(Close Window)
Topic: Billet gizmo
A while ago, I read about this neat little billet switching gizmo. It's a rod with a clasp on the end, which you use to hold the billet. Apparently, there was an electric switch you can push to make the billet change quickly and invisibly.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about?
[quote]
On 2007-08-16 19:00, SSG wrote:
A while ago, I read about this neat little billet switching gizmo. It's a rod with a clasp on the end, which you use to hold the billet. Apparently, there was an electric switch you can push to make the billet change quickly and invisibly.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about?
[/quote]
Perhaps you refer to this?

http://www.thecentertear.com/full/Magic-Tricks-Magic-Books-Magic-DVDs-32611-Mental-Gimmick-Robert-Nelson__3018.htm

Best,
Pier
That's it, pal.

Much obliged.
Check out The bold and subtle miricles of Dr. Faust for a non-tech version of this.
Pete
I’m not much of a fan of that Hoy switch.
I just sold a Nelson Mental Gimmick on the Café a few days ago. FYI, SSG, without giving anything away, it's not electric.
Isn't sticking a billet on the end of a rod rather an unnatural thing to do with it?

Barry
Hi Barry,

It does appear to lack a certain congruency. I am sure that the correct situation and story could cover it's unsual nature. However, I can already see the talk after the performance:

"I have no clue how he did it, but it must have something to do with that outdated clip on a stand!"

I had tongue in cheek when I called it outdated but, seriously, congruency is very important!

My two bits :)

-Paul
Yeah...what barry and paul said..

I mean, if you had a touch of the leprosy, fair enough...but, well, even if you're not all that comfy handling billets or switching yet, there's that barking dog bulldog clip gimmick..

or just a dab of changin' glue somewhere will get you the results needed...
Just met a chap at collectors weekend who was selling a version of an electronic switching box. It was well over priced. Otherwise I could have found a justification.
Isn't that linked item just an Ostin clip? If not, what advantage does it have over one?

Cayce
Barry:

Yes, sticking a billet on the end of a rod is an unnatural thing to do with it. But the audience will buy it if you give them justification.

My presentation: I make the prediction, set it aside, and promise that I will never touch it ever again!!!! Then, when it comes to read the prediction, I begin to reach for it and some wise guy ALWAYS says "Hey, you said you'd never touch it again." I roll my eyes a little, say fine, dig in my supply case a little, and pull out the clip. "There," I say. "Are you happy now? I'm not touching it. In fact, I'll give it to you. You touch it. Better yet, you open it."

All with good humour of course.
That rod that you are talking about is what I have used for more years than I can remember. I have a small bulldog clip on each end. When I ask a spec to give me a folded bill for example, I offer one end of the rod to him. As I turn to give it to another spec for assistance I switch ends and my hand now covers their bill while my bill is given to the other spec who will eventually verify the serial number. I only use this for a serial number divination. I always try to KISS