(Close Window)
Topic: Heiny 500
While at the recent Magic Live (which was fantastic BTW) I was fortunate enough to spend some time with Karl Hein and see his Heiny 500. Basically it is Karl's FABULOUS handling of Greg Wilson's Hundy 500 or Patrick Pages Flash Cash. Everyone who saw it raved about it. It really looks like magic. It's got some shows and changes that look like trick photography. Kozmo produced a DVD of this effect in explicit detail and I'd imagine we'll see it in about 3-4 weeks. WATCH for this. It is HIGHLY HIGHLY recommended.

Tim Trono
Interesting! I love paper money magic and I already do Wilson's Hundy 500. I wonder what makes this one so different.
Thanks for the heads up Tim. It sounds interesting.

Mark.
Well the changes and convincers just makes it look incredible. As you know I was a huge advocate for Greg putting out Hundy 500 as I loved it and helped Greg with getting it out (Karl recommends and sells the original in his lecture). When I saw Karl's I flipped. Once Ted (Kozmo) releases a trailer of Heiny 500 and you see it you'll buy it - period. On the DVD Karl shares some really interesting thinking about the EFFECT and his handling allows you to immediately repeat it so it's perfect for walk around. The bills seem to flutter open like flower petals as they change. It's hard to describe but just amazing looking. It could very well be one of the best bill change items out.

Tim
[quote]
On 2007-08-25 18:52, Tim Trono wrote:
While at the recent Magic Live (which was fantastic BTW) I was fortunate enough to spend some time with Karl Hein and see his Heiny 500. Basically it is Karl's FABULOUS handling of Greg Wilson's Hundy 500 or Patrick Pages Flash Cash. Everyone who saw it raved about it. It really looks like magic. It's got some shows and changes that look like trick photography. Kozmo produced a DVD of this effect in explicit detail and I'd imagine we'll see it in about 3-4 weeks. WATCH for this. It is HIGHLY HIGHLY recommended.

Tim Trono

Tim, I don't know if they quit producing but I've had the DVD for sometime now and it is great. Don't know if it is better than his shuffle but he is a great thinker. You might try Denny Haney to see if he has the DVD's.

Steve
[/quote]
Hi Steve. Heiny 500 was originally on Karl's lecture DVDs. The production of those DVDs left a bit to be desired though there is some excellent material and they were really for people who had attended the lecture. This is where I first saw Karl do Heiny 500 on a DVD I bought from Denny. The DVD that Kozmo produced (most likely out in October) has unbelievable detail, additional thoughts, etc. It's really meant to allow you to LEARN this and learn it correctly. Karl was at Magic Live wowing everyone with Heiny 500.

Tim
Danny Archer told me about this...I can't wait to see it
Sounds good!

Robert
Thanks for the info.
Any updates?
Tim ,do you have any more news on this project?
Update
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=223539&forum=111
Message: Posted by: TheAstonishingLarry (Oct 15, 2007 09:04AM)
Saw this demoed on the just released "Reel Magic Quarterly". An incredible piece of visual magic! Once you see it ... you'll want it. I know I do!
[quote]
On 2007-08-26 21:39, Benji Bruce wrote:
Danny Archer told me about this...I can't wait to see it
[/quote]

Hey man although I like your handiling as well, look for it you are going to love Heiny...
I saw the demo and it was cool looking.
Koz is now taking preorders for Heiny 500. I already have my order in.
Watching the demo on "Reel Magic Quarterly" forced me to place an order for it. I can't wait to get it. It is incredible and IMO light years ahead of the other versions.
I still like Greg's the best, but the Heiny is very good. That's what makes magic so great is finding what's you and works for you.
Is it better than slow burn?
It's now in stock at: http://www.themagicwarehouse.com
Is the setup exactly the same as Hundy 500 OR do I have to make a whole new gaff?

I,m running out of Hundreds!...:)
In stock here too...$25.95

http://www.bottsbeans.com/shop/index.php?productID=237
The Heiny 500 is great. Buy it and you won't be sorry.
[quote]
On 2007-11-02 02:35, MagicMan1957 wrote:
Is the setup exactly the same as Hundy 500 OR do I have to make a whole new gaff?

[/quote]

I believe it's the same setup as H500
[quote]
On 2007-11-14 17:59, afknight wrote:
[quote]
On 2007-11-02 02:35, MagicMan1957 wrote:

[/quote]

Actually, Karl mentions the setup briefly but refers the viewer to Greg Wilson's Hundy 500 for more indepth instructions for creating the gaff. If you want to end up with the same orientation of the bills as Karl uses, you'll have to modify the gaff slightly. If you do it exactly as described on Hundy, you'll be able to perform either version but there is a moment in Karl's presentation where the particular side of the single bill needs to be showing if you want to use his presentation - with the Hundy setup you'll need to modify the patter slightly... I'm working on a presentation that incorporates elements of both (at least until I have to spend the money!)

I believe it's the same setup as H500
[/quote]
Can you perform this with uk notes??
Hey Matt,

I'm afraid the gimmick won't allow you to change a £5 into a £50 because of the size issue but I perform Slow Burn (also uses Pat Page's gimmick) with receipts from a petrol station and change them to £20's, you could also cut up magazine articles or coupons from junk mail etc. You have to be a bit more careful but it is do able.

Ben
Wow, that looks amazing. I am really impressed by the new handling and will definitely have to check this sucker out. Thanks for the heads up -DP
I bought Heiny 500 and I think it's great. I use 1's to 10's (my wife said NO to 100's) Definitely worth the price...
I also do $1 to $10 (the new $10 bill) so it adds a flash of color when the change occurs. I also have Slow Burn and Hundy 500 and vary the routine between all three and find it helps keep it fresh.

The visual transformation in Slow Burn works really well with the different color of the $10 bill.
Recently received this and made it up. The handling is so smooth I fool myself while rehearsing.
Any word if they might re-shoot the explanation of building the gimmick? I was going to buy this but outside the Café I have had 3 seperate people here locally tell me that building the gimmick without gregs dvd is near immpossiable
[quote]
On 2007-11-29 09:08, Joshua Barrett wrote:
Any word if they might re-shoot the explanation of building the gimmick? I was going to buy this but outside the Café I have had 3 seperate people here locally tell me that building the gimmick without gregs dvd is near immpossiable
[/quote]

If you pause the DVD while the gimmick is on the table you'll be able to set it up without any problems. Keep the frozen frame in front of you while constructing the gimmick.
Hope this helps
Michaels
I think Hundy 500 works best with US currency (same size, same color). For other uses - changing paper to money - check out Peter Studebakers variation of the Page original. Its good! (Classic Studebaker DVD).
Roberto Giobbi has also a routine for Paper to money - as one expects from him very detailed.
Nick Lewin recently wrote, that Bruce Cervon performed a version, which was marvellous and inexplicable even for magicians. Does anyone know more about this?
This does seem like a great affect. I wonder if it matter which one/DVD you actually get between the Heiny and Hundy 500? It seems as though in the Hundy 500 that he might hand them out afterwards for examination.
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=223539&forum=111
Lukeko - it really doesn't matter which DVD you get. You cannot hand out the bills (all of them anyway) in either of the routines.

I think this is a great effect and actually have several different DVDs just so I could see different angles, patter, handling, etc. I have Hundy 500, Heiny 500, Slow Burn, 3-D Cash, Pat Page's #4 DVD with Easy Money and am certainly glad I got them all. They all offer something a little different.
I have Hundy and I love it. It Can be done surrounded
Message: Posted by: donkeys and waffles (Dec 4, 2007 10:28PM)
Aggie, I have hundy 500 as well and I really like the handling of the heiny 500. I perform the hundy all the time and it must be different in some way. I cant see doing the change that easily with hundy. Is it worth the 25 for the heiny if I already have the hundy ? Which one would you recomend next ? The slow burn or the heiny since I have hundy ? Thanks !
The gimmicks are "nearly" identical but the way Heiny is constructed allows for the unfolding visual change that Karl shows in the demo video. I would recommend Heiny over Slow Burn because I like it better.

It really blows people away when you show them the ones, fold them over in your hand and then right before their eyes, the bills unfold into $100s (or $50s in my case).
D&W,
There's a demo video at Kozmo's site that shows the presentation. If in your opinion it looks better than what you're doing, then you have your answer.
Message: Posted by: donkeys and waffles (Dec 5, 2007 08:10PM)
Thanks guys. I have done Hundy for months now and it is one of my favorite effects. I do like the rolling out of the 100s, it seems more magical and fair than flipping the money. Hundy is great but I think this is a better version.

Thanks again !!!
Got mine and love the idea, something so simple. Well I already had my gimmick do to a previous product. ONly issue I'm have is the Change. You know where he say to keep a Br. To prevent from the extra bill to flip? Well I have a hard time finding it with the pinky and they don't fall foward singly, almost like in twos or threes. Any thoughts?
I Like it, I ordered some million dollars bills and I'm gonna try it with those
Didn't like the million dollar bills as they were to stiff..

Don
Yeah, the ones I'm trying are rather cheap in price... however iv seen several different ones, anyone try the http://www.millbill.com bills?

all I know is I can't afford to do it with hundereds and id have a hard time having 20s tied up longer then a week right now
Message: Posted by: donkeys and waffles (Dec 23, 2007 10:24PM)
I bought some fake, real fake looking 5's from the costume/magic shop and I made copies to exact size of a real bill. I am going to make the fake 5's turn into real 5's. I do the 100 dollar ones but am constantly feeling to make sure they havent fallen out of my pocket. I think this extremely fake 5's to real 5's will be a strong effect too. Imagine passing out the fakes and some patter about counterfeiting and such and then in one motion, turn them into usable money. It would be easy to do at a bar and try to pay with fake fives. Say oh, I am sorry, I thought I had already changed these and switch to real fives. Hand them two or three of the five dollar bills to pay for a drink,check whatever. Have a few extra real fives to replace into packet and then you are ready to perform it again in seconds.
I think the Heiny 500 is a far superior handling then the Hundy 500 for most situations. I like the change back to the 1's, it's very natural and makes for nice patter.
I would not try to pay for anything with fake money, even in the context of a magic trick. All it takes is showing it to the wrong person at the wrong time and, BAM, charged with trying to pass counterfit money. And that would be a bummer.
Does anyone know if I can do this with magazine paper to money or singles to mismade bills?
Message: Posted by: donkeys and waffles (Dec 25, 2007 01:53PM)
[quote]
On 2007-12-23 23:49, tpax wrote:
I think the Heiny 500 is a far superior handling then the Hundy 500 for most situations. I like the change back to the 1's, it's very natural and makes for nice patter.
I would not try to pay for anything with fake money, even in the context of a magic trick. All it takes is showing it to the wrong person at the wrong time and, BAM, charged with trying to pass counterfit money. And that would be a bummer.
[/quote]

I guess I should have been clearer, I meant show or flash the fake ( mickey mouse fake) bills and then change them to real bills before handing out to be used as real currency. If someone tried to pass these fakes out and someone was stupid enough to cash them or to think that someone was really trying to use them, I would have to question the persons intelligence or lack thereof.

all that being said, I think it will be a great effect to hand out the fake 5's ( to spectators) and then take them back and switch them to real five dollar bills and if I did lose the packet, I wouldnt be near as upset as I would if I lost 606 dollars. :)
I just recently purchased this and must say that I'm very impressed with it. Yes, you can use magazine paper to money and singles to mis-made bills.
I have never done this type of trick and want to know if it would be easy enough for a beginner of money magic?
Yes, once you make the gimmick and practice a bit, it's very easy.
I just wanted to chime in that Karl showed me a few tips on this recently and I've been working on it for a brief time. This could be my favorite trick. When Karl does it, it looks like real magic and is probably the most visually stunning closeup illusion I've seen.

I had Hundy 500 sitting on my shelf, not wanting to commit the 100s, but after I saw the creator perform the illusion, I bought it immediately and made the gimmick right away. You can use magazines, fake money or probably almost anything with some thickness to construct the gimmick. I'd also agree this is pretty easy. If you have good dexterity, you might even have this ready the same day you make the gimmick.

Also, I watched Hundy 500 in the background once without paying attention, but I was able to construct the gimmick easily enough by just watching Heiny 500 without referring to the other DVD. Very impressive. The shuffle is also amazing.
Following the questions about magazines, I made up a Heiny 500 with 1s and magazine pieces. I used an off-white paint to color the tips of the magazine sheets and drew a smiley face for george, a pyramid on the back and the word "EAGLE".

It looks awesome!

I do a little a patter about how you can hypnotize people into doing things they normally wouldn't. I pull out the fold of magazine sheets and say, "These are Euros...no, no, obviously they are counterfeits. And pretty bad ones" (said as I show one of the magazine pieces to the spectators). Then I go into the Heiny "Look at the Pyramid" bit from the DVD and talk about how if you stare at it for a minute, it almost looks real, then finish the routine.

People seemed really wowed by this and I love it. Thanks for the magazine idea.
I might mention that I purchased from a crafts store a paper cutter called "Cutterpede". Its a small paper cutter that will make the task of making the magazine bill a lot easier.
Help! Okay, I am officially a dork.

Someone recently (I can find NO history of it either here on the Café' or my personal e-mail) was kind enough to send me a small video clip that was put together to help further explain how to build the Heiny 500 gimmick. I have my DVD, and finally the bills to do it, but now I can't find the video file on my PC.

Could someone be kind enough to resend it to me?

PM me for my email.

Thanks in advance...

Okay; After a loooong time searching, I found it. And now to make up for the annoyance and interruption here, if someone needs this, just PM me where to send it, and please, don't ask for it unless you have the DVD already (not only is it "bad form", but just having a gimmick does not mean you can do justice to the handling, of which Karl goes into very nice detail on the DVD....)

Back to real stuff now...

So what glue to you prefer for making your gimmick? Karl says rubber cement. I'm kinda iffy on that (have not tried it yet) because I suspect that will give additional weight and thickness to the gimmick.

I have tried several of my daughter's school glue sticks (because one says "permanent" and I do not want to permanently ruin $200), but...

1) The "washable" glue sticks do not seem to adhere to US currency (I'm fooling with 1's for now)

2) The "permanent" one (Avery brand) seems to adhere to the bills okay, and once it sets, seems reasonably sturdy and after 4 hrs of being "set", I can pull the bills apart and the stickiness is gone (i.e. the bills could be spent). I'm wondering if this could hold up to some number of performances...

What have your experiences been?
I have used rubber cement and I've made about 10 of these gimmicks so far. It works great, the weight is fine and then you can pull them apart and use them later.
How about the stiffness? I don't have any rubber cement handy to try tonite, but with these glue sticks, the gimmick is still pliable, but perhaps a little stiff. Had you tried anything else before the rubber cement?

Just looking to see some alternatives before mucking up the bills I got from the bank ;-)
Well, I was happy with the cement, so I haven't felt the need to experiment. The bills are slightly stiff with it, but I doubt any more than any other glue because rubber cement is very flexible. I only use a small amount.

The nice thing about it is it comes off the bills very easily so you can reuse them. I wouldnt worry about experimenting with it on 100s, because they pull apart easily enough and the you can just rub/use a little friction to remove the glue residue completely.
I have had the hundy 500 dvd for almost a year, and still havent gotten around to putting it together. do I think its not a strong effect? heck no! I KNOW it would ruin people. I just don't feel like having 606 dollars tied up and I remeber greg saying that its better and more magical to have it change to such a high denomination. have any of you that do it with ones to a smaller denomination noticed or felt a "lack" of wonder because its not a 100?

-ben
Just personally, I don't feel there is much loss. I agree that when the 100s pop, people's eyes bug out a little in a unique way. But, from newspaper->currency, the reactions is almost the same. And, I've got about 10 versions of this gimmick sitting around now, but the one I carry with me is magazines->singles.
I ordered "Heiny 500" today and am excited about learning it. I ordered it before reading the posts about the gimmick instructions being minimal. I will let you know how the construction project goes after I receive the DVD.
If you have an issue with the construction of the gimmick, let me know.

Thanks for buying Heiny.

koz
A beautiful version de FISM multi-winner FRED KAPS (1972) of "Newspaper to Dollar Bills" yet is insuperable in instantaneous visual impact!!! ("The lecture notes of Fred Kaps" - Ken Brooke/1973)

Viktor
KARDINI
Brazil
You gotta see Dean Dill's handling of the Heiny...simplicity, magical and clean as a whistle.
[quote]
On 2008-02-29 12:26, Pete Biro wrote:
You gotta see Dean Dill's handling of the Heiny...simplicity, magical and clean as a whistle.
[/quote]

The last time I handled a Heiny, I got slapped. ;)

- Frank
LOL....
[quote]
On 2008-02-29 12:26, Pete Biro wrote:
[/quote]

Where can I see his version?
I posted a couple of weeks ago that I had ordered Heiny 500, and would report on the construction of the gimmick. I did need to watch and pause the video a number of times to get things right, but I finally got it. A quick tip...I found that by using paper clips to hold the various parts of the gimmick together, before using rubber cement, I was able to be sure that I had it right before commiting to the final assembly. The DVD does a great job of explaining the routine. I spend my Summers in Denver, Colorado and received an email that Karl Hein lectured there last night. Alas, I am in Arizona for the Winter. Not all bad, but I would have loved to meet Karl and discuss the routine.
I love this routine, I'm almost sad that it was released on DVD - purely for selfish reasons. . lol. . . I had to do the legwork and find the lecture video at the magic castle library, sit down, watch it and take notes. .Even so. .i'll probably get the new DVD just to have it as a reference in my own library. I really do think This is STRONG magic.

Quick Question? forgive my ignorance. .when you guys are mentioning newpaper/magazine to bills using this effect. . .do you have piecs of newsprint/magazine cutouts the size of the bills?
Yes. I did the magazine to dollar bills routine many years ago. You just cut magazine pieces the size of bills.
I am doing the Heiny 500 using ones and hundreds. If you can afford to use hundreds, the impact is tremendous. Be careful. I was performing it for some people at a cocktail party the other day, and right when I turned them to hundreds a lady reached out and grabbed the stack and put it in her blouse. I got her to give it back, and the hundreds were intact, so I fanned them and ended the trick right then. In the future I will be very careful about the distance between me and my audience. It's too bad, because the effect is so smooth and clean that you can do it right under their noses, but once in a while someone just can't keep their hands to themselves!