(Close Window)
Topic: Source for skeleton key for haunted key?
As some of you know, I was in a bad wreck about a week ago. I overturned my truck, and my bladder was crushed, and I had to be flown via helicopter for immediate surgery. Long story short, I am alive, albiet with a tube in my yahoo and a mass of staples holding me together. Anyway, when they took me to the hospital, they removed my shorts, and I suppose just discarded them. This was unfortunate for me, because they contained my personal mojo bag which contained the following:

* a haunted key
* a stone I found in the ocean and have carried everywhere for 21 years
* a gaurdian angel stone given to me by a young friend years ago
* a human finger bone
* a dabloom coin
* a pk ring

The loss of some of these items hurts more than others, particularly the loss of the ocean stone and the gaurdian angel stone, as they cannot be replaced. But I am alive to find another stone, and my friend is still around, so I will get over their loss eventually.

So back to the topic, where can I find a replacement for the haunted key? Mine was nice and old looking, rusty, and it worked very well. Anyone? Bueler? Bueler?
Scott
Shots, I am sorry to hear about your accident and the loss of your things. One suggestion I have about the key is to use an antiqueing kit on a new one. I got a couple of such kits (one for copper/brass and another for steel/iron) a while back from Michael's (the craft store). These are not paint, but actually put patina or rust on the item. My own key is done just with copper and green paint (and looks pretty good), but I used the antique stuff on a foo can and it came out great.

Bill
Go to a local gun and knife show. There are usually lots of old locks and keys there. It's just a matter of knowing where to look. Another option would be to go to flea markets. If niether one of those pan out, try going to a locksmith shop and telling them what you want.

Margarette
Many years ago, antique stores frequently had old rusty keys. You could test them for balance for a haunted key routine. Then these keys became popular with interior decorators, and the supply dried up. Once in a great while an antique store here in New Mexico (where I got mine) will have a suitable key. However, it has been several years since I saw one.
Pi$$ tubes rule!!!
Good luck finding a key and I wish you a swift recovery and some cool scars... take care.
Scott,

Really, REALLY, sorry to hear about your crash. I did the same thing towards the end of last year, the car was full of gear (I was returning home from a show) but luckily I walked away from the wreck. Get well soon amigo.

Anyway, here's a link to a key you might enjoy.

http://www.magicurios.com/ModShop/ShowProduct/28480/
Scott
Glad you're essentially ok - and good luck!
Sounds like the Guardian Angel stone did it's job...maybe that's why it vanished? Or is it being passed on to someone else who will need it, like a benign Monkey's Paw?

Get well soon
Steve
The MagiCurios keys now come in a faux antique leatherbound book.
New pics will be up soon.
Simon
So sorry to hear about the accident, shots. Here's to a speedy recovery!
Scott hope that you are healing and resting comfortably. Be well.

John
Thanks for the kind words guys! I'm doing okay thanks to the magic of today's medicine, and I have a hellova scar to show for it. I may be able to pull a shrunken head from this new hole I have in my stomach! Well, maybe a miniature one anyway!

Seriously, thanks people. You all keep me motivated and inspired even on my worst days. And thank the dogs for bizarre magick! It keeps me going!
Hey, sorry to hear about your accident, but it is good to hear that you are improving quickly. As far as the key goes, I went the same route as Bill. After searching high and low for a suitable key, I ended up buying a magicians Haunted Key and using an antiquing solution on it. I think it looks really good.

Anyway, keep you spirits up and get well soon!

Dave
I don't know...looking for a new haunted key seems like such a waste when this might be your only chance to really leave them speechless with your haunted catheter routine.

Hope you find a speedy recovery.

I second the suggestion to take a look at flea markets. Even the tiny neighborhood ones here in NYC have a couple tables piled high with old locks and keys.
Shots, so glad to hear you are alright!
Ray Carlye sells a key already aged that I have enjoyed!

http://carlyletouch.com/PageOne.html

Take care Pal, glad you are still with us!
They have some nice keys here.
http://houseofantiquehardware.com/s.nl/sc.11/category.115/.f
Best wishes and a speedy recovery to you, Scott.
Hope you heal quickly Shots.

Have you asked the doctors what happened to your mojo bag? It doesn't seem right that someones personal possessions would just be discarded when they're injured, no matter how bizarre they might be (the possessions, not you ;) ).
I can endorse the Carlyle key referred to above. My key looks genuine (and is!), Within half an hour of its receipt, I got it going forward and reverse without any perceptible movement of the hand.

Comes complete with comprehensive instructions, including DVD - and not costly!

I have not been asked to review this item, but when there is so much overpriced material about, I think something really good should be recommended!
Hey Shots,

Sorry to hear about your accident and the loss of your items, but the fortunate thing is that you are OK. Things can eventually be replaced. People can't. Try looking around various flea markets and antique shops. You may be surprised at what you may find. I recently found some keys that work really well for the haunted key effect at a local antique shop. The fun part was watching the store owner as I tried the keys out. Finally when I found the one that I wanted that worked perfectly, I turned to the shop owner and with an evil voice I said..."I'll take this one". He didn't know how to react. It was classic. Good luck in your search.

:cheers:

Phil
Just found these, they're cheap and plentyful, and brass.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=180155228168&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=008
Scott, I hope you're doing better. How about an update?

After reading Leslie's post, I decided to order the Carlyle key myself. I'm glad I did. The key is terrific; the service I received, however, was *superb*. So another thumbs up for the Carlyle key.

Jeff
Thanks Jeff. I have a key on order, thanks for all the great leads you have provided. I got the catheter tube out last week, got my teeth repaired, and am slowly starting to heal--I can now cough without feeling like someone is stabbing me from the inside out! I am slowly replacing the items I lost.

The doctors didn't know anything about the items from my mojo bag, or what happened to my clothes. I still want to contact the EMTs and helicopter crews, both to thank them and to ask them about my bag. Who knows, one of them may be carrying my "good luck" bag as we speak, since although I had a bad wreck, I did survive. If that's the case, I may just have to let them keep it (but it would be nice to know one way or another).

Thanks folks--you are all an inspiration to me, and a pleasure to know.
Scott
"Who knows, one of them may be carrying my "good luck" bag as we speak".

And opening next week in Las Vegas!
[quote]

"Who knows, one of them may be carrying my "good luck" bag as we speak"
Scott
[/quote]

And opening next week in Las Vegas!
Scott, like DocSteve said, perhaps the Guardian Angel stone did its job. I'd like to think it did. It's time for collecting stuff for a new mojo bag.

If it means anything to you, I'll say this: I've never had a mojo bag, and since reading this thread I've been thinking of putting one together. Life goes on, and we learn from others.

Life goes on....

You're alive. You're alive. That's all the mojo anyone needs.

Jeff
Yeah, I was in a bad wreck myself on July 11 (7-11!) Two months ago today, matter of fact (still not walking without crutches).

Broke my Tibia and Fibula, they drilled into my leg and inserted a metal rod and pins.

Lost my TT (I only hope it rolled out onto the ER floor and was later spotted by a startled nurse!) but came out fairly OK, considering the van was entirely totaled!

Oddly enough, I failed the initial cognitive brain test (dang hard questions to answer post surgery I must say) and they never retested.

I know my mind's as good as ever (maybe even better.... I seem to have gained bizarre mental powers, right? ;) )

The time spent recovering has allowed me to reread many classics and practice the sleights (and most importantly, join this forum)>

A blessing in disguise, I must say.

Glad to hear you're in good shape overall, shots / Scott.

Now I gotta figure out how to magnetize this rod and pins in my leg!
Glad you are doing OK and that gear can gear can always be replaced... your angel will come back in another form for you to carry and the Ocean is timeless...

Carpe Nocturne, Shots!
And the story is told later...

"The paramedics said they thought that it was impossible for anyone to have lived through that accident. When I came to in the hospital, next to me on the table was my lucky bag. Still closed, with the string knotted in my special knot, and inside, was nothing. A bit of dust at the bottom, that was it. the items were worthless to anyone but me, who would steal them?
I finially decided that all the luck in those items had been completely used up, and then some."

"Pardon?"

"Why, yes, I do have a couple of extra bags that I might be willing to part with after the show, I would have to change some items so that it's attuned to you, but for the right price..."