(Close Window)
Topic: My Take on The Elevator!
As a fan of levitations, even before the Blaine-Balducci levitation phenomena, I was very excited to hear that Peter Loughran was releasing a brand new method of self-levitation. I waited in anticipation for my chance to take a look at what I thought, judging by the demo, was going to be an awesome effect to add to the world of self-levitation.

Well, today was the day -- I came home and waiting in my mailbox was the orange slip saying that my Elevator was waiting at the Post Office. I anxiously awaited until I could pick it up, and when I finally got home I practically tore the box open...

What I saw was one amazing piece of apparatus, to say the least. I immediately noticed that The Elevator is an extremely well-made mechanical marvel. The components that make up the gimmick are very heavy duty and very durable -- don't worry about this ever breaking down on you, NO way. It's simple in concept, but believe me, I doubt that ANYONE would ever think of this -- it is so clever!

Aside from the initial excitement of the gimmick itself, I popped the instructional CD in to learn about this new effect. I must say that Peter does an amazing job of explaining how to perform the Elevator. He breaks each part down, step by step, so that you don't ever have to rewind the tape to take another look. He teaches, in detail, the minor subtleties and the major moves so that you can be doing The Elevator minutes after watching the CD. Of course, it will take practice to perform it like Peter, but the practice pays off in the end.

The manuscript included is also an essential learning resource. There are certain issues regarding The Elevator, as well as a presentation very suitable for stage work, included in the manuscript. It also has a section that tells how to register your Elevator with Peter and L2 Illusions, which gives you complete performing rights of the effect. I thought that this was another great idea as well.

In conclusion, I was extremely satisfied with my purchase, and I'm sure that everyone who buys one will be. It's simple in concept, built to last, looks amazing, and is pretty darn clever, to say the least. I think it would be a great follow-up to King Rising, too (OK, shameless plug!).

One last note -- Peter worked extremely hard to create the method for The Elevator, and of course to get them manufactured. Let's keep it a secret! :D

Great job, Peter! It's one heck of an effect...
Corey thanks for the great comments!

As most of you know, Corey was the creater of the infamous King's Rising, so this really makes us feel great here at L2ILLUSIONS! Corey has stood by my effect since day one. A personal thanks to you from all of us here at the workshop, and behind the scenes of L2ILLUSIONS.

P.
Accurate and honest review Corey. As for me, Peter's [b]Elevator[/b] is probably gonna end up being my mainstay for performing street levitations. I've only been practicing with it since Saturday, and I'm feeling very comfortable with it.

However Corey, I also feel I need to throw some kudos your way as well, as [b]King Rising[/b] has recently become my favorite stage levitation (utilizing my box variation of which you are aware). It went over great before a group of about 15 (adults this time) this last Friday and I'm now convinced more than ever that you under-priced this levitation. I'm seriously having a tremendous amount of fun with it.

So I have to say thanks to both you and Peter for having added greatly to my repertoire.

Leo Martin
I ordered mine Sunday, and I'm anxiously waiting. How long did you guys wait?!!

I ordered from Hocus Pocus. Peter, you should really try to take credit cards online from your site. It's much faster than sending payments through the mail. That's why I decided to use Hocus Pocus.
yoey-

I believe that they are completely sold out, so you may have to wait a couple more weeks to get your unit. Don't quote me on that, but I'm 99% positive.
I'm very happy to read here that "competitors" support each others' creativity. It's nice to see such professionalism and honest reviews that come from the heart.

How many of you pros out there are asked on a daily basis, "Hey, dude! Can you levitate like David Blaine?" Like him or hate him, David Blaine has made the Balducci levitation the most-talked-about illusion of the beginning 21st Century.

I hate the Balducci itself because of its restrictions. That's why I don't perform it.

I dislike the current levitation gimmicks on the market because I do not like the fact that I have to alter or tear-apart my clothes, and the gimmicks that do not require the above are not convincing enough for my tastes.

Now I can finally to a levitation about which I am pleased! Almost every angle restriction has been solved, no worries about tearing apart your wardrobe, and now I can stop worrying about selling myself out to Beelzebub again and taking out two mortgages on my soul!

This thing is smart, self-contained, priced just right, and all the kudos go to Peter Loughran for thinking this thing up! Heck with the kudos, a standing-O is in order.

I'm PO'd about one thing, though: I didn't think of it first. Great job, Peter. You are to be commended.

One last thing: if you haven't purchased this or even seen it done, you gotta see Peter in Action with it! The video itself is fairly large but worth the wait. It's up on Hocus Pocus' site at:

http://www.hocus-pocus.com/static/clips/elevatoxr.mpg

You can either click on it and watch or right-click on the link itself and "Save Target As" to your computer. I hope I'm not stepping on any toes by posting the link. If so, let me know, and I'll remove it.
Hi,

Number 93!

I got mine yesterday. Looks very cool. Just need to practice a bit more. :bg:

Well done, Peter. Il have fun with this. :wow:

Lewis.
[quote]
On 2003-02-11 11:59, yoey2000 wrote:
Peter, you should really try to take credit cards online from your site, it's much faster than sending payment through mail. [/quote]

Peter, how about setting up a paypal account? It will take you about 5 minutes and will mean that those who want to order directly from you can do so with a credit/debit card. They will charge you about 3% but I am sure this is a lot lower than the discount you are having to give to the middle men. I have not seen the illusion in person but it sounds amazing. From what I read, you well deserve to keep every Penny paid. Cut out the middle man!

I am sure you know, but if not, Paypal can be found at http://www.paypal.com

Thanks

Duncan
If they were sold out, wouldn't they have told me that?
I am just wondering if there are any weight restrictions? I have looked at different sites to include: hocus-pocus and http://www.masterofillusions.ca. Neither site addresses it. Thank you, Michael
The weight issue has been mentioned earlier... somewhere in the original mega-thread on the Elevator at the link below:

[url=http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=19627&forum=29&339]Peter Loughran's New 'Elevator' Street Levitation[/url]

It's a huge thread and it'll probably take you a long time to find the answer, but it's in there. If memory serves, I believe Peter stated that weight was not an issue. And being an owner of the Elevator myself, I'm fairly certain that this is indeed the case. In my personal observation... once you've practiced with it a bit, it shouldn't matter how much you weigh.

Leo Martin
Weight limit is approximately 1000 lbs, so I think it is safe to say there are no weight limitations unless your neighbourhood elephant borrows the device. It can support this weight because of the way it has been designed, adding unbelievable strength to the device. We experimented with a lot of different options in physics in order to come to the final product.

P.
All right, Peter,

I have to give in and order your absolutely incredible levitation. This has nothing to do with the fact that you have been so open and honest about [i]every single detail[/i] of it during the pre-release or the fact that everyone who owns it loves it! No, Peter, it comes down to the fact that your avatar has a pretty girl in it and that is good enough for me.

Mat

P.S. BTW can I get it quicker through you or should I just wait for Hocus Pocus to get it in stock?

P.P.S. I would rather get it as quick as possible, so if I can send you a check, from MA, sooner than you are shipping it to them please PM me so that I can have attractive girls in my avatar as well. LOL!!!!
Well Peter, RandomEffects may be an easy sell, but I'm still not convinced. Sure, most everyone who has one seems to love it, and most feel it's worth more than you're charging, and you've offered to fix it if it should ever need repair, and you've answered every question posed about it, from the reasonable to the asinine, in painstaking detail, going so far as to make a new online video clip tailored to people's requests, and you've even got an attractive girl in your avatar... BUT there's one thing you still haven't told us...

How the heck do you pronounce your last name?

Specifically, which "ough" sound is used? The one from tough? Trough? Though? Thought? Through? Plough?

The video claims we won't forget it. Well of course we won't, if we're not even told how to pronounce it in the first place! This is exactly the type of technically-true-yet-misleading wordplay typical of sleazy magic dealer ad copy. These other pushovers may have fallen for it, but I for one will not fork over my cash until you clarify this matter.

:) :) :)

Quinn
Just wondering, how much postage need to send it to Hong Kong?

Or should I ask Hocus Pocus?
How much postage to ship the girl? Will Hocus-Pocus do that?
Mike Giusti makes an excellent point that Blaine brought the Balducci to prominence. What's interesting is that before his first TV special, Blaine performed the levitation very sparingly. Reporters would request it, and he would demur until just the right moment and then spring it on them.

I think that the Elevator is potential "miracle man" stuff. I would hope that we all perform it sparingly and build it up for greatest effect. Doing it at the drop of a hat reduces it to just another trick. Self-levitation is a far cry from card tricks and making coins disappear. It puts you in a different category.

If you don't think that doing a signature piece sparingly and at the time when it plays to your greatest advantage is the way to go, see how readily you could get Uri Geller to bend a spoon or David Berglas to find your card at any number.
They don't perform these pieces often, but when they do, they kill.

Bob
Thank you, Bob. I couldn't agree more.

There are a lot of tricks out there; but this is one of those few illusions that could and should play like mentalism -- meaning that it should be done deliberately, seriously, and with a perceived chance of failure.

Performed correcty, it should be perceived as real. And such real powers can only be invoked when all the conditions are right. When that happens, it's a special occasion, and one that people should talk about for a very long time.

Remember: Yogis have been attempting levitation for thousands of years. Practitioners of Transcendental Meditation often envision themselves in a floating state, and some swear that while meditating they have left the ground. We now have the incredible power to help an entire audience experience this. I hope we'll use that power wisely.
I couldn't agree more with you guys!

Quinn, thanks for making me smile!

It's pronounced LOCK-RAN (Loughran) it's an Irish name.

P.
Man, six guesses and I still miss. Guess I won't be doing psychic readings anytime soon.

Quinn
That's funny, Quinn. Well at least now you know!

Before I forget, I wanted to mention that we are currently putting together a booklet made up of original presentations, ideas, notes, tips, all gathered from magicians around the globe. It should be released next month.

This booklet will only be made available to those who have registered the product with us.

If you have an idea and would like to contribute, then email me, and I'll inform you of the details.

We have already collected tons of amazing stuff. This will be a great resource for you Elevator owners out there.

P.
That's great of you doing that Peter. Looking forward to seeing everybody's ideas in print.
Well I don't have mine yet, but I have an idea Peter...think ballerina! I don't know if it will work until I get my elevator :(

Nathan Pain
After receiving the effect yesterday, I am pleased to report that Peter has not only done some excellent thinking here, but has created something that is NOT a do-it-straight-out-of-the-box solution.

In my opinon, that's a very good thing, because when the type of magic enthusiast who wants to quickly learn "automatic" tricks first tries this, he will fail, give up, and get rid of it (I saw two on ebay yesterday). That leaves the performance of this effect in the care of those who care enough to perfect the technique and the presentation.

At least, that's the theory that's helping me sleep nights.
This is very true. As I've said before, the Elevator is not an illusion that performs itself... but then, how many great illusions do?

I've spent some good quality time on on both technique and presentation with the Elevator... which is something that I'm sure any [i]"serious"[/i] magician will do. The rest will lose interest.

I too take comfort in this. No need for half hearted presentations of a great illusion.

Leo Martin
Im going to the world's largest magic convention in Blackpool, England next week.
Any dealers that sell ELEVATOR in Blackpool?
http://www.blackpoolmagic.com/
Any shoe restrictions? I don't even own a pair of black shoes.
:confused: :confused:
Yes, your shoe size has to be at least 13 triple e with four inch heals, half black on one side and half brown on the other. Just joking, it can be done barefoot if you want. You will love the thought behind this,well worth the money. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :dancing: :bigdance: :kiss:
Well, Peter's "Elevator" is really cutting
edge man. Thanks again Peter. (Nice first name..LOL!)

Take a look for my take on the "Elevator" on:
http://www.peter-eggink.nl/elevator

Take care,

Peter Eggink
PE Illusions
Your video is awesome! I'm glad I ordered the elevator even more now

Nathan Pain
Man, Peter that video is awesome. I can't wait for mine to get here. I just hope HP gets them quick because I am so eager to start practicing this illusion.
Oh yeah, I know that feeling.

I'm sure you guys will love the "Elevator"
I still fool myself when I watch the vid.

Best,

Peter
Everytime I levitate facing the spectator I always get accused of tip-toeing on my back foot, even when I do the mid-air rotation.

So I finally developed my own method... Well, since I can't tell the set-up without giving away the secret I'll just write the effect.

While my back is facing the specs, I levitate 3-4 inch off the ground. Then I do a quarter rotation, allowing the specs to view both my feet sideways.

I've already performed this to several people and it baffles all of them. They think I'm doing Balducci. Then suddenly I rotate without my feet touching the ground to prove them wrong :bg:
Finally been able to see this lev and must say it is really really very good. Amazing actually. One definitely pursuing.
Hats off to Peter for his work.
Vernon
Which PETER do you mean?..LOL! :bigsmile:
Sleightmaster's video is a great demonstration of this trick.

By the way, how did he spin so smoothly? I think he's holding on to something.
Well, it costs me a lot of practice to find out my "balance" point on the Elevator.

I just found out how to do so after many many hours of playing around with the unit.

However, anyone of you can do this.
Don't give up on it. It's to good for that..
It really pays off.

Peter Eggink
Sleightmaster
Hello Folks,

I just received my Elevator today! Here is my review as a creator and manufacturer of magic myself. I spent plenty of time prediciting the method/gimmick. I was wrong on ALL counts. When I opened the package, I looked at Shelley and said with a LARGE smile, "BRILLIANT on ALL counts!" I would have paid $100 for the secret alone! Honestly. Some people spend far too much time analyzing the value of an item based on labor & parts while completely ignoring the value of the secret itself.

Peter, I will do my best to promote a confidence in anybody of interest in your product, as I give this effect 10 Stars! I look forward to giving this the practice and time it deserves and present it in the most magical way possible. Thank you for a GREAT effect! I wish you many years of returns for a your wonderful idea.
Chance Wolf
:bigdance:
Sleightmaster, just watched your video on the elevator and have to give you a round of applause on your performance. Well done.
Thehawk,

You made my day ;)

Thanks again,

Sleightmaster
I received my Elevator one week ago today. After playing with it all of last week and working on a presentation that fit my situation, I finally tried it on my wife last night. She freaked out!! The convincer that I was really "floating" was the placement of flashlights on either side of my feet, lighting the floor while I was up in the air, proving that there was nothing at all under my feet but air. Another one of Peter's great ideas!!

Bill Beach
Sleightmaster, your video was very good, it was so clear and in full light, something I haven't been able to watch before. A really nice initiative! I liked the chewing gum that was stuck under your left shoe...

Mikael
I have just received this effect and I can assure you, it will work in [i]more[/i] applications on the street than you can imagine. This gimmick will be as good...wait...GREAT as you choose to make it! Spend the money and join in on the fun...or...maybe not. I want this as exclusive as it can be.
Chance Wolf
Oh yeah,

And Peter, Sleightmaster. . . thank you for showing us another view of this effect. I've ordered mine and can't wait to give it a shot.

Daniel
dbull@austin.rr.com
I got mine and I must say it's great! I'm still trying to get the one little hard part down pat but when I do, lookout spectators! Peter, your product is a steal at the price. Great going, Peter. :magicrabbit:
Is there anyone who performed the Elevator in front of "Real" people and what were there reactions?

Gee... I love this thread. Can't stop talking about it.

Any comments?

Peter
Everyone I've showed it to LOVES it. People really do freak out. It's so much fun to do for people!

Great video by the way, Peter E.
Thanks Corey,

When your creation, the "King Rising," was
released I ordered it and made a video clip of it, which I had emailed to Brad from Ellusionist. I wonder if you have ever seen that vid. (I was the guy with the pillow.)

Although I'm anxious to see your performance of the "Elevator" someday.

Peter
Just a quick reminder that we are still accepting submissions for the booklet we are producing through Hocus Pocus.

The deadline will be March 7th.

Please email (no PMs, please) your ideas, presentations, etc., and we will review them.

If it has not already been thought of or submitted by someone else and we like it we will use it in the booklet, with your permission, of course.

You will have to sign a release form, but in exchange for your contribution we will credit your name in print next to your submission, and of course send you a copy of the booklet.

We already have tons of valuable routines and tips. This will be a must have for Elevator owners. We will only be charging a small fee to help cover the costs of the booklet and for postage.

Just remember that this booklet will only be available to those who have registered the product with us. An Elevator can only be registered once. Also, those who have a submission to contribute must also be registered with us.

Thanks for your time, and we would love to hear from you.

P.
sleightmaster-

Probably! Brad sends me the clips of King Rising that people send to him. I don't remember yours off-hand, but I'm sure I've seen it.

He recently sent me the compilation video you mailed to him, too. Good stuff -- I loved your slight variations on Ripped and Restored.

Peter L,

I just printed out the release form and will have it out to you this week. The booklet should be awesome.
Corey,

Maybe you want to check out my "Torn"
demo video,the whole routine is on the vid.

here is the download:
http://www.magicvideodepot.com/view.php?a=v&t=353

Well, I've bin flying arround the most of the day,(Again) and I must say that I really appreciate the "Elevator" more and more...

Thanks again Peter L.

Peter Eggink
Sleightmaster
Just ordered the elevator from hp. hope it comes soon as i am in the u.k.

Has anyone else received it in the u.k, i would like to know how long it took. Can't wait....... :yippee:
Rusty - my elevator took about 5 days. I was impressed with Fedex who delivered it. You can check the progress on the net and although I was out when they tried to deliver, I phoned and popped to the depot that evening. I was there as the van arrived and they went and got it for me - about 8 minutes wait.
Graham
Ordered "The elevator" direct from Peter last week! Peter emailed me that I should be receive it early this week. Hoping it will be delivered monday! I hear it's fantastic from the reviews.
Gerry :cheers:
I recieved mine last week. Thought I had reasonalby good balance. Realize its not so... Need to practice further. Has any one else had problems with balance and staying up...
Paris< I'm having problems with the balance also. I think it's going to take me some practice but I'm confident I'll improve. Also, I heard there will be a tips booklet out so make sure you register your elevator. :dance:
I'm also got the balance problems, any good idea please pm me.
got mine today!

WOW! first impression is that the elevator is very clever and is an illusion that can be done easily with practice.

it will be a while before i am confident to do it live on the street but i need to practice more.

Fantastic effect - i don't know if anyone has already thought of this but i thought of doing a balducci first and then do the elevator. This way your doing a 360 degree levition with a 90 degree floating rotation thrown in.

:wow:

Worth every Penny and i can't stop playin!!!!

Thanks Peter!!!!
To all you performing guys (and gals):

When a lay audience sees you performing using The Elevator, how do you keep some "wise guys" from IMMEDIATELY dropping to the floor to "see what's under your feet", etc.? And, how do you handle the situation if someone does immediately drop to the ground to look under your feet?----Especially in Street Performance situations?

Turk
Turk,

Actually your spectators can get pretty close to the ground and close up without seeing anything as evident in the demo video. But if you see someone dropping down and practically lying down on the ground to look underneath, you simply land at the same time, and instantly there is nothing for them to find or see. Your "outs" with the elevator are unbeleivable, which also makes this lev so user friendly.

P.
i live in the uk and just orderd the elevator but now im thinking will the vid work as we use pal over here
It's a CD -- it goes in your computer and should work just fine.
o ok thank you my mistake