(Close Window)
Topic: Steinmeyer's- Bunko!
I wanted to make note of Jim Steinmeyer's routine, Bunko! and say how wonderfully strong it is and easy to do. The bogus bills provided with the routine are beautifully made and make the changes that occur during the routine crystal clear for those watching. Also Jim Steinmeyer has again done a stellar job of creating two fine scripts that can provide a nice outline for creating your own presentations or simply adjusted to your own style/ personality. Hornswoggled! has been in my repertoire for many years and it's great to have another routine of it's caliber. Everything Richard Kaufman has written in the advertisement for this trick is accurate. Get it, I think you'll agree.
Sounds interesting. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this routine.

Mark. :)
It sounds like a great routine, and you can get it from Jim's [url=http://www.jimsteinmeyer.com/catalog/miscellaneous/]Site[/url] ..
I ordered it hope he send s it out fast =D
Any other reviews on this yet?
Sadly no, I ordered from jim's site over a week agi and emailed him. I have not been charge and no replays have been sent to me. I want to support creators but I'm gonna just cancel and buy it from hocus-pocus soon
It is also available in http://www.themagicwarehouse.com

Jeff
Bunko is also available at MJM magic, who offer free shipping and a 10% discount for returning customers.
(+ some of the best customer service I've experienced at an online magic store).

If you payed more than $21.75 for this gem (with the 10% off and free shipping) check out MJM.
Jim Steinmeyer's Bunko is a wonderful new release. It is worth the $18.95.
Bill, I not only got your point, but bookmarked your shop in the process.
Once again - in Europe we do not have bills of the same size. I assume to do this with real money it requires bills of the same size?

Also I don't think the description of the effect does me any wiser. What does the spectator see?

"Twenty dollars in change (five singles, three fives) changes to $19, then $14, back to $20... And at the end, the sucker ends up with just thirteen dollars."

Is it a lot of visual magic? How does it compare to Hundy 500?
Hundy 500 is a variation of the magical 100 dollar bill switch.
Bunko is a short change con, which is a take off of a real "short con" from days gone by.

The two effects may share some methods (although they don't have to) but the effect itself is very different.

The effect of Hundy 500 is a magical transposition, as are most "sudden" changes.

Steinmeyer's Bunko is a short change routine, and is a variation on an old street con that involves giving and taking money, in effect a customer giving money to a store owner and in the end leaving with more than he went in with, or leaving with a product and only having paid half of what was owed.

A short change routine is more like the three shell game, or three card monte than it is like a classic magic effect.

(Yes, you would require bills of the same size.)
Thanks a lot.

I assume the Bunko bills are examinable??? or? To what extent are the bills examinable.
You're getting into questions that would require you to purchase the effect in order to get answers!
I'll end my part of this conversation by saying it's a fantastic routine, and gets great reactions from those who watch it.
Hi, Just had a chance to review this thread again. All I can add to this discussion is get it. You won't be sorry in my estimation. When ordering remember that Mr. Steinmeyer's items are sent out through Hahn Publishing. My Bunko set arrived in a very timely manner, much sooner than I had expected. I continue to do this effect to excellent reactions from my spectators. I'll say it again the price is almost a give away for such a great routine. Vraagaard, the bills supplied are quite good. I'm sure once you get a set you will see ways to set this up in European bills without much difficulty. I think you may even choose to use the bills provided. Hope this helps.
Thanks a lot for your answers - I will look into this effect.
Does anyone know if there are any video demos or presentations of this effect on the web?
Message: Posted by: TheAstonishingLarry (Oct 29, 2007 08:50AM)
Just received mine last week from HP and though I have yet to learn it well enough for a performance, here’s my take.

The fake bills included are beautiful … no, they don’t look like real currency … much easier to tell the “fives” and “ones” apart as they’re different colors … and the fact that they’re printed on a glossy, thin card stock means they handle more like cards that paper money.

The instructions are beautifully done … very easy to follow. The patter is what makes the effect. This is much more involved than the typical Hundy 500 presentation, “Hey, you want to see something pretty neat?” [Not that there’s anything wrong with that approach, I just don’t think it would work here given that the bills aren’t real].

The promotional material refers to Bunko as “magic theater” … pulling the audience into the accompanying story while the “magic” happens in your hands (there’s an alternate story too if you don’t like the first). The handling (if you can call it that) isn’t at all difficult, it’s just learning the patter while counting the bills repeatedly and always coming up with a different total … to do this justice, you should have the patter down pat so it comes out like a story that maybe happened to you … or someone you know.

I guess to sum it up, I’d say that Bunko is like Color Monte with paper money. It lends itself to the same type of presentation … “Hey, you’ll never believe what happened to me the other day … “

Regards,
Larry
I am having a bit of trouble with one part of the routine where you show $14. Anyone else stuck at this part?
I find that all the other counts are fine.
Cheers,
denis
Denis,

PM me with your problem, and I will see if I can help you make sense of it.

RevJohn
I notice that Vraagaard asked if the bills are examinable, but if I'm not mistaken, he did not receive a response. I'm curious about this as well. Does anyone have the answer?
I recently obtained this effect and have been working with it. As far as the bills being examinable, I think I may safely say this: the entire routine is extremely subtle and straightforward. There is a small portion that is unexaminable, but in the end that part is cleverly and cleanly disposed of, and what remains IS examinable. The disappearance and reappearance of the bills as they are counted out several times is increasingly astonishing due to the fact that the counts appear to be so straightforward and without any fancy moves. It is practically a self-working trick.

The most difficult part of it is perhaps the patter matching up with the moves, but Jim has made a built-in way of remembering the sequence of events by placing a small, unobtrusive little "code" on the bills that acts as a reminder. Jim really thought of everything here, which I'm sure comes as no surprise to anyone.

The finale gives a strong appearance of finishing clean, but even there a little audience management may be required, but nothing major. I believe the effect is well worth the money. As the instructions state, it is a great little bit of "magic theatre."
Terrific review. Thanks for the info, Curt, I'm placing my order now.
In the ad copy, it states that it can be done with real bills (it tells you how to make them). My question...
Does it play as well with real bills?
Thanks for your help.
Rich
Rich,

It mentions that you can use real bills, but it also suggests you laminate them. I would stick with the bills that come with the effect, as it fits the story line quite well.

Just my two cents.

John
I do have to say that I have received Bunko and absolutely love it!! I had a thought on the idea of using real bills and you could justify the lamination of them. You could always say that they were the bills that were actually used in the storyline (provided you could find bills that old still in circulation or you could sort of change the characters that were used in the storyline). Of course I'm referring to the first storyline.
If anyone has both can you tell me how Danny Archer's Big Bucks and Bunko differ?

Thanks

John
I heard the new 5's are out. They are supposed to be a different color, like a purple shade. If so, I see a set of real bunko bills is in my future!
The investment to use real currency isn't that bad, just remember to laminate them, makes the handling better. I've started using it for my presentation and haven't been questioned about it...but then again maybe they're just being nice.....and all this time I've been a horrible magician that people tolerate.....

I'll see you guys later, there's a corner with my name on it that looks ripe for the fetal position.
[quote]
On 2008-03-11 20:00, johncesta wrote:
If anyone has both can you tell me how Danny Archer's Big Bucks and Bunko differ?

Thanks

John
[/quote]

wish I could give you some insight on this but I'm not familiar with Big Bucks, but Danny makes some quality stuff. Just not sure what the differences would be, but both Danny and Jim are very accesible people you could always try to email one, the other or both. Hope that helps.

Danny B.