(Close Window)
Topic: Daryl in Kutztown Pa.
32nd Anniversary of S.A.M. Assembly #92 on Saturday November 10.
The BEST ALL DAY Magic Convention. Featuring :
DARYL
Close up Show
Lecture
Daryl will also headline the full evening show
(other acts to be named later)
The best part:
All day convention...$40.00
Includes Close up show by Daryl
lecture by Daryl
Full evening show ...,,closing act..Daryl
Afternoon Magic Auction
Dealers All day!
Magic Flea Market
Special Guests to be announced .
And the most important part........
price includes ALL YOU CAN EAT FAMILY STYLE DINNER!!!!!!
Place: Kutztown Grange Hall, Kemp & James Street
Contact information:
Bob Remaly....610-432-3612
Wayne Shiflett....610-603-0499 MAGICWAYNE@verizon.net
Mingus Magic Shop...610-372-7920 ... mingusmagicshop.com

Reserve your tickets today!!!
The dinner is PA. Dutch Style. So, for those of not from the area, we like to eat!
I can't wait, I have been a big Daryl fan for a long time, and he never comes to the east coast. I also look forward to meeting my angry friend Magestic12, or Magnificent12, what ever this shadowy figure's name is. The guy who loves Kutztown more than anything, but no local magician actually knows him personally.

I thought that Paul Hallas was lecturing too. Thank goodness I will see Paul at MM III on November 4 which is the previous Sunday.
I do not know if Magesttic12 will be there, or who he is. But I hope a lot of Café memebers can meet & have a good time together. My name is Rich Gerber, & I will be there, look for me & say Hello. Al, I have had the pleasure of meeting you before & look forward to seeing you again. I also hope to meet some new friends.
That is what this convention is about, a small friendly convention. Last year Greg Wilson was the headliner. He was surprised at how the atmosphere was. It reminded him of the old days, when people got together to mingle & do magic. Good things come out of that! Please come, say Hello, & let's bulid a friendship.
Magicians helping magicians. That is what I like to see.
I look forward to meeting everyone there!
Rich
I have already turned down bookings so I could see Daryl. What about Paul Hallas?????

Every magic convention I attend I demo, or teach the "boomerang rubber band" trick to whoever askes me. This is a word of mouth trick, and when Don Cox taught it to me he made me promist to keep the oral tradition alive, so if you ask me I will share it with you for free.
Paul Hallas will be there. I know he is a dealer and I do believe he is doing close up with Daryl and Kianoa Harbottle.
Just in.... Rumor has it Justin Miller will be attending also. Most likely he'll be a dealer and be in the close - up show.
The rumors are true! We ill let you know the official answer this week.
Justin N. Miller
This is starting to look like a big time magic convention in a small town. I intend to tell all of my friends at SAM4, and IBM6 about this convention.
Spread the word...
I know you have been there Al, it really is a good convention.
I think G-man talked Justin into attending.
Lol
Sounds like a great time sorry I will miss it.
Paul Hallas, Justin Miller, Kainoa Harbottle, and........DARYL! Plus ALL YOU CAN EAT FAMILY STYLE DINNER. For $40.00
Plus.. other acts to be named.
Hope to see you there!
DO NOT MAKE THIS ONE DAY CONVENTION MAGIC'S BEST KEPT SECRET!!!!!!!!!!
Special announcement. I will not be attending, thank you.
I will be there as well. I love this event.

Hope to see everyone as well. Please stop by my flea market table and say hi!!

S. Patrick
[quote]
On 2007-09-29 23:31, MagicSanta wrote:
Special announcement. I will not be attending, thank you.
[/quote]

Great, that means there will be food left for everyone at the buffet
Majestic12
I will be wearing my grey top hat so you can find me.

Santa is a friend of Daryl's they are both from San Jose.
Welllll,
It's official! I will see you all on Nov. 10th at the best one day convention.
Justin N. Miller

Be sure stop by and say hi at my dealer booth.
Is there really a place called Kutztown? I'm thinking this is a set up.
Santa
The Pennsylvania Dutch are a strange group of people. There is a Kutztown, a Blueball, and a Bird in hand Pennsylvania. When you drive to Kutztown you must navagate through the 20 mph Amish horse and buggie traffic in order to get there.
Actually Kutztown College is pretty popular. Andre Reed (Bills) went there, and a lot of other proffesional athletes went there, all Presidents from Ronald Reagan spoke there And I think it's there 33rd Annual magic banquet/convention this year. I'm trying my hardest to come to the East Coast to make it we'll see how nice my boss is.
It truely is the best one day convention
Hey Al, if I go I'll be looking for ya (boomerang)
Do not forget Virginville, which is close to Blueball, Pa. My mother-in-law is related to the Kutz's that the town was named after. It is a great location. Whithin 3 hours you can be in New York, or Washington. Fall is a beautiful time to be in Northeastern, Pa. It is no set-up, just a friendly convention!
[quote]
On 2007-09-26 15:05, richgerb86 wrote:
I think G-man talked Justin into attending.
[/quote]

Huh...what??? Did I have another brain fart and forget to do that sorry Justin.

George
I will let it slide this time g-man.
Look forward to seeing you.
Justin N. Miller
I look forward to this every year. There is only one problem with this convention....
Going back a few years we could take a trip to the great Kutztown Tavern and have a beer in the middle of the day. Now there is so much going on that we can't find time during the afternoon for that drink. Oh well there is always afterward.

This is a great day loaded with great people and great magic.
Do not forget to mention Kutztown Tavern is a micro- brewery. They brew their own beer. A great place to eat & drink......& do some magic. It is a good friendly old fashioned convention! More special guests in the works! Details to follow!
I just found out that Jay Mattioli will be at kutztown also. He is also giving a lecture and stage performance. Wow two lectures http://www.popmagicians.com/jaymattioli_assemblies.html

How can a convention have this much talent and only cost $40 W/ a banquet style dinner?
Daryl, Justin Miller, Paul Hallas, Kianoa Harbottle, Jay Mattioli, Almar, Martini, and probably more to come.
It looks like the SAM assembly#92 is trying to top last year. WOW.
ps. I miss your hilarious meetings over at Mingus Magic Shop
Is there a website for this convention? If so, does anybody know the web address?
Thanks.
http://www.kutztownmagic.rhomepage.com/
[quote]
On 2007-10-08 18:14, Justin N. Miller wrote:
http://www.kutztownmagic.rhomepage.com/
[/quote]

I was told the website should be reconstructed in a couple days, so please stay tooned for further info.
I know the schedule will change ( for the better) of events.
This is how it looks so far as I been told:
10am to 1:pm Flea market
12pm to ?? lecture (Jay Mattioli)
1pm to ?? Auction
2:45 to ?? lecture (Daryl)
4:30 to ?? Close up show (Daryl, Justin Miller, Kianoa Harbottle, Paul Hallas)
6pm to 7:30 All U CAN EAT banquet style dinner
8pm to ?? Stage Show - emcee Martini , Jay Mattioli, Almar, and of course Daryl and maybe one more surprise.

Dealers open all day except through Daryls Lecture
Mingus Magic
Ziggys
Justin Miller
Martini
Paul Hallas
Jay Mattioli
Daryl

Again this schedule could change
I just heard that Eric Jones might be coming to the Kutztown show. Hey guys is this true or better yet Eric is this true? I always end up missing Eric when I come to the east coast.
I also heard he is coming. He is a great guy & very talented! I had the pleasure of meeting him at one the New York Coin Guy Seminars. I look forward to seeing him again.I hope to meet many of you there. It is a great time time for a lot magicians to get together & learn from one another.
Please note: Menu is subject to change..... But it will be good!In the past they have always had a hot bacon dressing that is great! Check out the website.
Hey! There is also a magic flea markek. Who does not need some magic fleas? Good bargains to be found!
Guys
I just checked with Eric, and he is not performing at Kutztown, he is just attending the convention, because of the great line up. Of course that does not mean that you can't talk to Eric, but don't look for him to do anything on stage.
Heck Al, That's fine for me. I'm sure Eric will be walking around showing off his amazing talents. Thanks for the good news AL.
Eric,
It will be good to see an old friend bro!
Justin N. Miller
This one is coming up and I am looking forward to it.
Daryl will be awsome I am sure.
Check out this close up show...
Daryl, Justin Miller, Kianoa Harbottle, Paul Hallas.....
I missed Justin Miller last time he was in the area so I am looking forward to seeing him. Kianoa and Paul Hallas are great.

See you guys soon.
I saw the line up for this convention and it looks too good to pass up. I'll be able to get pointers from Justin on his latest The Cloak, I'll be able to see Kainoa's Squishy vanish, watch Daryl Easton's whacky antics, and it's always cool to watch Mr. Hallas demonstrate his pet effects. I can't wait to see everyone down in Kutztown!!!!!!
I wish I knew about this sooner. I have gigs and can't go...
[quote]
On 2007-10-27 10:34, squando wrote:
I wish I knew about this sooner. I have gigs and can't go...
[/quote]

Well for next year it is the second saturday in Nov.
Guys
I asked Ryan to pass the word along, but I think this forum is a better place to make my request.

I don't remember who it was, but one of the members of the Reading club told me that he purchased "Slashed" since this trick is covered by a veil of mystery could that fellow bring it to Kutztown to show me just what a $250 rope trick looks like.
Al I PM'd you....see you there
Great Talent, Great Food, Hope to see many of you there!!
Todd asked me to post that the deadline for the all you can eat is the end of this week. The hall needs to have a final count by then.
Do yourself a favor and get the dinner, it's worth it.....

Looking forward to next week, see you then.
Unforunetly I won't be able to attend...that nasty four letter word (work) crept in and ruined the weekend for me.

Have fun all.

George
Is the dead line past to register?
[quote]
On 2007-11-03 23:01, MrBob102 wrote:
Is the dead line past to register?
[/quote]

You can pay for an all day ticket or show only ticket at the door or in advance, but if you want to participate in the all you can eat banquet style dinner you have until Nov. 6th tuesday.
Let me just add that the dinner alone is worth the price of the convention.
I think they still might have some tickets. check with Wayne to see if there is any tickets left. His contact info is :Wayne Shifflett Phone: (610) 432-3612 -Email: MagicWayne@Verizon.net.
Hey! It is this weekend! I hope to see a lot of you there. inidyls, It is always good to see you. Enjoy your time back home.
My name is Rich Gerber, stop by and say hello!
I can't wait,
Justin Miller - has a bunch of new magic out
Kianoa Harbottle - watch his steeple chase with 20+ coins
Paul Hallas - he always has something very clever minded
Jay Mattioli - he's been winning awards everywhere he goes now
Almar- what can I say you never know what to expect and that's a compliment
Martini - I hope he's bringing some pro packs
Eric Jones - I can't wait to meet up with him to see "OXY CLEAN"
Daryl - close up, lecture and show. maybe just maybe he'll say grace like Gregory Wilson did last year for the dinner.
Does anybody know if Martini has any PRO PACKS left???
I hear KAINOA Harbottle is coming as well. I know for a fact that Curtis Kam amuses himself when bored by seeing if the website has corrected the information.

I think Eric Jones, one of my favorite magicians, should be performing in the close up show.

At least his name is easy to spell.
Kainoa
Eric is my favorite too, the moves I saw him make yesterday at MM III were totally original.
Greetings All;
It has been a while since we were able to be at the Kutztown convention, we always have a good time and it is great to be seeing so many old friends again.
We will have lots of new things with us, and to answer Inidyls question about the pro-packs, we are down to 23 decks, and then they are history.
We will have the new rainbow deck with us and a couple new Bruno Canaldi items as well.
And Al, I'm trying to finish up a couple of wands for you.
Looking forward to Saturday, it has been about 15 years since I last saw Daryl, where does the time go?
See all of you on Saturday
All the Best
Marty
Kainoa,, we have you performing to see if we can get your name right, Eriicc is just too easy to say & spell!
See you this weekend!
Rich
I would like to give a special thanks to all involved, There are some people that have been doing this a long time & need to get credit. Especially Bob .. with one "O" (THINK ABOUT IT) Remaly, & Wayne Shifflet. A special thanks to Todd Kent for taking over and bringing such great talent to this event.
Who the heck is Kurtis Cam
Looking forward to this weekend. See you then.
Hey Al are you going? I want to show you something I came up with.
Hope to see a bunch of you Café members
I will be the guy with the grey top hat on. Remember I am sworn to pass along the boomerang rubber band trick by word of mouth to anyone.
Hope to make it down to Kutztown...I heard that it's forecasting snow.

Bosco
No snow today, come on down.
I had a great time with the usual cast of characters, and I saw an old friend R.J. Lewis who is a regular performer at Monday Night Magic, and is a real classy guy. I have the Daryl three DVD rope magic set, and boy was I wrong about him, I thought Daryl was all business, but he really cracked me up.
As usual, a good all around convention. Daryl's lecture contained some old Tarbell stuff with tweaks, a couple of items he was selling and the highlight for me a beautiful combination of ring off rope and ring on stick which for any worker was worth the price of admission. All delivered in a very entertaining way.

It sounded to me like he was losing his voice in the evening show (quite possible after two close up performances and demming all day). Perhaps not the best act to close a convention gala show, finishing with what could be considered a close up card trick, he might have been better opening the show and young Jay closing it. Almar was perfectly placed in the middle with his madness. You never know what to expect from Almar, it's like working with a short sighted knife throwing act. Here, amongst other thinks he got into a straight jacket rather than getting out. The skeleton costume he bought in the auction earlier in the day, as for the French Maid outfit....

Strong close up session from what I saw, though I had a slight hiccup on one table, as did Justin but it all seemed well received. As it was so close to Metro Magic I just did different stuff in case some attendees had been at both (which was the case).

Being behind the stand doesn't really give me time to session as much as I would like with people. I'm just going to have to attend a convention as a simple attendee for once then I'll have the time to session with people like Eric, Steve, Bill, Al, Rich, Cody (and all the others).

I think now, my next convention is Blackpool...
Paul.
I'm so glad I made the trip to the convention yesterday. It was definitely well worth it!

Paul I totally agree that the Daryl's combo of ring off rope and ring on stick was well worth the price of admission. That is no doubt getting added into my set. It was also good to get to meet you, wish we had more time to talk, as well as session. I was hoping to show you a few things to get an opinion, guess we'll have to wait until next time.

There was some really great sessioning going on. I think more of it went on downstairs after dinner than anywhere else. Kainoa has a really great idea for Sun & Moon that he showed me, liked that one alot.

Overall, it was a great one-day convention that I will most certainly attend next year. This coming Sunday, Bob Little's Super Sunday. Man this conventions are killing me lol...should be another great one though. Hope to see some there as well.

-Bill
I saw some old friends & met some new ones. I even learned a thing or two. That is how a convention should be. Paul, I loved your close up show. My wife also loved it...she is a tough spectator.... & the best praise of all that I can bestow on any performer is.....my daudhter (18 Yrs old) loved it....she is a tough sell! Great Day!
WOW guys, what another great convention.
I would like to give special thanks to Kainoa for attending again and putting on another GREAT close up show. He is truely in a class all by himself a true proffesional. I can't thank you enough.
Paul Hallas - not only a magician but a gentleman(only because he's English LOL)every year I get to rattle his brain and see something new every year for the close up show.
Daryl and Justin, I don't even think I have to tell you how great they were. But I would like to say buy Justins TRANS-FIXED it's unbelievable. better yet don't buy it I would like to keep it low key. I hope I can get you and your wife back next year.
Eric Jones - thanks for coming and performing in the close up also. "Oustanding"

Martini-Special thanks to you, with out you it wouldn't have been a success. Marty was kind of enough to be the auctioneer, emcee, and dealer. THANK YOU

Jay Mattioli - Thanks for helping me out, I won't forget

Almar, All I can say is I don't think I will EVER see a full grown man dressed up in a french maid outfit putting on a straight jacket in reverse ever again in my lifetime. And Josh you were a great assistant.

And last special thanks to the guys behind the scenes, Rich, Ryan, Wayne, Bob. oh and NANCY

Thanks, Todd Kent
It was another great convention and I am glad that it was so well attended.
I am also glad that everyone wore their wrist bands, and I did not have to kick anyone out of dinner.

See you next year.
With a hat like that I don't think anybody would try to sneak a free dinner past you.
[quote]
On 2007-11-11 09:50, Paul wrote:

It sounded to me like he was losing his voice in the evening show (quite possible after two close up performances and demming all day). Perhaps not the best act to close a convention gala show, finishing with what could be considered a close up card trick, he might have been better opening the show and young Jay closing it. Almar was perfectly placed in the middle with his madness. You never know what to expect from Almar, it's like working with a short sighted knife throwing act. Here, amongst other thinks he got into a straight jacket rather than getting out. The skeleton costume he bought in the auction earlier in the day, as for the French Maid outfit....

[/quote]

Paul you make a good point and that was my first initial thought. But For the show to move smoothly I put Jay first so we didn't have to clean up Almar's mess and set up Jay's props all in one shot. Like Martini said "you don't want to see too much of the emcee" lol. We actually got good responses about opening the show with a big Bang.
As for Daryl he totally lost his voice the next day after the convention. I think your right Paul, two close up shows, a lecture, flying in from CA. the night before might have something to do with it.

Cheers
This last Kutztown one day convention was as good as they get. The people running this are really on a tear. Professional all the way. Two great professional lectures, a rotating close up show, a giant auction, flea market sales, and a great evening stage magic show. Seems they have decided to go first class. Includes a great all you can eat home cooked style meal. Worth taking the day off for. WOW! WOW! WOW! Congratulations. This is one that will begin to sell out.

Dick Brooks & Dorothy Dietrich
Houdini Museum
Scranton PA
Re:
"I put Jay first so we didn't have to clean up Almar's mess and set up Jay's props all in one shot. Like Martini said "you don't want to see too much of the emcee"

Daryl could probably have worked front curtain if needed, but I see where you're coming from, though the behind the scenes work is of no importance to the audience, and Martini is an excellent M.C. Great gala show anyway. This was in no way a complaint, rather an observation :)

Be interesting to see how you top this next year :)

Paul.
Paul
I don't know how Todd can top this years line up, I have a couple suggestions, but after I requested to have the godfather at MM IV Bob Solari asked me for his phone number.

Todd
There are some world class jugglers in the Philadelphia area if you are interested call me.
Actually Al you are first on my list for Jugglers. You were awesome a few years back. Thanks

Paul , in no way I took that as a complaint. You know me I love honest feedback. This is how we can top last year.
Al said:
"I don't know how Todd can top this years line up"

Hmmmm. You could ask all the same performers back but have them do different stuff.... (joke)

Paul.
Who's going to Mingus Magic shop Friday night? I have a booking in Morgantown, but I will be there by 10:00 pm, so save me some cake. I have a new knock your socks off rope trick that I'm dieing to do for someone, my wife is totally indifferent about it.
Be there or be square
Al
[quote]
I have a new knock your socks off rope trick that I'm dieing to do for someone, my wife is totally indifferent about it.
[/quote]

Lol. Magi's wives are a patient bunch ;). Adding to your Takagi Routine Al?

Bosco
I will probally see you there Al.
For those who don't know....
This Friday night 11/16/07 at the Mingus Magic Shop is Midnight Magc Madness
Shop is open until midnight with shows in the mini theater every hour.
http://www.mingusmagicshop.com for more info.
Bosco
You saw me do "the vishnu rope mystery", but this one is called "professor Ian's nightmare". You can see Ian do it at "knots and loops" under "professors nightmare whoo", I bought it several weeks ago because I must know everything about rope magic. I'm not going to the weekly get together at Bristol Pa. because I will be in Morgantown, and Todd was nice enough to invite me to Reading.
I would like to see Bill Malone next year. His first 3 dvds are rated in the best of all time list. With the recent release of his new dvds he is of even more interest.He
is skilled ,funny and accomplished.Glenn