(Close Window)
Topic: Mirror Penetration
I am interested in the mirror penetration - not the one with the f*** h***, but the one with two holes for your arms in the center and you go from behind - grab the cloth through the holes, raise it up - walk through within a second.

Who builds this, what is it real name for it, who has the rights for it etc, etc...any info would be great.

Thanks for your help.
It's called mirror passage.
Invented by Luis de Matos and Wellington makes and sells these, see:
http://www.wellingtonent.com/products/mirrpass.html

I hope this helps.
It was invented by Luis de Matos, the actual name for it is the Mirror Passage.

Wellington builds a nice looking one that sells for $6250 w/ ATA.

http://www.wellingtonent.com/products/mirrpass.html

Sam
Is this actually patented? Cause I believe I figured this one out and ironically enough I just started working at a glass/mirror shop so I think I have access to all the tools to build it, and would love to perform it live. Also the shop I work at throws away a lot of decent size pieces of mirror they call scrap so I any one needs any glass or mirror let me know and I will see what I can do for ya.
Peace all!
[quote]
On 2007-10-06 09:04, juggling1 wrote:
Is this actually patented? cause I believe I figured this one out and ironically enough I just started working at a glass/mirror shop so I think I have access to all the tools to build it, and would love to perform it live. also the shop I work at throws away a lot of decent size pieces of mirror they call scrap so I any one needs any glass or mirror let me know and I will see what I ca do for ya.
peace all!
[/quote]

I doubt very much that this holds a patent. VERY few things in magic do. That doesn't give you the right to copy it. Ethical performers respect the designers rights to his/her creation and purchase it if they really want to perform it. I'd suggest that you don't build this.

Best,

Tim
Yes, Tim is right, do the correct thing and don't copy this!

Another alternative is that you could build yourself a walk-around style penetration, as I'm sure it is public domain.

Sam
[quote]
On 2007-10-06 09:35, Sam Pearce wrote:
Yes, Tim is right, do the correct thing and don't copy this!

Another alternative is that you could build yourself a walk-around style penetration, as I'm sure it is public domain.

Sam
[/quote]

Hello Sam,

The walk-around style actually belongs to Andrew Mayne. Its a bargain as the simple purchase of his book allows you to build and perform it.

Best,

Tim
Tim, I did not know this, thanks for the info!

Sam
I personally think the Mayne's version is the most practical, lightweight, compact, and you start clean and end clean, unlike the Luis the matos one. Also, when was the last time you have seen a mirror with holes cut through? I don't think it makes sense. You need three assistants to perform the Mirror passage and for the price I will go with Mayne's.

just my thoughts,
Reynold
I've looked at these and I have to totally agree with Reynold. I've done the Mayne Style with a chain link fence and it used to get a really big response. The Mayne style is cleaner.
[quote]
On 2007-10-06 10:16, reynold wrote:
I personally think the Mayne's version is the most practical, lightweight, compact, and you start clean and end clean, unlike the Luis the matos one. Also, when was the last time you have seen a mirror with holes cut through? I don't think it makes sense. You need three assistants to perform the Mirror passage and for the price I will go with Mayne's.

just my thoughts,
Reynold
[/quote]

Reynold My Friend,

It seems we are back to this effect verses practicality thing again. LOL I like the Mirror Passage effect much more ( a personal opinion ) as the instant passage through the mirror really freaked me when I first saw it. BUT.... considering the price of the Mirror Passage and the size of it I'd also have to vote for Mayne's for most performers. It takes up MUCH less room, is much lighter and is a strong effect. The fact that its a one person illusion has a lot of bearing as well.

Best,

Tim
I've owned and performed the Luis De Matos version. Very big, heavy, and fragile prop (Real Mirror here--not plexi). Wellington did a great job as always, on the construction...but sometimes it was like walking on eggshells during the assembly: tighten a screw too much and crack!...that chunk of mirror is busted.

With regard to the Mayne penetration--
I've played with it in various forms over the years...it seems that it depends on what you're "penetrating", as to how much response the audience gives.

Keith Jozsef
Well you can't talk about mirror penetration without mentioning Peter Loughran's Devil's Reflection. It seems to be a good blend of effect and practicality.
Well, Mike I have never seen Devils reflection. But I am sure is a great effect.

But of all walking thru mirrors the best in practicability is Mayne's. For audience response and most convincing is Steinmeyer's. Luis the matos version, evaluating it from impact point of view (not for practicability) I think that having lines and holes in the mirror is as incoherent as wrapping a girl during a chair suspension or gamolo levitation.

Thanks,
Reynold
What is the name of Mayne's mirror illusion and what book is in?

Thanks,

Las
It's called RazorWire. You walk through barbed wire that is going across a frame.
Actually, the effect is called A-frame, from Andrew's book Solo-X. Razorwire was a subsequent variation to the original.

Keith Jozsef
[quote]
On 2007-10-06 16:56, reynold wrote:
Well, Mike I have never seen Devils reflection. But I am sure is a great effect.

[/quote]

You can see it here:

http://www.masterofillusions.ca/master_of_illusions_devils_refle.htm
I own a devils reflection, I like it a lot.
Guys, I found this version on luis the matos mirror penetration and it looks very good and it solves the problem of starting and ending clean via a a base.
check it out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cEgs2XoCvI&mode=related&search=Sam%20Powers%20magic%20illusion

Reynold
Thanks for the PROPS Mike!

Ben's DR is the coolest looking one we built yet, if I was to ever refinish my own personal one, Im going with the cool laser blue finsh we did custom for Ben, it looks Hot!

P.
I like more the version on luis the matos.

Paulo
What version does Copperfield use in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dj8K-_ewSUE
Copperfield uses Jim Steinmeyers version of this effect (first used by Doug Henning )
Does anyone have the demo clip of Michael Christian's version?--Reflecting Thru was the name. He's a former assistant to Andre Kole, and apparently builds and sells his own version for around $1800.

Keith Jozsef
Any clips of the Luis De Matos version.
Estone: Luis de matos performed it on one of the world's greatest magic special.

Reynold
Luis de Matos has a clip on his web in the showroom section under tv. It's called Mirror Passage.

Oliver.
Here the used illusion: MIRROR PASSAGE

http://www.magicauction.com/Mag_auc/illusion.htm

Paulo
Message: Posted by: Christian Illusionist (Oct 14, 2007 04:09PM)
[quote]
On 2007-10-07 16:55, estone wrote:
What version does Copperfield use in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dj8K-_ewSUE
[/quote]

This is probably my favorite version of the effect.

Kirby Van Burch features it in his show as well.
Message: Posted by: Christian Illusionist (Oct 14, 2007 04:14PM)
[quote]
On 2007-10-07 19:44, Keith Jozsef wrote:
Does anyone have the demo clip of Michael Christian's version?--Reflecting Thru was the name. He's a former assistant to Andre Kole, and apparently builds and sells his own version for around $1800.

Keith Jozsef
[/quote]

I'd also be interested if someone would have a clip of this version.

Thank you
I've never seen a clip. But you can see the pictures on his web : http://michaelchristian.org
It's in the resources section.
Try and e-mail Michael Christian to see if you can get a video of the illusion.

Oliver.
He's actually mailing me a DVD as we speak...
I'll report on it later.

Keith Jozsef
When I moved from large illusions to mentalism, I kept 3 of my illusions around in storage while the others were sold. One of the 3 is a mirror penetration almost just like Copperfields version. Only difference is it does not use the raised platform and stairs. Other than that, its exact. You actually climb through the mirror and frame.

I chose this one because it really needed no assistants, and is very simple to perform. I kept it around for those reasons. It was one of the first illusions I ever built 20 years ago at age 15, which is probably another reason I kept it around.