(Close Window)
Topic: Did I just see a warehouse owned by Copperfield raided?
Did I see that right? What is going on anyone know?
I'm sure DC is just thrilled about this. No restricted areas for the Feds.

And, as predicted, any mentions at the official DC board had their own vanishing act.
More at http://www.itricks.com ,

TMZ.com reports that the FBI is investigating David Copperfield and searched his Las Vegas warehouse Wednesday night. Agents seized “a computer hard drive, a digital camera system and nearly $2 million in cash.” Copperfield’s lawyer said the following to TMZ…

“We understand there is an investigation, we are in touch with the investigators, and are respecting the confidentiality of the investigation.”

According to TMZ, the seizures allegedly stem from an investigation in Seattle. Copperfield is scheduled to begin a tour of the Pacific on the 23rd of this month in Jakarta, Indonesia.

More on this as it becomes available.
Another article..... I wonder what they were looking for?

Feds Target Copperfield's House of Tricks
Natalie Finn, eonline
12 hours ago
David Copperfield may not have been able to believe his eyes, but that really was the FBI combing through his Las Vegas warehouse.
A dozen agents from Seattle carted away a computer hard drive, a memory chip from a digital camera and close to $2 million in cash during a late-night raid Wednesday on the famed magician's Sin City storage space, KLAS-TV reports.
An FBI spokesperson said that out-of-state agents get involved when tips originate in their area, meaning the warehouse was in some way connected to an investigation that originated in Washington???although what the investigation concerns is now anyone's guess.
After the raid, Copperfield's attorney issued a statement confirming that the search took place.
"We understand there is an investigation, [we] are in touch with the investigators, and are respecting the confidentiality of the investigation," lawyer David Chesnoff said.
The FBI's Las Vegas office also told KLAS that agents had made a stop at one of Copperfield's frequent performance spots, the MGM-Grand on the Vegas Strip, where the illusionist is scheduled to appear for a two-week engagement at the Hollywood Theater starting Nov. 15.
Once again, the government agency wouldn't go into detail about what authorities were looking for at the hotel, or how it factored into the investigation, but it would confirm that the MGM itself was not the target.
Meanwhile, still remaining in Copperfield's two-story treasure trove is a heady, 80,000-piece??mix of collectibles and perception-deceiving devices.
The 51-year-old entertainer, who, according to Forbes, banked $57 million in 2005, keeps, among other things, a stash of vintage sports cars, gadgets, quirky stuff like gargoyle heads and an old electric chair, 15,000 magic books, Houdini memorabilia, posters, playbills, centuries-old documents, and various trick apparatuses in the warehouse he has dubbed the International Museum & Library of the Conjuring Arts.
Access to the collection is usually only granted to scholars looking to research and write about the illusionary world, but no disappearances, transferences, levitations, cutting-in-halves or other unexplainable phenomena were reported to have taken place during the raid.
According to Copperfield's Website, he performs more than 500 shows a year all over the world (not all at once???nobody's that good). Before heading back to the MGM-Grand, he'll be bringing his Intimate Evening of Grand Illusion to Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore and Thailand. Then, after Vegas, it's off to the United Arab Emirates
Fox News reports this is a case of possible sexual misconduct.
Man I am sorry I posted this. I thought I misread, or it was a publicity thing.

Hey lets speculate as much as we can so we can ruin the guy!

Sorry for starting this. There are lots of other thread filled with inuendo.
http://www.postchronicle.com/news/original/article_212110076.shtml

Taken from the above link:
Rape Probe - Illusionist David Copperfield is currently being investigated by police, and now we know why - a woman claims to have been raped by David Copperfield in the Bahamas.
OK...OK...

Let's put a positive slant on this:

1) While $2,000,000 in cash is pocket change for David - it still must hurt. I think he was reported several years ago to be making $26 million per year. That is only $13 million post tax dollars)

2) Taking his computer and camera flash card(s) is part of normal investigations.

My main concern is that they can't seem to find David.

I wonder if he is safe on his private island in the carribean if it is a part of a country ???? (He owns it ?)

Regardless, I do wish him my best....I have known him since I was a kid since I grew up in New York and he was a Jersey-ite. I would be VERY surprised if it was rape....remember the LaCross Players who were falsely accused of rape !

Maybe the $2 million dollars was a blackmail shakedown.

Time will tell !
Can't find him? He performed two shows in Vegas after this story broke and is headed for a gig in Jakarta.
Fox News just reported that it is a rape claim against him which happened in the Bahama's.

According to David's attorney he knew nothing of the rape allegation and stated if that is the case it is completely false.
I will put my money on david.
[quote]
On 2007-10-19 10:55, Dannydoyle wrote:
Man I am sorry I posted this. I thought I misread, or it was a publicity thing.

Hey lets speculate as much as we can so we can ruin the guy!

Sorry for starting this. There are lots of other thread filled with inuendo.
[/quote]

Danny, if you didn't I would have. And yes, speculation in this is bad. Let's hope it's a false charge situation and he's cleared.
Ok lets just say this. Why would anyone take money into custody for a rape case?

And the very idea that it takes 13 mil pre tax dollars is just nuts. But ok.
David is no Kobe.

I agree with Jay.
Since when does the FBI investigate crimes commited in other countries?
The ALLEDGED crime was ALLEDGEDLY comittied in the Bahamas but it is a US citizen charging another US citizen which is why the Fed's got involved. The camera and computer was taken to see if there is evidence of the 2 together in any files. I cannot even guess, however, why they would seize cash unless there is some obscure law that allows Fed's to seize extremely large amounts until it is accounted for behind the scope of the investigation.

If I had 2 million I would bet it on Copperfield being the victim in this case.

M&S
So crimes committed on foreign soil can be tried in United States' courts?
First off, the pluralization of Feds does not contain an apostrophe.

A commentator on Fox News yesterday was scratching his head over why the Feds are involved and he said it might make sense if there was an arrangement in the U.S. to settle with the accuser (i.e. "hush money"), which could prompt obstruction of justice charges. That would also explain why $2M was seized, but fresher news reports say the Feds are denying the money was taken as evidence.
Ok how is it "hush money" if it was never paid.

GOD this is pointless and really out of hand now!
Rumor has it that they were his entire stock of flash bills. A fire hazard.
This totally blows! I was suppose to see DC in Kuala Lumpur this weekend!

DC: Make those charges disappear! I wanna see you live!
It looks like he has cancelled his Asia dates ...

http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/TV/10/22/people.copperfield.ap/index.html

... which is bad news for ticket holders.

However, TMZ is reporting that the FBI is saying "No currency was seized during our investigating activity in Las Vegas" ... so the whole bit about $2 Million being taken is apparently wrong.
[quote]
On 2007-10-22 11:33, MagiCat wrote:
However, TMZ is reporting that the FBI is saying "No currency was seized during our investigating activity in Las Vegas" ... so the whole bit about $2 Million being taken is apparently wrong.
[/quote]

I actually mentioned that early this morning on this board but the topic was unfortunately removed a couple hours later. It must have turned sour or something.

TMZ.com has revealed a couple other interesting tidbits, and their discoveries support my theory, although they haven't put it all together yet.

I've reprinted my original post along with the related info from TMZ here for anyone who's interested: http://magicspank.blogspot.com

The TMZ info is at the bottom.

Best regards :)
[quote]
On 2007-10-22 19:35, Magic Spank wrote:

I actually mentioned that early this morning on this board but the topic was unfortunately removed a couple hours later. It must have turned sour or something.

[/quote]

Dearest Spank,

The threads have been vanishing because they've simply gotten utterly ridiculous with the wacked out theories. Your's falls into that "wacked out" category. Not one thing posted in the report you quote is new. Even the money was disputed in the begining. Some news agencies claimed there was money and some only reported the camera and hard drive being taken.

A challenge is issued!!! LOL If you are right I will post here in the Café that I was not nearly as clever as you are and that you rule! If the investigation proves to be for real then you must post here that you fell victim to idle gossip and juvenile speculation and admit you contributed to the nonsense that got threads deleted or locked? ( "and that goes for your little blog to!" ... wicked witch laugh goes here) You have to post there that you were wrong.

Deal????

Best,

Tim
Relax Tim,

Time will tell if I am right or not.

I'm not sure why you're so bothered, my theory is based in sound logic.

Maybe you need to investigate the use of VNR's and the trouble we're having with them here in the US.

I'm sorry if you feel threatened somehow by my post, I am not attempting to be more clever than you. In fact I am unfamiliar with your theories or opinions on this topic.

[quote]
On 2007-10-22 20:20, Magic Spank wrote:
Relax Tim,

Time will tell if I am right or not.

I'm not sure why you're so bothered, my theory is based in sound logic.

Maybe you need to investigate the use of VNR's and the trouble we're having with them here in the US.

I'm sorry if you feel threatened somehow by my post, I am not attempting to be more clever than you. In fact I am unfamiliar with your theories or opinions on this topic.

[/quote]

Magic Spank,

Its all in good fun. I don't feel threatened by your theory. I know you are not trying to be more clever than anyone. Please don't take my challenge as personal as its meant as a "good spirited" challenge.

Regards my views.... from the beginning I ( along with many others ) simply asked that only facts be reported and we don't get into theories regards innocence or guilt as we really know very little of the facts. (of course I didn't see far enough ahead to think there would be conspiracy theories..LOL so you got me there)

Now back to my challenge.LOL Do you feel confident in your "sound logic" to take up the challenge? I feel strong enough that its a REAL investigation to hold up my end if I am wrong.

For the record... I would love to be wrong and have it turn out to be a hoax but I doubt that is the case.

Best,

Tim
I'm not sure what purpose the challenge serves.

If I turn out to be wrong, then it was an incorrect guess and I will leave my posts up if anyone wants to ridicule me. If you feel the need to draw attention to my mistake later on you're free to do so.

I am somewhat confident though that I'm on the right track. Again, we have a big problem in this country with VNR's or video news releases. My opinion that the news media is manipulated by corporations and individuals to promote their own interests is supported by facts, it's really not so outrageous at all to assume anything in the news may be a promotional stunt. The FCC is currently investigating numerous instances such as I describe on my blog.

As you said, if it turns out to be a stunt, that is a positive thing for those who were concerned that David may have been involved in something bad.

Unfortunately, the news in America is 99% lies. It's all been harnessed for publicity purposes and the only thing that gets you headlines here is scandals, specifically of a sexual nature.

Our own president is currently on the hotseat for this, check it out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vnr

Hi Spank,

You'll not likely find any one more untrusting of the media than me. I was one of the first to begin posting in the various threads that we should just sit back and not believe anything we read or see on television.

I do however have a hard time that 50 million a year isn't enough for David and that he would willing to be labeled a rapist to bump that up a bit. I also have trouble believing that the FBI would have the time to mess around with such a publicity stunt.

I guess my main problem here is that you criticize the media (and rightly so) for not getting it right but then you post on your blog and here in the Café with a story that you don't feel strong enough to back up with a light hearted bet. If you will post it without being sure its true aren't you as guilty as the media?

Best,

Tim
So now here is my favorite part.

We have someone mention how the invisible money was "hush money". Well now there was NO MONEY, and yet they don't come back and say "oops sorry I guess I was speculating about crap I have no idea my bad".

Nope not a word. Just let the accusation be out there and that is good enough for them.

I think that the speculators should be embarassed.
I can't imagine anyone ever coming up with a rape allegation for a publicity stunt!

It is kind of funny how all these theories pop up. Almost as bad as posting for help about a trick here and having 15 return posts discussing the trick and never answering the question! haha.
[quote]
On 2007-10-23 10:18, Banester wrote:
I can't imagine anyone ever coming up with a rape allegation for a publicity stunt![/quote]

Hard to imagine that the FBI would take part in a publicity stunt like this too. Of course if it's a stunt and the FBI isn't in on it, then we would likely see some serious charges involving the filing of false reports.
No charges have been filed. For all we know they may have raided his warehouse because some unrelated investigation lead to it. As far as I'm concerned he's innocent and when this is all over we should investigate the judge who signed the search warrant.

David (not DC)
No, we should let the investigation play itself out and stop needless speculation. The judge did his job so stop throwing arround unfounded accusations at officials.

I think that we need to let both sides do their job, and then see where the dust settles.

You can't just say crazy things like that. YOU have no idea what the facts are on either side. Nobody here does, so let it drop.
[quote]
On 2007-10-22 21:25, Dannydoyle wrote:
So now here is my favorite part.

We have someone mention how the invisible money was "hush money". Well now there was NO MONEY, and yet they don't come back and say "oops sorry I guess I was speculating about crap I have no idea my bad".

Nope not a word. Just let the accusation be out there and that is good enough for them.

I think that the speculators should be embarassed.
[/quote]

Danny,

I always hold your opinions in high regard, and truly feel blessed for having the Café' to turn to read advice from seasoned veterans such as yourself. However, I feel it must be mentioned that noone on here said that it was hush money. What the poster did say is that a news commentator was trying to noodle through why money would be siezed, and that this was a possible reason. See below:

[quote]
On 2007-10-21 17:14, OHCollector wrote:
First off, the pluralization of Feds does not contain an apostrophe.

A commentator on Fox News yesterday was scratching his head over why the Feds are involved and he said it might make sense if there was an arrangement in the U.S. to settle with the accuser (i.e. "hush money"), which could prompt obstruction of justice charges. That would also explain why $2M was seized, but fresher news reports say the Feds are denying the money was taken as evidence.
[/quote]

It sounds like the newsman was trying to fathom an explanation, and that our Café' member wasn't making a hush money accusation.

By the way, anyone who thinks it's a publicity stunt must be out of their mind. How much publicity does he get for having to cancel shows? How eager is the FBI to be involved?

Again, Danny - I mean you no disrepect. I've read and re-read many of your posts over the last couple of years, and I'm better for it.

-Mike

P.S. Sorry if I've made spelling errors. It turns out that a broken finger not only sucks for a sleight of hand guy - it's also not so great for typing.
O it's now starting to get weird. TMZ just reported

[quote]

Sources now tell TMZ Copperfield designed part of his show around "a system for icking up women." During his show, David goes into the audience and chooses women to come on stage. We're told that if David likes a girl, he'll use code words with assistants like "mama" and "secrecy." The assistants mark the women on a map of the inside of the Hollywood Theater at MGM Grand. After the show, the women are brought backstage -- and that's where the profiling begins.

The women are told that David may use them in his show when he comes to their hometown. They are then photographed with a digital camera, asked questions like, "What is your favorite men's cologne?" and "Where do you like to vacation?" We're told one of those vacation spots mentioned by staff is the Bahamas, where the accuser claims she was assaulted. Copperfield owns a cluster of islands in the Bahamas -- which he bought for $50 million.

[/quote]

I don't believe this for a second. Don't they know most of his "audience volunteers" are on his payroll already?
[quote]
On 2007-10-23 16:43, Payne wrote:
O it's now starting to get weird. TMZ just reported

[quote]

Sources now tell TMZ Copperfield designed part of his show around "a system for icking up women." During his show, David goes into the audience and chooses women to come on stage. We're told that if David likes a girl, he'll use code words with assistants like "mama" and "secrecy." The assistants mark the women on a map of the inside of the Hollywood Theater at MGM Grand. After the show, the women are brought backstage -- and that's where the profiling begins.

The women are told that David may use them in his show when he comes to their hometown. They are then photographed with a digital camera, asked questions like, "What is your favorite men's cologne?" and "Where do you like to vacation?" We're told one of those vacation spots mentioned by staff is the Bahamas, where the accuser claims she was assaulted. Copperfield owns a cluster of islands in the Bahamas -- which he bought for $50 million.

[/quote]

I don't believe this for a second. Don't they know most of his "audience volunteers" are on his payroll already?
[/quote]

Tough to say - My ex-girlfriend and I were randomly picked out of the audience to come onstage and help. The only gaff was that we had to say we were married. (The assistant was going around trying to find a married couple, and the couple next to us was married and willing, but the lady was pregnant. Apparently, the insurance company doesn't think too much of having pregnant women go up and down dark stage stairs, so she let us do it as long as we said we were married.) We weren't sure what the big deal was about being married, but I suspect it had something to do with a joke DC was playing - while my ex was standing above the big metal slab (bent over, back to the audience), hammering it to make sure it's solid, his assistant told me to "go slap her on her ass." I verified that this was in fact what she said, and then I did it. Then DC chimes in - "Whoa! It's Copperfield, not cop a feel!" Got a good laugh from everyone but my girlfriend. She was too flustered to hear the joke, and I had some explaining to do, since she thought I was perving out on her.

But, yeah, we were randomly picked.

-Mike
I just wish we all agreed on not speculating, and repeating rumors.
Regarding the story about taking women picked to help onstage backstage and collecting all their info and pursuing them. I personally knew a girl years ago who was in that situation. He did use her again but apparently pursued her romantically as well. I was surprised also to learn that not everyone is a stooge.

This comment is showing up all over the web on various stories about the incident, some of you are sure to find it interesting.

"Posted By: Squab24 |October 19 2007 at 05:28 PM

I'm glad to see this. I went to one of his shows with my wife, and after selecting her out of the audience for a trick on the show, he invited her backstage afterwards. There he got her phone, email, and other info on the premise that he might do a show in our city and might use her in the show again. When they came out from backstage, my family posed for photos with him. After returning home, he commenced to email my wife, inviting her to visit him at his Bahamas Island, followed by phone calls. What an a**! I was suspicious of why he selected her from the audience, and especially when he talked her into giving him contact information. It's clear he makes a habit of this and doesn't care whether his targets are married or not. I hope they nail his a** to the wall."
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/sfgate/detail?blogid=7&entry_id=21301

The same exact thing happened to the wife of a well known escape artist. David seems to be known for having a penchant for married women.

This one is more than speculation unfortunately. Personally, I find it more distressing than the rape accusation.

Hide your women.