(Close Window)
Topic: Ventriloquism and Stage Illusions
Hi everyone,

I know a lot of magicians in my country and perhaps all over the world who mix magic and ventriloquism...

Im thinking of offering an act with just FULL ADULT VENTRILOQUISM AND ILLUSIONS.

Perhaps open the act with the voice in the cup routine, then followed by the 1st figure...then the 1st Illusion...followed by the Cable Vent Masks...then the 2nd Illusion....followed by the 2nd figure...then end it with the 3rd Illusion.

I did a similar act last night but with only 1 Illsuion to end the act and it was a killer routine, imagine if I add two more Illusions after each figure.

ANY SUGGESTIONS PLEASE?

http://www.geocities.com/thepartyzoo/boxceleb.JPG

http://www.geocities.com/thepartyzoo/domceleb2.JPG

http://www.geocities.com/thepartyzoo/nicoceleb3.JPG

http://www.geocities.com/thepartyzoo/modernartceleb.JPG

Extra Photos :)

http://www.geocities.com/thepartyzoo/domceleb.JPG

http://www.geocities.com/thepartyzoo/nicoceleb5.JPG

Wanlu
[quote]
On 2007-10-23 12:49, Wanlu wrote:

I know a lot of magicians in my country and perhaps all over the world who mix magic and ventriloquism...

[/quote]

What I mean about this is...In my country (Philippines) a lot of magicians do a mix of parlour magic and ventriloquism...the usual doves, rabbits, cards, etc etc etc...and they mix it with a simple vent routine just to lenghten the act :)

I was hoping I can do an act that's basically unusual because it will be an FULL ADULT VENT ACT MIXED WITH STAGE ILLUSIONS :) what do you think?

I will try it soon and I hope it works :)
I don't know if you want an illusion where one of your vent figures "comes to life" but Jim Gerrish's "Puppet Theater Illusion" in Book 3 of his PVC Pipe Illusions (on my site) is one way to make it happen. You'd have to get an assistant who could dress up in the same kind of outfit as, for example, the old man figure you display in some of your photos. Jim's Illusion is designed for a different kind of puppet, but all you want is the ability to transform the old man vent figuire into the real live old man character.
Hi Spellbinder...that's really interesting and Ill check it out.

Thanks

Wanlu
I was also planning to use the chair suspension on one of my figures...does it make sense? :)
[quote]
On 2007-10-24 03:10, Wanlu wrote:
I was also planning to use the chair suspension on one of my figures...does it make sense? :)
[/quote]

Seems like a waste. If you could take a child from the audience and pound a wooden or metal rod into his body and then screw him onto a hidden support, wouldn't that make a better suspension? Well, with a vent figure, you can do just that, so why waste a principle made for delicate humans on a dummy?
Wanlu,
Why not try a Spirit Seance? Hold the cloth in front of the character and have his head disappear - then emerge floating behind the cloth. This way the figure stays "alive" in front of the audience. Could add some great comedy when he sees his body sitting to one side.

I know you want to add illusions, but I think you'll find this creates the same effect - a floating - with more humor and its easier to carry!
Tom
Wanlu, a chair suspension might not have the impact using a relatively lightweight puppet. But then again, you can always experiment.

If you don't have it, get your hands on a copy of "Ventrilo-Magic" by Bill Boley. Bill had some great ideas for illusions that could be done with vent figures, including a suspension effect. You should be able to get this book from Maher Studios or Axtell Expressions.

See ya!
Joe L.
Look into mentalism. You can have some funny conversations about the figure reading your mind, but you are unable to read the figure's mind, or the other way around. You finally have a prediction in a chest in plain view.

Another thing might be to put a blindfold on your figure and do a one-ahead answer to sealed questions. That could be really funny if done right.

If you can do a self levitation, have your figure claim to do a self levitation, but instead of the figure levitating. you levitate.
Thanks everyone...very good points :)

I booked my first Ventroloquism and Illusion gig already :) I hope it works!!!

I will keep you all posted. :)

Wanlu
Wanlu,
The late Bill Boley sold plans for a dummy suspension. Since the dummy is very light it doesn't require much. His used steel pipe to create a super-x style suspension. I bought one on ebay several years ago but never used it. I'm moving more towards vent rather than magic.

Oliver
Hi Oliver,

Actually, Im trying to do the same thing. Im trying to concentrate on a full vent act but will still do my illusions...just the illusions and hopefully no more birds and rabbits in the meantime :)

Why? just to be different :)

Thanks
I came up with a new word Id like to use for my act...Ventrilusionist :)

A mix of Ventriloquism and two or three stage Illusions :)
I think the dummy suspension can be a great illusion if presented well. I never used it because I was already moving more props for a show than I should have been. I've eliminated my bird and rabbit (found them good homes that means). Since the dummy is light there are many ways to construct a suitable suspension. Boley's was cheap and easy, but heavier than needed for holding up a dummy.
Hi everyone,

I tried my new act and it worked out real well :) Something new to offer in my area actually :)

I call it...

VENTRILUSIONIST- Visual and Voice Illusions

Featuring the Voice in the Box followed by Don Dom (Payes) then the Broomstick Illusion...followed by the Dual Instant Puppets (Masks) followed by the Modern Art Illusion...then the Remote Drawing Board (Axtell) followed by Nicolo (Poyner) and finally the Compresher Illusion :)

For a kidshow...I took out the Payes and added my Axtell pals (Cry Baby, Orangutan and Cockatoo) plus my MAT duck and the Tipper Monkey and settled with just two stage Illusions :)

Im planning to alternate the Masks with a Big Baby from Axtell as soon as I get one :)
Wanlu,
That sounds like quite a show!.
Oliver
Hi Oliver,

I wanted to offer somthing different and I came up with this :) I booked it twice already...and two more lined up :)

Its much easier to do than the standard magic show :)

Im actually enjoying it and Im selling it as my Signature Act here in Manila for nobody has done a similar act yet :)

Thanks
I performed this act three times last weekend and it went quite well :)

Much easier to handle but I guess not as much variety compared to the regular magic show that I used to do :)

Im hoping I can market this act :)
After having a drainage system put in my back yard, my thoughts turned to getting extra PVC piping to do the Boley Suspension. Like others more to carry (props) has kept me from adding it over the years. The PVC piping would be lighter as well as more compact for carrying.

Tip over box for production....

Water suspension....(if you wanted to go all out and had your figure in a "wet suit".

I use balls from my and my puppets mouth ..(Vito Lupo meets Ventriloquist)

Harris
Harris,
PVC should be fine for the dummy suspension. Sounds good.

Maybe someone can help me with an idea for an illusion. I'm looking for a way tom make Dodger (the hard figure in my Avatar) appear during my act. I'm considering building a tip over trunk but would like to hear any other suggestions. I don't like to carry extra gear so the illusion should double as his case.

Any suggestions?

Oliver
The tip-over trunk sounds like a good idea, but you might want to make it stand up on one end rather than lie on the bottom (opening up like a costume trunk). The Dodger could be strapped to the tipping shelf so he would appear in an upright position and come out ready to debate, complain about his travel arrangements, etc.

Another idea would be to make a pair of nesting box tubes (As in Jim Gerrish's "Production Tubes" in his Hardboard and Duct Tape Book 2, Book 1, item 8, on my site). The boxes could be strapped to the base for travel. The idea would be to show the boxes empty, then find a miniature Dodger inside one of them (a tiny action figure doll dressed the same). He demands (in a squeaky high pitched voice) that you restore him to his usual size, and you do, whereupon he demands to be made as big as you, etc.
Spellbinder,

Thanks for the great suggestions. I like the tube idea. You really got me thinking.

Oliver