(Close Window)
Topic: Stop fraying!
Okay, I am using cotton rope from my magic shop. I was wondering what methods do you use to keep the rope from fraying? I was thinking of dipping the ends in some kind of glue or hot wax, but what do you think?
I dip the ends of my ropes in white craft glue (available, not surprisingly, at most craft shops).
Dipping them in about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch is enough.
Squeeze the ends to make sure the glue permeates the rope and them let dry until hard.
Trim off the rough bits at the very ends of the ropes and you've got a "fray-free" end that will last indefinitely.
Thank you Peter. I will use this method now. I appreciate you taking time to help me. Your always full of helpful ideas. :)
Brian
A tiny drop of tacky glue is excellent. It does not take much, just a smidge. The good thing about this product is it stays fairly soft unlike elmers.
quack
For my rehearsal ropes I just use tape as I never perform with them. However I agree with Peter about getting your performance ropes fray free(!)
The glue tip sounds great, I'll definitely give it a try!

I'm currently working on a rope routine from Romaric and he recommends taping the ends to give a surreal look to the cut. I've tried it once and I got an interesting response ('wow not only did the rope got cut but it's got the tape at the ends and everything').

Anyone else that has experienced performing with tapped ends could share thoughts?

Cheers :)