(Close Window)
Topic: Professors Nightmare...whoa
Well, I hadn't seen this and I'd love to learn the routine. Has anybody seen this one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q04Hk9cYfbs
Woah....got me????
That darn Criss Angel and his blue screen camera tricks!!! (grin)

That was a definite "gotcha".
Message: Posted by: THEGUY26 (Will Swanson) (Oct 31, 2007 05:19AM)
Ah, I had to think about that for a bit. Very good idea, a reverse Professor's Nightmare.
Impractical unless used as an opener. Not for a lay audience. Howard
Good one.
Would it be rude to ask for a pm explaining this? I have the original effect and fiber optics as well. I've been thinking about it and I'm not getting it. What do you mean reverse professors nightmare?
Tony
I think it would be rude to ask such a question, but since we are buds I will explain to you just what I know about this trick right here and now. I haven't the foggiest idea how he did it, but whatever he did he did it very well. HA HA HA

The only thing I noticed is that the ropes seemed to grow.
I love this! It's RARE when someone does something that really fools me. This did! I've got no idea! I'd love to learn this method. Would be great to fool magicians with.

FINALLY figured it out! It only took me watching 15 times.. = ) What a great trick!
Didn't Tomothy Wenk have a reverse prof. nightmare routine?
There's a reverse professor's nightmare routine that works like a sucker trick. You start with the ropes all the same size, then show them to be different sized, but explain it's only an illusion and explain how it works. Then you actually make them different sizes for the finale.

This is something way different than that routine. I'm stumped. :)
My guess is...

B***K A*T.

Randi
Fooled again! (But I'm good at my part!)

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Hey Bob, You shoulda watched my lecture when you were in Tampa. That's how I open my lecture. Been doing that effect since the mid-sventies and it's my hook for the rest of the lecture.
If anyone has a club, I have my 30th anniversary lecture tour booking now thru 2008. 30 years of "Gotcha effects".
-Magic Ian
aka
Ian Sutz
stage name Ian Garrison
goto: http://www.Magicians.tv to see more segments from the show and lecture.
----Ian
My initial thought was Pavel's "Super Walking Knot"--in reverse.
Turk
I have Pavel's junior walking knot, and the thought never crossed my mind.
GREAT THINKING.
Eehhhhhh!! (loud buzzing sound).
Al,
This is non-derivitive magic. But good guesses guys.
-----Magic Ian
I don't copy, and I don't steal and I rarely do someone else's effects. I do borrow when I teach and I give credit where its due. If this was from Pavel or anyone else, I would credit it in the description. Some things are just mine and this is one. If you see it again, you can say "It's magic-Ian's".
-----Ian
Ian
We were not suggesting you bought, or copied the idea from anyone. What the Turk suggested is that you may have used a similar method that Pavel has used in the past. I do not think anyone owns the method.

May I also say that your performance was the best rope trick I've seen in years. Congratulations you sure fooled me.
Al Angello
I'm sorry, that wasn't a defense of your comment. I know that's not what you meant. It'd just be nice once in a while to do something where I could stand alone. I had introduced several methods and moves in the 70's and if I crossed the lines of similarity, I just wouldn't do the effect. Of course the fact that I call it the Professors nightmare is the gauntlet.
Lately, I have had some effects that are being done and have had to show that my coin move or a rope technique predated the modern move.
I showed this rope routine at Tannens camp, and at the Jubilee in the 80's (on five occasions).
If you saw the method, you would concede that it wasn't any method from the other guys.
Once again, my Hubris was behind the comment. I love Pavel, and Wilmarth, and Sands. They are my rope idols. I get an absolute thrill that a thread has started on this effect. A couple of buddies e-mailed me and I've been eating it up.
------Magic Ian

By the way, Lyle started a separate thread on this:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=232169&forum=5&8&start=0#7
Congratulations Ian on your super rope magic effect.

Actually, being able to utilize Pavel's method in reverse is not, IMHO, derivative magic at all. In fact, it shows great creativity and flexibility in "out-of-the-box" thinking. Of course, apparently not as creative or out-of-the-box as your method.

BTW, You stated that you always start your magic lecture by performing this effect. Other than for that reason, could you if you wished, perform it as a "mid-lecture" piece?

Thaks again for the YouTube video.

Mike

P.S. And no, no one was even remotely suggesting that you inappropriately copied someone else's effect and put it out as your own. At least I wasn't.
I have done this in the middle of shows where I must misdirect in order to do the setup. I do this as an opener in the lecture for one reason, it sets the tone of my lecture, it wakes them up and gets them in the mood for utterly mad methods. I have stronger openers for public shows, but the reaction to this is a like a fish on a hook.
The entire effect is true to the methodology of magic effects. In this case I simulate an entire effect and all of its moves to achieve the impact.
More in a private message.
-Ian
Ian
You are my kind of magician. You do simple and powerful magic. Is this effect taught in your lecture? If so I will start a one man campaign to hire you to lecture at a club near me.
NO JOKE.
Al
Okay Al,

I just went to Ian's website and purchased the effect. I'm thinking $10 is a bargain. Al - I'm going to know the secret very soon, and seeing as how we are such buds, guess what? I'm not telling!!! Ha...
Tony
Old buddy, old pal, I've been all over Ian's two sites, just how did you find it? Ten bucks is no problem.
Ian PM'd me the following note:

Glad you liked this. It is sneaky and has fooled thousands in my lecture since 1970's. It is available in 3 or four ways. My lecture...give me a shout and have your club book me. Or go to http://usmagic.biz/lecture.html and it is on my rope lecture DVD, the lecture notes DVD, or separately as its own DVD.
It is not usually sold to those who didn't see the lecture.
-Ian

Can you believe I asked for someone to reveal to me the secrets of a trick and the originator of the trick pm's me. How embarrassing! Ian seems like a good guy though. I was happy to send him my $10.
Tony
Thank you for your help.

Ian
I have passed your youtube video on to two local magic club presidents, and ordered your rope lecture DVD of this trick. Up until today "the Vishnu Rope Mystery" was my favorite rope trick.
Thanks
Al Angello
Okay - I have received the effect. It is awesome. You won't be disappointed, and Ian is definitely a very nice guy! In November my magic club's theme is "rings and strings" - Guess what I will be performing? When they go nuts trying to figure it out, I will encourage the leaders to schedule Ian for a lecture. Thanks Ian... Great job!
Looks Great !
Here I thought I knew all there was to know about PN. What a humbling experience viewing this routine. Wonderful thinking Ian, although I must admit I can't (after viewing it three times) figure out what that thinking was.

I have to have this!

Andy
Andy, this works for layman as well, but with magicians, the subtlety and "joke" is that I know they are not watching me.
I have done this in my lecture for over 30 years and the reaction is still the same. You should have the link within the hour.
~magic Ian
Ian,

I have the download. Very devious "out-of-the-box" thinking Ian! Can't wait to spring it on the local Ring at the next meeting!

Andy
It's neat. I haven't downloaded the method but I think I know how it's done. But I can't see why you would do this except for magicians; and their suspicions will be aroused by the fact that you don't show the ropes properly at the start, plus another discrepancy that has already been mentioned. For laymen, the original is more magical because they inspect the ropes at the start and they clearly see them the same length during the count.
Robert
I bought it, and I love it.
So, who is in control? To state that you have a small, medium and long rope is a fact that would not be suspicious. In doing the original method, you only have a brief time that they are apart, and held at the fingertips and causes no more suspicion than not handing them out in the middle of the trick.
The beauty of this is that there is all of the misdirection and mischief of the original and you do of course show the ropes to be the same length.
The argument that you give that there are suspicions in not showing the ropes at the beginning is not any more valid than not showing the ropes as separate and long.
The only valid argument is that it is best to do this as an opening effect (I do have a method to do this anytime in the act, but it is not commercial enough to convey the method in instruction).
This effect has its place, and it IS best for magicians, or as your turn to do a trick for friends at a party and not during a regular show.
It is a lecture piece designed to set the tone for the balance of my lecture, and it sure is worth the look of confusion when I separate the ropes in their long state.
This also has its place where the original professor has been around and the wake up call on it is almost a sucker gag.
One other thing is to do all of the cool moves before you do the reveal. Swing the three around, lay it over your hand, tie the three ropes with knots etc.
--Magic ian
I've never done any rope tricks however this one has created a desire to learn a few! Any suggestions where to start guys?
Thanks in advance!
Mick
[quote]
On 2007-11-06 07:45, Al Angello wrote:
Robert
I bought it, and I love it.
[/quote]

But will you perform it for non-magicians?
Actually Robert I plan to make it part of my SAM4 stage competition this year. Last year I came in third, and this year I plan on doing better.
The absolute best investment is Daryl series on rope. He uses methods from scores of sources and his instruction is clear, intelligent and entertaining. He has an encyclopedic reference of routines and gives credit to the originators.
I learned from George Sands and do Sandsational rope, and Sandslide. Of course there is Phil Wilmarth and for his ring on rope, Aldo Columbini. The Abbotts encyclopedia of rope is a wealth of vitrually any rope effect, also Eric Lewis has some great stuff.
My rope lecture has some rethinking on the cut and restored and a superb change bag/Linking ropes routine.
Now that I've tooted my own horn, good luck.
--Magic Ian
Just ordered this...looking forward to receiving the download.
[quote]
On 2007-11-06 17:47, MickeyPainless wrote:
I've never done any rope tricks however this one has created a desire to learn a few! Any suggestions where to start guys?
Thanks in advance!
Mick
[/quote]

Mick,

Magic Ian is not steering you wrong. The Daryl 3 volume set on rope magic is superb. Daryl's DVDs teach rope magic using just rope or using rope and ring, etc. There is so much rope magic in these DVDs, you may begin to wonder "when will it end"?

Add to that Richard Sanders' "Fiber Optics" DVD and you've got enough diverse and entertaining magic to last you a lifetime. Fiber Optics starts off where Professor's Nightmare ends.

I know some people like learning magic from books, but, IMHO, in the case of rope magic, it is soooo much easier to understand and learn the moves off of a video.

And, if you want to learn finger ring magic (using rope, shoelace or velvet cord), try:

Gregory Wilson's "Ring Leader"
Jay Scott Berry's "Symphony on the Ring and Ribbon"
Bob Miller's "Relentless Ring and String"

Hope this helps.

Mike

P.S. While I don't know all the guys on here that "specialize" in rope magic, Al Angello is definitely one such person. If you have any questions in regards rope magic, just shoot Al a PM. I'm certain that he would be more than happy to help you in that regard.
AArgh!! Cant see it.
[quote]
On 2007-11-06 20:11, Al Angello wrote:
Actually Robert I plan to make it part of my SAM4 stage competition this year. Last year I came in third, and this year I plan on doing better.
[/quote]

I'm sure that's the right place for it, Al. Good luck.
Turk (Mike)and Robert Jenkins
Mickey and I are friends of Steve Dusheck so any friend of Steve's is a friend of mine. We have been PMing and he is on the right track, but I want to thank both you for the compliments.
Al
[quote]
On 2007-11-06 17:47, MickeyPainless wrote:
Thanks in advance!
Mick
[/quote]

Daryl's 3 DVD set is good, but you may want to start out less expensively with Fulves Self working Rope Magic, or the Encyclopedia of Rope (which is very extensive). These two have a good amount of ring and rope methods, and Sefalajia methods (think Dean's Box) as well. If you want finger ring and rope (or better string), Greg Wilson's Ring Leader is quite good.

John
Hi John
It is good to know that we all agree on where to start. I said Daryl, and Karl Fulves too.
Thank you all!
As Al mentioned, we've been shooting PM's back and forth and I have been burning the midnight oil reading all the past posts in this section.
I got a PN download and Scott Guinn's Ring on Rope and I'm waiting for a surprise in the mail. I plan to order Daryl's 3 DVD set, Fulves and the Encyclopedia to add to my library. I even dug out my old Mark Wilson book for the C&R's.
Being a huge Dusheck fan I'm a tinkerer and gaff nut as well so I've already made some "funny" ropes and knots and I've filled pages with ideas that may become something someday!
I'm having fun and that's what it's all about to me!
Mick
[quote]
On 2007-10-31 15:10, magicians wrote:
Hey Bob, You shoulda watched my lecture when you were in Tampa. That's how I open my lecture. Been doing that effect since the mid-seventies and it's my hook for the rest of the lecture.
If anyone has a club, I have my 30th anniversary lecture tour booking now thru 2008. 30 years of "Gotcha effects".
-Magic Ian
aka
Ian Sutz
stage name Ian Garrison
goto: http://www.Magicians.tv to see more segments from the show and lecture.
----Ian
[/quote]

Hello Ian,

Apologies are due. I'm sorry that I've been so slow getting back to this thread.

Certainly I should have seen your lecture when I was in Tampa. You know that I'm sorry I missed it. At least we got to have supper together. That was the last time I'll be in New Orleans first on the way.

New Orleans is only history now for entertainers. (Mardi Gras in Mobile is as close as it gets.) Tampa can get more of my time now. I do the RedNeck Riviera in January and February. It's time to scheme! (I'll trade you a lecture in Tampa for one in Birmingham.)

And don't tell Andy and Al that we did magic in the 70s. I almost have them believing that I'm young and new to all this. Keep it up and I'll tell him that you invented rope!

I'm sending you a PM.

You really know how to hurt a guy's feelings with three little pieces of rope! (Now I'll have to change my avatar.)

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Darn, I want to see it, but with my sloooow dialup, I can't. However, having bought some of Ian's effects in the past I am sure it is great, and after reading these reactions I would not hesitate to buy it without even seeing it. In fact, I am going to try and find out how to order it. Can anyone purchase it? Or do you have to get it after attending a lecture?

Regan
Regan,

Send Ian an email at magicianS@aol.com
and he will accomodate you.

Andy
[quote]
On 2007-11-13 17:28, Andre Hagen wrote:
Regan,

Send Ian an email at magicianS@aol.com
and he will accomodate you.

Andy
[/quote]
http://www.tricks.ws look for lecture link or:
http://bigduck.tripod.com/lecture.html
Probably 3-5 minutes by dialup.
-Ian
By the way, Andy..
Thanks for the support and thanks for the kind words Regan. You guys validate my work. It is heartening to have the reactions like this for something I did almost 25 years ago. (still doin it).
You might like this: I posted some old stuff on aol and youtube recently and saw some really raw footage of my first TV show showing the coin in balloon.
http://uncutvideo.aol.com/videos/bcd7586b77d43ec708f3c0691e27a026
(regan should go to the library to watch it on broadband).
-Ian
Ian,

I'm working on your coin in balloon, and your hookup for the Haunted Pack is outstanding. Really like your finesse on the cut-and-restored rope.

Never got so much for so little from a single order!

Andy
If you get Ian's lecture on DVD you are not going to be sorry. It is worth every penny. Now if you like his Professor's nightmare and how that ends wait till you see how he continues the routine using a change bag and a volunteer. I've seen Ian lecture 3 times, once at my house, and he has something new and different every time. Plus he is a great guy.

Chris
Thanks Ian, this has been great fun already. One of those "head slappers". The Prof. Nightmare has been so oversold here at the local renfest that it seemed everyone knew it. I am having great fun with yours already. I'm already hearing..."I knew they sold my kid the amateur version!" I already do a version of Sanders/Tabary combined but this will be great when I get called out for a quickie(magic). Especially when someone says "Cmon John, do that rope trick my kid does"..chuckle chuckle.

For some of the kids out there that are really interested in magic and know a few tricks, this is a great inspirational one (performance only) to convince them to keep learning. I feel like a kid again when I come across a discovery like this.

My uncle was a magician and would show me how to do the most simple parts of his effects given my interest in magic. He would then send me on to books to learn the rest. Only after I had exhausted my searching (whilst learning many incredible things along the way) would he reveal the real deal to me. This trick brings back that nostalgia.
[quote]

For some of the kids out there that are really interested in magic and know a few tricks, this is a great inspirational one (performance only) to convince them to keep learning. I feel like a kid again when I come across a discovery like this.
[/quote]
I am not very skilled, and I have just taken a different slant on performing the classics. My entire lecture (the "gotcha" lecture), is based on taking down the old timers and the know-it-alls who take a lot for granted.
I had some "reputation makers" like that when I started out, which gave me my taste for "magicians blood". I went to National conventions and did the "steel ball and tube" and was selling the trick to people who actually owned it and thought mine was somehow different. I had the book Magic w/a steel ball and tube:

http://bigduck.tripod.com/id5.html#tube

and sold the effect and the booklet. The book had a solid deception routine in it (before the "Kennedy Version", plus impossible steals and handouts and methods that didn't use the gimmick.
I show the ring and spring in the lecture (actually give the entire audience a set), then proceed to fool them with an imperceptible move and of course the magicians twist.
I live to hear "***, and wow, and son of a ----- from an audience of magicians. I am getting such a kick from comments like yours and others, and I'm just getting started. Thanks for the kind words. More to come.
-Magic Ian
Ian, I have ordered and got the download for your PN. Very good, I perform the traditional PN as a kids routine(with patter about good manners) and was looking for some way to perform it for a non-child audience. With the right patter this will work out well.
Great effect and thanks for sharing.

Craig
Ian speaks the truth about his ball and tube!

Rope tricks aside, if you think you know the ball and tube trick, but haven't seen Ians work with it....You haven't seen the ball and tube trick. It's a simple prop that a lot of us dismiss as simple. But Ian's routine will seriously hurt your feelings (AKA - fool you very badly). Highly recommended!

Lyndel
I bought Ian's PN and Love it! A lot of impact for a small price! And simple too!
Just watched the video, pretty cool, wouldn't do this for laymen much but really looks like fun pulling on magicians!
Just did a lecture for Laymen. It works great for any audience. The impact is the same for the lay audience. It's your mindset, that it may not be enough. From the lay perspective, they are just as amazed.
To all of you guys who viewed the nurope method of pm I did. I did the entire routine at a lecture on Wednesday. The results were as much of an impact as the professor Ian's nightmare. The only problem I have is that is added almost 6 more minutes of rope content to an already long lecture.
I am wondering how an all rope lecture would play on the circuit.
Right now, my lecture consists of rope, canes, candles, coin in balloon, and gimmick card handling. But rope magic is slowly pushing it off the menu.
Ian
I have done all rope shows for cub scout banquets, and much to my surprise it went over quite well. Well not exactly an all rope show. I did do 10 minutes of comedy juggling because juggling is my first love.

Rope magic is the only magic workshop they have at juggling conventions, and I have no idea what, other than rope magic, is popular with jugglers.
[quote]
On 2007-12-07 13:07, Al Angello wrote:
I have no idea what, other than rope magic, is popular with jugglers.
[/quote]

Enron's Corporate Account Books!
So, perhaps I should do my general lecture, and then have a separate "master class" or session for experts as an option for rope guys.
That would clear up a lot of space in my lecture which is a solid variety.
I was told that I have several lectures worth of material I am covering when I do show the complete lecture. The DVD's some of you have gotten from me was broken up into 4 segments anyway.
This is neat to sound out some problems I have had in presentation of my lecture, as it has been growing in depth only recently.
Just picked this up and must say it is a wonderful example of the phrase, "You learn something new everyday." Just when you thought everything that can be done with Professors Nightmare, here comes Ian to show us that is simply not true. If you love rope magic, you'll love the thinking behind this... the effect speaks for itself.

Regards, Steve
Thanks Ian
I did this great outside of the box trick last night at the IBM ring 6 stage competition and I came in third place.
Al
Well Al,
I perfected my alternate PN routine. The one where I can do it impromptu or anytime during the act.
So, I went to the ring 170, Orlando last night and did it for them. I had lectured two months ago for them, so they might have been expecting old stuff. Needless to say that I haven't seen more puzzled looks on the faces of any audience. Even the guys who I had tipped off, had no idea what was going on.
I started with sm, med, long, then had three all the same and separate, then went into linking ropes, untied the linking knots, and placed one of the three ropes in my pocket. I had two equal ropes showing which then became 3 equal lengths instantly. Then I flash restored that back to three unequal lengths which were exactly the same ropes I started with.
This time I did it with an assistant and patter. New Video soon!
--I already have orders. I was pleased.
I can't wait for that one.

You know professor Ian's nightmare has had a much bigger effect that I originally thought I have gotten several phone calls on it sincs December from guys that asked me about gimmicked rope in spite of the fact that I passed the rope out at the end of the trick. LOL
Al, Ian did his new rope trick at our Ring 170 meeting... All I can say is "blows your socks off". Not a miss or tell in the whole routine. I'll probably be setting up a lecture with Ian in a few months. Oh, yes I ordered one that night... If you like the linking ropes you may want to talk with Ian also he has a fantastic set for sale direct from him and I don't think you can make it for the price he sells them for, I ordered those too!

Chris
Ian
I do a non gimmicked linking rope routine the Godfather taught me. Is yours gimmicked?
Al and I have been discussing rope magic via PM, at his suggestion I've been watching Tabary with great excitment. I've learned the techeniques but need to smooth out moves.

I also purchased the greater magic teach-in series DVD on ropes. It included the non gimmicked linking ropes and is an instant learn with an astonishing effect. I had a gimmicked linking rope that I used in the late 70's through the 80's, and this is as effective, and is completely clean when you,re done (even before you're done).

Unfortunately I haven't been able to see the Professor Ian's Nightmare. The youtube link in the first post says it is by personal invitation or something. I am familiar with the traditional PN, and have learned Aldo Colomibini's Professors Math, which I like much better than the regular PN because the rope can be tossed to the audience in the end of the routine, and leads in directly into ring and rope trickes etc.

Is there a link to Ians PN so I can what all the excitement is about? It sounds stunning from the comments.
The consisitant link is at my site http://www.magicians.tv as well as a link to purchase the download. I messed up the youtube link. There is a replacement on youtube. Its the magic of username "stagetricks".
But, magicvideo depot and my site have all that I have to offer.
the youtube reloaded is at: http://youtube.com/watch?v=slGS-qUo8Jg

Thanks.
Thank you for the links, I now understand the buzz. Very nicely presented and puzzling. I guess I need to pull out the wallet!!!

Thanks again for the link.
Rick
I recomend buying Ian's DVD version of "professor Ian's nightmare" because he includes a fantastic cut and restore called "loops" which is just as big a shocker.
You haven't steered me wrong yet Al, I'll be doing that soon.
I am working on new patter and an expanded routine of proven material. I believe I will be calling it "Dances with Ropes". It almost feels like a waltz while I am doing it. Minimal movment Professors Nightmare transitions that will not let the spectator even remotely think of the method.
I was working on some patter that contadicts all of the action the audience sees.
I am shooting a demo this weekend.
-Ian
Sounds good Ian, look forward to seeing it!
Mick
I like it. Where do we find "Ian's DVD version of "professor Ian's nightmare" "

I had a look at http://www.magicians.tv and could not find it.

Also, should I wait until the new patter with expanded material is out?
I sent a PM, but here is the link:
http://magicians.podbean.com/2007/02/09/professor-ians-nightmare/
<quote>I went to the audition in Orlando and I must say that I was treated like a King. The professionalism of the staff from the security guards to the judges were just high par. I had only the 90 seconds, so I opted not to get too fancy, I did my new rope effect, and to my amazement, the judges were so attentive and they picked up on every nuance.
They asked about other magic I did, and I told them some of it was on my DVD. Then I mentioned I had a small illusion in the bag, and they welcomed me to do it.
I used one of their female assistants, and did my arm box (slice-off hand) using her. That, wowed em, and then they sent me in another room for a video interview.
There were several other magicians there (at least 4 others in the 2 hrs I stayed,) and they didn't get to do a the follow-up trick.
These other guys bought livestock, and larger props and illusions.
I may never get air time, but I was pleased. I don't work Vegas, or do 100 shows a year, I am mostly a behind the scenes inventor, but I loved the experience.
I then "worked" the cattle-call room, where general acts who did not have specific appointments hung out. There was some major talent there. I started linking and unlinking looped ropes, and I caught a producers eye who then invited me to do an on-camera interview. I gave them lots of background, and did the entire routine again for their camera. During the interview they asked who influenced my magic, so I mentioned Jeff McBride, and Lance Burton, and Walter Gibson. They loved the quick anecdotes I told about. It may never get to air, but,
I was pleased. </quote>

I mention this for two reasons. One, that I used rope as a vehicle to showcase my talents, since 90 seconds would not be enough time to do illusions or apparatus anyway. The pure white rope against my all black outfit, gave the judges a focal point, and allowed them to see my comfort level in front of a camera, and my speaking ability. My DVD had one of my nicer stage shows on it in front of a crowd of 800.
Second, it proved to me that a good solid rope routine, especally one that hasn't been seen, is a good, simple method to convey you are a magician. In a room full of singers and acrobats, I was approached by producers to do a ten minute interview. All I was doing was holding three rope and linking and unlinking them. (I used to do that with linking rings to get a "tip").

------------
I developed the rope effect I do, in segments. I have a "flash nightmare" where I don't stretch or loop the ropes, but instantly go from three different lengths to three equal, and back again with a "flash" restoration. That hits the audience hard. Next, I normally "do it again" but slowly and have the "magicians fooler" where the ropes are actually the same. Instead, I do a standard nightmare, and do linking ropes once the ropes are the same length.
Last, I vanish one rope, but still have three equal ropes.
Then I restore those to three unequal ropes.
-------------
Readers of this thread know that this newest routine is only a month old and I wanted to do it under "fire". Like the line from the song, "if I can make it there, I'll make it anywhere".
I just thought that I'd share the experience with you all. I don't expect to be on the show, so the mileage I get out of this is telling the story.
-----------
The performance at a local club is on my web site. That performance has a goof in it, but in hindsite..I was the only one who saw it.
http://www.magicians.tv Look for "dances with ropes".
Ian
You negelected to mention your body builder physique, and you matinee idole good looks.
Now you know why I stood out in the big audition room. All those anorexic models and acrobats didn't stand a chance.
I am on a twelve step diet though, I never sit less than twelve steps from the buffet.
My broadcasting course teacher said I had a good face for radio.
I guess I can't have brains, talent And good looks. But I do a great Santa Clause, and a really slow dancing cane.
Thanks Al.
Here is an experimental move which I believe improves my "Dances with Ropes" effect. It is raw footage of the new segment. It could stand alone.
http://magicians.podbean.com/works-in-progress/

If the link does not work, go to http://www.magicians.tv and look for "works-in-progress" link. I shot this at noon today. In my estimation, it will eliminate a "fumble' factor". Your feedback is always appreciated.
Ian - could you shoot this so that we can see the whole lengths of all three ropes to start with? At the moment the long and medium are hard to distinguish, apart from the fact that you tell us which is which.
I'll second the motion from rjenkins. In several of your videos it's very difficult to see if there's really any difference in the length of the two longer ropes.

Murf
Good feedback, I did it quickly and wasn't sure if it was visible.
I did it close-up at a club meeting tonight.
I will reshoot. Check out the same link at around 1 am.
Yes that is clearer. I don't know the workings but it still seems strange that the medium and long ropes are so similar in length, compared to the short rope. I don't know whether this is a necessary feature of the method, and whether it could be improved.

Also what strikes me as very obvious is that there is more total rope at the end than at the start; whereas in the original PN the total is the same and the long rope has got shorter, as well as the short rope getting longer. In your version it's not clear that the long rope has got any shorter (if it has).

Of course someone seeing it for the first time might well not notice any of this.
[quote]
Yes that is clearer. I don't know the workings but it still seems strange that the medium and long ropes are so similar in length, compared to the short rope. I don't know whether this is a necessary feature of the method, and whether it could be improved.
[/quote]

The problem with your thinking is that you are associating the original effect and method with what you are seeing. Which is why this is called "dances with ropes" rather than calling it a "nightmare effect".
The premise of the professors nightmare is of course, that you are taking 3 different lengths and now they are equal.
The original patter for the nightmare is that you are "averaging" the lengths of the rope.
If you do not state the premise of the nightmare and just go with what is being said, you will allow yourself a different perspective.
All I say is that I have a small, medium, and long rope and now they are the same length. I am not saying that they are averaged out. Of course, the ropes are longer than they started out, that IS the trick.
The entire routine is shown in the other link, dances with ropes.
IN that routine, I start with the unequal, and do "average" out the rope lengths without noticeable difference in rope length and true to tradition, one gets short and one longer.

Segment two, was to do it again, but this time to have the three ropes separate and equal. (not a bad name for a rope effect or patter). To do this, I am not doing your Fathers method, I am doing the magicians fooler which also plays well to the layman.
So, back to your feedback, which I am greatful for. The actual rope lengths you are seeing are 14" 32" and 50". In actuality, segment one, does indeed average out to 3, 32"+/- ropes, then I go back. The proportions of the "start" are perfect.

[quote]
Also what strikes me as very obvious is that there is more total rope at the end than at the start; whereas in the original PN the total is the same and the long rope has got shorter, as well as the short rope getting longer. In your version it's not clear that the long rope has got any shorter (if it has).

Of course someone seeing it for the first time might well not notice any of this.
[/quote]
The deviation (this segment) is the strange one, where the three ropes become the same by becoming longer.
So, your comment is partially valid there, as the three ropes do become 50" lengths (longer than they started out)rather than averaged out. My question is, "is that a problem, or just part of a puzzle?"
The latest technique to do this might be too quick and not enough misdirection and I must consider that. The first method I used, simulated the placing of the three ropes into the hand, and having all three lengths out of sight for a moment and then they become the same. The "magic" may require the misdirection of that movement to remove that mental dilemna.
All of this routine developement was a challenge by the Café members to be able to do my original Professor Ian's nightmare, in the middle of the act, rather than as an opener. That method, was solved. But then, I decided to add some elements to become a routine that envelopes the linking ropes without requiring special preparations of the "stock" product.

The fact that two of the ropes grow, is perhaps acceptible in the context of the entire routine, and you are right. As a stand-alone effect, this would be more of a magicians puzzle.
Ian
I've watched it a couple of times, and it is pure genius that once again will fool a magician. I have an idea how you do it but the more I know the more impressed I am. I'm sorry it took me a couple of days to get back to you but even magicians work occasionally.
OK, thanks for the clarification. I'd missed your performance of dances with ropes. I agree it makes more sense after the traditional PN. But, if the puzzle of this section is for two of the ropes to become longer, then might it not be a good idea for you to say so in your presentation? i.e. phase one is: all ropes become the same; phase two is: all ropes become the same, but there is more rope.

As it is in your live performance, phase 2 comes over as PN-to-fool-magicians (which it does very effectively).

I really like the linking ropes (as did your audience).

I realise that you were really asking for feedback on the handling rather than the routining. Obviously you've cracked the problem of how to incorporate it in the middle of a routine.

In the traditional PN, I've never really liked the handling where you bring the ends of the rope up together, because it seems unmotivated (and is also unnecessary). Is there any way in your version in which you could eliminate the draping-the-rope-over-the-hands move, so that you can just "stretch" the ropes?
If you get a chance to see the very first move in Dances, that's what I do.. A flash equal length then a flash restoration.
http://www.magicians.tv look for dances with ropes. I have done it better, but someone taped it live so I am going with it as a work in progress.
I will post each segment separately.
I am doing this as a test reaction thing before I release the finished project. This forum is a great asset to develope material and get International commentary and critique. I just have to remember not to get on the defensive since I asked for it.
This last move is different than on the "dances w ropes" demo. That had a fumble, which this variation eliminates. In the patter I am working on, I kind of acknowledge what "other magicians do", or "you've seen other magicians do this".
[quote]
On 2008-02-02 17:42, magicians wrote:
If you get a chance to see the very first move in Dances, that's what I do.. A flash equal length then a flash restoration.
http://www.magicians.tv look for dances with ropes. I have done it better, but someone taped it live so I am going with it as a work in progress.
I will post each segment separately.
I am doing this as a test reaction thing before I release the finished project. This forum is a great asset to develope material and get International commentary and critique. I just have to remember not to get on the defensive since I asked for it.
This last move is different than on the "dances w ropes" demo. That had a fumble, which this variation eliminates. In the patter I am working on, I kind of acknowledge what "other magicians do", or "you've seen other magicians do this".
[/quote]
We shot the instruction and some nicer footage of my Dances with Ropes routine. My performance still has some minor flaws (mostly timing and patter)but this latest clip is bright and clear.
http://magicians.podbean.com/dances-with-rope/
or go to http://www.magicians.tv and search. For those of you who were waiting for the instruction, it should be ready mid week.
Ian
I think that all of your moves have meaning now with the addition of words.
BEST YET
Al
Hi Ian,

Sweet. Can't wait for mid week :)

Regards, Steve
Dances with Ropes DVD: Well, I worked on the editing for a day and a half now. I think I have it right. I put the demo, instruction, and theory behind each move. Plus each segment is taught separately. I include linking ropes instruction, plus my older linking ropes performance. I also included the original Professor Ians nightmare on the DVD. Runs 51 minutes. I will be trying out a lecture on just that routine on Friday. Bob Sanders will be there, he and I are lecturing at Magic by the bay in Tampa, fl. Not sure about pricing this, but I am including a set of Linking Ropes, so maybe convention prices of $39.99 might be reasonable.
All those who have helped in the developement of my effects have special pricing.
The video was shot by Chuck Smith who has the "Enigma the Video" Bi-monthly Video Magic magazine so the footage is clear.
The first copies have a green screen backdrop. Later versions will have some sort of magical backdrop as soon as I get my Chroma-key working.

-Magic Ian
Ian
I will hold off buying a set of linking ropes untill your DVD comes out.
I am doing the lecture in Tampa on Friday on just the "dances with Ropes effect". The (almost final) cut of the DVD has several segments on it. First is a very fast looking professors nightmare, totally unexpected, then a second one using my "handling" from a move mentioned on another post. Also unepected.
Third is the "answer" to the Professor Ians nightmare that can be done at anytime in the act. The ropes may all be shown as separate equal lenghths.
Then you do linking ropes, then vanish one of the three ropes, but you then go from two equal lengths to three equal lenghths again, then finally the ropes are small medium and long.
I have slowed down all of the moves so as not to "race" the effects like Fibre optics. I was also careful NOT to have anything that is included in The Sanders, Sands, or Tabary routines.
Those routines are perfect compliments to mine and will blend nicely.
--------
Also included on the 55 minutes DVD is my original routine that has been downloaded, plus the linking rings change bag effect from my lecture, a 3 minute live show segment, plus one additional trick with rope and card.
Personally, I have had a set of linking ropes for a couple years now, and have never used them for reasons concerning practicality. I never could find a good excuse for using them.

HOWEVER, After seeing Ian combine them with the "Professor's Nightmare", the "Linking Ropes" now have a good usefull place to be.

Thanks for sharing that with me IAN!
The rope lecture went well in Tampa. I was then asked to do the Friday evening show with an encore performance. I did the rope effect as the opener, then cards across, then finished with my own "slice-of-Hand" illusion, all well received.
I pretty much sold all of the DVD sets and ropes that I brought with me.
Thanks to all on the Café for your seeds of ideas that lead to the creation of "Dancing with ropes".
I will be posting the final patter and polished routine soon. The DVD is ready now.
For over thirty years I had no reason to change my rope routine. After the lecture Ian gave at Tampa, I will be making changes that I never believed could actually be done.

In Ian's hands, rope is magic!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
For those of you who have gotten my Professor Ian's Nightmare...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q04Hk9cYfbs
This also works well with red white and blue ropes. Quite an unusual impact.
You can do a false count as a real goof. It got a very big laugh in Orlando on Sunday.
I can't see the first link. Could Ian please post the link again? Ive seen magic Ian's lecture in Tampa, but I want to make sure that it's the effect I'm thinking of.
Alfred, The lecture in Tampa was "Dances with ropes" and luckily I also put the "profesor Ian's nightmare" on that DVD as well.
Both clips are on my video site: http://www.magicians.tv
The first one is: Professor's nightmare- look in the left hand collumn of links. The second routine (from Tampa) is Dances with Ropes.
The DVD has both explanations plus extras.
Thanks for asking.
-Ian