(Close Window)
Topic: Bullet Catch Question
The recent thread on the bullet catch got me thinking about "modern" presentations of this effect. Generally, the spectator signs a bullet, it gets loaded in a gun, and the spectator fires it at the magician, only to have the magician catch the bullet in his mouth. The marked bullet supposedly proves it is the same one that was previously chosen.

My question or concern lies in the logic of signing a bullet. Now, I'm no gun expert but a bullet seems to be comprised of 2 parts: the projectile and the casing. The casing is usually dislodged from the gun as the projectile moves toward the target. But it's the casing that is signed.

So, in a bullet catch, shouldn't the marked casing be found on the floor by the spectator?

Kent
It was performed like that with Penn and Teller.
I believe the bullet was often marked by scratching it or some such. Or you could do it like Carl Skeenes and actually catch the bullet.
Just wondering if a dozen or so people have died doing this trick or is it a myth to build the suspense.

I found the other thread and see it is all true......
Penn and Teller's routining of the Bullet Catch was great. Both the projectile and casing were marked. Both were also verified. I'm sure I've seen it on youtube.
I had the honor of loading Penn's pistol 11 years ago for the double bullet catch.
I put my initials on the bullet and a smiley face on the shell. I took what appeared to be my signed bullet out of Teller's mouth.
I still have the shell and bullet. It is a very clever illusion. Like Penn has stated, "we are crazy, but we are not stupid". Any one that knows anything about guns and the nature of bullets, and has a knowledge of magic, can figure out their method. It is extremely safe.
[quote]
On 2007-11-09 08:01, la9 wrote:
Just wondering if a dozen or so people have died doing this trick or is it a myth to build the suspense.

I found the other thread and see it is all true......
[/quote]

Very true!
[quote]
On 2007-11-05 23:35, magicman845 wrote:
T[...] Now, I'm no gun expert but a bullet seems to be comprised of 2 parts: the projectile and the casing. The casing is usually dislodged from the gun as the projectile moves toward the target. But it's the casing that is signed.

So, in a bullet catch, shouldn't the marked casing be found on the floor by the spectator?

Kent
[/quote]

Someone who [i]is[/i] a gun expert would explain to you that the shell (casing) from an expended bullet is only ejected from a gun if that gun is a semi-automatic (or fully automatic). This type of gun is rarely used for the bullet catch effect; Penn and Teller (for example) use revolvers. The casings from revolver rounds remain in the cylinder until they can be manually ejected by the user.

TW