(Close Window)
Topic: PICTURES OF MY NEW SHADOW BOX
Hi to all, Just wanted to get your opinions on this recent shadow box I have just completed, specially, appearance, size "eye view" and most important deceptive base/box......The box needs a few more things such as the side and back panels, and the back light. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Here is the link for the pictures..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11047925@N05/show/
Magia- Very nice work... this looks professional and I'm sure it will hold years of great performances. The only thing I could suggest is a tad bit of scenic work... Maybe som turnbuckles or graphics; however, this is only personal preference.

Good job and thanks for the pictures!

-Bryan
Not bad at all. Looks well constructed, should hold up for quite a while. Table looks great as well.
Looks great!

Bairefoot
Thanks for your response.... My biggest concern is the deceptive part of the illusion... I've been doing magic for so long...that sometimes is hard to view an illusion in the eyes of the audience....and determine what is deceptive and what is not....
Looking at it from a audience point of view it may be more believable if the side panels were removable instead of folding down. This is just my personal thoughts that I would do if it was mine
I was going to make an observation to the negative, but then I saw your other post referring to this as a surrounded "Shadow Box".

Looks good!

Cheers! ;)
Dave, great observation but by having the folded down version increases the load, which would be impossible to hide if the doors were removable. Thanks for your post....
Oh ok, I just took another look at it and I see what your saying.
One thing I would of liked is to have the doors open automatically....i.e. some type of remote controlled....I also need the light to turn on and off by control....any thoughts?
Presumably your assistant can turn the lights on and off... and maybe even operate the doors?
That is an option but I would perfer to have full control...
The light control is the easy part-
https://www.gethandyswitch.com/ver4/index.asp
Sorry about the obnoxious infomercial host.
Doors opening automatically- Personally, I think it is a bad idea. It might make it seem too mechanical. Fall open, maybe.
Just m'thoughts
Gwyd
Gwyd, thanks for that link. This is just perfect.....I will definitely purchase this item....
What did you use for the texture on the box frame? Did you paint this or was it something store bought?
Chris, for the frame I used laminate which covered the birch plywood frame. You can special order different colors with different variations of designs from Home Depot. Hope this helps.
That's a well-built box! I have a suggestion however...Now the box continues all the way down to the table though it does look to be on small legs. To separate it more from the table, add some blocks (aluminum maybe) on the corners to separate it from the table visually.

As for the automatic doors, you could use a few small winches on top of the cabinet, but then again that just adds to the cost and there's more stuff to worry about. There is some purely mechanical options for a slow gracefull opening, but they're not obviously remote operated.
Thanks for your recommendations mvmagic. I will put them to the test and see the results.... Now for the mechanical door opener, I'm not familiar (not mechanically inclined) on how it would work or how to make it work. Any suggestions? Thanks again.
You could use strong spring hinges. With the proper strength, they will dampen the door opening (of course its just gravity at work but a door slowly opening does look magical and automatic) and wont close it (as that's what they generally are meant to do).

Of course this works for the opening. In addition to the winches I mentioned, you could have a sort of a lever system which works with linear actuators and that would open and close the doors but that could be cost prohibitive.
The hinges sound like a plan....I will do some search and find out were can I buy such hinges. Thanks again for your help and comments.
Once you get a spring hinge set up, you could look into RC servo motors (like those used with remote control cars) to control a latch, which should be a simple rod attached between the latch and the motor. Your local hobby store would have the motors; just set them to the same channel and they'll all open the doors with a flip of a switch. Of course, since toying with an RC controller is rather obvious, that would probably mean someone off-stage would be controlling it, in which case you'd be best with the assistant controlling it in the first place, but that's beside the point.
Now that's a good idea, cost-effective too as one can find sets like that kinda cheap. Also, it gives you the chance to have manual control of the doors.
Yea, that sounds like a plan...I guess I need to figure out a plan on how to put the hinges/servos to work.....Again thanks for your ideas.
Look for a latch that is released by pulling. Put some small blocks between the frame of the box and the doors so the doors are not completely vertical but taper upwards a bit. This way, when the latch is released, gravity works it magic and the doors open, much like a blammo but with the spring hinges slowing it down.

You should easily find some basic servo sets that can pull the latch open.

Also, you can make a pull-release latch yourself.

One option for release is a couple of small electro magnets. Good thing is there is no moving parts.
Very nice job! looks amazing!
Magia355, hows the shadow box doing? Done any additional work on it yet?
Unfortunately, I've been so busy preparing a dvd demo, and putting together a stage/manipulation act......I'm planning to resume the project after I get back from overseas sometime in May. Thanks again for all your support.

Richard
Well, finally I put my shadow box on my show...and it works great. Thanks for everyones input and support. Finally, I decided to connect a battery operated light which works with a small remote control. This provides me greater control of the light and I don't have to worry about cords etc....The doors are opened manually, but hopefully when time permits...I'm still looking into remotely make the doors open and close slowly. Here in my webpage I have addded my picture with the final product, hope you all like it...

http://www.ricksanchezmagic.com

Thanks again.
Richard