(Close Window)
Topic: Flash Forward - great 4 kids!
Sorry if you guys have already talked about this but I use this for small group kids stuff and it's great. Imagine a Svengali deck made with picture flash cards!
http://www.paltergeist.com/flashforward.php
LOVE the idea and the pictures, I just think that $49 (including shipping) is a little high for something like that. When it says "oversized", how large are they?

Steve
Hi Steve, Well I guess you could buy 26 decks of flash cards and a card cutter to make one. It would run you about $60. Of course, you could make more than one deck that way too. If you stay busy, you will more than make back your $39.95, I think.
Welcome to the Café, Arizona Magic One. Can we know your real identity? I have an old friend from England who does lots of Children's shows in Arizona. You may know him.
So, you bypassed the question I asked completely. How large are the "oversized" cards used in this effect? Is this your prop that you're marketing through "ads" on the Café, or is this made by someone else?

Steve
Sounds cool. How many cards are in the deck? And, how big are the cards? Sounds good for mentalism.

John
Hi Steve, didn't mean to be rude but I have a hangup about people who think magic is over-priced, I have a friend who is an inventor and you wouldn't believe what it cost to market something. Advertising, packaging, supply minimums, printing, shipping, lost time, etc. Many inventors never market their stuff because of these costs, we should be thankful for those who have done all the dirty work for us! And sorry I missed your question, they are about 5x4. No, they are not made by me, they are advertised here at the Café. If you go to the main page there is an ad for The Red Carpet, which leads you to their website.

Hi Tom, I am from Arizona which is where I got my name but right now I live in Washington. I grew up in a small town near Flagstaff, I miss it a lot but I have to be here right now. Who is your friend?

Hi John, they are great for mentalism, they are full sized decks and you get two decks. One being normal which they say is for examination. But what I do is let them shuffle the regular deck and I do a few normal card tricks, then deck switch and blow 'em away. I use this at a local Café where I work but it could be used in small stage work too.

Just thought it was something different kid's performers would like. See ya!
"Hi Tom, I am from Arizona which is where I got my name but right now I live in Washington. I grew up in a small town near Flagstaff, I miss it a lot but I have to be here right now. Who is your friend? "

My friend is Roger Blakiston
Sorry, Zona - Can't see spending 50 bucks for a Svengali deck when any deck of phonics or alphabet cards from a toy shop or school supply outlet and a couple of basic forces will accomplish the same thing...and more...with a completely examinable and infinitely more affordable deck.
As I said, the look and size of the cards is fantastic, but I have to agree with Skip, as I did above. Little pricey, even taking R&D, marketing, advertising, dealers and everything else. Maybe even if it were postpaid, the $39 might not be too bad...just can't see that much.

Steve
[quote]
On 2007-11-24 14:20, Skip Way wrote:
cards from a toy shop or school supply outlet and a couple of basic forces will accomplish the same thing...
[/quote]

???
You have never seen a really good Svengali pitch then
You can do an infinite number of things with sven that you could NEVER do with "normal" cards! What sleight of hand do you know that changes an entire deck to a selected card? Blows kids (and adults) away.

But really I didn't come here to argue whether this was your thing or not, I was trying to be helpful to others. I will stifle that.
Hi Arizonamagic1:

Thanks for the information - I think I may get these cards. I don't mind paying a decent price if it's something I'm going to use, and I positively see a use for these.

Can you tell me - are they on normal playing card stock? Also, what kind of back do they have?

Again, thanks for sharing your find. It's really appreciated by me.

Best Regards,

Ron
Zona, sorry, man...Not trying to stifle helpful assistance and certainly didn't mean to slight you or your suggestion. We all have our own ideas on what's great and what misses. I personally prefer to avoid gimmicked decks as much as possible - my choice, my direction - and felt inclined to voice that opinion. My methods are not for everyone.

Please don't stop offering your perspective simply because we don't all agree with you. My dissenters far outnumber my supporters...c'est la vie!
Not a bad price if you are working! It is unique - different - and it isn't something that every hobiest or want-to-be will have in their show. It really is a value when you think of it!
There are other Svengali decks for kids out there. This one seems over-priced as stated above. But of course, if it's just what you need, it's good value. Even so, I can't help but agree that it would make more sense to buy 26 picture decks and make your own set. Cutting down 26 cards using Korner Short, a steel rule, and sharp knife would take about 15 minutes. If you have access to a printers' guillotine, it would take about 5 minutes. And if you use the deck a lot, you'll want to replace it in a couple of months' time. the DIY method will provide you with many more decks for the same price.
Just my 2c.
Wow Potty, you should make your own, sell them, and make some money! ;)

I bought these cards. They are very cool. I received a clown as a force card. I plan on using them in a mentalism routine on intuition. I do not enjoy sitting around at night cutting cards and measuring stuff. I have three kids we have to play Wii!!

John
Hi Arizonamagic1:

Thanks for sharing your fabulous find. They are worth considering, especially if they are made of card stock.
I like the Clown as a force card. Is there a choice?

Thanks again,

Max
Yes, I'd like to know that too. Also, what kind of card stock is used. I've looked at some of the picture card sets and have never found any made from suitable stock.

Regan
John, you could so easily do this in a few minutes, but you would need a Korner Short for the corners. Now there's a useful gadget, I take mine for granted, but it's a Godsend for so many card effects. A friendly printer would cut all your cards a few mm shorter in about 2 minutes, and they'd be exactly the same cut. Hey, I'm not a big fan of DIY when it comes to props, not at all. But I do make my own short cards, Svengali R&S forcing decks, and other simple things that take almost no time or effort.
Thanks for sharing.

I'm currently trying to work out how to make a Jumbo McCombical Deck with picture cards preferably fruit or food. This might be something I could use in the mean time.

Any ideas on the McCombical deck guys?

George