(Close Window)
Topic: The best series in the history of television is...
...KUNG FU!

I mean the original one from 1972-1975, with David Carradine.

I was thinking of giving reasons, but why?

But if you want to name a different series, you should give reasons. Until someone convinces me otherwise, Kung Fu is king.

Jeff
Monkey Magic.

I was raised by the tv so its a little hard to choose a favourite - they are all like my dad - but this was deffinatly on the top of my list... Why???
Because Monkey was born from an egg on a mountain top, his nature was irrepresable, he knew every MAGIC TRICK under the sun, that's just for starters... He would beat the living **** outta Carradine....
Monkey Magic? A bit obscure, don't you think?

I'm not talking about which series is my favorite. My favorite is whichever one I'm currently preoccupied with.

I'm talking about the BEST, the one with a combination of excellent writing, excellent premise, well-developed story lines, superb music, good character development, even good costumes and such. I'm talking about quality, as objectively as we can assess it--which I agree is hard to do.

So, I'll accept Monkey Magic as your vote; but do you *really* think it was the best ever, as opposed to your favorite?
Twilight Zone. Though I was also a fan of Kung Fu, once edge I'd give to Twilight Zone is a much greater diversity of plot. The writing generally ranged from pretty good (the ones Serling didn't write) to outstanding (the ones he did write).
Odd you should bring this up, stoneunhinged, because I was just thinking you look like David Carradine.

For the record, the best series on television was, and always will be, SEINFELD!
Gilligans Island!!! I liked Mary Ann
Seinfeld
Twilight Zone is a very good possibility. I thought of it myself because it was one of my favorites.

I agree about the variety...but I think that what constitutes a good series *is* an element of continuity. Which Twilight Zone doesn't have. It's up there, I agree. But Kung Fu is better.

As far as Gilligan's Island goes...I, too, loved it. But *best*? Surely you are joking. Ditto Seinfeld. And Michael, as good as Seinfeld was...better than Mary Tyler Moore or The Bob Newhart Show? Better than Happy Days was in its first season? Hmmm.

Again, I'm not talking about favorites. Not that anyone cares, but my absolute favorite by 2 1/2 miles is the original Star Trek with Shatner, Nimoy, and Kelley. It may even be the *GREATEST* series of all times, "greatest" meaning that we must include impact as well as quality. My second favorite series of all time is Dragnet.

But for sheer quality, I still vote for Kung Fu. Come on, folks. Throw out some real contenders, like the Fugitive or the Waltons or Disney's Wonderful World of Color. Let's put Kung Fu up against the big boys, not Gilligan.

Jeff
The Prisoner, with Patrick Mcgoohan.
I loved Kung Fu.
Twilight Zone, Columbo and Mission Impossible rank up there for me.
Corona, I had never heard of the Prisoner. I just read the Wikipedia article, and it sounds excellent, indeed.

How could it be I never heard of it? Curious. From the article, it would seem that it ran in the States, and it also sounds like something that would attract a cult following, like Monty Python or Dr. Who or the Thunderbirds. (Yes, I have a complete set of Thunderbirds DVDs. Thunderbirds are GO!).

By the way, what about Dr. Who? Better than Kung Fu?
Doctor Who
Phoneamum.
Fawlty Towers.
Writing: the best
Casting: the best
Acting: the best
Directing: the best
Set design: O.K.
Knowing when to say when: Brilliant!!!!
If John Cleese see's that he'll be pm'ing you all kinds of insults.
Ooops! I'm sorry, I didn't realize It was a compliment.
Just some comments ...

The UK series 'The Prisoner' was pretty good, but I wouldn't call it best ever. For those who liked 'The Prisoner', it inspired an American series in the 90s called 'Nowhere Man'. Which was actually really very good if you followed the story arc:

http://www.theunmutual.co.uk/comparesnowhere.htm

http://www.nowhereman.org/

I never watched enough episodes of Kung Fu to have an opinion on that series. I hope it was better than the updated Kung Fu series. The 2004 comedy movie 'Kung Fu' (no relation to the series) is supposed to be hilarious, though I've not seen it.

Votes cast for Seinfeld should be disallowed, unless the voter is at least 40 years of age with at least 35 years of television viewing experience.

Anyone remember 'The Mod Squad' from the late 60s / early 70s?
Another vote for [i]Fawlty Towers[/i]. Maybe because of my age at the time, the first season of [i]Twin Peaks[/i] is up there for me too.

Today, about the only TV I watch is [i]Trailer Park Boys[/i]--kind of a guilty pleasure.

John
O.k. best current series would have to be LOST. Its filled with great twists and turns and edge of your seat storylines.

But Monkey Magic reigns supreme - aka best of all time - It was full of fantasy, magic, monsters and good prevailing over evil.
Monkey has stayed with me throughout my life, I relate well to him and later on in life I had the pleasure of reading the book and that is amazing too.
Jerrine:

"Fawlty Towers.
Writing: the best"

Agreed.

"Casting: the best"

Agreed.

"Acting: the best"

Agreed.

"Directing: the best"

Agreed.

"Set design: O.K."

Agreed.

"Knowing when to say when: Brilliant!!!!"

Indeed.

So Fawlty Towers was about as perfect a show as ever existed on television.

Comparing it to Kung Fu seems wrong, however. Maybe I screwed up this thread. Maybe we have to distinguish between comedy and drama.
My guess would be that everyone has thier favorite TV show according to the genre. Comedy, talk show, cop, hospital, scifi, western, etc.
No one mentioned MASH.

Although not my favorite, it probably gets high marks in most of the criteria mentioned earlier.

Steve
The Simpsons

writing - brilliant
voice actors - amazing
animation - excellent

they have parodied and covered just about every aspect of western society and popular culture.

either that or Cop Rock or the Montefuscos
[quote]
On 2007-12-02 13:59, stoneunhinged wrote:
Corona, I had never heard of the Prisoner. I just read the Wikipedia article, and it sounds excellent, indeed.
[/quote]

It was very good but the whole premise was that you went along with the ride mainly to find out what was really going on and who was behind everything. The series finale was something out of "Twin Peaks" and made no sense at all to me. I don't think it ever really explained who was behind the plot to keep him on the island. I was a kid when I watched so maybe he ending was just to twisted for me.

Best,

Tim
The first few years of "All in the Family".

A close second would be....

"Monty Python's Flying Circus". It is easy to overlook, as so many people know the sketches now, and familiarity breeds contempt, but my goodness, what a ground-breaking show. Brilliant.

I love "Fawlty Towers", too.
My two absolute favorites:

Seinfeld and Monty Python's Flying Circus!

I watch the Simpsons very frequently, as well as South Park.

Unfortunately, I am yet to see Fawlty Towers. It makes me sad that I haven't had a chance to watch it before.
Message: Posted by: Josh the Superfluous (Dec 2, 2007 06:06PM)
COPS!
By far...Baretta.
Great drama/comedy.
Excellent acting.
Clear writing.
Meticulous set designs.
Futurama! Not even being canceled could stop this series!
I thought about it and I have to go with Monk.
If I haven't used up my votes, I'm also a big supporter of Monty Python and The Simpsons. And South Park seems to do for my children what Mad magazine did for me.

John
Sanford and Son. It's the only one I still watch every night and have watched since it went off the air and now more than ever since I am channeling Fred Sanford in daily life.

As the only other TV show I've ever been hooked on is a contemporary reality show, both UK and US versions "Nightmare Kitchen" Compelling.
I love Lucy ,Andy Griffin show...oh the good old days.
MASH.

Great in every aspect AND it covered a range of topics from light hearted to controversial and cutting edge.
[quote]
On 2007-12-02 10:50, stoneunhinged wrote:
...KUNG FU!
[/quote]
I will probably be the only one here to agree with you - there's more to the little Zen lessons than initially meets the eye.

You might want to see CIRCLE OF IRON on DVD - more of the same.
Actually, Ross, Kung Fu has a lot of support. I know in the South, where I lived when it first ran, Kung Fu was biiiiig
I forgot about the old "The Outer Limits" show.

Great stuff for the 60's!
Kung Fu, too historically inaccurate and not very martial arts accurate. Prisoner was attention getting, but too much lost if you didn't experience it in the time period it was produced. Otherwise the final episode will go totally over your head. Though I still think it was Patrick Magoohan's best work.
I'm a 50's child, so series that kept me glued were The Incredible Mr. Peepers, Sgt. Bilko (AKA Army life and the Phil Silvers show), Red Skelton, That Show of Shows, 1950's Dragnet, hmmmm so many, I'll play my prejudice card and go with The Magic Land of Alakazam.
Does anybody else go back, umpty years later, to shows they found "awesome" in their youth, and viewing them again you wonder what you ever saw in this dreadful garbage?

Adventures of Robin Hood (my childhood favorite, the one with Richard Greene) holds up well, but I remember finding the archival Mickey Mouse Clubs (briefly brought back in the early 80s) breathtakingly bad. I can't watch too many of the old Twilight Zone episodes without wondering where my brain was during their initial run (those that hold up, though, are still stunning). Bought Season 3 of Have Gun Will Travel at the urging of my younger son - watchable, literate, but ... how can a half-hour drama be so darned SLOW?
[quote]
On 2007-12-02 21:29, rossmacrae wrote:
[quote]
On 2007-12-02 10:50, stoneunhinged wrote:
...KUNG FU!
[/quote]
I will probably be the only one here to agree with you - there's more to the little Zen lessons than initially meets the eye.

You might want to see CIRCLE OF IRON on DVD - more of the same.
[/quote]

I LOVE CIRCLE OF IRON!!!! lol
I tend to discover series after they are off the air, the only things I watch now that are being made is Monk, Psych, Boston Legal....and the greatest show ever but wasn't really written and thus not qualified for this question, Reno911. I still have never seen Friends, saw Seinfield once and hated it, or any other main stream shows. I also didn't watch anything from 79 to 87 cuz, well, I was drunk and capturing yound ladies (rather than just chasing them). I didn't even have a TV until I got married.
I don't usually watch t.v., but when I do it is either King of the Hill, South Park, Boondocks or family guy. (someone mentioned futurama, I used to watch it all the time. there is a rumor going around that there will be a movie and then it will have a couple more seasons, however, this is just a rumor)
The Simpsons is definitely the best TV show in the history of television.
Cheers, All In The Family
Ya know, I've never heard of over half the shows mentioned, are a lot of them UK type shows?
[quote]
On 2007-12-02 23:18, rossmacrae wrote:
Does anybody else go back, umpty years later, to shows they found "awesome" in their youth, and viewing them again you wonder what you ever saw in this dreadful garbage?

Adventures of Robin Hood (my childhood favorite, the one with Richard Greene) holds up well, but I remember finding the archival Mickey Mouse Clubs (briefly brought back in the early 80s) breathtakingly bad. I can't watch too many of the old Twilight Zone episodes without wondering where my brain was during their initial run (those that hold up, though, are still stunning). Bought Season 3 of Have Gun Will Travel at the urging of my younger son - watchable, literate, but ... how can a half-hour drama be so darned SLOW?
[/quote]
Oh absolutely. Have the Richard Greene series on DVD watch it frequently, get a charge when as a kid I never realized what I did as an adult. The whole series was filmed in a very few weeks. They used like two sets, a few outside shots that repeated frequently, and mostly brought in different stock actors to do most of the show, with Greene popping in for a few shots in each show. Filmed more than one at a time with Greene popping from set to set to do his bit.
Also have Annie Oakley, Gale Davis was great in it, inspite of thin veiled re-written Gene Autry scripts.
Of course the Lone Ranger.
And the absolute must, The Adventures of Superman. I always thought George played me best. ;)
Burns and Allen, Topper, and the Master in You Bet Your Life (still wondering how he got all that Mrs. Badonivic stuff past the censors.
And can we possibly forget Sir Roger Moore as Ivanhoe?
Ah, those were the days!
Blackadder and Seinfeld
X-Files
I really felt that it was a very high quality show. Most episodes could stand alone, yet there was always a supblot running.
It was not my favourite show of all times, but one that holds it's own very well.
My fave shows would probably be Lexx, Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Xena.
But for the most part, they were fluff (Buffy had some amazing moments though...)
Gwyd the Geek (And not in the sideshow kinda way this time)
Red dwarf, Black Adder RULE!!!
Some good ones mentioned for sure. I have all 3 seasons of Kung Fu that have been released to dvd.
I would add (and surprised to find not mentioned yet) The Three Stooges, Bonanza, and Fantasy Island. Wonder Woman should get special mention for obvious reasons. LOL

GlenD
I think you can make a strong case for All in the Family. I'm glad I lived in a pre-PC world that permitted its airing; it wouldn't stand a chance today.
The Munsters and F Troop.
[quote]
On 2007-12-03 12:31, LobowolfXXX wrote:
I think you can make a strong case for All in the Family. I'm glad I lived in a pre-PC world that permitted its airing; it wouldn't stand a chance today.
[/quote]

It's in re-runs here in Canada still. It had vanished for a while because of the PC movement which was silly when you see what the show is really about. Many misunderstand it as a racist show but its really about the ignorance of bigotry. Probably one of the best written shows on television ever.

Best,

Tim
I was always partial to the original series of "The Fugitive" and "Mission Impossible." The Fugitive sparked a bit of humanity in my dealings with people as a police officer - I felt it was as much my obligation to find proof of innocence as well as guilt - largely because of that series, I think. The ludicrous plots of the early Mission Impossible series taught deductive reasoning as I tried to unravel the plot twists before the end of each show.

Kung Fu taught some very basics truths in life that I still remember to this day. Thank goodness for the Grasshoppah and the lessons that we learned together. But then, I was a rabid fan of "The Prisoner" too.

The there were the lessons of justice, integrity, humility, family unity, community support and plain old common humanity taught by Pa Cartwright and his boys on "Bonanza." Visiting Virginia City and the Ponderosa Ranch at Lake Tahoe are very memorable points in my life.

Tough call!!!
[quote]
On 2007-12-03 13:02, Timothy Drake wrote:
Many misunderstand it as a racist show but its really about the ignorance of bigotry. Probably one of the best written shows on television ever.

Best,

Tim
[/quote]

Wanted to post this but lost the ability to edit by the time I found it. Here is one of my favorite clips and one of the most famous. Enjoy! http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=RL9eWbgCCog

Best,

Tim
Fawlty Towers and Frasier.
[quote]
On 2007-12-02 16:26, Timothy Drake wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]

It was very good but the whole premise was that you went along with the ride mainly to find out what was really going on and who was behind everything. The series finale was something out of "Twin Peaks" and made no sense at all to me. I don't think it ever really explained who was behind the plot to keep him on the island. I was a kid when I watched so maybe he ending was just to twisted for me.

Best,

Tim
[/quote]

I think part of its charm is it was probably written as it unfolded off the cuff, the ending was excellent I think. Especially when No 1 is finally revealed and the Beatles kick in, won't say more for fear of spoiling it. But its well worth checking out for all those who like myself were not born the first time round.

I think the ending is kind of spiritual / philosophical really, and very much in keeping with the tide that was sweeping the young people of the day. It is very English though, and some of it perhaps does not translate too well to Americanese.

Would also cast a vote for Dr. Who, at its best it is still excellent sci fi satire.
I also loved Kung Fu as a kid, though I haven't seen it since then.

Worzel Gummidge (first two series) also stands the test of time.

Corona.
Fawlty Towers,Scrubs and The Wonder Years :)
The Honeymooners, The Judy Garland Show, I Love Lucy, Seinfeld, The Simpsons, My So-Called Life, The Defenders

Guilty pleasures: Perry Mason, Columbo
Cant forget Monty Python And The Flying Circus!
[quote]
On 2007-12-03 15:16, landmark wrote:
The Honeymooners, The Judy Garland Show, I Love Lucy, Seinfeld, The Simpsons, My So-Called Life, The Defenders

[/quote]

You freely admit to liking My-So-Called Life but call Perry Mason and Columbo "guilty pleasures"?

Hard to argue against the Simpsons and Fawlty Towers and the like, but I'd throw "The Bob Newhart Show" in the mix.
Married with children
[quote]
On 2007-12-03 16:04, Vandy Grift wrote:
[quote]
On 2007-12-03 15:16, landmark wrote:

[/quote]

You freely admit to liking My-So-Called Life but call Perry Mason and Columbo "guilty pleasures"?

Hard to argue against the Simpsons and Fawlty Towers and the like, but I'd throw "The Bob Newhart Show" in the mix.
[/quote]

In Landmark's defense (re: My So-Called Life), Claire Daines is an outstanding actress, and as near as I can tell, always has been. Ditto on Newhard.
[quote]
In Landmark's defense (re: My So-Called Life), Claire Daines is an outstanding actress, and as near as I can tell, always has been. Ditto on Newhard.
[/quote]

I was just (half) kidding Landmark. We're really just naming some of our favorite shows. It would be difficult to include a show that only ran one season on a list of all time greats no matter the quality of the show. I always thought of My So Called Life as kind a punchline. I remember making remarks at the time about that "So Called TV Show". But I understand it had it's fans and recieved some critical acclaim.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TfdA9fWb_g

Prisoner teaser.
The Prisoner, for sure.
Faulty Towers, HI-LA-RI-OUS... I also really enjoy the Simpsons.

Mitchell
Barney Miller. Great cast, great writing.
Benny Hill
Benny Hill was very funny.
Don't forget Taxi.
Only Fools and Horses
GBH
Rentaghost
The characters on 'Taxi' were hilarious. Great show.
I can't decide. Flights of the conchords sums up every satire show ever made recently. It's very very good. Lost is brilliant as is 24, Heroes, Prison Break and Supernatural is pretty good too. Cartoon Planet/Brak show, sponge bob squarepants are all amazing cartoons. Reno 911 is ace. TV has made some great great stuff recently. I watch lots of tv shows, all amazing in there own way. Can't choose.

We don't like taxi cause Kaufman hated it. Clifton more so.
The Avengers with Patrick MacNee and Linda Thorson, and most of the LWT offerings.
Bill
Dr. Who, Have Gun Will Travel. Ed Sullivan Show, WKRP in Cincinatti. Twilight Zone, Star Trek, Ernie Kovacks Show, just to name a few.
Sorry to sound anal, but a few people mentioned there favorite as 'Monkey Magic', but the program was just called 'Monkey': http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monkey_%28TV_series%29

For me, Flight of the Conchords or Hustle.

Fauna
That did sound very anal.
I can't believe no one has yet mentioned ...

ALF!

Carrie
I'm partial to this one myself:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=c3R_uhnby24
"Rocky And His Friends" aka "The Bullwinkle Show" aka "The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle and Friends". From 1959-1974, hands down the best TV fare ever.
[quote]
Does anybody else go back, umpty years later, to shows they found "awesome" in their youth, and viewing them again you wonder what you ever saw in this dreadful garbage?[/quote]

Way back when I first watched When Things Were Rotten as a youngster, I was just getting into Mel Brooks and thought that anything he did was hilarious. I saw it again several decades later and sat stonefaced... (His Robin Hood: Men in Tights movie was much better.) Others include the Time Tunnel, the Planet of the Apes TV show. On the other hand, Hawaii 50 and The Streets of San Francisco held up to time surprisingly well.

However, I have very fond memories of the old mystery series Ellery Queen. And for roll-on-the-floor comedy, very little comes up to Police Squad's level (Monty Python comes up to that level, but inconsistently).

I found most of Black Adder flawed, but the final series was almost perfect!

A guilty pleasure is the old Fox series, Parker Lewis Can't Loose.

But I'm not completely in love with the good ole days. In most of the 80s and 90s the networks were in love with bad sitcoms and (ugh!) reality television to the point where I was about to despair of good hour-long drama ever coming back, but the past several years have seen a pretty good crop of hour-long dramas such as the various HBO and Showtime series, Lost, House, and quite a few others.

Bill
[quote]

How could it be I never heard of it? Curious. From the article, it would seem that it ran in the States, and it also sounds like something that would attract a cult following, like Monty Python or Dr. Who or the Thunderbirds. (Yes, I have a complete set of Thunderbirds DVDs. Thunderbirds are GO!).

By the way, what about Dr. Who? Better than Kung Fu?
[/quote]

I liked Kung Fu, but I'd have to go with Dr. Who myself. The show could go in any direction from straight adventure to total camp.

Did you see the movie with Jason Scott Lee (I think it was called "Dragon - The Bruce Lee Story")? They showed that Bruce had actually developed "Kung Fu" as a vehicle for himself with the studios deciding an Asian actor couldn't carry a series on his own. I actually didn't mind the remake so much.

You would like The Prisoner, 19 episodes of mind bending craziness. Well, 17, the last two were just weird beyond weird! My favorite two would have to be the ones where he appeared to break the format of the show. "The Girl Who Was Death" has a "James Bond" feeling to it as Number Six is running around London trying to stop a mad scientist and his lovely if deadly daughter and the second one was "A Town Called Solitare" (I probably have that one wrong) where the entire story takes place in the old west. Number Six is a nameless drifter who used to be a lawman and won't tell anyone why he stopped.
The best episode of the best show:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=azFpK_QWJH4
Mandrake, I didn't see that Jason Scott Lee movie. We'll never know what really happened, of course. I am a HUGE Bruce Lee fan, but he was indeed wrong for the series. At least one studio executive I read about admitted that he couldn't even understand Bruce. And he had a point. "Why doesn't someone just take a gun and..BANG!..Settow it!?

The reason I picked Kung Fu is that I had just watched a couple of episodes. Again, it is not my favorite show of all time, but it *is* quite a remarkable piece of work, and it holds up today excellently. The main sign that it is over 30 years old is that most contemporary stuff is crap in comparison. The score alone is something they wouldn't do today. A real composer recording real music with themes and completely consonant with the show's content, performed by a real orchestra...wow! Must have cost a pretty penny. Today's shows generally don't come anywhere close to Kung Fu's musical standard--and that's just the music. (Well, I must admit that Deadwood's music is particularly well done. There's a dearth of good TV music, but it does exist.)

The costumes, sets, writing, production...all good. The temple sequences...done as flashbacks! Brilliant, especially for the early 1970s. The innovative idea of mixing slo-mo work into the action...again, Brilliant. The Zen stuff is thoughtful and provocative. The acting is sometimes standard 70s TV studio level, but the best of the group--Key Luke (Master Po) and Philip Ahn (Master Kan), not to mention Carradine himself--give performances that still impress and move us thirty years later.

Again, if one tries to be objective rather than saying "I loved that show", there are few shows up there in the same category.

Alf? I mean, Alf?

Carrie Sue, did you blow a fuse or something? Even if you loved it, and even if you are into puppets (like Doug), how can you possibly argue that Alf had quality writing, acting, set design, direction, musical score, etc.?

Alf?

I agree All in the Family was a great show. Again, it is my own fault that I didn't separate comedy and drama.

But...Alf?

Excuse me. I'm going to go shove a pencil up my right nostril as far as I can. Maybe it will help me to understand.

Jeff
[quote]

[/quote]
Just about any of the"Supermarionation" stuff put out by Gerry Anderson. The vehicles were the best things on the shows. I would have said "the inanimate objects" but the whole shows were made up of nothing but (except for close-ups of hands).
Back to the topic:
In addition to Doctor who I would also have to say that "Perry Mason", "Have Gun, Will Travel", the first season of "Lost in Space", the first season of "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea", "The Avengers"(Blackman, Rigg, Thorson take your pick), "All in the Family" and "Married: With Children" all fit in there as well.
"Monty Python and Benny Hill getting honorable mentions
Diana Rigg over Thorson by far for me.
CSI is a pretty good show too, very realistic, very factual, very bloody.

Gives me great ideas how to kill my neighbors and hopefully not be caught.
Wild Wild West anyone ? I always enjoyed the episodes.
"The Courtship of Eddie's Father"

Ok, maybe not.
[quote]
On 2007-12-05 12:00, landmark wrote:
Diana Rigg over Thorson by far for me.
[/quote]

Agreed
Am I right in thinking 'Married with Children' is an inferior remake of 'Til death do us part' an undisputed all time classic?
I don't think so.

"Married with children" was actually a pretty original comedy. I liked it.
[quote]
On 2007-12-05 13:44, GlenD wrote:
Wild Wild West anyone ?
[/quote]

I have VERY fond memories of the show...BUT...I don't think I've ever seen a single episode as an adult. Maybe it was good, maybe it wasn't. I haven't seen it since I was 8 or 9 years old.

(And I didn't see the movie with Will Smith, either.)

Here are the FIRST series I have a memory of (I am 44):

1. Batman
2. Twelve O'clock High
3. The Monroes

Strange list, I suppose.

Jeff
Corona, I think "Till Death Do us Part" was the basis for "All in the Family", which has already been discussed in this thread.

It is a general rule of the perversity of Hollywood that a successful British show--in spite of the common language--must be re-written for an American audience. And it is also a general rule that the copy sucks.

Now, I have never seen "Till Death Do Us Part". Maybe it is BRILLIANT! But the American copy--All in the Family--does NOT suck. It is also BRILLIANT!

Maybe there is another thread here: American copies of British shows which do not suck. But it might be a short thread. Very short.

Nevertheless, All in the Family is definitely one of the highest quality shows ever to appear on American television.

Unless you think "Alf" is better.

Alf.

I'm going to bed. Goodnight. I love you all.

Jeff
Green Acres
I vote for the HONEYMOONERS all the way ....... !
[quote]
On 2007-12-05 10:37, stoneunhinged wrote:
Mandrake, I didn't see that Jason Scott Lee movie. We'll never know what really happened, of course. I am a HUGE Bruce Lee fan, but he was indeed wrong for the series. At least one studio executive I read about admitted that he couldn't even understand Bruce. And he had a point. "Why doesn't someone just take a gun and..BANG!..Settow it!?
[/quote]

He (Bruce) was quoted once as saying the main reason he got the role of Kato in "The Green Hornet" was because he was the only Asian actor in Hollywood who could say the lead character's name; Britt Reid!

Going off on a tangent! The Green Hornet is (believe it or not) related to another famous radio-era hero. They never met. They lived in two different areas and times, but none the less, the same production staff created each show and arranged that the two of them were related. Do you know who the other character is and what the relationship was?
[quote]
On 2007-12-05 13:44, GlenD wrote:
Wild Wild West anyone ? I always enjoyed the episodes.
[/quote] Yeah, his show was among the first ever to show traditional Martial Arts. Robert Conrad had a background in boxing & traditional gi arts, and his art of choice in later life was Judo and other CQG (Close Quarter Grappling) styles. It was this show (as well as Kung Fu the series) that sparked my interest in The Martial Arts. So I agree GlenD, "Wild Wild West" was my favorite T.V. series along with the short-lived "Green Hornet" and "Kung Fu" series.
Cardamagically,
Dom
:) :bwink:
Have Gun Will Travel. IMO Palidin (Richard Boone) was the first superhero on TV and he was very exciting to watch. I've watched the series on Netflix and you'll see great scripts by the likes of Gene Roddenberry and see now famous actors and actresses before they were known. Its from the 50s and in black and white but the stories still hold up and it's superior to what is sold to us as entertainment today.

BJ
I gave up on television. I'm listening to old radio shows instead. I'm so retro.
Come on, everybody - SING!

"Have Gun, Will Travel reads the card of a man...."
M*A*S*H

The cast was as close to perfect as any TV show has ever been. It addressed a lot of sticky issues without being offensive. The cast replacements were generally better than the originals. They also knew to quit while on top.

Regardless of the time period it was set in, it is still relevant today.
I rarely got to watch "The Wild, Wild West" as a kid...Dad liked to watch "The Virginian" and it was on at the same time. I watched later reruns in the 70's and will still watch 'em today. The series has generally held up well and the episodes with Miguelito Loveless are classic.

Dittoes on "The Prisoner," TZ (when it hits, it's still top dead center - ticket to Willoughby, anyone?). What, no props for "Northern Exposure," "Nightstalker (70s)," "Love, American Style" "The Sonny & Cher Show," "Hot'l Baltimore," "Soap,"
"Dark Shadows," the entire Cannell opus ("I PITY the fool..."). Did....SUUUUMMMM-one....MENT-SHHHHHUNN....T...A....X...I?

Some of the more sappy shows deserve a mention for, perhaps, other than artistic merit. "The Courtship Of Eddie's Father" and "Julia's Child" besides being favs featured non-white actresses in pivotal roles long before anyone had heard of the Huxtables or "diversity" -- and this in the midst of an era of American racial upheaval.

And for the love of Pete, why has no one mentioned "Hee Haw?" Oh. Yeah. Sorry I brought it up...
So, Jeff, is there anything worth watching on German TV? I can't think of a single show that made it into syndication here. OTOH, about all we get I almost all of US television, our own hokey series, a handful of the best from the UK and the occasional bit from Australia. (And a bit from France, but only in French).

John
I saw some reruns of "Hogan's Heroes" and "Gomer Pyle" in Germa...no, it was Switzerland, on a visit back in 1992. They were dubbed into German, naturally. You could tell that when the characters in "Hogan's..." said, "Heil Hitler" they dubbed in something else.
Kolchak the Night Stalker.

Probbaly the reason I got into magic.

And seersucker suits.

R
Carl Sagan's "Cosmos" which aired on PBS stations in the 1980s.
Anyone remember Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman?
I loved the movie, "The Night Stalker", but never cared for the series for some reason.

Darren McGavin was great - anyone remember seeing him as the drill instructor in "Tribes", opposite Jan Michael Vincent?
[quote]
On 2007-12-05 18:00, stoneunhinged wrote:
Corona, I think "Till Death Do us Part" was the basis for "All in the Family", which has already been discussed in this thread.

It is a general rule of the perversity of Hollywood that a successful British show--in spite of the common language--must be re-written for an American audience. And it is also a general rule that the copy sucks.

Now, I have never seen "Till Death Do Us Part". Maybe it is BRILLIANT! But the American copy--All in the Family--does NOT suck. It is also BRILLIANT!

Maybe there is another thread here: American copies of British shows which do not suck. But it might be a short thread. Very short.

[/quote]

The other one would be "Three's Company" which was a remake of "Man of the House."

Then there's the American remake of "Red Dwarf" where they tried to make Lister a likable beach bum.

Apparently there was an American version of "Fawlty Towers" that failed because John Cleese tells the story of being at a party and having a Hollywood producer tell him they were going to make the American version of "Fawlty Towers." Cleese responded that it had already been made and had failed. The producer said; (I'm not kidding) "We know. And we know what they did wrong. We're going to write out the character of Basil!" (blink blink)

And I saw that one! It had Bea Arthur as the head of the inn with Manuel and Polly. So they tried to combine the sensible wife and the cranky innkeeper and I think they lasted six weeks!

[quote]
On 2007-12-07 08:42, Mark Raven wrote:
I gave up on television. I'm listening to old radio shows instead. I'm so retro.
[/quote]

I once ate ten boxes of Corn Flakes to get a set of "Superman" radio episodes on a set of records. I was stunned at how bad it was. At one point "Clark Kent" introduces himself to a group of people, then, getting the information he needs runs off an flys away!
[quote]
On 2007-12-07 12:23, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
So, Jeff, is there anything worth watching on German TV?
[/quote]

Well, there is a long running series called "Tatort" (which means "scene of the crime") which when it is good is very VERY good. It is some of the best television I have ever seen. It's a detective series, but based in different cities with different detectives (in Germany AND Austria) so there is a strange kind of continuity: Hamburg episodes have Hamburg detectives; Munich episodes have Munich detectives; and Vienna episodes have Vienna detectives. This means that in addition to the Hollywood-style "each episode has a different writer and a different director" there is also a "in Hamburg the star detective is A, and in Munich the star detective is B." The result is that the show is very uneven. If you like the Vienna detectives, you might not like the Hamburg detectives. And the writing and direction is also different. As I said, sometimes "Tatort" is some of the best television I have ever seen. But sometimes it is crap.

I'm also a fan of a show called "Wetten Das..." (which means, "bet that..."). It's basically a variety show: interviews with celebrities, a bit of music, a bit of fun with the live audience. But the core of the show is that normal Joes bet that they can do something unusual--say, they can lick twenty pages of construction paper and tell you what color it is--and the celebrities make a counter-bet--say, if he can do THAT I'll lick the boots of Thomas Gottschalk.

Great show.

Thomas Gottschalk, by the way, is perhaps the single biggest celebrity in Germany. He has long, golden curls, like...one of the Frenches.

But in general I no longer watch television. I only watch DVDs. Which means that while I watch some old series like...well, Kung Fu or Fawlty Towers or whatever...I hardly watch what is being broadcast these days. So I'm no expert on German television.

Jeff
I vote for Jerry Springer and Family Guy!!!!!!!
The Fugitive

David
Hill Street Blues, Homicide: life on the street, Mr. Wizard, Pinky Lee, Gerald McBoingBoing, NYPD
You guys are killin' me! LOL
So many that were favs to me.

Wild, Wild West was great to watch when stoned.

The mention of Bruce Lee brings the TV show 'Longstreet' to mind where Lee was in a few episodes.
I liked "The Millionare" too. Remember that one?

My favorite horror shows were
"My Mother the Car", "The Ghost and Mrs. Muir", "Please Don't Eat the Daisies".
Scary that they were even on TV.
The best thing ever to hit the screen:

TWIN PEAKS

Café and pie were never the same again :)

I love the characters, the scripts the mistery, everything!

Lynch is a genius and Dale Copper the Best Character ever in TV-History!

Over and Out!
New shoes.
Message: Posted by: Gilgamesh_The_Librarian (Dec 18, 2007 05:07AM)
Deadwood for me...gritty and harsh but uplifting with some great performances.

Although I always liked Kung Fu I never really reconciled with somebody going out and preaching piece and harmony and being at one with the universe, and then kicking the crap out of somebody at the end of every show.
Twin Peaks, the Wonder Years, Happy Days and Lost.
The extremes touch, don't they ?
SCRUBS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ian said Pinky Lee, I will never forget the time that Pinkey Lee had a heart attack and fell to the floor clutching his chest live on the air for the little kiddies.

I liked AB FAB, Brideshead revisited, AB FAB, Seinfeld, and AB FAB
Would you believe Get Smart! Also MASH, All In The Family, Taxi and The Odd Couple. Oscar, Oscar, Oscar.
Frasier.
Can it be that [i]nobody[/i] has mentioned Arrested Development? Shame on you.
Twin Peaks.

Waaaaay ahead of it's time.
True story. I'm in my apartment watching the last episode (I think it was the last one) of Twin Peaks, it is dark, the lights are off and the dwarf is dancing with a strobe light on. A very loud knock comes to my door and I open it up and as I stand there, strobe going and dwarf talking backward, I am face to face with two police officers. They look at me, look at each other, look back at me.... one finally says "uh... do you have an angry black guy in there?" I told them no, just an angry white wife, they looked at me a bit longer then left, with my Twin Peaks strobe and backward dwarf going at full volume.
I love DEXTER. Not the best tv series ever, but if you haven't seen it, go watch it!
I did not read all the posts. So I ma sure someone posted this already. Star Trek, the original.
[quote]
On 2008-01-03 02:25, Tim Ellis wrote:
Twin Peaks.

Waaaaay ahead of it's time.
[/quote]

Tooooooooo Faaaarrrrrrr if you ask me. LOL I hope I'm dead before television ever catches up with it. ( loved the Simpsons spoof though) http://en.sevenload.com/videos/RQiaP4E/Twin-Peaks-in-The-Simpsons-Wiggums-Dream

Best,

Tim
I'll always remember the first episode of Twin Peaks when the father got the phone call his daughter's body had been found. David Lynch just had a long, lingering shot that followed the phone cord from the phone to the handset. That shot seemed to go on forever. In a time when TV was fast-paced, to spend that long showing nothing but a curly phone cord was pretty brave and very effective.

I should have specified though... first season only. They really should have wrapped it up then.
I've never watched twin peaks...I'm tempted to go get it now.

I love House M.D.
What's TV?
If you like bizarre TV that is twisted then you'll love Twin Peaks.
Seinfeld and Oz
Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom! Remember that one?

GlenD
"Despite the aggressiveness of the three-toed cougar, she ensures the success of her babies in getting enough food to eat. With Mutual of Omaha Insurance you can insure that your children . . ."
Looney Tunes
Dear Stoneunhinged.

At the risk of incuring your wrath, I do happen to agree with Silvertongue that 'Monkey Magic' was indeed something delicate,beautiful and precious.Just consider the following and I am sure that you will humbly agree with me on this important issue.If you saw the series I am sure that you would immediately covert to Buddhism.

-A beautiful female actress played the role of a male buddhist monk who had the silly name of "Trippytarka" (which sounds like a rather clumsy otter),
-Monkey was indeed irrespressible and certainly the equal sage of heaven,
-He did know every magic under the sun. For example he could produce six foot bo staffs from behind his ears (can you do that?)
-He used to fly about on a fluffy pink cloud which even had a built-in exhaust! (The baddies only had grey clouds because they were bad.)
-He was also a skilled ventriloquist and what is more his verbalisation tended to exist in space/time a good second or two behind his mouthing.
-He used to do a very good magic 'liking rings' routine until one of the rings got stuck on his head causing his a lot of pain,
-We may sometimes feel ****ed off with God but Monkey actually ****ed on the hand of God and did it with his usual style,
-Cain used to visualise Monkey as a Boddhissatva during his secret vajrayana sessions,

I rest my case.

Andy.
That was great, Mr. Landmark!
I've just got season one of twin peaks...will start the dvd later!

I hope I like it, I love twisted things.
It doesn't get much twisted....I'm looking forward to what you think.
I really liked Quantum Leap
don't forget Melrose Place
and 90210
take that ya old farts lol just kidding but at least were closer with the times
John
Arrested Development.. most amazing show ever
Is Arrested Development that one with the bald guy who worked on Seinfield? I saw a marathone one stormy day of it if it is and liked it. I'm glad to see Johnie Blaze is in touch with his femanine side, he even uses the 'ie' at the end of his name, very sweet. I've never seen Melrose Place or 90210
[quote]
On 2008-01-08 20:55, MagicSanta wrote:
Is Arrested Development that one with the bald guy who worked on Seinfield? I saw a marathone one stormy day of it if it is and liked it. I'm glad to see Johnie Blaze is in touch with his femanine side, he even uses the 'ie' at the end of his name, very sweet. I've never seen Melrose Place or 90210
[/quote]Ehh..I'm inclined to say no.

The show with Michael Cera, Jason Bateman (both in Juno), Will Arnett and others

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0367279/
West Wing
I've no idea what Arrested Development is, other than a soul group by that name years ago.
Ok, just watched the pilot of twin peaks.

Don't shoot me, but I found it utterly boring. Too slow paced for my liking. Nothing kept me interested, very shallow acting, and Cooper just seems to 2-d to be an interesting weird person.

But I'm going to stick it out, I'm sure it will build. It looks so dated considering its 1990, looks early 80's!

I've been reading about how nothing is how it seems in Twin Peeks, so I'm looking forward to seeing how it all pans out, and hopefully I'll be fan by the end of it.

M:C
The Honeymooners. :devilish:
Matt, it gets freakier.
I hope so, just watched the first episode after the pilot, I'm not finding it twisted or wierd! But then again, I don't find much twisted or wierd!
[quote]
On 2008-01-10 14:06, Matt Colman wrote:
I hope so, just watched the first episode after the pilot, I'm not finding it twisted or wierd! But then again, I don't find much twisted or wierd!
[/quote]

I wonder if you will find it engaging. It was cutting edge some 17 years ago. It might seem simply odd today.

John
Lol the opening credits are soooo bad. :)

[quote]
On 2008-01-08 20:55, MagicSanta wrote:
Is Arrested Development that one with the bald guy who worked on Seinfield?
[/quote]
I think you are thinking of Larry David and his show Curb Your Enthusiasm.

I often get the names of the two shows confused myself.

Anyway, Arrested Development is a funny show, though I've only seen a few episodes in reruns. And it does have a magician on it, which should count for something.
Theres money in bananas!
Yes, there is money in bananas baby! Thank you Balducci, Larry Davids show is the one I saw. I am so whacked out I can't remember what is on on what days so I've never seen Sopranos or any other cable series unless there is a marathon and I'm home.
Star Trek (yes, and TNG I suppose!)
Space: 1999
Stargate
Mission: Impossible
The Waltons
Night Court

For total camp delight, a three-way-tie between

(Original) Batman/Knight Rider/The A-Team

EDIT: Walloping Websnappers! Almost forgot the original animated Spider-man!!!!

Sean
Red Skelton Hour
The Invisible Man (British series; early 60s)
Mission Impossible
M*A*S*H*
The Avengers (Diana Rigg era)
Ed Sullivan Show
Night Gallery
The Green Hornet
Dennis the Menace
The Muppet Show
Boris Karloff's Thriller
Alfred Hitchcock Presents
Outer Limits
Twilight Zone
Johnny Quest
Saved by the bell.. that one had a magician as well one Ed Alonzo
Dick Van Dyke was also one of my favs
[quote]
On 2008-01-10 18:24, balducci wrote:

Anyway, Arrested Development is a funny show, though I've only seen a few episodes in reruns. And it does have a magician on it, which should count for something.
[/quote]
I started watching Arrested Development from Season 1 Episode 1 (gotta love the interweb) after posting my earlier message. I must say that the show makes more sense if you watch it from the start.

The magician brother is pretty good. I mean, he's a bad magician and his character is a jerk and reinforces all sorts of negative preconceptions the average person has about magicians, but still the writing is dead on. The 'Gothic Castle', magicians in the audience playing with cards, the 'Alliance of Magicians', the politics of magic, the infighting, and exposure. Someone knew what they were writing about.
Message: Posted by: Gilgamesh_The_Librarian (Jan 15, 2008 04:55PM)
[quote]
On 2008-01-10 17:58, Matt Colman wrote:
Lol the opening credits are soooo bad. :)

[/quote]

Lynch's big thing was how normal American life was on the surface but dig down a bit and....as you get into this series things will get serioulsy weird. If I remember correctly David Duchovny (X-Files) plays a transvetite FBI agent in Season 2 of Twin Peaks.

Oh just remembered another old favorite TV show, it used to appear on the BBC in the UK in the Waltons slot when that wasn't running and it was Alias Smith & Jones :

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Os5K2fQEzUM&feature=related
Just finished season 1 of Twin Peaks, really enjoyed it actually. Liking Cooper more, cried tonnes at the end (ok maybe a tear) Hoping season two will be just as good. The weirdest thing I found was Joan used her blood as lipstick.

Heard about Duchovy in a dress, sounds great.
Matt....it gets weirder.....
Yay!
I would have to say 'Alias'

I could be biased, but it was a great show.
Hogan's heros!

I know nothing!!! NOTHING!
Scrubs
Personnally I think 24 is the best program ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dan
I didn't read the whole list but my vote goes to;

The Odd Couple

and

The Honeymooners.
Whoops, forgot to add:

Taxi

Barney Miller

Soap
Law and order SVU!!!
Star Trek (the original version with Spock)
Invisible Man (the version starring David McCallum)
The Outer Limits (the 1960s version)
Manimal (At first glance, this series sounds too preposterous about a man who can transform his body into any animal, but it was done realistically. Basically a superhero-type series, except he did not wear any garish costume.)
OHhh...this is one that'll get ALOT of different favorites...and all GREAT!!!

I grew up with "50's and 60"s" tv and have just wonderful memories of so, so, many shows and series.

Recently found a DVD in a "dollar store" for $3 (almost wanted to tell 'em I'd have paid $20 for it) and it has 65 different TV show themes...just listened to it in the car today and from the "Honeymooners" to "Gomer Pyle USMC" to "My Mother the Car" (a 1928 Porter!) to "Under Dog" and on 'n on...well seeing these posts...there's just so many great shows!!

Gotta say I've always loved the Andy Griffith Show...I know the lines fron every episode...even went on a TAGS (The Andy Griffith Show) tour in Hollywodd back in 2001...we all went to where "Opie" throws the rock in at the beginning of each show (this is Franklin Canyon...just above the city of LA!!)...is all weeds now where the water used to be...and even had lunch with Rance and Clint Howard (that's Ron's dad and brother...I even did magic for 'em!!) visited Howard McNear's house ("Floyd the barber")...it's just down the street from the house they used for the Brady Bunch (exteriors)!!

Ohhh what memories!! HOPE we do another "TAGS Tour" sometime...or anything that takes me to where they actually shot vintage TV sceens (got to see the "Bat Cave" from the TV "batman" show also! and lots more!).

Hope everybody will keep posting about this...each post will bring back memories for others...Hope I have also!!
Well, since no one else mentioned them, two British comedies should be required watching; The Two Ronnies, and The Good Life (called Good Neighbors in the U.S.).
Both are so entertaining that I would stop whatever I was doing if they were on - the old days when if you missed it you couldn't tape it cuz no one had vcrs.
The Honeymooners, Star Trek, the first Kung Fu, Frasier, Family Guy, Futurama, The "Peanuts" specials, Hollywood - the Pioneers.
HEROES
"Billy Liar" starring Jeff Rawle. Wonderfully amusing.
Fun thread.

All time best - you can not pass up an episode if it is on...

MASH
Andy Grffith
All In The Family
The Flintstones
The Muppet Show
Cheers
Seinfeld
Arrested Development

Simpsons don't count cause they are still running...
[quote]
On 2007-12-03 18:21, housermagic wrote:
The Avengers with Patrick MacNee and Linda Thorson, and most of the LWT offerings.
Bill
[/quote]
The Avengers with Patrick MacNee and Diana Rigg
Nearly Finished season 2! I'm a big fan!
[quote]
On 2008-02-29 23:49, ringmaster wrote:
[quote]
On 2007-12-03 18:21, housermagic wrote:
Bill
[/quote]
The Avengers with Patrick MacNee and Diana Rigg
[/quote]

I agree. Nothing against Linda Thornson, who was a fine actress, but her season seriously constituted; "jumping the shark."
[quote]
On 2008-01-10 20:36, Johnnie Blaze wrote:
Saved by the bell.. that one had a magician as well one Ed Alonzo
[/quote]

I am sure all Save by the Bell fans will enjoy the clip on this page:

http://tv.yahoo.com/blog/saved-by-the-bell-returns-zack-morris-meets-jimmy-fallon--395

It's very good
The Odd Couple also very quotable (all time favorite)
Fernwood Tonight
MASH
Monty Python
Okay! I'm adding Bones and NCIS to the list of best series.
Santa, my missus loves Bones!

The only one I can add that hasn't been mentioned before, although short and sweet, is the original version of "The Office".
The Rifleman
I've got so many on my list I could go on and on. A bunch have already been mentioned: The Honeymooners (some of the greatest one-liners ever), The Andy Griffith Show (it never seemed like they were acting... it was like a documentary of that small town, The Twilight Zone (C'mon, Rod Serling! The guy was a genius), The Prisoner (They still have clubs to this day that try to figure out all the clues), The Dick Van Dyke Show (probably the template for all good sitcoms), MASH (Funny stuff set in a war and during operations... can never forget Hawkeye's answer to "What book would you bring if you were stuck on a deserted island." His answer, "The dictionary. I figure it has all the other books in it.")

Just too many to stop and make a list. There's one that I haven't seen mentioned: Green Acres. Talk about way ahead of its time. They broke the fourth wall constantly. They made references to the credits rolling on the screen. I think those writer were using the best of drugs for those times.

Greg
The Honeymooners.

Gunsmoke.

Fawlty Towers.

Keeping Up Apperearances.

Seinfeld.

Cheers.
Homicide, hands down.

Profit (the obscure, cancelled-before-it-hit-its-stride, creepy-corporate-eighties show with Adrian Pasdar way before Heroes as an anti-hero-who-sleeps-in-a-cardboard-box-because-he-was-raised-in-one)...

Yup.
Firefly. There's no contest. Firefly.
Ensemble cast. Fantastic dialougue. Great action. Cowbays, Pirates, Spacemen, Geniuses. That show had everything.
Seinfeld
Red Dwarf (British Sci-Fi Comedy), CSI, and Family Guy are all great shows too.
As was MacGuyver, Incredible Hulk, original Star Trek, and Kung Fu.
None of them are as good as Firefly though.
Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman
The Defenders
Seinfeld
Twilight Zone
Honeymooners
Roseanne
Family Ties
Smothers Brothers
I Love Lucy
Greatest series? Taxi! Because of the chemistry between the greedy Louis Depalma (Danny Devito) and the ever stoned Jim Ignakowski (Christopher Lyoyd.) Plus, Andy Kaufman's presence didn't hurt either!
Bleu Nuit (anyone living in and around Quebec will know this series LOL!)
[quote]
On 2007-12-02 13:08, stoneunhinged wrote:
some real contenders, like...the Waltons
[/quote]

The Waltons- brilliant, definitely!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYyIPbPAQ2Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwRhRLsbRLM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWwHf-NxBkQ
And from one of my very favorite episodes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jp1fRFnTHIQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ih-kLwwKBno
Amos and Andy. Hands down the funniest cast/show ever.

(available on the web)
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncTfioXvsKo] The Stray[/url]
I was looking for this thread or one like it the other day. Thanks for digging it up.

I recently watched, over the span of a few weeks, all the seasons of "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia". I'm sure it is not the best series in the history of television, but it is a relatively undiscovered little jewel of a comedy. Rip roaring hilarious in places. As someone else put it, it is like Seinfeld on crack.

I'll add that "Breaking Bad" is a very good drama, worth checking out.
Hey, you're welcome, balducci.
-Are You Being Served?-
-Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em-
-On The Buses-
-Fawlty Towers-
-Boys From The Blackstuff-
Message: Posted by: Johnny Butterfield (Sep 2, 2010 12:00AM)
-The Mary Tyler Moore show
-The Larry Sanders show
-I Love Lucy
-Monday Night Football with Howard Cosell and Dandy Don Meredith. Especially if it was a blowout game, and they were drunk by the third quarter.
After reading through the thread again, and considering the criteria Jeff laid out, I am going to rescind my posting of the test pattern and say it's a toss-up between The Twilight Zone and Blackadder. Since Blackadder had the same cast, with 100+ year differences in the seasons, the characters were more-or-less the same, and thus it is the greatest series of all time.
Firefly.
Buffy The Vampire series was excellent. It wasn't really about Vampires ( It was about good vs. evil ). It was very funny and also serious at times. It was about love, family, friendship, betrayal, loyalty, redemption, etc. Just like life is.
Firefly was a very interesting series. I watched all of it in two days, and was fascinated.

But I would argue that it was a mixed bag, not a masterpiece. There was something experimental about it that I deeply respect ("Cowboys, Pirates, Spacemen, Geniuses. That show had everything."), but I don't think such an eclectic mix always worked. It did on the entertainment level, but not on the level of "art" (whatever that is....) Of course, if nothing else, it introduced me to Christina Hendricks, and that has been a double gift.

It's been three years since I started the thread, but I can still recall that I was thinking in different terms than most of the other posters. I was really looking for something like, "What's the Citizen Kane of TV series?" If a TV series can be art, which series has achieved the highest quality by making maximum use of the medium?

It also surprises me that (unless I somehow stupidly missed it) no one mentioned The Sopranos. I had not seen the Sopranos three years ago. But my parents gave me the whole series as a gift and I watched it non-stop (like I did Firefly; but it took me three weeks instead of two days) and was very impressed, to say the least. Yes, the last season stretched it too far. But so did Kung Fu. And the finale was exceedingly provocative as a self-reflecting statement regarding the nature of a television series (it just simply ends), yet also exceedingly disappointing. But the finale of Kung Fu is just plain stupid. Caine takes a bow and exits stage right. What genius thought that up? The Sopranos didn't have its own original score, but utmost attention was paid to the music--brilliantly so. The writing, production values, acting, and story-lines were top notch. I would say that the Sopranos is a contender for the best TV drama series of all time.

What has not surprised me is the Café disease of "listing". If you go to the Worker's forum and ask a question like, "what ONE SINGLE BOOK would you want to have with you on a desert island?", people will write a list of 101 books. The same happened in this thread. Why are people so wishy-washy and indecisive? I say, "Kung Fu", Corona says, "The Prisoner", Laurie says "The Waltons", and Critter says, "Firefly". We are men. (Well, except for Laurie.) We are decisive. We may be wrong, but we have thought it through and staked our claims.

I never saw Buffy. Should I buy the DVDs?
[quote]
On 2007-12-07 06:16, ed rhodes wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]

He (Bruce) was quoted once as saying the main reason he got the role of Kato in "The Green Hornet" was because he was the only Asian actor in Hollywood who could say the lead character's name; Britt Reid!

Going off on a tangent! The Green Hornet is (believe it or not) related to another famous radio-era hero. They never met. They lived in two different areas and times, but none the less, the same production staff created each show and arranged that the two of them were related. Do you know who the other character is and what the relationship was?
[/quote]

WellKemo sahbee... I must admit that I am totally baffled... Perhaps I should ask my uncle...

And that is that!
[quote]
On 2010-09-02 07:00, stoneunhinged wrote:

I never saw Buffy. Should I buy the DVDs?
[/quote]

Buffy is surprisingly smart television. You should definitely try a couple of episodes.
I second Buffy. The spin-off, "Angel" plays in re-runs from start to finish over and over on TBS. I've lost track of how many times I've seen the series.
If anyone doesn't know, all of these shows are done by Joss Whedon, same guy who did "Firefly." He is also going to direct the superhero movie "The Avengers."
Awesome.
I thought Firefly was very artistic. One thing that stands out on this level is how River never wears shoes and touches the ship all the time to make sure it's real. That's frickin' genius!
I can't think of any element of the show that didn't work for me on an artistic level. From Mal's gun, to the languages, to the ship itself.
That's my case and I'm stickin' to it.
The Andy Griffith Show
[quote]
On 2010-09-02 10:38, Regan wrote:
The Andy Griffith Show
[/quote]

If we had to pick a most addictive theme song then this would be my vote.
In fact...
[quote]
On 2010-09-02 10:29, critter wrote:
I second Buffy. The spin-off, "Angel" plays in re-runs from start to finish over and over on TBS. I've lost track of how many times I've seen the series.
If anyone doesn't know, all of these shows are done by Joss Whedon, same guy who did "Firefly." He is also going to direct the superhero movie "The Avengers."
Awesome.
I thought Firefly was very artistic. One thing that stands out on this level is how River never wears shoes and touches the ship all the time to make sure it's real. That's frickin' genius!
I can't think of any element of the show that didn't work for me on an artistic level. From Mal's gun, to the languages, to the ship itself.
That's my case and I'm stickin' to it.
[/quote]

Joss Whedon is a cretaive genius.

The first episode of Angel is over the to fantastic. From the opening bar scene ( which fooled me ) to the end.
The Best?

By sheer franchising, not many can beat CSI...

There's CSI, CSI Miami, CSI New York... ;)

And collaborations in between them...
Just finished watching the entire run of Twin Peaks with my daughter; it was her first time through and my first since the series first aired.

The final episode gets my vote for the most powerful series ending.

It is still phenomenal television.

John
You know the scene where there is a strobe going off in the last episode? When it was originally on the police came to my apartment door, the place was dark except for the strobe and the odd music from the show.... I answer the door and they are met by me and the show and those two cops were very confused. Seemed they were looking for a fellow in the same apartment number but in the complex next door and I didn't look at all like the suspect. That strobe further had 'em freaking when I jumped out.
[quote]
On 2010-09-02 13:09, Pakar Ilusi wrote:
The Best?

By sheer franchising, not many can beat CSI...

There's CSI, CSI Miami, CSI New York... ;)

And collaborations in between them...
[/quote]

I've never been able to finish an episode of New York or Miami, but I loved the original when Grissom was still on it.
Wipeout.
Star Trek. The Next Generation.

-Mary Mowder
[quote]
On 2007-12-07 06:16, ed rhodes wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

The Lone Ranger, who was Britt's fathers uncle.
"Sanford and Son."

I know I'll get some flak for this, but... though dated now, the first season of "Miami Vice" was pretty good.

I used to like the British show, "UFO." I loved the mod silver mini skirts and the platinum or purple hair the women all had.

"The Young Ones" was pretty funny
[quote]
On 2011-01-20 02:27, Nom de Guerre wrote:

"The Young Ones" was pretty funny
[/quote]
I just heard about "The Young Ones" (the Britcom, right?) the other day, when I watched some anniversary special about "Father Ted". I'll have to check "The Young Ones" out.

Speaking of "Father Ted", it was also excellent.
Yes, that's the one. If you like Britcoms, it's definitely worth checking out, although I haven't seen it in many years.
Best Series is way too subjective, so there is no real answer to this question.

My Favorite Series:
Amos & Andy
The Honeymooner's
I Love Lucy
The Andy Griffith Show (the one's with Don Knotts)
The Twilight Zone
All In The Family
Columbo
Kung Fu
Mash
Married With Children (laugh at me if you like, I love this show)

My Favorite Mini Series:
Roots
Lonesome Dove
V

Favorite Weekly Shows:
The Ed Sullivan Show
The Tonight Show (Johnny Carson)

Iven :patty:
[quote]
On 2011-01-21 07:10, irossall wrote:
Best Series is way too subjective....
[/quote]

Actually, "best" is almost never subjective--just ill-defined. And I did try my best to continue to refine the definition, though perhaps unsuccessfully. Still, it might be interesting for some of you to go back and read the thread from the beginning.

For example, it becomes clear that I was thinking "best television drama", as comparing comedy to drama is a bit...well...subjective. :)

Another thing I tried to do is get us to consider a series as a whole--musical score, costumes, sets, stories, writing, acting, and continuity.

While subjectivity always enters the picture (otherwise we wouldn't have any discussion, would we?), I think that fairly objective judgments of quality can be made. A series like the Sopranos comes into the running because it showed excellence on all counts, whereas formula shows like Love Boat or Fantasy Island--shows I loved back in the day, and which fill me with nostalgia--could hardly be seriously considered as contenders.

Even one of my favorite all time shows--the original Star Trek--has serious flaws. The sets were poor bordering on ridiculous. It worked for me, especially many years later, because I absolutely love Sci-Fi kitsch aesthetic. But the fact is that the network just didn't put enough money into it to get the same quality of production as with a show like Kung Fu. I love Shatner and think of his acting fondly. But Kirk is no Tony Soprano. Not even close. Gandolfini brings something to the screen that Shatner doesn't.

Now, again I agree that there is an [i]element[/i] of subjectivity to what is [i]best[/i]. But so subjectivite that we can't even discuss it? Sorry, but I must politely and strenuously disagree. But if someone wants to argue for Baywatch, please go ahead. I'm listening.
Glad to see you posting in a bit more length, Jeff. Welcome back. Semester break?

John
Just the opposite, John. We're in the last two week stretch before exams. That means I sorta have to relax a bit to catch my wind before madness sets in. I'll be finished (more or less) with all my work for the semester by Valentine's Day.
[quote]On Dec 3, 2007, jaynet wrote:
Red dwarf, Black Adder RULE!!! [/quote]

Red Dwarf went on too long. I think the ending was labored.

Black Adder I, II and III were excellent. Black Adder IV (World War I) just didn't impress me.
Bewitched
Crazy Ex-Girlfriend
Family Ties
Nashville
Saturday Night Live
Veronica Mars -- one of the best shows for mentalists
The Avengers (Steed and Emma)

The Saint (Roger Moore)

The Wonder Years

The Wire

Justified
Today I would pick Avatar: The Last Airbender
I haven't read every word, but I don't believe anyone has mentioned the spy series of the seventies, Minder. It starred Edward Woodward, and was gritty and very well written. A masterpiece.

I also really enjoyed the original BBC version of Brideshead Revisited.
My favorite shows through the years were:
Dick Van Dyck
Mary Tyler Moore
MASH
Breaking Bad
Seinfeld
Bob Newhart
Cheers
Frazier
Better Call Saul
The Prisoner
The HoneyMooners
Twilight Zone
Law and Order
Can't beat these (filmed in glorious black and white, with superb writing, cinematography, directing and acting):

Naked City
Route 66
Peter Gunn
Twilight Zone
Alfred Hitchcock Presents
The Avengers (British)
The Fugitive
The Outer Limits
Kung Fu
Then Came Bronson

Paper Chase

Mad Men

Weeds
Message: Posted by: Daryl -the other brother (Jan 7, 2016 02:34PM)
Weeds was great for the first 3 seasons but after the fire it kinda jumped the shark for me.
Love all the oldies but I vote for "The Simpsons".
I vote a tie between South Park and Family Guy. Between the two of them, no one is left unoffended at least twice :-)
I forgot:

Barney Miller.
[quote]On Jan 8, 2016, karnak wrote:
I forgot:

Barney Miller. [/quote]
Who couldn't love the character "Fish" played by Abe Vigoda?
Like your thinking ...
King Fu with David Carradine broke all TV viewing when it appeared.
In my opinion it gave birth to martial arts in the UK.

To add to the thread of "best series" ...
for me, it would be
The complete New Series of the Twilight Zone