(Close Window)
Topic: Carry with you MOABT
I am looking for a clean and impressive Booktest.
So I make some researches in the Café. MOABT seems to be the one which most of you say: This is the one , you must have - if you perform serious(or so).
I do not know the secret and I do not want to reveal it here -
I have another point:
My native Language is German. I am traveling a lot in different countries for business.
I would like to perform this booktest in a more or less impromptu situation. Carrying the book with me. So I have following requests:
The book should be small- that I can carry it around anytime with me (like my outlaw wallet filled with business-cards)
It should be international accepted- Sorry guys that means not only English- (if I as a german- speak with an italian - about an english book- :dizzy: little bit spongebob)
It should have a simple explaining why I have this book with me- so no "Dracula" novelle in english.

I came up with this idea:
A small Translation book Example: German-English with the MOABT principle.

Sorry , for my long introductions, but I want to avoid misunderstandings.

Just want to know - if there is something out there which I could use.
(better / cleaner/ other principes/ sources ?) something I do not see ?
:comply:
[quote]
On 2007-12-04 14:41, spinki wrote:
I came up with this idea:
A small Translation book Example: German-English with the MOABT principle.

[/quote]

Not possible... You may want to look at "Freestyle booktest"
Warning: blatant advertising by me...

my booktest works in any language, it involves two participants, and works in any language at all...and you're not limited to a single word either...i think if you search for The Hateful Page, on here, there's been a few kind comments from people..

its a lulu download..

*end of blatant advertising*
[quote]
On 2007-12-04 17:14, abraxus wrote:
Warning: blatant advertising by me...

I think if you search for The Hateful Page, on here, there's been a few kind comments from people..

[/quote]

I don't care who you are, you gotta love that quote ! :)
Message: Posted by: Philemon Vanderbeck (Dec 4, 2007 06:09PM)
It's a little bold, but there is a way to use the original Flashback principle with a dictionary.
Since your native language is German, I would suggest you look to Ted Lesley's work if you have not already. While the MOABT principle could probably be put to use in your native language, it would not come from a direct translation of the MOABT book. Besides that, before you would do something like that, you should contact Ted Karmilovich since he is the creator of MOABT. The Freestyle Booktest is an excellent suggestion. The instructions are in english, but the book used is your own. Be warned, it requires some work from yourself before it is ready to perform. Good luck, I am sorry I could not offer more.
After an exhausting show, I sometimes leave my mother in my car which is in the garage. The garage keeps a pretty comfortable temperature. Even so, I sometimes miss my mother so much, her sitting out there all alone, I go out in my barefeet (or with socks on) and retrieve my mother. When my mother is safe and sound in her case, I feels much gooder. :bg:
Dear all, and really all,
thanks for all the information. THANKS
I have to do some research again.
-Ask Ted - look for freestyle- check ted lesley -
Do you know Ted Karmilovich nickname- I am sure he must be member of the Café. but could not find him.
But to be serious I really got a little bit confused and lost. There where also some post where they speak about the LWF principle- don't know what it is. Must be in the Banquet- but could not found it.

What would you do if you wanna adapt MOABT to your own book? Is it possible?
Again I highly highly highly appreciate your help
Might I suggest learning a test that can be done impromptu with ANY book?
Trickshop.com has a very inexpensive download for a DaVince Code booktest. However, the concept is easily adaptible to any book, and the book isn't gaffed at all. You could use any German book you wanted. Just a suggestion.
[quote]
On 2007-12-04 19:09, Philemon Vanderbeck wrote:
It's a little bold, but there is a way to use the original Flashback principle with a dictionary.
[/quote]

Isn't that the original way it was done Philemon? I mean before it was commercially released by Becker, or am I getting it confused with the Meyer dictionary version?
Bought and Download one second ago
the Davinci and the Hoy test
will read it now.
are there some sources of MOABT or the Flasback principe on ( e- )books?
kindly
spinki
Could not edit my post. So have to write a new one
I am looking for a non force method.
So, the person could freely choose the side.
Given him the line and the number of the word would be okay- of course better would be absolute everything freely.
I have an idea but do not know if I could post it here or in the inner thoughts area.

kindly
spinki
Message: Posted by: Philemon Vanderbeck (Dec 5, 2007 05:14PM)
[quote]
On 2007-12-05 15:57, mindyourmagic wrote:

Isn't that the original way it was done Philemon? I mean before it was commercially released by Becker, or am I getting it confused with the Meyer dictionary version?
[/quote]

I don't believe the original was done with a dictionary, but just a regular paperback where you wrote the gimmick in.
Spinki,
Due to the nature of your requirements, both Flashback and MOABT are excluded. However, the Flashback principle could be applied with some restrictions. The work of the routine is on a dvd that I have somewhere, but I do not remember which one. If someone remembers which one it is on, they may could pm you with the title. Your best bet is to either locate a routine that lends itself to an impromptu performance or come up with a routine and working that meets your needs. As for the working of MOABT, it really does not matter in your case because, while the principle may help, the actual trick that is sold will not help you any. Learn the principle. It can be learned, but you will have a difficult time prying the work from someone who paid for the routine. Search your sources and learn some of Annemann and Corinda's work regarding booktests. I recommend Test of the Tiber by Annemann. You can find it in the book "My Best". Good luck.
Dear Samuel,
to learn and adapt different principle is my main intention. Learn and understand , than adapt the principles for myself. MOABT must be greate and for my request not the right product. The principle and secret yes, but the ready product seems to be not fitting for me.
So, my search for my personal grail goes on.

our bane:
Finding the right effect- which fits for your request and style - which do not dissapoint you - which doesn't burn your money to get it - is more time-consuming than learning sleight of hand.

From magician to mentalism to readandburnmoneylism. :rotf:

yours spinki
There is a little effect out there called "Give Me The Finger."
It comes with a dictionary and a crib that is far too small for me to read, but the principle can be adapted. I have made my own version up with a different dictionary with much larger print. No reason that this could not work with any language dictionary.

I find Flashback a bit difficult to ready under low lighting conditions and have adapted the system so I can find the work easily. My system can be adapted to any language book using a small paperback novel.
More suggestions:

1. Use a non-gimmicked book sleight-of-hand method. Many of these are in print. Some recent sources include: The Artful Mentalism of Bob Casidy (or his DVD), Richard Osterlind's No Camera Tricks DVD, Richard Busch's Peek Performances.

2. Check out IBT from Josh Zandman which gives several wonderful variations to the classic Hoy. It is an ebook and you can find many references to it elsewhere in this forum.

3. Create your own Flashback-like book using the Peek-a-Book principle (attributed to Orville Meyer, Paul Curry and Dan Tong). Richard Mark offers a nice variation in his book Mind Warp.

4. Use the Isolation method a version of which appears on Banachek's PSI Series DVD #2.

5. There is also a magazine test on Max Maven's Nothing DVD which you might look into.

PM me if you need more details or references for any of these.

As for all of the "prepared" books you have mentioned, they are, alas, all extremely "prepared" and all in English.
Spinki - mine works in any language, any paperback at all, involves two people on stage, no stooging of any kind whatsoever...

you get a full script, and once you've learnt the simple premise, you can adapt it to diaries and notepads too...

I've even got a victorian occultist diary version that I use for any darker presentations/sets I do...(though that's not in the pdf)...
Abraxus,

Your "blatant advertising" plug is of little use if you don't mention the name of your product! I looked on LuLu but am not sure which one is yours? Is it AWAP? Inquiring minds would love to know. Thanks.
*cough* the hateful page *cough*

I think it was psychic turtle amongst others that said they liked it?!
This book is written in English but I imagine a translation would be possible. I think it would fit the bill as it is a travel book......Double Vision by Ecker & Bearl.

steve.
*cough* got you *cough* thanks *cough*
AWAP might be something to look at as well.
IMHO there are several obvious stand-outs for a book you can carry-around:

"Reflections" by Outlaw. Fits in your pocket, and there are three different tests. If they know you do mentalism, this is a book that makes sense to carry with you. Looks like true mindreading.

"Double Vision" by Becker and Earle (Ecker and Berle). It's a travel guide. This is probably closest to the translation guide you mentioned. It also has NUMEROUS and varied tests in one book.

For NO-prop, Josh Zandman's "Impromptu Book Test" can work with ANYONE'S books, and perhaps, more importantly for you, in ANY language. Brilliant advancement of Hoy.

One great alternative to an actual book, is Lee Earle's Silver Bullet Lite. It can be used with ANY book, and you can carry it with you in the smallest pocket. It's not a book, but a gimmick. I recommend this even if you DO buy a gaffed book test, to use in addition.
Sorry to say it sai, but a translation would not be possible with many of the current marketed books due to the nature of their workings. I think Double Vision would fit into this category. This does not mean the workings can't be adapted to another language. I just mean that someone would have to rewrite the entire text to fit the workings to fit the linguistics of another language. If you were going to do that, you may as well create a different type of book instead of making it the same as the english version.
[quote]
On 2007-12-06 01:47, spinki wrote:
Dear Samuel,
to learn and adapt different principle is my main intention. Learn and understand , than adapt the principles for myself. MOABT must be greate and for my request not the right product. The principle and secret yes, but the ready product seems to be not fitting for me.
So, my search for my personal grail goes on.

our bane:
Finding the right effect- which fits for your request and style - which do not dissapoint you - which doesn't burn your money to get it - is more time-consuming than learning sleight of hand.

From magician to mentalism to readandburnmoneylism. :rotf:

yours spinki
[/quote]

See if you can find a copy of my German lecture notes. The name is "My Way." Theo Boehm used to stock them. There is a book test in there that astounded the magicians at the 1992 Let's Go Magic convention in Berlin. Joro really likes it.

If you can't find it, PM me and I'll send you the test in English. It's very easy to do, fools people mightily and it can be done in any language.

Also, and this is the important thing, it looks like thoughtreading, not word guessing.
Listen to this man! He is the guru of booktests!!
Message: Posted by: Kaarlo von Freymann (Dec 16, 2007 08:07AM)
Hello Spinki,

Buy the book trick by "Choice and by Chance." I use its principle with Finnish, Swedish, German, French, Enlish and Italian book, any book is good, anual reports, civil and criminal law books, even the bible, even simultaniously, but for using many books at the same time you need the Maverick Magic "Slate of Mind" slate, which of course does not fit into your pocket. Doing it with the slate and many books is a stunning trick which requires some preparatory PC work though no memeory work, doing it with any one book needs only 20 minutes with a typewriter. Do not reveal the whole word at once but make it a letter by letter mental transfer, which somehow amazes people even more. Kaarlo von Freymann Helsinki Finland
I saw a performer this season using a paper back moabt. There seems to be a new product underground.
Maybe not a new product but an old one. MOAB was originally printed in paperback form.
I can't believe that not a single person mentioned Barrie Richardson's ACT TWO.
Make your own (semi) MOAB in any language.

Barrie has an extra effect/idea with this which is wonderful.

I don't agree that the principle is mythical, hard to pry etc.
An even cheaper resource for just the principle is
A Boon For All Seasons.

My advice is learn Marc Pauls idea...brilliant.
I have modified the positioning/handling
so it even fools me!

I was filmed at a gig last week and saw the footage
for this and it is invisible and can be done with any book.

Another option--the dictionary is a flashback book already (think bottom of page)
Also...buy Richard Marks Mind Warp and you can put together wonderful sequences for a booktest routine with any books.

I used this for years with a few bits and pieces from a Lee Fried booktest
published in MAGIC around 1990.

There is no reason you cannot put together a killer sequence with any books.
Or use Barrie's ideas to create your own book/magazine.

Cheers.
Tom