(Close Window)
Topic: Update on David Copperfield
All,

What is the latest news on his troubles?

BYUDAD
Well he has a Canadian tour coming up. only a few Ontario city's on the stop. they are all still a go.
Byudad,

What do you mean by troubles ? Did he had any special troubles in the last six months ?

Thanks.

Oliver.
I think he's referring to the FBI raid of his complex in LV. I doubt that anything was found to charge him with.
Does anyone know if he will be doing anything new or different than his last stop, he is coming to my city in january and I am thinking of going to see him, but I don't want to see the same show AGAIN
So far no charges and this is still being investigated still he is as you all should know innocent until proven guilty above that he has yet to be charged.
Im going to see him on New Years Eve in Las Vegas, I'll let you guys know what was in his show when I return. I assume its going to be the same effects as in the show for the past few years. Till then, MERRY CHRISTMAS! :o)

:cheers:
Merry christmas!

Does someone know if this or other magic shows goes on TV?
Does anyone know if his international tour dates are still a go?
He's slated to come to Ottawa in early January, and if my psychic abilities are correct, I'll be receiving tickets for the show this evening (Merry Christmas to me!).
Actually, the dates he was going to play in London (Canada) on Janurary 15th, were delayed til March 31st. I'm guessing all the other Canadian dates will be changed as well.
http://www.johnlabattcentre.com/calendar/012008-15.html#

Sam
Sam,

I don't think they will be changed. he is scheduled to be in T.O. the days before london. Tickets are already being sold for the Jan. venues.
Tour dates.

http://www.dcopperfield.com/
Limo driver has come forward, willing to testify if it goes to trial..

http://www.cinemablend.com/celebrity/Copperfield-Accused-Of-Attack-In-Canada-8067.html
A disgruntled employee wants to testify about how DC did not score with a womam he picked up? Why?

Maybe next we will hear that Webster the duck is writing a tell-all book too.
[quote]
On 2008-01-03 00:48, asianmagic wrote:
Limo driver has come forward, willing to testify if it goes to trial..

http://www.cinemablend.com/celebrity/Copperfield-Accused-Of-Attack-In-Canada-8067.html
[/quote]

Ridiculous -

1) The story is dated January 2, 2008;

2) The alleged incident, which according to the chauffer's news-reported story amounted to no more than attempted rape - the highest charge the most rabid prosecutor could attempt to file - allegedly occurred in 1996, [b]11 years ago![/b]

3) Criminal charges could quite possibly be barred by the expiration of the applicable Canadian criminal statue of limitations, which they presumably have as law in Canada. (I am a NY and CA attorney only).

Apparently, DC is also the subject of investigation into an alleged rape in the Bahamas in 2006, so that is possibly the reason that the chauffeur suddenly came up with his story now.

Hopefully, no prosecutions will result.

Arnon
Oh no, David tried to have sex with a woman and she turned him down. Throw him in jail. Let's also throw everyone else in jail that has been turned down for sex. How ridiculous.
Interesting how Karma works. David was making fun of Michael Jackson and now he fell victim of a gold digger himself. Watch out who you joke about out there...;)
[quote]
On 2008-01-05 17:51, Micheal Leath wrote:
Oh no, David tried to have sex with a woman and she turned him down. Throw him in jail. Let's also throw everyone else in jail that has been turned down for sex. How ridiculous.
[/quote]

It's not about trying to have sex, it is about trying to force sex.
[quote]
On 2008-01-19 23:38, gdw wrote:
[quote]
On 2008-01-05 17:51, Micheal Leath wrote:
[/quote]

It's not about trying to have sex, it is about trying to force sex.
[/quote]

Where in the story did it say that he tried to force it?
That is the implication of the story as told by the driver. That DC tried to force himself on the girl, and was denied.

And to be more specific:

He tells the tabloid, "I know when someone is having consensual sex in my limousine, but what was going on this time was different.

"They were struggling and I heard raised voices. I could hear the girl saying: 'No. Get off me' and 'Stop'. "
Maybe the limo driver misinterpreted what was going on? Maybe they were having a good time, he tried to go for it, and she said no, get off me, stop. He stopped when she said those words. Is this attempted rape? If so, then I guess a lot of guys are guilty.

Then again, maybe the whole story was made up. We were not there, so we can't know.
If he's innocent... he's being put through hell. If he's guilty... he should be put through hell.

God... it's all so sad and sordid.
Hi friends,
Whatever the case may be it will be decided in one way or other. Good scandal is used in media to keep your name afloat, I repeat (good scandal). But in some cases
drugs and alcohol also play part in many disturbed circumstances. Im not saying it was the case here. It can happen to anyone.
In case you missed it, the FBI returned all the items they removed from D.C.'s warehouse a few weeks ago, and the affair is (at this point) essentially over.

This rent-a-driver doesn't factor into the situation other than having made an unsolicited and unsubstantiated statement to the press. At this point nobody cares what he said.
Wasn't the FBI returning all of his stuff report just from Robin Leach? Not to say it's not true but we should always consider the source.
This whole thing appears to now be a non-story no matter what your source is.
Well... I'm off to see his show tomorrow night!
[quote]
On 2008-01-22 23:17, oombob wrote:
[/quote]

oombob,

Curious to see how the show goes! David is performing in my area in March, however the past 4 years I have seen him, it has been the exact same show... Motorcycle Shadow Box, Through Steel, 13, Portal, Scorpion, Lottery, Baby prediction, etc.... Would prefer to save my money if nothing has changed. Let me know if there is anything new this time around!
Thanks
"Wasn't the FBI returning all of his stuff report just from Robin Leach? Not to say it's not true but we should always consider the source."

Robin Leach? Wasn't he the guy that went into a semi-frenzi over a rich person's bathroom?
[quote]
On 2008-01-23 12:51, INMOTION wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]

oombob,

Curious to see how the show goes! David is performing in my area in March, however the past 4 years I have seen him, it has been the exact same show... Motorcycle Shadow Box, Through Steel, 13, Portal, Scorpion, Lottery, Baby prediction, etc.... Would prefer to save my money if nothing has changed. Let me know if there is anything new this time around!
Thanks
[/quote]

I just went to see DC a few months back in NY, and the show went down pretty much exactly as you've listed here. If you decided to go again, I wouldn't expect to see too much new/different.

Kevin
I have seen him the past 4 years, and his show had not changed at all.
Now it sounds like other than removing the "having my baby" routine, the show is exactly the same... With all that is going on, probably a good idea to take that routine out... I am amazed that he continues to tour every year, same places, same show.. Wouldn't he get bored? I know I did last year watching him...
There was a ticket broker site that I was looking at months ago, and there were many reviews from fans who had seen his show, and many of the reviews were not good at all... Might want to stop touring and start changing! Thanks for the update, I'll save my money this year!
I still say the whole thing is baloney.

The press releases ended when Phenomenon ended.

The new story is that David has kids... with a woman. I don't believe that one either.

The case was supposed to have gone before the grand jury months ago. The results would not have been kept secret. Either they bring him to trial or not. If not, it's fair to assume he would send out a press release to clear his name. Neither one has or I expect will happen.

To those who say he doesn't need this type of publicity... think again. He's not exactly in demand anymore. Performing in Vegas makes him the Wayne Newton of magic. The only difference being that Wayne can still fill a room. I doubt the networks are knocking on his door begging for a new special. Look at it from a layperson's perspective.
Magic Spank has a point.

However, it seems very 'Un-Copperfield-ish' to resort to such unscrupulous tactics for publicity. He has garnered publicity before with more 'image-friendly' methods, i.e. Predicting the Superbowl score, announcing that he's found the 'Fountain of Youth', etc.

Frankly speaking, he's David Copperfiled and whilst all celebrities DO need publicity in one form or another, all he has to do is pitch a new and unique special (which he has always done in the past) to the proper bodies and off he goes. That Fountain Of Youth thing could come in handy here ;)

In my honest opinion, I think the reason he hasn't done so (or changed his show for that matter, as indicated by posts above) is because I think he's just plain tired. Performing 500 shows a year!

How old is he now? 51?
Wayne Newton of magic?... Uh, Vegas is the Broadway of magic!

And DC still sells out venues. He I still very much in demand.
[quote]
On 2008-01-25 20:49, Logan wrote:
Magic Spank has a point.

However, it seems very 'Un-Copperfield-ish' to resort to such unscrupulous tactics for publicity. He has garnered publicity before with more 'image-friendly' methods, i.e. Predicting the Superbowl score, announcing that he's found the 'Fountain of Youth', etc.

Frankly speaking, he's David Copperfiled and whilst all celebrities DO need publicity in one form or another, all he has to do is pitch a [b][u]new and unique special (which he has always done in the past)[/b][u/] to the proper bodies and off he goes. That Fountain Of Youth thing could come in handy here ;)

In my honest opinion, I think the reason he hasn't done so (or changed his show for that matter, as indicated by posts above) is because I think he's just plain tired. Performing 500 shows a year!

How old is he now? 51?
[/quote]

Did you not see the tornado of fire special? Yeah, completely unique approach to a show there. :rolleyes:
With the exception of that one! Haha!
[quote]
[quote]
[/quote]

oombob,

Thanks
[/quote]

Saw him....yes, yes.... the same show. A nice fresh bit with a borrowed necktie that animates and sings along to a Harry Belafonte tune but otherwise, the same program.

Really nice to take my two young sons out to see it through their fresh eyes.
[quote]
On 2008-01-27 01:20, oombob wrote:
[quote]
[quote]
[/quote]

oombob,

Thanks
[/quote]

Saw him....yes, yes.... the same show. A nice fresh bit with a borrowed necktie that animates and sings along to a Harry Belafonte tune but otherwise, the same program.

Really nice to take my two young sons out to see it through their fresh eyes.
[/quote]

That's not all that fresh. It was on one of his earlier specials.

I have seen the show, maybe three times now, sine he started doing the Hawaii illusion, and over all it has been the same show. He has a few things that seem to change, but from the sounds of it, the show consists of a bunch of illusions that he rotates in and out so that the show can be "different" every now and then.

But it is a high possibility that you will end up seeing a lot of the same illusions as the last time you saw it, as they could just happene to be in that show.

For most performers with a regular touring show, this is pretty common. Same goes for a stationary show, like Burtons. A few illusions are always being rotated, and every now and then, something that hasn't been in for a while will show up, but largly the show will be the same for a long period of time.

This only makes sense for a stationary show in the performers own theater. They change gradually over time, and even when the show is completely done over, a lot of the same illusions are still there. Also, for a single tour, this makes sense.
A performer tours one show.

DC's Vegas show makes sense to be only gradually changing. His "tours" should have changed rather than being one long 5 year tour going back to the same cities with the same show.

By the time you are repeating cities, unless they are specifically billed as encore visits, the show should be a new tour with a new show, IMO.
Yes, the necktie bit is not fresh... but was the only different element from the show I had seen about four years ago. A great show if you have never seen it. My two sons loved it.
Just a couple thoughts to kick around.....

A few years back we'd all say that Britney Spears current publicity is very un-Britney Spears-ish. But it has got her the #1 digital download currently. In fact she broke all records for digital downloads during her headline topping fiasco that drags on and on, with press releases popping up just as sales begin to slow.

Nice and wholesome just doesn't sell anymore. And that's what showbusiness is all about. Headlines and $$$$. Scandal is the only thing that gets press unfortunately. I'm just assuming David's PR guys finally convinced him of the same.

Either that or all the stories are true and he's some slimy son of a gun. YIKES!!

Raping young girls and cheating with married women? Which would you rather believe?

Humbly yours :)

MagicSpank
[quote]
On 2008-01-27 23:52, Magic Spank wrote:
Raping young girls and cheating with married women? Which would you rather believe?[/quote]

I'm sure there's stories I missed, but during the news blitz a few weeks ago the only story I heard about married women was the one where he backed off as soon as he learned she was married.

Besides, the question should not be what you'd rather believe but which, if any, are true.
[quote]

A few years back we'd all say that Britney Spears current publicity is very un-Britney Spears-ish. But it has got her the #1 digital download currently. In fact she broke all records for digital downloads during her headline topping fiasco that drags on and on, with press releases popping up just as sales begin to slow.

Nice and wholesome just doesn't sell anymore. And that's what showbusiness is all about. Headlines and $$$$. Scandal is the only thing that gets press unfortunately. I'm just assuming David's PR guys finally convinced him of the same.

Either that or all the stories are true and he's some slimy son of a gun. YIKES!!

Raping young girls and cheating with married women? Which would you rather believe?

MagicSpank
[/quote]

I understand what you are saying but don't these kind of things backfire .... especially with Blonds?
One day your selling millions and the next day it's an autopsy.
[quote]

MagicSpank
[/quote]

Y'know... just supposing you were a world class magician with a multi million dollar empire and a travelling show... then picture your PR guys coming up to you and saying... "Hey Dave... let's get you up on some rape charges ... It'll boost sales!"

No, sorry... that is not what is happening here.
[quote]

MagicSpank
[/quote]

Also, it works to boost things for a bit, but the fall out/ fall off is way worse. Britteny's name is all but mud right now. And it will only get worse now. The ONLY thing it will sell is more smutt magazines. In the end, the final condition this all leaves her name in will be nothing good.
Ok, back from Vegas and we DID see David. As a note about the show it IS relatively the same as the past few years.

For those of you familiar with this current show: Shadow Box opener, Steel Plate pass through (of wich my wife and I were actually called on stage for this definitely an experience of a lifetime to be on stage with DC DURING his performance), Scorpion, 13, Lotto. What was different about the show was that he added the 'ring flight' a'la' baby shoe that he did on his 'Fires of Passion' episode. He also did the CRUNCH BOX illusion and flying rose. The HAWAII/FIJI routine is taken out of the lineup for good I believe.

His assistants are primarily men now (I assume due to the recent headlines of sexual harrasment ect...)

He was definitely in good spirits and we were the FIRST AUDIENCE he performed for in 2008! He brought his crew on stage to 'hang out' with the audience while we waited for the countdown to the new year!