(Close Window)
Topic: Need String
I do a string trick on stage and am having trouble finding very thick, coated string.
I can't use nylon or sissel types, because I end up with a bit in my mouth that needs to stay there for the rest of the show..

Does anyone have an online source, or a chainstore source? I bought a nice large ball last year, lasted most of my season and I can't remember where I got it. The usual hardware stores don't carry it, nor do restaurant supply houses, etc.

Thought I'd start looking early this year, so any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Have you tried a crafts store? Maybe you were using kitchen twine (the stuff used to tie up roasts and such)?
I would also like to find cotton string with an even number of strands (for the Kellar string trick). I had one ball that had 6 strands, but now I can only fine 5 strand string - It's not the sort of thing you can ask a Wal-Mart employee about; they ask you why do you want that!

John
I just bought some cotton "horse lead" rope from a rope wholesaler and the core of the rope consists of rope strands that might fill your bill.
If you can find 100% cotton magicians rope, the core of the rope is 3, 4, or as many as 12 strands of cotton which in turn is twisted cottn fibres.
http://bigduck.tripod.com/ropfibre2.gif
Thanks for the idea. I may need to see if any of my rope can provide the necessary size. Even if I do, that would represent a very expensive source of string!
Generally, not. When you do a lot of rope effects, lots of magicians core their rope and throw out the core. How much of it do you need at any given time? I could send you some rope core to try, just pay for the postage, probably 1 or two stamps.
The other source you may want to try is bird toys which use all cotton so the birds don't get chemical problems from the rope. This is twisted:

http://cgi.ebay.com/50-1-4-COTTON-TWIST-ROPE-PARROT-BIRD-CAT-TOY-PART_W0QQitemZ250206030859QQihZ015QQcategoryZ20736QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

If you take it apart, the twisted segment may contain the strands you need.

This one looks even better:

http://cgi.ebay.com/50-of-1-4-Cotton-Rope-crafts-supplies-bird-toy-parts_W0QQitemZ140199327665QQihZ004QQcategoryZ3211QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Or do you want thread?

The India brand of rope carried by some shops has 12 strands of thread in it.
Ian

Thanks for the info and offer.

I have some string like that 1/4" cotton rope - it tends to be too thick. Something about 1/16" seems better for the Kellar string trick (which I do about weekly).

I haven't tried the rope core yet, but as my current ball of string grows smaller, I may need to look more aggressively.

John
Well, I finally found string at my hardware store that has 16 strands!, yet the total thickness is still very thin (~1/16"). They called it twisted twine. It works well for the Kellar string trick