(Close Window)
Topic: Name of this rope trick?
Looking for a book explaining this rope tie...

Copperfield had a special with the haunted house illusions.
In one effect, he was tied up by volunteers, but immediately able to get out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xt5X9PMZvnk

I have seen other magicians do something similar, and then they will
tell the volunteer to hold up the curtain, then the magician pulls an arm
out to lower the curtain, and then when it is lowered, his arm is back
tied up again.

Does anyone happen to know of a book or video on rope effects that might explain this one?

Thanks in advance!
There are some explanations of various rope ties on the Daryl rope DVD set
It is called the “Gysel tie” (after the inventor) or the “Spirit Tie” (what Gysel called it), the “Gypsy tie” (Falkenstein and Willard’s version) amongst other things.

You can find it on volume 2 of Daryl's rope DVD set.

It is remarkably easy to perform and is based on a “discrepancy” that flies right by spectators. It has been discussed a number of times on the Café.

For example you will find a discussion at:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=190798&forum=9

Giving you links to at least seven other threads. You will find the references to books and videos that explain the tie.

Enjoy your research.
Also in Tarbell.....shocking I know.
Wow! Years of wondering... answered with a single post on the Magic Café!

I am very grateful to each of you for taking a few minutes to share you knowledge on this effect. I just purchased the Daryl DVDs online and can hardly wait to see them.

Thank you all so very much!
I am not certain he is using the Gysel tie (at least not as described in Tarbell). If you watch closely, DC does not perform the special move at the beginning that would be necessary for the Gysel tie. It looks more like the tie used in the Cabinet Seance (see Tarbell, Vol 8).

Regards, Steve
Hi Steve,

Is it possible that they edited out the video footage where that special move is made? I'll look those two up in Tarbell.

Thank you for sharing your insights!
Hi Asianmagic,

It doesn't look as if they edited the shot. It appears to be a continuous shot from the time the spectators have just finished tying the rope on his wrists and DC's arms are spread wide, until DC crosses his arms so the ropes can be tied around his back. I'll be interested in your views after you look up the two ties in Tarbell.

Regards, Steve
WOW WHAT A GREAT ILLUSION
Watch again. He does the move right at the beginning of the video. His handling is smooth beyond belief! He is even smoother than Francis Falkenstein. By the way, I have seen Coperfield perform this illusion and he was less smooth during that performance. I've also seen Ms. Falkenstein perform her version (which looks more impossible).
Hello friends,

Thank you so much for all of this valuable information. I am thrilled by these insights. Honestly, I've been delighted by that rope effect for years, but never really dug into it. Never even thought of posting it here until a few days ago. I'm really grateful for each of you taking the time to share your thoughts and ideas. A true fraternal spirit here, for sure. The only rope work I've done is with the Professors Nightmare, which I do in every show. I just bought those Daryl DVD's, and was flabergasted when reading the summary of all of the rope effects. No doubt some more rope magic will add greater texture and enhance my show! Thanks again, everyone!

I still don't know the secret move yet, but will be digging into the Daryl videos, as well as Tarbell. Harry, I'm excited about what you wrote, saying that Copperfield did the move boldly in plain view. Really looking forward to exploring this. You've ignited quite a spark in this new area of interest in the world of magic! Thanks so very much!
Oh, forgot to mention, I googled Francis Falkenstein and didn't see anything. Nothing on You Tube, eitehr. Can anyone point me in a direction or two to research her, as well? Sounds intriguing!
Whether he did the Gysel tie(if he did, it was very convincing), or the seance cabinet method(mentioned above), he is very fast at getting the coat on!

It was a very entertaining combination of "spirit" effects. Some would have just done the Gysel routine, or just the "tent" routine, or just the spectator vanish, or just the animation, or just... He made a very full and entertaining routine out of all of them. On my budget & venues, I just do the Gysel :)

John
Hi John,

Very good points! Thank you so much for sharing these insights! I hadn't look at it this way! All in all, then, a very good performance!