(Close Window)
Topic: Yours Truly, Jack the Ripper
OK - this will be a REAL project!

Brother KOTAH has sent me some wonderful things already!

OK - seriously, here is what I propose - this will be a hard copy book +/- objects to go with it, done as a special collaboration. I will endevour to figure out a way to also make the pages difficult to photocopy.... the only way to get this book is to somehow contribute to it (which will be determined....).... and there will be only one run of the books.

Everyone who gets one can donate whatever money they want to the Mystery Mentschen project above basic costs of the book - that is what I called the force that collected money from FLYTRAP ($ went to the International Childrens Wish Foundation)... and this money I suggest would be donated to:

http://www.womankind.org.uk/what-we-do.html

Although if anyone has a better idea for a charity, post it here. The reason also to have a middle name like MM is that my wife pointed out Charities of this sort might not really want to take money from a book that features Jack the Ripper! Besides, anyone who gets involved will know where I live :)....

I also suggest a working term for the group of us that get involved... The Tenebrae.

I will post some more thoughts soon!

Dr S
From the Jack overload page:

Working title:

YOURS TRULY, JACK THE RIPPER

Possible sections:

Background on Jack

Why is Jack so popular?

Contextual / Presentation etc. consdierations for doing Ripper routines

Comedy and Jack?

A section of actual routines, effects from contributers

A list of effects, routines etc. commercial with links

A list of media resources for inspiration

--------------------------

OK - Fearload Fraughton and Marqus have offered some material... Alton and Andre have offered proofreading and other helpful things... KOTAH is gleefully involved...

Do we have any twisted artists out there, by the way?

COMMERCIAL JACK
------------------
It would be great if we can list all commercial effects, etc. that we know of here - even if no one gets a book - at least this will be good info. To add, just "quote" then remove quotes and add your additions so the list will grow over time...?

Also, people can toss in links if they want.

------------------

FROM HELL - Lebanon Circle

BOOK OF ASCENSION RIPPER EDITION - Lebanon Circle

HOMICIDE SERIES UK - Outlaw Effects

DARK MUSUEM RIPPER EDITION / EYE OF THE RIPPER - Doug Higley

BAND OF THE HAND - Docc Hilford

DEAR BOSS - (Keith Lack?)

BONE, RAG, HANK OF HAIR - From CANTRIP CODEX, Doc Sheil

(? Jack the ripper routines) - Peter Marducci (I don't have this (GASP) but I hear he had some sort of booklet
[quote]
(? Jack the ripper routines) - Peter Marducci (I don't have this (GASP) but I hear he had some sort of booklet
[/quote]

Peter Marucci (not Marducci) has a routine called Dear Boss on BizarreMagick.com. I think I remember hearing about a booklet (or at least more routines) also but cannot recall 100%.

Alton
I definitely want in on this. . . I sort of feel a little like my mental block (turns out it was probably just a bout of kidney stones, I feel much better now) had a bit to do with it. Honestly, though, it's the glut of Jack related stuff (this is not a bad thing) that's come around lately that has struck us all, I think.

What kind of deadline are you thinking? I have some emails to which I am over=due in responding to this evening but blessedly have tomorrow evening alone with my keyboard to write up some of the things I'm working on. One of things I'm liking the best is my script for Doug's Dark Museum, but I'd want to clean it up quite a bit before sharing.

I'm thinking we'd want to run routines by the effect creators, especially for commercial items, before sharing them in print though. Just a thought. I know Doug likes to see what folks are doing with his stuff, not that he'd have a problem with it. He is, after all, as my daughter would say, "one righteous dude". As is Dan at Lebanon Circle.

An addition for your commercial list: Alexandre and Anabelle have several Jack effects in "The Black School" book (which by the way I quite enjoy).

Just my thoughts at the moment. I'm sure I'll think of some more later.

Mark

PS I've been pouring over Brother Kotah's Ripper notes for weeks now. They really make you think. Great stuff.
Hi Mark,

No real deadline as yet - since this should be a collaborative process and there really is no rush... its not like this will be designed for a quick buck so let us do this well and right! If it takes a year, so it takes a year. This will be a labour of dark love.

Bruce
[quote]
On 2008-01-03 16:26, AltonThrash wrote:

Peter Marucci (not Marducci) has a routine called Dear Boss on BizarreMagick.com. I think I remember hearing about a booklet (or at least more routines) also but cannot recall 100%.

Alton
[/quote]

See Alton? You are great at catching errors :bat:
[quote]
On 2008-01-03 16:33, Mark Raven wrote:

I'm thinking we'd want to run routines by the effect creators, especially for commercial items, before sharing them in print though. Just a thought. I know Doug likes to see what folks are doing with his stuff, not that he'd have a problem with it. He is, after all, as my daughter would say, "one righteous dude". As is Dan at Lebanon Circle.

An addition for your commercial list: Alexandre and Anabelle have several Jack effects in "The Black School" book (which by the way I quite enjoy).

Just my thoughts at the moment. I'm sure I'll think of some more later.

Mark

PS I've been pouring over Brother Kotah's Ripper notes for weeks now. They really make you think. Great stuff.
[/quote]

Yes, we would want to contact the creators (I can contact Dan (LC) if needed) before hand to see if they are ok with contributing. Which brings me to:

Is the Curator's routine written up in Hauntiques? Four Pence is a very nice routine indeed. I know he contributed it to Magic magazine Oct. 2007. Maybe we could include it as a reference if he wouldn't want to contribute the routine.

As far as Black School.....i need to get me a copy. I keep hearing good things about it.

Alton
[quote]
On 2008-01-03 16:54, Dr Spektor wrote:
[quote]
On 2008-01-03 16:26, AltonThrash wrote:

Alton
[/quote]

See Alton? You are great at catching errors :bat:
[/quote]

I am a stickler for spelling! Just ask my boss! :crazydude:

Alton
[quote]

OK - seriously, here is what I propose - this will be a hard copy book +/- objects to go with it, done as a special collaboration. I will endevour to figure out a way to also make the pages difficult to photocopy.... the only way to get this book is to somehow contribute to it (which will be determined....).... and there will be only one run of the books.

Dr S
[/quote]

Bruce,
What kind of objects are you proposing to go with the book?

Alton
Well, depending on the material, maybe we can approach Higley, Dan and Roth and see what can be done! (And SIMON)
I'd like to offer my professional Art Direction/Graphic Design talents. I've created and produced major advertising campaigns for household name advertisers in print and broadcast. I've also been at the startup for promoting national distribution of a novel. Let me know if you want my help.
Meanwhile, keep me posted.
Thanks
KW
Thanks KW- let us see how things shape up - I believe art is essential to books on the bizarre!
Artwork is essential, especially cover work and thematic graphics throughout the body of book. But since I create everything for publishing in QuarkXpress, I also format the signatures, design the page layouts and illustrations too. From soup to nuts. Also, just prior to prepress submission, I can convert the entire project into PDFs and have them available for an online ebook, download ready, Actual printing hard copy examples can wait for another day.
[quote]
Is the Curator's routine written up in Hauntiques? Four Pence is a very nice routine indeed. I know he contributed it to Magic magazine Oct. 2007. Maybe we could include it as a reference if he wouldn't want to contribute the routine.[/quote]

Yes, "Four Pence" is described in "Hauntiques" and it has been given to MAGIC magazine to go with Joshua Jay's article. As the publisher of "Hauntiques", I don't have a problem in allowing the routine to be re-published in a new book, provided credits are given, but Christian should have the final word on his material.

All the best,
This sounds like a great project.......I hope to contribute something.

I shall write up a rountine that I have been working on and send it to you.
In addition to my Shuddershadow routine, I have a few more to add. First, I have to type them up.

Wkitwizard, glad to see you jump in the mix.

Marqus
[quote]
On 2008-01-04 07:33, MPMagic wrote:
[quote]
Is the Curator's routine written up in Hauntiques? Four Pence is a very nice routine indeed. I know he contributed it to Magic magazine Oct. 2007. Maybe we could include it as a reference if he wouldn't want to contribute the routine.[/quote]

Yes, "Four Pence" is described in "Hauntiques" and it has been given to MAGIC magazine to go with Joshua Jay's article. As the publisher of "Hauntiques", I don't have a problem in allowing the routine to be re-published in a new book, provided credits are given, but Christian should have the final word on his material.

All the best,
[/quote]

Thanks MP. Since I don't have "Hauntiques" yet (I know, I know I am slipping) I wasn't sure. I agree that Christian should have the final word on the release. Thank you for your blessing. See now I know where to look for the routine. I gotta get "Hauntiques".

[quote]
Maybe we could include it as a reference if he wouldn't want to contribute the routine.
[/quote]

Oh and just to claify this statement I made, I was meaning to include the source(s) for "Four Pence" only not the actual routine if the routine wasn't contributed. After I reread my post I see it may be unclear what I was referring to.

Alton
[quote]
On 2008-01-03 19:16, Dr Spektor wrote:
Well, depending on the material, maybe we can approach Higley, Dan and Roth and see what can be done! (And SIMON)
[/quote]

Yep can't forget our other "pusher" Simon! We may need to strong arm him for his Whitechappel Seance :devilish: . We just need to wait until he ships our stuff :thumbsup: .

Alton
Heheh - true!

Harlequin just sent me anice little Ripper routine for consideration of inclusion - and is nice and short and packs a punch! (Or a cut???)...

Indeed, I can see the book needing to look eerie, dark, designed with some subtle codes in the margins (as KOTAH has provided a nice cypher code based on the scrawls on a wall from one of the murder scenes)... so Wktwizard, I think we'll all benefit greatly from your talents!

I ust woke up and came up with a routine that is a table top recreation of the murder using Call of Cthulhu Gaslight lead figures :) - it is a homage to Alan Moore's From Hell, where the essence of the routine is showing how Jack the Ripper performs a dark magic ritual through the sacrifice of the women to usher in evil within the 20th century.... and it can all be contained in a small eerie box :)....

Now to write it up (groan)....!

Fun fun fun!

Anyone here want to write up any presentation / context essays? I'll do it if no one else will in the end.... but I will also add that I am happy to help add suggestions and subtleties to people wanting to submit material? Maybe KOTAH can too, if he feels inclined? Although I am happy to push things along, as this is the beginning, best to get many viewpoints in the mix before the final commitment to bring are insane dreams into hideous reality!
Thanks Marco! I am sure Christian will swoop by this thread at some point and give us the yea or nay!
Thanks, Dr! This project is a great and worthy idea.
Newsflash - Jim Magus just submitted a killer routine (killer OUCH)... nice!!!! Thanks Master Magus!!!
Dr Spektor, your project is taking on a life of its own. A fantastic tange of people offering their talents. BY all means use any effect I have suggested on the ripper theme here on the Café. I currentlt await my fourth 1800's english penny. this one from 1888. I plan to place them in a square pattern on the table. Lay the blade of a dagger across any two at a time to create an equivique style elimination. Spectator taps one of the remaining two. Coin forced is turned over, shown to be the ripper coin 1888, In truth any one of them may actually have passed through his hands at one time or another.

Kotah
Further reflection on the coin effect above' a title to justify the arranging of the coins into a square could be' Dark Incident At Mitre Square. THis group of amazing Ripperologists have the old wheels turning once again.

This is an exciting opportunity.

Kotah
KOTAH, you are on a dark roll! Glad this is getting us all going!

Bizzaripperologists :bat:
I just wish I had gotten more into ripperology and at an earlier age. This all sounds fascinating! I am glad you have this going!

Bill
If this project goes forward, I will gladly donate:

"The Seventh W hore"

"Jack The Ripper is After Anabelle"

And "Jack The Ripper's Warning For Naughty Girls" written to be performed by a woman but can be adapted.

All three featured in The Black School, two of which were written with Anabelle, but I own full rights to them, though I'm sure Anabelle wouldn't object to their inclusion in this project.

Let me know.
Sounds great to me Alexandre!

(But I still want a Yeti claw)
You can count me in. Let's start brainstorming!

Yours truly,
Bert
Wow - excellent news flash.... if I can find a way to get permission - the book may feature a routine never published by a Master of the Bizarre who has passed into the Shadow Realms of the Worlds to Come... GP (see Jim's recent post in the Haunted Cane)...

Cripes... if we get the Ok - I am going to push to turn this book into a old leather bound volume, metal clasps, gold edging with hidden pocket sort of thing... watch out... this might actually become something totally insane... (more insane than I dreamed that is)...
Anyone know hot to get a hold of Docc Hilford BTW? I'd like to ask him to join in too... he's been a Bizarripper for a long time!
It gets better and better!
Yep sounds like it is getting better and better.
Dr.S, are you interested in contributions from the amateur side of the fence? Or is this strictly for the Pros?
Dr.S, are you interested in contributions from the amateur side of the fence? Or is this strictly for the Pros?
I figure, send it in PM me and I'll fire you my address. Once I collect enough, I'll ask a few pros to review all the material and see whats what. I can say short is good :)
Oh, if anyone is interested in writing some ESSAYS as opposed to effects - that would be great... like:

1) A synopsis of the killings

2) Why is Jack the Ripper so popular a theme

3) Small Theme sections - Lees the psychic / the Freemasons / the Undead Sorcerer / etc. i.e. various premises... short 1 pagers with some links/resources for further study

etc.

These will be in some ways more important than the routines... everything needs context!
Won a bid on E-bay for a dandy double edge blade knife for mt mitre square routine
WAs outbid on thw 1888 Penny. Modified the routine so the date on the chosen coin is secondary. It is the only coin with a bloody thumbpring on the obverse.
Other surprises too. Simple stuff, basic magic 101.

Bruce, a Yeti book? Don't bite off too much at one time

kotah
I'm going to premier [oh the grandness of it! ;-)] a routine at the circle tonight - it's basically Sean Fields's 'Saw' with a chinese bit production on the end of the string (a la the Polo mint/Lifesaver routine).
My tale relates to Lizzie Stride having 2 Pennies put in her mouth to 'pay the feeryman', but a young morgue attendant swaps one for a worthless chinese coin, that he was swindled with earlier. However, after some spooky interventions alone in the morgue he recants, and unpicks the stitches around Lizzie's neck [her only wound] - only to find...[muhwahhaha...]
If it's any good, I'll write it up.

(If it bombs, I'll never mention it again...)
Oh, forgot to mention, I'll placing an English penny & Chinese bit in mouth, but only the Penny will come out - think "Scotch n Soda in yer gob with Eddie Gibson's 'Chinese Bit' set" prior to using the Saw production.
Docsteve, your creativity is in over drive. Nice twisted locic to the routine; and so dark it makes my heart to glutter ( Afibulation?)
What a gift! thankyou sir.

Kotah
" Flutter " not glutter, sorry
Brother Kotah
As ever, you're too kind.
And it worked nicely tonight - though needs some refinement (like trying to speak with a penny in one's mouth! Doh!)
Will think and progress with it - but the encouragement is truly appreciated - particularly from one's Lords, Masters & Heroes.
Peter has a booklet called "Jack the Ripper: A Seance of Bizarre Magick and has some good ideas and the price is right for a small booklet as this.
Being both bizarrist, and quite well read on the Ripper subject (as well as adapted several "commercial" routines out there for the theme ..

I too would love to lend my creative hand at this to anything I can do. From trickwriting to building a website ;)
Website....! NICE...!!!

Also, I was thinking as this develops, to have perhaps either on such a website on a secure section dowloadable graphics / props etc. (Maps, pictures, whatever) for augmenting the use of the book....
Great idea Bruce - If anyone is interested I have some pics of the Elephant man, as he is in his current (and not available for public viewing) standing ion the LHMC Museum - maybe I can digitise them. (All hail to Ganesh)
All graphic elements used for the book production can then be used to upload onto a website. Just a matter of changes file sizes and formats. That way, anyone who has access to the book, can also go to the website and download all the graphics they choose.
I started doing a search for Cthulhu Gaslight figures to give the effect I'm working on some oomf... check this out... perfect for close-up bizarre Storytelling... fun fun fun.... not only did I find a Jack the Ripper line as well as Jekyll and Hyde.... but a YETI line... holy dark gods smiling or what???

http://www.westwindproductions.co.uk/catalog/index.php?cPath=2_18
Surely Red jack was left-handed Bruce ;-) ...
Or maybe he / she (it) was ambidextrous!
I don't know if he was left or right handed, be he WAS left footed. I should know, I have his right big toe on a cord around my neck.

Doug sent it to me.
I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous you know...

(and my right family jewel to be funny)
[quote] and my right family jewel to be funny [/quote]

You know what you would be if you gave up both of them?

Just a ----.

Never mind, I should not be posting.
OK, What is a good title for this book... it helps me focus.... these are the titles I thought up - but maybe some have some better ideas.... I ranked them in the order I liked them...

THE CLOAK OF THE RIPPER

THE MASQUE OF THE RIPPER

THE RIPPER REVELATIONS

THE TESTAMENT OF THE RIPPER

THE WHITECHAPEL EXHIBIT
[quote]
On 2008-01-06 20:24, Dr Spektor wrote:
Oh, if anyone is interested in writing some ESSAYS as opposed to effects - that would be great... like:

1) A synopsis of the killings

2) Why is Jack the Ripper so popular a theme

3) Small Theme sections - Lees the psychic / the Freemasons / the Undead Sorcerer / etc. i.e. various premises... short 1 pagers with some links/resources for further study

etc.

These will be in some ways more important than the routines... everything needs context!
[/quote]

I don't think I could contribute any effects or routines, but I'm fairly confident that I could write an essay or two.

Margarette
I rather like 'Yours Truly, Jack The Ripper'
WHITECHAPEL, PORTAL TO HELL
SANCTUM OF THE RIPPER
SAUCY JACK
WHITECHAPEL DRAWBLADE, 1888
:)
WHITECHAPLE PHANTOM CHRONICLES

OF STEEL AND FLESH

RIPPER INTROSPECTIVE

BEYOND THE GORE, LAY FASCINATION

Kotah
I like "Yours Truly. . ." the best. But I've been calling it "Red Jack's Big Book of Fun" in my head. Sorry, I'll be quiet now.

Mark
Heheheh... you rascals!

Margarette - you are great!!!! What would you like to write? Essays are especialy welcome!

I'll PM you....
UPDATE 10/7/2008

What we got cooking so far:

Submitted

KOTAH
· A ton of files, ideas and tasty bits including a variety of graphics!

· Routine: Incident at Mitre Square

· Routine: Once Writ

· Routine: Goulston Street Graffito

· Essay: “A Phantom Then and Now” – an overview of the case

John B. AKA Harelquin

· An untitled ripper routine (Card Effect)

Michael Fraughton

· Routine: The Red Jack Dark Séance

Jim Magus

· Routine: The Ripper Séance

Gene Poinc

· Routine: “A Gentleman’s Companion” (If I can figure out who to ask and get the OK - anyone know who I should talk to???)

Aidan / Fishwasher

· Routine: Will the Real Jack Please Stand Up

Created and to still be sent in:

Hildebrandt, Dale A.

· “Yet another Ripper Effect”

Alexandre / Annabelle

· The Seventh W hore

· Jack The Ripper is After Anabelle

· Jack The Ripper's Warning For Naughty Girls

Works in progress:

Dr. Spektor / Bruce

· Routine: “One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th century'': an intimate evening of terror

· Routine: “Gourmand of the Grotesque”

· Routine: “Autumn of Terror 1888 – A Rare Vintage”

· Something to do with Lees…. For heavens sakes… if no one else will – I’ll do it – he’s the psychic for crying out loud…

· Various essays on possible thematic takes, considerations of presenting Jack the Ripper themed effects for spectators, etc. (Although I hope some others might want to help out on this)

· A running commentary of the Jack in the 21st Century reflecting on his immortal life and discussing themes and elements based on the submissions (i.e. a lot of from Hell/Dear Boss modern style)

Balaram / Bill

· Routine: Mary’s Window

Marqus / ?

· (Shuddershadow Mansion and graphics)

Silverking /Blair

· Routine: No Title as yet but a Bloody Special Effect J

Doc Steve

· In Progress – but sounds bloody marvellous

Sibbie / Cayce

· Untitled card effect

Margarette:

· An Essay! (YAY!) TBD

The Murder Scene Clean up crew:

· Dr S / Bruce, insane visionary

· WktWizard / Kit – Graphics / Layout guru

· Thamiel – possible art contribution

· Alton Thrash – Copyeditor and Second Eye

· Andre Hagen - Copyeditor

· Askernas – Web Development

· Senior Expert Ripperologist: KOTAH

People with effects maybe we should ask to consider contributing to the cause?

· Marruci

· T C Tahoe

· Ed Solomon

· Docc Hilford

The Curator?
Docc Hilfords nightmare routine is the best Ripper effect I have found. I even went as far as creating my own gaffed coin from a 1888 bun penny for this effect.
Put me down for "Mary Kelly's Eye". I should have it to you next week.
:) Nice one BloodyJack!

Ansd Mark - does this involve a Higley by any chance? YUm!
:) Nice one BloodyJack!

Ansd Mark - does this involve a Higley by any chance? YUm!
Um. . . perhaps. . .
Bloody Jack, you own the ultimate in copper silver coins. Exquisite !!

Kotah the envious
The copper silver coin is the half dollar in the picture. The other side of it is queen victorias head (bun penny). Everyone wants to see it when the old penny is shown so I use a simple shuttle pass that is totally hidden because its to show them the date on the coin switch to the 1888 coin and end clean :)
There is one more in exsitance I made 2 and sold one to some guy on this forum
Dr Spektor,

I am a ripper enthusiast, but far from being an expert on the subject. We no doubt have many in our ranks here, who could test me severely.

I have mentioned contacting others in the Jack Overload posting area.
Will continue to reach out.

Kotah
I would love to try my hand at an essay. What would you suggest?
Also, just thought of another section based on BloodyJack's work...

"The Bloody Tools Section" - a possible section where people can share how they found and or built props / setting pieces specific for gothic/gaslight/ripper etc. effects.....

Also, this is where we can list certain companies effects for sale that are wonderful for many uses beyond what they were originally even intended for!
Consider making an announcement on the http://www.bizarremagic.net forum ?
Also: LUNA from Outlaw will be Ripper related--!
Speaking of OUTLAW.... I asked a few different favourite creators of magic goodies if they could contribute to the cause by giving a discount / vouchers for Ripper related items they sell...

And Dan from LB and Roth from OUTLAW said "YEa!" - the exact nature of these specials will be determined later... but I know many Ripper effects will be enhanced by Homicide UK items... (and what I hear are some other amazing LUNAtic items Ripper related) from Outlaw - and Dan's From Hell, Book of Ascension, Incorruptiple etc.... wow... I'm sure a few more of our Unusual Suspects of Dark magic might also come in on this....

So, round of applause for Dan and Roth - true gentlemen of the cause...

----

Slydini - in terms of an essay - whatever appeals to you and will help relate some context elements for performing Gaslight themed effects.... Jim Magus just let me know he is going to write up an essay on why Jack is so popular and still in popular culture.... Thamiel is thinking of doing artistic elements for the Ripper... I might write something on spectator consideration and safety issues for presenting such dark magic...
I was thinking of going to bizarremagick... and then I thought - heck, Magic Café doesn't get enough good press... let it be known that this project started here, was developed here and was produced by the local zaniacs....

Also, if it all goes well - what a great case example of magicians helping magicians (and charity) in that within a short time an amazing book can be produced...

Wild, man....wild!
UPDATE

Submitted

KOTAH
• A ton of files, ideas and tasty bits including a variety of graphics!

• Routine: Incident at Mitre Square

• Routine: Once Writ

• Routine: Goulston Street Graffito

• Routine: Some Believe

• Essay: “A Phantom Then and Now” – an overview of the case

• Appendix: The King’s English – glossary of terms used in the era

John B. AKA Harelquin

• Routine: The Ripper’s Blade (Card Effect)

Michael Fraughton

• Routine: The Red Jack Dark Séance

Jim Magus

• Routine: The Ripper Séance

Gene Poinc

• Routine: “A Gentleman’s Companion” (with permission – yay!)

Aidan / Fishwasher

• Routine: Will the Real Jack Please Stand Up

Mark Raven:

• The Eye of Mary Kelly

Hildebrandt, Dale A.

• “Yet another Ripper Effect”

Alexandre / Annabelle

• The Seventh W hore

• Jack The Ripper is After Anabelle

• Jack The Ripper's Warning For Naughty Girls

Works in progress:

Dr. Spektor / Bruce

• Routine: “One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th century'': an intimate evening of terror

• Routine: “Gourmand of the Grotesque”

• Routine: “Autumn of Terror 1888 – A Rare Vintage”

• Routine: “Visions of Hell” (Yes, that Robert Lees theme I babbled about)

• Various essays on possible thematic takes, considerations of presenting Jack the Ripper themed effects for spectators, etc. (Although I hope some others might want to help out on this)

• A running commentary of the Jack in the 21st Century reflecting on his immortal life and discussing themes and elements based on the submissions (i.e. a lot of from Hell/Dear Boss modern style)

Jim Magus

• Essay: Why Jack the Ripper is so popular (Title to be confirmed)

Balaram / Bill

• Routine: Mary’s Window

Marqus / ?

• (Shuddershadow Mansion Jack and graphics)

Silverking /Blair)

• Routine: No Title as yet but a Bloody Special Effect 

Doc Steve

• In Progress – but sounds bloody marvellous (a couple I’m told)

Sibbie / Cayce

• Untitled card effect

Margarette:

• An Essay! (YAY!) TBD

• Dr S / Bruce, insane visionary

• WktWizard / Kit – Graphics / Layout guru

• Thamiel – possible art contribution

• Alton Thrash – Copyeditor and Second Eye

• Andre Hagen - Copyeditor

• Askernas – Web Development

• Senior Expert Ripperologist: KOTAH

Magic Creator Supporters:

Lebanon Circle Discounts for select products (TBD)

Outlaw Effects Discounts for select products (TBD)

People with effects maybe we should ask to consider contributing to the cause?

• Marruci

• T C Tahoe

• Ed Solomon

• Docc Hilford

• The Curator
A wealth of information and creative resourcing. Bravo! Look forward to building a fabulous tome.
Marvelous!
Man ... what a book!
This is sounding great!
I have been contacted by a couple of folks asking permission to use the Higley's Ripper props etc. By all means. Have at it. Credit is all I ask. :)

Any contributor to Bruce's project will get a Discount voucher for a FUTURE Higley's purchase. (more later or TBD)

Yes Bruce, I will also contribute, (a brief story and some Art work) I'd love a Higley discount! :)

Doug
I am eager to see Higley's art work and routine.

Mark Raven gave me a sneak peek at his routine. Doug will be pleased with what he has done. Higley props, used extremely well!

Both of these gentlemen Rock!
Everyone whos joining in, Rocks the bizarrist world.

Kotah
It is worth considering that coins proported to be Ripper artefacts should... nerdishly and TECNICALLY speaking... be pristine -ish 1888 or earlier coins. This is assuming the women would have older coins. I use these with my customised "From Hell" set along with a lock of hair and (non-specific) scraps of period paper, sealing wax and a metal, Victorian cash box.

If anyone is interested in 1888 and earlier coins drop me a line and I might be able to help.

I am also planning on some Ripper effects that will hopefully push the boat out in terms of disturbing spectators and causing some swooning and shrieks if I'm lucky....
Wow! I really appreciate all the feedback! It's a real boost. But I'm sure the rest of the book will be even better!

Tom, I pm'd you.

Mark
Hey Tom Just trying to work out your reasoning, why would they be pristine coins 120 years on? Unless you were claiming you obtained them through time travel.
Good one, Bloody Jack!

Now if Tom is up on his Ripper Lore... he will direct you to the hideous film "Time after Time"....

But An aged ancient coin is always more eerie...
I suppose if a real "Ripper used" coin was in circulation since the crime it would be as worn as the ones that are available...but if that were the case why would you then presume or could you know it was one involved or had anything to do with the events? Any quanitified association would have been long since lost.

I would suggest one could offer coins in a few ways...

A: Present it/them as a representation of the type of coin that was used (in which case the year and condition isn't as important)

B: Say or suggest it was involved in the crimes. In that case it would have to be presumed to have been held by someone who stopped it from being circulated (and therefore lost) from that point on, in which case it should be 1888 at the latest and therefore only about as worn as any coin would have been within 1 year.

C: If it was of a year previous to 1888 and was held as a token or piece of evidence from a Ripper crime, it would (one can only presume) be as worn as a coin of it's year and type would have become up until it was "kept" as a Ripper artefact in 1888.

Having said this (I told you it was a "nerdish technicality" despite it's accuracy), and you are quite right Dr Spektor... a worn coin does have a certain ghostly "something" about it.
You could claim your psychic power and or spirits in the coin or is was dug up and taken from a victims eyes by a grave robber.
I think your "nerdish technicality" is just plain over thinking.
Oh and hey Dr Spektor "Mureder by decree" came out the same year as "time after time" and is a way better movie.
To each his own Jack, to each his own...

;)
Hey tom
I agree a pre-1888 works fine for any Jack effects and a lot easier to find.
I purchased about 6 bun pennys from e-bay for about 3 quid and one just happened to be 1888. To make the sun and moon coin I used any old bun penny cant remember the year because I machined the side with the date to make it thin enough.
Incidently I am looking for better condition coins to make another set so I guess I sort of feel the same way. I already have 2 1964(The 64,s are still silver) Kennedy half dollars. I am coming home for a moterbike road trip in the summer and will have to hit the coin shops.
A very interesting story about Jack in the Surnateum Collection.
Only French but should be translate one day.
http://www.surnateum.org/french/surnateum/collection/Oracles/orbe.htm
Sent you a Pm, most illustrous Curator!

Being in Canada, I have a lot of people who can translate French to English - with your permission and the retention of all rights to you, we'd love to have it for the project!

(Plus if you want to submit the piece in Hauntiques :) :) :bat: :) :) ....?)
Submit where ? Here ?
I miss a point somewhere...
I'll PM you again ;)

A tome of dark magic dealing with the mysteries associated with the Autumn of Terror, 1888

Note for contributions:

1) Nothing in it will aggrandize violence or Jack – although there are many fictions dealing with Jack, it is important to remember the Ripper murders were real and not fictitious and that this must be considered for what this book is about.

2) That the effects and material in the book are to be used or reflected on to understand that such sickness did exist and STILL DOES... and that society itself has some major issues promoting via media and hype violence (including serial killers and school shooters etc)... Jack was the first Media "star" killer... and he was never caught. He and the things associated with him are not just terror - they are aspects of real things in life.

3) I'll be framing any submissions with some psychological uses for education and meaning - as well as writing a section that some magic should not be used... i.e. magic has for a long time been equated with dexterity tricks etc... when in fact, magic skills have the dangerous potential to really shatter people. The effects in this book and the essays to go with it will explain that when using such heavy topics - one doesn't want to become a traumatizer oneself! Magic must be respected as one of the most powerful arts ever devised by humankind.

4) I'm an educator, deep down... and there is something about Jack that has stuck in history and popular culture because the mystery represents something we as people still struggle with - such as our own role in society and what should we be doing when we see insane games like GRAND THEFT AUTO emulating acts similar to Jack the Ripper? Putting our heads in the sand won't help... remember the goal of this book is to also raise charity funds for women victims of violence.

-----

Submitted

KOTAH

· A ton of files, ideas and tasty bits including a variety of graphics (like 1000 period photos and more – this man does not sleep)!

· Routine: Some Believe

· Routine: “T’was Thomas Bowyer, Found her”

· Routine: Dark Eucharist

· Appendix: The King’s English – glossary of terms used in the era

John B. AKA Harelquin

· Routine: The Ripper’s Blade

Michael Fraughton

Jim Magus

· Routine: Grue (Séance)

Gene Poinc

· Routine: “A Gentleman’s Companion”

Peter Marucci

· Routine: “Staying the Ripper’s Hand”

Aidan / Fishwasher

Stefan Dardik

· Routine: “That Which Survives”

Mark Raven:

· Routine: The Eye of Mary Kelly (A Dark Museum masterpiece)

Dale A. Hildebrand

· Routine: The Red Light District

Marqus / Mark (not to be confused with Mark Walberg)

· Routine: From Hell

Balaram / Bill

Doc Steve

· Routine: Long Liz’s Lessons

Hildebrandt, Dale A.

· Routine: “Yet another Ripper Effect”

Alexandre / Annabelle

· The Seventh W hore

· Jack The Ripper is After Anabelle

· Jack The Ripper's Warning For Naughty Girls

Works in progress:

Dr. Spektor / Bruce

· Routine: “One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th century'': an intimate evening of terror

· Routine: “Gourmand of the Grotesque”

· Routine: “Autumn of Terror 1888 – A Rare Vintage”

· Routine: “Visions of Hell” (Yes, that Robert Lees theme I babbled about)

· Routine: “The 5th Victim”

· Various essays on possible thematic takes, considerations of presenting Jack the Ripper themed effects for spectators, etc. (Although I hope some others might want to help out on this)

· Multiple Stab Wounds – small vignettes to convert other routines into Ripper effects

Jim Magus

· Essay: Why Jack the Ripper is embedded in history and popular culture (Title to be confirmed)

Silverking /Blair

Sibbie / Cayce

· Untitled card effect

Margarette:

· An Essay! (YAY!) TBD

Doug Higley

· Story: Mirror, Mirror

· Hilgey Art (hooray!)

TEB3

· Routine: Unknown as yet – but Twisted

Prof. Peabody / Jim

· Routine / Essay: Unknown (maybe Masonic (yay!))

Maybe Contributing….

Rumour: Ed Solomon

Rumour: Mark Edward

Rumour: The Curator (well no longer a rumour –in the process of confirming some material….)

Doug Higley Artisan Creations AKA Grindshhow Discounts for select products (TBD)

MagiCurios Discounts for select products (TBD)

· Docc Hilford? Anyone know how to contact him????
My only idea for contacting Docc is a seance (of course).
Bumming around town the other day what should I find, but a shiny, new Metropolitan Police whistle. It's got that lovely "Gee, I don't want to hear this sound on a foggy London night after I've killed someone" sound. Now. . . the only thing left is to get rid of the shiny.
[quote]
On 2008-01-17 16:03, fraughton wrote:
My only idea for contacting Docc is a seance (of course).
[/quote]

In secret? For $1000?
Well, Docc hasn't answered my e-mails :( - if anyone else would like to hound him, let me know....

Question... what would be a sinister book mark? Besides a red ribbon...

Anyone have an idea how to convert a nice 1880s coin into a sinister bookmark?

I've also decided based on the amount of information various people sent me in terms of loads of background materials and graphics, a CD ROM will be included in the back cover of the book... saving room in the actual book itself for the "meat" and personal artwork a few people volunteered to do... also, this way one won't have to spend ages downloading things from the net...

The Deadline is now February 28th 2008.

-------------------------------------------

YETI update - well I did get a few submissions... so if anyone wants to send anything in, I'll collect them all but won't get to it until Jack is dealt with or is underway with my fellow tenebrae here.

-------------------------------------------

SOmeone else can do Harlequins of Horror - but I'll be happy to submit something to that :P
A strip of a page from Grey's ? A copy of 1888 news headline?
A white ribbon, some of it red ?
Copy of Jack's envelope with 1888 repro stamp?
Small yellowed strip of writting paper with Jack's signature?
How did I miss this?

If you need any artwork, don't hesitate to ask. (see website in signature)

I'd love to help!

What a project! I'll brainstorm for anything else I can offer...

A forward from Alan Moore- "Jack and Magick" ---- a possibilty?
A long strand of hair--
Balaram, you are one creative bizarre bookmark dude...

Hmm.. maybe to personalize the books... maybe every few has a different style of bookmark - cuz Balaram's stuff is all great!!!

TONE!!! Glad to have you aboard - PM me and we can brainstorm!!!

Alan Moore? That would be fantastic - however... how on earth can we get to him now that he is so big??? Anyone have an idea? If not, I'll go the ol' DC comics route and hope for the best...

One ethical issue... or maybe not... if he writes the forward, I can send him a copy of the book sans all methods etc.... as I don't think he is a magician (he is a magician of narrative.... hmmmm)....

Anyone else have ideas? I was also thinking Eugene Burger might be a good Foreward type of guy
Alan Moore now Haunts Northampton, and a friend of mine, who is an artist, says he drinks with him - maybe time to put such claims to the test?
I'll let you know.
Steve
Message: Posted by: Michael_MacDonald (Jan 22, 2008 07:07AM)
Let me know if I may look up anything else for you lads, this looks like fun and I'm game for chasing things down

look this up on ebay within the next 4 days or it will be gone

Rare Jack the Ripper book ... 1914 1 day left
Portland Transcript 1888 Jack The Ripper Poe Douglass 1 day left
JACK THE RIPPER PSYCHIC INVESTIGATION KILLER IDENTITY 1 day 11 hours left
Jack the Ripper London Police/Scotland Yard/FBI Files 4 days left
VICTORIA JUBILEE SHILLING 1888 (JACK THE RIPPER DATE) 4 days left
Jack the Ripper 100 Years of Investigation! 4 days left
Jack the Ripper Victim Image - C. Eddowes Autopsy 4 days left
Jack the Ripper's Black Magic Rituals - Ivor Edwards 4 days left
JACK THE RIPPER: PRINCE ALBERT & GEORGE RARE 1887 CDV* 4 days left

For recommended further reading:

* 'The Ultimate Jack the Ripper Source book', by Stewart P Evans and Keith Skinner, published by Robinson, 2001.
* 'Jack the Ripper: The Facts', by Paul Begg, published by Robson Books, 2004.
* 'The Jack the Ripper A-Z' by Paul Begg, Martin Fido and Keith Skinner, published by Headline, 1996, with a new edition due to be published in 2007.

http://etext.lib.virginia.edu/journals/EH/EH35/haggard1.html
http://www.casebook.org/intro.html
Message: Posted by: Michael_MacDonald (Jan 22, 2008 07:15AM)
Get the masonic stuff here

http://www.casebook.org/dissertations/freemasonry/stocks.html?show=all
[quote]
On 2008-01-21 23:05, Balaram wrote:
A strip of a page from Grey's ? A copy of 1888 news headline?
A white ribbon, some of it red ?
[/quote]

Good ideas. There was a link a few weeks back that could do custom newspaper headlines. That might be of use in creating the bookmark.

Mark
On the JTR Casebooj site they have images of Death certificates for several of his victime, One of those would make an interesting book mark Scan it, print it out, cut it out and laminate it. Age the paper as you wish.
that's the book mark I plan to make for myself.

Kotah
Actually, what I was thinking to personalize each book more is that such death certifact or other bookmark can have the purchaser's name (or stage name) on it... either as the coroner or the victim... :)

I like the white thread with bloody end... that will be for all of them I think..

Headlines can be personalized too...

In the end, each book should be considered tailored for the wizard who buys it.

Maybe I'll hide some other goodies in it too.
How about an original artwork in each one, perhaps an editioned wood-engraving or copper-plate etching? It could be tied into a specific effect...just a thought that popped into my head. PM me Dr. Spektor.
Yikes! Ok Thamiel - hope you know a cost effective method ;) - better yet, just e-mail me since we already have that route open!!!
[quote]
On 2008-01-22 07:45, Dr Spektor wrote:

Alan Moore? That would be fantastic - however... how on earth can we get to him now that he is so big??? Anyone have an idea? If not, I'll go the ol' DC comics route and hope for the best...

One ethical issue... or maybe not... if he writes the forward, I can send him a copy of the book sans all methods etc.... as I don't think he is a magician (he is a magician of narrative.... hmmmm)....

Anyone else have ideas? I was also thinking Eugene Burger might be a good Foreward type of guy
[/quote]

I wouldn't go "the DC route"...I think Moore parted ways with them on bad terms!

Not sure if he's a magician-magician, but he does practice "Magick"... so who knows?

Burger would be great! Perhaps even more appropriate than Moore...
I think Eugene Burger would be excellent.
I have the original pen and ink drawing of St pauls and the London landscape "engraved in stone" by eddie campbell from the From Hell comics hanging in my living room.
I guess you could call me a Jack the ripper geek. If you want a high quality scan of the infamous From Hell letter go to my web page bloodyjack.com click on the Nightmare coins link then if you click on the little red devil on that page you get a 300 dots per inch jpg of the from hell letter.
Bloodyjack
Cheers for that mate - absolutely fantastic.Steve
[quote]
On 2008-01-23 15:18, bloodyjack wrote:
I guess you could call me a Jack the ripper geek.
[/quote]

You can't be a geek - as what does that make all of us ;)?

Thanks for the cool image!

Newsflash: Docc Hilford just contacted me to say he will be submitting an original routine written specially for this book...

YOWSA
[quote]
On 2008-01-23 15:18, bloodyjack wrote:
I have the original pen and ink drawing of St pauls and the London landscape "engraved in stone" by eddie campbell from the From Hell comics hanging in my living room.
I guess you could call me a Jack the ripper geek. If you want a high quality scan of the infamous From Hell letter go to my web page bloodyjack.com click on the Nightmare coins link then if you click on the little red devil on that page you get a 300 dots per inch jpg of the from hell letter.
[/quote]

! :) !

[quote]
On 2008-01-23 16:09, Dr Spektor wrote:

Newsflash: Docc Hilford just contacted me to say he will be submitting an original routine written specially for this book...

YOWSA
[/quote]

! :) !
After that bombshell, I can only offer little old me...dr. spektor - if you want to, please pm me with what kind of routine you'd want to plug any gaps and I'll see what I can russle up...

I'd rather do that, then send in stuff you might already have...

offer is there anyway...
I think the expression we're all searching for is, "ZOWWIE!!!!!"
Is the plan still to release this to contributors only?

I think we can spread it a (VERY limited!!!) bit more... It would be unfair to those who don't contribute, in my view... perhaps an extra 50 copies for the collectors?

Also- I'm seeing this as hardcopy only. Web based graphic extras are fine and good, but this has the feel of the feel of an important tome! A one of a kind work of art.
Yes, I would love to be able to get a copy...but, alas, I have contributed nothing.
I would love to contribute, but I have neither the time right now nor sufficient knowledge of old Jack.

Bill
Hi all!

Nononoo... it isn't just for contributors! This is to raise $ for women victims of violence.... not sure where that thought came from.... however, contributors will get first "crack" at the book....

i.e.

This will never be an e-book... and if it ever comes to be, I hope it isn't because one of us.

I plan to Andruzzi this book... as mentioned above... all the arcane dark look you'd expect.

100 numbered copies - and as the above posts have shown, will hopefully each be personalized in some way to make it unique. (Maybe I'll even name them :))

Contributors can buy the book at Cost, S&H to whereever they be, + whatever else they wish to add in for the charity (see the very first post of this thread). However, only one book per contributor at that price.

Non-contributors can buy the book at 4-5x the cost (or whatever makes sense once it is all priced out), + S&H.

I am debating about not just selling it to anyone with money, but developing some sort of screening questionairre of a "vouching" party from one of the contributors to say the buyer is a good egg. Maybe this sounds totally insane - but I for one am tired of seeing good work go to idjits who quickly scan the book and sell it for $1 on ebay or just P2P.... what do people think of that?

This book will not be sold through any stores, etc. It will be available by word of mouth for the devoted of the bizarre, arcane, and well... magic.

I plan to do the Yeti book in a similar way....

(Plus a 3rd book that is brewing in my mind :P)....

In terms of "preorders" - if the cost is not insanely onerous, I will outlay all the costs to get the books created and assembled with the crunchy bits. Having watched people get upset with preorders, then being disappointed at either long unexpected waits, or never receiving anything at all (and then either never hearing anything from the seller... or the person always saying "it is all taken care of bla bla").... no way for you! In anycase, I'll e-mail the contributors the base cost of books once I know... which won't be for a while until it is all created...(Oh if it is insanely costly, I may revise the plan a bit :))...

It will be a book and a CD rom (the CD rom.... there is so much material... what can't fit in the book will be in CD... )

------

So, what say ye?????
[quote]
On 2008-01-03 15:24, Dr Spektor wrote:

OK - seriously, here is what I propose - this will be a hard copy book +/- objects to go with it, done as a special collaboration. I will endevour to figure out a way to also make the pages difficult to photocopy.... [i]the only way to get this book is to somehow contribute to it[/i] (which will be determined....).... and there will be only one run of the books.

[/quote]

Must've misunderstood this part...good news, then!
As to "what say ye?"

The 11th commandment:
"Thou shall not sweat it!" (1st Chapter of Golashes - right after the passage about "Man can not live on hot dogs alone".

Lary
Well Tone, looks like I must of changed my mind along the way... and forgot to tell everybody - glad I didn't - got way more contributors (heheheh)...

Actually at the first post I think I was posting those suggestions to be responded to etc. as we went on it morphed into the current concept...

In anycase, the latest post is my latest concept based on feedback from you all! After all, no point being a project leader if you don't listen to the excellent advice of the contributors and experts in the field (i.e. the Spooky family!)

12th Commandment - Love they Bizarrist Neighbors and do on to them as you wish they do on to you
I will contribute a domain name, ftp access, and a unix- or windows-based web hosting space, whatever is best, prepaid for the next two years...sounds like an excellent project to be involved with!

Scott
Bruce,

Glad we're opening this up. I've had a couple of folks ask me about it. I just told them that they'd better get writing. Instead I'll just say, you'd better start saving some dough! October is a looooonnnnnggggg way away right now.

Mark
Pssssssst - tell them to write anyway - its probably good for them - like eating well and exercising - writing magic is good for the soul....
Oh yeah. Cramps the hand though.
No worries about webnames, space, etc. I have all that covered... have been owning a space for a while and never got around to using it... so now I got something to put up there...but thanks!

However, looking for some ESSAYS... love them ESSAYS... :P...

Seriously, for Abraxus's question and others - if you are attracted to this project - just reflect why, write something based on that - routine, essay, appendix useful info, art, whatever... and submit! There is no point telling you what to write as it will stifle your creative process...

(I hope the opening up to others the sale of the book besides contributors will act as a demotiver....)

End of the week, I'll post the update on what is planned to be in the final product so far...

-------

Oh yeah, all contributors - please don't forget to send me a small BIO paragraph!!!!

------
I'm thinking on it, don't give up on me yet. :)
[quote]
On 2008-01-23 22:48, Dr Spektor wrote:

-------

Oh yeah, all contributors - please don't forget to send me a small BIO paragraph!!!!

------
[/quote]

And have a photo of yourself ready...
It sounds as though you have everything in hand. Three cheers for Dr Spektor for organising this!

It would be very good if there were some way to personalize each copy in a way that served as a big deterrent to anyone scanning and uploading or sharing this through P2P, etc.
Bruce
I'm keen to offer an essay - write about what you know they say, so I can offer first hand expereince of living in Whitechapel for 6 years, and the legacy of Jack (even now old elevated 'tunnels' connected nursing home to main hospital, built because of the hysteria). Or anatomy and dissection! (Half-joke...I think...)
Any topics you'd like to be covered though?

BTW Doug Dyment currently has the re-edited version of "Mixed Message..." - should be submitted soon.

Exciting times guys - this project has really blossomed. Bravo Spector!
Hi Steve,

All the essays you mentioned would be more than welcome!

Also, in terms of personalizing it - I plan to keep a list of all buyers - and each book will be personalized... maybe not with a name of the person but "The WHitechapel" "The Elizabeth Stride" "The Lees" etc.

Also, I am going to check how much it costs to use paper that creates photccopy image issues.... such as certain legal documents used to be on.

I also will ask Kit about shading pages.. as well as the book makers on coloured paper that copying the page will come out murky...

Yep, this is a labour of insane love.

I know OCt 31st seems far away - but no point rushing a job you want done well. It should be done at a good pace.
So much great stuff seems to have happened since I last looked at this thread.....woo!

This whole thing has developed into quite a concept. I am hoping upon hope that I can get the final draft written for my small effect (and hopefully two).
Friday 25th January Update:

A tome of dark magic dealing with the mysteries associated with the Autumn of Terror, 1888

Proceeds of the book will be given to charity to support women victims of violence:

DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSIONS: FEBRUARY 28th 2008 MIDNIGHT

Note for contributions:

1) Nothing in it will aggrandize violence or Jack – although there are many fictions dealing with Jack, it is important to remember the Ripper murders were real and not fictitious and that this must be considered for what this book is about.

2) That the effects and material in the book are to be used or reflected on to understand that such sickness did exist and STILL DOES... and that society itself has some major issues promoting via media and hype violence (including serial killers and school shooters etc)... Jack was the first Media "star" killer... and he was never caught. He and the things associated with him are not just terror - they are aspects of real things in life.

3) I'll be framing any submissions with some psychological uses for education and meaning - as well as writing a section that some magic should not be used... i.e. magic has for a long time been equated with dexterity tricks etc... when in fact, magic skills have the dangerous potential to really shatter people. The effects in this book and the essays to go with it will explain that when using such heavy topics - one doesn't want to become a traumatizer oneself! Magic must be respected as one of the most powerful arts ever devised by humankind.

4) I'm an educator, deep down... and there is something about Jack that has stuck in history and popular culture because the mystery represents something we as people still struggle with - such as our own role in society and what should we be doing when we see insane games like GRAND THEFT AUTO emulating acts similar to Jack the Ripper? Putting our heads in the sand won't help... remember the goal of this book is to also raise charity funds for women victims of violence.

-----

Submitted

KOTAH

· A ton of files, ideas and tasty bits including a variety of graphics (like 1000 period photos and more – this man does not sleep)! (Inquest files, tons of period photos, Spring Heeled Jack, possessions of the dead victims, interesting bizarrities, (hey hey hey psychometry anyone???)…the works!!!!)

· Routine: Blood Money

· Poem: A Turning of the Key (Also, a routine for a haunted key)

· Poem: Cold Autumn Tragedy

John B. AKA Harelquin

Michael Fraughton

Jim Magus

Gene Poinc

Peter Marucci

Ed Solomon

· Routine: “Name Dropping”

· Essay: Do you know Jack?

Aidan / Fishwasher

Stefan Dardik

Mark Raven:

· Routine: The Eye of Mary Kelly (A Dark Museum masterpiece)

Dale A. Hildebrand

Marqus / Mark (not to be confused with Mark Walberg)

Balaram / Bill

Doc Steve

· Routine: Mixed Message (draft)

As Told By Traveler to T. Everett Bookings, III

· Routine: An Occurrence in Mubai

Created and to still be sent in (or translated!):

Hildebrandt, Dale A.

The Curator

· L’Orbe des Rêveurs (I’m translating it to English!)

· Four Pence (from Hauntiques - YAY!)

Doc Sheil (REALLY – I’m in the process of getting permission through his friend Quentin Reynolds)

· The Twilight Zonula

Dan (Of Lebanon Circle)

· A file full of original newspaper clippings regarding the Ripper murders

Works in progress:

Dr. Spektor / Bruce

· Routine: “One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th century"

· Routine: “Terroir of Terror: The Flavour of Fear”

· Routine: “From Hell(raiser)”

· Routine: “This Evil Undying”

· Routine: “Sickert’s Palette”

· Psychological bits and pieces for various contributions to the book to highlight important aspects of the human condition and allow readers to consider using the material for allowing people to use the magic for education and reflection as opposed to shock with no meaning (i.e. you can use the shock with no meaning to talk about the senseless nature of many traumas in the world)

Jim Magus / Spektor / KOTAH Essay

· Essay: Why Jack the Ripper is embedded in history and popular culture (Title to be confirmed)

Docc Hilford

· Mysterious piece being designed specially for this book!

Silverking /Blair

· Routine: No Title as yet but a Bloody Special Effect

Sibbie / Cayce

· Untitled card effect

Margarette:

· An Essay! (YAY!) TBD

Doug Higley

· Hilgey Art (hooray!)

Prof. Peabody / Jim

Danielle N.

· Essays and Art (YAY!!!)

Maybe Contributing….

Rumour: Mark Edward

· Tone - Art

. Doug H - Art

Doug Higley Artisan Creations AKA Grindshhow Discounts for select products (TBD)

This will never be an e-book... and if it ever comes to be, I hope it isn't because one of us.

100 numbered copies - personalized to make each unique.

Contributors can buy the book at Cost, S&H to whereever they be, + whatever else they wish to add in for the charity- However, only one book per contributor at that price.

Non-contributors can buy the book at 4-5x the cost (or whatever makes sense once it is all priced out), + S&H.

I am debating about not just selling it to anyone with money, but developing some sort of screening questionnaire of a "vouching" party from one of the contributors to say the buyer is a good egg. Maybe this sounds totally insane - but I for one am tired of seeing good work go to idjits who quickly scan the book and sell it for $1 on ebay or just P2P.... what do people think of that?

This book will not be sold through any stores, etc. It will be available by word of mouth for the devoted of the bizarre, arcane, and well... magic.
I spoke with Mark Edward a couple of nights ago, and he asked me about this project. I gave a very favorable report. I shall endeavor to get him to commit.
[quote]
On 2008-01-25 10:56, fraughton wrote:
I spoke with Mark Edward a couple of nights ago, and he asked me about this project. I gave a very favorable report. I shall endeavor to get him to commit.
[/quote]

Exellent! Oh, if the motivational techniques don't work - let him know we shall RELEASE THE HOUNDS (of Tindalos!)...
Hey, wait for me! I'm working on something!

Bill
...heck, you all still have until February 28th.... tick tick tick...
Regarding art submissions - feel free to send in any time - but once all the text is in, I'll ask the people who volunteered to perhaps do some specific pieces based on the submissions (such as the Demonic walking stick in Gene Poinc's routine...) so the deadline for art will be likely end of April.... I figure March-May will be sifting through the material, arranging it, editing and spell checking etc.... June-August layout etc. Sept-Oct gettting the books made... not sure if that is a realistic time-line but seems to make sense to me...
In the hope that this wonderful idea comes to fruition, a huge amount of thanks to Dr Spektor and all contributors. I hope I'm lucky enough to get a copy. If anyone visits London, check out the Jack The Ripper Walk.
First off, BUMP!

Secondly, a tangentially related film recommendation:

http://www.shadowsnake.com/market_place_films.html

This is "The Mindscape of Alan Moore" a film/interview with the creator of "From Hell" (the comic, not the Lebanon Circle effect, or the letter from Jack. . . though they're all related). It's a little over an hour of Alan talking about comics, psychedelia, pornography, culture, alchemy and religion. Quite fascinating stuff.

I think it was Alexandre who originally turned me onto this, but I just got it yesterday.

Mark
Thanks for the recomendation Mark.....sounds awesome
On a related note, has anyone performed the Curator's "Four Pence". I was considering working on it, but I am having a tough time finding an appropriate article to use for the effect.

Any suggestions on where to find a usable article?
I'm searching too. No luck yet. Just a matter of searching. . . and searching. . . and searching.
Did Alexandre opt out of the project? I do not see his routines listed in the latest summary--Surely we won't be missing "Jack the Ripper's Warning for Naughty Girls"? I am hoping this was a typo--?
Those are Annabelle routines - and she never gave permission to be used... Alexandre said she will contact me if interested

Note: Everyone contributing will retain all copyrights etc. I plan to make sure everyone is treated right - period. I won't let anythig into the book without the creator of a piece's say so...

Plus, I will make sure anything submitted isn't something that belongs to someone else before it gets in (to the best of my ability)....

So, if you want those things, bug Annabelle....
Current Update February 1st:

Proceeds of the book will be given to charity to support women victims of violence:

DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSIONS: FEBRUARY 28th 2008 MIDNIGHT

Note for contributions:

-----

Submitted

KOTAH

· A ton of files, ideas and tasty bits including a variety of graphics (like 1000 period photos and more – this man does not sleep)! (Inquest files, tons of period photos, Spring Heeled Jack, possessions of the dead victims, interesting bizarrities, (hey hey hey psychometry anyone???)…the works!!!!)

· Routine: Blood Money

· Poem: A Turning of the Key (Also, a routine for a haunted key)

· Poem: Cold Autumn Tragedy

· Poem: Bizarre Die-chotemy

· Poem: Death in the Guise of Man

· Essay: Judge for Yourself

John B. AKA Harelquin

Michael Fraughton

Jim Magus

Gene Poinc

Peter Marucci

Ed Solomon

· Routine: “Name Dropping”

· Essay: Do you know Jack?

Aidan / Fishwasher

Stefan Dardik

Mark Raven:

· Routine: The Eye of Mary Kelly

Dale A. Hildebrand

Marqus / Mark

Balaram / Bill

Doc Steve

· Routine: Mixed Message

· Routine: An Occurrence in Mubai

Bill Ligon

· Routine: Polly Nichols’s Child

The Curator / Christian C

· Story: L’Orbe des Rêveurs (Translated to English by me…eeek)

· Routine: Four Pence (from Hauntiques)

Doug Higley

Sibbie / Cayce

· Routine: Trip to Miller’s Court

Created and to still be sent in (or translated!):

Hildebrandt, Dale A.

Doc Sheil (REALLY – I’m in the process of getting permission through his friend Quentin Reynolds)

· The Twilight Zonula

Dan (Of Lebanon Circle)

· A file full of original newspaper clippings regarding the Ripper murders

Works in progress:

Dr. Spektor / Bruce

· Routine: “Terroir of Terror: The Flavour of Fear”

· Routine: “From Hell(raiser)”

· Routine: “This Evil Undying”

· Routine: “Sickert’s Palette”

· Psychological bits and pieces for various contributions to the book to highlight important aspects of the human condition and allow readers to consider using the material for allowing people to use the magic for education and reflection as opposed to shock with no meaning (i.e. you can use the shock with no meaning to talk about the senseless nature of many traumas in the world)

Docc Hilford

· Mysterious piece being designed specially for this book!

Silverking /Blair

Margarette:

· An Essay! (YAY!) TBD

Prof. Peabody / Jim

Danielle N.

· Essays and Art (YAY!!!)

Mark Edward

· TBD!!! But something nice and eerie!!!

· Tone – Art

· Higley - Art

I am thinking about a Jack the Ripper application, but nothing as dramatic as some of the titles suggest. I came to it because I need a Death-themed routine. I am assembling a show, "Life, Death, and Reincarnation". I have Reincarnation in the form of my "Realm of the Pharaohs", which is inspired by Chelman's Psychostasy.

So I might have something before the end of February.
Hi Bill!

That is excellent - I know you sent me that wonderful piece to read a long time ago "Realm of the Pharaohs"... and it was genius (like pretty much anything I've ever seen from you!)...

And it doesn't have to be dramatic - but one of the interesting things about the Jack factor is if you slap his name into something - it raises the effect into darkness... my routine "The 5th Victim" is basically a reworking of a 4 ace assembly and 1 billet switch - the premise being can a "card trick" scare the bejezus out of someone....
Just for reference: a new illustrated "adult" comic series with some great artwork and historic research.
http://www.transfuzion.biz/ripperlegacy.htm
Might I ask if the "Dear Boss" bloody hand letter, which I understand is explained in Keith Lack's Prestidigitator's Handbook (which I do not own) is the same formula found in the effect: The Red Handed League in Tony Shiel's Thirteen (which I do own)?

Not asking for the method, just wonder if it's the same.

Thanks!

Looking forward to editing some copy soon.

Andre
Doctor,

I have a routine by Larry White titled simply, "Jack". I made the props he suggests and I use it quite a lot. He may be willing to contribute it to this project.

Let me know if you need his email address.

Marqus
Hi Marqus - feel free to invite him aboard! I'll follow up with an e-mail if you PM me it.
Deadline - around 2 weeks away - then the doors are shut
Tick tock, tick tock, tick tock
[quote]

Question... what would be a sinister book mark? Besides a red ribbon...

Anyone have an idea how to convert a nice 1880s coin into a sinister bookmark?

Dr Spektor - how about a coin shell, probably the larger the better and glued to the top inside of the shell is a thin compact fabric, that when unfolded will make a strip and also hide the coin. The fabic itself can be stained with blood - red stain - or marked with mystic symbols or both.

- Stefan Dardik
A penny dated 1888 or perhaps a hapenny , tu[pence or thrupence that the victims would have carried- it was that lack of payment for a room that led to some unfortunate incidents. Maybe tie the coin into stopping an event. Maybe the coin finds the perpetrator- Random thoughts from an amateur Ripperologist.
Stefan- a piece of leather could be sinister, cured, dried skin, er, possibly not cow??

I realize it's too late to change the title, but how about
"A ripping time in Whitechapel"?
Ouch! Sorry, as much as I like comedy - this book won't treat the subject matter lightly :) - however, if anyone wants to write an essay on attempting to use comedy and horror - that would be good... I have no time... but a classic example is the Kolchak formula of horror punctuated by humour during the "safe" scenes...

OK, anyone also have a source for buying bulk 1880s penny farthings :)???
[quote]
On 2008-02-25 20:54, Dr Spektor wrote:
OK, anyone also have a source for buying bulk 1880s penny farthings :)???
[/quote]

Do you mean those weird old bikes?
Nope... the coins... put Penny Farthing bikes are cool too....

Cue: THE PRISONER theme opener.... (thunder)...do doo doo de doo doo....
I was under the impression that a poster here was looking into making some 1888 farthings available to us; but I have heard nothing further concerning it

Kotah
Almost final line-up: If you don't see your name and you submitted something - PM/e-mail queeek. I'm letting those who expressed an interest and began some projects a few more weeks grace... then I have to close the door and get to mixing, clipping, expanding etc. the thing into shape!

Lastly - all contributors - please send me a small BIOSKETCH in WORD puh-leeeze!!!

Here we go:

-----

KOTAH

• A ton of files, ideas and tasty bits including a variety of graphics (like 1000 period photos and more – this man does not sleep)! (Inquest files, tons of period photos, Spring Heeled Jack, possessions of the dead victims, interesting bizarrities, (hey hey hey psychometry anyone???)…the works!!!!)

• Routine: Incident at Mitre Square

• Routine: Once Writ

• Routine: Goulston Street Graffito

• Routine: Some Believe

• Routine: “T’was Thomas Bowyer, Found her”

• Routine: Dark Eucharist

• Routine: Blood Money

• Routine: Eye of the Ripper

• Routine: What Length?

• Poem: A Turning of the Key (Also, a routine for a haunted key)

• Poem: Cold Autumn Tragedy

• Poem: Bizarre Die-chotemy

• Poem: Death in the Guise of Man

• Essay: Judge for Yourself

• Essay: “A Phantom Then and Now” – an overview of the case

• Appendix: The King’s English – glossary of terms used in the era

John B. AKA Harelquin

• Routine: The Ripper’s Blade

Michael Fraughton

• Routine: The Red Jack Dark Séance

Jim Magus

• Routine: Grue (Séance)

Gene Poinc

• Routine: “A Gentleman’s Companion”

Peter Marucci

• Routine: “Staying the Ripper’s Hand”

Ed Solomon

• Routine: “Name Dropping”

• Essay: Do you know Jack?

Aidan / Fishwasher

• Routine: Will the Real Jack Please Stand Up

Stefan Dardik

• Routine: “That Which Survives”

Mark Raven:

• Routine: The Eye of Mary Kelly

Dale A. Hildebrand

• Routine: The Red Light District

• Routine: Yet Another Ripper Effect

Marqus / Mark

• Routine: From Hell

Balaram / Bill

• Routine: Mary’s Window

Doc Steve

• Routine: Long Liz’s Lessons

• Routine: Mixed Message

• Essay: Whitechapel in the 13th Century

Kevin Marshall and Doc Steve

• Appendix (ouch): Making the Cut (Anatomy Lessons (nice and gruesome)

Bill Fienning and Jon Aase

• Routine: Finding Jack’s Victim

• Routine: An Occurrence in Mubai

Bill Ligon

• Routine: Polly Nichols’s Child

The Curator / Christian C

• Story: L’Orbe des Rêveurs (Translated to English by me…eeek)

• Routine: Four Pence (from Hauntiques)

Mark Edwards

• Routine: Ripper (séance)

Doug Higley

• Story: Mirror, Mirror

Sibbie / Cayce

• Routine: Trip to Miller’s Court

Dan (Of Lebanon Circle)

• A file full of original newspaper clippings regarding the Ripper murders

Larry White

• Routine: Jack

Thomas Baxter

• Appendix: Jack the Ripper Psychological Profile

Dr. Spektor / Bruce

• Routine: “One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th century'': an intimate evening of terror

• Routine: “Terroir of Terror: The Flavour of Fear”

• Routine: “Visions of Hell” (Yes, that Robert Lees theme I babbled about)

• Routine: “The 5th Victim”

• Routine: “From Hell(raiser)”

• Routine: “This Evil Undying”

• Routine: “Sickert’s Palette”

• The framing introduction

• Psychological bits and pieces for various contributions to the book to highlight important aspects of the human condition and allow readers to consider using the material for allowing people to use the magic for education and reflection as opposed to shock with no meaning (i.e. you can use the shock with no meaning to talk about the senseless nature of many traumas in the world)

To be nailed down or polished:

• The Twilight Zonula

• Essay: Why Jack the Ripper is embedded in history and popular culture (Title to be confirmed)

Docc Hilford

• Mysterious piece being designed specially for this book!

MIA???? – I’m keeping the door open for these people for the next few weeks only because they already expressed interest and had starting working on projects… and I’d love to have them aboard:

Dave B.

• Mysterious routine

Silverking /Blair

• Routine: No Title as yet but a Bloody Special Effect 

Margarette:

• An Essay TBD

Prof. Peabody / Jim

• Routine / Essay: Unknown (maybe Masonic (yay!))

Danielle N.

• Essays and Art

Tony Eye

• Routine: Jack the Snipper

A remarkable collaboration! Nothing quite like this in the realm of magic. The best bizarre minds on a single subject. This will be a classic!

Andre
More excellent news - I just received a personal letter from Dr. Sheils (yep, old style non-email.... fun!)... signed with his magic insignia we all love.... he gave me permission to use any work of his for this project... so TWILIGHT ZONULA is in as is anything else Jack related (I think there is a Spring Heel about... got to go through ye olde books)...

He did also say that we need some women contributors... things are unbalanced and that I should therefore start sawing some of the men in half :)... love his dark humour!
Hey-

Don't forget the fact that I'll at the very least be doing illustrations of the contributors!

So - I need pics along with the bios if possible.

Let me know if I can do anything else!
Doc Hilford just submitted a sinister dark piece entitled "Cold Sweat"
:bat:

The Gates to Hell are now closed for text... once the material is reviewed and shaped, I'll be figuring out some art assignments ;)
SOUNDS LIKE A CLASSIC IN THE MAKING...GOOD LUCK...I WOULDA JOINED IN, BUT JACK WASNT INITIATED INTO VODOU, I don't THINK. SORRY....
DON'T WORRY BABA! I AM SURE WE'LL COLLABORATE ON SOMETHING ELSE IN THE NEAR FUTURE - LIKE MAYBE 'THE WITCH DOCTOR KIT'....? (SERIOUSLY... PM ME...)
That sounds like something more up my alley... :)
The more the merrier, Damien ;)
Indeed... look forward to it!
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,23384112-401,00.html

[quote]DOCUMENTS locked away since Jack the Ripper's 1888 murders are set to be shown to the public for the first time.

Unreleased, hand-written accounts by police and witnesses, sketches of suspects and files first kept by Scotland Yard, then housed in London's National Archives, will go on display in London in May.

Exhibition co-curator Alex Werner said people were now ready for the truth.

"There have been lots of books and films, but never a major exhibition on the subject," Mr Werner said.

"In the past, it has been left to the likes of waxworks such as Madame Tussauds and the London Chamber of Horrors.

"It has never really been seen as something for a museum to treat seriously, and it's a very gory subject.

"But the time is right to do a serious take on the subject."

Mr Werner said that in Australian terms, it would be like rediscovering Ned Kelly.

Reports found in the archives are in mint condition, and give a tantalising view of the attitudes and fears of the time.

"PC Neil reports at 3.45am, 31st (August) he found a dead body of a woman lying on her back with her clothes a little above her knees," states one police account dating from the time of the murders.

Another gives a graphic description of how a victim's throat "was cut from ear to ear" with detailed description from a later mortuary report.

"They are absolutely amazing," exhibition co-curator Julia Hoffbrand said.

"They are written on the day each woman was found, so as a step-by-step account you get a real sense of what's happening.

"The documents bring home the fact that these are real people and real events - they are very moving."

Mr Werner said police files clearly stated that Jack the Ripper killed five prostitutes in or near Whitechapel over a 10-week period between August and November, 1888.

Some popular literature records there having been more killings, but this may have been courtesy of the tabloid press at the time inciting fear and reporting fiction as fact.

The letter signed with the name Jack the Ripper, the first to give a name to the murderer and sent to the central news agency at the time, was potentially a fake written by a journalist.

The files show police had gathered 170 names as suspects, including the Duke of Clarence and prominent barrister Montague John Druitt, but the murders were never solved.

"So what we are displaying is really the archival evidence, the originals to allow the public for the first time to see the surviving records on display," Mr Werner said of the exhibition, which opens in London on May 15.

As well as the police reports and files, the Museum in Docklands has gathered disturbing photographs, taken by the Salvation Army and until now unseen by the public, of the East End, which place the depressed, poverty-stricken area in the context of the time. [/quote]
Hi, I'm a new member of the forum and just stumbled on this project thread and I'm fascinated by it.

I'm not sure what the status on this is, but it looks like this project might be quite large and since it's for charity I wanted to offer to help with any editing/copyediting tasks that might still be ongoing. I'm probably too much of an amateur to be of much help with the magic, but I do have extensive experience as an editor and writer (google my user name with spaces between J F and Q and you'll most likely find some representative work) and also with production quality control (my day job) so if there's any help I can be on that front, I'd like to offer my services. In any case I hope that I can pass muster to be one of the people lucky enough to donate to the charity in order to get one of the non-contributor copies.
Just came across the thread myself.
I work in the district the murders took place so if anyone needs any current day photos etc for this, or any other help - there is a musuem in the building I work in for the area - not sure what is in it but can certainly go see - just let me know.

A blatent ploy to try to get involved in this I know!!

I was asking on magicbunny.co.uk about Ripper effects just the other day.

Good luck with it and do please contact me if you need anything!

J?
Oh I'll also add that I live around the corner to where Mary Kelly was buried in a common grave - St Patrick's Roman Catholic Cemetary.

J?
Also, one thing I'll point out for ripperologists interesting in magic, lots of coin shops have cheap large english pennies from victorias rule. I bought twenty from the coin shop in the pike place market in seattle for 10 bucks, and got a good sample with Queen Vic's face on them from the 1880s.
Due to a dream I had last night - which involved the end of the universe - I have decided to abandon this project -I erased all the files and will never post on this subject again.

Sorry, but it was that or all of us going up in flames.

(Psssst - don't worry - the above is based on an ancient ritual involving the passage of Earth around the sun and the alignment of stars to calculate an important temporal event.... in fact, the numberless card of the Tarot speaks volumes of this issue)
Yeah, it was a dumb idea anyway...
In the words of the Mighty Sage, Mr T: "*** Fool!"

And from the ancient recording of life in the future where a sun has a corporeal existance: "Burn with me..."

J?
Any updates on the project? I'm anxious to do my part in editing/proofreading either piecemeal or when all contributions are completed.

Just curious.

Andre
Shhhh! Don't worry.
Thank you dear Doctor for saving our lives !

K
The Band Of The Hand manuscript also contains a number of effects circling around the eerie persona of Jack the Ripper. It's a Docc Hilford material though, and you know what that means. :(

Alel
No, what does it mean?
Uh-oh...
BotH is my favourite Hilford book.
Murder by Mail is worth the price of admission alone.
I must agree DocSteve, Murder by Mail is indeed worth the price.

Alel
...or the Nightmare Coins.

It really disturbed the Wife.
Don't underestimate a bottle of swamp water
Who ever gave Andre the idea that I didn't want him editing the Ripper book, must have been drinking swamp water. PLease do not interpret my posts for me. if there are doubts/ misinterpretations; people can PM me toclarify any posting.
SO what did I say? Andre Hagen is exactly the sort of caring, qualfied gentleman for the job!

Any questions?

Kotah
Huh what post are you talking about???
Doctor,

A local magician friend read the following posts which appeared in sequence, and came to the misguided conclusion that Kotah did not want me to work on the book.

Ron and I have known each other many years. He came to my defense and I thank him for that.

--------------------------------

[quote]
On 2008-04-28 09:34, Andre Hagen wrote:
Any updates on the project? I'm anxious to do my part in editing/proofreading either piecemeal or when all contributions are completed.

Just curious.

Andre
[/quote]

[quote]
On 2008-04-28 10:08, Dr Spektor wrote:
Shhhh! Don't worry.
[/quote]

[quote]
On 2008-04-28 15:11, KOTAH wrote:
Thank you dear Doctor for saving our lives !

K
[/quote]
Hi guys,
Due to work pressures I think I missed the deadline for submitting material for the Ripper project.

I was watching an old Tony Andruzzi video a few months ago and was intrigued by his effect using a cut-throat razor. These razors always freak me out and make me think of the Ripper. I decided to make up a blade that was retractable so that it could look like it slices into things, kinda like the knife thru arm type effects.

I've called the apparatus "Sweeney's Revenge" but I want to make sure I've not "ripped off" any existing magic effects.
I'd welcome any comments about this and if you want to see the razor it's on our website at magicurios- won't be able to post a link 'cause I don't want to get deleted.

Thanks,
Simon
MC
I'm not an expert, but the razor you describe certainly sounds intriguing. Straight razors always look as deadly as they can be. Blackheart in the UK makes and sells an impressive razor ehich leaves a trail of blood. Your version sounds uniqie. sweeney Todd was a popular play in london during jacl The rippers rampage. A story concerning Sweeney also appeared in the Penny Dreadful pulp publications of the era.

Kotah
Hey Simon - e-mail me whatever :)
Thanks for you comments Kotah, I have tried to get closer to showing actual cutting of an ear, finger or hand and then given the performer the option of having the razor inspected.

I also decided to release it in a wooden chest. Someone has already suggested that this chest be self opening like we do with our haunted keys which I think gives great possibilities to a ghost story/psychic investigation type story.

Bruce, are you saying it's not too late to submit something?

Simon
Hey Scolman, I was just looking at the demo video for that the other day. it's very impressive. I did have one question about it if you don't mind answering it here: How much control does the performer have over the amount of blood? On the site I think it says there's a bloodless presentation, is there a way to amp up the blood or just do a small trickle with the effect? Or is it more of a with blood, without blood choice?
Simon, do you have a link where your razor may be seen? I would live to get a look at it. Thankyou .

Kotah
Here you go Ron:

http://www.magicurios.com/sweeneys-revenge.html

Guess I have to start saving my pennies again.
JF,
The blood can splatter out if you so wish. I didn't use much on the demo as it gets to some people.
The one I perform myself ends with my whole hand covered in blood. You put in as much as you want out.

I want to get some of these out into the market so people can get some reviews going so if someone wants a reviewer special, send me a PM.

Its good to be back in the Café after a year or so. I forgot how much there is to learn here.

Simon
Gone for a year Simon? Sweeney's Revenge looks like a real winner. Hopefully I'll have an order in for it soon. Glad to see you back on. -JAlenS-
Dr Spektor - How is the book coming along?
Yeah, I want to build a website for it ! ;)

Maybe I could setup a blog for it or something for updates?
Sadly things are a bit behind the times due to fatherhood, changes at day job, and a ton of must-do projects... so realistically, I would say this book will not be in time for Halloween... but on the bright side - as I PM'd some, I was thinking to launch it with a bunch of other bizarre charity project items in the summer of 2009 at a special gathering up North.... and then some people can get it there and I'll mail out the rest (once I figure out the price)....

But it will come... and the bright side.... no preorders, no money down etc. so keep smiling ;)... I plan to pay as much as the up-front costs as possible.
I am sure it will be worth the wait. Sharp stories with an edge. Hopefully readers will get - the point.

- Jack
October is less than two hours away and I was just thinking about this. I look forward to it being produced.

Dr. Spektor, is there anything that needs to be done that some of us can help with?
Patience - although it is time for art - if anyone has the ability to draw old style 'The Strand' style art ala Sherlock Holmes B&W - that would be cool. Although I have gathered a lot of royaltyfree and freeware pics - it would be cool to illustrate the book with MC member art - I have some like the amazing Doug Higley's piece for his contribution story...

But otherwise, its all patience. It shall be coming before Cthulhu wakes up!
Bruce, someone on the news during the start of the financial melt down here in the US; said AIG had tentaciles which extended to businesses and banks in many countries over seas. Cthulhu may already be awake !!

Kotah
Cthulhu wouldn't stoop so low... maybe some cultists tho'
.. and once you have some artwork that can be used for the book, let me know and I can put up a page for this project...

perhaps a little blog-type thingy where updates can be posted and interest gathered for the project ;)

//Micke
I would love to own a book like this.

Is there an email list to join to get updates?

Also, Dr. Spektor, if you could PM me about contacting Docc Hilford, that would be great. I can not find anyway of contacting him on the web.
Hey James - its me - Bruce - y'know.... the dreaded David Ben days...!!!

If you PM me an e-mail, I'll fire it to him so he can decide to contact you - I can't give it out :)

As for updates, now that the Halloween season is done I can get back to work on this - it is compiled and I'm just shaping it a bit and then comes the editing - so I believe the summer is still a go!

(James, you finally came to Spooky - the ultimate friendly forum!!!)
ETA, Summer 2009... bound in leather... sorry its taking so long but I am making sure all premissions are in place, having to recopy things not in e-form, and other stuff... and there is no way I am making this a 1/2 assed product. At least, no preorder $ so don't worry be happy.

In the meantime, Beware the Ides of March... other dark and terrible things you will enjoy are coming.... because.... yes, its true... THE STARS ARE RIGHT!!!!!!!

Ia!
You are killing me with this waiting...
... and when can I start building that darn website for it ? ;)
A shame I have to wait till summer :\

I recieved the following assingment in Historical Inquiry and thought it might be fun to nab a few of my classmates to do an effect or two on.... Yes, I know there are plenty effects out there, but this is already near the top of my list of stuff to spend money on.

[quote]On http://www.casebook.org, a website devoted to Jack the Ripper, under the heading of "Press Reports," you will find transcriptions of artiles that appeared in The Pall Mall Gazette durign teh falla nd early witner of 1888-9. Please read the articles at each of the 55 linkes. Then, write a 1-2 page narrative summary of the articles[/quote]

Yes, the project is really pathetic, but it's an excuse to tie school + hobby together. Now, if only this book had a few children's routines, then I could justify it as a school + hobby + work ultimate doom trifecta. Though, I somehow doubt k-6 parents would appriciate me teaching their children about Jack.
In Patricia Cornwell's book, Portrait of a Killer, she makes a compelling circumstantial case for the identity of Jack the Ripper. She identifies him as artist Walter Richard Sickert.

The ISBN is 0-425-19273-3.
And I am happy to say I have a really sicko routine I have personally concocted in the book called "Sickert's Pallete"... a design duplication people have died for ... ehhehe
[quote]
On 2009-01-15 22:57, Bill Fienning wrote:
In Patricia Cornwell's book, Portrait of a Killer, she makes a compelling circumstantial case for the identity of Jack the Ripper. She identifies him as artist Walter Richard Sickert.

The ISBN is 0-425-19273-3.
[/quote]
She's most definitely been debunked by the Ripper pundits as a poor researcher, and taken to drawing huge leaps of faith in the void that is actual evidence..........the less polite would say much of the book was a fabrication.

"The Complete History of Jack the Ripper" by Philip Sugden remains the text of choice for either first time buyers, or those looking for hard core facts.......and the most often recommended by Ripper experts outside of the magic world.
It's certainly the first read that anybody planning on doing any Ripper magic should pick up and read to the point of memorizing the names and locations in which the canonical murders took place.
It's also a good idea to have authentic answers for the 10 or 15 most common questions laymen will ask after an effect like "From Hell" or similar........these facts are also best memorized from the Sugden book.

In Sugden's book, there is no firm suggestion as to whom Saucy Jack might have really been......and that remains the solid statement of the hard core Ripperologists for whom "everything Jack" is [i]their[/i] hobby, whereas ours is magic.
But what would be our number 1 choice if we simply HAD to put money on the table? At gunpoint if necessary!
I'd vote Tumbletee.
The nice thing in the upcoming boojk is there are a bunch of routines that employ almost every suspect... so you can take your pick.... or choice cut.
"New" DNA testing in Australia shows that it might be a woman killer.
We got women too
In my research of the Ripper case; I arrived at two suspects, neither of whom had been named before. Tgeir names and my reasoning is given in the book Bruce will be releasing. Som leaps of faith, but not as far fetched as Cornwell naming Sickert. HE was very strange indeed, but his painting of a String Of pearls could just as well been inspired by the Penny Dreadful pulp story about Sweeney Todd, by the same name. When the book is done, feel free to debunk my conclusions as you see fit. I will not tip my final surprising choice here on this forum.

Kotah
Hah! Kotah, I can't wait! "Final surprising choice" really grabs my attention!

Bill
The convenient fact about Jack the Ripper is that the case is likely never to be solved with certainty. The forensic techniques necessary did not exist at the time, and the evidence was not preserved properly to allow modern techniques to be applied now.

Moreover, the Ripper may have been obscure person not on any suspect list. Thus, it is unlikely that such a person's DNA is available after so many years or that, since he (or she) was not a suspect, the necessary DNA would even be sought for testing.

It is the perfect source for a bizarrist-type story.

Since the complete pattern will never be unraveled, we can attribute additional murders (of the time) to the Ripper; no one can say that the Ripper did not kill more often than we think.
Brother Fienning, all of your comments and observations ring quite true.

Will the identity of the Ripper ever be known? Is it possible? What closure can it bring ? The quest alone draws us to the case as the moth is to the flame.

Kotah
Question gang:

Rather than an aged old book with clasps etc.... how is this:

A book Box.... that is eerie, bloody and mystical (and maybe can be customed up to do some magic effects) and within the box is a series of manuscripts... maybe aged paper but the text readable etc. of various mystic effects, case files, and strange goodies within. Heck, ala Luke Jermay, maybe we can tie a ribbon on some... the goodies inside will assist with some effects.

I was thinking how much I like the concept of the Astonishment project (9 DVDs, goodies in a puzzle box (alas, not a LeMarchand type))... and why not do a bizarre version.... it will also drive nuts the copy pirates hahahaah!

I know Simon and I could make this very eerie....

(If you like this concept, this can also be done for the possible Lov.Cer. project although I have a concept for a removable cover that might be good for special effects (book pages all go blank etc.)....
I like the idea of a book box for the ripper project. It'll lend itself very well to the entire feel of the effect. Having each manuscript broken down would be really neat. I love the idea of having "case files" and other strange goodies w/it.

On an aisde, I don't like this concept for the Lov.Cer. project, I'm really looking foward to having the lovecraftian ceremonies as a usuable altar book.
Sounds good to me!

Bill
While I love the idea, the price is probably going to be prohibitive for me.
I love the idea of a book box!
Hmmm... could do a range of offers with it maybe - normal box versus gimmick box, goodies versus no goodies, etc...

Also, contributors such as yourself will get some special deal...

As pricing for the leather-like book hand bound is pretty pricey anyway - so I figured for the same costs make it more friendly and usable...

Hmmm...
This is your baby from start to finish, the choices on what to do should be yours as well. My concern is, how far back will changing horses in mid stream puch the release date back October came and went, seems an eon ago.

That is my opinion for what it's worth.

Kotah
I agree with Brother Kotah. I trust your judgment about what's best for this project Dr.....although the box idea does sound nice.
Heck, the second born and other things threw a wrench in the plans - and as mentioned before, I'm aiming for summer... and remember, no prepay on anything... or at least this will go into a mythic status - but I will get it to you before you realize...

Plus, a book is a book - now it will be something a little more interesting...

As for contributors worrying about getting their pieces out... you are always free to submit it elsewhere in the meantime - many of the pieces in this collection are reprints of rare and not so rare pieces... and since I'm doing this all pretty much for free too (as this is gonna be a charity project - base expenses)... c'mon... I refuse to rush a project for just getting it out versus getting it right...
I think the book box idea is very creative.

This all sounds so great! I just hope that I can afford this when it becomes available.

But I DO WANT IT!!!
No worries, Bruce. It's all good. Take your time. Do it right.
Absence makes the heart grow fonder......so I suppose that also works for waiting for something like this!
I'm also with KOTAH--my personal authorization to you, Dr. Spektor, to make all creative design decisions as you see them. Amen.
Sounds like a huge preject! good luck! count me in! :O)
Ummm, now I feel like an *** for giving input...note to self speak not before those who are wiser and more experianced than yourself.

Yeah, ignore everything I said, totally your call Dr Spek
Brother Myrsolon, I would say that, at least here in Spooky, all opinions and thoughts are welcomed and needed. Nothing would kill Bizarre Magic quicker than lockstep mono- agreement. You certainly do not need to appologize and you are absolutely not an ***. I believe your contributions have been more valuable than you think.
Yep, Spooky IMHO is the best of the best for actual true magician comraderie and collaboration.... the flip side of the coin..... being a forum associated with a coin
From my point of view: no hurry (take all the time you require), and I'm curious to see what form it takes. I have no real need for this project to take any particular form.

I enjoy reading input from all as the needs/desires others can only inspire me.
Hi Dr Spektor :)

Whichever way it comes, I know it will be special, and that's MORE than worth waiting for.

Best
ML :)
Are we still waiting?
[quote]
On 2010-02-21 14:34, Magicmike1949 wrote:
Are we still waiting?
[/quote]

Yep!

It´s the project most wanted!
Is the clock still ticking? I, for one, would love to see this finished...any idea when it might come to fruition? Please PM me with details...

Lee
Go read the Carcosa Collection threads - you'll see some answers there.

Cryptic me.
Did this get released in any form?