(Close Window)
Topic: Confabulation Lottery Video Clip
Recently I saw a clip of a young magician performing this routine. I forgot to book mark it and am unable to locate it and of course I don't remember the magician's name. He was wearing a black leather jacket and the clip was promotional in nature. (Ie. I didn't see it on youtube - I believe it was from a website.)

Great routine...has anyone here have any idea of what I'm referring to?

Edited - he did a lottery approach. Had different numbers called out and then pulled a lottery ticket from his pocket with those numbers. The unusual aspect was he didn't appear to be writing anything down but who knows with editing and such.

Has anyone seen this clip that I am referring to?
You might be talking about Nate Stnaiforth my friend.

could this be it haha

http://youtube.com/watch?v=4CE7_BD6aGg

:D
That was awesome.

Ezzet
I must say it was wonderful!
That is killer. I love that it is folded and in his wallet.

Does anyone know if the is a published effect?

Nick
Slick....
It's my understanding that this is nathan's effect, and respectfully believe it should stay that way. Be inspired!
It's Great!!!
I have wathed his dvd named "Spellbinder" but it is about street magic
on his website
http://natestaniforth.com/index2.php
there is a new dvd released.i think I will get a copy

Best,
Richard
Now the spoiler opinion...
The video shows a ultra clean prediction that's a real fooler (although I think a careful viewing should answer any questions you have), but honestly, how entertaining was it? I have to admit I found myself fast forwarding through it just to see the end. That's not a good sign for such a short video.

Seems like some audiences wouldn't put up with such a minimalist performance.
"but honestly, how entertaining was it? I have to admit I found myself fast forwarding through it just to see the end. That's not a good sign for such a short video.

Seems like some audiences wouldn't put up with such a minimalist performance."

I have to disagree he got a great standing applause for his opening effect, I believe he accomplished what few can.
Suspectacts, Im with yah on that one. Its slow. Why have a confabulation with out reason and suspense. As Uri said on Phenomenon, We all knew what was coming Gerry!
Then you can't help but ask yourself this question. What sets this apart from Copperfield's Lottery Vision? (Besides the obvious car appearance)

If it is slow and "predictable" (is that a pun in this context?) - then it is because we DO know what is coming. We know there could be no reason he is gathering these numbers but only to have them predicted. We don't know for sure - but throughout the entire performance we're saying to ourselves "He is gonna pull those numbers outta somewhere"

The difference in my opinion? Copperfield has his "prediction" hanging from the rafters from the beginning of the performance. A big ritual is made of it. But the audience already knows its there, thus, taking the guesswork "Where is he going to produce his prediction?" We know longer have to play detective because its all been laid out for us. Allowing the audience to fully follow and enjoy the effect.

You could also argue that Nate's is "drawn out and slow" because there is no emotional hook to it because we're not invested as audience members as to why he kept that lottery ticket even if it lost. Now that is not 100% as the video cuts in pretty directly to the random audience members, but as the video allows we do not see much in the way of character motivation, story, emotion, connection to what he's doing.

All that said - I really enjoyed watching the routine. Sure - it wasn't motivated throughout its duration. But I really enjoyed the simplicity and directness of it to an extent. I mean - if we really could read minds - not everyone would be a nicely dressed, articulate, and suave performer and some decide to take it to that minimalist spectrum. Bravo.

I don't know if any of that made sense; I just felt compelled to comment. Thanks for reading!
That's the one. Thanks a lot.

Killer effect. Audience looked entertained and it seemed to work really well as an opening effect.
Its only predictable to us. I'm sure a majority of that audience had no idea what was up. Which is exactly what made it suspenseful.

I doubt a bunch of those audience members (assuming they weren't a bunch of magicians - as they weren't sitting there with wooden expressions on their faces that pretty much proves they weren't)were sitting there going, "Oh how boring he is going to pull a lottery ticket out of his wallet with these exact numbers we are calling out on it."
I thought it was a great effect. I thought there was room for a little comedy or extra presentation. But it got a standing ovation in a packed theatre. Therefore it was very sucessful.
I thought it was presented really nicely, it wasn't slow, it was relaxed. The audience were enjoying themselves, you could tell that by the laughter at the fun moments. Magicians and mentalists are joyless.

Very nice work. I liked it.
I agree I thought he had good stage presence. I just thought he could've interacted a little more with the big guy on the stage but that's just my style.

But its the reaction that dictates wether something works and it worked.

I thought the effect itself was excellent.
I hope my post above was not taken in the wrong context. I was trying to say to the ones who posted that it was "slow and drawn out" - that it was so because we DID know what was coming . We are joyless as practitioners of deception. haha

I guess I tried to analyze it theatrically as an actor and not as a magician/mentalist.

If you check out his other videos - he seems to be most effective in that very down-to-earth simplicity in character. I, for one, would certainly like to take in one of his performances
That is a real actor way of looking at things "simplicity in character" I thought he was just being himself which really is the only way. I never understood those that go on about developing a character you were born with one. that's all you need.
Superb clip. Thanks for that.
"We" knew what was coming but the audience did not. He did his effect for the audience and the audience loved it. From what I see he did his "job" perfectly. Maybe we shouldn't be making effects to amaze magicians...mentalists....ETC: and make effects to amaze the audience. Lets face it "people pay us to be amazed. Magicians (for the most part) don't pay to see our shows.

Also I loved it.
An Excellent performance in front of a packed crowd!
If I could perform only one effect, this will be the one. AMAZING
Message: Posted by: Christophercarter (Jan 10, 2008 11:23AM)
It's a tremendous effect. As clean as can be. I prefer it to Copperfield's.

--Chris
He did have a huge crowd, yeah
Loved the lottery ticket printed out the way it was! amazing
Jeff
Standing ovation and it was his opening effect too! Shame I cant get his DVD from Amazon UK!
Message: Posted by: The Paranormalist (Jan 13, 2008 08:19AM)
Yes he did get a superb reaction from the audience, and for us in 'the know' it dosen't take a stretch of the imagination to work out how it was accomplished but that isn't my reason for joining in on this thread.

As with most confabulation style demonstrations don't you think this type of effect is just too fantastic? Does a lay audience believe the performer is manipulating the audiences mind to bring forth the correct numbers, performed a clever trick they can't explain and don't give it a sesond thought accepting it was just a trick, or believe the performer is a genuinely gifted psychic?

The question is what do you think goes through an audience's mind with a demonstration so fantastic?

Franklin
I think it depends...a) it depends on the audience members beliefs, and b) it depends on how the mentalist is framing all his work...

they might just see it as a frightening coincidence?!

as it was his opener, perhaps he goes onto explaining what he was doing, as in, subtle influence or whatever else...
I will admit...I was blown away when I saw that...I know how confabulation routines work, but that is a lottery ticket from where I am from and I have no idea how he did that...I am "in the know", but I have no idea how that could happen...and I am not ashamed to admit that. I love the feeling of astonishment & I cherish it. He must have a mini computer in his pocket with mini printer and mini monitor, plus mini keyboard. My point...I couldn't re-create such an official looking lottery ticket, how could any of you. If you can send me your best efforts...PM me for my address. I think this kid is the bee's knees!

Nathan
[quote]
On 2008-01-08 22:21, mentalv wrote:
You might be talking about Nate Stnaiforth my friend.

could this be it haha

http://youtube.com/watch?v=4CE7_BD6aGg

:D
[/quote]

That was amazing. I heard the DVD was really good.
Message: Posted by: The Paranormalist (Jan 13, 2008 04:56PM)
Hi Nathan
You say you love the feeling of astonishment & cherish it, if that is the case why would you want someone to PM you to spoile the illusion?

Just one hint and I'm not going to give anything away, just think how you would go about it to accomplish the same demonstration under the same conditions. If you still cannot work it out, your mentalism knowledge is not complete.

Franklin
Screw that...that is a genuine lottery ticket...make me a copy, that looks like an original & mail it to me. Until then your counterfeiting techniques are not complete. Plus re-read my post, you misunderestimated me!

Nathan
Message: Posted by: The Paranormalist (Jan 13, 2008 07:44PM)
I rest my case.

Franklin
Hah!

I see your rest & raise you a BS! I just got a PM from a very well known professional mentalist, who also didn't know how it was done. He found out by holding Nate at gunpoint, so save your BS for someone who gives a S.

Nathan
Although I've never seen or met you, I would like to say that you have brown eyes.

Nathan
Message: Posted by: The Paranormalist (Jan 14, 2008 06:35AM)
I have no wish to argue with you, I'm sorry but don't you have a bad attitude?

Franklin
[quote]
On 2008-01-13 20:56, nathanpain wrote:
Hah!

I see your rest & raise you a BS! I just got a PM from a very well known professional mentalist, who also didn't know how it was done.
[/quote]

if that's true your professional mentalist should have studied more his art
[quote]
On 2008-01-14 07:40, Mariagi wrote:

if that's true your professional mentalist should have studied more his art
[/quote]
Considering who it is...that **** is hilarious...you are all a bunch of liars...you have no idea how it is done...Nate does, his wife does, and my secret friend does...you don't! All this smoke going up my *** is uncomfortable, would you all quit blowing it.

Nathan
Considering that you are the first to act as a 'wise guy? my dear kid you should couple and go hand in hand with patient one
I saw Nate at a NACA convention in Charleson, SC and he did a great job with the audience. He did a very nice, simple predicted number in an envelope that the audience and volunteer on stage went wild over.
Message: Posted by: Christophercarter (Jan 14, 2008 09:46AM)
Some of you seem to have some theories as to how Nate does this. So did I. Then I had him over to my house and he did the exact same effect at my dining room table. Nothing different. As clean as it looks on the DVD. Actually cleaner. I can't even describe how floored I was. I felt like I must imagine witnesses to the Berglass effect must feel.

I figured it must be something that requires a lot of preparation, but a little bit later the rest of our guests arrived, and he did it again for a friend of mine who is one of the busiest hypnotists in the college market. Before he did it this time, I asked if his wife could leave the room, because I thought maybe she was helping him. He just laughed and said sure. I was watching him like a hawk, and he did it again!

Few people are privileged to be fooled so badly in their lifetimes, and I now think I was one of the lucky ones. After a lot of strong-arming, Nate tipped it. All I can tell you is, it isn't what you think when you watch the video. It's even better. And if Nate ever tips it again I hope it will be for a HUGE amount of money, because it's that good!
I think it looked great, standing ovation on your first effect,what more needs to be said.

Mescalito
Message: Posted by: The Paranormalist (Jan 14, 2008 10:23AM)
Hi Christopher
I never said I knew how Nate Staniforth did his demonstration, what I said was with my knowledge of mentalist techniques with no ego and like many others in the thread, I knew how I would go about accomplishing the same demonstration under the same conditions.

And yes it did look great and deservedly with a great response from the audience.

Franklin
And now you know who my secret friend is...funny how quickly you backpeddle. I'm 33 btw so take your kid comments and stick em...I hate pretentiousness. Look it up, you can use the dictionary you use in your booktest. Thanks Chris for stepping up. Paranormalist make a youtube video of you doing it your way, or else shhhhhhhh. Brown eyes, remember that! I also never said I wanted to know how it was done, I said I wanted the boasters to send me a fabricated lottery ticket that will pass my inspection. Excuse my American sense of humor, it shouldn't reflect on Chris. He is one of the nicest guys I've ever met, I on the other hand, am a ***. I believe I am the Penn Jillette, to his David Copperfield (80's & Stage personas only). I just can't stand when people in our field can't admit when they are fooled. Sorry for the stress...HUGS!!!!

Nathan
Message: Posted by: The Paranormalist (Jan 14, 2008 11:16AM)
I will only say one thing PAIN is a very fitting surname.
Actually it's just a stage name, but thanks...sorry for any stress I may have caused. Good luck in all your future endeavors.

Nathan
So if you go to Mr Staniforth's website, he did 18 college shows between August and December last year (and plenty of NACA auditions as well) and factor in an average of $2500.00 per show, not counting BOR sales then you are looking at well over $40,000.00 USD within 5 months.

I find that to be very inspirational.

DT3
That is great! I too find him in many ways to be inspirational.

Nathan
Having viewed this video dozens of times, I see the standing ovation was actually edited in at the end, so the standing ovation was not for the first "welcome to the show" effect. Also why was that chap in the hooded top stood up behind the number 41 guy? lol, having watched the clip so many times there are lots of camera edits. However.....

Having researched this effect, I have found the originator of the effect, it has been published, and mine has been ordered and should be with me in the next few days.
[quote]
On 2008-01-16 19:09, mindcontroller wrote:
Having viewed this video dozens of times, I see the standing ovation was actually edited in at the end, so the standing ovation was not for the first "welcome to the show" effect. Also why was that chap in the hooded top stood up behind the number 41 guy? lol, having watched the clip so many times there are lots of camera edits. However.....

Having researched this effect, I have found the originator of the effect, it has been published, and mine has been ordered and should be with me in the next few days.
[/quote]

OH he of little faith. If you can't get a standing ovation with this effect, no matter what your method is, then you should by a book written by either Bauer, Weber, or Spears.

;-)

Dt3
I thought it was Nates idea?
It is...Christopher Carter can verify this. Take other posts as butterfly wings.

Nathan
I didn't say you could'nt get a standing ovation DT, I was just saying, if you watch the video, the standing ovation was not as it seemed, which to me was for that very first effect at the beginning of the show. There was a lot of (very good) editing going on in that clip if you pay attention to the surroundings. It's a promo DVD for the lad, good luck to him!

I'd like to buy his DVD, but cant get it from Amazon.co.uk
MC,

I order from amazon.co.uk all the time, so go ahead and order it from amazon.com.

If you need help tricking out your dvd player to play different region dvd's...PM me.

Nathan
[quote]
On 2008-01-17 04:40, mindcontroller wrote:
I didn't say you could'nt get a standing ovation DT, I was just saying, if you watch the video, the standing ovation was not as it seemed, which to me was for that very first effect at the beginning of the show. There was a lot of (very good) editing going on in that clip if you pay attention to the surroundings. It's a promo DVD for the lad, good luck to him!

I'd like to buy his DVD, but cant get it from Amazon.co.uk
[/quote]

Well I can get it in the US. If you want it then contact me and we can make it happen.

I really don't think the standing O was edited in but I went to an arts school in North Carolina so I may be a little gullible.

DT3
I don't think it was edited in...why bother...you got the 2 grand to hire him for a show? I don't...I don't think he made the dvd to impress the likes of us! This effect makes the hair on my spine stand up, why wouldn't a bunch of hayseeds give him the O?

Nathan
I got the dvd today...for clarification purposes, the lottery effect is at the end of his show...at the end of his show he says, "welcome to the show!" So the standing O was for the whole show, that came after the lottery effect. Also the dvd is great...it's about 50/50 magic/mentalism...I would recommend it to anyone who would like to work on a minimalist performance style...packs small, plays BIG!

Nathan
I thought it was terrific - I'm a little surprised everyone remembered their numbers :)))
^yeah no doubt...I would use a dry erase to record the numbers, myself...or I could just look at the ticket in my wallet to refresh my memory :)

Nathan
Nathanpain,
Are there any explanations on the video?

magiclee
No...none...Still totally worth it.

Nathan
I thought it was a great trick and though I expected some more charisma from him at first-- being on a big stage in front of several hundred people-- by the end I found myself really enjoying his lowkey style. I also try to always remember when seeing a performance that being there in person is always VERY different than watching it on a video screen. Movies move us because there are so many elements that we are witnessing without realizing it (music, visual effects, set design, costumes, etc.). On a stage with minimal props or setting and no audible music, the performance comes across as raw. In person, the experience would be very different. I see why he received a standing ovation. He probably deserved it judging by those who were actually there.
Lol look at the wallet to refresh the memory ;)

I think I figured it out, but then that'd be exposure...
I'm sure it's not the wallet, but nice try...Nate did it for Chris in his dining room...He watched him like a hawk, and he still pulled it off!

Nathan
I think it was very good.

I like the character he established.

I will pick up his DVD and I am very happy that there are no explanations on there.

It is so nice to be amazed.

I don't want explantions but I would like to know where he got his jacket.

He also wears a vintage U2 Joshua Tree t-shirt which is very very boss.

DT3
I think he won the jacket from Criss Angel in a magic-off.

Nathan
[quote]
On 2008-01-13 17:56, The Paranormalist wrote:
Hi Nathan
You say you love the feeling of astonishment & cherish it, if that is the case why would you want someone to PM you to spoile the illusion?

Just one hint and I'm not going to give anything away, just think how you would go about it to accomplish the same demonstration under the same conditions. If you still cannot work it out, your mentalism knowledge is not complete.

Franklin
[/quote]

with all the spouting off you are doing about how you know how it is done....that just tells me you are probably the most confused on the entire thread.
Amen!

Nathan
[quote]
On 2008-01-19 13:50, chichi711 wrote:
[quote]
On 2008-01-13 17:56, The Paranormalist wrote:
Hi Nathan

Franklin
[/quote]

with all the spouting off you are doing about how you know how it is done....that just tells me you are probably the most confused on the entire thread.
[/quote]

Indeed. And the fact that you infer there is the possibility of having a "complete" knowledge of mentalism, tells all.
Amen! Gabelson, for your information, I did a quick bit of research of how to say Amen in the Jewish faith...My research led me to find that Amen is the word I should be using since you just delivered a blessing. I always kicks it PC up in this piece.

Nathan
What a very odd thread.....
I saw his DVD and it was nice... noting more then that.
Is he a beginner?
Aren't we all...if we didn't begin something...we wouldn't be doing it...everyday you begin something new.

Nathan
Goodness this blew me away. does anyone have any idea if this method is released to the the magic comunity or not
I had the pleasure of seeing Nate's show about a year ago, and then talking with him after the show. Not only is he a great guy, but his show was the first time in years that I'd been genuinely left in a state of disbelief. His personality on stage was straight forward - there was very little intentional comedy, there was no real theme for the show, and there was no transitional material. He basically went, "Let me show you this. Now let me show you this..." and so on. Still, the audience went nuts, and I am grateful for once again being thoroughly fooled and entertained.
To me there are 2 issues here-

performance
method

I would say the performance was not good.
This is a beginner, or a young performer.
There is not a lot of performance experience or
theory in this. No idea on building suspense or drama.

The effect is great.
But man, look at the hardware on the belt,
It doesn't take Einstein to see what is going on.

Think how you would do it, then
google in the word "portable."

My 2 cents.
Cheers.
Tom
[quote]
On 2008-01-16 19:24, jayp wrote:
I thought it was Nates idea?
[/quote]

[quote]
On 2008-01-16 20:20, nathanpain wrote:
It is...Christopher Carter can verify this. Take other posts as butterfly wings.

Nathan
[/quote]

Well, Nate S. would have to have created this effect prior to 2002 at the latest. Otherwise, it's an Anthony Owen effect called "Natural Lottery", though this version uses a somewhat different method. The [i]effect[/i], however, is Anthony's - and it's published in his booklet "Some Tricks".

I, too, didn't care for the protracted spectator selection and the very dry presentation... but that's just me.

And finally, Nathan, why do imagine that only Nate could conceive this clean handling and only his friends could know how it's done? There are many great and creative minds in magic, and some of them are [i]very[/i] hard to fool.

TW
Here is a link to the original for those curious:

http://tvmagic.co.uk/tvmagicshop/product_info.php?products_id=111&osCsid=101148cc1c63dda27fb1fbddedb7094f
I thought it was PERFECT for the situation!
I know how "I" do this effect and since everyone says that his way is new I can continue to do it MY WAY without fear of reprisal :) Correct?
It looks like a NACA convention or something. If it's his regular show then people already know he's going to predict something.
The hidden jewel here is his last six words and the delivery of them ...
"Ladies and Gentlemen ........ WELCOME TO THE SHOW!"
PERFECT!!!!! :)
Now the cat's out of the bag.

Thomas,

I felt that way because Christopher Carter told me nothing of how it was done other that to say he had NEVER seen anything like it before. Believe me I've done my research this last month or so, and found some of those other GREAT MINDS lottery routines. They were full of props and BS to accomplish, what I believe, was a weak trick...bags, balls, wallboard, nail guns! Of course I already have the Anthony Owen book on it's way to my doorstep. Although, Nate is not obligated to tell me where his version came from, but he did email me, and from what he typed, I would say this VERSION is his creation. But, Like I said, he wouldn't have to say to me, "Oh, that's Anthony Owen's...not mine!"

As for the hardware on his belt...I don't have the book yet, but I doubt it. When I get the book, I WILL admit it if I am wrong.

Nathan
As for his style...it is "stage Blaine with more personality"...therefore I believe a lot of guys around here would find it objectionable...some more of the green monster.

Nathan
The effect wowed me, but more importantly, it wowed his audience. In the end, isn't that what counts? - the aim is to entertain the audience he was performing for, and clearly Nate Staniforth successfully achieved that, even with a minimalist style.

Are there any known video clips of Anthony Owen's "Natural Lottery" being performed?
Message: Posted by: Christophercarter (Jan 30, 2008 10:38AM)
Regardless of who originated the idea of a lottery prediction, I strongly believe it is unwise to speculate as to the method used on an open forum that can easily be googled. People who are amazed by Nate's performance may be inclined to seek out more information on him. It would be a shame for them to bump into this thread and receive the impression that this or that may be the explanation.

Everyone is entitled to his own opinion about a particular performance. The approach used on this routine is clealy different from a one that would be used by a lot of more traditional performers, particularly those who do corporate events. All I can say is I've seen a lot of people take their more traditional ideas of showmanship to a college crowd and die the death. It is possible that, given his crowd, the choices he's making may be very right, even if not to your taste.
The Andrew olsen effect is similar to Nate but it isn't the same effect. I just read Andrew's and there is a slight but big difference
[quote]
On 2008-01-30 08:14, nathanpain wrote:
[...]
As for the hardware on his belt...I don't have the book yet, but I doubt it. When I get the book, I WILL admit it if I am wrong.

[/quote]
[quote]
On 2008-01-30 08:22, nathanpain wrote:
As for his style...it is "stage Blaine with more personality"...therefore I believe a lot of guys around here would find it objectionable...some more of the green monster.

Nathan
[/quote]

Nathan,

You are letting your blind devotion to this performer cloud your reading comprehension. I said the EFFECT was Anthony Owens' (also the basic presentation of having six random specs think of numbers, by the way). There are many different ways to accomplish "3Fly" (for example), but the basic [i]effect[/i] is Chris Kenner's - get it?

Now... "green monster"? You know, Nathan, it IS possible for other magicians to not care for another's performance style without necessarily being [i]jealous[/i]. The fact that [i]you[/i] apparently worship this guy does not mean that anyone who doesn't is somehow "wrong".

TW
Thomas, all true what you say. By the way, Anthony Owen's routine is much more like Alan Shaxon's confabulation... Jan
Geez louise...someone needs some fiber in their diet.

Nathan
[quote]
On 2008-01-30 01:56, ThomasBerger wrote:

performance
method

The effect is great.
[/quote]

Tom:

As is often the case, I [i]agree[/i] with you that the performance was weak - imagine how the suspense [i]could have[/i] been built, number selection after number selection, up to a dramatic climax!

"Blaine theatrics" is lacking and amateurish, no matter what the masses think.

But more importantly, this effect appears to me to be more of a [i]closer[/i] than an [i]opener[/i], don't you think? Or perhaps part of the body of the programme, but not an opener - it isn't "quick" and "punchy" enough in my mind.

I'd love to see Max Maven perform this.

Comments, anyone?

Arnon
I agree with not opening with it Arnon.
Based on what I’ve read this was not an opener it was his closer. So it appears Nate also agrees. As for his performance the end result was accomplished and he has enough experience to control an audience. I thought he spoke with proper authority while giving directions.
Over all I say job well done. He is young and will only get better.
Arnon,
I agree with you on this.

That is exactly what I was thinking --
Imagine what someone else could do with this,
with some drama and suspense.
A killer effect.

I also think that it would be hard (more like impossible)
to follow this effect with a complete act.
Opening too strong can work against you,
because you have nowhere to go.

Cheers.
Tom
This IS his closer, as has been already stated.

Nathan
[quote]
On 2008-01-30 16:27, nathanpain wrote:
Geez louise...someone needs some fiber in their diet.

Nathan
[/quote]

Yes. So go get some already.

TW
This is a neat effect and I think that his particular style works well for him in the college arena where he performs.

FYI...the method for this effect has been published...I have it.

Cody S. Fisher
SSShhhhhhhhhh! Don't tell!
Firstly, I thought it was really lovely, a fantstic opener. I personally quite like his style, a very hands off piece, very laid back while remaining in control. It's pretty informal, and I think this work s for him, relaxes the audience, sets a tone. A Magic Act isn't all about tension. As far as I am concerned a good effect, relatively well presented. I appreciate some people may dislike the style, that much is obvious from the comments, but I do really like it.

Secondly, I don't believe the trick is predictable, very much a magicians chat. I don't think asking an audience for 6 numbers, in anyway tips what is about to happen. Why should it?

And finally, I thought some of you might be interested to learn that Derren Brown is doing something relatively similar in his current stage show. The basic plot goes that Derren Brown gets the spectator to call up a friend, and name any 3 numbers, DB gets it wrong, tries again, and again fails. He then gives the spectator a £10 note, that's been in "plain" sight the entire time, as a prize for "beating" him. The serial number of this note, are the 6 named number.
It's pretty fantastic ;p
Nick x
TW,

I am already getting enough fiber in my diet. You really should try it, be good to your colon and it will be good to you.

Nathan
Is this the opener or the closer? I'm confused by what he's said.
The fiber goes in the opener and out the closer.
Why is that confusing?

Or is it the other way around?
This is THEE CLOSER!!!

This is the opener. http://www.popsoda.com/twispopbotop.html

Nathan
Actually the fiber goes in the shaker, then in the opener, then out the closer.

Unless it's pub night, then all bets are OFF!!!

Nathan
[quote]
On 2008-01-30 19:55, nathanpain wrote:
This is THEE CLOSER!!!
[/quote]

The why does he say "Ladies and Gentlemen... Welcome to the show"?

Personally, I bloody loved it!
PM,

I don't know why he says that, but he sayd it at the start and at the end of the show.

Nathan
[quote]
On 2008-01-30 20:46, nathanpain wrote:
PM,

I don't know why he says that, but he sayd it at the start and at the end of the show.

Nathan
[/quote]

Fiber or not, you'd better get your story together. :D

Besides geting your opener and your closer straight. :lol:
Well, If my opener was closer to my closer, then I'd probably have my head up my arse, and it'd be hard to hear the radio.

Nathan
[quote]
On 2008-01-30 19:37, nathanpain wrote:
TW,

I am already getting enough fiber in my diet. You really should try it, be good to your colon and it will be good to you.

Nathan
[/quote]

Well, since you know [i]nothing[/i] of my diet, I will just assume you are simply a rude s.o.b. who is incapable of civil discussion.

Case closed.

TW
AO "effect" Magic 1106

Nathan
TW,

Wow, I was just having a laugh...sorry...cold up there, is down here.

Nathan
Hey Nathan, I took your posts as funny.

All well meaning and in good fun.

Usually [i]I[/i] am the one who's accused of being too serious - this shouldn't be happening to [i]you[/i].
Thanks Arnon,

It's hard to get tone across on the internet...I am always on sarcastic for the most part...I love all my brothers here...big hug! Of course maybe TW is joking and I fell for it...if so bravo.

Nathan
All Levity aside .... was it the opener or the closer? There is a large video edit between what he says and the Ovation. Looks to me as if it's the opener and then the ovation at the end is edited right after it.
Slim,

It is his closer...wait are you having a laugh?

well if not, it's his closer...I own the dvd...it's his closer. The SO was not edited in...

Nathan
So he really says that at the beginning and the end?
I am serious ... And I'll be mulling it over if that IS what he does... Kind of a CALL BACK Joke/phrase ... ?
A callback...right on the money! At both the finish and the beginning, yes he does.

Any more questions...I would say phrase, rather than joke...he never smiles, only serious..."watch...watch"

Nathan
I think I will start my shows with "get the H*** out of here" and then say it again at the end...then, "no I'm serious, get out, I have a dog!!!"

Nathan
It just dawned on me...

It's a closer, but he performed as if it was an opener.
There you go!

Nathan
I like his understated presentation. captures attention.
^Yeah it's good to see a magician who doesn't smile my face off.

Nathan
Well I have Anthony Owen's book and Natural Lottery is nothing like this performance!

Sadly.So Im no closer figuring it out.
Yeah,

Sorry about that Harry :( I and 2 friends were duped as well :(

I talked with Chris Carter & he says he believes Nate has several methods for accomplishing this effect!

Nathan
[quote]
On 2008-02-15 14:55, nathanpain wrote:
Yeah,

Sorry about that Harry :( I and 2 friends were duped as well :(

I talked with Chris Carter & he says he believes Nate has several methods for accomplishing this effect!

Nathan
[/quote]

You got me again! You should have a career as a conman! :)
Harry,

We are gonna settle this one way or another...I can't have you ruining my good name around here :)

Nathan
[quote]
On 2008-02-15 16:41, nathanpain wrote:
Harry,

We are gonna settle this one way or another...I can't have you ruining my good name around here :)

Nathan
[/quote]

LMAO ;)
Hey Harry,

I'll also send you some invisible thread to sew your arse back on :)

Nathan
I had gotten the book and love it! The thinking on "natural Lottery" will give the same effect as the one shown on video. IMHO Jeff
Except to the guy on stage who is reading the lottery ticket...loose lips sink ships.

Nathan
Mr. pain sir, are you english? you said arse, and "having a laugh"...just wondering...

I think it's a *** fine effect this lotto thing...
I think in a former life, I was...

Big Ricky Gervais fan either way...

This lotto effect is great, I truly agree.

I also watch a ton of British-y things...

It's an addiction...I need help :)

Nathan
The effect is nice but the presentation is missing a lot I think...
[quote]
On 2008-02-16 13:19, abraxus wrote:
Mr. pain sir, are you english? you said arse, and "having a laugh"...just wondering...

I think it's a *** fine effect this lotto thing...
[/quote]

If he were British, he'd be "taking a p**s," n-est'ce pas?
"the" instead of "a"

carry on!

Nathan
[quote]
On 2008-02-17 08:40, nathanpain wrote:
"the" instead of "a"

carry on!

Nathan
[/quote]

Brill!
I enjoyed the clip-item was a closer-the welcome to the show was really clever.....

Live act-lay audience reaction was really good

What more could you want

Anytime you are doing a live audience gig & get a great reaction-Thats what its all about!!!!
Brill...indeed!

Nathan
I thought his presentation, style, and manner was perfect for this, college group, kind of audience. They generally do not want to see an older, "polished", performer, but someone who is "one of them."

One performer who bridged this gap was Irv Weiner who looked more like a college professor and was a great entertainer and killed when working this kind of venue.

Was it just me, or did anyone else notice that he did not remember the numbers, but had to have the help of the group to recall them. I thought if he knew the numbers in advance and had them in his pocket, he would have clearly remembered them.

Copperfield does a couple of numbers like this including grafiti, and the car plate routine. They are all two person routines.

It is always hard to try to figure out these things because they are edited, and key moments may be left out, or a cut away done at a key time.

This young man should have a great future, if he continues like this. Great style.

Dick Brooks
Great Clip!
He did a good job maybe a bit more story could have been used but he did well.
Bloody hell, good job to that matey.

Cheers for posting.
I find it hard to believe that no one has worked out the (or a) method to achieve this, the answer is actually on the video if you watch it, starting point is something like Owen's, then a little sideways thinking and you can have an exact same routine as Nate's, with printed tickets, not hand written like Owen's and you can perform it in EXACTLY the same way as Nate! Now my way may not be Nate's actual method but the end result is just the same and you could do the same exact presentation (although I wouldn't) with a genuine lottery ticket to give away at the end!

Maybe it's because I came to Mentalism from a Hypnosis background and not Magic so sometimes I think differently to Magicians which works in my favour sometimes!
First of all this effect is certainly not "original" back when I was still doing mentalism professionally I did an identical effect. There have been different methods for this effect published and sold.

Now I can't judge the method because I am not sure how he did it but could duplicate the effect.

Now those of you who want to criticize his performance are off base-it seemed to me to be very good which is important.
[quote]
Was it just me, or did anyone else notice that he did not remember the numbers, but had to have the help of the group to recall them. I thought if he knew the numbers in advance and had them in his pocket, he would have clearly remembered them.

Dick Brooks
[/quote]

It COULD just have been a well-placed subtlety Dick.

I love the performance. Though I think Max Maven could have done it better. But we cant blame Nate you know. Good job Nate!

Alel
Tis not true what they say about you!
I have seen this live and it is terrific, no one here is close nor would they have a clue. I think the video throws everyone off for a reason, as I would not want anyone performing this, especially people speculating on a public forum. (so let's not!)

Of course the idea of predicting a lottery is not original, because if real magic existed this is what we would all do.
I have been using Confabulation for this effect for a while now and can only imagine, at the price, that [b]Natural Lottery[/b] is the same idea with the props included. However, I don't produce a printed ticket (I wish I knew how to!) I merely remove the [i]submission ticket[/i] with the numbers highlighted.

I don't know how it was done and I don't care but care - I thought it was fantastic but have to admit that I was a little dubious of all that hi-tech equipment on his belt - too much for a radio mic! :)
I thought the same, but he had a huge multi camera crew taping a lot of sound equipment (at least that is what it looked like?)

When I saw this performed he had nothing but a t-shirt on, no jacket, nothing, the worst part is that the random audience member pulled the wallet out of his pocket for him. His hands never even went back there! My draw just dropped, I could not believe it!
Its sounds a little to good. id love to see this live
Hello Magic Café,

I have followed this discussion as a lurker with some interest and - given that I suspect the level of interest in this effect is about to increase - I thought I would take the plunge and share some information about this effect.

As others have already noted, the effect is that of my Natural Lottery trick, which I devised in 2000 and first published in my 2003 book Some Tricks (recently reprinted by TVMagic.co.uk). I also performed and explained it in my lectures last year at MAGIC Live! and the International Magic Convention. (By the way you may be interested to know that the latter lecture will shortly be released on DVD.)

For the record, at the same time that I created Natural Lottery I also devised several handlings which would enable the spectator to be handed the printed lottery ticket as a souvenir. These handlings I have shared with a small number of my friends in the years since. Also at MAGIC Live Bill Herz shared with me an excellent idea which enables a very practical self contained improvement upon my Natural Lottery handling. At some point in the future I may release these ideas, possibly in the book of my published and unpublished material which I’m currently writing and compiling with Stephen Minch’s Hermetic Press.

I’ll be off now. Bye bye Magic Café.

Anthony Owen
Awesome. Thanks for the info Anthony.

So, I just watched the David Blaine special, and he performed the lottery confabulation. Anyone else see it?
Yep...sure did! Anyone else notice Nate Staniforth's name roll by in the credits?

Nathan
Well I thought that was one of th best things david did. it was amazing
Yeah, the way it was shot and the atmosphere was spot on. A really nice piece of video and theatre.

Dr. J
Amazing and nice to see it is available:)
Well isn't it sorta of available. It hasnt been release where we might know how to perform it like it was on the db special or has it? They way I understaind it is that a version is avaiable but not the exact one or again am I wrong?
AO's version "Natural Lottery" does not give you Blaine/Staniforth's ending...just to clarify.

Nathan
This effect was my favorite!
Nathan ,

What is the difference in the endings?

Chris
Pm'd ya!

Nathan
Nathan I would also love to know the diference in the ending. I'm very interested in this routine
Given the level of interest in this effect, all purchasers of my Natural Lottery effect will now receive a couple of the previously unreleased ideas by Bill Herz and myself which enable you to show the printed ticket to the audience and to hand it to a genuine spectator as a souvenir.

Previous purchasers of Natural Lottery should contact the appropriate dealer to obtain a free update.

Best,

Anthony Owen
Isn't it magical to see how the microphone appears at the end of the clip? Jan
Jan,

That clip is 2 years old...monkey turned to man & on it goes...

Nathan
Nathan,
you think the microphone is grown up meanwhile?
No the microphone no longer has a job...

Nathan
I don't know how often I'll have to say this, but it's true. Nate can and does do this effect solo. He does it in his regular college show many times. He did the effect twice at my dining room table. It was done by David Blaine on his recent special. If the microphone ever was important, it is most certainly not important anymore.

What does the effect look like in performance? Just like it should. People offer up numbers, nothing is written down, the ticket is in his wallet. No stooges. No backstage assistants. I haven't seen it yet, but I've been told he can now have a spectator remove his (nate's) wallet and take out the ticket without nate ever even seeming to have gone near it. Knowing what I know about the effect, that seems entirely possible.
So nates is never going to be reasled right?
A better trick would be to get the spectator to swallow that d** gum.
Thomas,

Bad form here. Even if this is what he uses . . most here have no real idea how it is done and many do not even perform. Now you have just given the arm chair mentalists more knowledge to bash a performer that shows he is working for live audiences with a full show. Which is much, much, much more than most of the pompous people here in these forum can say.

It surprises me that so many of the 'mentalists' here can easily and quickly bash any real performance that shows up on You Tube, yet they never seem to have a performance that we can look at. Not to mention most of them don't even have a website . . . but they will be the first to tell you how amazing they are.

Oh . . and how many E-books they have to sell.
[quote]
On 2009-02-03 10:13, Yellowjacket wrote:
Thomas,

Bad form here. Even if this is what he uses . . most here have no real idea how it is done and many do not even perform. Now you have just given the arm chair mentalists more knowledge to bash a performer that shows he is working for live audiences with a full show. Which is much, much, much more than most of the pompous people here in these forum can say.

It surprises me that so many of the 'mentalists' here can easily and quickly bash any real performance that shows up on You Tube, yet they never seem to have a performance that we can look at. Not to mention most of them don't even have a website . . . but they will be the first to tell you how amazing they are.

Oh . . and how many E-books they have to sell.
[/quote]

I agree with you almost in total.

Jim
[quote]
On 2008-09-25 02:31, Anthony Owen wrote:
Hello Magic Café,

I have followed this discussion as a lurker with some interest and - given that I suspect the level of interest in this effect is about to increase - I thought I would take the plunge and share some information about this effect.

As others have already noted, the effect is that of my Natural Lottery trick, which I devised in 2000 and first published in my 2003 book Some Tricks (recently reprinted by TVMagic.co.uk). I also performed and explained it in my lectures last year at MAGIC Live! and the International Magic Convention. (By the way you may be interested to know that the latter lecture will shortly be released on DVD.)

For the record, at the same time that I created Natural Lottery I also devised several handlings which would enable the spectator to be handed the printed lottery ticket as a souvenir. These handlings I have shared with a small number of my friends in the years since. Also at MAGIC Live Bill Herz shared with me an excellent idea which enables a very practical self contained improvement upon my Natural Lottery handling. At some point in the future I may release these ideas, possibly in the book of my published and unpublished material which I’m currently writing and compiling with Stephen Minch’s Hermetic Press.

I’ll be off now. Bye bye Magic Café.

Anthony Owen
[/quote]Printed not hand written?
Yes, printed. A real genuine lottery ticket.

Best,

Anthony Owen
To clarify upon my previous point, I'm referring to the new handlings which accompany the Natural Lottery props and not the versions in my book Some Tricks and on my new Lecture DVD, on which I understand the Staniforth/Blaine versions were based.

Best,

Anthony
I thought you might be interested to know that the dealer who has the exclusive license from me to sell my Natural Lottery effect along with all the necessary props has received an excellent suggested improvement from Michael Weber. Michael has kindly granted his permission for this improvement to be issued as a free bonus to all future purchasers. Previous purchasers should contact the dealer in question to receive a free update.

Best,

Anthony Owen
I thought that folk here might be interested to know that there's a trailer for my new lecture DVD including footage from my performances of Natural Lottery, Number at Card, Holey **** and Ultimate Oil and Water which you can view here:

http://tvmagic.co.uk/tvmagicshop/product_info.php?products_id=123&osCsid=bd3e65873f8ecf10872c8277a1a4f1ca
[quote]
On 2008-01-30 01:56, ThomasBerger wrote:

performance
method

The effect is great.
But man, look at the hardware on the belt,
It doesn't take Einstein to see what is going on.

Think how you would do it, then
google in the word "portable."

My 2 cents.
Cheers.
Tom
[/quote]

It's amazing how differently we all see things. I thought his performance was brilliant and the suspense building with each number being called (for a reason unnamed, leaving us to wonder "why"? "what is coming"?) is the essence of drama. I like nuance better than boisterousness. I tend to prefer performers that buck the norms rather than conform. I'd buy this guy a beer to pick his brain for sure.
[quote]
On 2009-07-11 08:30, Anthony Owen wrote:
I thought that folk here might be interested to know that there's a trailer for my new lecture DVD including footage from my performances of Natural Lottery, Number at Card, Holey **** and Ultimate Oil and Water which you can view here:

http://tvmagic.co.uk/tvmagicshop/product_info.php?products_id=123&osCsid=bd3e65873f8ecf10872c8277a1a4f1ca
[/quote]

Dear Anthony,
Does the DVD also covers the printing lotto version?

Bests,
Titanas
Hi Titanas,

No, those additional handlings are not explained on the lecture DVD. They are only available to those purchasing the Natural Lottery props from the dealer who has the exclusive license to the effect from me.

Best,

Anthony Owen
Any link Anthony?
Here is the requested link to Natural Lottery props:

http://tvmagic.co.uk/tvmagicshop/product_info.php?products_id=111&osCsid=7fba889e0345538ee4fe0bf6d57468ff
I thought that you might be interested to know that the dealer who holds the exclusive license to sell my Natural Lottery effect complete with all the necessary props has another new free bonus update for all previous and future purchasers. Previous purchasers should contact the dealer in question to receive the latest free update.

Here's an updated link to the product: http://tvmagic.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=111

Best,

Anthony Owen
Hi Anthony - just a quick question.. How is your natural lottery different to the one in some tricks?

Thanks for your help,

WNail
Hi Withnail,

The Natural Lottery New Edition comes complete with bonus ideas by Bill Herz, Michael Weber and myself which enable you to show the printed ticket to the audience and hand it to a genuine spectator as a souvenir.

Best,

Anthony
Has anyone bought the new version or received the update for "Natural Lottery"? Is it the same effect as in Nate's video?
Hi Anthony. I am interested in buying your version. I just wanted to be clear on one thing. Is the ticket you can give out to the spectator the one that you fill in or the printed receipt that you get when you have bought your ticket.
This is a printed lotto ticket like in the video someone posted of Nate (second post)?
Will this work in the UK with the national lotto?
Hi gh256,

Thanks for your interest in my work.

The ticket which you hand out is the printed receipt you receive when you have bought your ticket.

It will work in the UK and any other country which provides a printed receipt.

Please note that this is not the method used by Nate Staniforth or David Blaine, although I understand that my version did inspire theirs.
Thank you kindly for your prompt and informative post :) I hope to be able to purchase soon.

Glenn
THanks Anthony :)
You're welcome!
Sorry, I realise that I forgot to mention the actual details of this latest free bonus update. It's a new method of mine which enables you to hand out the printed lottery ticket as a souvenir at the end of my effect.

It is NOT suitable for close-up situations. However, for experienced professional performers working in cabaret, stand-up, platform and stage situations it is a completely self contained method which is simple and practical. It requires no additional secret assistance and I believe it makes my original effect much stronger. I'm very proud of it.
http://www.thelotteryillusion.com

150 copies...that's it.

Nathan
[quote]
On 2012-05-08 14:22, Nathan Pain wrote:
http://www.thelotteryillusion.com

150 copies...that's it.

Nathan
[/quote]

Already bought mine. I have waited for this for years.
I notice that Anthony Owen has finally released SECRETS, his big hard bound collection of 'greatest hits'. This includes 45 items, which include previously unpublished items and many new ideas on his classic material.

This includes all the work and some new material relating to his long unavailable Natural Lottery routine referenced in this thread.

FROM THE FOREWORD BY ANDY NYMAN:
“Like any great collection, the material here is for all situations and abilities. I have no doubt it will become a modern classic. I believe he will be acknowledged alongside his mentors, Pat [Page] & Ali [Bongo], as one of the greatest minds ever to have graced British magic.” Andy Nyman

“Anthony’s book is genius. Thank you for sharing. I’m honoured by the reference in the Natural Lottery section. Such a brilliant piece of magic.” Nate Staniforth

Full list of contents and further quotes and details can be found here http://tvmagic.co.uk/2012/?product=anthony-owens-secrets
The rave reviews for Owen's new big book SECRETS keep coming from experienced, successful, knowledgeable magicians and mentalists.

Here's one from IMPOSSIBLE and KILLER MAGIC star Ben Hart: “I can’t recommend Anthony Owen’s beautifully produced book 'Secrets' highly enough. Yes, it is full of original and totally baffling tricks but it is also full of great wisdom and advice from a man who knows more about how to make magic appeal to a contemporary audience than anyone else I’ve encountered.”