(Close Window)
Topic: Silk to Egg Which Fake egg to buy?
Who makes the most realistic PLASTIC egg? I'd rather not buy one that will break if dropped.
Jonathan, visit Stevens magic site! They have a nice one!
Good luck,
Eric
I use the eggs from Viking Magic. They look realistic and are opaque which means that the color of a silk inside won't "bleed" through. I have never tried dropping any of them (I have two), but there is no real harm if one breaks - they are only $10 each. I am really satisfied with the eggs from Viking.
I still visit the supermarket and get a dozen for under $2.00. I make them unbreakable by coating them with white glue, inside and out. It ends up being a plastic egg with a real eggshell inside.
[quote]
On 2008-01-11 08:43, Magicque wrote:
Jonathan, visit stevens magic site! They have a nice one!
Good luck,
Eric
[/quote]

Eric - I only found a ceramic egg offered by Stevens. Did you say you knew of a good plastic one?
[quote]
On 2008-01-11 08:55, Peder Andersson wrote:
I use the eggs from Viking Magic. They look realistic and are opaque which means that the color of a silk inside won't "bleed" through. I have never tried dropping any of them (I have two), but there is no real harm if one breaks - they are only $10 each. I am really satisfied with the eggs from Viking.
[/quote]

Agree totally

Check the search engine on this subject

Have written many articles on silk to egg etc..

Viking Silk to egg is brilliant

I am a working Professional who uses this effect in over 150 corporate & cabret shows each year, Viking egg gimmick is so realistic & professional looking-Its the best!!!

http://www.vikingmagic.com/?nd=full&key=482

Viking deluxe Silk to Egg Routine has it all- check it out as well

http://www.vikingmagic.com/?nd=full&key=483
Check out the review by Donal Chayce November 26, 2007

Here:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=232187&forum=54&33

(It may also explain why for the first thirty-five years, I never released my Walk-Around Silk to Egg. Now it's in my lectures.)

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
I'm not sure where I got my egg, but if I am not mistaken it was made by Tenyo. I've had it a long time. It is a good replica.
If you are doing silk to egg you need the most realistic egg possible so that you can show them that it is a fake egg with hole ? That makes sense (not).
These are the ones I use http://tirofoginc.com.concentric.com/osc/product_info.php?cPath=37&products_id=104&osCsid=f7c36e80d1ab925c65de6d19a4be3402

Posted: Jan 13, 2008 7:24pm
I have used one large one in my shows for the last 2 years and have'nt had a problem with my silk to egg routine.

Michael Schroeder
RWhit,

The reason why the fake egg needs to be a good replica of a real one, is because you want the switch for the real egg to be indetectable. If the audience senses that a different egg is in play somewhere half-way through the routine, the magic moment where the egg is broken is lost ...
Check out what Autumn Morning Star had to say 1/27/2008.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=232187&forum=54&start=30

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
I’ve got a Silk to Egg Feke egg that I’ve had for over 40 years. I haven’t a clue who made it. It is plastic and to me doesn’t look like an egg. I shines like plastic and worse, the plastic is feather light making it difficult to handle (give me some weight!). I used it for dozens of years by “misting” it with flat white paint. It served.

About 25-ish years ago I bought one of the Vernet plastic, break apart versions. I was being lazy and thought that having the one egg with fake yoke would make for a streamlined and easier act. Well, it didn’t. The capacity of the egg for silk was just too small for my tastes. It was traded within weeks of trial.

I also have one sold by Magic Smith when it was a full service, on-line magic service. It made of some sort of ceramic and looks very realistic. The downside is that the walls of the egg are thick and limit the size of the hank being stuffed in. Not a big deal but…
Again, I haven’t a clue where Magic Smith got their item and they no longer sell it.

I have a couple from Viking Magic that are nice. I have used them for years (my routine uses two Stoddard eggs). They look real even up close.

I’m saying all this to give background of my present egg of choice and use. I use the egg provided by our own Bob Sanders! It looks real, has a nice weight to it (compared to the plastic eggs). It holds an 18” silk easily (the bigger the hank the more showy the trick IMHO). I don’t know what it is made of most likely ceramic. It's rolled off the desk onto a hardwood floor and just bounced.

Bob packages the egg with a second, un-feked egg, two silks (18”) some matching color stickers, and his walk-around routine.

I like his routine so well that I’ve put mine on hold for a while (well I also have to buy a second egg from Bob to perform it! LOL!).

So what is the best egg to buy for the old “egg to silk” routine? I’d say Bob Sanders’ version.
Harry, that is not surprising. Everything I have from Bob is top quality. His service is not bad either!

Regan

Posted: Feb 6, 2008 6:58pm
Well, Harry, you convinced me. I ordered a Silk-To-Egg set from Bob Sanders yesterday. Bob had better put you on his staff, or at the very least give you a percentage of that sale!

Regan
Bob's is the best one that I have come across also, and is one of his best sellers at conventions where he is a vendor. He also sometimes gives out a egg protector case that is perfect for travel.
Eggs-actly makes goods eggs in different sizes and only sell for $12.50
Harry and James are correct.....Bob Sander's eggs are great! They really look really real! The weight is just right too! Also, Bob's service is second to none!

Thanks Bob!

Regan
Gentlemen,

Thanks again.

This is one of my real favorites and it packs small.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
I have to agree with RWhit on this one... Why worry about a realistic egg to later reveal as a fake? I bought my fake egg off of my five year old niece for a quarter! She had a few in her toy box that work perfect. I cut the hole in it with a large bit and have never had anyone speculate whether it was real or not. I use the circle stickers (the garage sale price tags!) from Walmart. I have the option of red, blue, or yellow (never use the yellow! it doesn't stand out as boldly).

I normally go with a routine quite similar to Lance Burton's!

Anyway, over time, the egg gets a little dingy from being stored with everything else in my show case... I wash it with dish soap from time to time and its ready to go! 9 out of 10 times, your eggs will match pretty close in color!

If you make the switch smoothly; unless they have a Sherwin Williams paint chart, few will notice the extremely slight color change.

Not a bad 25-cent investment for trick that is normally one of my more solid and most talked about routines in the show!

Just my opinion on the matter!

-Bryan Gilles
[quote]
On 2008-03-11 00:43, Bryan Gilles wrote:
I have to agree with RWhit on this one... Why worry about a realistic egg to later reveal as a fake?
If you make the switch smoothly; unless they have a Sherwin Williams paint chart, few will notice the extremely slight color change.

[/quote]

I don't disagree with you with respect to need to exactly match the color of the fake egg and the real egg, but there are a number of other reasons someone might want to consider when choosing which egg to use (size, weight, opacity, durability, and ease of handling, for starters).

I've been doing this trick for over 30 years, and during that time I've used a cheap plastic egg, the Viking egg, the Tirofog "Eggsactly" egg and, most recently, Bob Sanders' egg. The only one that I'll never use again, the only one that IMO doesn't meet any of the requisite criteria for the prop (other than it looks somewhat like an egg and it has a hole in it) is the cheap plastic egg.
Junior, thank you for the great product review.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/search_post.php?topic=251442&forum=109&post=5483870

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Stoners.com sells the Tenyo model. It is a nice egg. I painted mine with epoxy paint so I could use any color silk.
[quote]
On 2008-03-23 21:39, Bob Sanders wrote:
Junior, thank you for the great product review.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/search_post.php?topic=251442&forum=109&post=5483870

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
[/quote]

Your very welcome Bob...you guys on the Café should check it out I go over just about everything, the look,the weight, the routine and the results...
Junior,

We just sent a bunch of the Dovelite Silk to Egg Walk-Around sets overseas thanks to your product review.

In their case, I think they were familiar with the ceramic eggs already but were glad to hear that the hole was was actually large enough to use. It is a problem for most other brands. In Holland, these eggs are very expensive. But they also know what an audience pleaser they are.

Now these eggs are available in Canada from

Chameleon Fabrications
806 County Road 26, RR7
Brighton, Ontario
Canada K0K 1H0
(613) 475-6526

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Kreis Magic has a Silk to egg as well
Thanks for the plug Bob.

We hope to have the Silk to Egg and Silk to Egg Walk-Around up on the web site in a short while.

All the best,

Rob
What the heck is Bob Sander's web page address? I tried to find the silk to egg, and all I found was his performing site.
Jake,

Check your emails. I hope I sent what you seek. It is the information dealers get.

Bob Sanders
Magic by Sander

PS --- I will be lecturing in NJ in late May.
I have seen many throughout the years. My favorite one is from Bob Sanders. The egg looks so realistic. He can even supply the half silks, these can fool many magicians. Ask him to email you a catalog of his mechandise. You can contact him at: AmazedWiz@yahoo.com I'm sure you will be satisfied. Tell him I refered you.
Bob's Dovelite Silk to Egg and Silk to Egg Walkaround are also now available at

http://www.morrisseymagic.com/frontdoor.htm

and

http://www.chameleonfabrications.com

They do look great.

All the best,

Rob
Especially if you're doing this from the stage, does not make a difference how real the egg looks "close up". Plastic, wood, hard boiled and coated or "fancy store bought", use whatever makes you feel comfortable.

Just remember, we do magic and live in the world of make believe.

Good Luck.

John
John,

You make a key point. Fake is "Fake". However, it really helps convince others when fake doesn't look and feel "Fake".

Good movie producers shoot the shots with the actors wearing real jewels. (The camera doesn't know a fake from real.) It certainly affects the acting. Pros know that.

It is easier to convince others when the actor is convinced. (Otherwise, you might as well run for political office where "fake" is the reality. Isn't it politically correct now to be fake? Remember Mayor PennyPacker: out for equality, justice and votes?)

I like eggs that look, feel and act like eggs.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Sure Bob. That goes back to my comment, "use whatever makes you comfortable".

Some performers hate the idea of body loads, others have a problem switching--it is all a mental game.

you may know more about actors using real jewelry and companies are often happy to oblige with "product placement" to hawk their wares. But if you can't be convincing you are in the wrong business...that's the job of an actor.

Now, any commercials I've done of course the sponsor's real product is used.

By the way, (just to be an extremist jerk) you certainly wouldn't want your actors to be drunk playing a drunk scene just to have them be "convincing".

I'll let up.

It all boils down to diffent strokes and comfort levels. Use your favorite method.

Cheers,

John
John,

I wish I could say it hasn't been done.

Bob
No Doubt...and not just booze! And thanks for the laugh and memory.

John
Starting at SEAM 2008 in Atlanta there is another package option including the pro Knots-Off Silk. (and cheaper than the one made with ponytail holders!)

Bob
Take your time and watch this strange video from Germany. There is a cool silk to egg towards the end.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMFg57Di50U
Bob, I am looking forward to meeting you at the TAOM, I have just begun learning silks, and I would love to see your silk to egg. Way too much positive commentary to not want this in my arsenal asap. And to see it from you first would be simply awesome to behold I am sure.
Bob's eggs are great! thanks for the demo!! TAOM is in progress, and we're really having fun.
Vikings Egg fakes in deluxe silk to egg-resin made are the top quality at present
that I ve seen & use in Professional shows
I use a cheap egg that I discovered in a Wal Mart Magic kit! It works fantastic, and I will tell you why. I reaveal the trick to the audience and then invite a member up to perform it for the audience, then finish with the surprise ending. So if you are going to reaveal the secret anyways then why does it matter about the quality?

Try a red plastic easter egg and paint it flat white, or leave it red for a funnier routine!
Charles,

I understand saving money. You are always more likely to see me in Wal-Mart or Dollar Tree than a jewelry store. However, I think in the case of Silk to Egg you are robbing yourself of presentation benefits by not using a very convincing gimmicked egg.

First unless it looks like a real egg, going from silk to egg won't carry much surprise. People know that you can't put a silk into a real egg. Fake eggs are made to be filled. Part of the surprise is that it is not a real egg after all!

Secondly, when you do produce the real egg and it doesn't look at all like the last egg you showed, immediately the audience knows the switch has taken place. They are busy looking for the first egg rather than following the trick. Part of the surprise of the fake hole and the real egg are lost. That is the real strength of the effect. Otherwise, just use a ping pong ball. It couldn't reduce the surprise of the trick any more.

The heart of Silk to Egg is convincing the audience that the egg is real TWICE!

Therefore, it is critical that the fake egg be impossible to tell from the real egg ultimately produced.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob sells a great silk to egg set of eggs in both white and brown. I bought both from him at TAOM and they are the best ones I've ever worked with. Feel is great, look is great. Handling is quite good as well.
[quote]
On 2008-10-22 16:39, Bob Sanders wrote:
Charles,

I understand saving money. You are always more likely to see me in Wal-Mart or Dollar Tree than a jewelry store. However, I think in the case of Silk to Egg you are robbing yourself of presentation benefits by not using a very convincing gimmicked egg.

First unless it looks like a real egg, going from silk to egg won't carry much surprise. People know that you can't put a silk into a real egg. Fake eggs are made to be filled. Part of the surprise is that it is not a real egg after all!

Secondly, when you do produce the real egg and it doesn't look at all like the last egg you showed, immediately the audience knows the switch has taken place. They are busy looking for the first egg rather than following the trick. Part of the surprise of the fake hole and the real egg are lost. That is the real strength of the effect. Otherwise, just use a ping pong ball. It couldn't reduce the surprise of the trick any more.

The heart of Silk to Egg is convincing the audience that the egg is real TWICE!

Therefore, it is critical that the fake egg be impossible to tell from the real egg ultimately produced.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
[/quote]

I just received my silk to egg stage and walk around version from Bob, and I must say it is definitely one of the best I have ever used.

Tomorrow will be the first chance for me to put it to use, and I will post more on the reactions, and how they differ from the original egg that I was using. I am sure the reactions will be much greater using Bob's realistic looking eggs.

Thanks Bob

Chaz
I put it to use Thursday, and the reactions were much better than when using the cheap plastic egg.
Chaz,

That's great! An egg prop should be all it's cracked up to be. LOL

(You did find the plastic carrying case? Dollar Tree will have thousands of them in a few more weeks. They work!)

Thanks for giving it a try and reporting back here on The Magic Café. This egg keeps the audience sure that the egg is real all the time.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
We've now managed to get Bob's Silk to Egg (Walk Around version) into some Canadian brick and mortar shops, Kind of Magic in Kitchener/Waterloo, Morrissey Magic in Toronto and Browsers Den in Toronto. Just ask for the Walk Around Silk to Egg from Dovelite or Chameleon Fabrications (in Canada).

Everyone who looks at these eggs is impressed with how realistic they look and feel. Thanks Bob.
[quote]
On 2008-11-10 12:31, RJE wrote:
Everyone who looks at these eggs is impressed with how realistic they look and feel. Thanks Bob.
[/quote]

You're not kidding about that! They are so realistic I think you could fool a hen with them! :)
Any opinions on the new Mark Wilson version, available at Hocus-Pocus?
I have only seen the ads for the Mark Wilson Alakazam Silk to Egg and not the actual product, so I cannot refer to its quality.

Mark Wilson is an icon in magic and I respect him for that. However, I cannot see many people paying $80.00 US (over $100.00 Canadian) for a silk to egg effect.

There are the cheapo beginner versions of shiny plastic available for $10 to $20.

Then there are the exceptionally realistic version, such as the one Bob manufactures. The Walk Around version includes 2 special eggs and every version includes 2 quality silks. These are more expensive than the cheapos and no where near as expensive as the Mark Wilson version.

So, I would see it something like this.

If you are a beginner or are not overly concerned with the look or quality of your egg and silk, buy the cheapo.

If you are a pro, like quality and having an egg that looks and feels real to both you and your audience, buy the set made by someone like Bob Sanders.

If, you wish to have a practical piece of magical history put out by a magical icon, then buy the routine put out by Mark Wilson.
Great analysis, RJE. Thanks.
Thank you, RJE!

I think this will help a lot of people who are looking for something for their collection or to put into their show. The needs can be very different.

Bob