(Close Window)
Topic: Most Popular Gags Or Magic Tricks To Be Done At Parties, Dinner Table Or Bar - Seemingly Unplanned
What do you consider the most popular gags or magic tricks to be done at parties, the dinner table, or at the bar - seemingly unplanned - of all time?

(My variation of a popular theme question.)
:)

- John
A lot of people don't like it, but Gregory Wilson's "Head Trip" found on his "On the Spot" video is brilliant for the dinner table and gets some great laughs. Simple, yet special.
"Twisting Arm" never fails!
If you have seen Daryl's "Live from London" videos, he talks about the "Bounce, No Bounce Balls". He has several routines that he does. One of the effects he does that is like a gag is the bounce effect with "grandma's" dinner rolls. This is a nice gag and can be done with anything, it's even funny when you sometimes get caught.
A couple of quickies I usually do at dinner parties that get a good response are, penetrating matches, coin vanish in napkin, and no gimmick pen thru dollar. All around classics.
Glass/salt shaker through the table.
Salt shaker through table, two in hand and one in pocket (bar napkins work well here) burnt match in match book, torn and restored napkin, coin flourish, cigarette flourish. My favorite bar trick is a one cup and balls routine. Coffee cup, olives for balls, and lime or lemon load.

Patrick
One I've always enjoyed, since learning it, is Greg Wilson's "3/4 Across". It can be done with borrowed coins, and doesn't even have to be done with quarters.

I've done it at parties and even in the galley on airplanes. It's a killer in a short sleeve shirt!

A slight variation in the routine allows you to perform the effect with different coins - you don't make all three go.

I saw a street magician in NYC recently doing this with borrowed coins - and he was really spanking the audience! Ramone, I think was his name.
Look in Gardnerīs Encyclopedia of Impromptu Magic.
For gags, The Amazing Jonathan put out a great book entitled: Every Trick In The Book.
[quote]
On 2003-03-18 10:14, Boxav8r wrote:
One I've always enjoyed, since learning it, is Greg Wilson's "3/4 Across". It can be done with borrowed coins, and doesn't even have to be done with quarters.
[/quote]

If you liked 3/4, you should check out Sankeys Mr. Clean Coins Across. Uses three coins, same moves, but, IMO, looks cleaner.

I love doing Eyescream at dinner parties! Really funny and crazy!
Seated at a table? Eating a Knife. A classic that you don't see much anymore, but it's a killer.

Salt Shaker or glass thru table. I once did this with a wine glass and cloth napkin. Tough, but it worked.

You can make a thumb tip from paper napkin and water, vanish salt, etc.

Best,
Brad Burt
I always like doing the fork in the eye trick, where you use the coffee creamer.
People freak, hahaha
I like "The Floating Dinner Roll" as described in Magic for Dummies. Essentially a Zombie Ball routine with a dinner roll, fork, and napkin.
Depending on the situation, I'll often do the instant memory square "Harry Lorayne's Reputation Makers". People just can't believe it. Twisting the Arm is also a great one to pull off. Keith, I'd like to see that eye creamer thing, man.
I like Dan Harlan's Starcle. You do it with a paper napkin. Very visual and you can create all sorts of stories around it just to fit the mood of the party.
I second the dinner roll Zombie routine.

I usually finish up by "bouncing" it off the floor a time or two.

I also get good mileage out of the "disappearing drink" ice cube/flash paper thing. Don't remember the name, but I think it's from AoA (Paul Harris).
At the dinner table, I like to bend a spoon, "straighten it out", then lap it and hold it out over the table, bend it with some difficulty, and then...POOF! All this takes place in under 20 seconds, and the specs immediately know you are a magician and *sometimes* ask for more.
Phil
Untouched for cards.

Sweet Surprize (Sankey) for dinner table magic.
Brad,

TT from a paper napkin and water???
Is that from McGuyver's "Survivalist Magicians Handbook" :rotf:
Oh sure...you don't know the TT from napkin and water subterfuge? *has trouble talking with tongue in cheek*

I usually go with Vernon's "Sympathetic Coins" or for a quickie, knife-swallowing (lapping method). This is a great trick, but I generally get myself into trouble with it, because I end up lapping everything off the table and then forget about it. When I stand to leave, there's generally a big clatter of things hitting the floor and I look around the restaurant for the busboy to blame the noise on.
Wow! I hadn't seen all these recent responses to my post. Great stuff. Thanks for all the ideas. :)
Used to when I went to parties, I always took my favorite quarter.
If someone would ask me to do someting I would borrow a quarter and push it into a bottle.
HIya,

What a great collection of impromtu magic. It's always good to have stuff you can do at no notice under any conditions- just like a "real" magician would!
Here's a few quickies;
"The twisty corks" from "Professional magic for amateurs" By Walter B Gibson- also in a Martin Gardener book. It's a great visual penetration, though it can look so smooth that people don't get it.... until you get them to try to copy you and the corks get crossed!
The good old "voodoo ash"- though it's getting a bit well known, also using thumb tip to make someone's lit cigarette vanish into their jacket. if you like the arm twister- you can procede it with the gag where you grab your head and twist it and it makes a terrible bone crunching sound (clue. dry pasta!).. Could do this before the eye creamer to warm them up!
http://www.charliefrye.com/
This guy's second DVD has a really funny table routine with a lot of cool gags and tricks. He also mentions the book "Table Crap." But anyway, this guy is really funny.