(Close Window)
Topic: Card thru Window
Is Jon Kennedy's "Card Thru Window" good enough to warrant the steep price tag? I've seen others so much less expensive and I'm wondering if his is so much better than the others or if it's just that he doesn't want everyone to be performing this trick as I've heard.
I would say no. I saw it listed for $375.00 Canadian in a magic shop where I live.
NO EFFECT IN THE WORLD SHOULD COST THAT MUCH!

Check the thread in "The good, the bad, and the garbage" about Anton Mago's effect Meeting Place. It's much less at around $35.00 U.S., and people seem to think it's just as good if not better.

Also, the Café's own Dr. Jakks has one *&^^ of a good sounding card through window comming out soon too. Information for that is listed in the "Secret sessions" section of this site. Check that out when you get 50 posts. here's a demo on his site:

http://sasmagic.tripod.com/products/ctw1.htm
Frankly, it's not worth so much, but it's true that he jacked up the price to prevent it from getting into the wrong hands. Go for the cheaper versions...
In the right situation, I think Marvey's version is killer... it's about 1/3 of the price of John Kennedy's.

Check out http://www.streetmagic.org

Marvey's Card Thru Window: $79.95
Kennedys Card Thru Window: $245.00

Free shipping there of course. They also have videos of both online.
I think it's a little steep for my pocket. Why not use a friend?
Well, if you happen to have the benefit of having a stooge in the place you're performing, then you could do even more impossible things with a signed card, not just a card through a window.
I have heard rave reviews about Marvey's . My friend has it and it's killer.
I'm still debating on which one to get, but no one has mentioned Anton Magos Meeting
Point at $35.00.
Marvey's version is still pretty expensive for such a restrictive effect. I don't own it, but I have seen the demo which didn't exactly astound me (but who cares, it's for lay people, not me). It's clear the effect can only be done at night. I can also see other problems, which, so as to not reveal the methodology, I won't mention here.
I have all three and like Marvey's and Anton's best. Kennedys is ok.
I have seen Marvey's and John's performances. Honestly, despite the limitations, I like Marvey's much, much more. Because I'm more of a visual card magic kinda guy. Visual magic kills laymen IMO. Haha, my meeting point is arriving in a few days time, will tell you how I feel about it.

I have just received Mago Anton's 'Meeting point' and I realize the amazing potential in it. I think it's definitely the best. Just a little work on the presentation and you've got yourself a miracle in your hands. haha.
I do a no-conferate, no-force, no-gimmick trick that I love, and the corner is torn to make sure that it is the same card (it really is).
Meeting point is the best in my opinion, especially if you use Gatean Blooms Intercessor with it so you have the torn corner bit. This is a killer when done this way.
Just some general questions for those who have "Meeting Point" . . .

I can see where Intercessor would be very helpful in creating a card thru window effect, what I would like to know is:

Does Meeting Point require a stooge?

Jason
No it does not. :D Tempting isn't it? Go buy it!! haha..
Check out hocus pocus. They recently had Kennedy's on sale for $75 dollars, I think as a close out.
[quote]
On 2003-03-24 00:48, walterh wrote:
Check out hocus pocus. They recently had Kennedy's on sale for $75 dollars, I think as a close out.
[/quote]

The lowest I've ever seen Hocus-Pocus sell Kennedy's CTW is $170. That is the currect price for 'members'.
[url=http://www.mylovelyassistant.com/index.php?module=MlaReviews&func=display&rid=281&iid=4651&cid=0]Another opinion[/url] on Meeting Point.
I don't really like Marvey's version because of the restrictions. I don't know about Kennedy's, but Anton's Meeting Point is pretty good. Less restrictions and simple to do. The price is also very good for a Card Thru Window effect.
I enjoy all of them. Each one is perfect for different situations
The Kennedy version is great, and the best offered to date. That's not to say its without limitations, but of all available it solves the key problems most efficiently without creating too many others. The final penetration of the corner through the window is as close to the imagined effect as one can get.

Personally, I don't think the price is too high. There is a lot of work in that routine, not just in the production of the gimmick but in the 20 years that John has been thinking about it. To a working professional, or someone who really loves the art, no price is too high for the right effect. Hence it disturbed me to see someone post that "no effect in the world should cost that much."

I bothers me that the value of magic is seen entirely in terms of dollars and cents. But if we must look at it that way, I guarantee you John spent well over the $185 in time, energy, and equipment for the creation of this incarnation of 20 years of work.