(Close Window)
Topic: Anyone else here an artist of some sort?
I have a non-magic question and don't know the best place to post, so I will try here.

I realize that Magic an art form, so one would assume that many magicians would be artistically inclined. I have noticed that many of the folks here are also into some other type of art. Some seem to be full time professional artists, others seem to be have art as another hobby. I am a graphic designer and painter. There just seems to be a high percentage of artist here, so anyone else care to share about their other passion?

Thanks
Not exactly art/graphic design, etc., but...

I play guitar, mandolin, bass, and hopefully banjo at some point in the not too distant future (I don't own one yet)!

I love music. It's been my passion for 15yrs+...and it's not going away, it's just playing second fiddle to magic at the moment. I'm more inclined to magic than music currently; although I'll never be without a guitar, especially not in my house.
B.S. artist here.
Whether I'm an artist or not is probably debatable. ;)
Over the years I've worked with a few mediums, including watercolors, pastels, clay, wood, computer graphics, and other stuff.

I sometimes dabble in writing poetry.

I also used to create modules for Advanced Dungeons & Dragons for the group I played with.

I always liked creative endeavors.
As with Jaz, I dabble in a few things - music, drawing, and woodworking. I think I enjoy those things, along with magic, because of the creative aspect.
I oil paint, airbrush a little (still learning), draw, etc. Started going to art school after high school, but decided to change majors. I wish I would have stuck it through.
Rory
I'm a creative director at a television network. Does that count? I work with artists all day long. Some say my job is like herding cats...
Lots of very creative people here. Besides graphic design and painting, I also do wood working and am just starting in stained glass. I find that magic is simply another creative outlet for me. I have been to a couple of websites of members here who are artists, some fantastic work.

And certainly, anyone in the performing arts, such and music and acting, would also be drawn to magic.
Good enough to get paid to:

Design new products in electronics.
Audio engineer, own a small recording studio.
Oil painting, landscapes, wet-on-wet method.

Dabble in:
Playing drums, keyboards, guitar.
Arranging and composing music.

Serious study and commitment major time to:
Magic and violin.
Jazz Mugician. (Music/Magic) Jam in the arts. Take solos. Riffs. Creativity is the key. Master the medium and improvise.

:magicrabbit:
Drummer of 15 years. Everything from the professional wedding circuit in New York City to high energy punk rock.

http://www.myspace.com/etceteraband

Check out the March, 2006 issue of DRUM! magazine, page 28. :)

-Vinny
I too am a Graphic Designer, working on advertising, publications, and web sites. I also play the keyboard... Well, still getting there, but I can knock-out a melody.

Wulfie
Message: Posted by: The Amazing Noobini (Jan 31, 2008 07:22PM)
I am a failed filmmaker and writer, who once studied in an art school to be a painter and then in a film school in order to make something that the world could discover and rave about. It didn't. I then tried to be a photographer for a while ( http://www.stormhalvorsen.com/ ) as well as a graphic designer ( http://www.cookiefactory.no/html/designmain.htm ).

But nobody has ever been interested in anything else than to try and make me work for free building web pages and cheesy ads for them. All meaningless junk. Nobody cares about content in this world.

Currently I am burned out and bitter and old and unemployed, which is why I started with magic last year as an alternative to razor blades. I also play the guitar, but after 20 years, I still haven't learned a single tune by someone else.

I won't contribute to spreading more meaningless imagery and text into the world, so at 38, I retired. And I'll leave it to others to decide if anything I have ever done is art or not. Probably not. I no longer care.
Noobini,

Dude, your graphic design and photography are fantastic, really.
I too am burned out, but I have to keep paying the bills and need money to buy more magic stuff!
I dabble in graphic design too as a hobby... I'm also trying to learn to play the guitar.
Is a radio D.J. considered an "artist"?

Been broadcasting for over 35 years.

Doug
Noobini, I just took a look at those sites, and those are pretty darn artistic if you ask me. I liked them; they said a lot.

As for me, I'm a writer and used to be a professional actor....I have an idea that I'd be good as a director....i have a really big imagination, so....
Message: Posted by: The Amazing Noobini (Feb 10, 2008 04:59PM)
Thanks a lot, MrMajestic! Me, I am extremely impressed by people who are able to act! Since my dream was to be a filmmaker, I read a bit of acting theory when I worked at a library where they had a nice section of such literature. Many years ago. The Method and things like that. Just to be able to understand actors and their craft better. But it made me want to act myself as well. Which I could never do. Simply too cowardly to open up.
I'm a Car Artist. Currently I am restoring a 66 Mustang Coupe.
Message: Posted by: The Amazing Noobini (Feb 10, 2008 08:57PM)
[quote]
On 2008-02-10 19:20, state wrote:
I'm a Car Artist. Currently I am restoring a 66 Mustang Coupe.
[/quote]

I believe this officially makes you cooler than the rest of us.
Uhm. Kind'a. But my art is not conventional. =( so it's not considered art.
I am starting to do preproduction on a stop motion animated film. I have always wanted to do it so....hope it wont suck.
Studying to become a professional film maker. I create short films weekly and if all goes well will be opening up my productions company in the coming months!

Mitchell
I don't do 'fine art,' but I do dabble in 'common' art:
Cartooning
Poser art (DAZ Studio)
Figure kit collecting/building&painting/dioramas/customizing

I won a gold award and 'best of show' for a customized action figure at Louisville Wonderfest in 1999 (figure kit enthusiast fantasy con):

http://homepage.mac.com/cdkalb/spider/collectibles/ca.html
Yep.
I enjoy drawing. I did the illustrations for a couple of soft cover magic books a number of years ago.
Yep, also.
Sure enough!
Sculptor, glass etcher, musician and writer.
I have sculptures and etchings in several shops and galleries right now and write scripts for a murder mystery dinner theatre. The only one of these skills I don't utilize on a regular basis is my music.
Just haven't figured out how to fit it in yet...
Gwyd
Stained glass ... and lampworked beads for jewelry. Tried to do glass blowing and took a lesson from a master blower (now now)but it wasnt for me. Too expensive to get into and my lungs aint what they used to be. So sometimes I show up at a magic gig with cuts and burns. Photos of some of the glass can be found at
http://www.warner-criv.com/picturealbums/public_albumlist.aspx?un=alohamagic
Illustration Major in College. Color Separator for my day to day.
Sculpture, both glass and metal.

and "yep" as well.

Brett.
Lots art artists here, I know there are even more.
I have seen folks talk about it in other threads.

Very creative bunch we have here.
Musician (guitar, mandolin, fiddle, bass and some drums), pencil drawings, painting (no formal training but I was featured in a juried art exhibit), and writing poetry. I am a retired systems engineer and part time real estate agent. Other than that, no...
Also a graphic artist here. musician also (guitar, drums) also into oil paintings, charcoal and pencil drawing. magicians are really talented. : )

JP
I love to record music and have release 5 cd's in my spare time. Mainly I write and record children's music these days as I also perform my music shows along with my magic shows at children's festivals and music festivals througout western Canada every year.

Here is my music site which is completely seperate than my magic site.

http://www.zanyzack.ca
I drum. I also write and arrange music. But no one ever cared.
I got paid well to play music I didn't even know, but no one cared about my art.
So I gave it up. I'd rather not do it at all than do what I was doing.
It nearly tore me apart.
So now I do magic.
No band pressure. No B.S. (well different B.S. but more tolerable)
I love the fact that it's just me.
If something goes wrong it's MY fault. That I can handle.
Magic makes life fun.
I dabble in everything.... painting, drawing, sculpture, web design, computer graphics, music.
Lately I've been trying to concentrate on movies though; as it's my first love. :)
Yes anything creative, from oil to iron, from clay to canvas. I love working with my hands making the thing my mind can think up.
Message: Posted by: Josh the Superfluous (Jul 27, 2008 10:48PM)
Crayons to computers, photo, video, music.
Soda cans !!

Got links below in my tags.
[quote]
On 2008-01-31 11:13, professorwhut wrote:
...I realize that Magic an art form, so one would assume that many magicians would be artistically inclined...
[/quote]

Very good assumption. Naturally, I think there is potential for artistic ability across the board. I like all kinds of art and have done work in many different areas. I do consider myself an artist, and some have actually said I am one. :yippee:

I've been working a little at woodburning again, lately, among other things. Also, recently publicized this sketch...

[img]http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x436/magicalaurie/PB270067-1.jpg[/img]

I LOVE cows, too. :happyxmas:
I've always enjoyed designing, building and painting props and acts. Also, I've enjoyed illustrating for the Magic field.
I used to do quite a bit of cartoons. Had them in some local 'zines and free papers, but nothing big. I sure enjoyed it. We had to do a drawing task for one of my classes this quarter and everyone said I was the best "draw-er" :)
And I write a lot of short stories. I'd like to get some into some magazines or something one of these days. Maybe horror or sci-fi anthologies, that would be cool.
Fused glass..... jewelry, dinner plates, ikebana bowls, sushi plates etc.
I have an art degree and have put my creative talents to use in the advertising world for over 25 years. I've created hundreds of commercials and ads for a variety of clients. I also enjoy photography and watercolor painting. I also love going to art and design museums for inspiration. Never get tired of it.
I consider myself first and foremost an artist, though my "art" is philosophy. No one has ever really questioned me about this, which is interesting; apparently we're willing to accept any definition of art whatsoever these days--without explanation. Kinda weakens the meaning of art altogether, if everything can be art. If you ask me. But no one asked me.
It's the way you do it that makes it art.
I'm a theatrical designer, although I don't consider it "art." Certainly it's creative, and hopefully my sets are cool to look at, and they darn well better support the production, and all that, but they don't stand on their own as self-contained "pieces that make their own statement." They're more like physical solutions to specific problems.

Now, if someone wants to hire me to do a set, they can call it art or anything else they want... after they pay me. :)
[quote]
On 2011-12-10 14:43, stoneunhinged wrote:
Kinda weakens the meaning of art altogether, if everything can be art. If you ask me. But no one asked me.
[/quote]

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:
Graphic artist in traditional media as well as CGI stills and animation. I am a musician - keys and vocals. Related to music is synthesizer programming which is as much an art as a science.

I tried poetry once and couldn't find a rhyme for orange. :(

Ahimsa,
Vlad
"door hinge"
In these parts we say "R-inj."