(Close Window)
Topic: Slydini Silks vs Sly Scarves
I am planning to purchase Tony Clark's Sly Scarves.
I'm wondering if there is a difference between the silks Tony Clark uses and the Slydini silks? Hope people here can help.
Thanks
Nope, Clarke sells just what you need.

What makes a Slidini silk/scarf is the material it is made from (not silk) and the contrasting color thread to tell you where you are in the knot business (you know what I mean).

There are others out there making the necessary scarves in different sizes and colors. For example look at the red versions at the Ambitious Card site; they come in both the standard and a very large stage size. http://www.theambitiouscard.com/aitem.cfm?itemid=53

Palmer Tilden (who by the way owns the manufacturing rights to the Slydini silks) magic makes them in both the 18-inch and 24-inch size and even sells an inexpensive "training silks" set to get you started and not dirty up your working set (if you are serious about this being a regular feature of your act, buy several sets!). Palmer magic can be found at:
http://www.palmermagic.com/slydini_silks.html

Heck, Penguin magic even sells an inexpensive set:
http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=902

All of them have the addition that Slydini developed to help you know what is what doing the trick.
Thanks Harry.

Yes I am aware of the thread and the rip-proof parachute material that the Slydini 'Silks' are made of, but I heard the Tony Clark 'silks' are of a different material. Anyone owns both? are there any difference? I think the original Slydini silks look a little transparent.

Thanks

howe
I have Clark's and they are nice, well made, and do the job. The original Slydini silks were a bit more transparent than any of the one's being produced today (that I have actually handled) because Slydini had his made of surplus WWII parachute material (Rayon).

I've own (custom size and color) Frank Starsini’s version (Ambitious Card.com). I use these most often (again I had Frank custom make them for me). I have Tony Clark’s and carry them with me to parties. They are a joy to work with.

I’ve owned Tilden Palmer’s version and I even owned a set sold by Slydini himself. They all are pretty much the same in handling.

Let me say this, I have also used men’s cotton handkerchief’s and they worked just as well. I first learned the trick as Charlie Edwards “self untying knots” years before I heard or saw Slydini. That’s how it was done. Frankly, almost any hank will work, the so-called Slydini silks/scarves just make it easier and last longer given the abuse the routine gives the material. I’ve even used standard magician silks to perform the routine.
Thanks again for the info Harry.

I pretty much know the handling of the routine, and I have also seen Bill Malone's presentation his in On The Loose DVD.

I might just got for a set of 'training' sliks now, from Palmermagic.
I think regular magician's silk will get ripped in half when I do this. :)
Slydini only added the contrasting color thread as an aide to learning the routine. He didn't use a set like that himself, and his better students regarded it only as training wheels that got dropped off once they were up and running. I first studied the routine with Slydini when I was 15 years old, and once you really understand the routine and the knots, you do not need the contrasting color thread. Having said that, I did use them that way for a long time, and it never presented a problem. If you're doing the routine as Slydini did, the handling takes away all suspicion from the scarves being gimmicked in any way.

Bill Brunelle
[quote]
On 2008-02-02 23:55, Harry Murphy wrote:
Let me say this, I have also used men’s cotton handkerchief’s and they worked just as well. I first learned the trick as Charlie Edwards “self untying knots” years before I heard or saw Slydini. That’s how it was done. Frankly, almost any hank will work, the so-called Slydini silks/scarves just make it easier and last longer given the abuse the routine gives the material. I’ve even used standard magician silks to perform the routine.
[/quote]
They work well, but the hem has to be very small. It's much easier to find hankies with tiny hems, today, than in Charlie Edwards' day.