(Close Window)
Topic: The Highest Quality of Rope?
Message: Posted by: SpellbinderEntertainment (Feb 2, 2008 12:41PM)
Piggy-backing on the "cheap rope at Wal-Mart" thread,
and looking at the total opposite...

What does everyone / anyone consider the "Tiffany" of rope?

Fine cotton, thick, heavy, white, rope with a core,
that moves like a dream... and cuts like butter?

To heck with cost (well almost heck).
What do you consider the Cadillac of magicians' rope?

And why do you feel it's the most elegant and luxurious to use,
and where is the best source to obtain it?

Magically,
Walt
Great question. I keep trying to find the cheap stuff at Wal-Mart! One of these days...

Mark.
Well, some have the "elite rope", some have euro-rope, Camarand magic carries good stuff, loftus has low cost hollow core, India rope has its moments if you can get past the formaldehyde smell, Georgia rope companies have stopped making cotton rope.
Problem is, if you combine gimmicks with standard rope, you have to match your props or make new ones. Then you sacrifice a bit for continuity.
Of late, cotton hollow core, 5/8" or better is my cup of tea. Up until last year I was selling 1/4" classic rope and wouldn't have used anything else.
I like Daryl's rope because it is round, the Fun Inc rope is good too. If you send the good stuff to the dry cleaner it will stay pure white.
I second Daryl's, absolutely the best, just wish it came in larger lengths.
The only non hardware store type I've tried is the 7mm Elite Magicians Rope and my only complaint is that it's isn't round. I found some 3/8 inch cotton poly blend with a easy to remove core but I only found 15 feet of it and haven't found anymore. I'm going to order some of Daryl's next! Double diamond braid boat line is sweet but EXPENSIVE!
Ian
Before I order a set made for me by Pavel who's linking ropes do you use?
I started out with the original method by e.j. moore, which was distributed thru d.robbins. (I have one unopened set left). This was made with the "classic" 1/4" cotton rope.
Although I had that in my lecture and on the dvd you have, Robbins had switched to an India cotton version which was really bad.
Now, I am using a Chinese Import that uses the Euro-rope cotton braided soft rope. From a dealers point of view, I can sell it and deliver it for $10 a set, which is pretty reasonable. They are great for stage, HUGE. The long ropes are 50", so the loops when tied are 22" circumference.
The gaff is virtually invisible, so I am sold on it. Now, I have not seen Pavels work, so I can't compare. I have seen pavels Krazy knot snaps, and they are unnoticeable.
I am trying to get matching rope to the Chinese one, so I can have the continuity when doing cut and restored routines. Those Linking ropes in my current demos, are just a tad long for the variations I do, but for stage..they look great. I am considering shortening them a bit, due to the fact that I hold the linking ropes in full length before I tie them.
Note: I will be including that set with my new dvd. I am also releasing a dvd on the standard method of the linking ropes to be distributed as a low-end accessory dvd for shops (that will have a few "bonus effects).
Hello:

This is the best rope I've found:

http://www.stevensmagic.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=5970

As far as I know, it's a Stevens' exclusive. Others that I've tried include Elite Rope (both sizes), Fun Inc, and Daryl's. They're all exellent too, but I like this the best. At one time, Daryl sold a thick, round rope which he imported from France, but I don't know if he still has it - it was almost exactly to Pavel's rope, but matte white instead of off-white.

Ron
Ian
Pavel's rope tricks are of unbeatable quality, but not the pure white rope that you use. I can get a great set from Bob Little, but he is so vague, and says the ones he sells is from Japan, but I like to do business with him because Bob is a legend.
Message: Posted by: SpellbinderEntertainment (Feb 3, 2008 11:28AM)
Ron! Thanks for the Steven's link, I'll check that out.

So far Daryl's and Stevens seem the highest quality ranked,
how do they compare?

Any other "dream" ropes that you'd call best-of-the-best?

Thanks, Walt
Walt
Denny Haines sells some good rope too.
[quote]
On 2008-02-03 08:04, Ron Reid wrote:
Hello:

This is the best rope I've found:

http://www.stevensmagic.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=5970

As far as I know, it's a Stevens' exclusive. Others that I've tried include Elite Rope (both sizes), Fun Inc, and Daryl's. They're all exellent too, but I like this the best. At one time, Daryl sold a thick, round rope which he imported from France, but I don't know if he still has it - it was almost exactly to Pavel's rope, but matte white instead of off-white.

Ron
[/quote]
the Stevens rope looks like the various ropes that Empire magic sells..But I spoke to Gene Loftus and he sells to Stevens.
http://empiremagic.com/docs/rope20.html
Not as pricey.

I believe its the Camirand connection. camirand sells to Murphy who sells to shops.
http://www.camirandmagic.com/rope_tricks.html#Magician_Rope
These are all competitors.. any dealer like myself, can get rope.

Another great source both wholesale and retail is George Schindler, Show-biz services, who also sells the elite rope.
[quote]
On 2008-02-03 10:36, Al Angello wrote:
Ian
Pavel's rope tricks are of unbeatable quality, but not the pure white rope that you use. I can get a great set from Bob Little, but he is so vague, and says the ones he sells is from Japan, but I like to do business with him because Bob is a legend.
[/quote]

Daryl also says his rope is from Japan. I wish I knew where these guys were buying their stuff because I'm in Japan, and I'd rather not have to re-import to get quality rope! I guess the search continues... In the meantime, I'm using re-imported Daryl rope.

Bill
Hey Bill,
I'll trade $100 or some great magic for a manufacturers name in Japan when you find it. I am thinking though, that Jeremy Pei http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCDH9tq_Qgo has the source. I seem to remember that he is associated with a magic company.
Magic Ian, if I find it, I think we'll be able to work out a deal. I have to find it first though...

Bill
I have been searching, as I have been snubbed by Camarand and told I must go thru their distributors and buy wholesale rather than in bulk.
I was buying cotton 1/4" by the pound until the Georgia rope guys discontinued it. I have some new effects and old ideas I want to use with the hollow core stuff, and I need a solid source. I can at any time, buy it wholesale. I am looking for the factory.
Back to Spellbinder, the Cadillac of rope costs as much as a Cadillacs gas budget.
Cheap rope will do the job, but I am sold on the visual classy look of the rope that Tabary uses. I might use the thinner version on some ocassions.
Message: Posted by: SpellbinderEntertainment (Feb 8, 2008 12:28PM)
Thanks everyone for your discussion and suggestions!

With my show style and clientele I must use high-quality, highly visual, expensive looking rope.

I’m fine paying “Cadillac” prices for “Cadillac” quality.

It’s just “cost of doing business” for me,
so long as it’s the right rope with a “Tiffany” look to it.

I found Daryl will sell longer lengths of his rope (generally ten-foot pieces)
uncut, if you request him to send full-lengths, the price per-foot remains the same.

Magically,
Walt
FYI
I just got back my Daryl's rope from the dry cleaner, and they look like new.
I get my supply of professional white rope from http://www.themagicwarehouse.com

They have great customer service and fast delivery.
What is the best way to get a hold of Daryl so one can order longer lengths of his rope?

Thanks!

RevJohn
Message: Posted by: SpellbinderEntertainment (Feb 25, 2008 04:16PM)
Daryl's Thick Rope Link:

http://www.foolerdoolers.com/store/productdetail.asp?productid=300113

Walt
I have been searching for a good source on some rope and I believe I have one. I have a site http://www.rope.ws where I used to sell 1/4" cotton, but I am out right now. I will be carrying good quality thick rope soon.
Keep me in mind.

-Ian
Thanks for the link for the rope. I had seen that, but this is for the size Daryl has pre-cut. I am looking for his contact information as mentioned above. This way I can request a different length of rope

Thanks!

RevJohn
Message: Posted by: SpellbinderEntertainment (Feb 26, 2008 06:33PM)
PM'ed ya!
Walt
I actually have started a side business selling magicians rope. I currently carry 2 different sizes, 8mm and 10mm. The 8mm ropes are raw natural color, like off whate or cream, the 10mm ropes are bleached white. Both ropes are 100% cotton braided with core, and they come in 100meter (328 feet) coils.You can check it out at http://www.BaronianTrading.com or http://www.MagiciansRope.com. I'm also a member at the Magic Castle and will be participating at the Magic Castle Swap Meet on April 5th. If you have any questions, please contact me at dany@baroniantrading.com.
Dany
Welcome to the magic Café.
[quote]
On 2008-03-19 08:01, Al Angello wrote:
Dany
Welcome to the magic Café.
[/quote]
Thank you Al,
I've actually been a member for some time now, I just never really post and haven't been in here for quite some time. I'm usually in the Magic Castle forums.
Message: Posted by: SpellbinderEntertainment (Mar 20, 2008 11:26AM)
Thanks for the info Dany I'll have to try your stuff!
Walt
Dany
Your rope interests me. Am I correct in assuming that todays magic shop rope is 7/32" wide, but yours rope is 5/16", and 3/8" of an inch respectively?
Al,
Yes, the ropes that I carry are 5/16" (8mm), and 3/8" (10mm). Let me know if you would like to try some. Or if you're in the Los Angeles area, you can find me at the Magic Castle Swap Meet on April 5th.
You can also email me directly at dany@BaronianTrading.com.

Dany
Stevens: "Pro" Rope! Hollow braided 30-ft. $20.00
--------------------------------
Empire magic: Deluxe EuroRope, 3/8 inch diameter - 30 foot hank - $8.00 U.S.
Deluxe EuroRope, 3/8 inch diameter - 216 foot spool - $49.50 U.S. (Save $6.50 U.S.)

Super Deluxe EuroRope, 5/8 inch diameter - 30 foot hank - $14.50 U.S.
--------------------------------------------
Baronian: 10 mm or 3/8 inch $60 for 328'
--------------------------------------------------
Magic Ian: used to sell 1/4" $30 300' Now 500' $60
New rope: cored from Loftus List price 3/8" $60 volume price: $28 -300'
also 3/8" cotton with core for $10 for 50'.
------------------------
Daryl thick rope 11 feet $5.75

-------------
I have a problem using the really thick rope for cut and restored and some other intricate rope moves. Plus the ends fray.
----------
The 3/8" cored rope is tolerable.. but I am still partial to a diamond braid cotton over cotton. I have outgrown the cotton 1/4". I don't like the India cotton as the core is stringy and the weave is loose.
---------
If I am not cutting the rope, I like my Linking ropes diameter which is just around 1/2" but I can't seem to match it up with normal rope. The synthetics have no weight to them. The Baronian 3/8" stock can be had anywhere. It looks like a tight enough weave so it won't fray as much.
----------
Top of the line for me is still Empire Euro-rope which unfortunately he doesn't wholesale.
Some comparisons, the smallest is standard 1/4" cotton. The next size is the 3/8" same as Baronians (but his is a tighter weave and the weave is comparable to India rope import), the next size is my Linking ropes, then I have no idea who makes this giant cored rope.

http://stagetricks.com/ropesizes.JPG
Magician(Ian right?),
I bought your ropes before, I think you had said it was the last 300' that you had, they were decent quality..couldn't complain. But then I need to buy more and you were completely out. It was over a year ago. NOW LOOK WHAT YOU'VE CAUSED! The 5/16" ropes have core but are not stringy, and they come in the same color as you had as well. The 3/8" ropes have core as well but the batch that I have right now are stringy, I'm trying to get the manufacturer to make the core like the 5/16". The 3/8" are bleached white and pretty soft texture.

Breakdown for cost/foot..................

Stevens: "Pro" Rope! Hollow braided 30-ft. $20.00 ......approx. .66/ft
--------------------------------
Empire magic:
Deluxe EuroRope, 3/8 inch diameter - 30 foot hank - $8.00 U.S. ....approx .26/ft
Deluxe EuroRope, 3/8 inch diameter - 216 foot spool - $49.50 U.S. ...aprox .23/ft

Super Deluxe EuroRope, 5/8 inch diameter - 30 foot hank-$14.50 U.S. approx .48/ft
--------------------------------------------

Magic Ian:
used to sell 1/4" $30 300' Now 500' $60 ....approx .12/ft
New rope: cored from Loftus List price 3/8" $60 volume price: $28 -300'
also 3/8" cotton with core for $10 for 50'. NOT SURE WHAT YOU MEAN ABOUT THE NEW ROPE PART. $60 IS FOR HOW MUCH ROPE? AND $28 IS FOR 300'? .....THE $10 FOR 50FT IS ABOUT .20/FT.

Baronian:
8 mm or 5/16 inch $32 for 328'........comes to .0975/ft
10 mm or 3/8 inch $60 for 328' ........comes to .1829/ft
THIS IS BASED ON PURCHASING 1 COIL, the price starts dropping on multiple orders.
I'll be at the Magic Castle Swap Meet on April 5th if any of you are local. Also, I'm in the process of getting some colored rope in the 3/8", but they won't be available at the MC Swap Meet.
Message: Posted by: SpellbinderEntertainment (Mar 20, 2008 09:15PM)
Rope Wars?

They used to say:
"Build a better mousetrap and the world will beat a path to your door."
They also used to say:
"Give a man enough rope and he will hang himself."
What have I started with this thread <grin>?

Magically,
Walt
Do you have any 1/2", or 5/8" real soft twisted cotton rope.
No wars, I was only describing the various ropes available. I do not sell any rope right now. I just started listing the Loftus rope due to a contract to buy linking ropes. I am desparately searching for a good rope.
I did actually sell the last rope I had to Baronian. The new rope I can get is from my Jersey supplier and I haven't bought any yet. The list price I mentioned was based on his catalog price.
The purpose of all of the prices I posted was to compare all of the ropes, as we all seem to have descriminating tastes. Alas, all the dealers seem to have similar sources. Yes Walt, you are a trouble maker, but this is a very friendly post all around as you can see that we have all dealt with each other.
-------------
When D. Robbins decided to discontinue the 1/4" cotton rope, I bought close-outs from a similar factory source in Georgia, until the supply finally ran out. At one point, Robbins actually bought some from me to satisfy his customers. My intent was to buy American as long as possible.
----------
But, again, my supply ran out. The only cotton rope was the thin stranded cotton core rope which I really find rough to work with. Not only due to the difference in the core, but due to the formaldehyde that India was using in the water rinse.
-------------
I have been posting as many distributors as I could with their prices, but it is comparing apples to oranges. Only two of the six ropes available are the same.
--------------
The Daryl rope seems to be the most popular along with the parlour sized Euro rope.
I am a jobber and distributor and with a large International customer base, I am always seeking the best deals for my clients. I wasn't "dissing" the Baronian rope, only that it wasn't extroadinary. The way it was described made it sound like it was something unusual. We all can be as competitive as is necessary. I copied the prices as they were posted and never said anything about the best deal.
-------------------
The "new" part of my comment was "new to me". I bought some sample stock and subject to quantity, the price to me will vary enough that I can sell it for a lot less. Probably true of most bulk deals.
----------
I ideally would like a 3/8" cotton casing over a 5 strand cotton core. The India cotton has many many strands and it just feels wrong.
-----------
Obviously Baronian and I are friendly competitors and no derogatory comments were meant. Funny his site is http://www.magiciansrope.com, I tried to get that name. I opted for for http://www.rope.ws cause it was easier to type.
--------
You guys are too funny. There is no rope war. I was merely breaking down the price per foot just to show what people would be paying. When the prices are listed as Ian had, sometimes it looks deceiving as to what it actually "costs".
Everyone and anyone that performs with ropes are used to a certain type of rope. I know that good quality rope is difficult to find. I first bought about 12,500 meters from a company in China, and after ordering from the sample they sent me, the actual ropes that they ended up sending me was thinner than the sample.

Luckily I sold a small portion of them to some people in the states, and ended up selling the remainder (9k meters) to someone in Australia that makes magic kits. I've sold my new ropes (5/16 and 3/8) to people on ebay and a few good magicians at the Magic Castle. The "Reviews" section in my email are actual responses, I haven't made anything up. I have 2 magicians that purchased a large quantity at one time and they are very happy. I can't disclose who they are, for business reasons, but one of them has a hilarious cut&restore routine and he/she is very well known.

The website http://www.MagiciansRope.com was actually obtained AFTER http://www.rope.ws. I don't know if you had tried to get it before, maybe you had spelled it differently. But I'll sell it to you for a wonderful price of $1,000,000 USD....just kidding, not currently for sale, unless it's an offer that I can't refuse.

Anyway, there's plenty of room for business/competition. Ian was very nice when we communicated before I purchased the ropes from him. Like I said before, if he had the inventory before when I needed ropes, I wouldn't be so tied up :)
I welcome any competition, there are plenty of different ropes out there (color, texture, quality, etc.). My ropes DO come from India, and are made to MY specifications, they are not ropes that the company just has in stock. I've been back and forth with them to get it right, and currently working on a higher end rope...and if Daryl is reading this then that's great. I'm a one man show, work from my garage, and this is just a side business for me. I'm also in real estate and my full time job is a District Sales Manager for General Motors.

My intention is to become the one source for magicians rope. And inch by inch I will get there.

AND THERE IS NO ROPE WAR! Just comparing red apples to green apples. :)

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On 2008-03-20 22:23, Al Angello wrote:
Do you have any 1/2", or 5/8" real soft twisted cotton rope.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Al,
Unfortunately I don't carry any twisted rope. They get untwisted when you work with cut & restor routines or any routine that involves cutting. I only carry cotton braided rope with core at the moment.
Al, Like Dani said, unless you have a specific reason to want twisted cotton, it has a lot of drawbacks.
Now, I can get that twisted from my "horse" supplier, and so can you. Most tack shops carry the twisted cotton as leads. I had some 1" diameter I used for cords of fantasia that were marvelous.
-------------
The absolute best magicians rope I found was hanging off of a high priced umbrella at a restaurant. It was over 1/2" braided cotton over cotton strands and soft as could be. But, alas, no manufacturers label.
----------
There are some great curtain tie-back cords that are available in the fabric shops that are twisted and great colors.
---------------
I got some 1/2" twisted drapery cord from Dennis Loomis for his rope trick because the Will Rogers snap knot is easier with a soft twisted rope, but when I look at the drapery cords availible at the fabric stores it is too stiff to use, so I would like to find some twisted 1/2" soft cotton rope for that reason.
Wal-Mart does have cheap cotton rope on sale, it is only about 1/4" in dia. Abbott's sells rope on a huge spool. This is use for the cut and restored rope. It is about 3/8" in dia. Abbott's always carried the best rope to my way of thinking. You could easily pull out the core strings if necessary.
Hello All,
This Saturday, April 5th, is the Magic Castle Swap Meet where I'll be participating with my magicians' rope. Last year, in October, was my first time attending the swap meet as a vendor, and I didn't exactly have the ideal ropes for magic. What I did have with me at that time were the samples of ropes that a lot of people were interested in. Well...this time, I have those ropes in stock and will be selling them at an excellent price. Make sure you come by and say hello, I'll be located in the Palace area.

Dany Baronian

Posted: Apr 4, 2008 2:19am

OK guys,
I've just finished making changes to the rope prices....it's not available online yet. This will be available only at the Magic Castle Swap Meet for now. Starting next week the prices will be updated online for you to see and purchase. You already read the price breakdown that I gave earlier in this thread....you ain't seen nothin' yet! If you thought the prices I had were fair...well....you're just gonna have to come down to the Magic Castle or wait till next week.

Until then....I'm all tied up.
Thanks to my friend Ian I bought 10' of 1/2" cotton twisted rope. It was very stiff, so I sent it to the cleaner to get washed. I hope when it comes back it will be soft enough to work with.
I like the 10MM Elite Rope. Has anyone tried Hank Lee's Big Fat Rope?

Regan
I've been using Hank Lee's Big Fat Rope for Tabary moves for a number of years now, and I love it.

Murf
I've mentioned Hank Lee's Big Fat Rope several times on different threads. It is great. I love the stuff!
I can verify that the big fat rope is good stuff, my friend Andy sent me some and I love it.
Thanks Andy
Al

PS- I can't seem to find that 1/2" twisted rope you use for the Dennis Loomis routine. I bought some 1/2" cotton, my wife has washed several times but it is not soft enough yet.
I just purhcased (2) 200' hanks of colored rope from Ian (www.ropes.ws). He responded quickly to all of my questions, shipped the rope immediately, the product arrived quickly and it was exactly what I was looking for. Just great service all around!

Cesar
Cesar
Ian has rope?
[quote]
On 2008-04-12 10:37, Cesar Munoz wrote:
I just purhcased (2) 200' hanks of colored rope from Ian (www.ropes.ws). He responded quickly to all of my questions, shipped the rope immediately, the product arrived quickly and it was exactly what I was looking for. Just great service all around!

Cesar
[/quote]
Those were 300' of rope in each ball. Total of 600' of rope. Hollow core. It's not cotton, but it looks and feels like it. Handles well, easy cut. Pictures on the site http://www.rope.ws
Thanks for the great comment.
I purchased some awesome Euro rope from [url=http://www.empiremagic.com/docs/rope20.html]HERE[/url] ..
Hello everyone,
It's been a while, but I'm back. After the last Magic Castle Swap Meet I ran out of rope, so I haven't been around. I just received new inventory last week (Sept 3). I have restocked what I originally had, and now I have newer ropes as well. I haven't updated my website yet because I'm still going through the inventory and have to make price adjustments (should be lower than currently listed).
Those of you in the Los Angeles area, the Magic Castle Swap Meet will be held on October 18, 2008. It will be my 3rd time participating. Hope to see you there.

Dany Baronian
Baronian Trading Company
When it was available; I relied heavily on Super Rope which Neal Prete was selling. It had a nylon like quality, yet was soft, easy to handle and remained very clean. It's almost slippery feel was great for several of my original effects because of low drag as it moved through the hands and across my fingers. The rope could also be joined and spliced together by simply heat melting the ends and pressing them together to cool. No threads or needles, no glue.

I still have several hanks in different colors, red, blue, green, yellow, black and silver plus white.

Kotah
Update
No matter how many times I washed that 1/2" twisted cotton rope it never got soft enough to work with, so I now keep it under my bed. (hint, nod, wink)

Kotah
I will see Neal Prete on November 2nd at Metro Magic 4, and I'll ask him about that rope you spoke of.
Hi Al, I sent you a PM.

Ron
Agree with me or not, I have replaced two rope routines that I cary in my bag with Jeremy Pei's striped rope. It is both easy to work with and visible at a long distance. I now do my PN with a ring routine, and my six knots disapearing rope trick with Jeremy's rope.
Thanks Jeremy
[quote]
On 2008-09-13 11:55, Al Angello wrote:
Agree with me or not, I have replaced two rope routines that I cary in my bag with Jeremy Pei's striped rope. It is both easy to work with and visible at a long distance. I now do my PN with a ring routine, and my six knots disapearing rope trick with Jeremy's rope.
Thanks Jeremy
[/quote]
I am not satisfied with Jeremy's rope, it frays and cuts harder than cotton, and I know there is better stuff out there. Plus, it is not Jeremy pei's striped rope, it is rope that jeremy bought from a rope vendor, that he happens to use in his routine.
Hi Ian,

Firstly, I never said it is my rope. I do not manufacture ropes therefore it is not "My Rope", however it has been the type of ropes which I use for my rope sets for the past 8 years and so far everyone is satisfied. I like to confess one more time that never once in any ads or dvds etc, I mention that this is my rope. If this is a concern, a lot of magic supplies out there do not belong to the magic company or magicians as they got it from a supply too elsewhere.

Secondly, I never say it does not fray. If you are an experienced rope worker, you would know of various ways to prevent fray ends, like using white glue, tucking ends in or even using tape. I personally tuck the ends in for my sets as it is has a much cleaner look, and for my Linking Ropes Set I uses the Tape to show more clearly the ends.

Lastly, If you are using such expensive rope to do cut and restored rope effect, then I would not recommend as it is meant only for certain rope routines, it is not extremely expensive, but there are cheaper options out there. And also if you mention it is harder to cut to prepare ropes, maybe a new scissors or sharpening a pair of scissors would help. Other then that, it would be a compliment that it is more durable and yet soft and subtle.

Ps: I am now performing in Japan for a week and I bought some extremely good white ropes which is soft and extremely good for various routines, the downside is still they would get dirty easily. I am going to do some stuff with the Japanese ropes which I bought here and maybe something would come up.
[quote]
On 2008-09-13 13:19, ReDeFiNe wrote:
Hi Ian,

Firstly, I never said it is my rope. I do not manufacture ropes therefore it is not "My Rope", however it has been the type of ropes which I use for my rope sets for the past 8 years and so far everyone is satisfied. I like to confess one more time that never once in any ads or dvds etc, I mention that this is my rope. If this is a concern, a lot of magic supplies out there do not belong to the magic company or magicians as they got it from a supply too elsewhere.

Secondly, I never say it does not fray. If you are an experienced rope worker, you would know of various ways to prevent fray ends, like using white glue, tucking ends in or even using tape. I personally tuck the ends in for my sets as it is has a much cleaner look, and for my Linking Ropes Set I uses the Tape to show more clearly the ends.

Lastly, If you are using such expensive rope to do cut and restored rope effect, then I would not recommend as it is meant only for certain rope routines, it is not extremely expensive, but there are cheaper options out there. And also if you mention it is harder to cut to prepare ropes, maybe a new scissors or sharpening a pair of scissors would help. Other then that, it would be a compliment that it is more durable and yet soft and subtle.

Ps: I am now performing in Japan for a week and I bought some extremely good white ropes which is soft and extremely good for various routines, the downside is still they would get dirty easily. I am going to do some stuff with the Japanese ropes which I bought here and maybe something would come up.
[/quote]
My comment was not directed at you Jeremy, Al kept alluding to the fact that it was Jeremy's rope and I was being clear to him.
When you are a dealer like I am, you do any rope routine and chuck the thing when it soils or needs maintainance. When I did shows for Tannens camp, I would do an "in the news" and crumple it up after the trick. It's a dealer thing.
[quote]
On 2008-09-13 13:19, ReDeFiNe wrote:

Other then that, it would be a compliment that it is more durable and yet soft and subtle.

[/quote]

You mean "supple", Jeremy :)
Gentlemen
My hunt through out this thread was to find a suitable rope for the Dennis Loomis knot routine plus, and if you read all of my posts here you will see that I did not find rope suitable for this purpose until I bought some striped rope from Jeremy. If I have started a controversy here please forgive me. I happen to like both of you guys.

Jeremy
How many languages do you speak? If the answer is more than one I will forgive you for using subtle instead of supple.
[quote]
On 2008-04-13 07:53, joseph wrote:
I purchased some awesome Euro rope from [url=http://www.empiremagic.com/docs/rope20.html]HERE[/url] ..
[/quote]
I have purchased that nylon rope in the past from a local magic shop. No shop around me sells it anymore. Thank you for bringing it up Joseph.

I like that rope. The quality is good. The core is in one strand.

Anyone else have any more comments on it?
[quote]
On 2008-09-19 22:25, Al Angello wrote:
Gentlemen
My hunt through out this thread was to find a suitable rope for the Dennis Loomis knot routine plus, and if you read all of my posts here you will see that I did not find rope suitable for this purpose until I bought some striped rope from Jeremy. If I have started a controversy here please forgive me. I happen to like both of you guys.

Jeremy
How many languages do you speak? If the answer is more than one I will forgive you for using subtle instead of supple.
[/quote]

Hi Al,

I do thank you very much for praising the quality of the ropes which I use for my sets.

I do speak more then one language of course... didn't check my post as I typed it midnight in Tokyo Japan after a long day of work.

Jeremy
I have purchased Dany's 10MM - 3/8" Rope and can
honestly say that it is EXCELLENT Rope!!! :thumbsup:

=Frank=
Hey Frank,
Thank you, I appreciate it. Wait til you see what I have in stock now...Magic Castle Swap Meet, Oct 18, I'll be in the Palace.

Dany
Ooooo! Can't wait!

I will see you there!

=Frank=
Hello Frank,
how did you REALLY feel about the ropes?
I can vouch for Dany's rope, both quality and price are excellent. Got a big spool at the spring Swap, loved it and then ran out 2/3rds thru the season...scrambled all over the dollar stores looking for suitable hanks.

This last Swap, I picked up 2 reels of his new fat rope. Love it. I can make a 5' length last 3 shows, so the cost is minimal.

If you crank thru lengths of rope because of the effects that you do, and don't want to compromise the look of the effect by using cheap carppy stuff...I'd recommend trying a 100m reel of Dany's rope. The cost is minimal and the look and feel is very good.

Rope is like Center Tears...we've all got our favorite for our own reasons. I like Dany's for cost and feel.
So what is difference between Dany's rope and Uday & Loftus rope?
[quote]
On 2008-10-28 13:42, Tom Jorgenson wrote:
I can vouch for Dany's rope, both quality and price are excellent. Got a big spool at the spring Swap, loved it and then ran out 2/3rds thru the season...scrambled all over the dollar stores looking for suitable hanks.

This last Swap, I picked up 2 reels of his new fat rope. Love it. I can make a 5' length last 3 shows, so the cost is minimal.

If you crank thru lengths of rope because of the effects that you do, and don't want to compromise the look of the effect by using cheap carppy stuff...I'd recommend trying a 100m reel of Dany's rope. The cost is minimal and the look and feel is very good.

Rope is like Center Tears...we've all got our favorite for our own reasons. I like Dany's for cost and feel.
[/quote]

Hello Tom,
I'm trying to put a face to the name but I can't!!! But thank you so much for the kind words. At anytime you are out of ropes, let me know. Either send me a private message through the Café, or come to my website http://www.BaronianTrading.com

Thank You
[quote]
On 2008-10-28 16:05, misterbill wrote:
So what is difference between Dany's rope and Uday & Loftus rope?
[/quote]

Hello Bill,
Honestly, the only way you're going to know the difference is to just give it a try. We can all claim that we carry the best ropes, but it may not be the BEST for YOU. Everyone has their favorite, and usually stick to it in fear of change. I am trying to expand my selection but it does take some time. Once I get something new I will post here. But give it a try...it's great ropes at great prices.

Dany Baronian
http://www.BaronianTrading.com
My opinion: Braided, hollow core- by elite, Empire, or Baronian.
Murphys magic distributes the elite, and is available to most dealers.
The Baronian company might make deals cause you deal with a real person, and exlusively rope.
------------
I carry loftus right now, hollow core nice diameter but synthetic but very close to cotton. $30 for 300' retail (my old cotton price). My opinion is that I would rather sell the cotton, but my customers won't go for the elite price. The loftus, for me is speculation and I am considering buying from Baronian because I like cotton. My site is http://www.rope.ws
-----------
I used to carry cotton in bulk from Georgia. 100% cotton core over cotton casing. This was most versatile for my lectures and rope effects. Nice and soft, unbleached with a remove-able 3 strand core. The source dried up.
------
D robbins started to carry some cotton with multi-strand 10 to 15 strands of string inside. At first it was soft, now it;s been coming in starchy and really sucks in feel and quality. It will cut, but it is a scratchy material.
----------
Walmart is the bottom of the barrel rope, good for emergency rope or tying a carcass to your hood. Not for magic.
-----------
My opinion, best quality, okay price, dollar for dollar is baronian or buy it wholesale in quantity.
-----------
Daryl rope is pricey and he is just reselling it. Good quality.
Ian,
Are you up to something? lol. I appreciate the plug.
For those who do "knot" know the story...my first bulk purchase (300') was from Ian. I needed good rope at a good price but wanted to buy enough to be able to practice, Ian was a good source. Unfortunately, I bought the last of his ropes. Then I decided, well 300 feet isn't really enough, I need to buy LOTS MORE. So I started making my own.

The 8mm ropes with core are great for practicing and maybe some close up material...that's what I use it for. But everyone has their own style and the types of ropes that they're use to.
All my other ropes work well for close up, parlour and stage.
In fact, I've been working on the Tabary routine, and I felt the most comfortable using the 10mm no core rope that I sell. I can use the 8mm too, but the 10mm coreless feels much better.
And actually, the 10mm no core rope that I sell is very similar to Daryls, but not as white.
Making your rope? You have a tube weaver or whatever? Cotton tube machine? Or do you have it made?
Either way, I am impressed or just professionally jealous.
Ok ok correction....I get rope made for me.
;)
Okay, while I am splitting hairs...is it made FOR you on your specs? Or, does it exist and you found a good source and buy the inventory? Cause, that's the way I buy rope. Ya gotta find that source.
I found an excellant source for "our" rope was thru an umbrella company who built the large umbrellas and used the rope 100% cotton 10mm to pull the umbrella open and tie it off.
They wouldn't let me have their supplier.
[quote]
On 2008-10-30 11:54, magicians wrote:
Okay, while I am splitting hairs...is it made FOR you on your specs? Or, does it exist and you found a good source and buy the inventory? Cause, that's the way I buy rope. Ya gotta find that source.
I found an excellant source for "our" rope was thru an umbrella company who built the large umbrellas and used the rope 100% cotton 10mm to pull the umbrella open and tie it off.
They wouldn't let me have their supplier.
[/quote]

Made FOR ME.
The camirand rope is awesome. it's not something I would use for scissor routines due to the price but 1 pack will make you at least 3 professor's nightmare setups.

The rope is very "responsive" becuase it has some weight to it. It's also beautiful and feels great, as well.

The stage rope is a bit too bulky/heavy to carry around at a strolling gig so I use the parlor rope for that.

If you care, the camirand rope also glows under black light.

For scissor routines the Loftus is great. I usually stuff some in the box as a sample so my customers know what it is and can decide if they like it.
I was in Home Depot and found some fun rope. Very soft poly rope, 3/8" diamond braid, removable core, $10 for 100 feet in many colors.
That is, it is one main color with two different colors braided in.
I picked up bright gold/ yellow with green and black flecks. The shine from the polyester gives it a bit of show business.

It is a little stiff with the core. The core is thick and comes out easily. Ends will fray but can be heated or taped.
Very easy to cut without the core and you could also make your own Indian Rope effects.
They had A dark pink, Blue and a Green. Sorry know white.

The colors really pop.
Made by Lehigh #MFP8100 "mildew resistant."

For any not tricks you have to make sure you tie tight since the knots can come undone easier than with cotton.
You are working too hard, and the price is not much more than most good cotton ropes. The bulk of guys looking for the holy graille of rope are guys who are trying to replace the loss of the good cotton ropes that were made in the U.S. for years and have just become unavailable.
The hardware store ropes in vinyl, polyester and anything other than soft cotton are problematic.
I sell 100' of hollow core synthetic rope for $10 and so do most shops, and baroniantrading has 328 feet of really nice cotton starting at $28, so why suffer with poor substitutes.
I like the Elite camirand 10mm rope. It's perfect for a Fiber Optics routine. The Daryl rope is nice and soft and thick, but too limp for Fiber Optics.

I bought the 10mm rope, and it still doesn't look as wide as what Richard Sanders uses on the F.O. video. I wonder what thickness he uses?

The Elite rope is great because it holds it's position for F.O. moves.

If you want to perform Fiber Optics, (which is great) try the Elite Camirand rope.

Just my two strands worth.

Paul
Hi Paul, just give it shot, you have nothing to lose.

Dany
BaronianTrading.com
[quote]
On 2008-12-18 10:33, taller8 wrote:
I like the Elite camirand 10mm rope. It's perfect for a Fiber Optics routine. The Daryl rope is nice and soft and thick, but too limp for Fiber Optics.

I bought the 10mm rope, and it still doesn't look as wide as what Richard Sanders uses on the F.O. video. I wonder what thickness he uses?

The Elite rope is great because it holds it's position for F.O. moves.

If you want to perform Fiber Optics, (which is great) try the Elite Camirand rope.

Just my two strands worth.

Paul
[/quote]

I agree 100%. I use both the stage rope and the parlor rope.
The parlor rope is perfect for strolling F.O. or Prof. NM.
What is the thickest white rope?

What is the thickest red rope?

Posted: Dec 24, 2008 7:43pm
Who sells black rope?
I have 15mm in white (no core), and 10mm with core in red.
[quote]
On 2008-12-24 19:43, Dynamike wrote:
Who sells black rope?
[/quote]

If you can't buy it, dye it. You can dye cotton rope with Rit Liquid Dyes from the grocery store. They come in all colors, including black:

http://www.ritdye.com/Liquids.28.51.5.lasso
Thanks for the link...I was using Hi-liters in a pinch, which work well...
I've had problems with the liquid dyes since they don't dye the inside threads. It looks great until you bend and stretch the rope a little, then the white shows up again. I've only experimentd a bit though... Do you have any advice? Do I need a looser weave?

Bill
In this world, there is black rope. Dependant upon what you want to do, you can go to a fabric store and find drapery rope with nice satin or silk casings. These are usually soft and pliable and great for non-cutting routines or cords of fantasia.
Another source for black rope are the "fetish" ropes available for bondage freaks.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230309940710
or
https://www.pleasuresafari.com/store/product.php?productid=29621&cat=0&page=84&js=n

Looks like the diameter of elite stage.

or
another one from UK
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/JAPANESE-Soft-BONDAGE-ROPE-32ft-BLACK--fetish-_W0QQitemZ120350046863QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20081215?IMSfp=TL081215121002r27769
3 colors
[quote]
On 2009-01-03 08:54, Billgussen wrote:
I've had problems with the liquid dyes since they don't dye the inside threads. It looks great until you bend and stretch the rope a little, then the white shows up again. I've only experimentd a bit though... Do you have any advice? Do I need a looser weave?

Bill
[/quote]

You need to pre-soak the rope in boiling water before you begin to dye. You should expect to dye the rope a few times, not just in and out, but let the rope dry, stretch it and flex it, and if you notice white spots, back into the boiling dye it goes. I didn't say it would be quick and easy; just that it works, and like everything, it works better or worse depending on the effort you put into making it work. We are too used to TV dinners, I think.
First, thanks for the great advice.

How long is a good pre-soak? Do you let it dry after the pre-soak, or does it go right into the dye after?

I'm not looking for quick and easy. If I wanted that, I wouldn't have even bothered trying to dye it myself in the first place. I'd just be looking for people who sell colored rope. But I am looking for pointers from people like yourself who've had success.

Thanks again,
Bill
Thanks for the advice and info guys.
Pre-soak: ten minutes in boiling water should do it. You can then pour the dye into the boiling pre-soak water, or lift the rope out and drop it right into the hot boiling dye in a separate container (if making different colors at one time). I get small stainless steel pots from the Dollar Store to use for this, cheap enough to have a separate one for each color of dye.
Thanks Professor! I'll try it out!!

Bill
Walt, thank you for starting this thread. I also want to thank all who kept participating to keep answering the questions and showing the links. I now have less investigating to do in finding out what fits in with my act the best. Thanks again for narrowing it down for us, guys.

Peace,

Dynamike
[quote]
On 2008-10-01 03:02, magicmanfrank wrote:
I have purchased Dany's 10MM - 3/8" Rope and can
honestly say that it is EXCELLENT Rope!!! :thumbsup:

=Frank=
[/quote]

I'll have to second what Frank has said. I just received my order of rope from Dany (10mm with core) and it is excellent rope! It has a good feel and nice "heft" to it. Check it out: http://baroniantrading.com/Ropes.html

I'll be using it for my routine with some Fiber Optics moves and for the Mongolian Pop-Knot (just starting to work on that). Delivery was quick and Dany answered all of my (many) questions quickly and thoroughly. Great customer service. In fact, I think of all those with whom I've dealt in magic, "rope" people are among the nicest and most helpful (for example, Ian is as nice a gentleman with whom one could ever hope to do business).

Regards, Steve
Hello Steve,
Just saw your post. Thank you for your kind words. I hope to hear from you agian very soon.
I use Denny & Lee's Deluxe Soft White Rope (216 Foot Spool) from Fun, Inc.
This is a classically beautiful clean bright white rope. Although it is a very soft rope,it is also versatile for all of your rope routines. This rope is highly visible enough for stage or platform. This rope really feels good and is economically the wisest decision. Denny also sells it in 30' Hanks. I recommend the 216 Foot spool of 3/8" thick rope. Saves you money in the long run. Buy this rope by the spool and stop running out whenever you need rope.

Price: $55.00 for one- 216 Foot Spool 3/8" White Rope

Disclaimer: I am not an employee of Denny & Lee's, nor do I have any interest in touting any one specific dealers shop. I know I always send folks to Denny's but let's be real. I personally think Denny is the most knowledgable, sincerely old school - caring about making you a better magician guy left. If you're ever in Las Vegas you better visit Tom, he manages at Denny & Lee's Las Vegas Studio. Scott also is there. There are probably well over 1000 items in the Las Vegas store and Scott knows where each one is - amazing. Both these guy's have almost 100 years experience between them, add Denny and you got almost 300 years! Don't be surprised if you run into a magician or 2 you have just seen on TV there reading the new magic magazine.
Hello All,
I wanted to let you all know that I now sell the High Leverage Shears on my website along with the ropes. I've been selling these Shears at the Magic Castle Swap Meet and have had great success. I finally updated my website with the shears. They are EXCELLENT! They're the same ones that Michael Finney uses, and they cut great. It cuts EVERY time with one try, cored or uncored.

Also, regarding the 3/8" spool from Garys post...I sell them for $50.25 and in a 328ft coil.

Dany
Hi guys,
Just wanted to let you all know that on October 10 the Magic Castle will be having their Magic Castle Swap Meet. If you are local or plan on being there, you can find me selling my ropes and shears in the Palace. Hope to see you there.

Dany Baronian
http://www.BaronianTrading.com
Hope this is the right place for this question.

So I've had the acrobatic knot by Daryl for a long time- but I can't find my "ropes". I was wondering if anyone knows how to make that type of rope? Im sure I have head Daryl says they are knitted. But I am wondering what sort of "knitting" is used?

Does anyone have any ideas?
Hi Dave,
Daryl used to get his ropes (BTC3) from me until....you know...
Baroniantrading.com
I get all my rope from Dany Baronian. It is the best. I use BTC5.

[img]https://i.pinimg.com/564x/c9/21/da/c921dabc06d47b287e30a4755e975481.jpg[/img]
[quote]On Dec 2, 2019, dbaronian wrote:
Hi Dave,
Daryl used to get his ropes (BTC3) from me until....you know...
Baroniantrading.com [/quote]

Ah! I'm so glad I found this thread, I loved the rope I got off Daryl.
I just ordered some rope from Dany. He sent me samples of the 4 types I was inquiring about to make sure I didn't buy the wrong type for the trick I am making. His rope is very high quality and his customer service is excellent.
Buy from him, you won't be disappointed.
Does anyone know who sell Daryls acrobatic knot made from rope and not the knitted type, I'm in uk,
[quote]On May 23, 2020, wally wrote:
Does anyone know who sell Daryls acrobatic knot made from rope and not the knitted type, I'm in uk, [/quote]

No one makes Daryl's Acrobatic Knot using rope any more. Daryl, changed over to the knitted rope at one point, and there was no choice given. The person who took over Daryl's merchandise does not offer a choice either.

You can try the second hand market here on the Café.
I believe that Pavel Magic still sells the original version made in red rope and will custom make a set using other colors.

http://www.pavelmagic.com/us/mainhome.php?p=fantastic_knot

Even with Pavel passing I believe his products are still being made and sold.