(Close Window)
Topic: Tarbell Course vs Mark Wilson
I am considering buying either Mark Wilson's book or the complete Tarbell Course. If I buy the Tarbell course, I would be able to have all 8 volumes in about 3 - 4 months.

Would one would you reccomend for a beginner? I know a few tricks that use gimmicks, and I am working on learning Sponge balls.

Also, it is my understanding that the Tarbell course is available on CD, but it is somewhat different than the books. Besides layout, what is the difference?
Save up for Tarbell's you will NOT regret it. Get the hardbound books and not the CD.

Pick up Wilson's book in the bargain bin at Borders, probably for under $10 and you will have a great book, with a ton of info to go through while waiting for your Tarbell set :)
[quote]
On 2008-02-03 15:38, tmoca wrote:
Save up for Tarbell's you will NOT regret it. Get the hardbound books and not the CD.

Pick up Wilson's book in the bargain bin at Borders, probably for under $10 and you will have a great book, with a ton of info to go through while waiting for your Tarbell set :)
[/quote]

I second this. Definitely Tarbell, and the books not the CD. Plus with Tarbell you can save yourself a ton of money on all the "new" effects now on the market that were originally published there in the first place.
Tarbell, if the essays are read and you work through the material, is a great set of books. Wilsons is also very good and gives you a wide assortment of magic effects. I turn to Tarbell far more often than Wilson.
I have the CD and love it. It's the original course. What's wrong with it?

Mark Wilson course is great. Although I would have liked to have seen more crediting in the Wilson course.
Nothing wrong with the cd, but some folks prefer to have the books. Besides, it hurts when you fall asleep reading in bed, and the computer falls on your face. Books are softer. Seriously though, it's just a preference thing, for me. I just don't like reading books on the computer screen.

Anyway, back on topic, I prefer Tarbell's to Wilson's, though Wilson's is a good book. It's just the way I was brought up (in a magical sense).
There is much more in the books than what is found in the original version as found on the CD, I think there are 90 effects on the CD.
Hi, Magic Santa. There are a lot more than 90 effects on the CD.

I think that vol. 7 is not found at all on the CD. But wasn't that the volume edited by H. Lorayne? Although I could be wrong...
Neither, get card college. That's the way to go friend.
Cameron, are you talking about Tarbell on CD as in the books or the original mailouts? I wasn't aware that Tarbell the books was on CD (and no one needs volume 8 unless they have a table that has a short let). If you don't mean just the original correspondance course then you are correct sir.

Tian, if he wants to learn magic overall why would he get Card College? If he asked what to get to learn card magic that would be the logical selection that that wasn't what he asked for.
I would suggest Mark Wilson course first. It doesn't have the complicated slights that are time consuming for a beginner. That book will give you plenty to present while you practice the tarbell routines.
Don
Just to keep the record straight, I didn't "edit" Tarbell #7 - I wrote it. And you know something? I'm biased, of course, but I'd recommend LORAYNE: THE CLASSIC COLLECTION, but only if you want to learn card magic. HL
My suggestion is that you really should aim for both of them. Go for Wilson first as it will "feed the need". Then get Tarbell. Being a mentalist more than magician, I don't refer to Tarbell as much as other books, but I do still refer to it.

If you are already have a good basis in magic, pass on Wilson for now and get Tarbell as Wilson is aimed more toward beginners. It is still a good book though.
Wilson is very good for those new enough to not really be sure they want to learn magic. It is a very solid book. Get Harry's book cuz he asked you to.
MagicSanta, no it's just the original course and post graduate course. Vol. 7 is not included.

The CD from lbrary.com, which contains the original 60 lessons, is 1646 pages. Each lesson contains at least four tricks. So we're talking 240 tricks at the very least. But there are more. Not sure where your getting 90 from.

Although the real gold in these lessons aren't the tricks. It's the essays.
I get it from a faulty memory! I aften confuse 60 with 90!
Message: Posted by: Andy the cardician (Feb 4, 2008 05:32PM)
No question - Tarbell
Tarbell also gets my vote. Eight volumes that have so much magic in them you will be embarrassed at the riches that await you.

The Mark Wilson course is good, but in my mind the Tarbell volumes are far more substantive and are not restricted to effects. Many of the essays are just as meaningful today as when Tarbell wrote them years ago.

By the way, get the BOOKS, NOT the CD. The CD is the original course. The books are the "new, expanded" course and the ones most referenced when people talk about the Tarbell course.

One last suggestion: check out Harry Lorayne's "The Magic Book".

Best,
Vlad
[quote]
On 2008-02-03 20:07, tian_ci wrote:
Neither, get card college. That's the way to go friend.
[/quote]
I believe he wants to learn more than just card magic.
Get Tarbell & The Mark Wilson Course as you will not regret it.
Rennie
They're both worth having. Assuming you can't have both, I'd say Tarbell. I'd rather go without Mark Wilson's book than the Tarbell series.
I'm going to say that there shouldn't even be a decision, get Tarbell first and then get MW when your funds allow, any beginning magic library will benefit from both.
Amazon offers the Mark Wilson Book for around five buck including shipping (used). Insist on new? Ten bucks including shipping.

They also have the Tarbell course new for $34 (Vol. 1 - 7). Get this one while it lasts.

If I could only choose one? I'd go with the Tarbell collection. But why only one? I own both Tarbell and Mark Wilson. Mark Wilson is worth skipping lunch for a couple of days. ;)

Dave
They have the entire Tarbell course for $34? Daaaaaaaaaaang!

Hey...wait a minute....David Bilan, Erdnase...bilan...andrews...Blain! I knew it!
Oh, Tarbell. No question.

Mr. Lorayne is quite correct about his collection. I had all the originals, got the collection and was able to gift the originals to my students and friends.

The Classic Collection has a HUGE quantity of GREAT stuff.

Sorry though Harry. I think there is more cool and obscure stuff in either:

Best of Friends or
Apocolypse.
Gee, how could you go wrong with any of these suggestions?

Mark Wilson -- for a quick fix or to quicly look up something you almost forgot. Just glance at the pictures, and it all comes back.

Tarbell -- either the course (which is on CD) so you can learn to be a wizard through an actual course of learning; or the hardback books, so you'll (eventually) know every principle, every foundation of magic and mentalism. EITHER will teach you how to routine your show. Of EITHER it can truly be said that those who learn 60% of the material (and 100% of the essays) could become the greatest magician of their day. Read Bamberg's (Fu Manchu) testimonial in either, for an example of a guy starting with Tarbell's original course and ending up with the biggest show in South America.

Harry Lorayne -- Anything. Really, anything by Harry is going to improve your lot. I strongly recommend starting with his *Magic Book* (Which is far too good to be labeled ONLY a beginner's book, but WILL make a professional out of a studious beginner.) -- but really, you can't go wrong with his stuff. After picking up some back issues (and a hardback) of *Apocolypse*, I prefer it -- as raw, stream-of-consciousness Lorayne is fascinating reading.

Then again, I highly recommend *the Osterlind Trilogy* for anyone who wants to really get intense about making magic.

*jeep!
--Grandpa Chet
Message: Posted by: Jim Stan Magic Man (Feb 23, 2008 12:58PM)
Tarbell is the way to go. Lots of good stuff to keep you busy for a long time.
Don't forget the Tarbell Companion book. This is a comb bound book, about 150 pages. This also includes a sleight index in the back which references the volume and page. It is edited by Steve Burton and put out in 1994.
Regards,
Jim
I only have the Mark Wilson book, and I whole-heartedly give it full recommendation. I would say to get both Wilson's and Tarbell, probably with Wilson's first as it gives pretty easy material.
If you are truly new to magic, then Mark Wilson's book is great because you are only dropping around $10. Order it, then save your money and get Tarbell when you can.

While Tarbell is better, it certainly costs more and takes more time to go through. Additionally, Wilson's book is somewhat easier to read as it was written much later than Tarbell.

Longview: The material in Wilson will keep you occupied for years. The material in Tarbell will keep you occupied for a lifetime.
Tarbell.

With just the purchase of Tarbell 1, you have most of what's in Mark Wilsons.
By the time you get to 3, you pretty much have it all and more.

But for me...
I like volume 4 and up.

And like what others have said...
You can always pick up Mark Wilsons at Half-Priced books for about $8 any time.

Randi
Message: Posted by: Andy the cardician (Mar 18, 2008 12:06AM)
Great advice by Randi . . . full support of it. With that material you should be going a long, long time before needing to spend more money on material. Remember, just buying it does not mean that you have already mastered it.
I have the Tarbell couses on Cd, I printed it out a lesson at a time to work through it with out being overwelmed, if you have an intrest in close up get Apocolypse books there is such a wealth of good meterial in them.

between the great essay's and tricks in theese seris you'll have meterial for years to work on.

Scott
I am more for books, and even though I started with Mark Wilson book, and got the Tarbell course(8 volumes) years later, I'll say get the Tarbell first!

Jean-Luc
If you are concerned with the cost of the 8-Volume Tarbell series, you can pick up the single volume "original" Tarbell course for around $65. It contains the original 60 lessons. You can always pick up volume 7 (written by Harry Lorayne) and volume 8 (a compilation of Tarbell's other writings) on E-Bay for about $20 each at a later date.

PM me if you want details on the single volume Tarbell...900+ pages, $65 free shipping to the US.
Both books are great. Get them both. But just to confuse the issue further Harry Lorayne wrote only one book for beginners in magic. And it is one of the best I have ever read. If you can get "The Magic Book". Although it is designed for beginners an advanced worker can learn from it. I know I did. I think it is actually one of Harry's best books.
Every time I flip through the Mark Wilson book I find something that I thought I never caught before and I want to do. It really is a wealth of great effects. It gets my creativity flowing and has a lot of reputation makers in there. You can't go wrong with it!
Weirdly I have a Complete Original Course in Magic by Tarbell on my Kindle.

Weird because when I went back to Amazon to check how complete it is I seem to have bought the last one !!!!

It cost 6 so keep an eye on Amazon ...there are some decent offers at times.

And yes before he mentions it, you can even get Harry Lorayne memory books on Kindle :)