(Close Window)
Topic: How To Make A Light Bulb Using Sugar Glass
Message: Posted by: Symmatrix (Mar 7, 2003 08:28PM)
I am experimenting with sugar glass and I have had some sucess but I am still trying to think of how to make it into a light blub shape.

Then I can perform the eating a lightbulb trick.

Thanks again

Best Regards
Message: Posted by: rkrahlmann (Mar 7, 2003 08:57PM)
Get a hold of some books on making theatrical props. However, if you've been having success so far, you might experiment with a mold made from a real light bulb.
Message: Posted by: camikesrd (Mar 7, 2003 11:54PM)
There is a book that may be in some large librarys. "Sugar Work - Blown and pulled Sugar Techniques" by Peter T. Boyle 1988. It is a book for Chefs . There are only four pages explaining useing molds. It tells how to make a sugar champaine glass. It also has recipes for melting and coloring the sugar.he molds are made of ceramoc or plastic. Buy two bubble packed lightbulbs, staple them together and you have a mold. :light:
Message: Posted by: Symmatrix (Mar 8, 2003 08:11AM)
After experimenting with the sugar glass, I found that it melts quite fast while holding in the hand. I presume that the heat that gives out from the hand makes the sugar glass melt quite fast.

Therefore, is there any other way that to make the sugar glass not melt or an alternative method?



I can quite agree with you. Thanks for the guidance and advice.


Message: Posted by: kaytracy (Apr 3, 2003 05:52PM)
While I am no expert in the sideshow arts, I have been -playing with sugar- for a little while. It can be blown, just like glass, and while you can make lovely items with it, you can get injured as it is SHARP, just like glass! Now I will not say there is not a way to eat it safely, we do it all the time, but I have cut myself on my creations when they break, and trust me ... the blood is real! (It also ruins the sugar art!) :light:
Message: Posted by: martini (Apr 13, 2003 11:35PM)
Greetings Symmatrix: you need to visit a store that supplies cake decorating and candy making supplies. They have a mold that is one half of a light bulb. You can buy two, trim away the edges so that both can be clipped together, and cut a pouring hole to pour the sugar mix into it. Let it run around the inside till hardened and then pop apart the mold. These molds are about $2 each. The only reason I know about this is that a local school just made up a dozen for a play that they are doing and one of my employee's children made up the sugar bulbs.
Hope that this helps.
All the Best
Message: Posted by: Symmatrix (Apr 14, 2003 04:11AM)
Thanks Marty,

This is the information which I have been looking for all the time...

Thanks pal
Symmatrix :firedevil:
Message: Posted by: MacGyver (Apr 14, 2003 04:21AM)
Just wondering, because I think I saw this in another forum, but would a lightbulb made out of sugar glass be usable with the "Exploding Lightbulb" effect?

Does sugar glass shatter like real glass?
Message: Posted by: procyonrising (Feb 14, 2004 01:03AM)
Re: Martini

I don't think filling in a lightbulb mold would work. However, let me offer some logic:

1. You can't get an even spread if you're filling a hole.

2. To get an even spread, you're going to have to fill the bulb with alot of sugar - making the thing look fake.

Here's what to do: Just get one half of a lightbulb mold. Make a little base of clay (or play-doh) and rest the bulb mold in it, making it level. GREASE THE MOLD, with butter or pam. Put your sugar solution in a bowl, then, using your fingers, "spritz" the sugar solution onto the mold (kinda like splattering paint with your fingers). Wait until it dries, then apply another 2-3 coats. Wait 24 hours for it to dry...

When you're done, carefully take your half-bulb out (which will come out because you've GREASED the mold). Put it aside and repeat the process.

Now you have 2 halves. Put them together and use a sugar solution to bind them together. Use a file to trim down the edge. BE CAREFUL and your end product should look very realistic.

This is the method that most sculptors use to make molds (with the exception that they make molds out of plaster...). This is the only method I can think of that makes sense. (If you don't believe me, try it the other way and re-read this when you fail).

Hope it helps...
Message: Posted by: Todd Robbins (Feb 14, 2004 01:20PM)
When the audience sees a ball floating in the air without a cloth covering it or anything else around it, the first thing they think is "there's a thread holding it up". They are right and there's not much in the way of mystery or magic in it.

I have eaten more than 4,000 REAL lightbulbs. In each performance I have to address the fact the EVERYONE thinks the lightbulb is made of sugar. I work very hard to prove them wrong.

Therefore it seems a little silly to me that you are going to a great deal of trouble to do something that will fool NO ONE.

This is just the opinion from someone that has been a professional glass eater for about twenty years.
Message: Posted by: actorscotty (Feb 15, 2004 04:04PM)
Just a bit of a cheer for Todd RobBins, a real prefessional. Of all the "working acts" glass eating is one I never tried. Hats off to one who does it ,especially on a regular basis.It is a little bit like "human pincushion', I did that for many years before I even heard about a way of faking it... old sideshows were as real as it gets
Message: Posted by: EddyRay (Mar 28, 2004 11:38AM)
Eat a real one, like me :)
Message: Posted by: DavidEscapes (Mar 28, 2004 02:09PM)
I agree. Faking a stunt like this damages it for performers and for the audience. Personally I feel that magicians should steer clear of sideshow skills and vice versa. Unless the magician/sideshow performer has a solid knowledge of what they are performing and perform it the way it is meant to be done.
Message: Posted by: web (May 26, 2005 02:36PM)
I read that you couldn't explode anything other than light bulbs with the Exploding Lightbulb. Does anyone think it would be possible to make a beer bottle made of sugar or breakaway glass explode with this effect?
Message: Posted by: Slim Price (May 27, 2005 04:44PM)
Look here!
Message: Posted by: Freak Prodigy (May 30, 2005 01:14AM)
Just eat real glass
Message: Posted by: Chance (May 30, 2005 05:29PM)
~A question for Todd --

After 4,000 real light bulbs, what condition are your teeth in? Have you needed any special work done on your molars, for example (or anything else for that matter?) And if not, how did you avoid that part?

Thanks in advance...

Message: Posted by: Todd Robbins (May 31, 2005 08:11PM)
It has taken a toll on my teeth. I once lost a filling working on a Saturday afternoon of a three day weekend. I couldn't get to dentist until Tuesday. I was working Coney Island at the time and ended up doing about twenty five shows with the filling out and the tooth exposed. Ain't show business grand?
Message: Posted by: Doug Higley (May 31, 2005 09:22PM)
Todd please take this question seriously...

When something happens like that and your tooth nerves are exposed and subject to intense pain and further damage...why didn't you substitute another bit (no pun) in the act? Is integrity toward what you do and the audience that strong or what?

I'd be running for the Puppets or something.
Message: Posted by: Chance (Jun 1, 2005 02:51AM)
It is indeed!

Maybe you didn't run for puppets as Doug said, but I bet you did most of your chewing on the other side that week! (And the week after that.....)
Message: Posted by: thegreatnippulini (Jun 1, 2005 09:44AM)
It all depends on the severity of the situation, Examples: Two years ago at the Sideshow Gathering, I swung a bowling pin from my ear the wrong way and it tore a bit of skin above my earring. A little bit of blood and pain, but little enough for me to go on with the show. At the Phila. Fringe Festival last year when some idiot felt like my instructions weren't important and assisted me in having a nipple torn out, well... the show's over. If (while performing) you realize the injury, but it's within the limits of continuing the show, the show definitley must go on. Just nobody pull any Harry Houdini macho b/s and end up in a hospital, okay?