(Close Window)
Topic: Matrix with nails
I have heard recently about a magician who perform a matrix routine with nails hammered in a wood board; does anybody knows who's this guy, and if the routine can be seen somewhere?
Thanks!
Gilles
Micheal Webber. I think its on one of international magic DVDs of his lecture.
Best kevin
Does anyone have a link to the performance of it? I'm very interested in this, never even heard of it and it's got the brain wheels turning.
Weber's routine i9s a killer. No clue. A French magician, who's name escapes me this morning (he was a confidant of Fred Kaps) used to do a matrix type routine with poker chips and finished NAILING one down to the table and it moved across to another spot. Was clever and very funny.
He may also be the one that floored us with laughter at an early 80's Desert Seminar with rocks over the head as well as a hands and cards off matrix. "Fillipe" many have been part of his name??

Harris
You should see his closer that he does with finishing nails :)
The Weber trick is legendary, and the work remains unpublished - though it is known by a few.

TW
Message: Posted by: Michael Rubinstein (Feb 20, 2008 10:12PM)
Pete, you might be thinking of Gaeton Bloom. I know he did a Matrix with buttons sewn onto a hankerchief. Despite being sewn to the cloth, they accumulated in one corner. It was a great trick.
Thanks everybody!
I'll make a search for GaŽtan Bloom as well!
Nice day all!
Mike,

I do remember a Gaetan Bloom routine that utilizes buttons. If my memory serves me right, I think it was a coins thru table plot. I'll check!
[quote]
On 2008-02-21 03:56, rannie wrote:
Mike,

I do remember a Gaetan Bloom routine that utilizes buttons. If my memory serves me right, I think it was a coins thru table plot. I'll check!
[/quote]

You memory serve you rigth ;)
GaŽtan did a buttons thru tabble. A very good trick, with a very ingenious method.
You can find it in a french video call "Fils indirects".
I don't konw if it is on other videos.
Pete the one your thinking of is Phillip Fiahlo. Very funny act! His pebbles act had me laughing so hard My sides ached from laughing so much. It was an act that you just had to see to really understand how funny he was. I only met him once and was very helpfull with some questions I had. He even helped me on a couple of card routines I was working on at that time. He and Bob Reed were the main attractions at the W.M.S. when Fred Kaps was unable to attened in 1980.

Randy
Does anyone know if there is video available of Webber's nail matrix.... or really any other of his performance or material?
Message: Posted by: Jonathan Townsend (Feb 21, 2008 03:55PM)
Michael Weber did a video a long time ago with some of his older works ... a Greater Magic Video Library item (*volume 22?)
Mfeld,
To my knowledge only one video, performance only:
http://www.internationalmagic.com/
11th competition dvd.
Hope this helps,
Gilles
If I remember well, Joe Givens also have a matrix with buttons where they are all sewn on the handkerchief for the final.

Richard
Matrix with nails can be seen here:

http://tinyurl.com/3yhv2h

I've seen him do it at least twice. He uses the wood with three nails as a table for other tricks and then lets the spectators keep the board with the nails it in at the end!

He has shared the "how" with no one. So anything else is speculation.

Sorry Thomas...
Thanks for the link....That was good....
Just maybe Thomas does know......
Message: Posted by: Jonathan Townsend (Feb 23, 2008 09:32AM)
As a better poet put it:

"Those who know
They don't let it show
They just give you one long glance
And you'll go oh, oh, oh, oh.

Goes to show
How winds blow
The weather's fine
And I feel so, so, so, so, so.

Birds of Prey
With too much to say
Oh what could be my destiny
Another rainy day.

Why ask why
For by the by and by,
All mysteries are just more
Needles in the camel's eye."

I hope Michael Weber does choose to openly publish his material - it would serve as a good example for this generation of what can be done.
Hmm this is interesting..
Michael Weber is a genius, and although this effect is very different, it's not that magical in my opinion. I guess I'm not seeing what others see in it. Let the flaming begin.
[quote]
On 2008-02-23 00:41, newguy wrote:
Matrix with nails can be seen here:

http://tinyurl.com/3yhv2h

I've seen him do it at least twice. He uses the wood with three nails as a table for other tricks and then lets the spectators keep the board with the nails it in at the end!

He has shared the "how" with no one. So anything else is speculation.

Sorry Thomas...
[/quote]

No need to be sorry, "newguy"... you are, however, mistaken about the not shared part. "Not shared" with [i]you[/i] is more like it.

But it is true that no one [who [i]knows[/i] how it's done] is going to reveal the method(s) publicly.

TW
On a related note. I recall seeing a pretty sexy barehanded assembly using thumb tacs......though I can't recall the source. Sounds like something Sean Fields would do.....
Hy Eric!
My belgian english doesn't go that far, may I ask you what you- and probably everybody else- call thumb "tacs"?
Thanks!
Be well!
Gilles
Gilles, you know, the thing you use to stick a card to the ceiling when wax, putty, and/or tape won't work.

aka Thumb "Tacks".
Thanks Curtis!
We just have another name for that here in Brussels...
Ok, now that the nail matrix is set up and working, does one of you knows if I can actually see somewhere the one with buttons sewn onto an hankerchief?? This is titillating as well, isn't'it
NewGuy,

Thanks for the link to the video. Again I am amazed by the simplicity of Michael's effects. I heard about this years ago and also wondered how clean it looked. Consider me fooled!

Kex
Kex,

You are welcome, I didn't set it up, just saw the link on a Japanese website I visit all the time. Lots of great performers on that same show, including Sawa!
This may be the one trick that still has me fooled and I absolutely love it.

Mr. Weber IS a definite genius.

Dartagnan
There is also a clip of the nail matrix, and more about Michael Weber in the Ricky Jay documentary Deceptive Practices. It's up on NetFlix. At least for now..

I enjoyed the documentary. Definately worth watching..

-Richie TwoTime
[quote]On Mar 11, 2015, Richie Larson wrote:
There is also a clip of the nail matrix, and more about Michael Weber in the Ricky Jay documentary Deceptive Practices. It's up on NetFlix. At least for now..

I enjoyed the documentary. Definately worth watching..

-Richie TwoTime [/quote]

No wonder this sounded so familiar, I saw it on the documentary.
Is this on youtube somewhere?
My friend up north had some of the old FISM tapes a while back. I believe Michael did it in '94 in Japan.
Https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRPOpirIMUo

The nails matrix starts at 37:06