(Close Window)
Topic: Ventriloquist DVDs
What Ventriloquists do you have performance DVD's (or videos) of? Which ones do you like, or dislike and why? I've been collecting performance videos since I started and am always looking for something I don't have.

Again, this is directed at performance video - but if you'd like to recommend instructional I'm sure the information will help someone.

Tom
http://www.ComedyVentriloquist.com
I have David Pendleton, David Strassman and Bill Demar :)

Im planning to get John Pizzi and Jeff Dunham DVD's :)

Very entertaining DVD's

as for intructional...I have

Bob Rumba, Bill DeMar's 2007 Convention Manipulation Lecture, Mark Wade, Bill Boley, Paul Winchell and Liz VonSeggen :)
Hi Tom,

OFF TOPIC:

I was just wondering and maybe you would know...is Tillie the Troll used by Ronn Lucas the same as Bill DeMar's? :)

Wanlu
No clue on that one Wanlu. Maybe you should e-mail Bill over at World Vents and get the info from him.
Back on topic (Wanlu) lol....

To quote Tom...

"What Ventriloquists do you have performance DVD's (or videos) of? Which ones do "you like, or dislike and why?"

Instructional DVDs can also me commented on and listed.
As I said, I collect them - so I'll share one to start:

I found David Morgan & Chucky earlier last month. David is not a ventriloquist and claims that - but his comedy and interaction with Chucky is priceless. The puppet's feet in his pants was worth the price of the DVD.

Again, not a ventriloquist - but his interaction and comedic timing is worth studying. You can find his DVD at: http://chuckytheduck.com/
(he's got video there too if you aren't interested in purchasing.)

Tom
Tom,

Thanks for the heads up on Chucky the Duck. Very funny! My vote goes for Spark of Insanity & Arguing with Myself by Jeff Dunham. Both very cheap on amazon....

Ken
Ken,
I agree that Jeff's DVDs are excellent. He is currently the most popular vent out there today and watching him work an audience is a real lesson.

Another DVD I recently purchased was Ian Varella's. I saw one offered on eBay and bid, but ended up going directly to Ian's site and getting it from him. He was extremely nice and shipped the DVD quickly. He is a pro who is worth watching.
Tom
http://www.ComedyVentriloquist.com
Hey Tom :)

Will you buy my DVD in the future? :)

I doubt if you will pick up anything from me but I'll guarantee a laugh or two :)

You will also learn two things...compassion and gratitude.

You'll feel sorry for me and you'll be grateful you're not me :) Strassman
Wanlu -
When you offer a DVD let me know! I've found I learn something from all of them.

Strassman has two DVD's - do you have both? I found Strassman Live to be excellent. The Chuck You tour was good, but repeated bits of material from the first. The thing I like about Strassman is his interaction with the characters. They are extremely well defined, their voices are distinct and each becomes a believable entity. Plus he's very funny! I'd love to catch his live show.
Dan Horn also has an excellent DVD called "Stand-Up Ventriloquist." I got mine on his web site, danhorn.com. He is one of the best manipulators out there.

I also highly recommend "Paul Zerdin Live" from England. Great technique and very funny characters.

Bill Boley DVD's (available from Tom Ladshaw--contact him at gottleogeer@aol.com) are classic.

Jim Barber has some DVD's available which include interesting clips from his early career.

Marc Rubben has 3 DVD's available ranging from squeaky clean to his midnight show.

You can find most of these by going to their websites or googling their names.

And don't forget there are lots of vent clips on YouTube.

Happy hunting!

Bob
Bob- I just went and looked at Dan HOrns web site and do not see videos for sale. What was the title and perhaps I can e-mail for information.

Thanks =)
Ken Groves has a DVD of several of his performances.
http://www.kengroves.com
Here's my partial collection

Marc Rubben – Live on the Las Vegas Strip
David Pendelton
Mark Merchant – Naked Full Length Mirror
Ken Groves
Al Stevens – Comedy Ventriloquist
Don Bryan – Life’s A Cruise
Michele La Fong – Live at the Flamingo
Russo Lewis – Wall to Wall Laughs
Dale Brown- Close To a Thrill
Paul Zerdin – Live
Jeff Dunham- Arguing With Myself
Jeff Dunham- Spark of Insanity
Darren Carr
Dan Horn – Stand Up Ventriloquism
Bob & Marty Hamill – Live on MS Maasdam
Taylor Mason – Here We Go
Ronn Lucas – Who’s In Charge

My favorite - Russo Lewis. I've watched that at least five (5) times and have laughed every time. The man is simply a MASTER ventriloquist.

Coming in second place is Darren Carr.

My .02¢
...and Russo Louis, if I'm not mistaken, is using just ONE figure--Brooklyn Birch-- in his whole, full-night shows!

What a great talent!
Neat collection Donald... :)

where can I buy a Russo Lewis DVD?

I might also get one from Darren Carr, he bought a couple of my vent masks, I hope he has those in his DVD :)
You can order Russo Louis' DVD here:

http://www.russocomedy.com/
What a great information packed thread.

Many thanks Guys!

Jonathan
Wanlu,
Darren performance DVD does include a routine with a mask and it does appear to be yours.
I'll second creativemac. My favorite two performance videos are both 'Russ Lewis'. One is his act on the Ed Sullivan show when he was around 20. It's great. His speed and timing were very impressive. The other is 'Wall to wall laughs'

Others I have are Dave Pendelton, Mark Thompson, Bill Boley, Bill DeMar, and Ronn Lucas - 'Who's in Charge'. That's my next favorite.
Thanks guys... Ill try to get Russ Lewis and Darren Carr DVD's :)
That's what I'm talking about! Thanks for the info guys!

I've got most, but not all of the DVD's mentioned.

Steve - Ken Groves is a good friend of mine, we first crossed paths in the early 90's. At that time he gave me a VHS - and of course, I had to get the DVD when it came out. (I like the VHS better - and told Ken so, the DVD cut up some of his routines that killed...) I highly recommend his for anyone!

I've got the Bananas videos of Taylor Mason - is "Here We Go" different? I'll have to look at them, I can't remember what these were titled.

Well - I'm off to e-mail Darren & Michele - those were two I don't have!
Emailed Russo Louis already :)

Will try Darren Carr next :)
Tom,
Taylor Mason - "Here We Go" is a VHS I purchased from Mason's website several years ago. I don't know if it's still posted there. I listed it as DVD, as I've transfered to DVD for my viewing ease.

VentHaven is a great place to get performance DVDs.
Donald -
Thanks for the heads up - I guess I'll bring extra cash to the convention! I'm attending VentHaven this year for the first time. Will you be there? If so, I look forward to meeting you.

I've been transferring old VHS to DVD too. I recently got Patrick Murray and Matilda's cruise ship video. The tape was used and pretty worn, so I transferred what I could. I've got to get hold of him at some point and see if I can get a better copy.

I'll take a look at Taylor's web site to see what is available. With all the DVD's I'm ordering lately I hope to have time to watch them all!
Tom
I found Taylor's "Fooling your Dummy" to be of interest.

There is even a shortMentVent routine (with th ebag over the figure's head) on this DVD.

Available from Axtell Expressions.

Jonathan
Tom,
I'm planing on attending VentHaven. Been going since 2002, missed last year. Look forward to meeting you also.

I have a Patrick & Matilda VHS I won off eBay some time ago. I haven't been able to find tapes/DVD for him for sale. If you hear from him, let me know. I don't recall right now the name of the one I have but I recently saw a different one (Jammin' with Patrick & Matalida) on eBay.
Donald -
Just e-mailed Patrick - hoping he responds, but he is out on cruise ships a lot. Soon as I hear anything I will let you know.
Terry Fator (winner of America's Got Talent)has a DVD as well!
http://www.terryfator.com
Steve -
Got it! Features clips from his first Vegas Show. I like Terry, saw him showcase at some fair conventions years before AGT. His live show is awesome, but I didn't care for the DVD. His talent shines but I prefer to see the whole show or at least sets, not cut segments. Just my personal opinion.

BTW - Understand he is coming to VentHaven - doubt he will remember me since we met very briefly, but I look forward to seeing him again.
Tom
I have a rare tape with all of Ricky Lane's performances from the Ed Sullivan(Mr.Solomon)show. Ricky was a good friend until his passing 1 1/2 years ago and I got the tape from him. I am hoping to have it copied to DVD format in the near future. Velvel's interaction with Ed Sullivan is classic.
Reviewing this thread, I noted that no one has mentioned Otto & George. Otto Peterson's DVD's are not for the faint of heart, the easily offended, or those interested in fine ventriloquial technique. But this discussion would not be complete without mentioning them.

Bob
Good point Bob. Thanks for correcting that.
If you need a VHS tape transfered to DVD, I can do it for you. I can create chapters on the DVD to be able to go to specific spots on the DVD as well.
Thanks for the offer. I have a trunk full of tapes that I need to drag out of storage for conversion. I'll let you know when I do.
Does anyone have "Belly Talkers", the vent documentary that was on TV? If so, please PM me.

Thanks,
Tom
Wanlu did you sell him performance rights?
Finally ordered and just finished watching both of John Pizzi's DVDs. Talk about pushing the limits! Funny stuff. Definitely not for the timid.
I downloaded John Pizzi's act from Google...the one with Andy :)

It was really funny! :) plus John is a great vent and easy to deal with. He got three masks from me :)

He also sent me a free Andy doll and some signed posters :)

I'll try to order his new DVD soon...
His jokes are funny and his figure manipulation is excellent, but, man, the lip technique gives Otto Peterson a run for his money.

BTW, on JP's website he has an old man character that sure looks like Wanlu's Don Dominator to me.

B
Bob -
Probably made by Dan Payes, my figure Maurice is by him. He does nice work at a reasonable price. The old man is used on John's newer DVD.

Just ordered a DVD from Sylvia Markson (Magic Trunk) that I found on her web site. I believe she developed the Adult Babies Axtell is selling.

Also just finished watching David Pendleton's Banana's DVD - same basic show as the "Live In Concert" DVD from his web site. Still, nice to watch him in front of a different audience to see how he relates to them.
I just bought an Axtell Cow from Sylvia and Chris :) They auctioned a few stuff in Ebay including a couple of Mats and 3 Axtells which sold so fast :)

BTW, JOhn Pizzi's old man figure is from Dan Payes :) Pretty close to my Don Dominador except for the eyebrows. I sold my Payes figure already to a fellow vent in Belgium. I will still continue the Don Dominador act using a Hartz figure which is now being made by Mr Hartz... hopefully will be ready in a few months :)

Re: Otto...that's his style. I think his weak lip control makes him more funny and his manipulation is terrible but his routine is so wacky. He made it to the Letterman show along with Willie Tyler, Jeff Dunham and Ronn Lucas and other great vents.

Axtell"s stuff gets snspped-up very quickly if the price is right. I can't wait to see your new Hartz figure. I had a chance to get two of them for less than $1000.00. I could kick myself now.
Two Hartz for $1000? Wow!!! Where and How? :) :) :)

I have been asking Mr Hartz to make one for me and it took me more than a year and tons of emails to finally have him say yes :)
I love Otto and George! Otto's act is that of a bad vent... poor lip control and manipulation. But he is hilarious! I always love to see their videos.
Wanlu, I had an aquaintance that really needed the money and offered both figures to me for $975.00. This was a few years ago and I kick myself every time I think about it.
Ony, I was given a tape of Otto and George a few years back(seriously) and it turned out to be X-rated. I was so disgusted that I threw it away after watching it only 18 times!
You are one lucky lucky lucky guy Duane...now would you be kind enough to share that luck and perhaps sell one of those Hartz to me...:)

By any chance one of those figures is an old man? :)

Wanlu
Wanlu,
you misunderstood Duane. Unforunately, he let the $1000 deal pass through his little finger. Hinsight is ALWAYS 20/20.

All of us have let deals pass us by and look back and cry!!!!

Donald
Oh!!! Thanks Donald :)
I have really enjoyed viewing the many YouTube video clips that show Jay Johnson performing (both past and present). I have also enjoyed spending time on Jay's official site to view even more wonderful video clips (of his Broadway show).

http://www.thetwoandonly.com/

I would really like to find a commercially sold DVD of Jay's show(s)--especially routines that include Squeaky and/or Bob.

Please post any relevant links or information in this regard.

Same goes for Darren Carr.

I have enjoyed his video clips on YouTube, but the only DVD that is mentioned on his site is a "free" promo DVD. I expect that Darren prefers to send this promo DVD to "real" prospects, not admiring vents (but I could be wrong).

I would also like to know if the documentary "Bellytalkers" can be purchsed somewhere.

Many questions, many knowledgeable vents out there.

Please advise.

Many thanks in advance.

Jonathan
I have yet to find a copy of Bellytalkers - although I have received a couple of leads.

Darren Carr has responded by e-mail about my request to purchase, but I haven't heard from him in a while, so I'm not certain if he is on the road. Still hoping to purchase a copy.

I have tickets to see Jay Johnson in Pittsburgh (5 hours from me - but the closest he was coming.) I'm not certain if he has a sales table, but if he offers a DVD I can guarantee I'm getting one!
I really like Jay's demeanor on stage and that of his hard figures. His soft figures are a pure riot too. But when I saw his clip (on his Broadway Show site) of him and Squeaky getting all teary-eyed, and sad over Squeaky not being able to attain his dream and join Jay on Stage, well --I was dummystruck... I mean dumb struck! What skill!!!

So often the vent figure is simply a wise-ass kid who gets on the vent's nerves. So when I saw the depth and care in their relationship, I was truly admiring and touched.

Jonathan
Tom:

I saw the show on Broadway, and I can assure you that it's worth the drive. And Jonathan is right, there is a very tender moment with Squeaky which leads to a big surprise--won't tell you what it is. Unless things have changed, there was no DVD for sale, just T-shirts and the like.

See my review of the show here: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=181762&forum=182

Bob
Bob,
I remember reading your review, which took me to his website, which informed me of his Pittsburgh show. So thanks!!!

I'm really looking forward to it. Ken Groves is planning on meeting me there, he knows Jay so hopefully I'll get a chance to meet him.
Thanks for the link to your review Bob. Much appreciated.

Sound's like you are in for the thrill of a lifgetime Tom (re: seeing Jay's show, meeting up with Ken, and possibly meeting Jay after the show, in person).

If Jay Johnson doesn't sell any DVDs following his shows, does anyone know if (and where) a DVD of Jay's work can be found? If not, I suppose the many great clips on YouTube will have to suffice for the time being --untill he (hopefully) puts one out.

Jonathan
I also have a DVD :)

But it's not about Ventriloquism...it's my Kiddie Birthday Party Hosting Lecture...unfortunatley it's mostly in my native language Filipino :)

Ony Carcamo is in the video with his figure Mr Parley. My figures Don Dom and Nicolo are also in the video as well as Gonzo, Cooku, Baby Bryan and Super Duck :)

Check it out at the link below :)

http://wanlu.net/workshop.html

Thanks

Wanlu
Just heard from Darren Carr and have ordered his DVD! It was Donald's post that directed me to his - so thank's Donald! I had e-mailed Michele La Fong but haven't heard back from her. Guess I will try again.

BTW - Ken Groves updated his book "Breaking Down The Brick Walls of Show Biz" and has included a CD of interviews he did with Steve Roye (Killer Comedy). It is available through Lee Cornell at Ventriloquism 101. If you are interested in learning more about the business of getting shows, Ken's advice is worth more than what Lee is charging for the info.
Just got a reply from Michele LaFong - her DVD has been ordered!
Tom,
I'm glad I could point you in the right direction. You'll enjoy the DVD.

Donald
My DVD is only $15 :)

You probably wont understand anything but it will add to your collection :)

[quote]
On 2008-03-31 15:26, Wanlu wrote:

You probably wont understand anything but it will add to your collection :)

[/quote]

What - no subtitles? I LOVE subtitles. :)

Just ordered Wanlu's DVD.
Yup No Subtitles :( So sorry Tom :)

You're my first International buyer...you honor me and my family with your kind gesture Tom :)

Thanks much!!!

Wanlu

Oh by the way...please check me out at the Axtell E-News :)

http://www.axtell.com/axnews/wanlu.html
Congrats Wanlu on the great article in Axtell E-News!

Keep up your wonder-filled work!!

Jonathan
Thanks Jonathan :)
[quote]
On 2008-03-31 22:24, Wanlu wrote:

[/quote]

Wanlu is one of the best Filipino party hosts and a very promising ventriloquist in our country... and I'm proud to be his vent ally. Congrats!
Congrats Wanlu! Great story on Axtell's site. BTW - will you sign the DVD case - now that you are famous I can get more for it on ebay! :)

Just kidding...:)
Thanks Ony... :) Thanks for all the help... :)

and thanks Tom :) Sure, Ill sign the DVD...what do you want me to put? Otto and George of Terry Fator? LOL :)

Steve Axtell must be losing his mind to include me in his E-News :) or at least losing his aesthetic sense :)

Thanks Ax!!! :)
Just finished watching Patrick Murray's new DVD which arrived last week. I had purchased an old VHS off eBay of him in Juneau Alaska. While much of the set remained the same, it was great seeing how he has tweaked and changed his material/delivery over the years since the tape was made. He included some new comedy based on the current ports of call - and introduced his wife & ant (not a mis-spelling) during the show. His dual voice at the end earned him a standing ovation.

Another DVD I watched this week was Alex Houston & Elmer. It was great seeing him work - truly a classic act.
Tom,
where did you order Patrick Murray's DVD from?

Did your DVD from Sylvia Markson (Magic Trunk) arrive yet?

Thanks

Donald
Donald,
Got the DVD by e-mailing Patrick off his site -

Sylvia's arrived in the mail today. I haven't had a chance to look at it yet, maybe later this week.
[quote]
On 2008-04-01 04:43, Ony Carcamo wrote:
[quote]
On 2008-03-31 22:24, Wanlu wrote:

[/quote]

Wanlu is one of the best Filipino party hosts and a very promising ventriloquist in our country... and I'm proud to be his vent ally. Congrats!
[/quote]

BTW, Ony Carcamo and his figure Mr Parley are in my DVD too :)
Just finished watching Sylvia's DVD -

She has incredible lip control. Her facial expressions/reactions to the antics of her puppets were excellent. Plus, she has an excellent singing voice which she used with her bird puppet Franchesca.

That said, I didn't think the performance itself was probably one of her best. It sounded, and felt (to me) like she was having trouble making a connection with the audience. That is in no way a knock - it seems whenever I get a pro video crew to tape, I get a quiet audience or something goes wrong. It might have even been that the audience wasn't mic'd properly. Some shows just aren't as strong on video as they are live.

The human puppet volunteers seemed to throw her off a bit. Their actions/comments made her fumble for lines. During the routine she also had some close staging conditions. She had to squeeze around a volunteer based on their position and that of her trunk. Looked awkward.

As a performance DVD, it is a family show that held the attention of the kids. She is a very talented lady. As a learning tool, I realize I need to work on lip control, interactive expressions and that a physical walk through of performance space a good idea. I'd certainly recommend it for anyone's collection.
Watched Michele La Fong's "Live" at the Flamingo last night. Wow - she is great. The DVD contained her promo and several television clips. Michele was quick to ship the DVD too. Highly recommend this one. Loved the clips of Senor Wences too!

Donald - thanks for pointing that one out to me! Now who else has DVD's. I'm addicted!
Hi Tom,
I've having trouble connecting with Patrick Murray's site.
How much was his DVD?

Thanks

Donald
Donald -
I PM'd you the information!
Tom
Just a quick note to thank Tom, Steve and others on this thread that pointed me in the direction of Ken Groves.

I just received Ken's DVD this evening (which can be ordered directly formKen's site: kengroves.com ) and have already popped it into my player and started enjoying it (immensely).

What a personable performer Ken is, and his CW vent figure persona is just fantastic (and hilarious too) --as are his other characters. Very original mannerisms, unique voice tones and wonderful routines.

What a seasoned pro Ken is.

His lip control and facial expressions (while CW talks away) are, frankly, truly amazing.

I am very grateful that my fellow vents have led me to this talent.

Thanks to Tom Crowl's positng and further encouragement, I can’t wait to receive Ken Grove's newly released "Breaking down the Brick Walls" course directly available from Lee Cornell (www.ventriloquism101.com and found under the "Products", then "Books" section of Lee's site). Lee Cornell is a great guy to order from: efficient, knowledgeable and very customer service oriented.

A BIG thanks to all who have contributed to this entire thread. Because of the many high quality resources mentioned on this posting, I can honestly say that I am both "poorer" and "richer" at the same time. ;)

With best regards, :applause:

Jonathan
Jonathan,
Can you give me an idea of Lee Cornell's show DVD contents. Is it all vent, or does he also do magic in the show. (That was the impression I got...) If it is a combination, what percentage would you guess is ventriloquism?
Thanks,
Tom
Lee's Show DVD is about 25 minutes long in total. 10 minutes of this DVD shows Lee performing his magic routines, with the balance showing his vent routine.
Finally ordered Jeff Dunham's two DVDs and Stassman: Chuck on Tour DVD.
Strassman has two: Strassman Live and the Chuck You Tour. The name of the second one is not as polite as you suggest. :)

Bob
Neither are some of the jokes... :)

Tom
Just had a PM conversation with Jonathan regarding Dale Brown's DVD "Close To A Thrill". Jonathan mentioned he liked one of Dale's magic presentations. I didn't remember Dale doing magic on the DVD and thought perhaps he had another version available.

Since this post was originally to find out what we liked or dis-liked, or even learned from DVD's, as well as discover new ones, I thought I'd share my side of that conversation.

Dale's DVD is worth having in your collection. He has a very low key approach that sets a nice contrast to his characters. The only thing I found disturbing was the cameraman going between Dale and his audience, and visible in a number of shots. I'm guessing there was no way to edit that out, which is a shame.

Dale is a true pro and a joy to watch, you can see some of his videos on Youtube, but it is worth contacting him to get the whole show.
Ditto. Dale's DVD is worth getting (and watching).

Thaks for the great postings (and info) Tom.

Jonathan
Wanted to take a moment to thank Steve from Petra Puppets. On the World Vent forum he recommended Pat Fraley's Cartoon Voices CDs. I ordered them along with the Greatest Cartoon Voices CD and love the material.

Appreciate you pointing me in that direction Steve.
I have to second Ken Groves being a great performer and - he is a really nice guy. We met at venthaven last year and when he was in town, my wife and I got together with him for dinner.

I loved his DVD! I was blown away by CW's routine with all theB's. I don't think the audience really understood how amazing that was.
Hello folks.

Lee Cornell here. Some folks have been mentioning Ken Groves quite a bit and there was some mention of his "Breaking Down the Brick Walls of Show Biz" course.

I've know Ken for a number of years and see him every year at the ventriloquist convention.

His original "Breaking Down" book was released, I think, in 2001, and was a great resource.

I asked Ken a couple of years ago if I could offer it on my site. He told me it was out of print. Well, a month or so ago, I get a package from Ken. To my surprise, the box contained a new, updated version of his book with twice as many pages, and a CD with 6 hours of interviews with Ken on it.

So, we came up with a plan to offer this new course to the folks in the entertainment business (it's NOT just for ventriloquists). As was mentioned, the course is available on my website.

Ken's one talented and funny guy.

Hope to see some of you at the Vent Haven convention in July.

Regards,

Lee
http://www.ventriloquism101.com
Lee is a great person to do business with.

Very attentive, very efficient and packs his materials really well for shipping. Being a seasoned professional himself, Lee is highly knowledgeable in the fields of both Magic and Ventriloquism --the plus is that he is exceptionally generous in providing sage advise to aspiring and even experienced vents. In addition to ordering most of Bill Demar's excellent DVDs from Lee, I recently ordered the newly released Ken Groves material, "Breaking Down the Brick Walls of Show Biz", and I can't wait to receive and begin learning from its informative and motivational-filled content.

Fellow member Tom Crowl already has this material and rates it very highly... isn't that right Tom?

Jonathan

PS: I have no vested interest in recommending Lee Cornell and his http://www.ventriloquism101.com website. I'm simply one very satisfied repeat customer.
Nice avatar Lee :)

Hartz and Pavlov right?

Welcome to the Magic Café :)
Wanlu,

You are correct. I bought the Hartz figure from Todd Oliver (you may have seen him on Vent Week on Letterman). I went to Branson to see his show a year or so ago and he invited me to his home to see his vent collection.

The walls of his entire home are covered with literally hundreds of custom framed 8 x 10 photos of vents from the past and today.

He showed me a beautiful Hartz dummy that he purchased from Conrad as a back-up for his main character, Joey.

The puppet wasn't quite the same as Joey and Todd never felt comfortable using the Joey voice with him. So, he was stored in his case, brand new for over 5 years.

I offered to purchsae the figure from Todd and he gave me a really good deal. Gotta love it. A brand new Hartz figure with no wait.

And the other character is indeed a Pavlov puppet. It's their Einstein puppet. Pavlov's are relatively new to selling in the US, but the quality of their soft puppets is second to none.

You can see more exapmles of their puppets at http://www.pavlovspuppets.com

Regards,

Lee
By the way, Jonathan, thanks very much for the very nice comments about my business and products.

Lee
Pleasure to do so Lee. Welcome back to the Café.

Jonathan
I'll second Jonathan's praise for Lee's products and service. Been happy with everything I've purchased from his site and he promptly ships orders. Thanks Lee.

Ken Grove's course is excellent if you are interested in show business. Unlike most "courses" on the subject - Ken is a working pro and he speaks honestly about what it takes to succeed.
Thanks Lee :)

I do know Todd...he's very talented...and his act is really funny :) He deserves to be at The Letterman Show.

I also purchased a few stuff from Lee and they were shipped promptly and the communication is oustanding...and Lee was so patient even to clients like me who have so many questions :)

Thanks again Lee :)
Darren Carr is great!

I had contacted him and ordered his DVD. He ran out of copies - so he refunded my order and sent me an older DVD of his show. Funny act, engaging presentation, a true pro, and a really nice guy. I've already told him to contact me when he does the next one!

Donald - that's another one you pointed me toward - thanks!
Thanks for the endorsement of Darren Carr, Tom.

Do you think that his current DVD will be back in stock anytime soon?

Did Darren let you know if there is a great deal of new material/routines covered on this newer DVD? In his newer DVD, according to his site, it "seems" that he incorporates a "look-alike" vent figure that bears an excellent similarity to the real Darren Carr. Does he use this same figure in his older DVD?

Just curious.

In any case, it seems like the "old" DVD of his show is certainly a valuable find.

Onanother note, I finally received my Jeff Dinham DVD set (Spark of Insanity and Arguing with Myself) and , boy, is Jeff amazing. I had seen shorter clips and routines of Jeff in the past (ie. on Letterman ?), but these longer sets along with his stand-up are wonderful. What a likeable persona Jeff is on stage (I am guessing he is very similar in real life) and how superb his own facial expressions are, especially in contrast to Walter's sour lemon/pill face.

Jonathan
Tom,
glad I could point you in the right direction. As I said in my previous post Russo Lewis and Darren Carr are my favorite to watch over and over.

I got to meet Darren several years ago when he was at Vent Haven. A very likeable guy and what talent. You can see why he's the favorite in Australia.

If you get a chance, can you post a list of vent DVD's you have so IO can see what I need to add to my collection.

Hope to see you at VentHaven!!!

Donald
Hey guys...I think I missed a post...where can I get a Darren Carr DVD? :)
This will be a long one -
Jonathan,
Yes Darren used the look alike figure. He said much of the material was the same, but the stuff he sent me wasn't a professional shoot. It still looked better than most of the footage of my act. He didn't say when he'd be doing another or getting more. I hope to stay in touch with him.

Wanlu - you didn't miss anything. I contacted Darren off his site and asked about a DVD. Responses were delayed due to his schedule, but he was great to correspond with. Just contact him direct and ask him.

Donald -
I agree on Russo, he's fun to watch. Below are some of the DVD's I've got, not sure if they are all together right now - but this is the bulk of them in no particular order:

Wanlu's Birthday Party Hosting Workshop (not yet viewed...)
Don Bryan - Life's A Cruise
John Pizzi - (both DVD's he offers)
Ryan & Friends (Ryan Bomgardner)
Ken Groves
Ken Groves (VHS - some different material from the DVD)
Mark Merchant - Naked in a Full Length Mirror
Chucky & David Morgan (not a vent - but very funny stand up puppet routines)
Ian Varella
Taylor Mason - Bananas 2
Todd Oliver - The Funny Dogs
Dan Horn - Stand Up Ventriloquist
Patrick & Matilda - Juneau trip & Current DVD
Susan Gift Porter (VHS - singer/vent)
David Pendleton - Bananas Show
David Pendleton - Live In Concert
Dale Brown - Close To A Thrill
Michael Harrison - Who Said That? - (Instruction & Clips of Act)
Michele La Fong - Live at the Flamingo
Johnny Main - Old TV Appearance
1981 Ventriloquist Convention Saturday Night All Star Show
(features early Jeff Dunham, Johnny Main, Mark Wade, Garland Boyd, Warren Chaney, Bill Boley and Bill DeMar)
Jim Barber & Seville - (two dvds - available through the Hamner Barber Web site)
Bill DeMar - Saturday Night Show Performance
Ronn Lucas - Who's In Charge Here
Russo Louis - Wall To Wall Laughs
Col. Bill Boley - The Night Club Act
Bob & Marty Hamill - Potato Salad & Other Side Dishes
Strassman Live - Vols. 1 & 2 (the Chuck You Tour)
Al Stevens - both DVDs
Marc Rubben - Live on the Las Vegas Strip, The Midnight Show, Dummy Talk!
Paul Zerdin Live
Darren Carr Live
Terry Fator - Las Vegas
Jeff Dunham - Arguing & Insanity
Sylvia Markson
Alex Houston & Elmer
Mark Wade - The Art of the Kid Show (includes performance clips)
Mark Wade - Advanced Ventriloquism (includes performance clips)
along with a couple of assorted instructional DVDs & VHS tapes - my favorite of which is Paul Winchell.

May have missed a couple - I've got them scattered around... who am I missing?
WOW...what a great collection. :)

You missed Otto and George? :)
You are right, I don't have Otto & George. Not sure I'm getting his yet due to the language. Probably will to round out the collection - but may wait until my son is a bit older. I'd hate for him to hear Otto's comedy right now.
I thought so... :)
You also missed Jay Johnson ...or maybe he does not have a DVD?
Jay doesn't have a DVD
Realized looking at the list that I didn't have Pete Michaels - so I ordered two of his show DVD's today.

There are some clips of Jay at Bob Albano's Tribute To Ventriloquism site -
http://costerjoe.com/video/
I have high respect for Pete, but don't you think his Kremlin thing resembles the moves of Peanut a bit... :)
Tom,
can we all come to your house and have a good DVD and popcorn night.

Donald
Any time you are in Maryland!

I know that Jimmy Nelson does Vent Videos at the convention - but does anyone else show DVD's? If not, maybe those of us that attend could set up an informal gathering late one evening.
To make it easy for me to have access to my collection of ventriloquist DVD's and other assorted clips when I'm traveling, I have converted most of them to MP4 and loaded them on a Video iPod. I'm up to over 600 clips.
WOW! That is a lot of clips! How do you convert DVD's to MP4s? Is there a special program for that? Right now, I have to decide what I want to take with me when I travel. It'd be great to have everything on the ipod!
Tom,
there are several software programs that will rip (convert) a DVD to a format (AVI, MPG) that is then converted to MP4 for iPod use. I'll give you a glimpse when I see you at VentHaven.

Donald
Hey, Darren Carr got one of my masks last year...and I think he made a bid on my mask today :)

Check it out

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MESEX:IT&item=330231990250&_trksid=p3984.cSELL.m315.lVI
Wanlu's masks are great! I use two of them now. Love them!
Thanks Tom :)
Hi Tom...this is similar to the DVD you were telling us about...the one with the duck...

Jimmy Weldon I think did the voice of Donald :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxRU6_7AclY&feature=related
Jimmy Weldon actually did the voice of Yakky Doodle, a Hanna Barbara cartoon - but yes, this is the guy. I found him on Youtube, did a Google search for his website and saw his DVD. The DVD does contain Webster Webfoot (shown on the Youtube video) but it is not a full vent DVD - still, the segment with Webster is a great look at a classic performer.

And he's a really nice guy too!
Terry Fator is shooting a new performance DVD this week. We just built a new "Winston the Turtle" for it, and in fact he's using it today in a major press interview where he will announce his new vegas show at the Mirage. Watch our site for photos at http://www.axtell.com/new.html

I'm not sure of the release date for the DVD but he starts shooting Thursday.

Ax
Tom,

I think that you have to respect the rights of the figure maker in this case. Just my two cents worth.

I am working on some new bits with some of my characters and I am sure that I will have to make sure before I sell or make any DVD's what is involved.

Cheers, Larry
Don't scratch your head. Larry's post just abvove is in the wrong thread. :)
April 23rd I posted about ordering Pete Michaels' DVDs - sent the check that day. On May 5 - Pete cashed the check. Still waiting on the DVDs. He responded to one e-mail but never mentioned when they would be sent - and has not answered the follow up.

I recommend if you are thinking about getting his - you order a year in advance.
This turn around is crazy.
I won a Selberg Rupert last week in Ebay and it turned out that the seller is Darren Carr :)

He sent a DVD for free along with the figure :)

Thanks Darren :)
Congratulations Wanlu!

Which Selbert figure did you purchase?

How did you like the Carr DVD (I am guessing it is somewhat different that the one Tom received --perhaps not).

Jonathan
I got a Selberg Rupert,it will be here hopefully soon :)

I rememebr the Carr DVD got good reviews from Tom right?
[quote]
On 2008-04-21 17:19, tacrowl wrote:
Darren Carr is great!

I had contacted him and ordered his DVD. He ran out of copies - so he refunded my order and sent me an older DVD of his show. Funny act, engaging presentation, a true pro, and a really nice guy. I've already told him to contact me when he does the next one!

[/quote]
Darren is excellent. We've been in touch a couple of times since I ordered the DVD. He had a bit I really liked and I created some material that took it in a different direction, but it hinged on his starting concept. I sent him the script, asked for permission and he said I could use it.

You'll like his DVD Wanlu!
Thanks Jonathan :)

Thanks Tom :) and I appreciate your comment at WorldVents :)
The Pete Michaels DVD's arrived yesterday - about an eight week turn around. Haven't had a chance to watch them yet.
I got the Selberg and the DVD...I enjoyed watching Darren's act.

Who made his figure? a Darren look alike :)

The Selberg Rupert is unused...very nice figure. I practiced using a dumb voice and I think it's a good choice of voice. Rupert reminds me of Bubba J. :)
Watched Pete Michaels - and - he sent the wrong DVD - I ordered his show and he sent the Ventriloquism Instructional. Based on the 8 week turn around and his attitude when I contacted him about it after the promised six weeks - I'm not bothering to try and exchange. I recommend if you want his DVD's, that you try to do it at a live show or perhaps VentHaven. He apparently has so much going on, his web site orders take a back seat.
Wanlu,
Darren made the look a like figure himself. Be on the look out for several more that he says he will be making.

Tom, I had a several experience when I ordered a DVD from Pete Michaels. Should be, if you have time to cash/deposit the check, you should be able to mail the products in a timely manner.
While I never ordered anything from Pete Michaels web site, I have purchased several of his DVDs from him directly at VentHaven. I’m sorry to hear that you had such a bad experience with your web purchase; I found Pete to be a wonderful down to earth guy and a great conversationalist. I also enjoy his DVDs and have watched them more then many of the others I own. (Outside of meeting and talking with Pete at VentHaven, I have no connection with him or his business.)
Hey...Darren is a good figure maker if he made that figure himself ;)
Undone -
I'm not knocking Pete as a person or an act - I just think if people want to get his DVD's they should probably do it in person like you did! His web order service is very slow.
Ordered Vince Daytona's two DVD's. Very fast shipping. Started watching his family show, haven't had time to see it all. I'm not overly fond of his figure manipulation, but he definitely has a stage presence and engages the audience. Looking forward to watching his "Adult Show".
Nice new avatar with Rupert , Walu.

You both look like pros!!

Jonathan
Thanks Joathan :)

I really like the Rupert...the only problem would be the eyes/hair color which is not exactly familiar to our culture :)

For that reason, I might sell the Rupert in the future unless of course I get away with the routine I made which makes him half American and half Filipino :)
Too bad, Wanlu. Can you not dye Rupert's hair and have him fitted with contact lenses of another color?
Stayed up late and watched Vince's Adult Show DVD. He's one of the classic night club vents, funny with just a bit of language. Definitely worth watching this one. I thought it much more enjoyable than his family show, but that's just my opinion.
I have a VHS tape that I don't believe anyone else mentioned they had? It is "Patty Davidson and Friends" and was shot at a theathre in Branson in 1988. She does "Who's on First" and some musical bits among other things on this tape.
Thanks Doug -
I've been to her web site, but never noticed a DVD or tape for sale. I'll check again and try to e-mail her.
Tom:

I got this off E-bay a couple of years ago. I don't believe they are available any longer but as you said, contacting her might yield something?

Doug
Thanks Jonathan...I think that's a good idea. :)

I'll try it...

The hair is really not much of a problem, it's the eyes... but the contact lenses might just work.
...or sunglasses (but then you would lose the moving eye effect!). :crazydude:
"Patty Davidson and Friends" I got my copy via eBay.

She does have a DVD which is NOT posted on her site. Contact her for information.

To me (my opinion) her Who's On First is the best after Abbot & Costello.
I have e-mailed Patty. Had to go back through my stack of DVD's because I keep thinking I saw this material, and wondered if I hadn't already purchased one. Must have been on Youtube - I know she has some video there.
Just to clarify... "Patty Davidson and Friends" includes a vent routine that includes a variation of Abbott and Costello's Classic and hilarious Who's on First routine... is that right?

If so, please let us know if this is available on DVD and where/how to order one directly from Patty.

Many thanks.

Jonathan
Jonathan:

Yes, the "Patty Davidson and Friends" video does include the Abbott and Costello routine, "Who's on First." It also has, among other things, an excellent version of, "I've Been Everywhere Man."

Probably the best thing to do is e-mail Patty to see if she has these available. I got my VHS tape of this off E-bay a couple of years ago.

Doug
Thanks Doug!

I have sent her an email and await her reply.

Jonathan
When I go to Venthaven I will definitely be adding to my collection. I have enough puppets (if that's possible) so that's where most of my spending will be.

The hard part with all those videos is to only use it as a springboard to my own ideas.

There is too much material stealing in ventriloquism.
It seems as if lots of DVDs are missing in my 100 pieces database. If anyone is interested I can put the MsAccess database on a special url for consultation. And I would be happy if some members would tell me how to buy those which are missing...
I can also (as I did for Tacrowl) transfer it as a html file, but without the photographs.
Thanks for answering this message...

Frego (from Belgium)
:P
Frego,
send me the url.

Donald Woodford
OK, Donald, I will send you the url in a couple of days. Still some DVDs to add to the database and translate some texts (all written in French).
Jus pay attention to the DVDs I compiled or publised myself : they are in no way to be sold... Except those I filmed and produced, of course. :D

Frego
:wavey: My DVD Database shows a private collection. Some DVDs have been made from genuine NTSC videos I converted. The rights are not mine, so these DVDs are not to be sold. Some other ones are compilations from videos I gathered and for which I do not know who the rights owner is. The Database tells when the stuff is copied or transferred or converted.
Shows and learning “movies” of vents who are still on stage (or still were recently) are genuine DVDs I bought. And finally, especially for the French Speaking Vent Convention in Paris, I made the DVD from A to Z (that’s what we say in French…)
I try to get ALL the vents DVDs in the world. But the Web does not always tell how to get them. I thank all members who will give me indication for buying what is NOT in my Database, and, of course, not on my shelves…

PLEASE NOTE : you MUST have MsAccess on your computer to open the Database. Download the Database. If you cannot open it at first time, right click on its name, then left click on “Propertes” and left click on “unlock” (I do not know what the exact English word is; in French it says “Débloquer”, the last item down on the right). And then enjoy…

I’m sorry my English is not better, but I lack practice…

And now, here is what you are waiting for : http://www.servicedulivre.be/cache/english-lesventriloques.mdb
The database will be removed on August 13. I will be out of home from 13 to 25…
For those who cannot open the database (not having MSAccess on their computer), I posted a HTML short copy on the site.
You can see it at http://www.servicedulivre.be/cache/ventsDVDFrego.html.

Still waiting to get the way to buy DVDs I do not possess now...

Thanks, Folks!

Frego
Frego,
Just got back in - will look at your list and be in touch!
Tom
Hi everybody
I am away till August 24. I have removed the databases from their locations on my professional site...
You can see the whole basis (about 10 titles are still to come) on my site, http://users.skynet.be/jlgeoffroy.

Talk to you later...

Frego
That is some list. I saw a few I need to get!
An update - I did receive Patty's DVD - she was very nice to correspond with and shipped the DVD very fast.

I also just got Dale Anderson's new DVD. I had seen a small note about Dale taping his show on Newsy Vents, so I tracked him down and e-mailed. He kept my name on file and contacted me a few weeks ago to say they were finally ready.

Unfortunately I have no spare time to sit and watch right now - so I can't give you any thoughts on either.
Hello Tom,

I could not post a reply on bellytalkers. Out of use since a few days. Imposible to log in.
Yes, you already told me Pete was not quick on the ball. But I sent mails a year ago.
When I do not meet any goodwill, I do not hesitate (after having been waiting more than one year) to get copies, whatever the loss for the artist who is, at the least, contemptuous. Scornful people get me upset.
I got the same (un)reaction from Lucas and the lady who sells his DVD (only money). Unless you choose another really expensive way to pay (more than twice the price of the stuff). I got an illegal copy and ****!

A Vent on bellytalkers told me he met 99,9% super guys among vents. I'm sorry to say I can't count more than 60%. And I am really sad about it.

Be happy!

Frego
Frego - PM'd you
Finally had a chance to watch some (not all - but most) of Dale Anderson's DVD. It seems to be a single camera shoot, static shot. I had some trouble with the sound and voices. My hearing isn't the best, but I had trouble understanding some of the lines Dale's figures were saying.

Not certain if that was a recording issue or me - but dispite that, Dale's crowd seemed very appreciative and I'm glad to have added his DVD to my collection! Next up - finding the time to watch Patty!
Just found and ordered Willie Brown's DVD. The link to his web site is below:

http://www.williebrownandwoody.com
Not sure if any of you are familiar with Peter Hefty, but I came across his site and he offers a DVD. I purchased it to add to my "must watch soon" pile!

http://peterheftyandjustin.com/
Tom,

You must have quite the collection!
Tom:

Thanks for sharing your finds with us. I ordered these, too. I think Willy and Peter owe you commissions.

Bob
Just found out that Ryan & Friends have two new DVD's coming out. You can order them on his web site. If you don't know the address - just Google "Ryan and Friends".
Hi Tom,

I'll tape my DVD hopefully by next year...will you trade your DVD with mine please?

I just want to make sure when I make my DVD, I already have my Axtell Hands Free :) then I'll start the project...

Thanks

Wanlu
Well, my DVD is finally ready. I've priced it like most I've purchased - $20 plus $5 shipping. If anyone is interested it is available on my site - the link is in the signature below. Just go to the on-line store. Because of the holidays, shipping will begin Tuesday, Dec. 30th by Priority Mail.
Thanks for any interest.
Tom
I'll take one of the DVD's, a poster and a T-shirt please.

Don't forget to sign them please.

Wanlu
Wanlu -
You can order them off my comedy ventriloquist web site using PayPal.

For everyone who ordered, Thank you! Your DVDs shipped today ahead of schedule. Due to family visiting during the holidays, the next shipments won't be made until Dec. 30th.
Tom
Tom:

Ordered the DVD and am looking forward to seeing it. But I was REALLY impressed by what I saw on the Crafty Owl website. You're a multi-talented guy! Therefore, I hate you. :)

Bob
:)

Thanks for the kind words about Crafty Owl. Got your order and will ship a.s.a.p.

Tom
Where am I missing the Craft Owl.
Donald,
You aren't - the DVD is available in the store section of comedyventriloquist.com

The order is processed through my PayPal account, which was originally opened for my wood carving site: http://www.crafty-owl.com

For a while, I had planned to give up shows entirely and the carving was to be my retirement. When I got into vent, that all changed and now I have no time to carve.
Tom
It would be nice to be that busy!
Carving takes a lot of time Neale! Its hard to carry chisels and wood on a plane... :)

Apologies for taking the topic in another direction. Back to DVD's:

I had ordered both of Ryan & Friends new DVDs - they backed up the release date on one, but "Speaking Of Dummies" did arrive. Haven't had a chance to review it yet.
Hi, Folks!
I have bee, away for some time, but I am back. I also have ordered the DVDs Tow talked us about. Wainting for them to arrive in Belgium...
Still have a few ones to order to let my collection grow. My new database will be ready soon. You can already count more then 110 pieces in it on my site..
Please, never miss an opportunity to let me know about new DVDs. Europe is not very loquacious about them...
Thanks.

Frego
My wife bought me a DVD series for Christmas called Bananas (season 3). It is a series of clean stand up comedians froma Christian network series. I was pleasantly surprised to find David Pendelton as one of the featured performers.

He was really funny, if not entirely original in material.
Hi Neale

You could have seen an Pendleton Banana DVD on my site, on page 9 of my collection.

As a French speaking European I don't understand every joke, so you certainly appeciated that DVD better than I could. Any yet I took a real plasure in watching it. ;)

Frego
He had great technique. I especially like the granny character.
David has a great show. His newer DVD is available on his web site. I really enjoy watching him work!
Hi Tom!

I receaved your DVD 2 days ago. Could no wait and watched it througout...
I appreciate your... ventriloquiz. Just one mistake in my answers! You pay a worthful tribute to the greatest names!
I did not really spent a lot of time in Mexico. Perhaps because I would like to go there too...
I discovered "Dangerous" Duck with pleasure. Funny creature. And before he comes on stage, I wish I could draw a head with your talent on the Magic Board. Everytime I use it, people do laugh, but I am not sure of the reason why...
Really a special character, that Bighead.
You also get a really good collusion with that man with the mask and I find the girl rather funny too. You show a great art in "manimulating" those human puppets and do a high quality job in what you make them say...
I do not have any regrets whith your DVD. It should know a great success...

Be happy!

Frego
Thank you Frego!
Hi Tom,

Please provide the link to where I can order the DVD...thanks :)

Wanlu
Found it...ordering a copy now.

Thanks

Wanlu
Your DVD is shipping out today Wanlu. Many thanks!
Tom
By the way, can anyone provide me with Todd Oliver's DVD? I had made a payment in november I think but Todd could not claim it. The I made a new payment throuhg his site and here is the ansewer : "Message du marchand : sorry we do not offer international orders, here is your refund. Todd Oliver"
The surprise was huge and I would like - even if the guy does not seem to wish to sell his DVD abroad - to get it.

So if anyone can get it and send it to me I will pay what is needed...

Frego
Thanks, folks,
One of you (I will no say who, Todd would perhaps refuse to sell the stuff... :rotf: ) ordered the DVD for me.

Info : Il will soon add 18 japanese DVDs to my database. Some are highlights from the Jpanese Vents Convention. I should receive them in february. I will tell you how I like their performances.

Frego
Does anyone know of a source to obtain videos/dvd/s of Paul Winchell - late in life, say mid 1980's and beyond? I have heard about several taped gigs, but never have seen them for sale anywhere?

AC
I received 18 DVDs from Japan a few days ago. Takeshi Ikeda, Chairman of the Japan Ventriloquists' Association sent them to me for a really good price. If you want to know a few things about the Japan International Festival, just go and see these DVDs on my site (http://users.skynet.be/jlgeoffroy/). A lot of interesting things on them. I have not watched all of them, of course, but I peeped an eye on a series and I will spend some time to watch everything...

:sun:

Frego
Crystal Miller has a new DVD out - I got it on eBay - should have waited as she has realeased more of them and they now go for a third of what I paid. That said - she does an adult comedy show that has some language, but she knows her audience and they enjoy her. I've watched most of it, and plan on watching the rest soon. If you are interested in a copy, do an eBay search for Ventriloquist DVD and it should come up.
I saw this DVD tacrowl... Just don´t bought it beacuse I do not live in USA
=(
Hi Frego,

Thanks for including my DVD in your collection :)

It's a kiddie birthday party hosting workshop but we did tackle the topic of adding puppets in an act :) Plus my figure Don Dominador was in the workshop and my vent mentor Ony Carcamo and his figure Mr Parley performed as well.

http://users.skynet.be/jlgeoffroy/ventriloquie/vendtidvd12.htm

3 copies left in case anybody else wants a copy :)

Thanks again,

Wanlu
I watched Ryan Bomgardner's "Ryan and Friends--Keeping My Mouth Shut" DVD last night. He seems like a very pleasant young man, but I found the DVD barely watchable. For me, it was bland to the point of excruciating boredom. I think I cracked half a smile once and laughed never. The material struck me as formulaic, the characters routine and uninteresting. His figure manipulation is very good, but his lip control is merely OK.

Now, his audience seemed to love him and laughed heartily at lines that struck me as barely funny. I suspect that he and I have different audiences, but if I tried that material for my audiences, I'd be booed off the stage. But then, if I tried my material on his audiences, I'd probably be tarred, feathered, and run out of town on a rail.

Now, one of the reasons I love this board is that everyone is so supportive of everyone else, and threads with negative tones are few and far between. So I apologize if I've offended anyone by writing negative comments, but I calls 'em as I sees 'em.

Bob
Hi Bob,

I have a DVD coming out hopefully this year...it's a new concept (I think) :)

Anyway...just want to let you know that if you want a copy, it's already SOLD OUT...OUT OF STOCK...even DISCONTINUED :)

Thanks

Wanlu

P.S.

If you find Ryan's DVD boring...my DVD will just kill you...LITERALLY :) It will bore you out of this planet. :)
I haven't seen the DVD spoken about....but..

Without naming names, (don't worry Wanlu, it's not you, nor anyone else on this board, I love everybody, and everyone is great here.....)

I have seen MANY recorded performances on the web, and even on websites by supposedly "pro vents", that sucked beyond sucking. Boring, unfunny, truly horrible!

And of course, the worse you are the more likely the press is gonna come find you, and report to the masses on ya...which hurts us all...

It makes ya think being a pro vent oughta be like drivin' a car - license required!

Watching some of these lame videos that are out there, then watch Bergen, Winchell, Nelson, Fator, Dunham...etc etc.....you can easily see the difference. They make it look SO easy, with the whole package's....material, manipulation, etc....

I can only HOPE that as I attempt to go pro after my years of being an amateur, I don't fall into this same trap - another lame vent pretending he knows what he is doing.

In my opinion, the NUMBER ONE thing to master first in becoming a vent is COMEDY......I would rather see the worst lip control, worst manipulation, etc, with someone who is truly funny, that some of the vents that are currently out there.

I am currently video taping myself regularly, and trying to critique myself - yeah right, rave on McDuff, rave on McDuff....time will tell, time will tell.... ; )

AC
[quote]
On 2009-02-22 19:54, AC Vent wrote:

...In my opinion, the NUMBER ONE thing to master first in becoming a vent is COMEDY...I would rather see the worst lip control, worst manipulation, etc, with someone who is truly funny, that some of the vents that are currently out there.

I am currently video taping myself regularly, and trying to critique myself - yeah right, rave on McDuff, rave on McDuff....time will tell, time will tell.... ; )

AC
[/quote]

Vent comedy with no lip control at all would only lead to Otto and George...and John Pizzi. They will both crack you up. I think both Otto and John but specially John can perform with better lip control, they just don't see why they have to if they are so freakingly funny already :) John manipulates his figures very well...while Otto swings George like crazy yet that makes the act more funny :)

Check out Mr Bob Abdou's video at Vent Central...the one with the Marshall replica, the lip control is not exactly nice but the act is hysterical.

Wanlu
I agree. Comedy is more important than lip control. And I mean comedy that kills!

But if your comedy only means five-six people laughing and the rest of the audience are yawning, it's not killing. Killing means 5-6 big laughs per minute, at the very least. Look at Jeff Dunham and Otto and George.

I know it's a mighty big task for us. Live comedy is really hard work. It takes so much time, patience, and great thinking. We need to perform and try our materials in front of live audiences in every opportunity we have. There's no short cut. I learned that many big time comics produce only around 10-15 minutes of NEW killer material after trying 1 to 2 hours of new material in 3-6 months of regular performances and trials.
Hi Ony...Killer comedy is a lot easier watched than performed :) Jeff's LPM is amazing.

Back to the topic:

Vent DVD's :)

I'm planning to make one...I think it's a new concept. Well, maybe not entirely new :)

STREET VENTRILOQUISM ala Street magic ...I'll take footages inside the bus, train, the mall, the streets, hospitals...etc etc etc...we might even join a political rally.!
Back off the topic:

Yes. Comedy. COMEDY. COMEDY!! Ony is right. It is very hard to develop material. Do I say the line this way or that way? Which of two words is funnier? The only way to know is by trial and error in performance after performance.

BUT...

If you're going to be a ventriloquist, you owe your audience the best technique you can achieve. This means lip control, figure manipulation, character development, acting. Otherwise, the illusion of two characters interacting is diminished, as is the Art.

Bob
Bob,
When I started this thread, I was hoping to get reviews just like the one you posted. I also feel that Ryan's somewhat bland. To me, his comedy(?) moves at a very slow pacing. I find it predictable with generic delivery and very tough to watch.

But I'm not his target audience.

Ryan does seem like a great guy. I've talked with people who have worked with him and they all liked his act. He obviously has good connection with his audience. That's why I find DVD's so valuable. I try to study how the performer connects with their audience. You never know when you will find a gem of an interaction method that can help if you get into an interesting situation.

Thanks for the review!
Ryan who?
[quote]
On 2009-02-22 21:40, Bob Baker wrote:
Back off the topic:

Yes. Comedy. COMEDY. COMEDY!! Ony is right. It is very hard to develop material. Do I say the line this way or that way? Which of two words is funnier? The only way to know is by trial and error in performance after performance.

BUT...

If you're going to be a ventriloquist, you owe your audience the best technique you can achieve. This means lip control, figure manipulation, character development, acting. Otherwise, the illusion of two characters interacting is diminished, as is the Art.

Bob
[/quote]

Bob and all,
I think we have to start a new thread on this... developing comedy material. We can learn from the insights of everyone here as we are all audiences and performers.

Start it, Bob!

Ony
Ryan is a 'gospel ventriloquist' so his type of humor is exactly what a church-going crowd would be going for. So, in that aspect he "plays to his audience" which is the right thing to do as an entertainer.

You're right though...he would not last 2 seconds in a Comedy Club, but I don't get the impression that is where he would ever want to perform anyhow.

I have a DVD of another gospel vent....and his lip control was superb. His figure was superb. His material......99% taken from other acts. I couldn't believe it. I thought, "Wow..he has been doing this for years, and put out a DVD...and none of the material is original." I mean...if my entire act was stolen - I wouldn't put a DVD out.

Bob - I enjoyed your tape on YOUTUBE. Funny stuff!
[quote]
I have a DVD of another gospel vent....and his lip control was superb. His figure was superb. His material......99% taken from other acts. I couldn't believe it. I thought, "Wow..he has been doing this for years, and put out a DVD...and none of the material is original." I mean...if my entire act was stolen - I wouldn't put a DVD out.
[/quote]

Matt,
Glad you didn't mention names there. I'd like to offer a slightly different view of that thought.

As a full time performer, I've worked with and traded lots of material with other acts from all the variety arts. I've also gotten permission to re-write routines based on their original concept. I also use a fair share of "stock lines". So the question would be, how would anyone know if the vent you discussed 'stole' material and didn't trade, or use material purchased in a script form that has also been adapted by others. They wouldn't unless they directly asked the act or acts involved.

Just because we see someone do something "first", doesn't mean they originated the concept or routine.

Most acts create BOR sales items based on requests from the audience, not to show other vents what they do. Audiences purchase these because they liked the show or want to help out the performer. They do not care if the material is generic. The fact that there is a secondary market of ventriloquists is kind of a bonus.

Again, just another way to look at that.
Tom
Hello,
I would heartily reccommend John (Kimmo) Kimmon's new DVD talk to the hand.(available from http://www.kimmo.co.uk/)

Although it is being sold to the market of children/family performers it contains 5 great vent performances that could be adapted for any audience. There is also a voice-over on the vent routines explaining his thoughts behind how he approaches them. The animation on the boy and chimp puppets is marvelous. It also contains one of the best drawing board routines I have seen to date.

George
[quote]
On 2009-02-23 06:49, Matt_24 wrote:

Bob - I enjoyed your tape on YOUTUBE. Funny stuff!
[/quote]

Thanks so much, Matt. Interestingly, that was the first public performance of that material with that figure. I like to think over that over the past year I've improved it. Took out what wasn't working, added new stuff. And I must confess that Lucille's character has become even more "out there" since then.

Bob

P.S. Ony--you're on!
Tom,

Big difference between the stock lines that vents use - and an entire routine verbatim. Mighty big difference. And for those who pm'd, I would never tell the guys name, because I actually think the world of him. Great vent, great person...and that is that. And hey, I know everyone isn't a comedy writer. You think Dunham writes ALL of his material. Think again. Now, I'm sure he has developed a vast majority of it over the years, but he also pays professionals for good material. Worth every penny too! Writing jokes is hard... I've been trying, LOL.

While we're talking about great stock lines, I love the stock line Bob Baker used.
"I give you the illusion of life."
"Well, I give you the illusion of talent."
I ALWAYS laugh at that!!!

Matt
Stock line???!!! I swear on my (7) children I thought I came up with that myself years ago. I never knowingly use stock lines. Oh, well. I'm sure the guy who invented the wheel thought he came up with that, too.

B
You are completely right there Matt - didn't read the earlier post as taking the whole routine verbatim. Sorry.

BTW - When I talked with Jeff last summer he mentioned he was working on a fourth DVD. This was right after he finished taping the Christmas special. I asked him how many writers he worked with - he said none. Right...

Lets take this over to Bob's new thread - and keep DVD reviews here. It looks like it will be an interesting discussion!
[quote]
On 2009-02-23 10:14, magicgeorge wrote:
Hello,
I would heartily reccommend John (Kimmo) Kimmon's new DVD talk to the hand.(available from http://www.kimmo.co.uk/)

Although it is being sold to the market of children/family performers it contains 5 great vent performances that could be adapted for any audience. There is also a voice-over on the vent routines explaining his thoughts behind how he approaches them. The animation on the boy and chimp puppets is marvelous. It also contains one of the best drawing board routines I have seen to date.

George
[/quote]

Thanks for that review George!!

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zBK_3b6jlU]You can watch the promo for my DVD here [/url]
[url=http://users.tinyonline.co.uk/jkimmo/Kimmostore.html]CLICK HERE for my order page[/url]

John
Original or copying others?

When I began to believe I was able to meet a publlic I wrote a 25 minutes show. It all came from myself, without copying anyone : I had seen no DVD nor show at that moment. I rewrote it later, and gave it a quicker and better rythm. That was three yeas ago.

A few weeks ago a magician who wanted to perform ventriloquism sent me his scenario and asked me if I could help him make it good. I worked on it and he is now happy to have a good sketch. I hope he is right... ;)

Is it original? Is it "borrowed"? Neither. Just a collaboration on a theme probably no vent-magician has ever used. The idea is his. The text is partly mine. That's all.

Do we really invent systematically new ideas? I am not sure. But when Dale Brown refuses to issue a second DVD because his work has been stolen by other vents, I find it sad. Stolen means reproduced almost exactly as he performed.

My friend Jacques Albert (Belgian vent) reproduces a Ronn Lucas' sketch. But he got the permission of the author, and when he performs that very item, he says exactly he borrowed it legally from the genuine artist.

All arts need probity, honesty. Is it so difficult?

Be happy

Frego
I just finished watching Kimmo's DVD. Great job John - excellent manipulation. I really liked your work with Jambo and the Frog Prince with Charlie always makes me laugh.
I want to order Kimmo's because I have seen part of his Frog Prince on Youtube.

This goes back to adapting material - Kimmo does Frog Prince, which he adapted from Steve Taylor who adpated it from (I believe) Clifford Guest.

When doing a fairy tale which would be clearly in public domain, is it stealing to put your own spin on the telling of it?

Some of Andy Griffith's old records of him telling "southern" versions of things is much the same.
Took this over to the developing material thread...
She probably doesn't have a DVD because of the shortness of her act, but one of my very favourite performers is Nina Conti and Monk. Whether I've seen it once or a hundred times, she still cracks me up :)

Tod
P.S. I should add that Conti and Monk is an adult act, however.
Just got a note that David Strassman's DVD's are now available on Amazon.com for the United States. To find them go to Amazon and do a search for his name.
Also just saw that Terry Fator's new DVD is available by pre-order on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001PO6BYE?ie=UTF8&tag=monteblog-20&linkCode=as\2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B001PO6BYE
Just a few notes on past posts:
I saw Nina Conti here is Australia last month... full 1 hour show... fantastic!! Started with her carrying Monk on in a little cage and ended with a huge version of Monk carrying Nina in a cage!

Also, both John Pizzi and Bart Rockett have new DVD's available.

http://www.johnpizzi.com
http://www.bartrockett.com

cheers,
Darren.
Hi Darren :)

Thanks for the info bout Nina Conti and Monk...wow, an hour show? She is really a fantastic vent and her style is distinct too.

BTW, I hope you liked our masks and the puppets too :)

Thanks

Wanlu
Just found out David Strassman has a third DVD out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gl_2Chaxxho

He is doing a double mask routine in this one. I found it on eBay, being sold in Autralia - ordered and it is on the way!
Terry is such an amazing guy. He sent news to Venthaven that when we registered, we added our name to a list and he would be sending us each a copy of the new DVD as his gift to his fellow vents.
[quote]
On 2009-08-15 10:26, tacrowl wrote:
Just found out David Strassman has a third DVD out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gl_2Chaxxho

He is doing a double mask routine in this one. I found it on eBay, being sold in Autralia - ordered and it is on the way!
[/quote]

Thanks for posting this, Tom. I'm a huge Strassman fan. Mine is on its way, too.

Bob
Hi Guys,I wonder if you can help me out here.I went to Amazon and tried ordering all 3 of David Strassman's dvd but somehow,they don't ship to my country.Can someone sell me a copy or help me to process the orders please?
I am also looking forwrd to expending my library on anything related to puppets.
So if you have copies of anything vent can you pm me.Thanks!

Frankie
Frankie,
You may want to try getting them through eBay. The seller I dealt with is in Australia.
Tom
Cool stuff. I ordered the 2nd Strassman DVD. I bought his first one (on VHS..yikes) in 2004. He was the Jeff Dunham of Australia/New Zealand before Jeff Dunham was Jeff Dunham here....if that made any sense.

Now I have to figure out how to order the 3rd. From Australia you say?
[quote]
On 2009-08-20 11:42, Matt_24 wrote:

Now I have to figure out how to order the 3rd. From Australia you say?
[/quote]

Matt:
Let me help. Find it here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Strassman-Live-Volume-3-Get-Chuck-d-Tour-New-DVD-R4_W0QQitemZ330351484773QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Movies_Movies_TV_Shows?hash=item4cea7b9f65&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14#ht_708wt_1167

Bob
Thanks Doc!
Somebody beat me to it!!!!
I just missed the Strassman Live dvd.Sigh...
Any other place I can find more?
Frankie,
Keep checking eBay - in fact, do a search on there for the DVD. They will have more!
David Crone just published his new DVD - you can order them online at:
http://kunaki.com/MSales.asp?PublisherId=120475
I keep waiting for Jay Johnson to put his Tony-winning show on DVD. Any news on that?
Thanks Tom! I ordered David's dvd.Looking for more!
Jay published a post about a DVD on his blog. It didn't sound like he would be taping the show anytime soon. Although you can get SOAP on DVD and enjoy his scenes from that.
Mr Jay Johnson got one of our masks... he received it yesterday and told me he loves it and will use it soon :)

I hope he includes the act if he makes a DVD :)
Got the third Strassman DVD. Have to be honest, I didn't feel it was as good as his others, but you have to admire the guy. His characters are so well defined and his new "puppet" Angel was very interesting.
I received/watched the 2nd Strassman DVD.

It was not as good as his first and if you're telling me that the third is even worse, that doesn't leave me excited, LOL.

Strassman's characters are good, but none are at the level of entertainment or realism as Chuck Wood.

Admittedly, I've never been a soft-puppet/animal puppet guy for adult audiences, although Ted E. Bear is excellent and Strassman brings him to life as well as he does Chuck. Still, it is all I can do to stay awake to watch the Bear because that routine just isn't very funny to me.

The Beaver, the alien, the dolphin...dont' do anything for me at all. It is like he is just adding characters to make his show longer. I will compliment Strassman by saying that I think he brings "Chuck" to life as good as Bergen brought Charlie to life. The voice, the manipulation, everything...Chuck is ALIVE! Watching Strassman perform with Chuck is the only portion of the show I care to watch quite honestly.

What else..what else...the animatronic stuff was neat - but a bit too much for me. I guess that is all I have.
Finished watching David Crone's new DVD. David is a friend and he has been working on this project for some time. The DVD features Eugene (a Selberg), Curtis, Wilmer & Edna (MAT puppets), Jose' (not sure who made that one!) and a double mask routine. Lots of great original comedy and David's technique is showcased very well.

The DVD is actually produced to order by Kunaki. I was very impressed with the quality of the product. The DVD did hang up several times on my DVD player, but played perfectly on my computer.
Hi Everyne,

I just ordered David Crone's DVD. And I am wainting a reply from David Strassman because the price of his third disk on e-bay is too high. It would cost me about twice the price of the first two ones.
Im am not really sure the second one is not as good as #1. It is somewhat different, of course, coarse language letting it go on another way. I did appreciate it.
By now, my collection is about 150 items. I still miss a series of disks, and some will probably never come to me... Realy hope fo attend the ConVention in 2011... and perhaps already in 2010...
:yippee:

Frego
I watched David Strassman's 3rd DVD last night, and while I don't think it's his best effort (can you name any vent's 3rd DVD that's as good as his first???) I was impressed that he continues to strive for originality. His new A.N.G.E.L. puppet is unlike anything you've seen. It's also important that he is creating a full evening touring show. This is the third one he's done. Pretty impressive, I say.

I also like Chuck the best. Strassman has created a memorable character there, complete with back story. Chuck is funny, dark, edgy, vulgar, and, in a way, detached from it all. I really like his attitude.

Bob
I do agree with you, Bob. I do not catch ervery joke because my mother tongue is not English but French. But I do find a real line, a permanent line in Strassman's venting.
Chuck is his worst character, and for that very reason, his best. But even if Ted E. Bare seems really just tender, I think we must not undervalue his psychology.
And I also love Strassman's creativity in his deep variety of characters.
He was among the first artists I included in my collection.

Frego, from Belgium
By the way, my collection is still growing. It shows now 158 DVD's (among which the 18 coming from Japan).
http://users.skynet.be/jlgeoffroy/ventriloquie/vendtidvd.htm (both in French and English).
:nose:
I just ordered Jimmy Tamley's two DVD's. You can find his web site at:
http://www.jimmytamley.com
Thanks for the information, Tom. I'm waiting for them too... Recently got David Morgan's Triple Play. A deception. He uses a vent doll (Chucky, head looking like a duck, but the body looks like some othe animal - four legs...).
He says himself in one of the three shows that he is no ventriloquist, but a puppeeter or something like that. I wonder why he never made the effort to become a real ventriloquist. His shows would be much better...

Frego
Frego,
Not sure why David never tried vent, although maybe he just didn't feel the need to do so. He claims he is creating the voice using a special technique, but Jimmy Weldon also used that type of voice as did JTO.

Got Jimmy's DVD's. Shipping was very fast. Haven't had a chance to watch yet.
Tom
Hello Tom,

He is fairly funny...

I just ordered Nina Conti's DVD. Hope it will be soon in my computer! She is so funny and marvelous!
Here is the link : http://www.ninaconti.co.uk/store/price.htm?dvd=1®ion=1

Sure you will want to get it too...

Frego
Thanks Frego! I e-mailed to find out additional shipping charges for the U.S. Hoping she gets back to me soon. Nina was a VentHaven this year and I unfortunately missed it due to shows. Understand she was incredible.
Tom
Nina Conti and Monk are simply priceless!

Tod
[quote]
On 2009-10-31 18:03, tacrowl wrote:
Thanks Frego! I e-mailed to find out additional shipping charges for the U.S. Hoping she gets back to me soon. Nina was a VentHaven this year and I unfortunately missed it due to shows. Understand she was incredible.
Tom
[/quote]
Tom:
It's about 3 pounds and change. There's a shipping button on her website that lists postage to the UK and "The rest of the world." Total DVD + shipping comes to about $19.

B
Bob,
Where are you finding that? On the page Frego directed me to, she has shipping for Europe and the button. Is my browser failing to update pages again?
Tom
Tom,

on this page there's a drop down box, where you select REST of the WORLD

http://www.ninaconti.co.uk/store/index.htm
Hey, it looks like there will be a real rush to Nina's DVD! Sure no one will have any regrets!

:goof:
Ordered mine just now...thanks gang :)
Thanks Donald. Found it. Funny thing is, she had responded to my e-mail and said she would send the DVD to the U.S., but never mentioned the selection button.
Sorry, Tom, I copied the link at a wrong moment...
The important thing is that everyone can get the DVD...

By the way, I do have a new series of disks in my site... ;o)

Every time I think that I have got the last one I can possibly add, a new one comes out on the net...

Cheers

Frego
I think Nina Conti is the business. Smart, sexy, funny. Just the sort of act to show the public that ventriloquism is as relavent today as it ever way. I would love tos ee more of her.
For those who have Conti's dvd, is her act with Monkey the only stand-out one the disk?

Ie., the rest of the dvd less than funny filler?

Curious having not see anything from her without Monkey, which of course she is genius with!

Tod
[quote]
For those who have Conti's dvd, is her act with Monkey the only stand-out one the disk?[/quote]

I don't own the DVD but exact this (that the monkey routine is the only good one on the DVD) was stated in a german ventriloquism forum from users who own the DVD. The rest was in their opinion "boring".

Marco.
Hi everybody,

Nina Conti came home this morning. Her DVD I mean...
I spent 25 minutes exploring it. Yes, the performance with Monk is the very best on the disk. But there are plenty of good things too on the other parts... Even if the movie is rather... not boaring, but less interesting. And sometimes, for a few seconds, perhaps we would yawn... :rotf:
But I loved it all.
I will watch it completely on next week...

Frego
Thanks for the feedback, gents!
Watched Jimmy Tamley's "The Dummy Run" DVD. He does short bits with lots of characters - so if you are into seeing a lot of puppets, you will. One interesting thing was watching him wander with the puppets through the audience. Should have time to watch his other DVD "Jungle Jim" soon.
A great moment is alos the arrival of a dummy on the stage on a... motorbike! Lot of puppets, lot of voices. I love the old man (the first one) greeting the children and then «all the geriatrics»...
Jungle jim show another series of dummies. Animals, of course. Amazing and amusing.
Jimmy's technique is excellent. He sure is a great pro!

Frego
I paid for a Nina Conti DVD via her website but never got a confirmation message...I also emailed her and she never replied.

What should I do?
Wanlu,
Give her some time to get it to you. Not everyone sends out confirmations. If you placed the order through PayPal, you will have options - but I wouldn't sweat it yet. I never got a confirmation either - but I'm sure it will eventually arrive.
Tom
Thanks Tom :) I will just wait... :)
Just finished watching the "show" on Nina Conti's disk. She makes use of Monk throughout the program. If you've seen her Youtube clips, those bits featured some of her most time tested material.

It was definitely a different type of show from what I am used to seeing. She took some risks - some paid off and IMHO some did not. I absolutely died laughing at the "Voodoo P***s"

While I have yet to watch the extras - I would say this one is worth adding to a collection. Congrats to Nina for taking a unique approach.
Tom
Charming "Cast" of characters on your site, Tom:

http://www.magic-pig.com/ventriloquist1.htm

Just thought I'd say :)
Tod
Thanks Tod.
Charming "Cast" of characters on your site, Tom:

http://www.magic-pig.com/ventriloquist1.htm

Just thought I'd say :)
Tod
Finished Conti tonite. I agree with Tom that some bits worked very well, others less so. But let's hear it for her for taking vent in new directions. As with all great performers, she's original, not like anyone else.

Monk is, I think, one of the great vent characters of all time, truly original. He understands the ventriloquial relationship, he comments on it, he deconstructs it. I found it easy to forget it was Nina talking, and then Monk promptly slapped me back into reality.

The bit where Monk hypnotized her was both clever and beautifully executed. I had a "why-didn't-I-think-of-that" moment watching it.

The other characters are not nearly so well developed. But then how could they be? Some were appearing for the first time, and Monk has been with her from the very beginning.

All in all, think this is one of the best DVD's in my collection. Nina Conti is taking vent in a new direction. It will be fun to see where she goes next.

Bob
Got my Nina Conti DVD today and made my day extra special :)

I love Nina and Monk...her style is different and the old man routine was pretty cool. It probably happened for real, I mean not exactly like that but I have a feeling a similar thing happened to his Gramps using his vent skills...well you know the story. :)

Kudos to Nina :)

I however did not quite understand the EXTRA video in the DVD...
I see that Vince Dantona has a couple of DVD's available... http://www.vinceandgeorge.com. Anyone seen them?
I have them in my collection. It has been awhile since I watched, but I remember enjoying them.

Charlie Horner has a new DVD out on his religious ventriloquism called "Charlie Horner Live!!". I got one through eBay, but haven't had the chance to watch it yet. He may sell them on his web site:
charliehornerandtheboys.com
Just found this site: http://www.hymieandstymie.com/, selling a DVD and documentary on a show from 1988.

Dan Axlerod says he created the funniest ventriloquist act ever captured on videotape. Strong praise coming from the act himself. The only press clipping wasn't as impressive - but Dan talks about that. There are clips of the act and the comedy will definitely not be for everyone. Not sure if I will add this to my collection - but figured I'd post it here for others to find.

Tom
Not sure this was mentioned on the thread - but I'm No Dummy is out on DVD. It includes clips of Jay Johnson and Lynn Trefzger. Jay has yet to release a DVD, although you can get the SOAP series on DVD. Lynn, as far as I know, does not have a DVD either. I'm No Dummy gives you clips of their performances along with many others. If you don't have it, I highly recommend it.
[quote]
On 2010-05-23 16:22, tacrowl wrote:
Not sure if I will add this to my collection - but figured I'd post it here for others to find.
Tom
[/quote]

I ordered it. I'll let y'all know what I think.

B
Apparently Dan Axelrod is listed as a dealer for this years Venthaven convention. Not sure I would add it to my collection either. Definitely not my cup of tea.
Whoa....I don't mind cutting edge humor, but this is crap - pure racist stereotypes. I am surprised Venthaven would allow this.
Vent Haven ConVENTion is definitely a family-oriented event and I haven't see Axelrod's DVD. I only heard about it after the fact..after he was registered as a dealer. To this day I haven't seen it...but if it is objectionable and sterotypes others I will have a talk with Dan about this.

Rest assured that the ConVENTion will not allow filth or racially objectionable material to appear in our dealer's rooms.

Mark Wade
Executive Director
Vent Haven ConVENTion
Here, Mark, go look at this: http://www.hymieandstymie.com/
It is pure filth. A real hate dvd. Any public figure who uttered even a smidgin of what is on this "performance" would be immediately driven from office or fired. I oppose most censorship - for this, I will make an exception.
Is it filthy? Yes. (So was Richard Prior.) Is it hateful? No. I don't think Axelrod hates Jews and African-Americans. I don't think he's trying to make other people hate them either.

He is making us laugh at stereotypes. And he is exaggerating, which is what comedians do. I am Jewish, and I was not offended by his humor. Jewish culture has a LONG history of making fun of ourselves; I just see this as part of that.

I fully respect others' right to be offended. We all draw a line which we won't cross based on our upbringing, beliefs, experiences, etc. But if you don't like what Axelrod is doing, don't send him your money. Don't watch his videos. But censorship? That's walking a slippery slope.

Bob

P.S. By the way, I fully agree support Mark's attitude regarding dealers at the ConVENTion. It's his show; he can make the rules.
Well, I am not Jewish and I am not black, but I am offended. I don't laugh at sterotypes like this and I don't laugh at others' misfortunes. Why not just put a handicap person up there, yank their crutch away and laugh as they fall. Not only won't I send him my money, I'll raise a voice against his inclusion in family oriented events. We just celebrated the 4th yesterday, and if this country is have any home then it needs to re-establish its values. That video does the exact opposite. It lets people think it is OK to look at Jews and Blacks in the way they are presented there. That is exactly what Hitler did in Germany - first there was the parody of Jews, then the sterotyping, then the hatred, then the genocide. I, for one, say "No."
Thanks, guys, for your imput and support. I did contact Axelrod and he assured me this DVD will not be on his table. He does carry some interesting DVD's of old time vent from the Ed Sullivan Show and other places...some hard to find..so he does has some worthwhile DVD's for sale. I will double check to make sure this does not surface.

I enjoy reading your posts...and am having a good time with posting about vent.

Mark

Mark Wade-Ventriloquist
[quote]
On 2010-07-05 21:47, Winks wrote:
Well, I am not Jewish and I am not black, but I am offended. I don't laugh at sterotypes like this and I don't laugh at others' misfortunes. Why not just put a handicap person up there, yank their crutch away and laugh as they fall. Not only won't I send him my money, I'll raise a voice against his inclusion in family oriented events. We just celebrated the 4th yesterday, and if this country is have any home then it needs to re-establish its values. That video does the exact opposite. It lets people think it is OK to look at Jews and Blacks in the way they are presented there. That is exactly what Hitler did in Germany - first there was the parody of Jews, then the sterotyping, then the hatred, then the genocide. I, for one, say "No."
[/quote]

I fear I did not make myself clear on this. I believe that when Axelrod is making fun of sterotypes, he is holding the stereotypes up for ridicule, not the groups being sterotyped. I don't think Axelrod is "let[ting] people think it is OK to look at Jews and Blacks in the way they are presented there." I think he is letting people laugh at the way they are presented. That's different.

And I strongly believe in this country's values, including freedom of speech and tolerance of diverse opinions.

B
I guess I have a little trouble seeing that distinction. I watched all of the clips all the way through (I don't think it would be fair to criticize what's presented without watching the whole bloody thing).

See, the thing is...the material's not even funny. Just sort of middle-school mean and snarky.
I've seen better campfire shows.
The audience isn't even an audience. It's a sound effect (In many cases the SAME sound effect repeated multiple times). I wouldn't be surprised if you told me the guy was sitting in his own basement. Alone.

So...he makes up songs (or transcribes them from the locker room toilet stall walls, I dunno)...peppers it all with well known recordings I know he hasn't licensed...and seems to suggest, pretty much, that anybody who is offended doesn't "get it." It's satirical!

Um..no. No, it's not.
Golly...I mean...Richard Pryor was filthy...but he was also funnier'n hell. He made black jokes but he was, you know, like...black.
I guess if Mr. Axelrod is Jewish he gets a few points...but not enough. Jerry Layne was Jewish...and Velvel spoke with a Yiddish dialect...but they were funny.
Oh, and they didn't do racist jokes about black folks.
I'm sorry...the guy's not funny. He's only a passable vent. He doesn't know the first thing about manipulating a figure and making it "alive." And he substitutes racism and antisemitism for humor and, should you happen to be offended, you're just not "hip" enough.
Oh, and his bio spiel is self-pitying and probably largely untrue.
But, other than that...

-Philip
It seems that in most cases the people who are offended are not the target of the comedy. I just don't understand how someone who is not Jewish can be offended by Jewish humor, when Bob, who is Jewish, wasn't offended. To me that sounds more like a guilt reaction - concern that others may be offended so therefore you should be as well.

In my original post I mentioned the comedy would not be for everyone. It is listed here because the thread is about Ventriloquist DVDs - not about the appropriateness of the content. I look forward to Bob's review of the DVD.
I'm sorry, Tom. I respect the heck out of ya, but I can't see what I watched of Axelrod's stuff as very comedic. Also not really very good. I wasn't offended, really (I'm Jewish, but pretty much non-practicing the last couple of decades), I just thought that the material was something you could come up with if you spent half an hour thinking about all the Jewish and African American stereotypes, and then pretty much just parroted them. The parody songs were, as I indicated above, kinda sophomoric and obvious.

The storyteller/standup Myron Cohen was Jewish and told Jewish stories...many of which depended upon stereotypes. He got points because he was Jewish...but he also got points because the stories were funny.
Molly Goldberg...same deal. Fanny Brice...same deal.

Richard Pryor...points because he was black...but he was also funny...and I'm not sure he did Jewish jokes, too. But if he did, they'd be based on personal experience and they'd be funny.
Flip Wilson..funny. (His drag stuff, particularly, was black oriented)
Willie Tyler...funny. Haven't seen his stuff in some years, but, as I recall, there was black humor as well as general audience...and he was a really good vent who knew how to keep his figure alive.
Eddie Murphy...funny black-oriented material. Also played "Gumby--****it!" with a Yiddish dialect. Funny take on old time showbusiness borscht-belt comics.

There are offensive vents, of course. Dan Horn comes to mind. Some of Dunham's stuff comes to mind...but they're also funny.

If this thread is about good vent DVDs, then I guess, as I've indicated here and above...I'd have to say the guy's not good and it'd be a bad idea to spend the money on him. No offense to him. Maybe if he found a writer and took the Maher course he'd be better.
But I'm not gonna jump up and down about it.
No offense meant.
Just sayin'. :)

-Philip
I think that's a key thing. Is it funny? If it is a lot will be forgiven. There are quite a few examples of this these days though, things that rely on rubbing your face in 'political incorrectness' (a term I don't care for but it's clear enough) with the notion that it is somehow intrinsically funny and cutting edge to do that. The thing is, it's not INTRINSICALLY funny. The show 'Family Guy' does a lot of this. Not that the show is never funny, but they rely on the mistaken idea that repeatedly being 'politically incorrect' is funny and hip so much that the writing has become lazy and the comedy often isn't there. I think the formula should be, if it's actually funny it's fair game. If it's not, being wildly offensive won't make it so.
Philip,
We are actually in agreement. I never said the guy was funny. I personally don't think he is. In fact, I couldn't watch all of his on-line clips.

My statement about being offended was geared more for Winks post. No offense Winks, but if Philip and Bob are both Jewish and weren't offended I'm not sure why you were.
[quote]To me that sounds more like a guilt reaction - concern that others may be offended so therefore you should be as well. [/quote]

Bad comedy is bad. I won't be adding the DVD to my collection - but it is out there, which is why I posted it.
Tom
I forgot to post that I was able to add some DVD's to my collection while at VentHaven. Brad Cummings DVD features his performance on a cruise ship along with clips of his television appearances. Sammy King has a DVD of his Follies show. Dan Horn was also selling DVD's of his Japanese lecture. The last had a limited availability and Dan wasn't sure he'd be getting more - so I was happy to snag one!
Anyone have David Strassman, Volume 3, they want to part with? Contact me at donald@woodynfriends.com

Thanks
Somehow I missed getting Sammy's. I hope I can get one next year.
It was the one played during his lecture Neale. Also included the "live puppet" that ran off the stage at the end. A clip of that was on his web site. Not sure it still is.
I just watch a new Platinum Comedy Series DVD featuring some of Jeff D's early comedy club work. Some of these performances are on YouTube, but are very poor quality video there.

I really enjoyed this DVD. As a bonus, there are performances by Louis Black, Louis CK, Bill Maher, Patton Oswalt, and others. Overall, a very enjoyable DVD.

Here's the link:
http://www.amazon.com/Lafflink-Presents-Platinum-Comedy-Dunham/dp/B003JOOTUQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1289256578&sr=1-1

Bob
I was directing someone to Nina Conti's site, and I noticed that she is now selling 2 DVD's for the price of 1. When you order "Complete and Utter Conti," you also get "Evolution." Being a Conti fan, I ordered the 2 discs, and just finished watching "Evolution." This was Nina's 2009 SoHo show, and it is very smart and very clever. (I mean, how many vent acts do you know that make reference to solipsism? )

You can order the 2 DVD's here:

Bob
[quote]
On 2011-02-18 18:51, Bob Baker wrote:
I was directing someone to Nina Conti's site, and I noticed that she is now selling 2 DVD's for the price of 1. When you order "Complete and Utter Conti," you also get "Evolution." Being a Conti fan, I ordered the 2 discs, and just finished watching "Evolution." This was Nina's 2009 SoHo show, and it is very smart and very clever. (I mean, how many vent acts do you know that make reference to solipsism? )

You can order the 2 DVD's here:

Bob
[/quote]
Bob;

An interesting web site she has, it's very nice.

What do you think about me posing for a similar photo where I lay in a bed of roses unclothed?

Do you think it will have the same effect?
Be still, my heart!
Message: Posted by: Steve at The Dummy Shoppe (Feb 22, 2011 01:29PM)
Buzz,

I am sure you are a nice guy, but I will pass on that opportunity. I have heard it said that after 50, the best form of birth control is nudity.

Steve
http://www.thedummyshoppe.com
Steve;

If it worked for her and she is successful, I don’t see why I can’t copy it and be as successful?
Pete Michaels has a new DVD out called [i]Live in Concert![/i]. I watched it tonight and it's a classic P.M. performance before an audience that clearly enjoyed the show. I think you'll enjoy it, too.

http://www.petemichaels.com/merch.html

Bob
Thanks Bob. Just ordered it. Hoping it doesn't take as long to get as the last time I ordered from him.
Mine came 2 days after I ordered it.

B