(Close Window)
Topic: Important Words For Coin Magic People! (Please to be excited now)
Using the latest compression techniques (i.e. small print) I’ve managed to jam 35 years of coin magic experience into a book that fits in your pocket. The Pocketbook is part travel log, part reference guide, part roadmap for exploring the untamed wilds of coin magic. Here’s a peek inside my Pocketbook:

Baffled by Bobo? You’re not alone. There are serious errors in MCM, and I’ve explained the most dangerous ones. I’ve listed the important moves that Bobo didn’t include, and also the ones that he couldn’t have known. If your only text is MCM, you should at least know what you don’t know.

Tired of being teased about the “limited” range of coin effects? Don’t let card-carrying bullies kick sand in your face. Listed here are 52 published effects where coins don’t go across, through the table, or transpose.

Learn to recognize the two types of retention pass and how each of them works; the right way to do a click pass; a more deceptive way to do the utility switch; the proper way to start the copper/silver transposition; why the jumbo coin is the “little black dress” of coin magic and why the most important thing about producing one is what you do afterwards; four proven ways to end a set without a jumbo; the right way to use repetition; where naturalness fails us; when the classic palm is useless; ten common “tells” to look out for; the psychological principle that even fools dogs; why you get caught and what to do about it; and hints on the muscle pass, hand washing, finesse, and ditching.

These are not theories. These are working secrets gathered over the course of 35 years in smoke-filled bars, either working for real people, or sessioning with guys who have been at it even longer. It’s the experience of a lifetime in one little book, a coin magic mentor that fits in your pocket.

I teach no tricks, and show you no moves. The Pocketbook is more about insight than innovation. Instead of learning new tricks, you’ll understand how to make magic out of the ones you know. Your copy is waiting for you at http://www.Lulu.com, just search on “Coin magic that doesn’t suck”.
Great news !! Having experienced some of Curtis' coin magic up close I can definitely say his coin magic doesn't suck in the least. Heck he got this card guy interested and working on coin magic. This will be great. Don't hesitate to get it.

And for those in the Chicago area Curtis will be making a very rare midwest appearance and lecture on Monday April 7 at Midwest Magic. Details to follow.
Just bought this online! Awaiting delivery.

Curtis... This had better be excellent or I will hunt you down like a rabid dog!!

Much love and respect.

James 'vengeful' Brown
Ah, love and respect from the WWE, apparently. I like it. We should all have middle names from the world of professional wrestling.

But I'm confused--in your metaphor, which of us is supposed to be the rabid dog?

Curtis "the Grammar-Jammer" Kam
Awesome curtis! will pick it up next week (payday) =D

and fools dogs! I can fool my girl friends cat with a red sponge ball its pretty funny, it likes red things a lot and will dig its head into my hand finding nothing! lol
Bah I went ahead and paid with a echeck I could not wait lol thanks cutis, this sounds very good!

never ordered from lulu before, pretty neat seems they print your book to order. Magic Al La Carte!

Josh "The Compulsive Coin Handler" Barrett
Hah, so I'm not the only one experimenting on the family pet. My dog doesn't understand cats' fascination with sponge balls, dogs being color blind, and all. But I have a report from a friend (who's evidently odder than we are) that this principle works on 8 month old infants, too.

If we get any confirmation of this at all, we'll publish our findings in Nature.
[quote]
On 2008-03-19 14:20, Curtis Kam wrote:
Ah, love and respect from the WWE, apparently. I like it. We should all have middle names from the world of professional wrestling.

But I'm confused--in your metaphor, which of us is supposed to be the rabid dog?

Curtis "the Grammar-Jammer" Kam
[/quote]

Good point well made. I'll be the dog first and you can chase me next time...

Seriously Curtis - I am looking forward to this. Workable professional coin material.

Cheers

James Brown (given up on the WWE due to the fact that I am not a sad tosser.)
Compression a book? Does your book have any illustration to explain those moves?
Well, there is no moves taught according to Curtis, so if there is no pictures, I guess that means each and every move taught is fully illustrated in full color.
Josh is right. Not only are there no illustrations, they're all in the books you already have. Someone once said that there's no secret to good magic, it's a lot of little ones. I've found, tested, and collected those secrets in one convenient place. For instance, a lot of effects have to do with coins being put in your pocket. As to presenting these, I say:

"...say `I'll put one away' or `I'll make this simpler' instead of `We put one of these three coins in my pocket, over here.' Actors on stage simply declare, `I'm leaving', not `I'm going to go to that door, turn the knob, swing it open and go through the doorway'."

As you can see, it's succinct. And that's all I have to say about that.
I think we can all agree there are plenty of moves out there. I sometimes cringe when I get a new book/dvd on coin magic that says somthing about new moves, because it feels like there is no end to it. anymore I'm looking for more construction, patter ideas, and things that I might not think about, and not so much a new way to move a coin into backclip etc
you can learn moves your entire life but you need to be able to apply them. so many of us disregard all theatrics and entertaining quality of what we do to focus on techical aspect.
Message: Posted by: Christopher Williams (Mar 20, 2008 08:36AM)
I don't think there is any such thing as a 'New' move, but rather an adaptation of an older move
[quote]
On 2008-03-20 09:36, Christopher Williams wrote:
I don't think there is any such thing as a 'New' move, but rather an adaptation of an older move
[/quote]

eh, id agree and disagree to that. sometimes things are inspired from old moves but the workings are different enough that prior experience with the "original" helps little to nil.
Message: Posted by: Christopher Williams (Mar 20, 2008 09:51AM)
[quote]
On 2008-03-20 10:09, Joshua Barrett wrote:
[quote]
On 2008-03-20 09:36, Christopher Williams wrote:
[/quote]

eh, id agree and disagree to that. sometimes things are inspired from old moves but the workings are different enough that prior experience with the "original" helps little to nil.
[/quote]

If it was inspired by something, then surely it is adapated in some form, making not exactly new. Yes it is new and exciting as it hasn't been done like that before, BUT, it is still an adaptation of something much older
Lets no derail curtis thread to much =D but I still think its to general of a statment to be fact. sometimes adapatations don't resemble at all, the root from which they came that's all I'm saying. and to say all new moves are old moves I don't think to be nessecarly true either. myabe some of the time, heck maybe most of the time, but not --all-- the time
Curtis! How's the island going? Richard tells me you've been hanging out at Kahala a lot recently. Anyway, I'm definitely looking forward to picking this up once payday comes around.
The Islands are fine, including the weirdest weekly session anyone has ever seen. You guys have to see this--Richard and a bunch of hard core magicians doing a magic session in the middle of a shopping mall. It's weird, there's privacy in spite of all the people passing by, unless you need an audience, then there they are. I haven't been by in about a week, which is too bad, because last time I was there, I left Richard and the gang with a card routine I've never been able to finish. I'm dying to see what they came up with.

Aloha and out.
Thanks Curtis, I just picked this up along with a hardcover addition of MCM. I jumped ahead after learning most of the basic sleights and learned a good coins accross as well as CoinOne but now I'm going back to the beginning to learn a little more about how this all got started. I could certainly use some "polish" as well and it looks like your book contains just that.

M
Spot on, M, that's the combination I had in mind. After reading The Pocketbook, you'll have a pretty good idea what else to read.

Funny, "Coin Polish" was my other choice for a title. Maybe you should consider being a mindreader. :)
Another satisfied customer--the UK's coin star Craig Petty posted a few nice words about The Pocketbook here:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=263811&forum=110&1&start=0#0

Come on, listen to the man. Open your Pocketbook now. Don't make me start some dingbat contest...
According to Lulu my copy is enroute to me now and I'm really looking forward to reading it. I couldn't wait for the dingbat contest.
Whatever you do don't give away steel chinese coins lol
All sounds exciting...just placed my order for a copy. Wondering how I could have missed this one till now...cardicians' plot, no doubt ;-)
You won't regret it George. My copy arrived on Friday and I opened it up to take a quick qlance at it and ended up reading the whole thing right then. What a great book!
And thank you Curtis for sharing your thoughts and observations concerning coin work. I'm sure this information will improve my coin magic.
Any chance of you doing a lecture here in Portland Oregon,Curtis? Or what about you and Reed McClintock getting together for a Northwest coin workshop here. That would be cool. Just a thought...
Mitch, sounds like a plan. We just swiped Steve Dobson for the 3G convention, and it's about time we returned the favor. I'll have to talk to our globe-hopping friend Reed and see when he'll be in town.

Thanks for the kind words about The Pockebook, too. If you've got any notes to add, you know where to find me.
I have just ordered this after chatting to Craig Petty. He is raving about to anyone that will listen. When Crig recommends a coin related item - I have to listen

Russell Leeds
This just in from the team of Marketing Sharks living in the 50,000 gallon observation tank high atop the T. Nelson Downs Building in beautiful CoinMagic Plaza:

Concerned Citizens of Cointopia beware: on October 28, 2008, Lulu.com will be raising the production costs on all books. This means that after that date, The Pocketbook will cost you MORE. Of course, it will still be worth it, but let's face it, you'll be happier if you just go right now to Lulu.com and purchase one copy of "The Pocketbook" for everyone you really care about.

Brought to you by The People Who Care About You(tm) the nonprofit branch of People Who Really Care About Profits, Inc.
Pocketbook is a wonderful little booklet. You can just read it again and again and still find something valuable information! Good job Curtis!
This review just in, luckily someone here at CoinMagic Plaza was sober enough to stagger in after the annual New Year's party and copy it off the telepropmpter, so that it can be posted here:

In a recent sad attempt to find a review for this book other than the one printed on the product page for this book, I figured it needed to be done immedietly, so here I am at 12:30 AM, on my computer, writing this review. Curtis did a fantastic job on this book so lets give it up for "The Pocketbook: Coin gaffes and common cents".

What is "The Pocketbook?", you may ask. "The Pocketbook" is a book written by the one and only, Curtis Kam the magnificent amazing incredibly talented awesome coin magician. Yea, all those things. In an attempt to write the future leading book on coin magic, Curtis has not only succeeded in a landslide compared to other books on coin conjuring, but he has also set the expectation level much higher for anybody performing with coins as well as increased entertainment value for all of those people's audiences by reading this book.

The quality of this book is just unbelievably. If you wanted a good book to keep you busy for a few hours, this is the one to get. Although it is only 83 pages long, this is the pocket sized reference book for anybody even remotely interested in money. that's right. Money. If you have ever done a coin trick and do not own this book, you are missing out on one fine piece of work here. It is perfectly bound in a nice "Hip pocket Mullica wallet" sized book than is destined to travel anywhere with everybody. Consider it (I'm sorry baby, I didn't mean to refer to you as "it") a security blanket for magicians. Just imagine that sense of security when in a bar or restaurant situation where you have a few coins on you and you forgot your favorite technique to opening a flipper, or the proper handwashing techniques and ideas. Pshaw, just flip open the book and your set!

Even if you are just starting off in coin magic (or magic, for that matter) this book will help you on a large scale. It is not only the future bible of coin magic, but also an incredible reference book/guide as well as notebook and handbook for coin magicians. If you are just starting, I highly recommend buying this and J.B Bobo's "Modern Coin Magic" at the same time. If you sat down and read this book at the same time (Good luck at THAT!), you can get much more bang for your buck.

Whether you are a beginner in coin magic, a well seasoned coin mechanic, or even just to support the author, this book will come as a simple pleasure. I am astonished that Curtis would just give this up that easily on a silver platter to the magic community. C'mon man, make us beg for it! I feel much more secure now after reading this book with my magic. I have only been with coins for a good 6 months or so and I feel like I have learned 6 months of good material in 3 days of reading. I look forward to many years of constant referring until the last stitch of binding holding this book together finally breaks and it falls apart and then, oh boy! I get to buy another one to use for many more years.

I can say with every ounce of dignity and manhood in my body, I think I felt a tear drip down my face when I read the last words of this book. On the other side, many of the coin magi who don't buy this book will feel the slow, painful burn of a heckler in a crowd of 40 on the street during their "perfect" hanging coins routine. No routine is perfect until this book is read and understood for there is no greater pleasure in life than to have all this great material presented in such a direct, simple to read book for only $24.95 at lulu.com. Most of the best information is the most expensive but it pays in the end. Just look at Nathan Kranzo's "The Gig". This book is here for us at our disposal for reference and advice. Just imagine sitting on Curtis' lap and listening to him telling you everything there is to know about coin magic. Yea, that's what is in this book. That whole experience.

So there is absolutely nothing left to say other than a big warm thank you to Curtis. The perfect book. The perfect experience. Thank you.

-Mark Tirone
Fellow Seekers of the Light and Truth of the Coin, an important announcement, I think, from the "What does this really mean?" department here at CoinMagic Plaza:

[b]The Pocketbook is now available at Amazon.com![/b]

Yay! Does this mean more people will find it and be saved the years of pointless sacrifice stumbling around in Coin magic without the guidebook? Um, don't know. Does this mean that the greatest little book on coin magic (maybe the only little book on coin magic?) will now be available on your Kindle reader? Gee, I hope so.

Anyways, there's a bit of confused partying scheduled to take place tonight, on the roof of the T. Nelson Downs building here at CoinMagic Central. Drop by if you're in the area.
Here's the link if you're interested:
http://www.amazon.com/Pocketbook-Curtis-Kam/dp/B00262SHT6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1244756535&sr=8-1
Preview looks great.
Another one for my wish list!
[quote]
On 2009-06-11 17:43, magicman4646 wrote:
Here's the link if you're interested:
http://www.amazon.com/Pocketbook-Curtis-Kam/dp/B00262SHT6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1244756535&sr=8-1
[/quote]

There's also a link on that page to request the book be put on Kindle.

Best,
What do you guys think about the Kindle thing? Especially since the reader is bigger than The Pocketbook.
Hey Curtis,

I bought a paper back copy of your "The Pocketbook" and I am very pleased with the knowledge I gleaned from you.

You know, you don't even have to have a bulky Kindle. Some cell phones,like the iPhone can now view .pdf files on the screen. I guess it would be an e-book..lol.

I would still be willing to buy another copy to place on my cell phone.

Best wishes,
Looks like there's a Kindle app for the Iphone. I would buy a digital copy to carry the information with me wherever I go.
Hi Curtis
Just stumbled on to your pocket book. I have to say this is great!! I have it on my ipad and iphone and have read it a couple times already. If there is one book I would carry with me it would be yours.
Thanks again
Jim
Bummer, it appears this is no longer on amazon and onlyon ibooks. And I just bought a Kindle