(Close Window)
Topic: How's your feet?
How's your feet?
Do you take care of them?
Of course! They're my sole support!
Do you wear good shoes, sox?

do you do anything extra to take care of them?
Foot massage when I can.
Terrible. I've been on stilts all day. They smell and hurt.

I sometimes pour talc in my socks and I wear slippers in the house. That's about it.

George
I have a vibrating foot bath. Nothing like watching TV, sipping on an adult beverage, all while tootsies are soaking in the vibrating foot bath after a long day on a trade show floor!

Lyndel
I stand about 10-12 hours a day... moreso somedays!
I am a glasswalker. My feet make me money. I worry about my feet almost obsessively.
The soles are hard, calloused and in some places deeply scarred from jumping into broken glass. Not something that occurs regularly mind you, about one in every 20 shows. When it does happen...Ugh. Terrible.
I have a first aid kit dedicated to foot care.I have more knives, pins and pliers solely dedicated to the removal of glass splinters than anyone you will ever meet. It also has a tube of super glue, so that after pulling out a shard, I can glue the wound closed and get right back up for the next show.

I have footbaths, salts, lotions, salves,scrubs, files...and an actual dremel tool. Yes...my feet are actually that hardened on the soles.
All just for my feet.
Then there is the care that goes into the hardening of the feet themselves. It is simple.
I go barefoot everywhere I can. Gravel roads, hot asphalt, burning beach sand, hikes in the woods, and even sometimes snow (Yes...snow. It is the worst).
All of this beats the crud out of your feet, then you spend hours trying to make them look normal again.
So yes...I spend a lot of time taking care of my feet. They aren't pretty, but they are healthy.
I do not recommend what I do to anyone.
Gwyd
[quote]
On 2008-03-24 15:28, gsidhe wrote:
It also has a tube of super glue, so that after pulling out a shard, I can glue the wound closed and get right back up for the next show.
I do not recommend what I do to anyone.
Gwyd
[/quote]

OK, forget Chuck Norris... gsidhe is a bad a**!!!!!!! Total props to you dude!

Lyndel
How are my feet? They hurt. My right one collapsed and I had a heel spur and plantesomething or other. Both feet are 4E in width with a very high arch, unfortunately when I was in the service I had no choice but to wear boots that were narrow with a normal arch. This resulted in stress fractures that still bother me and the roots of my nails were twisted and damaged and some day soon I'll have to have all my nails ripped off. They hurt at times to the point where I look forward do their removal. I wear orthopedics which really help, have to do streatching excersizes five times a day, have to wear special shoes that have support and high arch (new balance baby!), and on bad days need a cane to walk. Other than that they are adorable.
Message: Posted by: Josh the Superfluous (Mar 24, 2008 09:35PM)
Besides the occasional quality prop, good shoes are the only thing I spend money on for myself. Although my toenails were atrociously long a couple days ago. Jell-o anyone?
Having lived in Hawaii for a short time I learned to take proper care of my feet.
I do need to get some clippers though and quit the bad habit of biting my toenails.
Iven :patty:
Let me second what Josh says. Avoid places like Payless Shoes, pay for good shoes and they are well worth it. My crappy shoes helped lead to my foot collapsing and it hurt and still often hurts. Good thing I'm man enough to take it.
I take care of my feet. I walk a lot in the city but on the pavement, not glass...lol I wear good shoes and sox too, I also get a pedicure every couple months. If you've never gotten one, you owe it to yourself to try. Usually I go to a good place and spend around $55.00 for a complete spa special. They do the whole clip job and they sand down the souls and rub all kinds of herbal lotions on your feet and calves. It's great. Just the massage alone is excellent, totally rejuvenates your energy.

Other than massages, I also like reflexology. It's more like massage without the herbal stuff or the clipping. Reflexology concentrates on pressure points on the souls of your feet. When they work on a certain spot it stimulates organs in your body. It's more therapeutic but just as excellent as a pedicure.

I highly recommend trying both.

As for Gwyd...I don't know what to say??? [i]Amazing...unbelievable...speechless[/i], etc.

day25
Isn't magic great - with it's many varied lovers of the art that run the gamut of people that walk barefoot on glass and glue their wounds shut to guys that get pedicures and herbal lotions slathered on their feet at the spa? :rotf:

...Nothing wrong with either, but you won't catch me doing one or the other!

Lyndel
[quote]
On 2008-03-25 12:54, Lyndel wrote:

...Nothing wrong with either, but you won't catch me doing one or the other!

Lyndel
[/quote]

You gotta have an open mind, Lyndel. Think about it for a minute. besides the fact that a "cure" is good for your feet, you gotta see the big picture. Most of the time, if not all, you are the ONLY guy in the place. You are surrounded by women, some very good looking. :wink:

When I walk in and ask for a pedicure, the woman will say okay, what color? (I guess that's the norm for women, since they get their toes painted?) So, I say "something bright", you got fushia? It makes the other women turn and give you a look. I find [i]that[/i] amusing.

Of course you don't have to get a cure, try reflexology first.

It's very soothing.
Fine
No
Poor Justin....little does he know one accident, one mis step, a bite from a spider, and his feet could be gone. Life is wicked!
Fine. I get a pedicure every month and use lotion every morning and evening. Did anyone know that you don't actually really need to wash your feet with soap? Unless they are really dirty of course, but in normal everyday life just taking a shower is enough. Soap just makes them dry.

I am a male nurse and took a course in college about foot care, so that's why I am so passionate about taking care of mine. But makes me feel better as well :)

Gwyd mentions gravel roads...on a nice summer day, walking on a gravel road barefoot is very relaxing, its like a massage!

Day 26
[quote]
On 2008-03-24 23:53, MagicSanta wrote:
Let me second what Josh says. Avoid places like Payless Shoes, pay for good shoes and they are well worth it. My crappy shoes helped lead to my foot collapsing and it hurt and still often hurts. Good thing I'm man enough to take it.
[/quote]

Payless Shoes have done me just fine. My wife says if I buy crappy Wal*Mart sneakers again, she will disown me!
And remember, just because shoes are expensive dosen't mean they are [i]good[/i].
You can find good quality shoes at PayLess or even Wallmart. You can buy shoes from Kenneth Cole that cost $800.00 and kill your feet.

It's ALL about support!
Reflexology is for your body though not for your feet If I am right? Isn't it the basis that all the body is connected through pressure points in your hands and feet. I once had a quick demonstration of it by an old friend of the family. Very interesting.
Yes, true. They massage certain parts of your feet to stimulate organs in your body. It's great.
I haven't been able to see my feet in years, I just assumed they didn't exist anymore.
That reminds me of one of my favorite old jokes, where one guy is standing next to a fat guy at a urinal and asks, "when's the last time you saw it?"

And the fat guy admits it had been a while.

And the other guy asks, "well, why don't you diet?"

And the fat guy says: "Why? What color is it now?"

(Once I had a love and it was a gas
Soon turned out had a heart of glass
Seemed like the real thing, only to find
Mucho mistrust, love's gone behind....

Just singing while typing....)
My favorite shoes are limey made Clarks.
I like the Clark brand, they make a good shoe at a reasonable price. Good choice, Santa.
Hi Justin,
always a pleasure friend. Feet??? many of neglect them. especially the ladies. A no no in high heels. Feet as you know I'm sure have a path, a gateway to your well being
(anatomy) it's a sort of map for the internal organs. It is actually better to be barefoot walking to stimulate the organs. But who does this,only the natives do. The list goes on.
[quote]
On 2008-03-31 05:47, donrodrigo wrote:
It is actually better to be barefoot walking to stimulate the organs. But who does this,only the natives do. The list goes on.
[/quote]

There's at least one person here I know of...lol!
My feet are perfect! See?
Can't argue with that...lol
Lol Thanks
Are there any others?
My feet?

That's none of your *** business
Business...is for suckers!
My foot is currently broken and it sucks. If I don't want to be confined to this chair then I have to jump up on those crutches which pretty much put stress on every part of the body (except the broken foot of course).

-JoeJoe
Good luck, I hope you heel well soon, JoeJoe...
I, too, am a bit of a heel but I have a nice sole. ;)
Just don't let people walk all over you!
[quote]
On 2008-04-11 21:57, PaulPacific wrote:
Are there any others?
[/quote]

Yessiree :D

<----

LOL
Walking barefoot is great but you gotta watch your step.
Paul...
Your feet look soft and pretty. I doubt your perpetual barefootedness!
I officially challenge you to a bare-foot off.

Hot coals at 10 paces.
Actually...Hot coals FOR 10 paces.
Slowest time wins.
Gwyd
Good shoes are the key here, or at least quality insoles. I have sold shoes, and all the money is in the upper leather and the bottom rubber, with no money in the insole (what provides support). superfeet or atrex are good brands. ecco, clarks, and mephisto are great brands. but mephisto start at about 200 and go to 600...

kevin
Yep, good insoles make a [i]huge[/i] difference. I wasnt very happy as a kid when mom made me wear good sturdy shoes for school as everyone else was wearing trendy sneakers, but I sure thank her now! Here (in Finland that is) a term "sneaker generation" is often used, referring to kids who have worn those trendy sneaks all their life. Being a male nurse, I often see kids and teens with a severe malposition of the ankles-from wearing the wrong type of shoes. And that means trouble later in life. I hope the sneaks were worth it...
[quote]
On 2008-04-15 00:35, kcg5 wrote:
superfeet or atrex are good brands. ecco, clarks, and mephisto are great brands. but mephisto start at about 200 and go to 600...

kevin
[/quote]

I have Ecco, Clarks and Mephistos. But I have not heard of the Atrex or Superfeet. I am curious about the Superfeet, where can I find out more info?
How's plantars facietis in both feet sound, and heel spurs in the left. And I do walkaround entertainment. HELP! My podiatrist is a quack, too. Kinda creepy guy who really seems to like touching feet with his clammy hands. Ewww.

Steve
I remove the skin from my feet with pliers.
I stick needdles in them and hide my lockpicks there... just for fun
Looks like you are from my camp Xargos.
Feet are tools, and you need tools to take care of tools.

Manly feet are the best feet.
Gwyd
[quote]
On 2008-04-15 00:08, gsidhe wrote:
Paul...
Your feet look soft and pretty. I doubt your perpetual barefootedness!
I officially challenge you to a bare-foot off.

Hot coals at 10 paces.
Actually...Hot coals FOR 10 paces.
Slowest time wins.
Gwyd
[/quote]

LOL It's a deal! Bring it on! I'll uh..... walk all over you!
Walking over me is cheating! I would insulate you from the coals!!

;)

So...if I pass through Toronto this summer, we'll have a barbeque, spill the coals on the ground and have a stroll? We just need to make sure that we do the cooking first. Cooking over foot coals is not very appetizing.

Gwyd, the evil version of barefoot boy
Lol Deal! LMAO ;)
I don't do anything super special for my feet. Lotion sometimes. Use a pumice stone every once in a while.

But I HATE when someone touches my feet.
What sign are you?
"Slow" Why?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Pisces, anyways...
One of my feet is alright, the other is all left.

Best,
DF
Lol Don!

:dance:
If you want good advice on taking care of your feet talk to a dancer. Between dancing barefoot (in modern) and the abuse dancing in toe shoes causes, they have to know how to take care of their feet. I've seen so many girls get their toe nails removed due to bruising underneath the nail and then tape them up to go right back up on their toes. *cringes* I luckily never had to have any of my nails removed.

Finding shoes that fit properly is a simple key to long term care. If you have children, make sure you get their feet properly fitted for shoes. So many parents do not think of this and it could be the differece between healthy and deformed feet.

Oh and I let Gwyd borrow my foot bath when he needs a good soak. It bubbles and vibrates. A great gift my mum got me when I was dancing every day of the week.
But the whole using power tools is something just he does. My feet would bleed if I did that.

Last bit before I go, has anyone used the PedEgg? (as seen on TV) Looks like a cheese grater for feet. I'm curious how effective it is.
I'm getting PMs about my feet

:thumbsup:
My mom got a PedEgg. She tried it and got nowhere.

That's when the boy here (Me) offered to help here. It worked WONDERS. She has bad callouses on her feet and this helped SO much.

Mine aren't bad, but have some build up on the heel, I used it and it did virtualy nothing. Myabe it depends on the severity. Cuz hers were bad, I mean, painful cracks formed. But using the PedEgg is helping a LOT.
I don't think they are available here in Canada.

:thumbsdown:
You don't have the internet in Canada?
http://www.pedegg.com
Everything is available everywhere...for a price.
Gwyd
If you ever get that fungus that grows under the toenails, use Vicks Vapor rub. Put it all over your toes and between them too, don't stop there go ahead and rub it over your feet. Then put a pair of socks on and go to sleep. Do it every night for a week, every thing should be back to normal and your feet will be as soft as a baby's.
I had that fungus, it was gross and my nails were disgusting. I thought it was "just the way is?". I tried all the remedies, nothing worked. On a visit to the doctor on an unrelated reason, the Dr. noticed my nails; he said that the fungus was emanating from inside my body. He prescribed something for me to take but I can't remember the name. I had to take it for a few months and he had to do two blood tests to check my liver??? He told me it would take about eleven months for my feet to return to normal.

The eleven months passed and low and behold, my feet were about as perfect as can be! My toes were all clear, shiny and fresh. The Athletes feet cleared up and my feet are now smooth and (sorry to say this out loud) soft.

If your nails start to become funky, see your doctor.

Ever since then, I have always taken care of my feet.

Good luck!
I have always taken care of my feet 'cause they are my fav. part of me. Also, because I am almost always barefoot, I naturally care for my feet more than most to protect them from harm, dirt and those dreaded fungi which you talk about.
Guys I have small feet. and you know what they say about that...

Small shoes.
*** **!!! [b]I just stubbed my toe on the coffee table!![/b] GrrRrRRrrrr!!!
[quote]
On 2008-03-24 15:28, gsidhe wrote:
It also has a tube of super glue, so that after pulling out a shard, I can glue the wound closed and get right back up for the next show.
[/quote]

I know it's been a while since this was said, but I wanted to comment on how well it actually works.

When teaching me Ninjutsu, my teacher told me that I should always have a full bottle of superglue in my car, at work, at home, in my SERE bag, and I should have one on my person if possible. I asked why and he told me that 'blood takes several minutes to clot, whereas superglue dries in a few seconds. If you want to finish the fight and live to see another day, you need to close wounds immediately.'

It's a great quick fix till you can get proper meds, and a great way to avoid having bandaids on your hands if you're doing close-up.

Now onto the subject of feet. . .
As much as I despise the marketing campaign, I'm Gellin'. The massaging gel insoles are awesome when you need to be on your feet all day.
Super glue on a wound?! ah....... not for me.
Since the thread has jogged my memory, my grandmother's doctor prescribed using superglue when her hands get cracked and start to bleed a bit. She had a serious problem with dry skin, and her's could just split - super glue was the recommended cure.
[quote]
On 2008-05-19 02:00, PaulPacific wrote:
Super glue on a wound?! ah....... not for me.
[/quote]

No Kidding. Super Glue was used as a military medical glue to close wounds on the battlefield in Vietnam. I know several people who have used it. A friend split his thumb open during a cruise ship gig and superglued it shut. There is not even a scar now.

Best,

Tim
...but isn't the stuff in super glue like CRAZY TOXIC?!!
Sure, if you eat it.
[quote]
On 2008-05-19 02:53, Timothy Drake wrote:
A friend split his thumb open during a cruise ship gig and superglued it shut. There is not even a scar now.
[/quote]
Awesome isn't it!
People who knew me while I was growing up are always surprised by how few scars I have. It's thanks to superglue (I like to tell them that it's a "ninja thing" and they just wouldn't understand).

Funny story: When we started weapons training, my teacher and I both got minor cuts regularly. I always thought it was wierd that he simply passed his sword over a wound and it just didn't bleed. I asked him to teach me how to do it (assuming that it was some kind of A-Class technique). He told me that he'd be long since dead before I could master it.
After he died, he left me the sword. Upon close examination, I found syringe like device embedded in the handle. He had included instructions on how to fill the syringe with superglue and how to dispense it. He left me some other cool stuff, but that sword is probably my favorite piece.
[quote]
On 2008-03-26 11:53, Rupert Bair wrote:
Reflexology is for your body though not for your feet If I am right? Isn't it the basis that all the body is connected through pressure points in your hands and feet. I once had a quick demonstration of it by an old friend of the family. Very interesting.
[/quote]

Reflexology is based on the idea that different spots on the foot have a corresponding point on the human body. By applying pressure to a spot on the foot, it should have a positive effect on that part of the body. It's been around for about 100 years and is yet to be proven to have any real, lasting effect beyond the placebo effect.

Not that I don't like a good foot rub.

http://www.ncahf.org/articles/o-r/reflexology.html

My feet are very sore at the moment. I roll my feet when I walk and I find that, as I get older, my shins and knees hurt a lot stopping me from jogging. I bought some inserts this morning and they help a lot!
https://www.buykinoki.com/ver3/index.asp?refcode=Kinoki23&did=1308

Ever seen these things?

Adhesive foot pads soaked with vinegar. Yeah, that's definitely going to remove parasites from your blood stream.
Dustin - those things are BRILLIANT. I love how they don't do anything in particular just a vague sense of being awesome!
So true, so true.
I can't imagine putting Crazy Glue on my feet!
Even worse...You don't put it on your feet, but inside of a cut.
Works wonders.
Gwyd
So, just for the sake of asking...

What is the damage that the chemical causes when it seeps into your body and blood stream?
Super Glue dries in but a few seconds Justin, it doesn't have enough time to get into your blood stream. Not to mention the fact that your blood is flowing outward from the wound; the glue would need to fight the current to get into your blood stream.
There are some minor risks involved with using off the shelf superglue. It can cause some irritation in some people, and large quantities can generate some heat to the point where they will burn skin. Also, superglue does some really strange things when applied to cotton- It will smoke and potentially burst into flames.
If you are curious about using it, but are concerned about the risks assosciated with a non FDA approved substance get Band Aid brand liquid bandage.
It is basically a slightly varied super glue formula and works just fine.

http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/msuperglue.html
Gwyd
AFter showering every morning I use my hair dryer to dry my feet and between toes. My Dr. Suggested it.
Thanks Dusty and Gwyd!

Next time I get cut, I'm gonna try some. I'll even get some of the Band Aid brand. Good tip, thanks guys!
Here's some convenient timing for you. Yesterday, I took my neighbor to the emergency room after she sliced her thumb open. I had put some glue on it to keep the wound closed till we got to the hospital. The ER was empty so we got in pretty fast. The nurse asked her what was wrong (there was a towel over her hand) and she told her about cutting her thumb.

She removed the towel and the nurse said, "Oh, did the doctor come see you already? It looks like he already glued it closed. . ." I told her that I did it before we came. She said, "Oh. Are you a doctor?" I told her I wasn't and that my martial arts teacher told me about the glue trick. She said, "Great! It's nice to see it used outside of the ER." She told my neighbor that she'd have a doctor stitch it up if she wanted, but it wouldn't be any better than it already was, "Put some duct tape on it to make sure it stays all the way closed and you'll be fine."

I didn't even know they used it in the ER. Coool. . .
How did we get from talkin' about feet to discussing glue?
I'm getting over an ingrown toenail. Treatment I found on line working very well - soak in warm water a few times a day, and roll up & flatten out a small "string" from a cotton ball, and pull it between the nail & toe, just a little at first, and a little more as you're able to. Keep it there as you go about your day. Pretty quick relief - had it back to normal in a couple of days.
[quote]
On 2008-05-26 16:38, LobowolfXXX wrote:
I'm getting over an ingrown toenail. Treatment I found on line working very well - soak in warm water a few times a day, and roll up & flatten out a small "string" from a cotton ball, and pull it between the nail & toe, just a little at first, and a little more as you're able to. Keep it there as you go about your day. Pretty quick relief - had it back to normal in a couple of days.
[/quote]

Ever get a pedicure?
Never have...I have awfully ticklish feet. I'd hate to kick someone in the face.
Try it. You'll thank me afterward. Nothing fancy, just a regular pedicure. And don't let her talk you into any polish. Just get your feet taken care of.

Good luck
If you consistently take care of your feet, a pedicure is unnecessary really.
How are my feet? They are really fine. I had a surgical procedure for my heel spur 5 or 6 years ago. My toenails however - that's a completely different story....
[quote]
On 2008-06-05 18:56, lbean58 wrote:
How are my feet?

My toenails however - that's a completely different story....
[/quote]

They [b]Can[/b] fix that! No matter how bad or long gone you think they might be, the Dr. can give you something that will clear it all up. Not only that but your athletes feet will clear up, as well. Ask your Doctor, good luck!
I LOVE Pedicures and I'm not afraid to say it. Along with manicures, waxing my eyebrows, and spending the day at the spa.
Remember when Doug Henning performed "The Vanishing Feet Illusion"? I believe the trick was invented by Andre Kole..