(Close Window)
Topic: Tux shirt
I want to look professional. I have a bow tie which I will wear with a 2 piece suit. Should I only wear a bowtie with a tuxedo shirt? or is it fine with a regular collared black shirt.
A bow tie can be worn with a regular suit and dress shirt, or even a sports coat.
Alright thanks. Now I wont feel like a blithering idiot wearing the "wrong" type shirt.
I have almost completely gone to bow ties. I wear them with everything. Please, if you are planing on wearing a bow tie, learn to tie one! Then get a high quality self-tie bow tie. http://www.Beautiesltd.com is a great place to get ties from.

Usually, you only wear a black bow tie with a tux (which means a tux shirt as well), but I have worn one with a black shirt (not wing tip collared) when I wanted to look rather serious. This is not something I would do on a regular basis, but it was what I needed at the time and worked well (have also worn a silver tie with a black shirt which looked very professional). May I ask what colour your tie is?

Danton
I once did a close-up strolling gig and one of the guests angrily told me that his father always told him not to trust a man wearing a bowtie... I thought he was joking at first but then he then turned and stormed away before I even did my first effect! Needless to say, I was a bit stunned as were the other people standing around who, after we all recovered, I performed for them as usual. You meet all kinds in this business!

BTW, the rest of the night, I surveyed each group that I was about to approach from a distance just to make sure that "bowtie phobia man" wasn't standing among the group... Weird huh?

Lyndel
HAHA!!!! LOL!!Lyndel that's hilarious. My bowtie is a pretied $100 dollar bill design. I really like it. Sorry if you are a self-tie "purist" Dalton lol. I think its great for money magic routines.
Attached is a stock photo of the exact tie I bought.
Big Pimpin!
Exactly the words I said when I saw it, Christopher! Thanks :)
Haha..Well, when you can, tie it yourself. Self tied bow ties look better (IMHO), and give you a feeling of pride in knowing that you tied it yourself.

Although, I doubt you could find one like that sweet $100 dollar bill one as a self tie, so I have no problem with it. As I believe I said before (if I didn't I'll say it now), I have a silver pre-tied bow tie that I have worn with a black shirt that looked super cool (see my photo to the left). Since I haven't found one like it that was self tie, I bite the bullet and wear the pre tied one. =P

It would be cool if you could think up a money effect that you used the tie for. haha..

BTW, where did you find that one?

Danton
I bought it at a store at the Mall of America (living in minnesota rocks) called Ralph Marlin. They are a tie store. I bought two more bowties today. Im thinking I want to "switch over" to bowties. Oh and btw sorry about misspelling your name in a previous post. Ill post a pic of me performing next week wearing the whole 9 yards. :) see ya Danton.
Hey no problem...I have people misspell my real name all the time, so when people misspell my alias it doesn't bother me. =]

More power to you on making the "switch"! Looking forward to seeing a picture.

Danton

Month 2, Day 6
Yeppers Ill post a pic about next week for my avatar of me doing my ring routine.
Alright well When I try to use it as my avatar the picture gets broken as a red x so Ill just post it here. Im thinking about using this when I get a more professional website which I am working on right now.
This is my publicity photo :) If you want to see it in full size go to my site its on there.
[url=http://img236.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ebay14002copyum4.jpg][img]http://img236.imageshack.us/img236/9216/ebay14002copyum4.th.jpg[/img][/url]
Please disregard the attached image because it is a broken link
Very nice! That bow tie really does the trick. (pun intended)

The image might be to big for an avatar, you might want to look and see. If so, making it smaller will allow you to use it.

Danton
I did resize it to under 100 pixels square but The image gets broken. Did you view it on the site? I have a close up on the home page
I did indeed view it on the site. Looked good.

You might try PMing someone like Steve, who might be able to help you.

Danton
Im going to ask in tech help.
That would be place to ask!

Good luck.
Yep I got it working now :) good pic if I say so myself.
Well, I'll say that I think it's more appropriate then your old one.

Nice to see the tie worked out for you, now you know how to wear that bow tie. ;-)

Danton
Yeah thanks Danton!
Message: Posted by: themagiciansapprentice (May 23, 2008 01:20AM)
I found most people prefered me to wear a bow-tie.

But one friend wanted me to tie my own and wear a tux shirt. Unfortunately, we can't get them here. When I'm back in the UK I'm buying them from http://www.tiewarehouse.co.uk/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=card&sort=2a&&page=1

I've seen other magicians wearing magically themed ties / bowties and want to try the effect.
Well, I'm sure you know my opinion by now, if possible, do learn to tie one yourself. I think self tied ties give off a feeling you can't get with a pre-tied.

I'm lucky that there is a store rather close to home that sells some very nice bowties, so whenever I'm in town I take a look to see if there are any that I like, and if there are I usually go ahead and buy it. =)

Have fun trying out the bowtie look!
I would agree that self-tied almost always looks better, however the couture brand Band of Outsiders has some very high end clip-on ones that look excellent. These are available through Barney's: http://www.barneyscoop.com

I personally have a Zegna self-tie with a subtle black-on-black paisley print as well as a vintage burgundy Charvet.

One thing I would caution when wearing a bow-tie is to avoid a black suit or one runs the risk of looking far too formal. One night I wore my black suit and a bow-tie to my restaurant gig and had to deal with (well-deserved) jokes about how I looked like I was going to a funeral.
Hmm I have 4 bowties now. I started picking them up once in a while when I get the chance.
My gosh, I wear a jacket with sequins, and the tie I wear also has sequins as well, but, umm, err, ahh, it's attatched to an elastic string the goes around my coller. I know it's only a matter of time before I'm asked to leave the Café...
Bob.
Don't fret Bob, I wear a sequined tie, too. Mine is black for most shows. I change it for holidays (Red for Valentines, Green for St. Pat's, Blue for 4th of July, etc.). Of course, I work for little kids, so it helps to be flashy to keep them focused on the stage. Works for me, anyway !

Mark Pettey
Naples, FL (waiting for another hurricane to cruise by)
Where are you buying your sequined ties?
Hey, nothing wrong with sequined ties, I would interested to know where you are getting them also. Good sequined items can be hard to find, if you get ones that are too cheap the sequins fall off too easily. Then it's just a cheap looking tie!

Danton
[quote]
On 2008-10-05 16:45, The Great Danton wrote:
Hey, nothing wrong with sequined ties, I would interested to know where you are getting them also.

Danton
[/quote]

I beg to differ.

Sequins are a horribly outdated clothing embellishment that look gaudy and tasteless at best. I would rank them slightly below the bunny/playing card tie in terms of class.

there are many ways to dress flashily ad boldly without resorting to a clothing item that was a joke in it's heyday.

Look not just to Blaine, Derren Brown or the mainstream famous magicians, look to the magicians who are well respected in the culture. None of them are wearing sequins.

Unless you are a comedy performer there is no excuse.
[quote] Unless you are a comedy performer there is no excuse. [/quote]

In which case there is no excuse, and it's fine! =P