(Close Window)
Topic: Flying
So here is a question?

Apart from DC who performs flying (any videos).

Have you seen them performs live?, [b]who is the best, etc., etc.?

Thanks,

BP
In Europe I know of Peter Marvey, Erix Logan, Franklin, Phillipart and Anja. I have seen the first two live on more than one occasion and the others on video.
I am sure there are others too.
Rick Thomas does a sort of flying with his assistant. Here is the link of the performance:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=peT23KcD6ws

BYUDAD
At one point, Rick Thomas used (I believe) the same rigging as DC to levitate his assistant. It was very nice. Now he does a double levitation where she floats high above the stage and he [b]very[/b] quickly rises vertically to pass a hoop over her body.
Yes, the double levitation is very nice, however, it does work on a different principle altogether.
Peter Marvey ...
... is flying over the audience
... is flying with dolphins
... is changing his clothes during his flying.

All infos and photos of his flying:
http://www.marvey.eu/marvey_magie_flying.html

Videos of his flying:
http://www.marvey.eu/marvey_video_5low.html
Peter also "flew" with a Cinderalla type carriage led by horses.

The dolphins are not a regular feature, but a special from Japanese tv.

The flying over the audience was done quite some time ago.

Peter is always changing and developing his systems.
Any videos on Franklin or Phillipart and Anja?

Thanks.
[quote]
On 2008-04-25 16:48, BYUDAD wrote:
Rick Thomas does a sort of flying with his assistant. Here is the link of the performance.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=peT23KcD6ws

BYUDAD
[/quote]

I have a lot of respect for Rick. I really like his stuff....but this one does nothing for me. It just looks too much like what it is. Just my .02
To me nothing beats or compares to DC's flying . . . in terms of presentation, connection with audience, theme, pace, showmanship . . list goes on.. to me best piece of magic I've ever ever seen! this was the one performance that inspired me to start magic, and it keeps inspiring me to keep at it!
Blackstone's floating lightbulb over the audience is just as amazing to me...
[quote]
On 2008-04-25 14:50, bp wrote:
So here is a question?

Have you seen them performs live?, [b]who is the best, etc., etc.?

Thanks,

BP
[/quote]

Well, "Flying", exactly as performed by DC isn't performed by anyone else. Nor should it be.
[quote]
[/quote]

Here's a guy that performs flying: http://tinyurl.com/6kf4dm

Lyndel
Message: Posted by: The Mirror Images (Apr 26, 2008 08:26PM)
Cool video. Thanks for sharing.

Michael
Do Phillipart and Anja have a web site????
As far as I know Philipart doesn't have his flying anymore.
Their website is: http://www.philippart.com/main.html
You can see a couple of seconds of them performing flying in this Youtube clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82itDrIbfFg
Gr, EVI
[quote]
On 2008-04-26 19:56, Lyndel wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]

Here's a guy that performs flying: http://tinyurl.com/6kf4dm

Lyndel
[/quote]

Haha, I worked on that film and had to "make him fly" (wire removal, cg cape, cg water, etc.) Wish I could do the same for myself in front of a live audience.
Message: Posted by: Marshall Thornside (Apr 30, 2008 02:47PM)
I've always like peter pan's flying the best.
Especially in high school productions.
Ya, Peter seems to be very creative and his show looks realy cool! Looks like he brings in a lot of original twists. Would like to see it live!
A wonderful and new flying presentation with a great ending from the German magician Franklin:
http://media.putfile.com/Flying-Illusion
Gitty, I was looking for that video for the longest!!! THANX!! I am afraid to guess how much that rig Franklin is using cost!!! LOL. Very Well Done!
Whats the Splash Ultimate levitation like? Any videos ? ? Never seen it work.

Is it like the Brett Daniels Lev? Seen the Twins (www.thetwins.co.uk) perform the illusion and it was COOL!!!!!
Here is the Splashes levi performed by Ryan Joyce:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEGvnKqIXX8
WOW! I just saw Franklin's flying and I am super impressed. Mainly I am impressed with his overall creativity and routining for the illusion. Nice ideas here that I have not seen done before. The idea of walking up and sitting on a silk is really beautiful magic and something different.

I also loved the vanish at the end and the usage of pyro to show a magical travel through space. Cyril used a silk flying through space to show a travel of this sort as well. Great ideas here that really open up and expand the mind to new ideas. Exploring how things can be done differently to create something fresh and new.

Thank you for posting this. I just really appreciate magicians and illusionists who are willing to work hard and think creatively and who look past the obvious solution for something different.

Kyle
The Pendragons did a very short 'flying' levitation on British TV years ago and it's the only time I've seen it done where the flyer (Charlotte in this case) hasn't rotated about their centre of gravity. Avoiding this I thought added hugely to the mystery of the effect.

It seemed such an obvious stragegy to adopt. As soon as the flyer pivots about their centre of gravity it's hard for an audience member with even half a brain not to instantly leap to a 3 or 4 word explaination of the effect that is as good as spot on.

Copperfield's routine was a great bit of theatre and enjoyble to watch and he certainly had some nice 'proving' moments incorported into it to keep the mystery viable. But any Brits brought up on panto would have been hard pressed to get a picture of Bonnie Langford as Peter Pan out of their heads even with the proving aspects of the routine.

With versions of this type of flying rig being used 'unhidden' in a grat many shows all round the world I would have thought performers have to be very careful in presenting this type of illusion.

Neal
Man oh man, I loved Franklins flying. Anyone know if hestill does it? I heard he is doing more stand up comedy now days.
Franklin's flying was good, although I have seen Joe Lebaro use the fan & cloth idea some years back, wonder who came up with it...?
Several years ago Jonathan showed a sneak peak of his before it was seen on television. Jonathan & Charlotte are some of the greatest innovators we have, but I remember thinking it looks like she's hanging. They did have some very nice proving moves on it however.

Sean
I remember Erix Logan performing Flying at Blackpool Magic Convention 1998 or around then. Not fantastic, but certainly good. Not heard anything about the guy for years now.

Mark
Erix was with us here just back in April although he did not perform the flying in the show (I was doing William Kennedy's Double Air Time) he has done the Gaughan Flying for television here in Turkey (the same as performed in Blackpool). Erix is working through the summer every day in Italy with his lovely assistant Sara Maya who sings at the same time.
Lee

Thanks for the update. Good to hear Erix is still out there performing. I'm a fan of his scissor effects. Very unique style.

Mark
Old thread but apropos to my question.

Other than Guaghan, who owns the rights and/or design rights to flying?

Iím aware of most all the performing magicians/illusionists mentioned on this thread...but looking for proper builders.

Note: Iím not interested in flying, rather applying the principles to other effects.

Thanks in advance.
John Gaughan owns the rights to the exact method David uses that has been named "Flying" but that being said, there are an unlimited number of ways to levitate/fly performers. I make my living flying performers around the world. The secret is just how invisible do the lines need to be? That is a combination of 4 elements.

1) The size of the lines.
2) The distance of the audience to the lines.
3) The lighting.
4) The background.

These are all interrelated and each one affects the other 3.

The second set of options involve how many axis of movement do you require. I do a straight lift for some simple aerial work. I use a 2 axis rig (track) for most theatrical productions of Peter Pan, Mary Poppins, Fiddler, etc. A third axis is typically rotation and the 4th is travelling up and downstage which is VERY rare just due to the constraints of most proscenium theaters.

I used an entirely different principle for levitating a character in the Mortal Kombat LIVE tour as she needed to be suspended in a beam of light which would have exposed any lines.

There are thousands of ways to fly someone. Unfortunately a huge amount of safety is involved as being inverted and landing on your neck from even 4 feet off the ground could be deadly.

For flying props, the safety margins needn't be as great. Have fun playing!!
Of course not the kind of flying that's asked here. But this is a video of "Dancing on Ice" (Foy Flying System).

https://youtu.be/Xj6CeXmqA-o

I think this performance is very magical and very beautiful to watch.
Alex, That's a great example of what I do theatrically and is exactly what we're talking about, the only difference is in the visibility of the lines. The rest is the same. This is an example of what I was describing earlier as a single point lift. All of the other actions are based on movements around that single point.
Thanks, Ray. I appreciate the insight and perhaps Iíll IM you for some more info.

Maybe Iíll rephrase my specific question...

If Guaghan is responsible for the DC version, who is responsible (designer/builder) for others that have emerged (Rick Thomas, Peter Marvey, Willi Auerbach)?

Are those others licensed versions? Are they derivative works?

To be clear: I want to do the ethical thing and reach out to those that invented/own the concepts and then start those conversations. It seems like the lineage is very clear for most all other illusions. I hesitate to go into the exact method(s) here but I hope you get where Iím going.

Feel free to correct me or move this to the private forums.

Thanks again.
Iím pretty sure the Rick Thomas version is Gaughn version.... Iím guessing the box is his design as well?

Only other version Iíve seen live (other than Copperfield and Rick Thomas) is Criss Angel. Iím guessing thatís Gaughís illusion with some things added by criss.

Loving this discussion.

Theatre wise... the flying carpet for Disneys Alladin on Broadway is quite impressive as well.
Ah, thanks Thomas. Forgot about Criss A. Havenít seen any version of his Vegas shows.

I did some research on the Flying Carpet (Aladdin Broadway/West End/Tour). Itís derivative but a new arrangement. Not going to say more than that. Maybe forums downstairs or PM.

Any other (modern) examples?

Also loving this discussion.
The Aladdin Carpet was a Jim Steinmeyer design based on an older effect. It was fabricated by Tait Towers and like David's "Flying" takes up a massive amount of space above the stage. There was a lot the LD had to give up to get the carpet effect.
...And they patented it.
Thanks Ray! I knew Steinmeyer did the magic pieces of Disneyís Broadway shows but I didnít know the Carpet was his invention. Very cool.
I believe it was Steinmeyer's concept (he is credited as the designer), but Tait patented the actual mechanical technique/fabrication method. Thinking that Steinmeyer probably should have been on the patent, thoughts?
Yeah, I would say that Jim had the idea, Tait made it work.
The current Disney rig is a beast. From what I hear, The TAIT version is large and heavy enough it impedes being able to use various venues causing the production to rethink the hardware & effect so it can go in anywhere. The Chriss Angel rig is definitely a more technological version to the Johnny Gaughan version, although similar in principle. Cool stuff.
Ryan, thanks for the insight. I saw Aladdin in Chicago. Orchestra section, good seats. The effect was awesome but the tourís lighting design at finale/curtain call was not kind to the method. For the actual musical number in the show, it was perfectly lit and choreographed. I wonder if the rig is the same for the National tour vs. the Ďpermanentí show in NYC.

For the Criss Angel version: did he/his team work with Guaghan? If not, Who was the builder?
In this trailer by Peter Marvey you can see a short excerpt of his Flying. With 360 degree rotation :-) (1:28)

https://youtu.be/UkLT3AQRhzE
Fungineer,
I've only seen the one rig. I'm unsure of the builder for the Angel versions. But it looked high tech & shiny.
Iím not sure if itís the rig or the performers but the Copperfield and Rick Thomas presentations (Iím assuming Thomas is Gaughn) are way smoother than Criss. Although Criss had some cool and unique things. I mean that ladder... very clever! Probably the most complicated ladder ever built!

I did see the Rick Thomas rig flash once... that always made me sad.
Chriss's flying box is really interesting mechanically as well.