(Close Window)
Topic: My romance with mousetraps continues...
I'm going for it...
This Saturday night I am going to slip some tongue to as many mousetraps as I can for one full minute in order to set the initial world record for "The most mousetraps snapped on the tongue in one minute".
I'll be attempting this at the Super Happy Funtime Burlesque show in Grand Rapids MI at around 8 pm.
I am expecting to do at least 30, the most 50.
Then I am so going out for ice cream.
I have wanted to have a world record in something since I was a kid. I'm very excited about this.
Wish me luck...
Gwyd
(And I should have some video up by the end of the weekend! This is going to be a little strange, but I am doing the whole thing as a Mr. Rogers parody to keep with the "Childrens Show" theme of the rest of the night. Sylver will be in the video as well playing with her bullwhip! What fun!)
A little strange? Nah. Couldn't be.

Have a great time!
I would say enjoy yourself! but I still have not got up to "giving a mopuse trap some tounge" as you put it! Hey that's going to get the kids asking ther parents some questiong tonight! :)

SO "have fun" if you can do so doing this. Let us know how you get on - just tryadn stop you! :)
Gwyd,

Good Luck - I've pmed you the Australian variation of sticking your tongue in a mouse catcher.

Destiny
[quote]
On 2008-05-02 11:57, plasticdestiny wrote:
Gwyd,

Good Luck - I've pmed you the Australian variation of sticking your tongue in a mouse catcher.

Destiny
[/quote]

Australians not known for inteligence (except on chossing beer - OK its gross stereotype)

The info was sent on a PM ..... I'm thikning OW!!! and crossing my legs.

Agree with the good luck bit though!
I know folks who do the act you are thinking of Dave...I am NOT going there. If someone wants to set a record for that, it is all theirs.
Besides you can't catch a mouse with what you are thinking.
They use kitties.
Gwyd
[quote]
On 2008-05-02 14:10, gsidhe wrote:
I know folks who do the act you are thinking of Dave...I am NOT going there. If someone wants to set a record for that, it is all theirs.
[/quote]
wouldnt do it once let alone as many times as I could in a minute!

hey just if you did do that .... you are going for ice cream after your attemt.What would you do after doing the "unmebtionable" as many times as you could in one min?

[quote]
On 2008-05-02 14:10, gsidhe wrote:
Besides you can't catch a mouse with what you are thinking.
They use kitties.
[/quote]

NOt putting it in a Kitty either! not the feline type - sharp teeth and claws :eek:
Find a really frigid girl?
One more reason why I won't do that particular trick.
G
Good luck.

Don't break your teeth or slice your tongue.

Brett.
Lord aw mighty I have some f*d up friends...
Proud to be one of them Doug!

Thanks Brett! I haven't screwed this act up yet, now would not be a good time to start!
I owe it all to you (And your incessant prodding and cajoling)!
Gwyd
[quote]
On 2008-05-02 14:51, Doug Higley wrote:
Lord aw mighty I have some f*d up friends...
[/quote]

nope I can't see hwy it was sensored! Laws of the english language - the star has GOT TO BE A VOWEL ....

we can have

Fad
Fed
Fid
Fod
fud
fyd (y can soemtimes be a vowel!)

did you mean Fed up friends? like fed up with being so far away we cant get to see Gwyd do his hting?

Oh BTW I too am happy to eb considered one of your fed up freinds! :) if you'll have me? I assume you were reffereing to me about the fed up bit (i guess it could be fed up as in frustrated ;)

Dave "the fed up"
Dave...you really need some sleep.
Post what the record is when you break/set it because Im going to break it just for fun. Just kidding. Have a great time creating your dream.

ATG
You're welcome Gwyd. Really, good luck, and don't screw up.

Brett.
[quote]
On 2008-05-02 16:37, Doug Higley wrote:
Dave...you really need some sleep.
[/quote]

oh I think it will take more than that!
How was the ice cream?

oh and how did you do with the mouse traps as well?
The sthunth ith completh. I thurvived. Thungue hurth.
Seriously...Not sure of the exact count yet,(We had some timing issues and need to go to the tape to see which ones counted)
I didn't do as many as I could have because of some fumbling and traps going off when I picked them up, and some of the rules set slowed down things a little, but it is somewhere around 20 or one trap every three seconds.
When I got off stage, I could no longer speak well due to swelling and the tip of my tongue was bruised black. It only took about an hour for that to go down. Today, my tongue is a little raw buit functioning perfectly.
I never hit my teeth, but snapped one on my finger and three on my upper lip and tongue. My lip is in worse shape than my tongue and is a bit swollen .
All in all, it was a fun act. Sylver did great with her bullwhip, the audience received it all very well and I loved the reactions.
I won't be doing another attempt of this magnitude for a while though.
It kinda hurt.
Video soon!
;-)
Gwyd of the Iron TOngue
Doug, has anyone ever told you that you really have some f*d up friends. . .
He really did a good job, but his tongue was so black right after the stunt! By the end of the night it was a better looking purple.
My poor tough guy, he didn't even complain afterwards, just gave a little smirk. I'm very proud of him. As soon as we can view the video we will know for sure how many and in what time.
I meant to say Congratulations, Gwyd. . .

I'm wondering if Christopher Guest ("This is Spinal Tap," "A Mighty Wind," "Best In Show")ever considered doing a film based on sideshow folks. I picture his regular company of actors: Eugene Levy, Parker Posey, Catherine O'Hara, Fred Willard, etc., portraying a traveling troupe of performers traveling through the heartland of America for one last season.
Right now Gwyd, I'm picturing you sounding like Vince Vieluf, in Rat Race.

(For those not familiar with the movie, check [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeHrARnPfOs&feature=related]here[/url]; start around minute 1:40)

Good on ya'. Can't wait to see the video.
Congratulations, and hooray for no broken teeth!

Brett.
[quote]
On 2008-05-04 23:23, CJRichard wrote:

I'm wondering if Christopher Guest ("This is Spinal Tap," "A Mighty Wind," "Best In Show")ever considered doing a film based on sideshow folks. I picture his regular company of actors: Eugene Levy, Parker Posey, Catherine O'Hara, Fred Willard, etc., portraying a traveling troupe of performers traveling through the heartland of America for one last season.
[/quote]
I love all of these "Mock-umentary" films. Great writing, great casts... Also cannot forget, "Waiting for Guffman". Another Christopher Guest classic.
However, the common theme in these movies is they take these mundane worlds (rock bands, dog shows, folk music, community theater) and then add in these eccentric and eclectic characters to mix to make them funny and engaging. However, with the sideshow world, the eccentric and eclectic characters already exist. In other words the writers and actors would have a very hard time trying to make these characters more eclectic and more eccentric than they already are. It would not be a "mock"umentary as much as it would end up a real documentary. Can you imagine what it would be like? I mean to take some of these folks and actually exaggerate their personalities? Wow. I always wonder what world he will choose to take on in his next project. Whatever he chooses, you know it will be funny and entertaining thru his eyes.
AL aka Steve
Yeah! What he said! Why write comedy, when there's reality?
Congrats on the traps. And I'm sure that I will not challenge your record anytime soon. I do mousetrap and foxtrap as little as possible and only when I have a show, so that isn't too often...I guess I need more gigs ;)

Actually I have a show on May 9th at an art gallery that host musicians and theater folks occasionally. So I'm excited. It will be interesting to see will pay to see the show and how they react, since it is in a artsy, college town (Bloomsburg, PA).

And "Waiting for Guffman" is a great movie. To see those guys do sideshow would be interesting. I can just picture Fred Willard presenting "Spidora" with Eugene Levy since the girl that was supposed to do it got sick. Too funny.

Michael
Professor Ackult
http://www.simplyhomebrew.com/sideshow
"Only if I meet a person who is morally, spiritually and physically perfect will I ever hang my head in shame" - Jeanie Tomaini
[quote]
On 2008-05-05 09:23, Michael K wrote:

And "Waiting for Guffman" is a great movie. To see those guys do sideshow would be interesting. I can just picture Fred Willard presenting "Spidora" with Eugene Levy since the girl that was supposed to do it got sick. Too funny.

[/quote]

:)
That's exactly the kind of thing I mean. Fred Willard would certainly have to be the talker.
[quote]
On 2008-05-05 08:53, fettucinibrother wrote:
[quote]
On 2008-05-04 23:23, CJRichard wrote:

[/quote]
I love all of these "Mock-umentary" films. Great writing, great casts... Also cannot forget, "Waiting for Guffman". Another Christopher Guest classic.
However, the common theme in these movies is they take these mundane worlds (rock bands, dog shows, folk music, community theater) and then add in these eccentric and eclectic characters to mix to make them funny and engaging. However, with the sideshow world, the eccentric and eclectic characters already exist. In other words the writers and actors would have a very hard time trying to make these characters more eclectic and more eccentric than they already are. It would not be a "mock"umentary as much as it would end up a real documentary. Can you imagine what it would be like? I mean to take some of these folks and actually exaggerate their personalities? Wow. I always wonder what world he will choose to take on in his next project. Whatever he chooses, you know it will be funny and entertaining thru his eyes.
AL aka Steve
[/quote]

may be someone could rwite it so that its a really dull film ..... you know fire eaters sitting round eating flaming meatball sandwiches, fat lady drinking slim fast, the girl in fish tank ....erm whats mundane here........ erm she could be erm..... putting on her powder.?

But yes I don't htink they could do a good poof film of teh side show world for all the reasons you gave
It would take some of us, to do it.
I'm in.
Lets do it.
Gwyd
Hmmm. We're all sick puppies. Once a year, many of us get together. With a rough outline of a script, and everybody bringing a video camera, we could surely do something very interesting. Gee, some of us (well, me) live nearby the SSG, and could have a house available.
Ill bring a fish tank and powder...
I've got the video camera, the llama and the marmalade. . .
I'm definitely in, as long as Reggie doesn't forget the busy bee.
Ok...The video is finally up! Remember...only 19 counted.
Have a look.
I hate myself on video...
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ynUqo9vER4k
Gwyd
Nice one GWYD!!!!

Love it
That was great....awesome!

Aidan
Terrific job!
Love the show - and the record making was impressive too.

Destiny
That was wonderful presentation, especially for a record attempt--most people would've just stated they were going to set a record and done the bit.

Bravo!
Very funny! Snappy presentation, obviously not whipped together, and wonderfully caught on tape.
You are my new hero!

Josh
BTW Gwyd,

Maybe we could all chip in and buy your lady a nicer vase.

Destiny
*blushes*
Thanks all!
And Sylver likes that old vase just fine thank you!! (I do love her whip work!! It was my favourite part of the act...and the least painful)
Gwyd
Zombie Thread!
I'm new and playing with the search function. I came across this thread and am wondering if Gwyd's record still stands?
Nope! :)
It was beaten by Sweet Pepper Klopek out of Toronto in November 2009. He wound up bleeding nicely at 27 mousetraps.
I am going to let it stand for a while.
Dang (my other "d" word didn't pass censors). After talking to you at the Gathering, then seeing this (old as it may be) I was hoping. Oh well.
Hmm, a thought. Any interest in trying for a group record at the next Gathering? Either way, if/when you do go for the new one, good luck.