(Close Window)
Topic: Best routine in print for Twisting the Aces?
Was curious what in-print routine you all think is the best for TTA?
The original found in: Dai Vernon's "More Inner Secrets of Card Magic" by Lewis Ganson. Other good variants are found in "Jennings '67" ’65 Twist (p. 226) & in "The Classic Magic Of Larry Jennings", Twist’ In II (p. 198).
Cardamagically,
Dom.
:) :bwink:
Dai Vernon's original method is very solid and hard to beat. Nothing fancy but pure magic to the spectators. So I agree with KRZ4kardz on that one.
Personally Hollingsworth's Waving The Aces, or the Asher Twist (for one or two people),

but because of being virtually angle-proof, I do the original most frequently.
My all-time favorite old stand by is Twisting the Spades. The Ace, Two, Three, and Four of spades turn one at a time, then the Four changes into a Four of Hearts and I show both sides of the cards. I have original patter about the Four being the "most emotional card".

The problem is...I learned this 25 or 30 years ago from a card guy in a convention session and I am not sure where to find it. I think it may one of a series that Marlo worked out using the Ascanio Spread. He published a few variants in the Linking Ring and possibly in Racherbaumer's Ascanio Spread book.

Not much practical help, but maybe someone will recognize it and point out the source.

Best regards,
Glenn Godsey
I like the original one.. And also the Hollingworth's Waving the Aces..
I also like the orginal handling by dai vernon.He also explain why is it call TTA.
I'm also partial to the original, with my second vote going to Reed's "McClintock Twist."
James Swain has a cool variation in "Don't Blink".

Rudy
Does Roger Smith's "Maxi Twist" count? I really like that one.
[quote]
On 2008-05-07 21:28, Glenn Godsey wrote:
My all-time favorite old stand by is Twisting the Spades. The Ace, Two, Three, and Four of spades turn one at a time, then the Four changes into a Four of Hearts and I show both sides of the cards. I have original patter about the Four being the "most emotional card".

The problem is...I learned this 25 or 30 years ago from a card guy in a convention session and I am not sure where to find it. I think it may one of a series that Marlo worked out using the Ascanio Spread. He published a few variants in the Linking Ring and possibly in Racherbaumer's Ascanio Spread book.

Not much practical help, but maybe someone will recognize it and point out the source.

Best regards,
Glenn Godsey
[/quote]

I think this is Brother Hamman's Second Twist from "The Secrets of Brother John Hamman" By Richard Kaufman
I like Gary Freeds N.F.W.. I don't think it's technically a TTA but it is a similar premise. Granted it's not impromptu but hey it's still a neat variation
Donavon
[quote]
On 2008-05-08 21:32, Leo Reynolds Jr wrote:
[quote]

Best regards,
Glenn Godsey
[/quote]

I think this is Brother Hamman's Second Twist from "The Secrets of Brother John Hamman" By Richard Kaufman
[/quote]

You may be right...it has a very Hammanesque feel to it. But I learned it at least a decade before that book was published in 1989. It seems like maybe I learned it from Ken Garr who may have learned it from Hamman. I saw Brother John perform in Kansas City in 1967.

Best regards,
Glenn Godsey
Twisting the Aces is one of my all time favorites and I must admit that I have yet to see or come up with anything that beats Vernon's original routine.
[quote]
On 2008-05-09 02:27, Tina I wrote:
Twisting the Aces is one of my all time favorites and I must admit that I have yet to see or come up with anything that beats Vernon's original routine.
[/quote]

You could try "Twist In a Glass" by Paul Hallas. In can be found on the "Clever Card Magic' DVD, some early notes of his or the upcoming "Magic From The Overground" book due out from H & R Books later this year.

Glen, why settle for one of the faces changing when all four can change suit? See Sam Schwartz's "Twisting THe Faces" in "Sam's" by Allen Zingg.

Plenty of references to Twisting The Ace effects can be found in the book "Small But Deadly" in the chapter headed "Vernon and the Twist'.

Paul.
I like the original Dai Vernon TTA because it's virtually angle-proof. Asher twist and twisting the Aces are alos good effects. Martin Nash's Omni Twist.
Skinner has a nice version on his videos....
[quote]
On 2008-05-09 09:51, Paul wrote:
[quote]...
Glen, why settle for one of the faces changing when all four can change suit? See Sam Schwartz's "Twisting THe Faces" in "Sam's" by Allen Zingg.

Plenty of references to Twisting The Ace effects can be found in the book "Small But Deadly" in the chapter headed "Vernon and the Twist'.

Paul.
[/quote]

Thanks, Paul. I have done Back Flip for decades, but I am not familiar with "Twisting the Faces". I need to buy "Small, But Deadly". Do you sell it, Paul?

Best regards,
Glenn Godsey
Hi Glen, as it happens, I do, (you can p.m. me for details)but its available from many dealers too. Whilst I discuss many 'twisting' variantions in effects, the methods are not revealed. The other book mentioned fully details the mechanics of Sam's routine.

"Twisto Blanko" previously on the market but detailed in the new Nick Trost book has a packet turning blank at the conclusion of the twisting.

Paul.
Another vote for Vernon....
Vernon without question. . .
Another vote for Dai Vernon
And Dai for me too!
[quote]
On 2008-05-08 19:29, Justin R wrote:
Does Roger Smith's "Maxi Twist" count? I really like that one.
[/quote]

It Should! I am a HUGE fan of Roger's work and that one is a KILLER!
Another vote for Vernon's original.

In my mind, this routine is perfect, there is no better way to achieve the effect than what Vernon came up with. It is completely clean. To a spectator, there are absolutely zero moves.
Where is Vernon's routine in print?
Fred Kaps version, my favourite, easy to do. Yoy can find the explanation in Fred Kaps lecture.

Watch a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIOcugPweoA
[quote]
On 2008-06-18 21:39, Corbett wrote:
Where is Vernon's routine in print?
[/quote]look at the first reply to your original query...the answer is there.
Cardamagically,
Dom.
:) :bwink:
Thanks much Dom.
I still love the original by Dai Vernon's.

Guy Hollingworth's Waving the Aces is also excellent.
Another vote for Dai's. This was the first card trick I wanted to learn when I first became serious about cards because it was just so magical to watch. It has to be one of my favorite tricks of all time.
The most magical looking for sure might be "Asher Twist" by Lee Asher.

R
I'll have to say Dai Vernon's as well (although the Asher Twist is a very close second).

Regards, Steve
With due respect to da Professor, Lee Asher's "Asher Twist" is a really, really nice effect. Very quick and hard hitting.

As a side note, because of the method and angle sensitivity, it's a much better opener than doing later in a show...
[quote]
On 2008-05-09 09:51, Paul wrote:
[quote]
You could try "Twist In a Glass" by Paul Hallas. In can be found on the "Clever Card Magic' DVD, some early notes of his or the upcoming "Magic From The Overground" book due out from H & R Books later this year.
[/quote]
As a follow up to the above, Paul's MAGIC FROM THE OVERGROUND is expected to ship from the printer in Michigan at the end of July.
Jon Racherbaumer's 'Good Turns 2.0' is available to members of his site and well worth reading. 56 pages on Twisting the Aces, starting with a potted history of the effect, then more handlings than you can shake a stick at.

Beginning with Vernon's original, then explaining variations by Marlo, Walker, Forton, Hamman, Castillon, Racherbaumer, Smith, Bannon, England, Jennings, Goldstein, Alford, Duvivier, Cervon, Iglesis, Kane and Walton, suffice it to say it it well worth reading by anyone seriously interested in this plot.

Hallas' essential 'Small But Deadly' deserves to be in the library of every lover of card magic and is the best go-to reference work on this plot as well as (almost) all the others! He will (of course) point you in the direction of the original, but even better, he will also inform you of the best version of any of the many variations you may care to investigate. Easily the most referenced book in my library.

Paul, I'm very much looking forward to this new book too. It seems like it has been a long time coming. I've been sorely tempted to nick the title on several occasions! Congratulations mate, it should be a bestseller. One word of caution, though - make sure when you send it to Genii for review you do so on a month when Mike Close is doing the reviews ;)

Cheers,

Mark Elsdon
Paul Gordon's cardmans twisting the aces is by far the supreme version. It'll even fool magicians. PG is a genius.
Thank You, Andi.

Cardmans Twisting The Aces (PROTEAN CARD MAGIC) is one of my favourites, too. I originally devised it just to fool Alex Elmsley when I met him. It didn't, but he liked my handling a lot.

PG
I like JC Wagner's "Twisted Underground Transposition" from [i]The Commercial Magic of J. C. Wagner[/i].

The kings and aces are separated into two piles. The kings turn face down one at a time, and then magically switch places with the four face down aces.

Michael
I've looked at quite a few and never found one I liked more than the original. It is so elegant and archetypal that I feel any additional climaxes are just "gilding the lily" and taking away from the effect.
Still, I haven't seen all of the routines listed above.
The only one I have learnt is Vernon's original, and it's so good I have no inclination to learn any other variation.
Visual, easy to follow and packs a punch, though I usually let the spec do the last twist to reveal the AOS. I use the line that the AOS is so familiar to me that it won't play along and let them do it, or if it's a lady spectator I say that the AOS only responds to a feminine touch.
Hollingworth's waving the aces
I know a lot but I mostly do the original - it has to be done slowly and with the right presentation. A lot of people do it too fast, and thus don't do the routine justice.
I have to say Brother Hamman's Final twist is extremely magical. And it has 2 if not more kickers at the end!!!
My current favorite is Chris Kenner's Twister. TTA+Reset. The aces turn face up one at a time, then change to jacks one at a time, then all change back to aces. Beautiful.
I have always done Vernon's, mostly because it adds a little visual stuff to my otherwise very mental set of card tricks. Also, I like to do it in tandem with Dr. Daley's Last Trick.

I have had the problem that the patter seems to fall flat most of the time. I'm sure that if Dia was here doing it himself it would be amazing, but for a young guy it just doesn't seem to be working that well for me.

Thoughts?

Edit: Oh and somebody's suggestion on here of "handing them to a lady" to get the spade to come up...wow is that a serious miracle...just try it!
[quote]

Best regards,
Glenn Godsey
[/quote]
Glenn, that effect is in "Secrets of Bro. John Hamman" by R. Kaufman (second variant). The addition of the 4 of spades changing into the 4 of hearts is a nice eyeopener/kicker!

Cardamagically,
Dom.
:) ;)
[quote]
On 2008-05-08 21:32, Leo Reynolds Jr wrote:
[quote]

Best regards,
Glenn Godsey
[/quote]

[/quote]

OOps...sorry for stealing your thunder Leo. I should have read all the replies before responding!!

Cardamagically,
Dom :) ;)
I'll vote for Peter Duffie's "A Twisted Tale" from his ebook "Card Flair".

It's actually a joining of Vernon's TTA and the Hofzinser Card Problem and gives excellent motivation for the aces turning over, the last face down ace being the actual selection.

Well worth checking out.
I prefer Vernon's original, which I usually follow with Vernon's Variant. "Here, you take the Aces. I'll take four indifferent cards. It won't work for me, cause these won't twist, but you'll see how confusing it gets for a magician when the Aces twist on you..."
After I perform Mr. Vernon's original, I go immediately into Scotty York's
'Pineapple Twist'.
Thank you, Mr. York!
Three variations to the Twisting the Aces effect:
1. Hamman Twist (only face of the last card changes)
2. Twisting the Aces by Ichiro Araki (only back of the last card changes)
3. J. Mendoza's Twisting the Aces (both the face and back of the last card changes)
Vernon's original wins for me as it is angle proof, but the given presentation sucks. This effect is also crying out for a kicker ending, as the last Ace turning over is a little unimpressive.

You get a much better reaction if you use the A, 2, 3 and 4 of Spades as the magic is clearer (participants know which card has already turned over).

I have also developed a few variations of TTA over the years, and tried several different kicker endings. I've also toyed with the idea of using a H****r wallet to twist the last card - this floors people as it seems to eliminate the possibility of SOH. I've even got notes somewhere for a version that fuses TTA with Roy Walton's Card Warp!

I'm planning on putting some of these kickers into a book in the near future. Here are some of the effects that I'm thinking about including:

Tribute to Vernon - The A, 2, 3 and 4 are Twisted in the usual fashion. As a finale the backs of the cards change colour and then the 2, 3 and 4 turn into the other 3 Aces.

Ghostless Twist - Same as the above, but involves no false counts!

Trans4mation - The Aces turn into the four Kings, then one of the Kings invisibly jumps from your pocket back into your hand. Finally, a King selected by a participant vanishes from their hand and appears your pocket!

WFN - After twisting, the 4 Aces turn into 4 Jokers.

Finally, Sean Fields has an excellent version called InconTWISTant in his "Bootlegs and B-sides" notes that I perform when I want a change from TTA. Here's a link to a YouTube video of the effect:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=dKDOHZJbras

Marty
I like French Twists by Richard Vollmer from Impromptu Packet Tricks by Aldo Colombini. A long routine to remember but worth it.
I like Richard Vollmers work anyone know if he wrote any books?
[quote]
On 2009-01-20 15:18, Leo Reynolds Jr wrote:
I like French Twists by Richard Vollmer from Impromptu Packet Tricks by Aldo Colombini. A long routine to remember but worth it.
I like Richard Vollmers work anyone know if he wrote any books?
[/quote]

Same here. I like the effect because it becomes more magical as the trick progresses.
I really like "Twisting the Night Away" and a variant called "Four Riders of the Apocalypse."
I am going to have to look into French Twists..i like that the trick becomes more magical as it progresses
[quote]
On 2009-01-24 16:48, Conus wrote:
I really like "Twisting the Night Away" and a variant called "Four Riders of the Apocalypse."
[/quote]

Four Riders of the Apocalypse sounds an interesting title, where can that version be found?

Paul.
[quote]Four Riders of the Apocalypse sounds an interesting title, where can that version be found? [/quote]

You can find the routines in a CD-ROM called "The Book That Doesn't Exist, And More!"
Allan Ackeman shows and teaches a variation on Vernon´s in his DVD series, Advanced Card Control. I prefer it, because is the more clean and deceptive. I have done this way since three yeas ago and, after studying many ways, I keep Ackerman´s variation.
Vernon, Stars of Magic.
Don't think it was Stars of Magic, but rather part of the Ganson series of Vernon books now in print by L&L.
Another vote for Dai Vernon.
I do have a filthy, X-rated presentation that uses the 1,2,3 and 4 of hearts (called Twisting the Tarts) but I don't perform it for everyone... :)
Martyjacobs says the Vernon handling lacks a good ending....but I have to disagree. You've just shown all the cards face down. You've done this *** thing three times down and they are watching intently. You do nothing. The SPECTATOR rubs the cards...the spade turns over.
Another vote for Vernon!
I like the original version, but I've always hated the opening sequence that gets everything into position. Let's face it, no one turns cards over end for end (necktie), it fits with the patter, but I never liked it. Then I found a little gem in the book "Counthesaurus" that allows you to show each card one by one from biddle grip and it looks totally clean.
Prototype, I have this book. Could you tell me what the name of the count that you are reffering to is?
It's page 135, method 2 for "Preparing to Twist"
Wow, I just got "Spin Doctor" by John Bannon. It is a truly GREAT Twisting the Aces routine. With this one, all of the cards can be examined at the end and it has a wonderful surprise rainbow climax. Check it out.
[quote]
On 2009-01-28 00:16, pnielan wrote:
Don't think it was Stars of Magic, but rather part of the Ganson series of Vernon books now in print by L&L.
[/quote]

Sorry, I was so quick to say Vernon's original that I didn't stop and think. Thank you.
[quote]
On 2009-01-29 11:14, prototype wrote:
I like the original version, but I've always hated the opening sequence that gets everything into position. Let's face it, no one turns cards over end for end (necktie), it fits with the patter, but I never liked it. Then I found a little gem in the book "Counthesaurus" that allows you to show each card one by one from biddle grip and it looks totally clean.
[/quote]

There is a Twisting the Aces effect by John W. McClure. In this effect the moves for all the four twisted ACE are same making the effect more entertaining.
Does any one perform "One Simple Twist"? It was published in the book "The Cardwright" by L. jennings.
Prototype, thanks for the information.
I am a big fan of Hollingsworth's Waving The Aces. I find it to be visually stunning and the kicker at the end when the kings turn into the aces. Vernon's routine is also wonderful and either way you can't go wrong with either one of these routines.
I would not be so bold or delusional as to call my version "the bset," but I do have a version for sale on my website that plays very well for me. I sell it as a PDF on my site, and it was also on my DVD. I have a YouTube video of it (taken directly from the DVD) here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCuyBy_oNqk
Scott- nice idea and great delivery...
[quote]
On 2009-01-30 07:08, trainwing wrote:
Wow, I just got "Spin Doctor" by John Bannon. It is a truly GREAT Twisting the Aces routine. With this one, all of the cards can be examined at the end and it has a wonderful surprise rainbow climax. Check it out.
[/quote]I recently got Spin Doctor and have to agree that it's a cracking version of TTA but it's not the best trick from the Fractal Card Magic series; that honour goes to Royal Scam.
The effect "Packetrainer" from the book Foucs is a good Twisting the Aces effect
"Twisting the Aces Again" by Sam Dalal from the magazine MANTRA January 1977
[quote]
On 2008-06-19 03:31, Kjellstrom wrote:
Fred Kaps version, my favourite, easy to do. Yoy can find the explanation in Fred Kaps lecture.

[/quote]
I actually needed your video in addition to the written Kapp's routine to make this work. I didn't find the version in the notes a good explanation. I also assume your presentation uses a DB rather than what is suggested in the notes.
[quote]
On 2009-01-29 07:47, El Mystico wrote:
Martyjacobs says the Vernon handling lacks a good ending....but I have to disagree. You've just shown all the cards face down. You've done this *** thing three times down and they are watching intently. You do nothing. The SPECTATOR rubs the cards...the spade turns over.
Another vote for Vernon!
[/quote]

I just think the last twist should be the most impressive; you could argue that the second twist is the most shocking because it is a reversal wrapped up in a transposition.

I agree that involving a spectator in the final twist is a good way to make the last twist more memorable (you could also put the cards in a wallet or envelope to isolate them, thus eliminating the possibility of SOH). However, the very fact that you need to do something like this highlights that the ending is weak. I think it needs changing, even if just on a presentational level.

I'm not suggesting that the orginal is bad, quite the opposite, I just think that TTA is a good example of an effect that is greatly improved by the addition of some kind of LOGICAL kicker ending.

I don't want to hijack this thread, so I shall make another suggestion :D: "Power Trip" by Peter Duffie includes an excellent, very direct twisting phase called "A Crisp Twist" by Mark Tiffney.

Kind regards,

Marty
Another vote for Vernon here.

Im in the middle of moving house so I cant get to my books right now, but the AOA series has a very nice twisting the aces routine, where 3 chosen cards appear between the aces as a climax, although I cant be more specific as to which book because I don't have them right now

MIKE
[quote]
On 2009-03-22 14:26, MagicbyCarlo wrote:
[quote]

[/quote]
I actually needed your video in addition to the written Kapp's routine to make this work. I didn't find the version in the notes a good explanation. I also assume your presentation uses a DB rather than what is suggested in the notes.
[/quote]

I added some "twists" on Fred Kaps routine, plus, I normally ends with a color change of all backs as a killer ending.

Kaps Lecture Book: https://midwestmagic.net/shop/item.asp?itemid=475

FRED KAPS group on Facebook, join: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=32350776606
Do check this one out to. You may like it, and it's only five bucks...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNLZTmV8kR0
Hey all,

I actually like the "twising the aces plus" by Archiro? (I think that is his name). Almost the same as Vernons but the ace of spades has a different coloured back and this is revealed at the end as the kicker. Not sure where to get the instructions for it though.

;-)
[quote]
On 2009-04-03 00:09, nathanernest wrote:
Hey all,

I actually like the "twising the aces plus" by Archiro? (I think that is his name). Almost the same as Vernons but the ace of spades has a different coloured back and this is revealed at the end as the kicker. Not sure where to get the instructions for it though.
;-)
[/quote]

The effect "Twisting the Ace Plus" is from the DVD "Card Master DVD by Ichiro Araki"
John Mendoza also had a version where the back of the last ace changed color, and it changed into a KS. See "Twisting The Aces Again" in "The Book of John".

Quite frankly I don't think the routine has a weak ending without any extra changes. There's a famous quote, "Sell the sizzle, not the steak!"

Points to Note:

Present is as a challenge. Tell them exactly what you are going to do beforehand.

Do it very slowly.

Remind them you have done exactly what you said you would.

My final pose is holding two aces in each hand at either side of my face and pausing for applause after saying:
"And that just uses four aces, two hands and a charming personality!....Well, two out of three anyway".

Of course, not suitable for every condition, but I think the best version of the routine in print or on DVD is my own "Twist In A Glass" to be found in "Magic From The Overground" or the "Clever Card Magic" DVD set.

Many versions with 'extra' endings are discussed in the book "Small But Deadly"

Paul.
Michael, I love the look of your Twisting the Aces effect. I do have one question, is it impromptu or gimmicked. It doesn't matter to me, I'm just curious.
This is a video of my favorite variation called French Twists by Richard Vollmer. As someone mentioned earlier, is kind of a long routine but a good one IMHO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mji6v3Y95MM

The trick can be found in Impromptu Packet Tricks DVD by Aldo Colombini. However I have not been able to find it in a book.
Martin1025, that is a nice variation to TTA. If anyone out there knows where this is published in a book could comment I would greatly appreciate it.
Apart from Vernon's original, I'm surprised nobody mentioned the second best of all- Royal Twist by Larry Jennings.

Fish
I'm partial to Robert E. Neale's version "Fly Sport".

Uses the classic handling, but is a delightful little story that ends with a humorous joke involving 3 samurai who test each others skills by "sporting with flies" - uses club-suit spot cards to represent the flies.

It can be found in his book "Life, Death, and Other Card Tricks".

Cheers.
J.Warrens
[quote]
On 2009-01-29 07:47, El Mystico wrote:
Another vote for Vernon!
[/quote]

Just that I do perform, too. So I vote for VERNON!
Dai Vernon.

Jason Christopher
I really enjoy doing Elmsley's "Hoftwister" Essentially it's twisting the aces with a card revelation at the end.

As follows,

Audience has just selected a card, and the 4 aces are showing and the audience is told, one at a time, each of the 4 aces is going to turn face up, when this happens, it will eliminate that suit and by the end the final ace will hopefully be the same suit as yours.

Gets down to the final card and is turned over to reveal that it is their card.

Very nice
Hoftwister is a superb effect that many seem to pass up...it's one of my favs from "The Collected Works Of Alex Elmsley" Vol. I.

Cardamagically,
Dom. :) ;)
Vernon for sure. Ungimmicked and great.
[quote]

Yep, I like Fred's version too. Nice colour change of the backs to finish.
It's been almost two years since I first asked this question and started this thread. I've since learned the original (Vernon's), and love it. Works for me.
I will tell all why I love this post. It was phrased CORRECTLY. How many times have we seen this: "What is the best (insert effect name here) in print?" or, even WORSE: "What version of (insert effect name here) should I use in my act"? ACK!!!!!!!

Thank you Corbett for phrasing it correctly. You asked us our opinion thus implying what we think works best for each of us, not what we think might work best for you. Also your post shows you DO your homework! :)

I don't really HAVE a favourite. If I am feeling gaffy, I do Vollmer's Hyper-Twist. But, since I rarely feel gaffy these days I use the original or the method used by Dave Campbell in his truly splendiferous routine About Turn.

Ahimsa,
Vlad
Personally I really like the Wayne Houchin version the most from his Art of Magic or in Genii magazing from June (I think) last year.
Josh
Rogers, Mike: Card Cavalcade © by Jerry Mentzer; extremely clean, progressive and deliberate version with color changing backs thanks to an extra card with a contrasting back. The ending can be improved by using the Ascanio spread or table counting with a double. It enables to show aces with four different backs at the end of the trick.
Does anyone know if the Ammar version in ETMCM is the Vernon routine? I would think yes, and this is the one I use, but would like to know...

Thanks,

Jim
One of the most impossible looking versions, without the cards changing to others or the colour of their backs , has to be "Twist In A Glass" to be found in the book "Magic From The Overground" or the "Clever Card Magic" DVD.

Other than that the only other vesion I've used over the years constantly has been Larry West's.

Paul.
Here is an updated (incomplete because they all are) biblio/videography on the Twisting The Aces effect: in my notes the book titles are in blue italics and the DVD or video titles in red italics but I could not transfer this in our beloved Café, sorry:

Acer, David: Natural Selections II ©1999 Camirand Academy of Magic Inc, p 48 Twisting the Acers: Four face up Aces turn face down one at a time, then all four turn face up. Includes he Buckle Count; Siva Count (Jack Avis); Modified Buckle Count; and the Annemann/Christ Alignment Move

Ackerman, Allan: Allan Ackerman’s Advanced Card Control Series #7 DVD False Counts: Twisting & The Aces.Twisting the Aces Lybrary.com download video. This is the very visual effect developed by Dai Vernon using the Elmsley Count. The aces one by one turn face-up while the four aces are merely shown and counted. For the climax the black aces change place with the red aces while they are resting in the spectators’ hand & Twisting the Aces Video download © Lybrary.com, tis is the original Dai Vernon routine usefully isolated by Lybrary.com from Allan Ackerman’s Advanced Card Control Series #7 DVD False Counts

Alfonso: Apocalypse 10 N°12 © Dec 1987 by Harry Lorayne, p 1433: A New Twist: impromptu Twisting effect with any four of a kind

Altman, Jeff: Best of Friends - Volume Three ©2007 Harry Lorayne Inc, p 166 Twisting The Aces Tribute

Ammar, Michael: Easy to Master Card Miracles Vol 2 DVD; Twisting the Aces

Araki, Ichiro: Ichiro Araki is The Master DVD: Twisting the aces.

Asher, Lee: 1993 Lecture notes: The Asher Twist & The Pass (1994) by Gary Ouellet, page 109 & Well Done 2000 VHS. & Essay by Jon Racherbaumer: Simultaneity, Turning Up Turns and Twisting in the Wind, January 1st 2002 & Asher Twist DVD & Revue Magicus 2001 p. 30: Asher Twist Again. Lee Asher’s principle revised by Dominique Duvivier.

Baioni, Andrea., Apocalypse, Vol. 15, N° 7 ©July 1992 by Harry Lorayne, p 2094 Torn and Quartered: Very original torn and restored card with a twisting of the card pieces

Baker, Carroll: Magic On The Menu DVD Table-hopping/strolling magic including: Not Stirred “twisting the Aces” routine

Bannon, John: Spin Doctor (Marketed Item with DVD) Four red-backed Aces, held face-down, are spun. After each revolution, a different Ace turns face-up. Then the Ace of Spades vanishes - it turns blank - in your spectator's hand, and reappears among the other Aces. Finally, each ace has a different back design and color - four different colored backs and everything can be handed out.

Bebel : Imagik [French magazine] N° 27 April 2000 page 13: “Handling de Bebel”.

Bengel, Robert: Apocalypse Vol 15 No 5 ©May 1992 by Harry Lorayne p 2069 More Twist'n: Twisting the Aces with a selected card appearing between them

Bennett, Keith: Pabular p 353 Twisting the aces revisited or Son of twisting the aces (same as Fred Kaps except for the idea of showing the joker and get out clean)

Bich, Mathieu. Easy Twist. Marketed effect using a special card.

Binarelli, Tony: 1976 Lecture Notes p. 5: Technicolour. After a progressive twist with red backs the backs turn out to be blue backs. As a climax the backs become multicolor.

Bingham, Euan: Cardboard Capers ©2004 Euan Bingham, p 14 Snapping the Aces: Direct Twisting the Aces effect

Burt, Brad: Small Packet Basics With Cards DVD; Segment 7: Vernon's Original Twisting the Aces

Busby, Jeff: Card Cavalcade 3 ©1975 by Jerry Mentzer p 73 Travelling Transmutators:

Cataquet, Harold: Apocalypse Vol 18 No. 11 ©Nov 1995 by Harry Lorayne, p 2576 Maxi-Twist X: a variation of David Stahl's Maxi Twist IX card routine

Crow, Raymonde: The Bird's Eye ©2007 by Raymonde Crow, p 46 PH for a Day: 4 acts - cards melt into the card box, twisting the aces, ambitious card, and a frozen solid deck. Uses Steve Bedwell's "Reboxed" (not described) and Paul Harris' Solid Deception pack

Close, Michael: Worker’s series #5 © 1996 by Michael Close, p 30 Reverse Logic

Cummins, Paul: Apocalypse Vol 9 N°3 ©March 1986 by Harry Lorayne, p. 1181 Overtwist Minor: A Twisting card effect. 4 Queens shown, another card selected. Queen packet is displayed, and one card keeps turning upside down. The Queens are eliminated 1 by 1 until only 1 remains, but it is not the Queen, it is the selection

Dingle, Derek: Epilogue N° 15 © July 1972 p 121 We’ll Twist If You Insist: a version with the backs changing color & The complete works of Derek Dingle © 1982 Kaufman and Greenberg p 54: We’ll Twist If You Insist, an improved version with the same color change. & Arcane [magazine] N° 51 July 1988, page 31 La valse des cœurs. French Translation Jean Yves Prost.

Duffie, Peter: Alternative Card Magic ©1982 by Peter Duffie & Jerry Sadowitz, Martin Breese, p 22 includes a twisting sequence & Card Flair. ©2000 by Peter Duffie, A Twisted Tale: This is a combination of Vernon's 'Twisting the Aces' and the 'Hofzinser Card Problem.' The original version of this appeared in Abacus & Cards in Principle The Suabian Twist: There have been several combinations of Dai Vernon's 'Twisting the Aces' and 'The Hofzinser Ace Problem' over the years. If the following version has any merit, it is the simple means by which the one at a time reversals are accomplished & Card Conspiracy 2 ©2003 by Peter Duffie and Robin Robertson, Morris Publishing, p 121 Twisting the Connected Kings

Dupré, Didier. Arcane [French magazine]] N° 113 January 2004 p. 6: Twist 2004 combines TTA and Sandwich.

Duvivier, Dominique. Twisting the Aces parfait. ©1996 Marketed effect by MMM (Mayette Magie Moderne)

Edwards, Doug: Apocalypse Vol 17 N° 9 ©Sept 1994 by Harry Lorayne p 2403 Reverse Five: Ace to 5S magically reversing with a new twist & Best of Friends - Volume Three ©2007 Harry Lorayne Inc, p 173 Another Twisted Appearance

Elmsley, Alex. The Collected Works of Alex Elmsley ©1991 by Stephen Minch, page 77: Twister’s Flush. A classic TTA using 5 cards ending in a Royal Flush. The ace vanishes after its twist: a very smart variant; Hoftwister is a twisting the aces routine including a card revelation at the end

Fedko, John: School of Magic Volume 7 Card Illusions DVD Twisting the Buckle

Ferrantini, Mirko: Fifth Twist; Apocalypse Vol 7 #6 ©June 1984 by Harry Lorayne, p 934 at the end the last card has traveled into the card case.

Fleshman, Dan: Restaurant Magic Fleshman DVD #1 Appetizers: Maxi Twist Twist & The Very Best, Yet! Commercial Close-Up Magic and Stand-Up Magic ©1990 by Dan Fleshman, p 7 Maxi-Twist Twist: extra twist for Roger Smith's Maxi-Twist

Forton, Piet. The New Pentagram ©April 1969 by Peter Warlock, Queenie

Frost, Ron: Apocalypse Vol 7 #6 ©Mch 1979 by Harry Lorayne, p 176: Follow Along mixes an instant twisting of four cards with a color change front and back of the four cards

Giobbi, Roberto. Grosse Kartenschule Vol. 2 © 1992 & Card College 2 © 1996 English translation p 324 The Royal Acrobats: Variation on Vernon's Twisting the Aces where Four Kings turn face down one at a time and, when placed in deck, they turn face up trapping a selection & © 1994 French translation by Richard Vollmer, Cartomagie Moderne Vol 1 Ed. Magix Unlimited page 322: Les Rois Acrobates.

Girard Christian. Arcane [French magazine] N° 112 October 2003 page 31: Les Souverains. Third phase of a 7 pages illustrated routine. Using a sleight created in collaboration with Bébel : the Sisyphe turnover first described in Imagik [another French magazine] N° 27 April 2000 page 12.

Gordon, Paul: Apocalypse Vol 20 No. 11 ©Nov 1997 by Harry Lorayne p 2859 Twister: Four Kings turn face down one at a time then turn into Aces & Protean Card Magic Cardman’s Twisting The Aces

Goldstein, Phil [Maven Max]. Pabular, Vol. 4, N° 11, July 1978 page 597: Back Gammon. Twisting The Aces combined with All Backs using the Ascanio Spread & Pabular Psychia-Twist & Pabular Vol 7 #3 p 1012: Packetrainer is a very direct and convincing Twisting the Aces routine with an entertaining patter.

Griffin, Gerry: Complete Card Magic with Gerry Griffin DVD 3 Advanced: 14 Valuable Mysteries. Twisting the Aces.

Guinn, Scott: Treasure Valley Twist (marketed item) available on http://www.scottfguinn.com/cardmagic.asp A very direct and entertaining presentation of the effect.

Hallas, Paul. Small but Deadly © 2005 by Paul Hallas page 53: Vernon on the Twist and several versions with alternate endings are well coveredby the most knowledgeable world specialist of small packet tricks & Magic From The Overground © 2008 by H&R Books, Texas: Twist In A Glass is Paul’s ultimate work on this effect that he probably knows better than anyone at the time of writing this bibliography & Clever Card Magic DVD set © 2006 includes the video rendition of Twist In A Glass & Still Small, Still Deadly- More Meanderings on Minimalistic magic © 2009 by H & R Books, Texas

Hamman, Brother John: Hierophant N° 7 1975, page 3, The Hamman Twist apparently the effect already existed in1963 & The Secrets of Brother John Hamman by Richard Kaufman, page 34: Brother Hamman’s First Twist; page 38: Brother Hamman’s Second Twist without the extra card.

Harris, Paul: Las Vegas Close-Up ©1978, Published by Chuck Martinez Productions, p 82 Cros Twist by Daniel Cros--One-handed version of Paul's Bizarre Twist, card sandwiched face down between two other cards visibly turns face up; p 107: New Twisted Collectors by J.C. Wagner and Allan Ackerman -A 'moveless' twisting-the-aces is performed, each ace magically turning face-up. For a really stunning finish, the packet is spread to reveal three previously selected cards interlaced face-down among the four face-up aces & Art of Astonishment, Book 1 - Pieces of Strange to Unleash the Moment ©1996 by Paul Harris, A-1 MultiMedia, CA p 101 Bizarre Twist (Intimate Secrets) A Harris Classic: two face down red aces are used to sandwich the ace of spades which is positioned at a right angle (crosswise) to the red aces. The cards are twisted ala Twisting the aces and the spade visibly turns from face down to face up. This is repeated and on the third turn the back visibly changes from blue to red; 189 New Twisted Collectors (Las Vegas Close-Up) J.C.Wagner and Alan Ackerman's hybrid of 'Twisting The Aces' and 'The Collectors; p 197 Cros-Twist (Las Vegas Close-Up) A one-handed version of the Bizarre Twist (page 101).

Hartman, J.K.: Apocalypse Vol 8 No 1 ©Jan 1985 by Harry Lorayne p 1014 Boggle Switch: A holiday theme packet effect combining Marlo's Quick 3 Way and Phil Goldstein's twisting the Aces type "Exitwist" routine

Hierling, Thomas: New Wave Close Up © 1987 p 38: Twisting the Aces combined with Dr Daley’s last trick.

Hollingworth, Guy. Lecture notes 1996 © by Guy Hollingworth page 1: Waving the Aces. Notes on Card Tricks and Other Diversions & French translation by Daniel Rhod in Imagik [French magazine] N° 15 of April 1996, p. 4 Vision royale & Waving the Aces video download isolated by Lybrary.com after having been recorded live at the Convention at the Capital 1998: After "Reformation", this is Guy Hollingworth's most brilliant creation. The aces visibly turn face up while at the fingertips. If you think Twisting the Aces is a strong effect, then Waving the Aces will blow your mind. And it is not at all difficult to perform for an intermediate level card magician & Twisting the Aces ©1999 by Guy Hollingworth, p 4 & Quartet a fake card and ten routines therewith ©1999 by Guy Hollingworth, p 33 Waving the Aces. New variant used for demonstrating the versatility of his gimmick

Houchin, Wayne: Genii magazine June 2009 by Richard Kaufman, Wayne Houchin's handling, which is pretty much the traditional version with a few finesses here and there

James, Wesley: Enchantments © 2004 Stephen Minch Hermetic Press; New Faces of 1234. This is a mix between Derek Dingle We’ll Twist If You Insist and Wilbur Kattner and Roger Smith Maxi Twist. It offers a very nice adaptation of the Atfus move that Wesley calls the Spread Atfus.

Jennings, Larry. The Classic Magic of Larry Jennings ©1986 by Mike Maxwell p 98 A Royal Twist (Christ Twist): Twisting the Aces effect. Each Ten turns face up until fourth, which turns out to be an Ace, then all the cards are shown to provide a Royal Flush; p 122 Twist'In (Underground Elmsley Count): Twisting the Aces for magicians; p 198: Twist’In II (All Fair Show, J.K. Hartman's Clean Up and Reverse): A version of Twisting the Aces for Magicians or knowledgeable laymen with backs changing color twice with A J.K Hartman startling finish & Jennings '67 ©1997 by Richard Kaufman and Company, p 226 Meditations on "Twisting the Aces"The '65 Twist; p 229 The Ouagadougou Twist; p 232 Leaving the Body; p 236 Pineapple Surprise '70; p 237 Small-Packet Handling of the Mechanical Reverse; p 239 Jennings' Double-Lift Getready; p 242 Pineapple Surprise '92 No. 1; p 242 Bro. John Hamman's Two as Four Count; p 246 Pineapple Surprise '92 No. 2; p 251 Pineapple Surprise “au naturel”; p 253 The Misdirective Outjog Switch & Royal Twist Video download © Lybrary.com, The four tens are taken out of the pack and displayed one by one. Repeatedly twisting the pack turns one of the tens face up. At the very end the cards change into a Royalt Flush

Jones, Eric: An Extension of Me DVD ©2010 Ellusionist.com: Eric was born with the Vernon touch and offers an incredibly visual twist that makes anyone of us fall on our back the first time we see it.

Kaps, Fred: Lecture notes ©1972 by Pete Biro, p 2 Twisting The Aces using the Ascanio spread and with the backs changing color at the end. It is possible to get Bicycle cards with different backs by buying an effect called Strangers Gallery. It enables to show aces with four different backs at the end of F’red Kaps’ trick.

Kenner, Chris: Totally Out of Control ©1992 by Kaufman and Company p 106: Twister combines TTA with Bro. J. Hamman’s Underground Transposition

Klause, Roger: Worker’s series #5 © 1996 by Michael Close, p 469, Roger’s Lovely Idea, in the Reverse Logic effect.

Latta, Geoff: Apocalypse 1 # 12 ©Dec 1978 by Harry Lorayne, p 139: Twist Till It Hurts. The aces turn one by one, the four cards being shown to be face down after each card. Then progressively the aces turn one by one (the ace, joined by the two, joined by the three) until there is a problem with the four. The cards which have no problem are discarded, until, finally, the four is turned face up revealing that it changed color. Strong climax & with Robert Walker: Best of Friends ©1982 by Harry Lorayne, L&L Publishing, p 423 "Bass Ackward" Wily Turn

Lopez, Bianca: The Miracle Makers "Some Boulevards to Entertainment" ©1975 J.G. Thompson, Jr.; Magic Unlimited - Lloyd E. Jones; Lee Jacobs Productions, p 10 The MK Turning Aces: A "Twisting the Aces" type routine; Aces turn face up one at a time, then change back colors (8 cards and Thumb Break Count)

Lorayne, Harry: Best of Friends - Volume Three ©2007 Harry Lorayne Inc, p 170 Twisted Appearance

Luka, John: L.I.N.T. - Pocket Stuff for Close-up Magicians ©1997 by L&L Publishing, p 124 Overtwist Transposed (Paul Cummins): A clever combination of the "Twisting the Aces" and the "Hofzinser Problem" ideas & Uncovered - Secrets for the serious magician ©2006 by John Luka Magic, p 52 Twisting Daryl: A variation of Daryl's "Twisted Aces Redivivus" designed to open "The Fun Routine".

McClure, John: the amazing eights Apocalypse 11-15 p 1482 The four cards have four different backs at the end.

Maddison, Walt: Apocalypse Vol 8 N°4 ©April 1985 by Harry Lorayne, p 990 Twist and Show is a packet routine using Walt's Twist and Show sequence& Not Marked Apocalypse 6-10 p 1047 & Apocalypse Vol 9 No 4 ©April 86 by Harry Lorayne p 1189 The Outsider: packet effect using Walt's twist and show

Mertz, Ray: The Magic Menu—The First Five Years (or Years 1 Through 5 as reprinted) ©1990 - 1995 by Jim Sisti, Metempirical Magic, MA, p 58 Mirror Twist: One at a time, four cards in a packet turn face down, then the backs change from red to blue, then to mirror backs

Malone, Bill: On The Loose DVD #2 © 2002; Think, Touch, Turn with a patter that gets him lots of laughs in impersonating the conceited arrogant character that I don't like in Bill's technically excellent magic (this reflects only my personal taste and in no way constitutes a valid blame on Bill's magic) & On The Loose DVD #4, © 2002. Edward Marlo’s Twisting Flush

Marlo, Edward : Card Finesse II ©1992 by Jon Racherbaumer, L&L Publishing, p 29 Count Reverse: the cards are turned over during the counting, applied to twisting effect & F.O.E. 1976 p 124 Count Conjuring & Marlo’s Magazine, Vol. 2 1976 by Ed Marlo p 128 : Complete Revised Routine. In both routines the aces turn face up and their backs change color without using the Elmsley count. Instead Marlo uses his F.O.E. count (Fake Out Elsmley), now called Marfoe or his Bluff Count described page 131. A typical Marlo « me-too ».

Mason, Mark: Real World Magic V2: Twisting the Aces

McClintock, Reed: McClintock Twist DVD; As usual with Reed, the routine is very demonstrative but its look is very clean

Mendoza, John: The book of John © John Mendoza, Twisting The Aces Again is a routine where the back of the last ace not only changes color, but it changes into a KS as well.

Mentzer, Jerry: Packet Tricks ©1982 by Jerry Mentzer p 13 Straight Up With a Twist (Phil Goldstein): A Twisting-The-Aces Effect with another twist; p 39 Twist (Vic Trabucco): An Ace, Two, Three and Four turn face down one at a time, then backs change colors

Miller, Brian: Cards, Coins, Thoughts and Theories part 2 ©2008 by Brian Miller, Lybrary.com, Sudden Aces/The Four Card Game covers a startling "flash" production of four aces followed by a twisting routine with a fun presentational hook

Nash, Martin: Award Winning Card Magic of Martin Nash DVD 5.

Neale, Robert E.: Life, Death, and Other Card Tricks Fly Sport includes a meaningful patter as could be expected from him.

Normansell, Andrew: 100% Commercial DVD Vol 3 Close-Up Magic Twisting Dai Vernon: A contemporary take on the classic "Twisting the Aces" but with an even bigger twist! All of the cards instantly turn face up for the climax! Many convincers and subtleties have been incorporated into this routine that elevates it into the miracle class

Ortiz, Darwin. Strong Magic, © 1994; pages 62. Twisting The Case uses Brother John Hamman’s idea of climaxing with a Royal Flush replacing the aces and including a twist within the card box.

Parker, Jack: Another Bite of the Cherry: Cheetah's Handbook Volume 2 ©2006 by Andi Gladwin, Underground-Collective, p 5 Meester Twister (Jack Parker): a Twisting the Aces with Queens and Jokers, and then Aces!

Pecore, Joe: A Sonata of Magic ©2000 by Joe Pecore, p 31 Let's Do the Twist (Bizarre Twisting of the Aces): Aces turn face up, one Ace changes back color

Pelkey, Francis: Apocalypse 1-5 p 663: Universal Twist

Racherbaumer, Jon. Pastiche magazine N° 1. © 1992: Twisting Deluxe & The Olram File, Vol. 1, N° 12 June 1992 p 11: Precursor to Twisting The Aces underlines the underground circulation of the Elsmley count & Counthesaurus p 135, method 2 for "Preparing to Twist" & Good Turns 2.0 offers 56 pages on Twisting the Aces, starting with a potted history of the effect and with Vernon's original version, then explaining variations by Marlo, Walker, Forton, Hamman, Castillon, Racherbaumer, Smith, Bannon, England, Jennings, Goldstein, Alford, Duvivier, Cervon, Iglesis, Kane and Walton

Rhod, Daniel. Plus Secrets Secrets (in French) © 1994 page 19: Twisting the Jokers. Using the author’s count called “Comptage Intervisuel” explained in the same book, The aces twist and change color using only 4 cards for a Twisting en Technicolor.

Rindfleisch, Joe. Apocalypse Vol 20 No. 11 ©Nov 1997 by Harry Lorayne, p 2864 Process of Elimination: a combination of a twisting the Aces plot and a Hofzinser plot with a couple extras

Rogers, Mike: Card Cavalcade © by Jerry Mentzer; very clean and deliberate with color changing backs thanks to an extra card with a contrasting back. The ending can be improved by using the Ascanio spread. It enables to show aces with four different backs at the end of the trick.

Rollins, Walt : MUM, Vol. 53, N° 7 ©December 1963, p 333 Pineapple Surprise is the effect that Dai Vernon adapted for his Twisting The Aces routine

Sanvert, Jean Jacques: Apocalypse Vol 5 No. 10 ©Nov 1997 by Harry Lorayne, p 687 Another Hofzinser Twist is the combination of Twisting the Aces with an Hofzinser effect & Best of Friends - Volume II ©1985 by Harry Lorayne Inc, p 317 Twisting The Colors is a TTA routine where the ace to four turn over, with the color of the backs changing for a climax & Best of JJ Sanvert - World Champion Magic DVD #2. Twisting Hofzinser : Hofzinser's classic Four-Ace Problem meets Twisting the Aces and the results are truly amazing. J. J. also teaches his utilitarian Retro Count

Simon, Frank: Variations ©1978 by Earl Nelson, (1st Edition, Earl Nelson; revised second edition Mark Wilson Publications 1979) p 9 About Face Aces: An effect based on Phil Goldstein's "Counter Revolution" where Aces and Kings are shown and the Kings are placed into different parts of the deck. A twisting the aces sequence is performed which climaxes with the aces

Smith, Roger & Kattner, Wilbur: Innovative Magic N°2 ©1976 Maxi Twist & ©1976 Maxi Twist II & Bill Malone On The Loose DVD Vol 3 Maxi Twist with Bill’s presentation.

Trixer, Hans: Epoptica Yearbook issue 1982-1989 by Jeff Busby, p 299 H.E.T. - Highly Erratic Twisting

Stahl, David: Don’t Stall, Stahl! Lecture notes © by John Mendoza: Maxi Twist IX. & Arcane [French magazine] N° 34 ©April 1978, p 12. French translation by Jean-François Berger

Tucker, Stephen: Apocalypse Vol 14 No 4 Stephen Tucker Issue ©April 1991 by Harry Lorayne p 1916 On No Account: Twisting the Aces type effect with no Elmsley Counts & Twister DVD A smart gaff to turn the aces face up and switch all the cards at the end. Using Stephen’s principle, the gaff could be altered for the cards to appear as fanned instead of out-jogged but using the same folding principle for the card switch

Vappereau, Damien: Credit Aces (marketed effect). The magician tells a story about a strange poker game he played with his friends. He displays a four-card poker hand of blue-backed cards. The magician`s hand wasn`t so good, so he decided to cheat just a little with a fifth card. With a snap of the fingers, an ace appears face-up in the packet! Tough luck though, because the ace has a red back and doesn`t match the other cards. The first ace is placed on the table and he tries a second time. Another ace appears...but it also has a red back. This ace is placed on the first and he tries one more time. A third ace just as magically appears...but it also has a red back. He places the third ace on the table and decides to try one last time. The magician magically changes the four cards in his hands into a single ace of spades, but it also has a red back. Since he lost the game, the magician now has to pay everyone at the table..but when he turns over the four aces on the table their backs have magically changed to credit cards! Comes complete with special cards on Bicycle stock.

Vernon, Dai. Dai Vernon's More Inner Secrets of Card Magic ©1961 by Lewis Ganson Harry Stanley's Unique Magic Studio: Twisting The Aces; the original version & Hierophant N° 7 ©1975 by Bruce Cervon, p 17: Twisting The Aces. This Walt Rollins’ Pineapple Twist variant by Dai Vernon is the routine, which started it all. Still valuable with its own climax, but later improvements turned out to be real improvements.

Vines, Jimmy: Apocalypse Vol 9 No 1 ©Jan 86 by Harry Lorayne, p 1163 Twist Till Red: an Elmsley count packet routine

Vollmer, Richard: Apocalypse Vol 6 #7 ©July 1983 by Harry Lorayne, p 797 Hyper twist: twisting the Aces with a few added climaxe & Impromptu Packet Tricks DVD © by Aldo Colombini: French Twists by Richard Vollmer is a very nice version where the aces turn face up, first one by one, then two by two before three turn at once. Then finally the aces are placed in the cut deck to prevent any sleight of hand but still all four turn face up in the face down deck

Wagner, J. C.: The Commercial Magic Of J. C. Wagner ©1987 by Mike Maxwell, L&L Publishing, p 10: Twisted Underground Transposition is an effect where the kings and the aces are separated into two piles. The kings turn face down one by one, and then magically trade places with the four face down aces; p 11 Omni Twist Collectors: (Vernon Transfer, J.C. Buckle Displacement, Dan Tong's Pad Spread); p 12 Twisted Collectors II: (Marlos' AFTUS, the Jordan Count) & with Allan Ackerman The Art of Astonishment - Book 1 ©1996 by Paul Harris & Eric Mead, A-1 MultiMedia, p 189 New Twisted Collectors

Walker, Robert. Kabbala, Vol. 2, N° 7 © March 1973 page 50: Pineapple Preserve. A Walt Rollins variant. & Topsy Turvy Torsion Marketed Item ©1976 by Jon Racherbaumer. & Counthesaurus by Jon Racherbaumer page 195 : Hyper-Twist is the same as Topsy Turvy Torsion Version.

Yedid, Meir: Twist and Shout. Marketed Item. Four face down cards are pushed through your fist; they turn face-up and face-down, one at a time. First the Ace, the Two, the Three, the Four of Clubs and then the FIVE! Wait there are only four cards. All four cards are now FIVES! The outstanding part of this routine is that the fives can be handed out for examination. Easy to do and uses only one specially gaffed card. Comes complete with poker-size Bicycle cards and photo-illustrated instructions

York, Scotty: The Silver Fox 3 DVD Vol 2: Hisownself. Twisting the Aces

Posted: Mar 25, 2010 3:19pm
I have already found some additional ones

Bannon, John: Dear Mr Fantasy Card Tricks By John Bannon ©2005 by John Bannon p Two Classics covers Dr Daley’s last trick and Twisting the Aces & Fractal Card Magic DVD Series ©Nov 2008 "Spin Doctor" is a twisting the Aces effect with a number of additional surprises including a rainbow back finish

Dalal, Sam: Mantra [Indian magazine] April 1975 – July 1977: "The Twist" by George Blake and "Twisting the Aces Again" by Sam Dalal are, respectively, reported by Little Egypt Magic as interesting gaffed and non-gaffed versions of "Twisting the Aces."

Posted: Mar 25, 2010 3:25pm
... and the original effect that really started it (without the Elmsley count)

Sands, George: Hugard’s Magic Monthly, Vol. 4, N° 7 ©Dec 1946, p 275 Super Optical Illusion
Go with the original.
Lawrence O, what a listing! Thanks for an enormous amount of information. Your posting has driven me to a number of books and magazines in my collection.
In the magazine Hierophant there is a metion that Twisting the Aces effect started with the effect "Touch Turn" by Ed Marlo. I hope now the effect is called "Touch turn and Think"
Lawrence,
You might want to add "Visible Twist," Mojo, Volume 1, No 3, January 2007. It is my handling of Hollingworth's "Waving the Aces" and refines some of Guy's handling for close up, rather than stand up use.

Wesley James
Do anyone use thre royal mote the big cards in thir kids show
[quote]
On 2010-03-27 09:37, Wesley James wrote:
Lawrence,
You might want to add "Visible Twist," Mojo, Volume 1, No 3, January 2007. It is my handling of Hollingworth's "Waving the Aces" and refines some of Guy's handling for close up, rather than stand up use.

Wesley James
[/quote]

Thank you Wesley, sorry to have missed these references. Naturally I've already completed the list.

I'm rechecking my notes on Triumph at the moment, I would appreciate if you could PM me the references of the work you did on this effect so that when I release a list, we do not find ourselves in the same situation.

[quote]
On 2010-03-26 10:14, swamy wrote:
In the magazine Hierophant there is a metion that Twisting the Aces effect started with the effect "Touch Turn" by Ed Marlo. I hope now the effect is called "Touch turn and Think"
[/quote]

No! the effect started way before Marlo was even born.
Yet another vote for Vernon's original. It's the one I always use and the one I most oftn have the spectators asking 'Let me see those cards'.

:)
[quote]
On 2010-03-27 22:34, Lawrence O wrote:
[quote]
On 2010-03-26 10:14, swamy wrote:
[/quote]

No! the effect started way before Marlo was even born.
[/quote]

Dear Lawrence,

Could please mention its origin?

regards
Swamy
It depends how you want to consider it. The authors of Hierophant were close Marlo followers when not Marlo himself.

It cannot be Marlo as such if you consider the effect as an only four cards counted as four effect for Alex Elmsley wrote about his count to Vernon before releasing it and Vernon invented Twisting the Aces at about the same time when Alex Elmsley released his count.

Now if you consider the effect without the Elmsley count. You have similar effects without the Elmsley count like Pinnaple Twist which pre-date Vernon and Marlo

Finally you can consider that Twisting the aces is just a self reversing card effect reduced down to four cards: then there are many self reversing card effects

I'm not the type to try and replace a dogma or a faith by another one. I like to keep a free spirit and search a little more than just thinking that this or that magician invented something definitive and that he was the first one.

Nothing is created from nothing AND nothing is ever exactly the same. The point is not to be knowledgeable, the point is to not to forget about the great ideas that time and new effects are progressively burying.
Magicians don't need gods, they are in constant need for ideas in order to achieve miracles. Some of these ideas are already there waiting to be dug out. Some have to be created. As a general rule, there is not much to find where everybody is already looking and plundering.
[quote]
On 2010-03-28 19:54, Lawrence O wrote:
It depends how you want to consider it. The authors of Hierophant were close Marlo followers when not Marlo himself.

It cannot be Marlo as such if you consider the effect as an only four cards counted as four effect for Alex Elmsley wrote about his count to Vernon before releasing it and Vernon invented Twisting the Aces at about the same time when Alex Elmsley released his count.

Now if you consider the effect without the Elmsley count. You have similar effects without the Elmsley count like Pinnaple Twist which pre-date Vernon and Marlo

Finally you can consider that Twisting the aces is just a self reversing card effect reduced down to four cards: then there are many self reversing card effects

I'm not the type to try and replace a dogma or a faith by another one. I like to keep a free spirit and search a little more than just thinking that this or that magician invented something definitive and that he was the first one.

Nothing is created from nothing AND nothing is ever exactly the same. The point is not to be knowledgeable, the point is to not to forget about the great ideas that time and new effects are progressively burying.
Magicians don't need gods, they are in constant need for ideas in order to achieve miracles. Some of these ideas are already there waiting to be dug out. Some have to be created. As a general rule, there is not much to find where everybody is already looking and plundering.
[/quote]

Thanks for the information Lawrence.
Nice comments.

swamy
Lawrence-

Consider adding Bill Goodwin's "Twisting the Kings" routine from "Reflections" DVD.
A very nice version I might add!

Michael
The list is quite impressive. So far it looks like I'm the only one that's voting for the chest handling of Asher's twist called McClintock twist. But that's an oversimplified statement.
I still think the original is the best. simple, pure magic. The presentation is the most important part in this routine.
I liked Mike Close's handling on his DVD
One more vote for Vernon. But I like it better with the Darwin Ortiz finale suggested in "Strong Magic".
[quote]
On 2010-04-02 11:39, RogueMD wrote:
Lawrence-

Consider adding Bill Goodwin's "Twisting the Kings" routine from "Reflections" DVD.
A very nice version I might add!

Michael
[/quote]

Naturally I will do it. Thanks for the reference.
I will have to vote for Bill Goodwin's Twisting the Kings..
Bill Goodwin's version is also my favorite. You can see a bit of it here. It starts at 00:35 on the Youtube video-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgZByWOwZy0&feature=player_embedded#
Dai`s version is still best IMHO because regular cards are used. Nothing real fancy but at least it`s impromptu.

For a packet trick I still like "Done With Mirrors". Gives an explanation? of how we do our tricks.

Have fun,
John
I usually use the Dai Vernon handling with my own presentation which totally justifies the opening setup and all the moves within the routine, then finish with the last card turning over within the card box as suggested in Strong Magic by Darwin Ortiz.
I personally like Wayne Houchin. This is probably because that is the first version of twisting the aces that I actually learned.
"I will tell all why I love this post. It was phrased CORRECTLY. How many times have we seen this: "What is the best (insert effect name here) in print?" or, even WORSE: "What version of (insert effect name here) should I use in my act"? ACK!!!!!!"

thank god someone finally made this trenchant point
My favourite of all time is "King thing" by Gary Kurtz
I really enjoy seeing Magicians offer their take on Twisting the Aces. Some very creative versions have come out.

But for me, the Dai Vernon original routine I learned in the 1960's from the Ganson book, is stunning piece of card magic.

I always offer to explain how it works and do Doc Daley's Last trick. It probably makes no sense, but I've got the aces out, so.....
[quote]
On 2013-05-25 02:02, Zombie Magic wrote:
I really enjoy seeing Magicians offer their take on Twisting the Aces. Some very creative versions have come out.

But for me, the Dai Vernon original routine I learned in the 1960's from the Ganson book, is stunning piece of card magic.

I always offer to explain how it works and do Doc Daley's Last trick. It probably makes no sense, but I've got the aces out, so.....
[/quote]

Hah! I do exactly same thing as you do!