(Close Window)
Topic: Criss Angel's/Cyril's "Matrix"-flying illusion is now for public sale
I am sure that everybody have seen Criss Angel's and Cyril's so called Matrix-illusion:
Angel - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oyVrr16NnQ
Cyril - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Tny6ke_Svw

Taiwan Magic is the only magic company in the world who is selling this illusion - called SUPERNATURAL MAN.
Demo - http://www.taiwanmagic.com.tw/en/index.asp

The price is $2.350.
http://www.taiwanmagic.com.tw/en/inside.asp

I think the price is ok (too much for me :-( for such a great illusion.
Pretty cool ....

Is this custom built for the performer, or do you have to construct the gimmick yourself using their instructions?

Jim
Sorry, but on the Taiwan Magic site are no details about the gimmick.
Maybe we can collect our questions and send them our requests?
Is the first part the same as Doug Malloy's "Lean"?

I also notice they have Sean Bogunia's writing pad on the site, Losander's floating table and Puchinger's Cube Zag. Even Andre Kohl's Head Mover...
I like that Double Stabbed Tube Pulling Waist Box.....LOL!
This is an illegal copy of one of Danny Cole's signature routines. Cyril was given permission but no one else has the rights to do it! Let alone sell it! Frickin' unbelievable.
The illusions are rip-offs, they even use photos of Brett Daniels, Rick Thomas and Hans Klok in their advertising! Like Jason mentioned, unbelievable!
This company has full page ads in the major Magic magazines right now.
There is a full-page ad of this company in the April issue of the Magic Magazine.
Cyril is the only person with a permission for this illusion and what's about Criss Angel?
How dare they [b]rip off[/b] a levitation featured worldwide on the movie the Matrix. Someone cry wolf and call Keannu Reeves.

The Lean illusion is public domain. It's an old clown gag.
[quote]
The Lean illusion is public domain, its an old clown gag.
[/quote]

The effect or the method as offered by Doug Malloy?
Lee,

The effect. Doug Malloy offers a unit for sale. His unit might have superior quality, but the effect is an old clown gag/vaudville.

The [b]Matrix[/b] effect was from the movie, but at the same time it is also an old dance move- some of the Cirque performers can do it naturally. Once again an old gag.

G0THIKE
The effect they sell is not the lean, it's Danny's sitting illusion. Which just so happens is versatile enough to do the lean effect, using a different method than Doug Malloys and the Matrix effect. The Matrix illusion "ripoff"is an idiotic comparision since it was done with a green screen and wires, not in real life. Copperfield flies but he didn't steal it from Superman. The question is method, not idea or concept. His original and private method is being sold otherwise known as intellectual property.
Jason,

The Matrix illusion in the movie was filmed most likely with a harness on the actor, attached with wires to a cross bar. It's a standard fly.

A harness is not an ORIGINAL idea, maybe its design can fall into that category.

G0THIKE
Gothike,

The Matrix is fiction, a movie, for crying out loud. It is not performable in the real world, for a live audience, surroundable. The extra features on the dvd explain how they did it with wires and a green screen, no harness. You should understand if I build a working spaceship I didn't steal it from Star Trek. I spent the time, energy, and money to build it and make it real. That is what Danny did. You should respect the rights of a fellow performer, apparently that is beyond some people's capabilities. It doesn't matter if the gimmick is a harness or not, it is his design, his gimmick, and no one elses to take.
Jason,

I do respect people's capabilities. I give credit when credit is due.

Do me a favor and type "Matrix Levitation" on Youtube. A lot of videos of people performing the effect. I used to do it myself as a joke several years ago when I use to frequent Goth clubs and when I sometimes wore a trench coat. I even have video of myself bending my back and saying "Ahh, NEO" to one of my volunteers who was wearing a trench coat and shades, that was about 4 years ago.

The fact is that some ideas were already thought up by someone else. I wish I invented the "Clapper", I would be rich. Someone else did, I bet someone else had the same idea but did not get it to market. I think my idea of the 5-day underwear will not be a popular seller.

I have no association with that Taiwan shop. But I can bet that their harness is a different design than Danny's. Such as Gossamer's harness is different than
other broom suspension gimmicks. Yet they accomplish the same effect.

G0THIKE
Gothike,

I think you miss my point.

I am not saying the "matrix illusion" is Danny's. That is not the effect Dan does with it. I have seen others do similar effects, using original methods they came up with. I sincerely doubt this dealer came up with his own method and design. This guy in Taiwan did not and has no right to sell it or the knock off Losander tables or Sean Bogunia pads he sells. He obviously doesn't care and realizes there are other scum like him that won't either.

As far as the clapper reference, all ideas are not meant for sale. Dan had no intention of every putting it on the market. There are plenty of thieves that have stolen material and you tube is full of them. You can see hundreds of people doing stolen material with knock off props and illusions.

My point is you shouldn't support this establishment, or this kind of behavior. If it was just one thing on his website then maybe coincidence, but there are several items at quick glance. Some magicians are artists, some are imitators. Some have morals and a backbone to stand up for what is right, while others are thieves and steal. We all must make a choice on where to stand. I've made mine and stated it here.
Jason is right I saw Danny doing the sits illusion in the Murray Hatfield Magic'N Miracles show years ago.

Best,

Las
Jason,

Without comparing both harnesses, the one from Danny and Tawaian. I give up. You win.

Though if you still want to continue this conversation send me a Private Message.

G0THIKE
Personally I hate seeing it go on the market as it was one of the best kept secrets with very few performers! One truly that I know of. Another guy seems to have his sitting illusion which I've seen, but matrix is different. I don't believe the original sitting design can do it. Different gimmick and science. So I'd love to know who this originates from truly! Heck, I'd like to know where Cyril got his and I'm satisfied.

On the dark side, I gotta say the price is right. Great reactions come with this when done correctly.

Guess we will see what happens soon. May be something seen in a lot of shows all of a sudden...I'm willing to bet on it!
Is this something that can be done anywhere and appears totally impromptu?
Are there any more sources on this levitation?
I don't like the fact that the demo video is spliced. There is something missing......
Is this something that can be done anywhere and appears totally impromptu? I might want to buy this. One reason I didn't buy the lean is because evidently you need to have it set up prior you can't just walk up to it. Can you do that with this?
Dear JasonBaney
you say "Copperfield flies but he didn't steal it from Superman."
I heard somewhere that the principle was patented and used already by Maskelyne in London around 1904 or 1912 and stolen by Harry Kellar.
True? I don't know.
[quote]
On 2008-05-23 12:21, Dixie wrote:
Dear JasonBaney
you say "Copperfield flies but he didn't steal it from Superman."
I heard somewhere that the principle was patented and used already by Maskelyne in London around 1904 or 1912 and stolen by Harry Kellar.
True? I don't know.
[/quote]

The parts that make Copperfield's flying unique are different from the Maskelyne or Kellar methods.

Best,

Tim
So, what should we do to KILL all those ppl?
There are too many rip-offs thruout the world that have been hurting our art.

Even Cyril performed Shawn's card trick without asking him...
Even Copperfield, he performed the SNOW....
Hi Tim,
The drawing from the Maskelyne illusion shown in one of the Steinmeyer books and the drawing in the patent application from John Gaughan looks quite similar for someone who is not familiar with this illusion.
30 to 50 strings and a mechanism to pull it up 100 years ago and 30 to 50 strings today (just half of them on each side). I don't see the big difference, but of course I am not an engineer who may easily see the general difference in the basic idea.
Regards
Dixie
Why do we play police officers and try to catch evil magicians who try to copy tricks?
Why don't you just focus on creating and performing magic without trying to control everything that goes wrong in this world?
Guess what, people ripped off hundreds of years ago and will rip off in the future no matter what you do.
[quote]
On 2008-05-24 05:15, Dixie wrote:
Hi Tim,
The drawing from the Maskelyne illusion shown in one of the Steinmeyer books and the drawing in the patent application from John Gaughan looks quite similar for someone who is not familiar with this illusion.
30 to 50 strings and a mechanism to pull it up 100 years ago and 30 to 50 strings today (just half of them on each side). I don't see the big difference, but of course I am not an engineer who may easily see the general difference in the basic idea.
Regards
Dixie
[/quote]

Hello Dixie,

I know the drawing you are speaking of and I and I can tell you without a doubt that there is a [b]huge[/b] difference in the two devices. The DC rig is fricken genius!

[quote]
On 2008-05-24 05:57, Poison wrote:
Why do we play police officers and try to catch evil magicians who try to copy tricks?
Why don't you just focus on creating and performing magic without trying to control everything that goes wrong in this world?
Guess what, people ripped off hundreds of years ago and will rip off in the future no matter what you do.
[/quote]
Hmmmmmm sounds like someone out there owns a knockoff or two? LOL

Sorry Poison but I guess you're ok with seeing your neighbor rip off another neighbor but some of us can't just sit by and turn our faces away. Your profile is blank so I have no idea if you are 100 years old or a 14 year old kid but I'll ask you this question anyway.

If you're a parent and one of your kids starts to put stuff from a local store into his pockets to shoplift them are you going to say... "People have always stolen and nothing I do will ever stop it so go ahead"? Or are you going to instruct your son/daughter that its [b]not[/b] the right thing to do?

Best,

Tim
I am 31 years old.
I respect all of you.
But - I meant there are aweful things that people do you can't control.
That's it.
Stealing is one of them.
Understand that stealing the effect will not steal your repertoire and what you accomplished all the years, and you cannot steal presentation and showmanship.
So why worry too much?
[quote]
On 2008-05-24 12:43, Poison wrote:
I am 31 years old.
I respect all of you.
But - I meant there are awefull things that people do you can't control.
That's it.
Stealing is one of them.
Understand that stealing the effect will not steal you repertoire and what you accomplished all the years, and you cannot steal presentation and showmanship.
So why worry too much?
[/quote]
Thanks Poison,

Its a good response but I'll have to respectfully disagree. Many effects are lessened in the poor presentation and building of knockoffs. How many people do you think now have an understanding of how Origami works because of so many [b]poor[/b] copies are out there?

On the other hand there are creators who just don't have much inspiration to release new effects when it will be copied and on the market in months. That also hurts magic as a whole.

You're right. We can't stop it totally. However if we promote respect for other performers and builders then we'll get it right back ourselves and that DOES help magic in general. Ignoring the problem and treating it like it's something that's OK will only promote IP theft and encourage new generations in magic to ignore the ethics that promote good magic.

My ethics have returned an awful lot to me including contributions to my own magic as well as opened [b]many[/b] doors in the magic world to me, both career wise and personally. It's been a hoot and I try my best to encourage others to follow the same path and enjoy those same benefits.

Best,

Tim
Hey, does anyone know Is this something that can be done anywhere and appears totally impromptu? I might want to buy this. One reason I didn't buy the lean is because evidently you need to have it set up prior. You can't just walk up to it. Can you do that with this?
[quote]
On 2008-05-24 19:15, chrusa wrote:
Hey, does anyone know Is this something that can be done anywhere and appears totally impromptu? I might want to buy this. One reason I didn't buy the lean is because evidently you need to have it set up prior. You can't just walk up to it. Can you do that with this?
[/quote]
Sad! Danny Cole are your reading this?

Best,

Tim
Hey chrusa,

I would suggest you spend the money on some morals but since you can't buy them how abut a book on ethics or maybe creativity.
I thought the Magic Café was all about magicians helping magicians.
Because Chrusha is asking questions, instead of giving the member an answer you prefer to slag him/her off.
The answer to your question Chrusha is you would need a special something on the floor. However the Illusion itself is Danny Cole's, and it seems the company who are selling this may not have the inventors permission.
[quote]
On 2008-05-25 16:23, sileeni wrote:
I thought the Magic Café was all about magicians helping magicians.
Because Chrusha is asking questions, instead of giving the member an answer you prefer to slag him/her off.

[/quote]

You are right Sileeni.. it IS about magicians helping magicians but NOT about helping magicians steal from other magicians. It's also about helping fellow magicians protect their originality and IP.

Best,

Tim
Thanks for the answer regarding the special something on the floor. I don't understand about what you mean about morals and ethics. If I purchase it and don't make it myself can't I perform it? I would not hesitate to spend the $1500. I wasn't intending to steal or make the effect myself at all!
[quote]
On 2008-05-25 20:56, chrusa wrote:
Thanks for the answer regarding the special something on the floor. I don't understand about what you mean about morals and ethics. If I purchase it and don't make it myself can't I perform it? I would not hesitate to spend the $1500 I wasn't intending to steal or make the effect myself at all!
[/quote]

Chrusa,

If you buy it ( even with good hard earned cash) from someone that it doesn't belong to then that is stealing. These people make and sell knockoffs of illusions they don't have building rights to.

Best,

Tim
Oh, I didn't know it didn't belong to him. Now how about this: What if it looks the same but the method is different?
It's the same method.
I still have no proof that Kole's allows a full lean in matrix position. Sitting and bending back are two different sciences.

I have emailed a few big names who create and build, yet nobody seems to know for sure who officially has the rights to the matrix bend. They all said the same.. sitting is different, and have never seen Kole do otherwise. Two said the basic principle is in books, just a new performance style in using the principle. Mentions it was used often by clowns in circus acts during fight scenes to avoid a punch by bending backwards like cartoon character.

Any info would be helpful.
[quote]
On 2008-05-25 23:01, videokideo wrote:
I still have no proof that Kole's allows a full lean in matrix position. Sitting and bending back are two different sciences.

I have emailed a few big names who create and build, yet nobody seems to know for sure who officially has the rights to the matrix bend. They all said the same.. sitting is different, and have never seen Kole do otherwise. Two said the basic principal is in books, just a new performance style in using the principal. Mentions it was used often by clowns in circus acts during fight scenes to avoid a punch by bending backwards like cartoon character.

Any info would be helpful.
[/quote]

Hello Video,

Can you ask those two names which books they refer to? It'd be nice to have a reference.

Best,

Tim
I'll send an email to at least one. He did mention the book but my email fritzed and I lost the email with the info in it. I know I didn't have the book so never really looked into it further after I read the email.
I would also like to see the sources about this.
Could ths be done anywhere?
Straight from Danny's mouth:

[quote]Well, about four or five years ago I invented that illusion and
started doing it in my act...Cyril (who is an old friend of mine)
asked if I minded if he did his matrix variation of my trick. I
agreed it was no problem. Then this guy in Taiwan stole Cyril's
version which is based on mine. Please don't support him! I worked
so hard on that illusion and I am trying to keep it as exclusive as
possible. As a creative magician, I know you can understand the
difficulty in developing new material...it is so easy to steal it
once it already exists. Anyway, I am just hoping that the magic
community doesn't buy from this guy (plus, I hear he makes terrible
products anyway.)
[/quote]
Thank you gitty for the videos of the "matrix" I actuallu liked the one of the guy in china best. I agree thogh if it is someone elses idea they should not rip it off in Tawan
Kathy
I'm having a real problem with this issue. Some claim Kole has the rights. But from what I'm hearing you [b]cannot[/b] do the matrix with his gimmick, only a sitting style. Now, to me, that does not give him the rights just because he does 50% of the illusion concept... sitting is very different than leaning.

I fabricated my own almost a year ago and I will not stop using it until I have some sort of proof that I'm ripping someone off. One presentation can be very different than the next. Sitting and leaning are two different gimmicks and illusions. Woodbury does the zig zag, but removes the middle completely and places it on a table. That, to me, is a new concept, not a copy!

[quote]
I invented that illusion and
started doing it in my act...Cyril (who is an old friend of mine)
asked if I minded if he did his matrix variation of my trick.
[/quote]
That says it all to me.... this guy claims to own any type of variation. Might as well claim to own all the variations of levitation as well!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I still see no proof of rights yet. Trust me, I've never ripped anyone off nor ever will. I get paid well enough not to have to do so. But this issue seems to be boarderline at best.
With this line of thinking, magic would have never arrived where it is now. No sawing in halves, no levitations...

Seeing a gimmick and copying it is a rip off.

But seeing an effect and producing the same or similar effect and improving on it, independent of method is what moves the art forward. That's the history of many effects in magic and many inventions in the world.
I have developed a variation of this also! I recall this being discussed about a year or so ago when Cyril's version first appeared! Anyway I started to play with the idea of doing a reverse lean before it all got plastered over you tube and before I was aware of Cyril doing something similar - so it's tricky because if a few people have a similar idea and develop that idea, where do we stand? BTW I don't agree with this Taiwan company selling something that aint their's if they have simply copied it!

I saw the old clown gag only a couple of years ago at a circus which got me thinking about the whole reverse lean!
[quote]
On 2008-07-02 20:44, seanalexander wrote:
I have developed a variation of this also! I recall this being discussed about a year or so ago when Cyril's version first appeared! I saw the old clown gag only a couple of years ago at a circus which got me thinking about the whole reverse lean!
[/quote]

Common guys Danny started the illusion with sitting position and he leaned back a bit. Not fully but if he doesn't do the illusion no one think about it. Then some of the people improved a little and now everyone want a piece of it? That's is ok if you upgrade the illusion but lieve the invention alone. Danny should get the credit only. I'm laughing when I hear that if someone release an illusion then some people saying they thought before that either. Well why did you not released it? Sorry I just don't believe those people. Come up with your own idea release it and I wanna say what do you say when someone else try to take credit for it.

Best,

Las
Some concentrate on doing magic.
Some concentrate on discussing magic.
If I bought this type of illusion, I wouldn't buy it without both Kole's permission, and both Kole's and Cyril's permission for the later version. That won't happen, because I'm not a professional magician, so I don't buy costly illusions. My wife would be [i]very[/i] surprised if she found our son's college fund had been depleted!

Here's an idea that is screaming for a good presentation. I don't know if this would play well in the real world, or if it has a good opportunity cost when compared to other ideas. For what it's worth:

A large, obviously strong man, is brought up on stage, and asked to pick up a wooden chest, or some other object. He cannot budge it. (Unlike some previous similar demonstrations, a little girl is [b]not[/b] brought up to successfully lift the object later).

Magician A leans way over backwards.

Magician B, using the same method, appears to sit on magician A's chest.

The object is lifted with a winch, and placed on magician B's lap.

They extend their arms to the applause position, and look at the audience.

I don't have an ending. It needs one, as well as a good presentation to justify doing all that.

Also, this could be done without magician B, i.e. the object would be placed directly on magician A's chest.

I thought of this, because some people might guess the method, and lots of weight would make many possible guesses at a method seem less likely. Perhaps that's overkill.
I second that! My wife would be very upset with me to say the least!

This is a wonderful illusion, but its unfortunate a magic company has to rip it off. There's a lot of this going on in the magic community these days. :(
FRAUD WARNING: Don't try to buy; this company is a scam! You will kiss your $ goodbye.
Please DISREGARD previous message. It was posted in fear. The company didn't respond to multiple emails for days after money was wired. Trying to get through by phone was unsuccessful because I didn't speak Chinese. BUT they finally responded saying they were "abroad", but now will ship item. So I will have a review for you soon--if item gets here okay.
Itsmagic, have you received the item from that store?
Was there ever a review for this effect?
[quote]
On 2008-05-24 05:57, Poison wrote:
[/quote]

I couldn't agree more...

Yups, it's the balance of life. There's always "The Bad Guys" and "The Good Guys". Here, we all respect what we do and the magic itself (although not all of you did). And out there, there's a bunch of them who hate of what we do and think what we do is fooling others and underestimate the intelligence.

Try to focus in creating and performing something extraordinary.

We create magic for them, not tricks!
I suugest one name for Matrix"-flying illusion manufacturer and performer also
magician akshay email: magicianakshay@yahoo.com he is suppler of chinese dealer also
Now I have Matrix from magician akashay, its custom build for me. I performed last month twice in my live show and my remarks its wotk good. its fitted in just 32 " air travel pack box
There is almost no way whatsoever to stop rip offs or exposure.

I'M NOT SAYING GIVE UP. (That's up to you really...)

Just realize that it is impossible.

If it was not, the multi millionaire's in Magic (Copperfield, S&R, P&T, Lance etc.) would've stopped it because they have the resources and clout to do so...

The fact that they try and are not successful as it is still the norm to rip off and expose Magic, shows that it is just not practical to solve this problem.

You have to work around it. :)
@ magickleark and
@ jacoblucas
you both bought the illusion from this supplier ? May you please tell me some details about the unit he sells or if there is a demo video may I please watch it ? I have contacted him and waiting for his reply thank you very much :) !