(Close Window)
Topic: Marionettes
I woke up today and saw a link to a TV appearance of the great Conrad Hartz with his vent figures and Marionettes...

I realized that's something I can add to my act...MARIONETTES :)

Can anybodyy suggest a nice and reliable site to buy marionettes from?

I already emailed Mr Hartz, a Czech maker and a French maker...

I would appreciate any other suggestions...

Wanlu
Okay...here's a keychain my son and I converted into a marionette this afternoon :)

You think we have a future in this? :)

http://wanlu99.multiply.com/video/item/27/Marionette
Finally got an Email from a Check Marionette maker...

I may order 1 or 2 soon :)

It's kinda interesting and might just add spice to my act ;)
Back in 1987 I purchased a 1950's style piano player. Over the years I have taken the piano out(less to carry) but have had much success with the Master Craft Marionettes. I don't think they are in business anymore..perhaps you can find one second hand.

In the mid 80's I got a chance to use marionettes interacting with live actors. The dwarfs in Snow White were "played by marionettes. Working high above the stage was quite the experience.

Making marionettes out of things like key chains, stuffed animals, or other toys is a great creative exercise. Also think Slinkiess, plastic milk jugs and other things you have around the house.

Your dance with the marionette is a great start. When you get a properly weighted marionette the legs and feet will cooperate a bit more. (loved the energy and music..reminded me of the scarecrow dance in Wizard of Oz.

Enjoy your branching out.
Thanks Harris :)

I got an email from a Czeck marionette maker already...

I'm still undecided which one to get...Im hoping I can get a figure that can sing and dance... ;)

In the meantime, what I have in mind are the ff

Old Couple
Jazz Trumpeteer
Charlie Chaplin

Almost $700 for all 4 including shipping that's why I want to take time to decide...when I was starting in Ventriloquism, I bought a lot of figures that I did not really want :)

Im hoping I can get the exact marionettes that I want and not waste time, effort and money again :)

A song and dance thing might be nice for a kidshow :)
Ha! The keychain puppet was pretty funny!

The arms worked pretty well and it had great character.

I love my puppet so much I'm marionette!

I have a few. Don't use them in public though. They're very hard to do well. It's a pity cheshire cat isn't still on the Café he does them in his act.

I have 2 of the long-legged long legged furry ones, they're easy to make walk and snoop but can't do much else. Although, I once saw a 10 foot high one. I did think about getting one, dressing in black on stilts and selling it as a walk-around for night clubs.

I also have a Czech one. I bought it in Prague. It's a character called Spebjl.
It's quite nice although hard to work and chips easily. It's got a clay head, hands and feet. I think porcelian is generally better than clay and wood (hand carved) is often the best of the lot.

I think the way they make the joints is quite important, too. Might be something worth researching before you buy them.

best of luck,
George

P.S. I love the marionette work in "In being John Malkovich", there's a good marionette clip from the paul Daniels show on you tube.
Marionettes work well with all audiences..

Depending on of course...the type of dance, music, stage setting...song...

Since I am a magician I have also looked at the Trumpeteer. Folks for years have been waiting for Nigel to play the harmonica. (yes small harps and tapes have been tried)

Break dancing, Irish Jig...Kazazki....limbo...

Your point about buying things that will go into your show is very important...

I believe these are at times available on the Ebay. Of course it is always important to know the seller.(or others that do)
Thanks Harris and Magicgeorge :)

Ironically, they are much cheaper in Ebay than from the Marionette sites I Googled...would you believe the $700 items from a site will only cost half from an Ebay seller?

I might just get them from an Ebay seller who has more than 600 positive feedbacks :)

Thanks again,

Wanlu
Got an offer from a Dave Allen...

Conrad Hartz speak highly of him...has anyone here worked with Mr Allen's marionettes? :)

A lot more expensive than the ones in Ebay but his might be more profesional :)
Okay...decided to get one from Dave Allen and one from the Czech maker...got myself a couple of pro marionettes :)

A Chaplin from the Czech and a Skeleton from Dave :)

This might just be an interesting addition to my act :)
This is the one Im getting from the Czech maker...the moving eyes and mouth feature is really interesting :)

The one Im getting from Dave is a skeleton with moving mouth :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5G865ZpWzXk
Practice, practice, practice.
Oh yes...til know I practice with my vent figures :)

I'm sure it will take a lot of practice manipulating those marionettes :)
Hey James...I visited your website and saw that you work with marionettes.

How long have you been performing with them? Where do you get your marionettes?

Wanlu
I have been making and performing professionally with my puppets and marionettes for more than 10 years.I make all the puppets and marionettes for my show.
I perform mainly with trick marionettes and customised many of the puppets to specific songs. You can view my older puppets and marionttes at:<www.mascotsandpuppets.com>.I'll be happy to answer some of your questions.
Maps
I use a marionette in my show too.
But I use a very simple marionettes, a furry duck with two legs and long neck.

Since it is cheap and easy to play, I teach my kids audience to play with it also.
They love it and their parents love it too. :)

This is part of my warming up program.
Hey maps...you have some very nice marionettes :) I particularly like the grasshopper :)

hey Budi what kind do you use? :)

I'm getting a Chaplin and a Skeleton :) both with moving mouth :)
Thanks Wanlu. I will be performing at the Bangkok Magic Convention in Oct.Will you be there?
I made a singing skeleton and another skeleton whose head pops out and the limbs back breaks apart and came together.
The grasshopper plays the violin and dances.I also have an acrobat and a tight rope walker in my repertoire.I have jugglers and celebrities like Carmen Miranda and Elvis and I am in the process of making a Michael Jackson.
I think I've made about 200 marionettes.I just finished making and performing with an actor look-alike marionette in a off Broadway show.
I saw Maps in Bangkok last convention...really great show...
I still remember his dog mrrionett...Wanlu I think you will love it...

CC
Thank you Ssucahyo,I'll be bringing a new marionette act there.Hope to see you there.
Hi maps...okay I will go to Bangkok on October to see you and your marionettes :)

Can you make one for me please? I would rather get from a working pro than from a dealer.

I got a skeleton already from Dave Allen...Conrad Hartz speak highly of him, I was planning to get one from a Czech maker but if you can make one for me then I would rather get one from you.

I was kinda interested in the Czech marionette because it has moving eyes and mouth...very much like a vent figure.

Check it our here...let me know what you think please.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5G865ZpWzXk

Hi ssuchayo...Can you give me some info on the Bangkok convention please :)
Hey guys...look at this Marionette :)

Maybe we can make a vent figure similar to this :) Id like to see Walther as big as this...

http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=d604qgmBPlo&NR=1
Hi Maps...I might not make it in Bangkok this year :)

Just bought a Jumbo Sidekick...plus we are fixing our kitchen and my wife will have a baby via C-Section this August...in other words, "I don't have extra money left" :)

You guys and gals have fun in Thailand :)
[quote]
my wife will have a baby
You guys and gals have fun in Thailand
[/quote]
Sounds like someone was having fun at Wanlu's house... :)
Thanks for sharing the marionette (wow) video....

Also I understand house hold budgets and new props...I rememeber the year of new carpeting and siding on our Enchanted Cottage.

For a more digital approach.

http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=I6ZpsqOD4rU
Thanks guys :)

We are fixing our kitchen cabinets and extending the kitchen...we want something nice and modern this time...the last design we had was way too small and rather flimsy :)

Now back to the topic...

I'm still waiting for my marionette from Dave Allen. :) A skeleton marionette :)
Still waiting... :(
The marionette maker that I asked to make my first marionette told me that it will be ready in a week...but its been a month and no marionette. I'm starting to lose interest :(
I also sell puppets...when we tell a buyer to give us 3 weeks to make his puppet, we are usually done in less than 3 weeks.

If there is any delay, we plan to inform a buyer of such delays and the reason of the delay. But so far...no delays.

Too bad...I really wanted to add a marionette or two in my act :(
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eM9opAFewss

Now that's entertainment :)

Just kidding :)
Phillip Huber.

http://www.hubermarionettes.com/
I finally ordered my very first marionette...I ordered one before from a marionette maker at WorldVents but it took ages til I lost my appetitie for marionettes and decided not to get one.

This time...our friend Frankie (maps) of Mascots and Puppets will make one for me :)

Thanks Frankie :)

Wanlu
I shld thank you Wanlu!
Actually Phillip Huber is my mentor
My Elvis marionette from Frankie arrived today... :)

It's a work of art...I can't stop playing with it.

Give me a month or two (or 3 or 4) and I'll post a video :)

It won't take you take long Wanlu. It'll only take 2 weeks.....if you practise 24 hrs a day! Jst kidding!
I am glad you like him.
Lucky you Wanlu. You now own one of the world's best made marionettes. Frankie has shared with you his lifetime of knowledge in making that.

A long time ago (25 years) I saw Bill Stickland perform his "Living Marionettes". That was something entirely different. His head was part of the marionettes he presented. It was amazing for me. You had to have lots of character personalities to perform that act.

With the string marionettes, it is the puppeteer who brings life to the figure and makes it a star of the show.

I am still undecided on what marionette I will get from Frankie. Definitely, it will be a popular personality that I can use for my family shows. How about that striptease act (just kidding). Maybe, I will.
Tks Lou for the kind comment.
Some of the popular characters tat are easy to manipulate are the juggler and belly dancer(You can use her with the striptease music that you were searching for sometime back}.There's also the breakapart skeleton which always gets lots of response.You can see some of these in my promo here :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOebVi8f4ZA
The stripper is quite complex to reset.
Let me know how I can help you design yr popular personality for yr family show.
Btw,the stripper marionette was from Jim Gamble.
Phillip Huber doesn't have a stripper,
Hi Frankie,

Which design do you suggest I get next? :)

Wanlu
Tito Wanlu,I would suggest the breakapart skelton.He is easier to manipulate and it's very magical to see him come apart and joining himself together again.
You can use it for ministry(ezekiel's bones) and for family shows as well.
It's also very easy to find songs for it.
My 11 yr old son is having a great time with the new marionette...

Give him a few more weeks and I'll post a new video with better manipulation :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rha7691BpS4
Got my new marionettes from Frankie :)

Aside from my Elvis...I now have a mummy and a juggler.

Great work Frankie!!!

Thanks...and Godspeed!

Wanlu
Hi Wanlu,I hope you are having fun entertaining the people with yr new Juggler and the Mummy.
I started off my puppeteering career with the juggler and he's always my opening act.Since than I've made only three and one of them is in yr hands.
Have fun!!
Frankie
Contact the Bob Baker Marionette Theatre in Los Angeles. They make and sell marionettes. They have a website with marionettes for sale online. Good luck!
I hope to see and try Wanlu's marionettes from Frankie one of this days.
Hi Lou,
you can also see them on my webpage at
<www.mascotsandpuppets.com>
I am waiting for Wanlu to post his vidz on you-tube.
Frankie
Still don't have an ISP at home...I will soon post a video :)
Thank Wanlu.Looking forward to seeing it in action!
Maps
Check out Frankie's marionette...a work of art.

My son Ivan performing for FREE in a kiddie party...just to be able to practise and check out his moves. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQOOkyhIqgs
Looks Great!
Ivan has got moves!
Thanks Eddie :)

He needs to practice daily...specially with the mummy and juggler marionettes.
Loved the reaction when Elvis turned to shake his fanny at the kids ! You could hear them laughing.

It amazes me when you post these videos of the elaborate parties at the venues you work ! There is nothing like these where I live. Must be glorious getting to perform where birthdays are that big an event....

:)

Mark
Mark,
Here in the Philippines, particularly in Manila, children's birthday parties are a big deal for parents--especially at age 1 and 7. Parents really plan and spend much just to be able to give their kid a special day.

That's why we usually have "elaborate" parties here, as you said.

Ony
It must be marvelous ! We have party-type restaurants here, like Chuck E Cheeses, but they have never been very accomodating with the local entertainers. They like to do everything in house to make more profit. There is a privately owned theme park here where I live, and they are the same way. They frown on local entertainers coming in for parties. They want the parents to pony up more cash for other options they offer, rather than bringing in entertainment.

I hope those birthday venues are a trend that catches on here in the states, as they look like a birthday magician's dream venue ! I can't get over the size of the crowds on those videos....
Kiddie parties here are big. People spend a lot of money in decorartions and entertainment :)

This one was held in a big stadium :)

http://wanlu99.multiply.com/photos/album/55/Julio_Ejercitos_1st_Birthday
Pictures of my son's party :)

Eli's 1st birthday :)

http://wanlu99.multiply.com/photos/album/77/Elis_1st_Birthday
Hi,

Im selling a mummy marionette I got from Frankie :)It looks very nice...control is so cool...but we need the funds to buy another marionette. :)

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=324474&forum=80&2&start=0#1
Is this still for sale Wanlu?
Yes... :)
I just bought my 3rd marionette from "maps" :)

I now have Elvis, Clown juggler and will soon have MJ :)

My MJ marionette from Frankie (maps) arrived today,...he looks so cool!!! :)

Send in the photos
Wanlu,
I hope you liked my work so far.
Yes,do send in some pics!
Frankie
I love your work Frankie...you are a genius :) You are a true artist...

I have been working on MJ the whole day...so cool!!!

I'll post pictures soon...

Hi Wanlu,emailed you the vid for manipulating MJ.Have fun!
Marionettes are much harder to manipulate but once you get the basics down,they are such a joy for both you and the audience.
They can even double as a vent puppet...with very articulated movements!
Oh yes Frankie...got the video. :)

Thank you very much :)

I had that idea in mind...since your Elvis and MJ marionettes have moving mouth, they can be used as vent figures as well...MJ even has side to side moving eyes. COOL!!!

I'm hoping this won't be the last marionette I buy from you...

Wanlu
Once the marionette bug bites you it'll make you itch to perform.Once you see the tremendous response from the audience without you doing anything with the marionette yet,you'll know that this age old forgotten artform still have plenty of magic that still work wonders.
My son Ivan with Elvis (5:25)

http://www.pinoychannel.tv/watch/v-174875?title=KUWENTONG%20TALENTADO%2004%202/6

He did not win but he got lot's of kind words and comments over the internet so the network gave him a chance to compete again along with 6 other contestants who also got good reviews. The network made a "come back" episode for 7 contestants who did well in their respective episodes but lost :)

My son Ivan with the Clown (1:17)

http://www.pinoychannel.tv/watch/v-176046?title=TALENTADONG%20PINOY%20S05E06%202/6

Unfortunately...he did not win :) but I'm so proud of my son because he did very well for an amateur marionette manipulator. I was teaching him some moves but he insisted to do it his way...and that is good. Stubborn... but good. :)

Thanks to Frankie for these great marionettes...mummy ships out asap :)

Now..my older son Martin is practicing with the MJ marionette to try his luck in a different talent show in a another network :)
Cool stuff. Isaw a Juggking clown at the Victoria and Albert museum today.
I also saw some great marrionettes at Darryl Worbeys studio this week.
Wow,Ivan did great!! You can see that he put in a lot of practise.
The important thing about marionette is to keep his feet on the ground and not jerk the strings on the puppet too much.
Subtler movements will make the puppet move more naturally.
Well done!
If only I understaood what the judges were trying to say.

Not bad for someone who practiced a few days before he entered the contest :)

The comments were all positive...but I agree with one of the judges when he said some movements were repeated...that's exactly what I told my son, to make the moves distinct and well choreographed...and not just pull the strings :)

I'm confident...both my kids Martin and Ivan will get the HANG of it in due time :) Martin is getting ready to join another contest...in a different network with a different concept using MJ :)

Here is Ivan in a couple of kiddie parties...

How many contests are there in the Phillipines? Lol!
When doing puppetry,it'll take time to get to know the puppet.Let the puppet tell you what it can do and not what you want the puppet to do.Every marionette is unique even if it's made the same with the same controller and stringing.
It's all about gravity and momentum.Choreography and music is also imporant to make the puppet believeable and lifelike and not doll-like

I will make sure my sons will get your advice.

There are about 4 major talent contests in Manila :) :) :)
Hey Wanlu,

Happy to see all these clips you've posted.

You're raising an entire show-biz family :)

Even simple marionette acts seem to be adored by children. Check this one out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U99Wn9dLOk8&feature=player_embedded

Best,
Tod
Frankie, I don't see any prices for the marions on your site. What are their range?
P.S. Walnu, that MJ figure on Frankie's site looks simply AWESOME!!

http://frankiemalachi.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/michael-jackson-marionette.jpg

It looks so well made that I think it could sell numerous appearances all by itself. Like in LOTS of appearances.

I see "signature act" written all over it for this time and place right now!
Thanks Tod,
Each marionette is hand made and customised and all of them are individual and unique.The prices are dependant on what functions the marionette needs to do so that I can design the controller.The design and costume will also add to the cost.
I just finished customising a marionette for Paul Romhany.You'll probably read more about it in his blog next week.
So if you need one,we can discuss it and develop yr signature act.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M84oIGeYvYA
I customised this for a friend who's working in Vegas
This is my promo if you want to see some of my puppets in action.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOebVi8f4ZA

Let me know what you think
[quote]
On 2009-10-31 22:55, Tod Todson wrote:
Hey Wanlu,

Happy to see all these clips you've posted.

You're raising an entire show-biz family :)

Even simple marionette acts seem to be adored by children. Check this one out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U99Wn9dLOk8&feature=player_embedded

Best,
Tod
[/quote]

Thanks Tod :)

I gave the MJ marionette to my eldest son Martin :) while the Clown Juggler went to my son Ivan...
Wanu, I just looked at your son's clip again, and saw your very spifty van in the background. Eye catching!

It went by too fast though. Do you have any still shots of your van with it's silk screening?
Frankie,

I believe I've seen that Malachai marionette before! I think it's been posted on other threads as an example of great art! Didn't know it was you who had made it though.

Many kudo's!
Tod
Thanks Tod.That marionette was named after me! Lol!
Are you planning to use marionettes?
Frankie Malachi Yeo
[quote]
On 2009-11-01 12:44, Tod Todson wrote:
Wanu, I just looked at your son's clip again, and saw your very spifty van in the background. Eye catching!

It went by too fast though. Do you have any still shots of your van with it's silk screening?
[/quote]

Hi Tod... I changed the svan ticker into a bigger set featuring me and my figure Nicolo...both sides and the back as well :)

Check out this art work a friend of mine made for me...

http://wanluthemagician.blogspot.com/2009/10/me-myself-myself-and-myself-wanlu.html
Got it. No van pics? I didn't see any on that link.

Tod
[quote]
On 2009-11-02 20:38, Tod Todson wrote:
Got it. No van pics? I didn't see any on that link.

Tod
[/quote]

I'll take some pictures and post it to the blog soon :)
Here's part of Paul Romhany blog about my new project...

have been able to meet with some really wonderful magicians and this week I met up with an extremely talented craftsman, puppeteer and magician Frankie Yeo. Frankie has been helping me with a very special new part of my show that was finally finished the other day. It is an incredible marionette puppet of Charlie that can do some absolutely incredible things. We are currently working on ideas on how to bring it to life and how to incorporate it in to my show. What we have come up with is out of this world and will certainly create one of the most unique magic acts I have ever dreamed of. Frankie has an amazing warehouse filled with his own creations - I felt like a kid again walking in there.

Here is Frankie with little Charlie.
Thearticle is found here:
http://romhanyreport.blogspot.com/
My son Martin with his MJ marionette :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nVtrwvRyj4

My son Ivan with his Elvis marionette :)

Bothe marionettes are from Frankie (maps)

My kids would love to read your comments :) Please don't forget that Martin just got his marionette just a few weeks ago...
I just love watching the Elvis marionette from maps.
Hi Wanlu,I think Martin did a great job! Congratulations! With such a short time I think he did very well indeed!
I think he needs to add more choreography and different moves and poses to make it more interesting to watch.The humping movements in my humble opinion should not be in the beginning but should come somewhere in the middle of the song.
Well done Martin!
I wasn't too fond of MJ's pelvic moves, but the routine overall was charming!
I love Frankie´s Napoleon Bones-Apart.
It´s in my wishing list for the end of this year.
Just to share with you... I met Frankie (maps) of Singapore here in Manila, Philippines last week during the PAPET ASEAN 2010 Puppetry Festival. He was one of the delegates. We talked and exchanged puppetry stories, and I had a chance to see his wonderful marionette puppets backstage. Plus I saw his fantastic 35-minute performance live! And I can tell you that his work is superb!

Frankie's a great guy! An outstanding marionette pupeteeer.

Frankie, if you're reading this, I'm glad we met in person, and I hope you enjoyed your stay in Manila. See you again in the future.
Thanks Ony.I am glad to have met you and hv enjoyed yr generosity and friendship.
Ony kept his audiences both young and old in stitches from beginning till end of the programme.His pig puppet St Pagita (sp?)is a riot!
It was definitely a memorable time in Manila.
Our path will definitely cross again!
Maps
Maps (Frankie),

Thanks and I'm glad you enjoyed the program. My piglet puppet's name is Sampaguita (it is actually the name of our national flower).

All the best!
So that's how you spell it.Sorry for the bad spelling.
Hi Frankie,

The video is a a tv talent contest with only 90 seconds to perform :)

We opted to do that pelvic thing ahead to get the judges' attention and it worked. Even the audience liked the act. He did win in that contest as the daily winner but was not able to defeat the champion :)

Martin also managed to win in another tv talent contest where he won twice :) He did Bad and Billy Jean.

I agree with you, he needs to learn more moves... but for someone who got the marionete and learned how to manipulate marionettes just a few months before he joined the contest, I think he did pretty well.

With your help and a lot more practice, I think my sons Martin and Ivan can be better :)
My Heartiest congratulations!!! I am so proud of him!
You guys sure are a talented family.
Let me know how I can be of help.
Just to let you know... they were interviewed in 3 TV shows in 3 different tv networks and gave credit to you as the maker of the marionettes they use.

Thanks Frankie! :bigsmile:

May God continue to bless you!
Message: Posted by: Steve at The Dummy Shoppe (Feb 4, 2011 10:38PM)
Cool Wanlu,

Tell the boys to keep up the good work. It won't be long before they will be giving ol Dad a run for his money.

Steve
http://www.thedummyshoppe.com
LOL :) Thanks Steve :)
Thanks Wanlu,Much appreciated.It's an honour to have you use some of my marionettes! May you win many more awards in days to come!
My sons Martin and Ivan together known as "Lunaria Brothers Marionette Show" got 3 YES votes in "Pilipinas Got Talent" using two Frankie Malachi marionettes :)

Long way to go but we are happy with the 3 Yes votes :)

To God be the Glory!
Congratulations Wanlu on your sons achievements! I wish them many more YES!in the coming rounds.
Our debt of gratitude to you Frankie :bigsmile:
My sons Martin and Ivan using Frankie's fantastic marionettes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hn4FPhwZ8lA

Still a long way to go before they get the hang of it but this is a good start :)