(Close Window)
Topic: ..somebody might know..
I've always loved the "Dancing Egg" routine I learned many years ago from the wonderful Irv Weiner. I use it in conjunction with a bowl routine. My problem my old egg looks like an old egg. It's slowly turning grey. I tried spaying one white. But it became too glossy looking. Also bleach or washing didn't do much. I bought a new egg (for silk to egg) but the hole is too large. Any idea on effecting the finish. Or finding that old style smaller opening?
You might try using fine sand paper to go over the egg that looks to glossy. That would rough it up some.
Use a primer like Kilz instead of paint.
White shoe polish (liquid).

Cheers! ;)
Hey , some interesting ideas! Thank you
Eggs aren't really white -- more like an eggshell white. :)

Seriously, there are hundreds of different colors we call white. If you look at a real (white) egg, you'll see it has a very slight sheen instead of being a flat color. Without getting into custom-mixing a color like we do in theater, I'd suggest getting a can of something like an almond or other slight off-white color and spraying it lightly while using a real egg for reference. I like to use two or more different spray colors, one on top of the other, to get just the color I want.

To finish it, a very light sanding like Terry suggested, with something like a 220 grit paper is a good idea.
Spray it with dull lacquer finish acrylic epoxy paint.
I think lacquer might be hard to come by in Canada.
Tester's dull cote. (also used a roughing spray) will take the gloss off anything
There must be an egg out there with a smaller hole than the Silk to egg I bought. The hole is so big when you put your thumb into it to do the "dancing egg" routine it just drops off. Thanks for your suggestions , but I'll try plan "B" , measure the opening and canvas the dealers. Alan
Alan,

The usual problem is quite the opposite. Cheaper eggs have smaller holes.

Contact RJE here on The Café and we can have a ceramic one with a very small hole made for you.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander