(Close Window)
Topic: Ripley's Believe It or Not
Recently, I was reading through one of the Ripley's books and found at least two items that I know have supposedly been debunked as urban legends. Makes me wonder how thoroughly they really do research the "facts" for their books. It would make me very sad and unable to trust their reports if they can't be relied upon. :(

Well, I get to be the first poster in another new forum! :dancing: :pepper: :righton:
Hi Clynim,

That, then, would be the "or Not" part :)

Regards, Steve
"supposedly debunked" is the stuff of legends too.
So what were the two items?
Something about the great wall of China and a guy named Robert Wholler.
I would have to look for both of them again, but one of them was the story about the boot with the rattlesnake tooth in it that supposedly killed two or three members in a family when they tried the boot on.

One story tauts it as an urban legend. Ripley's went so far as to name names and, I believe, dates.

I'll look for the other story and report back to you.
If you've ever been to one of their "museums" like the one in Niagara Falls Canada, you'd see that a LOT of the things they showcase are "fakes," but they aren't exactly claiming them all to be real. It's a glorified "sideshow" museum.
Ripley's is about ratings and controversy, not about actual fact. FYI.
[quote]
On 2008-06-02 01:28, gdw wrote:
If you've ever been to one of their "museums" like the one in Niagara Falls Canada, you'd see that a LOT of the things they showcase are "fakes," but they aren't exactly claiming them all to be real. It's a glorified "sideshow" museum.
[/quote]

That's right.
I always thought that Robert Ripley left it up to you to decide if it was true or not, hence his by line "Believe it or Not". Regardless, it makes for interesting conversation.

Glenn
Ripley was another P.T.Barnum
There is a thing in the upcoming Ripley's book about a guy that has eaten more than 4,000 light bulbs! It says that he learned to do it from some sideshow guy and that in one summer season performing in some show in a seaside amusement park or something he ate more than a thousand bulbs. I mean, c'mon. Who is going to believe that?
Ripley lied??? :(
Todd...uh...just wondering...how many light bulbs have you eaten?
More than 4,000.
Pay attention folks: the answers don't always come quickly, but they DO come!

Thanks, Todd.

I guess I'm gonna have to buy the upcoming Ripley's book.
[quote]
On 2008-06-05 23:26, Police Magician wrote:
I always thought that Robert Ripley left it up to you to decide if it was true or not, hence his by line "Believe it or Not". Regardless, it makes for interesting conversation.

Glenn
[/quote]

If I recall the story correctly, he started out with a newspaper strip and originally called it "Champs... and Chumps." His editor (I believe) crossed it out and wrote "Believe it or not..." and that's the name that stuck. Believe it or not.
You also have to take into account censorship by editing. Charles Shultz (of Peanuts fame) had one of his first pictures published in Ripley's. He drew a picture of his dog (with a note that said; "Drawn by Sparky") stating that the dog ate nails, tacks and screws. Well, someone at Ripley's, fearing that the public might think the word "screws" was a verb and not a noun, changed it to "eats nails, tacks and razor blades."
I will be performing at Ripley's Believe It or Not in St. Augustine on April the 18th. It is the original building that is seen on the TV show.
If you are in the area please stop by.
I will be part of a promotion there so I think that my Performance may be open to the public and possibly free. I will also be on the radio :)
My baby brother, George the Giant (www.georgethegiant.com), will be performing at Ripley's in Times Square on Valentine's/Presidents Day Weekend (Feb. 14-16). He's not sure what he'll be doing but you know it will be fun and strange, because that's the kind of guy he is!
You have to keep in mind that the original Ripley's was from back in the day.
Wow! I thought it was reliable as Guiness book of records...
[quote]
On 2009-02-08 11:52, Psychic Samurai wrote:
I will be performing at Ripley's Believe It or Not in St. Augustine on April the 18th. It is the original building that is seen on the TV show.
If you are in the area please stop by.
I will be part of a promotion there so I think that my Performance may be open to the public and possibly free. I will also be on the radio :)
[/quote]

They will be giving away over $25,000.00 in loot that day ... FREE !!!!!

On the radio or online internet radio. No need to be there.
Message: Posted by: sacerdote dpn bpsco (Apr 15, 2009 03:05AM)
Not is an option
Here's a link to the links ...

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=310918&forum=15&4

Ripley's was a FANTASTIC place !!!!!!
Ripley did leave the loop hole of "or not" in his wording that leaves the decision to take the information to heart to the reader, but Guiness on the other hand in 100% bonified, real, and unquestionably legit.
I really enjoyed my tour of the Ripley's on the wharf in San Francisco during my last visit. I only wish that it would have been just a bit longer or bigger. It certainly left me wanting more and thinking of how much fun the Curator must have giving his personal tours and how I need to place a visit on my life list to go to Belgium and see it all for myself.

Here in Saint Paul, MN we have a place called 'The Museum of Questionable Medical Devices" that is now in it's permanent home at the New Science Museum building. It is interesting all by itself but even more fun when the Professor is on site and showing how many of these devices were used on the people going through the exhibit.

It seems the placebo effect has been in use for a very long time and I am continually amazed at what people will believe as truth. It certainly makes my job much easier.

k
Ripley's Believe It or Not book "Strikingly True" page 220. :) I can vouch for it.
A question for Mr. Higley
Mr. Higley, first off, a compliment, you really do look like Gepetto, one of my grandfatherly heroes when I was a child.
Now the question, there is a roadside attraction not too far from the New Mexico - Arizona border, near Dragoon, Arizona. It is called, The Thing. Is that one of your fabulous discoveries? They must have made millions of dollars with that exhibit because its been around for a lot of years and I always see the parking lot full of tourists.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nizektEOGdc
[quote]
On 2010-04-04 13:12, StPaulMagician222 wrote:
I really enjoyed my tour of the Ripley's on the wharf in San Francisco during my last visit. I only wish that it would have been just a bit longer or bigger. It certainly left me wanting more and thinking of how much fun the Curator must have giving his personal tours and how I need to place a visit on my life list to go to Belgium and see it all for myself.

Here in Saint Paul, MN we have a place called 'The Museum of Questionable Medical Devices" that is now in it's permanent home at the New Science Museum building. It is interesting all by itself but even more fun when the Professor is on site and showing how many of these devices were used on the people going through the exhibit.

It seems the placebo effect has been in use for a very long time and I am continually amazed at what people will believe as truth. It certainly makes my job much easier.

k
[/quote]

I had a radionic instrument that was built by J.G. Gallimore that I sold for $600 about ten years ago. Those "questionable" devices are still being used today. I'm on the U S Psycotronics Assn mailing lists and the have conventions every year and they have dealers who still sell the instruments. google JG Gallimore and the U S Psychotronics for more interesting information.
Do they work? Absolutely....... ;-)
Love urband legends, thanks!
[quote]
On 2008-05-27 15:15, stoneunhinged wrote:
[/quote]
Don't know Wholler, but the Great Wall of China urban legend is that it is the only manmade object on earth than can be seen from the moon.

Totally false - It may be several thousand miles long, but it's only 15 to 20 feet wide! If you could see something 20 feet wide from the moon, you could see just about every man-made building on earth.

An author named Henry Norman published this bit of nonsense in a book in 1904, and it's been circulating as fact since then.
I might add that I wrote all the questions for a central Illinois "College Bowl"-type TV show, in which high school scholastic bowl teams competed. The show (which I also hosted, brag brag) ran for 25 years, and I wrote something like 50,000 questions in that quarter of a century.

And one thing I learned fast is that it is unbelievable how many "quiz" books have wrong information in them. And when a false "fact" appears in one book, it's picked up by other books and just keeps on keeping on. One author who wrote a lot of trivia books (Fred Worth) would put a few false facts in each book he wrote, so he could catch plagiarists.

I had to double-check and sometimes triple-check my questions and answers to be sure I wasn't perpetuating any myths.
[quote]
On 2012-07-28 18:12, danhughes wrote:
[quote]
On 2008-05-27 15:15, stoneunhinged wrote:
[/quote]
Don't know Wholler, but the Great Wall of China urban legend is that it is the only manmade object on earth than can be seen from the moon.

Totally false - It may be several thousand miles long, but it's only 15 to 20 feet wide! If you could see something 20 feet wide from the moon, you could see just about every man-made building on earth.

An author named Henry Norman published this bit of nonsense in a book in 1904, and it's been circulating as fact since then.
[/quote]

I'm man enough to admit that I was told this as a child and have never questioned it. Now it seems so obvious, and I feel more thna a little dumb! As for Ripley's - I loved the museum I visited, it's a must do regardless of how true everything is.
Internet killed the wonder of it all
I think the intertnet has just created new wonders.
The connection between the great wall of China and Robert Whooler (not Wholler as mistakenly noted) - who was of Belgium origin and a bicycle manufacturer, by the way - is that Mr Whooler (also known as 'Coopertwix') was the first European to tricycle the Great Wall BOTH WAYS, in each direction. He did this in 1923-4. It took him 584 days.

'Coopertwix' is today the brand name of a make of European uni-cycle created by his 2nd daughter, Elizabeetha Whooler, to honour her dad; it was the nick-name she gave her father early in her life.

So, that's the story and it can be read about in Elizabeetha Whooler's (1967)autobiography - "Come Bicycling through Belgium with me". Faber, London.
Ripley made very strong efforts to stay with facts and truth at the beginning of his long career. I believe that his reputation was genuine. I can't speak for what they have done with it today!
[quote]On Nov 5, 2012, jugglestruck wrote:
I think the intertnet has just created new wonders. [/quote]

I read it on the internet... It has to be true!
Bruce Campbell, of Evil Dead and Burn Notice fame is hosting a reboot of Ripley's Believe It Or Not TV show starting tonight on The Travel Channel. (While he does live near me, we've never met and I have no connection with the show or network.)

https://www.travelchannel.com/shows/ripleys-believe-it-or-not
Buddy of mine was on the premier episode, I believe. Dai Andrews. Haven't managed to see it yet, though.