(Close Window)
Topic: Let's share some of our favorites
I know of quite a few urban legends myself. I was hoping some of you could share a few that you know.

One of my favorites, that I remember from my childhood (25 years ago or so), is about the kid from the Life cereal commercials "Mikey". The story went that Mikey, (Apparently being an extreme sugar freak) Downed 5 or 6 cans of coke and chased it with a few packets of Pop Rocks candy. Apparently because of all the carbon dioxide being released from the candy and Coke, His poor stomach could not vent it fast enough and it exploded! Mikey of course died from this.

Now this sound kind of funny, But when I was a kid this was a BIG deal. Every kid I knew was afraid to eat Pop Rocks and drink Coke and every parent banned Pop Rocks from their kids candy lists. This went on and was accepted as general FACT for quite a number of years until "Mikey", In his older incarnation (He was about 24 or so in this instance) Showed up in another Life cereal commercial! Well, jaws hit the floor faster than Pop Rocks sales did when the whole incident started. No one could believe it was all a hoax. And a very serious hoax at that. Pop Rocks were actually taken off the market because of this whole thing.

Here's a link to the Pop Rocks website if anyone is interested.

http://www.poprockscandy.com/history.html

It actually has the whole history of the incident right there on the page.

Its amazing how these things can get started and then, Fueled by speculation and fear, they can grow into something that can actually get a product taken off the market.

Well... that's one of mine. Anyone else have one?

Tim
One of my favorites is actually a Japanese urban legend I first heard in the Philippines.

As the story goes, a young man and woman who are just married and on their honeymoon in the United States are shopping in a market in a rural bazaar. The young woman goes into a changing room and never comes out again. The young man is panic stricken and searches all over for her. Eventually, distraught and exhausted, he returns to the hotel where the concierge gives him a message from his wife that says she can't go through with their life together and has run away. Heartbroken, he checks out of the hotel and returns home to Japan.

Many years pass, and eventually the young man gets transferred to Manila by the company he works for. In Manila, he meets a Filipino woman and falls in love with her. Eventually he proposes marriage and she accepts. On the night of his bachelor party, he and his friends stumble into a run down back alley brothel after a night of carousing. The young man decides not to go upstairs with the prostitutes and instead sits in the lounge watching a graphic adult themed freak show. He is amazed to discover when he looks up that one of the performers, who has no arms or legs, is the wife that ran off in America. He charges the stage and scoops her up and runs out of the place and she explains tearfully that she was abducted through a trap door in the dressing room, was mutilated by her kidnappers and sold into slavery. In the version I was told, the man then takes her home and she and his new fiancée and him all live together to this day outside of Cebu city.
I grew up in this area and drove down this road many times.
Yes, strange things occur on this road and in the graveyard beside it.

Throughout all stories of Annie's Road one thing is agreed upon, Annie is said to have been killed on the road. The story has evolved into versions ranging from the girl being killed on her wedding night and then being dragged along the road.
One story tells of Annie being stood up at her prom, and in her dismay decided to get drunk and walk along the road; soon, however, she is said to have been hit by a car full of drunk students returning from prom. Locals have many different versions of Annie's story.

Alongside of the road was a guardrail painted red, where she died. Local's stories say that on the eve of her death every year her deranged father returns to paint it, supposedly because he wants to be with his daughter once more.

Every time a person passes by Annie's Road at midnight they will supposedly see her ghost walking along the road, and she also is said to appear every year on the anniversary of her death. One witness described seeing Annie as: "When you see her she appears to be a rather short girl who is dressed all in white who usually wisps away shortly after appearing." Right beside the road at the east end is a cemetery where Annie is allegedly buried.
Jaz---

Holy cow! When I was a kid, I heard the same story near where I live. In our case, it was down one of the long country roads (I'm originally from Iowa). The girl in question, known as Lilac Lily (lilac was the color of her dress), was "parking" with her boyfriend after the prom and the story-required heavy drinking. He got too fresh, she stomped out and walked down the road. In his drunken haze, he drove too fast trying to find her and killed her when his car slid on the gravel road.

Ghost stalks at midnight, blah blah blah.

Another macabre one is from a local YMCA camp I went to as a kid. Allegedly some kid had drowned in the deep end of the pool one year. As a memory his parents had donated a large wooden cross. The cross was in the dining hall, although I serious doubt the veracity of the claims of its origins. Anyway, the story stated that if you put the cross in the shallow end of the pool it would float all the way to the deep end, right over the spot where the unfortunate kid had been found.

When I eventually became the counselor at that same camp, I spent many a night around a camp fire telling that same story to wide eyed kids. Those were the days...
All through high school I'd regularly hear an urban legend about a place called "gravity hill", and I eventually found out it had a grain of truth to it. The story went that supposedly a school bus had had a terrible accident on this country road, possibly stuck on train tracks, and that the children from the bus now haunted the road. If you went there, put your car in neutral and put baby powder on the bumper, the children would push the car up the hill and leave handprints on the bumper.

So one night when we had nothing to do, my buddies and I actually found someone who knew where the hill was. Spent most of the night driving through the middle of nowhere in NE PA and eventually got to the hill (though we forgot the powder). So I threw the trusty old Astrovan into neutral, and it actually did roll up the hill! Of course, when I heard the story I pictured a full fledged hill, and when we got there it was actually nowhere near a hill...an incline, but that's it.

Found out years later that many places have this type of thing, and usually it is even also called gravity hill, and isn't an incline at all, but just the illusion of one. But hey, it definitely provided a night of excitement for a bunch of 17 year olds.
Located near a swampy area Heartbeat Rd. is back woods road in NJ where albinos supposedly lived. Located in Lincoln Park, Heart Beat Rd. (actually Peace Valley Rd) gets its name because according to legend you can hear and feel the heartbeat of a local child with an oversized heart.

Over the years many people including myself have visited this road at night and have heard the heart beating.

Some of us knew that it was an old stone pump house a few yards into the swamp.
From what I understand, the beating has stopped.
After countless hours on Snopes.com, I think this one is my favorite:

(I think this is how it goes)
A teenage girl is babysitting for a family with two young children. Since the parents don't want to get into the habit of using television as a babysitter, they have one set in the house, and it is in the parents' bedroom. They tell the babysitter that after the children are asleep, she can watch TV in their room. She gets the children in bed, and after they are asleep, she goes into the bedroom to watch TV till the parents get home. The parents call to check to make sure everything is okay, and the babysitter tells them that the kids are fast asleep, and she's watching TV, but she wants to know if it's okay if she covers up that clown statue in the bedroom....it's creeping her out with that wild stare. They tell her to hang up the phone, gather the children, and leave the house immediately...they will call the police....they don't have a clown statue in the bedroom! Needless to say, the police have no trouble catching that psycho running down the street dressed as a clown!
My Turn....

It goes like this...

"A friend of mine went to a wedding last week and it was a beautiful ceremony. Everything seemed perfect and after a great dinner at the reception the bride stood up and was making toasts. At the very end she wanted to toast her brides made for sleeping with her groom to be and announced the wedding was off.

She then told everyone to reach under there seats and under each seat was a photo of the brides made and groom in bed, caught in the act!"

LOL... I've heard this one 3 times in my life.

Best,

Tim
She "called off" the wedding after the ceremony? That doesn't make sense.
Hi Opus,

The first key to any of these stories is that they contain a "long shot" or something that doesn't make sense. LOL

In this case the kicker is that the bride waited until after the wedding to embarrass her brides maid and groom.

Technically the wedding can still be called off no problem. It is not an official marriage until after it is consummated and thus is can be annulled.

Best,

Tim
OK.

A few of my favorites are The Mexican Pet, Lionel Ritchie's dogs, Bare-butt Skier, and the double-barrelled Roofer/Exploding Toilet stories.
My favorite comes from my youth. 7th grade. Someone had a tape recorder and played the song "Love Rollercoaster" over and over again on the bus to school, and we listened to the scream of a girl being murdered over and over again.

It's my favorite because it made such an impression on me back then. You can go to Snopes and hear the clip for yourselves. Great memory.
While not really an urban legend, this story is true, and relates to the Pop Rocks one, and is also a lesson for any of you scuba divers out there...

A couple of years ago, I went to EPCOT at Disney in Florida (okay, I go there a lot, but this story was from a few years ago). If you're a certified scuba diver, you can book a tour at The Living Seas pavilion; specifically, you can dive in the exhibit and be part of the show. One of the things in the exhibit is this diving bubble, or bell, with a Canadian flag on it (for those of you who've been there). Part of the dive allows you to go inside, take off your mask and regulator and be 30 feet down with no mask, etc. So where am I going with this?

During the orientation lecture, they told us that on a prior Thanksgiving holiday, some of the workers there packed up a turkey dinner and took it down there and they ate dinner in the diving bell. Problem is, one guy brought a Coke down there with him. No you divers know that drinking a Coke on the surface and then diving is not really a bright idea, but not horrible. But, drink it at depth and then surface, and all that gas expands in the stomach and intestines, and barf-ola. He lost his entire dinner shortly after surfacing.

Not a legend, but a cute true story, anyway; related to the Pop Rocks legend...
We only use 10%, or less, of our brain.

This one bothers me because I hear it quite often.
Wait at least 45 minutes after you eat before you go swimming.

How many times have you heard [i]that[/i] one?

Posted: May 30, 2008 2:36pm
Off route 280 in New Jersey there’s a story about an exit off ramp where a horrible car crash happened, everyone died including a little baby girl. If you come off this exit, and come down to the end of the ramp, at the stop sign, then put your car into neutral, it will roll backwards up the ramp. Spooky, weird and if I remember right, it really worked! But then, it was the seventies and maybe we were just very high? Either way, it's a popular story around these parts.
An in-city vortex effect, that's cool. I think there are many areas in the world where the landscape is such that it seems your car rolls uphill if placed in neutral. We have one in Oregon and people swear it's paranormal. Of course, people are never convinced by my mundane explanation of the effect, I guess reality is just too boring for some.
I love mystery spots/holes. One summer in college, a buddy and I drove all up and down the eastern seaboard trying to hit different magic roads we read about on the internet. The best by far was the gravity hill in Pennsylvania. Even knowing it was an illusion, it was just right that it felt like rolling uphill.
My fav with a magic twist is the "Gucci Kangaroo". Snopes has a few versions of it and it is the title of one of the early collections of urban legends in print.

Basically .. tourists to Australia go out driving in "the bush" and hit a big kangaroo with their car. The roo is there, sprawled across the road, so they first take a few close up photos and then decide it's an opportunity too good to miss. They prop the roo up against the front of the car and take some more shots with people standing next to it. Going one step further, they then drape a camera around it's neck, put cap on it's head and drape a jacket over it's back for a terrific fun photo. It's at this point that the stunned kangaroo becomes conscious again and bounds away into the bush with the expensive camera and jacket, containing wallets passport, car keys etc etc.

Now this story has been told in Australia since about 1900 and usually it's directed at visiting groups who need to be shown up a bit.
Retelling of the tale has included, English Cricketing team out here for the Test Series, Italian Sailing Team out for the Americas Cup Series (this is when it started being known as The Gucci Kangaroo ) and even the Rolling Stones.

So here's the Magic twist.

After Dai Vernon died, in a tribute article in Genii or Magic, Bruce Cervon told the story as if it had really happened to the Professor on his trip out here, as an example of the adventures he had had over his life. Now, I don't imagine in any way that Bruce told the story to show Vernon up. Presumably Dai had heard the story at some point and then retold it back home with himself as the hapless victim.)

Timothy

ps. if you look up Snopes, in the article is a transcript of Woody Allens "Moose" story, with a similar theme, which must rate as the most brilliantly crafted bit of comedy writing ever.
Not one superfluous word.

http://www.snopes.com/critters/malice/kangaroo.asp
Nice on MrHyde!
There is a similar one here where a hunter laid his rifle across a deer's antlers and the deer awoke a ran off with the gun.

Another.
A woman hunter shot a deer from a tree stand.
She left her gun on the stand, climbed down and tagged the buck.
Suddenly the buck gets up and runs.
Several shots are heard, the woman runs to the spot and sees another hunter ready to dress the buck.
She shouts, "Stop, that's my buck."
The hunter replies, "Are you nuts lady. You don't even have a gun."
"My tag is on the deer!", she says.
The man turns the deer over and sure enough there's her tag.
"I don't know how you did it lady but it's your kill."

One more.
Night after night a fellow heard scratching beneath his remote hunting cabin.
One day he noticed that it was a porcupine.
After several sleepless nights and several attempts to get rid of the creature he sees the animal by a pile of rocks a few yards from the cabin.
Thinking quickly, he sneaks up on the animal, pours gasoline on it and sets it afire.
The porcupine looking for refuge runs under the cabin which understandably burnt to the ground.
[quote]
On 2008-06-01 02:48, MrHyde wrote:
My fav with a magic twist is the "Gucci Kangaroo". Snopes has a few versions of it and it is the title of one of the early collections of urban legends in print.

Basically .. tourists to Australia go out driving in "the bush" and hit a big kangaroo with their car. The roo is there, sprawled across the road, so they first take a few close up photos and then decide it's an opportunity too good to miss. They prop the roo up against the front of the car and take some more shots with people standing next to it. Going one step further, they then drape a camera around it's neck, put cap on it's head and drape a jacket over it's back for a terrific fun photo. It's at this point that the stunned kangaroo becomes conscious again and bounds away into the bush with the expensive camera and jacket, containing wallets passport, car keys etc etc.

Now this story has been told in Australia since about 1900 and usually it's directed at visiting groups who need to be shown up a bit.
Retelling of the tale has included, English Cricketing team out here for the Test Series, Italian Sailing Team out for the Americas Cup Series (this is when it started being known as The Gucci Kangaroo ) and even the Rolling Stones.

So here's the Magic twist.

After Dai Vernon died, in a tribute article in Genii or Magic, Bruce Cervon told the story as if it had really happened to the Professor on his trip out here, as an example of the adventures he had had over his life. Now, I don't imagine in any way that Bruce told the story to show Vernon up. Presumably Dai had heard the story at some point and then retold it back home with himself as the hapless victim.)
[/quote]
I don't know if you know this or not, But this is actually the plot in a movie that was made a few years ago. The movie was "Kangaroo Jack". Not the greatest movie ever made but pretty funny. In the beginning the same exact events that you describe above take place except its not a camera that the 'roo runs off with, Its like $40,000 that belongs to a mob boss stuffed in a red hoodie. The rest of the movie consists of the main characters trying to get the money back.

I didn't know that there was an actual story behind it.

Thanks for all the great story's everyone!! I'm having a blast reading them.

Tim
[quote]
On 2008-05-26 03:03, Tim Jahn wrote:
I know of quite a few urban legends myself. I was hoping some of you could share a few that you know.

One of my favorites, That I remember from my childhood (25 years ago or so) is about the kid from the Life cereal commercials "Mikey". The story went that Mikey, (Apparently being an extreme sugar freak) Downed 5 or 6 cans of coke and chased it with a few packets of Pop Rocks candy. Apparently because of all the carbon dioxide being released from the candy and Coke, His poor stomach could not vent it fast enough and it exploded!! Mikey of course died from this.

Now this sound kind of funny, But when I was a kid this was a BIG deal. Every kid I knew was afraid to eat Pop Rocks and drink Coke and every parent banned Pop Rocks from their kids candy lists. This went on and was accepted as general FACT for quite a number of years until "Mikey", In is older incarnation (He was about 24 or so in this instance) Showed up in another Life cereal commercial!!! Well...Jaws hit the floor faster than Pop Rocks sales did when the whole incident started. No one could believe it was all a hoax. And a very serious hoax at that. Pop Rocks were actually taken off the market because of this whole thing.

Here's a link to the Pop Rocks website if anyone is interested.

http://www.poprockscandy.com/history.html

It actually has the whole history of the incident right there on the page.

Its amazing how these things can get started and then, Fueled by speculation and fear, They can grow into something that can actually get a product taken off the market.

Well... that's one of mine. Anyone else have one?

Tim
[/quote]
Mythbusters did a show where they did this using a goat stomach or something similar. Stomachs can expand a lot!
The story of the porcupine reminded me of one where two local idiots went out fox hunting, hillbilly style. They find a fox, capture it, tie a stick of dynamite to the poor creature and light the fuse. Once the poor animal was released, they watched it running around in fright while pretending to chase it. Of course, what they were really waiting for was the piece of dynamite to explode. The dynamite went off alright, but not before the fox tried to escape by hiding under their truck! Bye, bye fox, bye bye truck, and a looong walk home for our country hicks! ;)

My other favorite is the one where two guys were stranded in the middle of nowhere after spending the day doing target practice because the fuse for the ignition blew in their truck (do I see a pattern here?). At any rate, one of the fella's gets a bright idea and uses one of the bullets as a makeshift fuse. Incredibly, it works! As they're driving home, however, the bullet heats up and goes off, wounding one of them in the leg! Interestingly, the Mythbusters did prove that this urban legend is plausible!
The most disturbing one I've heard is actually true, woman was on a cruise ship which had vacuum toilets, flushed while sitting down and several feet of her digestive tract were pulled out of her. They docked in. I think it was Vancouver but can't really recall, and she was rushed to hospital where an emergency surgery put it all back. Just recently saw this on a TV Show Urban Legends where they give two false stories and a real one, and reveal which is which at the end.

Going to have to think to think a bit before I decide my favorite..

Though another interesting one was the lawyer who threw himself against the skyscraper windows because they were shatterproof and he liked to freak out the interns with it. That is until the window popped out of its frame and he feel to his death...
I tried to think of one...but they are all true.

Well there was one but Al Gore has a lock on that nonsense.
[quote]
On 2008-06-02 20:56, Preston68 wrote:

Mythbusters did a show where they did this using a goat stomach or something similar. Stomachs can expand a lot!
[/quote]
Yeah I saw it!!! I belive it was a pig's stomach. Just goes to show how popular that particular tale was. Like I said, When I was a kid, It was gospel. No one even doubted it.

Another of my favorites is the story about the kids song "Ring Around the Rosie".
Apparently this song was originally sung about the Bubonic Plague.

"Ring around the Rosie,
Pocket full of posies.
Ashes, Ashes, We all fall down".

The ring is suppose to symbolize the red rings that appeared on your flesh with the onset of the disease.
The pocket full of posies is to symbolize the flowers and herbs that were apparently carried to ward off evil spirits.
The ashes, Ashes part is because they used to burn the bodies of the people who died of the plague.
And the "We all fall down" part is fairly self explanatory.

Now I've read a few times that no one really knows from where the song was originated or what exactly its about. But if you read the lyrics it sort of makes sense to believe that it is about the plague.

Great posts everyone!! Lets keep it going!!!

Tim
Did you know that the Twelve days of Christmas is really a holy song that was made up by the English. I can't remember the whole story but they were held captive by non christians and in order to keep their faith they made up the song. If you study it you will see all the relegious meanings. Jesus is the Partridge in the Pare Tree, etc.
[quote]During the orientation lecture, they told us that on a prior Thanksgiving holiday, some of the workers there packed up a turkey dinner and took it down there and they ate dinner in the diving bell. Problem is, one guy brought a Coke down there with him. No you divers know that drinking a Coke on the surface and then diving is not really a bright idea, but not horrible. But, drink it at depth and then surface, and all that gas expands in the stomach and intestines, and barf-ola. He lost his entire dinner shortly after surfacing.[/quote]
Last night I was watching a show on Spike TV about 1000 ways to die. The show was actually telling stories about some of the unusual ways people have actually died.

One of the stories was about of group of men who flew to a resort to do some scuba diving. After they were done diving, they flew home. The problem was that it was a private plane and the man flying it was one of the divers. After reaching an altitude of about 10,000 feet, all of the men got a case of nitrogen narcosis, better known as "the bends"! They were doubled over in pain and passing out. The plane smashed into the side of a mountain. THE END! ;)
Actually nitrogen narcosis is when one dives too deep (generally around 120 feet using compressed air in the tank as opposed to other mixtures) and the nitrogen in the air has a narcotic effect, leading one to feel sort of drunk. It is also called "rapture of the deep".

The bends on the other hand, is decompression sickness (no real medical term I'm aware of) and is a result of Henry's Law of gases whereby the nitrogen in solution in the blood is subjected to a quick drop in ambient pressure, causing that nitrogen to come out of solution (bubbles) and that nitrogen tends to collect in the joints, hence the name.

If this legend of the pilots is true....

1) They're pretty dumb because any diver (and ESPECIALLY the pilot) knows not to fly generally within 24 hours of completing a dive

2) It would be the bends, not nitrogen narcosis (the latter has caused people to try to give a regulator to a fish at depth, but does not cause doubled over pain).

One of the reasons I took a real scuba course of a number of weeks rather than a 1 day resort course - I like my life, and while scuba diving is generally considered safe, it is only safe if you know what you're doing...
[quote]
On 2008-05-30 14:36, Justin Style wrote:
Off route 280 in New Jersey there’s a story about an exit off ramp where a horrible car crash happened, everyone died including a little baby girl. If you come off this exit, and come down to the end of the ramp, at the stop sign, then put your car into neutral, it will roll backwards up the ramp. Spooky, weird and if I remember right, it really worked! But then, it was the seventies and maybe we were just very high? Either way, it's a popular story around these parts.
[/quote]
I'm not sure you were high: maybe it's one of those streets where a strange optical illusion occurs. The conformation of the land is particular and what at the sight seems a street going down is in reality going up. Here's an example from an Italian place, Montagnaga: [url]http://stor.altervista.org/varie/mont/mont.htm[/url]
The car in the 7th picture is in neutral position, and it's going "upwards". The illusion is based on the angle between the 2 streets converging at that stop sign.

Dave
This one is really true, I've seen it! It's not a Limbaugh...

My friend Joe C. showed me a box of these mummified rats, all in a circle, with their tails all tied into a central knot.

He said it was the "Rat King". I thought it was gross. He laughed and said no, it really WAS the "Rat King"

I know he was giving me shift.

The ****** rats were real though.

How they got that way, I don't know.

It wasn't funny. It was disgusting.

Rat King my A55!
[quote]The bends on the other hand, is decompression sickness (no real medical term I'm aware of) and is a result of Henry's Law of gases whereby the nitrogen in solution in the blood is subjected to a quick drop in ambient pressure, causing that nitrogen to come out of solution (bubbles) and that nitrogen tends to collect in the joints, hence the name.

If this legend of the pilots is true....

1) They're pretty dumb because any diver (and ESPECIALLY the pilot) knows not to fly generally within 24 hours of completing a dive

2) It would be the bends, not nitrogen narcosis (the latter has caused people to try to give a regulator to a fish at depth, but does not cause doubled over pain).

One of the reasons I took a real scuba course of a number of weeks rather than a 1 day resort course - I like my life, and while scuba diving is generally considered safe, it is only safe if you know what you're doing...[/quote]
In the story, which was tauted as true, the men were at the resort to scuba-dive, not to take lessons. They also flew home on the same day they went diving.

The story also went on to tell the viewer about the men who worked on the Brooklyn Bridge (at least I THINK it was the Brooklyn Bridge) who would work in a platform that was about 75ft below the level of the river. Upon coming up, many of them would get the bends. Unfortunately, no one at the time knew what it was or how to treat it. Even the designer of the bridge, who went on an inspection tour, came down with it and suffered the rest of his life. I have seen other shows on this bridge that mentioned it as well. Interestingly, another bridge maker in California was encountering the same problem and discovered that having the workers ascend slowly managed to resolve the problem.

You are right about the bends not being nitrogen narcosis. Looked both of them up on wikipedia. Don't know why, but I always thought they were the same thing and nobody has ever corrected me on it.

Here's an interesting question I just thought about: Do miners get the bends? Does it require being in the presence of water to get it? I have never heard of the bends in relation to mining activities.

After re-reading the description for the bends, it mentions all of the above points, including the fact that miners can get the bends under the right conditions as well as the stories about the Brooklyn Bridge and its project leader, Washington Roebling. Here is the link: [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decompression_sickness]Decompression Sickness[/url]

Here is a link to the show on [url=http://www.spike.com/show/27237]1000 ways to die[/url].
1000 ways to die is definately a crazy show. Did anyone see the one where the guy working on his pickup got severed in two by a semi? The stories on this post are very interesting.
An urban legend has frequently been circulated that Pia Zadora once starred in a production of The Diary of Anne Frank, in which her performance was so bad that an audience member yelled "She's in the attic!" when the Nazis showed up. Zadora has, in fact, never acted in a production of The Diary of Anne Frank;
My favorite urban legend would have to be the one started by four San Francisco reporters in the late 19th century. They were trying to save their jobs, and they were so desperate for a big story, they had decided to make something up.

Most of their ideas weren't feasible, because they all had some points that could be verified one way or another. They finally decided to come up with a story about China, since any facts would be difficult to check.

The story they came up with was that the Chinese government was going to demolish the Great Wall of China in order to open up trade with the western world. They said they found this out from several construction workers from Denver who were passing through San Francisco on their way to take part in the project.

Since the reporters worked for different papers, this story was given credence by the number of SF papers reporting on it. It was quickly picked up by national papers, and the story eventually spread to Europe and, yes, China.

What the reporters didn't know about China was that they were facing a rebellious group that was concerned about China focusing too much on the rest of the world. This group was known as the boxers.

When this urban legend of the Great Wall of China being torn down reached China, this was all the evidence they needed that it was time for rebellion.

The result was the now-famous Boxer Rebellion in China. When it was found that the story was phony, and that it was largely responsible for affecting world events as it did, the four reporters lost their jobs anyway.
Whatta cool thread! Kay, I'm Irish (if I ever get a pic of me up on here you'll see for yourself), so here's an Irish Urban Legend:

We Irish are very superstitious... especially when you get really far into the country side. For example, the further away from the city you get, the windier (sp?) the roads are. In fact, even in places where the road could have been made straight, it still has an amazing amount of curves and turns. The reason is... ghosts will not haunt a crooked road. They only haunt the straight ones!
[quote]
On 2008-06-30 20:07, SillverFoxx wrote:
Whatta cool thread! Kay, I'm Irish (if I ever get a pic of me up on here you'll see for yourself), so here's an Irish Urban Legend:

We Irish are very superstitious... especially when you get really far into the country side. For example, the further away from the city you get, the windier (sp?) the roads are. In fact, even in places where the road could have been made straight, it still has an amazing amount of curves and turns. The reason is... ghosts will not haunt a crooked road. They only haunt the straight ones!
[/quote]
That's very interesting. What is the reasoning behind that I wonder?
[quote]
On 2008-07-01 23:12, Bill Nuvo wrote:

That's very interesting. What is the reasoning behind that I wonder?
[/quote]
I'm not sure, I just know that ghosts only haunt the straight roads... quite the preventative measure if you ask me!

Here's another little Irish superstition... fairies/sprites/leprechauns/etc. follow very specific travel paths. If you happen to own a house that is built on one of these paths, you have to make sure that your walls have some kind of opening so you do not stop the flow of traffic. People actually have houses where if there is a door or window on one wall, there has to be another door or window on the wall exactly opposite of it so it can be opened and allow the fairy travel plans to continue. If you don't do it this way, the fairies will knock down your wall and blast through the other side. :patty:
So is that some sort of Irish Feng Shui? LOL
[quote]
On 2008-07-02 09:13, Bill Nuvo wrote:
So is that some sort of Irish Feng Shui? LOL
[/quote]
Yah! Something like that!! LOL!
My wife and I went to Ireland on our honeymoon. SillverFoxx is right about the roads- not only do they twist and turn everywhere, I don't think I saw a single road sign outside of Dublin. If we hadn't rented a GPS, we'd probably still be driving around, looking for the first Bed and Breakfast.

It makes me think that the spirits only haunt the straight roads, because they get lost trying to find the curvey ones.

-Erik
Yeah, I was so confused at which gps to get. I wanted one that plugged into cig lighter, text to speech, and that was portable. My friends have the tomtom one xl and so I am looking into that one. Has anyone seen them cheaper than u2buy4less or elex4less? I don't buy from ebay...bad experience, so if you have seen them cheaper than these places, let me know.
Thanks!
Message: Posted by: The Village Idiots (Jul 21, 2008 05:45PM)
I have two but for now I'll just share one.

My aunt has a co-worker (that's how they start where I'm from) who went on vacation to the caribbean with her husband. They had a wonderful time until on the last day someone broke into their room and stole their wallets and jewelry but left their nice camera. They felt lucky to have all of their memories still intact on film. Several days after arriving home they had the film developed and found photos of the theives dark bottoms with their tooth brushes inserted.
A friend of a friend woke up one morning with a sore spot on her cheek. Looking in the mirror she noticed a small raised red bump. Over the next several days it grew and became very sore.She went to the doctor who lanced it where upon a large amount of baby spiders crawled out.

A friend of a friends daughter slept over at her girl friends house. When she woke in the morning she had a painfull earache. A doctor exam revealed a large cockroach wedged in her ear.

True story ...a local cop trained his Bloodhound to track and about 12 years ago was able to track a Bigfoots scent over a period of 2 days on his days off. It was in the local paper and I used to see this guy in the local conveince store.
I tried the Pop Rocks and Coke:) All it does is pop all the rocks at once. It is actually kind of a pleasant sting...
So let me tell you how I lost my oldest sister.
My little sister used to have nightmares, so we let the dog sleep in her room.
She would wake up in the dark, and the dog would lick her hand to let her know he was there.
One weekend my parents took me to Vegas to try out as an assistant to Lance Burton. My older sister was supposed to be watching my little sister. She went over to this boys house though and came back late. My little sister was already asleep.
My little sister woke up in the middle of the night and she felt the dogs tongue on her hand.
The next morning she woke up and went in to the hallway bathroom to discover my older sister hanging, gutted, from the shower rod, and the dog as well.
On the wall, written in blood was this phrase: "People can lick too."
This was my favorite from when I was younger:

"HUMANS CAN LICK TOO
A young teenage girl lived at home with her mother, father and her much loved pet dog.

Being 16 years old her parents decided that she was now old enough to be left alone without a minder while they went out for the evening. Although there was some concern about leaving a young girl in a house all by herself, they knew she was sensible and would behave. And besides, she did have the pet Alsatian dog to look after her and keep her company.

The parents left for the night, leaving Emergency phone numbers and supplies for the night. The girl was thrilled to be spending her first night alone in her parents house and mainly watched TV until 11.00 rolled round.

Deciding she was tired she moved upstairs to her comfy bedroom to retire for the night. Her trusty Alsatian dog following her all the time.

After being asleep for a short time she awoke to a dripping noise coming from the bathroom. Not afraid, but curious as to what the noise was she lowered her hand down beside her bed to gain a little comfort from the Alsatian. She felt the warmth of his soft tongue as he licked her hand, showing her that he was O.K and that everything would be alright. Feeling assured she drifted off to sleep once more.

Waking once again to the sounds of the dripping tap, or whatever it was, in the bathroom she instinctively dropped her hand down to pet her dog. Once again her dog offered up the loyal companionship that only a much trusted and loved pet can, and licked her hand and she once again fell asleep.

For the last time she woke up again, that annoying noise was still going, she reached for her dog but found he wasn't there. Wondering where her parents were at this time of night (it was about 3.30am by this time) and looking for her dog she walked out into the bathroom.

A horrifying sight met her, the dog had been mutilated and was creating the dripping noise, as blood slowly fell and pooled on the floor below. Screaming she ran back through the house and attempted to call the police. The phone was dead, and she turned to suddenly see her parents also mutilated behind her. Her screams could be heard as she looked down at a note written in blood, it read:
"Humans Can Lick Too My Beautiful".

She then runs madly for the stairs only to see a black figure waiting with open arms to catch her."
*In a high-pitched squeal*

EWWWWWW!!!!
Great guys... I'll have nightmares forever now!
This one is True:
Construction worker Andrew Jepson from Wolverhampton. Jepson was working on a noisy building site at Heathrow airport when a steamroller came up behind him and landed on his foot. The control lever malfunctioned and the helpless driver ended up rolling over Jepson. But amazingly, Jepson survived with only a few bruises and broken ribs, when the four-ton roller should have flattened him. “I can’t explain how I managed to survive it,” Jepson says. “It doesn’t seem humanly possible.

The steam Roller ran ove his whole body not jus the foot BTW. How lucky is he?
Take care all
I've been doing storytelling programs on urban legends for about ten years, and have actually had some run-ins with the stories.

Some years ago, my wife went to New Jersey for company training. During a self-defense lecture, someone stated that the local mall was dangerous, because gang kids would hide under your car, slash your ankle when you went back to your vehicle, and rob you. When my wife returned to the Central Valley, she told me that story and said "it sounds like one of those urban legends you talk about."

Two days later, at a mall in Clovis, CA, we met a friend of ours who said she wouldn't shop at the mall in Fresno, because kids were hiding under cars, slashing the fronts of ankles, and robbing people. I tried to explain that it was just a story, and there had been nothing in the papers, but she claimed "they" had hushed it up so people wouldn't stop shopping at that mall, but she knew about it, so she wouldn't shop there.

Another two days later, an article in The Fresno Bee stated that there had been no ankle-slashings at the mall in Fresno, and it was just a rumor.

What fascinated me was how the story had traveled from New Jersey to California intact, with only the location changed. Some interesting details even survived the trip: The attackers slashed the FRONT of the victim's ankle, when slashing the back of the ankle would sever the tendons and hamstring the attackee.

Terrance V. Mc Arthur
The Librician
Strange but true irony...

Frank Everhart, who made Sam the Bellhop a staple in his act, passed away a few years ago. The time of death....6:54pm.

We will miss you forever Mr. Everhart. Bless your soul.
[quote]
On 2008-06-03 01:08, Drakmor Kain wrote:
The most disturbing one I've heard is actually true, woman was on a cruise ship which had vacuum toilets, flushed while sitting down and several feet of her digestive tract were pulled out of her. They docked in. I think it was Vancouver but can't really recall, and she was rushed to hospital where an emergency surgery put it all back. Just recently saw this on a TV Show Urban Legends where they give two false stories and a real one, and reveal which is which at the end.
[/quote]
I heard a version of this (on a cruise ship) around ten years ago...

The woman flushed the toilet and was pulled down into it just enough that she couldn't break the suction. So she yells for help and the first guy to respond (a passenger) happens to be wearing a cowboy hat, so he gives it to her and she places it on her lap to cover herself. A few minutes later the ship's maintenance crew shows up.

The guy from the maintenance crew takes one look at her and says, "Lady, I can get you out of there, but that cowboy's history."
[quote]
On 2008-05-28 11:53, 0pus wrote:
OK.

A few of my favorites are The Mexican Pet, Lionel Ritchie's dogs, Bare-butt Skier, and the double-barrelled Roofer/Exploding Toilet stories.
[/quote]
The Mexican Pet was used in a movie; "Adventurer In Babysitting" where the plot-device best friend, having lost her glasses in a downtown bus station, tries to befriend what she thinks is a little cat, only to be told (while she's holding it) what it really is!
[quote]
Here's an interesting question I just thought about: Do miners get the bends? Does it require being in the presence of water to get it? I have never heard of the bends in relation to mining activities.
[/quote]
It's not "water" per se, it's working under pressure. If the pressure is relieved too quickly, nitrogen bubbles can form and cause pain and sometimes death. Mines aren't under pressure so they don't have that problem.
I just thought of one. It's up there with the spiders and the cockroach so brace yourself because this one is also true.

I used to work as a typesetter for a company that did medical newsletters; The Cardiology Times, The Orthomology Times and The Radiology Times. I typed a lot of stories for these three papers but this one stuck in my mind.

Lady goes out camping. It's a beautiful night so she eschews the tent and sleeps under the stars. She wakes up the next morning with a headache centering on her right eye. A few days later, she notices the "floaters" most people have in their eyes, the one she spots has changed from a straight to a curved shape. She sees the doctor and it seems a fly had landed in her eye during the night in the woods and laid eggs which were beginning to hatch! She had to have her eye removed!
Then there was the Boy Scout who boasted about his wilderness survival skills, who was challenged to spend three days on his own. Really hungry, he swallowed some leathery eggs he found, but it didn't help.. When the three days were over, he claimed to have lived like a king as he lived off the land.
Back home, he didn't feel good, and got sicker. On Saturday, one of his friends dropped by at the house but found the boy dead, with a fully-grown rattlesnake crawling out of his mouth!

Posted: Feb 1, 2009 9:33pm
This one has been around as long as elevators, and even was turned int a "Twilight Zone" episode, but I added a news-linked twist:

A woman has dreams where a black, horse-drawn hearse comes up the drive and stops beneath her window. The driver looks up at her and says, "There's room for one more." The dream happens repeatedly during the night.
In the morning, she takes the train and subway into the city, then gets out at her stop. As she rushes for the elevator, she hears a strangely-familiar voice saying, "There's room for one more." There, in the elevator, is the hearse driver from her dreams!
She backs away, and the doors close. She turns around and heads home, out of New York City, out of the World Trade Center on September 11, 2001......9-11.

Unpleasant dreams, friends.
"Bloody Mary," "Mary Worth," and "Calling a Ghost" all involved standing in front of a mirror and invoking a name or phrase repeatedly (99 times is a classic number). The ghost appears in the mirror, but tries to scratch you or drag you into the mirror.

Telling that story to Spanish-speaking children, I was told of La Llorona, The Crying Woman, a single mother who drowned her children for love of a rich man. If you call her name over still water, she will appear...and try to drown you.

Clive Barker took the idea of urban legends and the ghost-invoking theme, turning it into a story called "Candyman." It became a movie about a hook-handed runaway slave who would come through a mirror. Now, in African-American areas where I have worked in teh San Joaquin Valley, the children do not recognize it as a literary or movie source created by a British horror writer, but consider it a part of their own folklore!
This one isn't anywhere as good as most of the previous ones, but I've heard it a gazillion times and wonder where it came from.

Vidalia onions: "Some people have been known to eat them like apples." I've never heard of anyone actually doing it, but the story just seems to go on and on. Is this true? :)
[quote]
On 2008-06-30 20:07, SillverFoxx wrote:

[/quote]
In regards to crooked roads, the Chinese also believe that ghosts cannot haunt a crooked road, as there is one road here in New York City's Chinatown, Doyer Street, crooked as a dogs leg and according to local Asian legend, built that way specifically for the purpose of keeping ghosts away... Personally I don't consider it superstion....I consider it fact...

Cheers,
Mark
Here is an Urban Legend that in some ways has contributed to one of the highest death tolls in world history. It was started as a Fictional story, later used in a propaganda campaign and over time was construed as truth. Those who distributed it claim that it documents a Jewish conspiracy to dominate the world. Even though the Protocols are entirely a work of fiction and despite the fact that, on many occasions, it has been proven as false, it is still being spread and accepted as true today. Thus the Urban Legend “The Protocols of the Elders of Zion” was started and continues to this day.

The Origin of The Protocols

In 1903, portions of The Protocols of the Elders of Zion were serialized in a Russian newspaper, Znamya (The Banner). The version of the Protocols that has endured and has been translated into dozens of languages, however, was first published in Russia in 1905 as an appendix to The Great in the Small: The Coming of the Anti-Christ and the Rule of Satan on Earth, by Russian writer and mystic Sergei Nilus.

Although the exact origin of the Protocols is unknown, its intent was to portray Jews as conspirators against the state. In 24 chapters, or protocols, allegedly minutes from meetings of Jewish leaders, the Protocols "describes" the "secret plans" of Jews to rule the world by manipulating the economy, controlling the media, and fostering religious conflict.

Following the Russian Revolution of 1917, anti-Bolshevik émigrés brought the Protocols to the West. Soon after, editions circulated across Europe, the United States, South America, and Japan. An Arabic translation first appeared in the 1920s.

Beginning in 1920, auto magnate Henry Ford's newspaper, The Dearborn Independent, published a series of articles based in part on the Protocols. The International Jew, the book that included this series, was translated into at least 16 languages. Both Adolf Hitler and Joseph Goebbels, later the Nazi Minister of Propaganda, praised Ford and The International Jew. It is said that Hitler even hung a portrait of Ford in his office to pay homage to him for translating the Protocols into German.

Fraud Exposed

In 1921, the London Times presented conclusive proof that the Protocols were a "clumsy plagiarism." The Times confirmed that the Protocols had been copied in large part from a French political satire that never mentioned Jews -- Maurice Joly's Dialogue in Hell Between Machiavelli and Montesquieu (1864). Other investigations revealed that one chapter of a Prussian novel, Hermann Goedsche's Biarritz (1868), also "inspired" the Protocols.

Also in 1935, a Swiss court fined two Nazi leaders for circulating a German-language edition of the Protocols in Berne, Switzerland. The presiding justice at the trial declared the Protocols "libelous," "obvious forgeries," and "ridiculous nonsense."

The U.S. Senate issued a report in 1964 declaring that the Protocols were "fabricated." The Senate called the contents of the Protocols "gibberish" and criticized those who "peddled" the Protocols for using the same propaganda technique as Hitler.

In 1993, a Russian court ruled that Pamyat, a far-right nationalist organization, had committed an anti-Semitic act by publishing the Protocols.
This is another (like The Mexican Pet and Room for One More) which was featured in the Scary Stories series.

Three men share a room in a retirement home, their beds in a line. There is one window in the room, on the southern-most wall. When the man whose bed is closest to the window dies, the other two men move over one bed, so that the man who was in the middle is now next to the wall and can see out the window. He describes to the other man (now in the middle) the wondruous sights he sees: horse-drawn carriages, street carnivals, newspaper men, peddlers, friends and lovers.

The man in the middle decides that he must see these things for himself. He murders the other man by taking a bottle of the man's medication, grinding it up, and tainting his food with it to cause him to accidentally overdose. When he takes the bed by the window for himself, he looks out the window with anticipation. The window is completely bricked up. No one has seen anything out of that window for years.
Our dear friends at the KGB and now the SVR have spread some good ones:

- Americans adopt children from third world countries for extra parts - organ donations.
- Conspiracy theories about the JFK assassination were spread.
- Fabrication of the story that AIDS virus was manufactured by US scientists at Fort Detrick; the story was spread by Russian-born biologist Jakob Segal.
- Exaggerations about the CIA involvement in the drug trade. Specifically the silly notion certain populations were targeted.
- The myth of nuclear winter; Carl Sagan's ego was stroked for this one. Calculations and computer models using this errant data (Created out of whole cloth in the bowels by Service A of the KGB's First Chief Directorate, Department X) seed the 'study' of and conclusions reached on the anthropogenic global warming hypothesis.

http://intellit.muskingum.edu/russia_folder/pcw_era/sect_03.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_Measures
Sergei O. Tretyakov: Comrade J - by Pete Earley (C)2007

Graham
Well since I live in Chicago it has to be Resurrection Mary
The story of the vanishing hitchhiker always begins with someone stopping to pick up a beautiful young lady hitchhiking on the side of the road. The young girl climbs in the backseat of the car and passes along an address before falling into a deep silence. When the driver arrives at the house he discovers that the woman has disappeared. He asks at the house and is told that the girl died 15, or 20 years before and always appears on the anniversary of her death. The story has dozens of versions around the world, and in Chicago the vanishing hitchhiker story is known as Resurrection Mary.
There is even a Movie about this
A version of the non-existent view from a window is used by Lawrence Block in his writers guide Telling
Lies for Fun and Profit:
"Consider Mark Hellinger’s “The Window.” Three bedridden women share a room at a
sanitarium. One, by right of seniority, has her bed next to the window. Day after day she
recounts to the others what she sees through the window—little daily dramas in the lives of
children playing outside, lovers quarreling and making up, the changing seasons, birds flying
south, and so on.
Then she dies. The woman who’s been there the longest after her inherits her spot, and the
other woman moves up one, and a new woman is moved into the room, and the woman who’s
got the window now is very excited to see what she’s been hearing about for years, and she
looks out the window, and—surprise!—it opens on a blank wall. And surprise! she looks at it
for a couple of seconds and then proceeds to tell what she sees, the children playing, the
woman sweeping her porch steps, the buds on the trees, making up stories for her roommates’
entertainment just as her predecessor did."
Message: Posted by: The Great Zoobini (May 12, 2011 01:09AM)
Late one night, Italian thieves struck a train. They gassed the whole car putting everyone to sleep and then proceeded to rob them. When two girls awoke, not only had they been cleaned out but they also had each other's clothes on!

This story has been passed around Europe for years and years...
This one was popular in the 70s and most likely created by a rival advertising company(Product): Bubble Yum@ the chewing bubble gum had spider eggs in the product which would hatch in you stomach!
http://www.snopes.com/horrors/food/bubbleyum.asp
I haven't read all of the posts here to see if this has been mentioned. Sorry if it has.

Mr. Rogers was a 'Nam hardened Navy SEAL. The reason he always wore long sleeves is because his arms were covered in tattoos.
Once a crew member tried to play a prank on him by hiding naked in the closet while Fred was filming his dressing scene.
Fred Rogers performed the scene perfectly without even batting an eye at the naked crew member.

An alternate version of this story from before 'NAM and the SEALs was that he was a Marine Sniper. 8th in the world for kills if I remember right.
"If someone is an undercover cop posing as a drug dealer or prostitute, and you ask them if they are a cop, they have to tell you the truth."
This and a lot of cop myths get passed around the hippie and counterculture communities.
Here's another Chicago story:

Between Oak Street Beach and North Avenue beach there's a lakeside path great for sunbathing, dog walking, and even jumping in and swimming for anyone with enough courage or confidence.

A late middle age man walked his large, strong dog -- at the end of an over-sized long leash -- one gloomy overcast afternoon. Suddenly, for some unknown reason, the dog ran around the man several times, playfully wrapping the leash tightly around his owner's legs. And then, as the man fought to retain his balance, the dog jumped into the lake, dragging his owner behind him.

The dog was large and strong, so it had no apparent trouble reversing the decision and climbing the steep rocks out of the lake. But the owner's legs, still wrapped up in the leash, were dragged up on the rocks, while his head and shoulders remained below. He drowned, held upside down by his large, strong, friendly dog.

Some claim this is an urban legend. Some insist they read it in the Chicago Tribune at some point in the early 1990s.
Message: Posted by: Some_Magical_Idiot (Jul 3, 2017 01:58PM)
These are great!