(Close Window)
Topic: Best Torn and Restored Newspaper
I know there are several topics on various methods on the T&R newspaper, but none of them really sit down and discusses all of them as a whole.

I understand the term "best" can be different for different people, but as for me I really just want to be able to tear the paper in front of the audience and restore it without any funny moves or trailmarks (like a different page than what you begin with, etc.).

The ones I am looking at are:

Better Newspaper Tear Robert Baxt
Torn And Restored Newspaper by Joel Bauer
Torn and Restored Newspaper (9 Amazing Methods) - DVD
No Tear Torn and Restored Newspaper
Torn And Restored Newspaper (World's Greatest Magic) - DVD
Torn & Restored Newspaper DVD by Gene Anderson Greater Magic,
Harlan's No Tape, No Glue, No Scissors, 20-second Setup Torn & Restored Newspaper Instant Download

Which methods are your favorite? Are there any methods I didn't list that you would suggest for a small stage performance? I really like No Tear but all of the performances I've seen involved torn pieces prior to the show, never torn infront of the audience.

P.S. I already know about Tear Down. It is too obvious for my tastes.
I've seen baxt, bauer, and Anderson.

Anderson is the harder reset but the absolute best.
Bauer's is great if you need immediate reset but certainly has its shortcomings.

Baxt gimmick can be used instead of the Anderson gimmick for the Anderson tear.

Baxt tear also comes with the no-nonsense, disappearing "hilarious routine".
You pop in the DVD and *POOF* the hilarious routine is instantly gone. I cannot stand false advertising. There is no hiliarious routine. There was (almost) no routine at all. I thought the routine was the explanation. Literally.
It's that bad.

The setup for the Baxt, as shown, made the real Anderson tear look all that much more magical and miraculous.

I doubt anyone likes the Baxt routine (since there really isn't one). I doubt that anyone thinks the setup equals the Anderson setup in terms of effect, but many like the gimmick and that it can be used in Anderson's setup. Some will like the setup because it's easier than the Anderson.

If you watch all the thinking that goes into Anderson's every move (on the anderson DVD) it's head and shoulders above what the baxt offers. You almost need both to get the full benefit out of the baxt version.

And Bauer's is the one you'll run down to the garage and start trying immediately. It's easy enough to do that it's kind of fun to try a few times.

The Anderson tear is the real work!
To me the favorite comes about dealing with what act I am performing. If I am producing my dove at the end, Slidini's fit best. If I am going to put more time in the show and let it be examined, Richard Osterlind's is best. If I need to do it multiple times at a fair, Joel Bauer's is best.
The Gene Anderson version, from what I hear, is taught in Ben Salinas' Torn and Restored Newspaper (9 Amazing Methods) - DVD . However, it is sold out everywhere I looked. Does anyone know where I can pick it up?
Yes, I have that DVD too. I like it better than World's Greatest Magic Newspaper DVD. I would advise you to call a magic shop to order it for you.
I found it on ebay. Thanks for your help!
My two favorites are the Gene Anderson T&R Newspaper and the Robert Harbin T&R Newspaper. That said, the only one that I use is the Anderson tear.
What can I say they are all good. But in years I found my own method to do the T&R.

And so far I using my own. Couse setup is simple and fast!
[quote]
On 2008-05-28 10:25, Vangorn wrote:
The Gene Anderson version, from what I hear, is taught in Ben Salinas' Torn and Restored Newspaper (9 Amazing Methods) - DVD . However, it is sold out everywhere I looked. Does anyone know where I can pick it up?
[/quote]

Was Ben authorized to teach this version?
Don't know if was authorized to teach it. Ben also teaches his favorite on the DVD. It is similiar to Anderson's.
I'm not sure if Ben is authorized, as I have yet to receive the DVD. However, I wasn't aware that it was a Magic Makers product until after I bought the product, and I have heard some nasty things about them. This is my first MM product though, so I guess I'll have to wait and see.
Anderson version has my vote. Worth the set-up everytime. A killer visual effect.
Get the "Newspaper Magic" book, if it is still around. Maybe from Magic, Inc.?

Give it it's due. Practice, rehearse and respect it. Otherwise, ya better watch your back (!?!?)

Good Luck with it.

John
The Anderson Newspaper verson on DVD is put out by Stevens Magic at http://www.stevensmagic.com

Everything Magic Makers sells is only a copy and sometimes a poor copy. I dought you will be getting the Anderson version competely, as they do change things a little.

Example, they sell a no tear newspaper on DVD but they paper clip the pieces together. When the paper is restored it is should have been called the vanishing paper clip trick. :)
Let me put in a plug for the No Tear Torn & Restored Version. You mentioned that you liked it, so I suppose you know how simple the gimmick is. You mentioned that all the presentations of this has had pretorn papers. Actually in the directions Tony Stevens has two routines. Routine one is the No Tear version, which is the routines that you have seen. Routine two, as described in the directions "is the same as effect one, only you tear a newspaper in front of the audience before restoring it." I suppose this would make it the Torn No Tear Version. Anyway - you can do what you want to do, which is tear the newspaper, with the No Tear version.
Most people like the flash appearance. JB's No Tear can be performed that way.
The Gene Anderson version is still the best, IMHO. The time it takes to set up is still worth the effort.
Im pretty fond of Abbotts center tear. It gives you a large area of visible restoration but it isn't the protocol of the Anderson tear which has been done...well, a lot. Its great. Its a favorite. Its a classic. Just saying I like a slight variation on the familiar trick.
That would be the "Neil Foster Center Tear" available from Abbott's. And it is a fantastic effect.

Yes, the Anderson tear has been done alot...because it is a top notch visual effect which really defies explanation-properly presented. Great talking or to music.

As always, the choice is yours.
Alright, I got the DVD and my final thoughts are fairly positive.

While Ben goes through 9 of the different techniques, only half of them are any good. Of those good ones, the Gene Anderson version is included, which is AWSOME! Ben also gives his modified version of the Anderson method, but I still prefer the original.

People said that Magicmakers don't credit sources. While I can't say for the other 7 versions given, Ben made it very well known that Gene Anderson created the shown newspaper tear. Addtionally, I felt the teaching was very well done, and the DVD quality exceptional.
In my opinion, the best newspaper tear method is determined by how it is used.
If you are not concerned with angles and are just presenting it as a stand alone trick, you would be hard pressed to find one better than Gene Anderson’s. When I first saw it I was a small boy (and still a layman) and was completely blown away by Doug Henning’s presentation on Broadway and on TV. The power of the flash restoration should not be overlooked.

That said, for some it might not be the best choice. For instance the Neal Foster center tear is compact and almost angle proof and can be performed very quickly (which can be useful in a silent act). When combined with a follow up effect such as the production of a dove from the newspaper it is terrific. The point here is that in this instance the paper restoration is a minor effect followed with a major effect (the dove production). Incidentally, some magicians associate this center-tear to dove combination with Lance Burton, but I saw it performed in this way years earlier by Mercer Helms on an HBO TV special in the 1970s.

As for me, I love the Anderson Tear and I performed it many times when I was a kid. But when I became a professional comedy magician over 20 years ago, I switched over to the Slydini news tear. I did this because, it was easy to prepare, the angles were great for comedy clubs and I didn’t care about the flash restoration, because I used it as a minor effect as part of a larger routine.

The same comments could be made about Paul Potassy’s Newspaper Tear. In this version Mr. Potassy frames the trick into a very large version of the Sucker Torn and Restored Tissue Paper effect. And as a result, the flash restoration is not so important, because the primary effect is the sucker finale.

Levent
I go with Joel Bauer's Tom and Restored Newspaper.
Sets up in a minute; Resets in 3 seconds; You can use standard newspapers, tabloids, even newsletter-size publications; It can be performed completely surrounded.
Once again Levent lays out killer information in a thoughful manner-from theory to practice.

His post frames the methodology with an eye to routining and desired uses/outcomes.

I'm applauding but ya can't hear me.

John J
Hi
Until recently I would have said Gene Andersons method was in a class of it's own and head and sholders above other methods....but recently I attended a magic lecture given by Alan Shaxon, Presedent of the Magic Circle and bought his method...

From a set up point of view this is amazing - it takes a glue stick and two newspapers and you're ready to go in 3 minutes. The gimic can be used numerious times until it falls apart. The reset takes seconds. So if you are doing lots of performances this is perfect. The flash apperance is very strong and completely baffling. It uses tabloid size newspapers (which is great in this part of the world because there are lots of free newspapers available in this size).

I don't think I'll drop Gene's method (perfect for large format newspapers) but it's great to have another method that is a strong effect and easy to set up.

all the best
Alex
I think that the Joel Bauer and Alan Shaxon version are essentially the same. I highly reccomend it. I performed the Gene Anderson newspaper tear for years, but eventually switched to Alan Shaxon's version. It's not quite as strong as the Gene Anderson newspaper tear, but it is much more versatile. It is easy to set-up, reset, and has much beeter viewing angles. It also has a great flash restoration.
I still love the original Gene Anderson tear. yes it takes longer to set up and such, but it is so well worth it. The reactiosn are just amazing. The illusion is just so beautiful as to the audience it really does look like the paper restores as the pieces are falling into place.

Kyle
I like Slydini's version, takes about a minute max. to set up and absolutely sufficient for every audience.
I rally like fileding west's,

Kyle
Vangorn:

The most popular Torn and Restored Newspaper is the Gene Anderson version. It is simply the best one there is and the only one that most magicians will use.
I love the center tear, I believe that's what its call, its from Neil Forster
Everyone, your search is over. I just found the BEST torn and restored newspaper effect, and it's FREE:

Here: http://www.revver.com/video/295903/torn-and-restored-newspaper-revealed/

I love you all.
It does open some nice possibilities with a person a bit more skilled than the guy on the video.
[quote]
On 2008-06-28 16:08, stoneunhinged wrote:
Everyone, your search is over. I just found the BEST torn and restored newspaper effect, and it's FREE:

I love you all.
[/quote]
I already know what some of who are thinking. The answer is "no", that was not me on the video.
Andrew Mayne's Tear Down is awesome. 100% impromptu and it can be inspected before AND after the effect; it can also be signed...actually better to have it signed. Based on Jim Steinmeyer’s Incessant NEWSPAPER (with his permission).

I didn't really belive it was going to be all that easy but it is. No duplicates, no gimmicks & no tape. Simple to do and worth the 14.99 price tag over at Hocus-Pocus.

And no I don't work for the guy I just love what he has done with the effect.

Lurp
I love the Gene Anderson version with a couple of complaints. It takes a while to prepare and it failed on me once. The cement did not hold when I did the restoration and the ripped newspaper fell to the floor. I don't know why it happened, but I suspect the newspaper was the reason (maybe too old). I was hoping this thread held a new improved method or version. I like Andrew Mayne so I'm curious if others like his as much as Lurp does.
[quote]
On 2008-05-30 11:24, wmhegbli wrote:
Everything Magic Makers sells is only a copy and sometimes a poor copy. I dought you will be getting the Anderson version competely, as they do change things a little.
[/quote]

Im don't usually defeat something unless the product has proven to be great, but In my opinion the videos are well done, with nice shots and Ben Salinas is a good magician and a nice person.
Anyway there are a lot of products that are not only copies as you said like the bill in kiwi by Carl Cloutier or The art of card splitting to name two of them.
All of us should take care of naming those descalifitions, and of course we should be banned telling things that are quite harmful to the economy of people that are working and of course working hard.
Mr Anderson's version of the effect is very nice but it not belongs completely to him as has some reminiscences from other sources.

D
Message: Posted by: SpellbinderEntertainment (Jul 24, 2008 02:34PM)
Tear Down has a whole thread of its own, search the Café.

Walt
I have the Torn & Restored Newspaper Illusion DVD with Ben Salinas, and after getting this DVD I felt no need to buy any other. The DVD quality is very good and Ben is very clear and concise. Nine different methods are explained. I did not like all of them, but that's not a bad thing.I prefer the Slydini above any other method because it looks best in my opinion. I have also purchased other video's from MM and have no complaints at all. I understand why some have problems with MM, but I'm glad I purchased this DVD.
[quote]
On 2008-07-03 13:11, MrFye wrote:
I love the Gene Anderson version with a couple of complaints. It takes a while to prepare and it failed on me once. The cement did not hold when I did the restoration and the ripped newspaper fell to the floor. I don't know why it happened, but I suspect the newspaper was the reason (maybe too old). I was hoping this thread held a new improved method or version. I like Andrew Mayne so I'm curious if others like his as much as Lurp does.
[/quote]

I've done the Anderson Tear for 35 years, with a few of my own modifications. If the glue didn't stick, it's not Gene's fault, nor is it the newspaper's fault. You either did not apply the glue correctly or the newspaper was dirty. You can't glue to dirt. Another thing that sometimes happens is that you glue your r_______ p_____ to a loose piece of newspaper. That's a real awakener!

You don't really know the trick until you have discovered all the possible ways to mess it up. Trust me on this. I have added something that I borrowed from Jay Marshall, that allows me to perform this thing practically surrounded.

If you purchase a DVD, get the one from Stevens that features Gene Anderson.
[quote]
On 2008-07-24 08:34, thurstonlives wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]

Im don't usually defeat something unless the product has proven to be great, but In my opinion the videos are well done, with nice shots and Ben Salinas is a good magician and a nice person.
Anyway there are a lot of products that are not only copies as you said like the bill in kiwi by Carl Cloutier or The art of card splitting to name two of them.
All of us should take care of naming those descalifitions, and of course we should be banned telling things that are quite harmful to the economy of people that are working and of course working hard.
Mr Anderson's version of the effect is very nice but it not belongs completely to him as has some reminiscences from other sources.

D
[/quote]

Could you please explain what you mean here? I have no idea what a descalification is.

If Ben is teaching Gene's newspaper tear without permission from Gene, then he is doing economic harm to the people who sell the original. Has that idea not crossed your mind?

Not all of the MM products are knockoffs. The card splitting DVD was the first one on the market to go into all the detail of how it was done. This is a technique that goes back before [i]Expert Card Technique[/i].

As far as Gene's "reminiscenses" of other versions are concerned, they were mainly in the idea of how the flash restoration needed to be done. It was not a copy of anyone else's work.

I don't know Ben Salinas. I've never met him. But ANY performer who is going to be good at entertaining people has to ingratiate himself to the audience. You can't judge how "nice" a person is by his persona on a DVD. Nothing against Mr. Salinas, you understand, but I've known a lot of other people whose stage and/or television personal was wonderful, but they were real stinkers in person!
I seen Gene Anderson perform at abbotts a number of years ago great stuff and his book has a lot of great ideas and thoughts on paper magic
Max Londono put out an interesting variation on Anderson's tear. Without revealing anything, it added a special something to make the flash restoration at the end even more sure-fire.
Not sure if it's still available, but it was put out by Tannens some years ago.
L. Zaslow
[quote]
The Anderson Newspaper verson on DVD is put out by Stevens Magic at http://www.stevensmagic.com

Example, they sell a no tear newspaper on DVD but they paper clip the pieces together. When the paper is restored it is should have been called the vanishing paper clip trick. :)
[/quote]

Doesn't the clipping of the torn peices together lessen the effect? I have the DVD, and this wasn't my favorite version. I am using the Signed Torn and Restored from the Magic Makers DVD but I do it silently to music, and cut out the signed part. I only use and practice it because the reset is simple and requires no glue etc. The only downfall is that you have the pieces to ditch, but later on I plan to train my dove for production from it so the torn pieces don't matter much. Lately though I have found that a few torn pieces have fallen to the floor....

Chaz
I have tried the Anderson, No-Tear, and Bauer. Anderson is best for effect. No-Tear is easy and I used it with the Anderson setup. However, I had this gimmick fail once during performance and I am now gunshy. The Bauer is a nice, easy, quick method but I have had problem witht he pocket fully opening and as a result seldom used it in actual performance.

I think the Anderson is most reliable.
IO will always continue to do the gene anderson version. He sepnt enough time with me to teahc me how to make it and perform it and never once asked for anything in return. he is a very generous man and I love performing that illusion. The set up may take a lot longer, but it is worth it for me.

Kyle
I like axel hecklau Newsflash T & R Newspaper. nobody mentioned it here

does this dvd Torn and Restored Newspaper (9 Amazing Methods) - DVD
include this method?
I am using Axel's method and it's fantastic. The DVD is well produced and entertaining and the restoration is beautiful. I've gotten "wows" and gasps from it...and when watching my rehearsal videos frame-by-frame I still can't see how the change occurs, and I KNOW how it occurs.
I doubt Ben teaches this method - it's only available from Axel himself through his web site, and it's also a fairly recent product, so I'm guessing it came out after Ben's DVD, though I could be mistaken.
I haven't seen the Magic Makers product but I've been less than thrilled with most of what they come out with, so I'm sticking with Axel's method for now. His customer service is great (all of my emails were with him directly) which is especially helpful since he is based in Germany...and though he speaks with a German accent, you have no problem understand him on the DVD.
Can't say enough good things about it. Newsflash is a wonderful product.

I'm curious to hear what people think of Axel's vs. Andersons. I've seen the Anderson version on video but never in person...is there anyone who is familiar with both methods that could weigh in?
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=293603&forum=109&89

This link has some discussion of the various tears on the market as well as Anderson vs. Hecklau. I've performed Anderson's for years and decided to order Axel's version. Have to wait a bit for delivery because he is on a lecture tour here in the states for another week or so.
Yeah I read those threads thoroughly before purchasing Axel's since it's not the cheapest one on the market, and for good reason. You absolutely get what you pay for (about $95 in the U.S. which includes shipping.) I was impressed at how quickly it arrived from Germany.
I may just have to learn Anderson's tear as well to really know the difference...asking too much will certainly expose the method which I obviously don't want to do.
When I developed NEWSFLASH I started with the view to the effect not on the preparation time.
I have the feeling for many magicians is the preparation time more important than the effect.
Do they tell their audiance "hey- it costs me 2 minutes only to set it up" ??

Let me tell here some facts were Newsflash is different to other Versions.

- you have no angel problems
- you can perform close-up (less than 1 meter)
- no "fight" with the newspaper - the tearing process is as easy and natural as it could be.
- The restauration takes place in breast hight in a "reading" posture in full size
- In the moment just before the restauration, you do not have to put the fingers behind the package in order to take some "corners"
This movement distroys the surprise to the audiance, because this motion tells the audiance - there is "something" importand behind the pieces and in a moment something will happen.
I have eliminated this move in NEWSFLASH. (this is one of the main advantages of NEWSFLASH and makes it so surprising to the audiance)

- the preparation time is similar to Gene Anderson´s (this is a statement from people who performed both methods)

I met Gene Anderson on monday for the first time in my life. He is one of the most pleasant people I know. He was sitting in the front row in my lecture - it was quite exciting to me.

But - Newsflash is not a variation of the "Anderson Version". It is different. Because the starting point of my development was the Toni Stevens Method (No Tear).
In fact - I saw the Anderson Version in technical detail two month ago for the first time.

I never tried the Anderson tear - I watched the performance of several magicans performing Genes and other Version and I looked for weak points of these methods from the spectators point of view (No tear, Patrick Page, Anderson).
One of the best versions in my opinion is beside the Gene Anderson Newspaper, the Version of Robert Harbin. (the disadvantage here is, he has to sit down on a chair)

I have performed NEWSFLASH at my booth in Nashville over 50 times since the last three days. (and I was not to lazy to prepare them by myself ;-)

Hope that helps in the discussion.

Axel Hecklau
Hi axel,

this is the deaf guy who helped you at Marcs house the other night.
loved the lecture and wanted to comment on the news flash

I have performed Genes method for years and do love it BUT when I saw yours I msut admit the instant restoration wasa breathtaking. I agree with you that set up becomes a concern to many magicians but I think that is their problem not yours.

it takes me and my team 8 hours to set up my illusion show for a 90 minute show but the point is the set up is not the show it is just he prep work that MUST be done in order to present this and other spectacular works of magic.

again I will say that after seeing the lecture and actually holding it in my hands and having it pop open and change with such ease it was wild.

so to any one I would say if you like your gene anderson version great but if you want to take it up a notch then you need to buy this from Axel.

have fun

sam

ps hope I get to meet you again Axel it was a joy to do so.
It confuses me a little when I hear people discussing the reset time for this...I would think for working professionals who are being paid to do multiple shows, it would be wise (at least for a T&R Newspaper effect) to have multiples made up and ready to go. This would be simple and very cheap to do with Axel's version. I can't speak to the other versions but I would think that even if it's time consuming, if you can make one, you can make a few that will last you throughout the evening.

My experience comes primarily in comedy clubs where there are two shows a night, and I typically have a good 45 minutes between sets where I can go back stage and do what I need to do to get ready for the second show. To me the newspaper doesn't seem much like a walk around effect that you would do from table to table in a restaurant...just my personal thought on that matter.

If Axel can make up over 50 of these to perform in Nashville, I'm sure it's possible for anyone! It may take time but Rome wasn't built in a day ;)
I think I've been doing Gene Anderson's T&R since sometime in the early 70's and it has always been a winner.

However, at the IBM Convention last week, I met Axel and actually saw him perform his News Flash over 30 times. I was working the door to the Dealer Room and had a straight line of sight to Axel's booth. Let me tell you, his News Flash is so good that I had to buy it even though I'm not currently using a T&R effect. He includes a DVD with a very complete explanation and some additional variations including a method for a flash (fire) restoration, a mismade in color, a method with an audience volunteer and you can show all pages before and after! I could not ask for any more or a better method.

The set up is only about four to six minutes and goes very smoothly after trying it 3 or 4 times.

Too bad he didn't make the price higher. Maybe that would have kept it more in the hands of those that will appreciate Axel's developement and protect it from exposure. Having seen this, I'd gladly pay $200 for it, because it is a well developed professional prop that will make me a lot of money. Thanks, Axel!

Bottom line is that it is worth every bit of the price and effort to order it from him.
Igam - I didn't see the fire restoration on the DVD and was hoping to since I'd seen it in the demo video, but perhaps I somehow missed it? Was it near the end of the disc?
No disrespect to the creator of NewsFlash but I have to ask this... Almost $100 shipped?
What they see
Anderson Tear - Magician shows each page of 2 full sheets (8 pages). Paper is torn many times into small squares. In a flash the paper restores. Pages are shown again.
What the magician knows: $10 to learn or $25 for a larger book on newspaper magic or $30 if you must have it on DVD.
Not hard to learn and while takes a little time and gluing to set up, once you know what you are doing it does not take all that long. You make your own gimmick very cheaply.

Newsflash: Magician shows each page of 2 full sheets of newspaper (8 pages) Paper is torn many times into small squares. In a flash the paper restores. Some pages are shown.

What the magician knows- It costs nearly $95 to have it shipped to US for DVD and one gimmick. While there are some handling improvements, (I do not have this..yet?) from the ad you tube video there is still prep time folding and gluing.

So basically to a lay audience, it is the same effect.

I have to ask, are the changes really that significant to justify the price difference? I have performed a few different ones including the Anderson and I am just trying to justify why I would want to buy this if the end effect will look the same to the audience.

What benefit do I have by using this method that I can not get via the Anderson Tear? What can Newsflash do that Anderson can not?
If you read this thread in its entirety INCLUDING the links within, then you would have an answer to your question. The end effect looks similar but not the same.

Is it worth the price? Depends as always. Some say yes, some say no. Sure, you could argue that at 10 times the cost of the Anderson version, it should be 10 times as good. But things are rarely that simple. To a working pro it is worth a hundred bucks just to be familiar with Hecklau's variation even if you never perform it. What is "worth it" to one person may not be worth it to another. It was worth it to me, I bought it and have no regrets.

Bill
I guarantee you...put money on it... you show both torn and restored to a lay person, with a day or two in between, and they will think it was the "same trick"

Sorry but they will not pick up on that the paper was chest level or not.

Thus, if the effect to a lay person is THE SAME, I was asking what makes NewsFlash BETTER and worth the 88% price difference.
Please do NOT misinterprent my questions. I am not some kid who does not have the funds to buy this. I am adult that does not want to part with money that it would prove the effect is not what it seems.
I am happy to support if the effect have the value for the price charged.

Sorry but at my level. I am done paying extra for the "new and improved" which turns out to be a paper clip on a rubber band. So forgive me if I have been burnt too many times and am asking questions.

I still am seeking the answers to what makes it better and if it truly can be done surrounded. I am not swayed by the cool restoration as the only reason to buy this.
It needs to be said that when you already have 'mastered' one handling for a standard or classic effect, it is highly unlikely that some 'new' version that appears on the market is going to revolutionize your understanding of what the effect could be.

More likely, any great improvement will come from you 'internally'. That is, in the form of finding a better why to express our personality or point of view via the existing trick. Changing the perspective or approach, music, attitude etc;

There is a bit 'magical thinking' in all of us that actually believes that with this 'new method, or next month's magazine will come some great revelation that will lift us up to the next level. Most often that kind of growth comes from dogged persistence, rehearsal, and a collection of small improvements that have cumulative value. Hope I didn't rain on anyone's parade.
I'm from Seattle. I can take the precipitation :)
Powermagic, I understand what you are saying. There is always a question of when or if an improvement is really necessary? To the audience you are restoring a newspaper so the Anderson method will work just fine. Axel's variation I find to be simpler and easier to do, with the added bonus of having a slight bit more "wow factor" on the restoration. Also, just before the flash restoration there is no get ready "tell" that the restoration is about to happen, where I believe there is with the Anderson version. Most spectators see this but I think aren't aware of it on a conscious level. But is has always bothered me.

In addition to the restoration there are a couple other things I like about Newsflash. One is that he does have a pretty cool and practical method of doing it surrounded, or at least being able to flip the opened paper around to show the back side immediately after the restoration. I like that a LOT. Does it make it any more amazing? Hard to tell, sometimes you just have to do what you prefer and assume the audience agrees. It's like comparing a classic card force to the cross cut force, assuming they both fool you, does one fool you more? It can be hard to really quantify that but I've never heard a magician say that he used to always use the classic force but now he thinks the cross cut force is better. So you could say that I think of Axel's as a classic force and Anderson's as a cross cut force although obviously this analogy is just used as an example and not to make a direct comparison.

The second difference is that the pages are folded in a slightly different way than the Anderson tear which overall just makes the newspaper less bulky and appear more natural, and easier to handle. This is especially true with the restored paper. With Anderson's the torn pieces are pretty bulky (as least with me they were) and it is difficult to fold the restored paper even back into quarters without it looking like it contains something. But with Axel's you can pretty much fold it into a small bundle if you like, or basically roll it up as you might a newspaper. The whole routine from beginning to end just looks more innocent and natural to me. Which I think is what Axel was trying to do when he started working on new methods. He wasn't trying to create a new effect, just make the existing one easier and more natural looking, in that I think he succeeded. Is that worth a hundred US dollars? We each have to answer that for ourselves. But given the R&D that Axel has obviously put into this, then I would say yes, for sure. You have to remember you're not just paying for the materials supplied but the time spent developing it.

The variations are not huge, most are subtle, one or two could be debated whether the average spectator would even notice. So I wouldn't call it a revolutionary new handling. For me it's worth it because I love the effect, but the Anderson tear (which is the only other newspaper tear I've actually performed so all I have to compare it to, plus the two look very similar) never really felt quite right to me. I always felt like I was struggling a little bit with it and that never seemed to go away completely like it has with everything else I perform. Maybe you could say I had a bit of a mental block with it. I think Newsflash will get me over that hump. To get over that hump that I've dealt with for 30 years with this particular effect, well I'd pay a hundred bucks for that easy. But none of those issues probably apply to you so you may not feel it's worth anywhere near that much.

Best,
Bill
PS- it does help also that the Axel's gimmick is way cooler than a paperclip or rubberband!!!
[quote]
On 2009-07-08 03:15, Andrewzuber wrote:
Igam - I didn't see the fire restoration on the DVD and was hoping to since I'd seen it in the demo video, but perhaps I somehow missed it? Was it near the end of the disc?
[/quote]

Andrew, the fire restoration is on the DVD. But it is very brief and he only says a couple sentences about it. It is in the Variations chapter. This is similar in appearance to the flash restoration Lance Burton has done for decades. Probably best done to music but patter would work too. It does not really require much explanation as it is rather self-explanatory.

Bill
I have not seen everyone's torn and restored newspaper effect, but I cannot imagine a more amazing one than the one Soma does in his phone routine. you can see it here:

http://somashow.com/index.php?lang=EN&page=video
Bill,

I went back a week or two ago to review the DVD again and did find it on there. Thanks for the info!
This isn't very good is it?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFdW3ZhMR7M
two very obvious flashes. I'm surprised he thought it good enough to post.
Those flashes are painful,, and to the routine video of soma,, all I can say is wow, that was amazing
I just bought Newsflash. I had to wait until the planes could take off from Germany, but it arrived and I love it. I want to give my full review on the comparisons to this and Gene Anderson’s but first I have a problem that I want to ask those that use it.

If you are American, you might be able to help. The newspapers here are funny sizes. Our paper in Las Vegas has shrunk. It used to be an inch bigger, but because of lack of circulation, it resembles a tabloid. I asked Axel if he can help try to convert the dimensions for me, but he is stumped too. After many tries, it is apparent that the correct dimensions are important to get the O’s and X’s lined up properly.

The dimensions of the Las Vegas Review Journal is 21¾ X 22. If anyone has the correct conversions, I’d appreciate it.
Why not use USA News and Report, it is still the larger size, and can be picked up anywhere. Do to News Stands dieing in America, we still have a tabacco store in town that sells Newspapers from all over th country, all major cities.

If you need patter for the out of town paper, just say, I just got back from (enter city of newspaper), I brought back a copy of their newspaper,(while showing newspaper) "as you can see, their is nothing in it!" Gets a great laugh.
What's strange about the Las Vegas Review Journal is that it has shrunk in the past six months. I found a paper from October of last year and the full sheet is two inches wider. When I folded the paper as per Axel's instructions, it works fine.

But, all is not lost. I discovered if I make the first fold shorter by folding it exactly in half, then every thing else works. The only adjustment would be to fold the other side about a half inch shorter and I am fine.

Now I can go on with learning the rest of the trick... finally.
SOMA's fits his act... I love his presentation, accidentally tearing it to begin. I would guess it's based on Gene Anderson's.

I used to do Pat Page's 10-second Paper Tear, then Alan Shaxon made a simple modification to it (adding a bit of glue stick) which I played with, but dropped it from my act. I had been practicing Anderson's but didn't put it in.

Yesterday I saw, and bought, Andrew Mayne's... he did it in his lecture and to me for a parlor or even close-up situation his really is amazing.

See it at his web site.

No prep, you can ask someone to grab a paper (if there are some handy) Take some sheets, have someone sign the front page, tear it up and re-tear it, handing the paper back to the signee.
If you don't mind getting your hands dirty and taking a little time to set it up,
the reaction you get from the audience (usually gasps!) with Gene Anderson's Newspaper Tear is well worth the effort and pretty darn hard to beat, I think.

Having said that, I also remember watching Neil Foster (and later Lance Burton) performing the center tear.....(with a show-biz addition of flash string!) got a great reaction from the audience, too!

I saw Slyding perform his T&R version too,,,elegant....but very "MOVEY", in my opinion.......
I did notice "Page Tear" at a magic recently. I like it.
I have 3 versions but nothing beats the one I had first, the Gene Anderson version.
Sure it takes a little time to make but WOW!
Does anyone know what version Whit Haydn uses? I love his style and would like to learn the effect the way he does it.
[quote]
On 2010-10-07 23:31, dave60707 wrote:
Does anyone know what version Whit Haydn uses? I love his style and would like to learn the effect the way he does it.
[/quote]

Whit Haydn performs the Anderson Newspaper Tear, it is available in book or DVD.

DVD: http://www.stevensmagic.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=93_94_7&products_id=5558

DVD: http://www.stevensmagic.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=93_94_55&products_id=7179

Book: http://www.magicinc.net/newspapermagicrevisededitionfeaturinggeneandersonstornandrestorednewspaper.aspx
For those of you who bought Newsflash and can`t find full size newspaper here is a performance by Axel with tabloid size:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ala19UBFEJA
Preparation will be explained on his new DVD which should be on the market in January 2011.

regards,
Bojan
I asked Gene at innovention 2010 if the smaller newspapers matter he said not really but not as nice.
My favourite Torn And Restored Newspaper by Joel Bauer
Gene mentioned that USA Today is printed in several sizes across US --- reminds me of three blind men describing an elephant one had trunk one a leg one the tail each has different description
[quote]
On 2010-10-08 10:32, bojanbarisic wrote:
For those of you who bought Newsflash and can`t find full size newspaper here is a performance by Axel with tabloid size:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ala19UBFEJA
Preparation will be explained on his new DVD which should be on the market in January 2011.

regards,
Bojan
[/quote]

What about those that already have it?
The update will not be expensive ;-)
Does anyone use the Alex Elmsley paper tear that is on Tahoe Sessions Vol 4. Its a really lovely tear though time consuming to set up.
I'm a very big fan of Richard Osterlind's Torn and Restored Newspaper effect. Its a very creative take on the torn and restored newspaper...

Jeff
[quote]
On 2010-04-28 21:46, wmhegbli wrote:
Why not use USA News and Report, it is still the larger size, and can be picked up anywhere. Do to News Stands dieing in America, we still have a tabacco store in town that sells Newspapers from all over th country, all major cities.

If you need patter for the out of town paper, just say, I just got back from (enter city of newspaper), I brought back a copy of their newspaper,(while showing newspaper) "as you can see, their is nothing in it!" Gets a great laugh.
[/quote]

I believe you mean USA Today. BTW, wmhegbli. Those are really old lines.
I've been performing the Anderson tear, as I mentioned, for about 35 years. I started performing it in 1975, and it became one of my signature pieces. There's a youtube video of me doing it somewhere.

Regarding preparation time, that is absolutely a non-issue. In fact, when I worked at the Texas Renaissance Festival, I performed the tear an average of 16 times per weekend. My total setup time was about 45 minutes. That's for 8 loaded newspapers and 8 refills. Once you have done the trick a few thousand times, you can set it up in your sleep.

I really like Axel Hecklau's version, but I have been doing my version of Gene's trick for so long that it doesn't make any sense for me to change now. I've got the whole thing in muscle memory. If I change now, I'll spend a year messing it up, and since it's one of my signature pieces, it makes no sense at all to change it.

And to the spectators, they really don't know the difference. Trust me on this.

However, if you are just starting to do the newspaper trick, get Axel's.
Andersons T&R is free whish I think should be mentioned
I had always used The Anderson but adopted Ron Wilson's from "The Uncanny Scott" a long time ago. Preparation time is about the same but if you buy (or get free) a bakers dozen of newspapers you can use all of them (12 performances) with the preparation of a single paper. Not a flash restoration but a great one to say the least and the angles are covered much better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7I2bJZITV4&feature=related
[quote]
On 2010-12-10 18:10, Bill Palmer wrote:
There's a youtube video of me doing it somewhere.
[/quote]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70C65b5EUKg

Thanks for letting us know. I always love to see you perform my friend.
I read that about four years ago, the Wall Street Journal reduced its size from 15 inches wide to about 12 inches wide and remained about 22¾ inches long. It is roughly the size of The Washington Post, The Los Angeles Times, and USA Today. These daily newspapers also reduced their widths.

The Journal's move is part of a broad retrenchment in the newspaper industry. Their reasoning is the costs rise faster than revenues. The bigger size of the Journal reflects bigger problems at the paper since it was hard by a loss of advertising revenue.
In an online article, a spokeswoman for The New York Times said the paper was considering going to a smaller width, but had not made a decision. That was a few years ago. I don’t live in New York so I am not sure if it’s still 14 inches wide or not.

In the last seven years, forty percent of newsprint costs has soared which has resulted in widespread concerns over these prices. This could result in more broadsheets shrinking even further to tabloid size in the next few years as they are being converted to lighter paper stock.

For those that do the Anderson Paper Tear this is no big deal. But, for those that have learned Newsflash, you have to adjust the folding. I have figured out a way to do that with our Las Vegas Review Journal which also shrunk a few years ago. It makes me want to go back to the ever reliable Anderson’s version as folding it to the smaller size is frustrating.
I do the Anderson and think it is great but would rethink it if I did it several times a week. One thing worth pointing our GA tear is free and you get I get satisfaction in making my own gimmick. For young (poor) magicians a first rate trick for minimal cost is a concideration.
[quote]
On 2011-01-22 11:04, brangwinj wrote:
I do the Anderson and think it is great but would rethink it if I did it several times a week. One thing worth pointing our GA tear is free and you get I get satisfaction in making my own gimmick. For young (poor) magicians a first rate trick for minimal cost is a concideration.
[/quote]

Gene Anderson's Newspaper Tear is NOT FREE. If you go it free without paying for the instructions. You stole it, and that is dishonest. We do not promote thieft on the Café.
Lets just say there is no $100 gimick to buy and there is satisfaction in making your own gimick. I have two dvd's of the trick so I guess I could I guess teach someone the trick and not burn in hell !
It not burning in hell, it is going to jail, you have to worry about, for stealing 2 DVDs. :rotf:
I paid for both what is your problem !!!
Wmhegbli is always like that. Sometimes he speaks or writes before thinking !!
[quote]
On 2011-01-22 19:22, brangwinj wrote:
I have two dvd's of the trick ...
[/quote]

You did not say you bought or paid for them in this statement, lighten up!!

1st you said the GA tear is free, as I read it that you get your newspapers, gimmicks and instruction for free. Then you said you had 2 DVDs which from your previous statement meant you got them for free. Telling young not knowing beginners that this effect may be available free someplace. Then they would be searching all over the place for free instructions. Brangwinj said on the Café that the GA Newspaper Tear is free, he got it free.

I did not want to lead the unknowing down the wrong path.
I would love to see this link, but it appears to be broken. Is there a new link?

ADM+

[quote]
On 2008-06-28 16:08, stoneunhinged wrote:

I love you all.
[/quote]
[quote]
On 2008-05-28 10:25, Vangorn wrote:
[/quote]

I believe it is is Gene's own small but excellent publication Newspaper Magic, published by Magic, Inc.
this method and the publication above date to the sixties.
[quote]
On 2008-06-04 18:39, Levent wrote:
In my opinion, the best newspaper tear method is determined by how it is used.
If you are not concerned with angles and are just presenting it as a stand alone trick, you would be hard pressed to find one better than Gene Anderson’s. When I first saw it I was a small boy (and still a layman) and was completely blown away by Doug Henning’s presentation on Broadway and on TV. The power of the flash restoration should not be overlooked.

That said, for some it might not be the best choice. For instance the Neal Foster center tear is compact and almost angle proof and can be performed very quickly (which can be useful in a silent act). When combined with a follow up effect such as the production of a dove from the newspaper it is terrific. The point here is that in this instance the paper restoration is a minor effect followed with a major effect (the dove production). Incidentally, some magicians associate this center-tear to dove combination with Lance Burton, but I saw it performed in this way years earlier by Mercer Helms on an HBO TV special in the 1970s.

As for me, I love the Anderson Tear and I performed it many times when I was a kid. But when I became a professional comedy magician over 20 years ago, I switched over to the Slydini news tear. I did this because, it was easy to prepare, the angles were great for comedy clubs and I didn’t care about the flash restoration, because I used it as a minor effect as part of a larger routine.

The same comments could be made about Paul Potassy’s Newspaper Tear. In this version Mr. Potassy frames the trick into a very large version of the Sucker Torn and Restored Tissue Paper effect. And as a result, the flash restoration is not so important, because the primary effect is the sucker finale.

Levent
[/quote]

Absolutely! If you have to pick only one, it would be Gene's, but why do you have to pick one?
For example, for some situations the absolute best, hands down is ......... The Karrel Fox approach!!

A single double sheet, so there is just no place to hide anything. Practically see-through.
No set up at all!
It can be done even close up if you wish.
And at the end you can hand the newspaper out as it is ungaffed and you are absolutely clean.

pretty good. fooled the hell out of me when he did it for me thirty years ago.
Does anyone know which version is used by Robert Harbin in this clip :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rWcCuNYcrc

Is it Harbin's own version (in print anywhere ?) or is he using someone else's set up , with the presentation being his contribution ? It's a great presentation and would still work with contemporary patter about being on a crowded subway .
Yes David it was his own version and Harbin published it in Magic of Robert Harbin (pages 23-26). Gimmick lasts for years. His book was published in 1970 and printed in only 500 copies so today you can`t find it for less than 1500 $.
[quote]On Jul 4, 2015, bojanbarisic wrote:
Yes David it was his own version and Harbin published it in Magic of Robert Harbin (pages 23-26). Gimmick lasts for years. His book was published in 1970 and printed in only 500 copies so today you can`t find it for less than 1500 $. [/quote]

Do you know if the version in "The Magic of Robert Harbin" is the same or similar to the version he published in "Demon Magic" put out by Davenport's in 1938 ? http://shop.conjuringarts.org/store/pc/Demon-Magic-by-Robert-Harbin-p455.htm

No, it is not the same method. Method in Demon magic book featured "shake" restoration. For 5$ you can`t go wrong, Harbin was a genius.
All of a sudden, today, they community thinks that having the newspaper signed makes the trick excellent and a real fooler for the audience. Most of the newspaper tears I have given in this forum string is open, and if handled correctly, can be seen as nothing else but simply using an everyday newspaper and tearing it up in the fairest of manner. I actually don't see how having the corner of the newspaper signed makes the illusion any better for the audience.
Only an audience of magicians would think having the corner of the newspaper signed makes the T&R newspaper effect better.
Al Baker said something to the effect that : "Many a good trick has been ruined by improvement."
I think Dai Vernon would feel the same way about the "improved versions" of tricks like "Twisting the Aces."
There have been exceptions to Baker's maxim--but I would guess that they have been few and far between.
And one magician's "improvement" is often regarded as another magician's blasphemy.

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
What can I say? The PAULA PAUL Newspaper Tear is my favorite.
Prep time - 1 minute
No tape, adhesive, wire or anything but newspapers.
Show front and back before and after tear/restore.
Only one (EZ) tear against the grain.
Flash restoration (one-handed, by the way)
Make your g*****k one minute before showtime, or one month. The g*****k will not lose its crispness and will spring open right away.
This restoration is as wonderful as the GENE ANDERSON Newspaper Tear, yet so easy to set up.
[quote]On Aug 25, 2015, paulapaul wrote:
What can I say? The PAULA PAUL Newspaper Tear is my favorite.
Prep time - 1 minute
No tape, adhesive, wire or anything but newspapers.
Show front and back before and after tear/restore.
Only one (EZ) tear against the grain.
Flash restoration (one-handed, by the way)
Make your g*****k one minute before showtime, or one month. The g*****k will not lose its crispness and will spring open right away.
This restoration is as wonderful as the GENE ANDERSON Newspaper Tear, yet so easy to set up. [/quote]

Sounds great . Where can it be purchased ? How much ?

Contact Paula Paul at here email address in her profile.
I liked what Joel Bauer put on the market years ago...it's worth checking out.
Joel Bauer "borrowed" the late Alan Shaxon (U.K.) Newspaper Tear, exactly as he sold it.
In all this discussion, has anyone mentioned the Al Koran "Torn and Restored Newspaper" from _Routined Manipulations, Part I" by Lewis Ganson? Gene Anderson's trick evolved from the Koran trick--and IIRC Gene credited Al in the instructions for his tear. I used to do the Koran trick often back in the 60's. When David Copperfield performed "the Torn and Restored Cue Card" on one of his specials, it was based pretty much on the basic Koran method since the cue card at the start of the trick was not folded the way a newspaper sheet is.

There are many other possibilities open for variations of the Koran/Anderson trick and as far as I know, no one has explored them.

Here are two possibilities:
1) Show a folded white sheet of paper with a half sheet of red paper inside. Tear them up together--and then flash restore them as a simple Valentine Card--like those candy hearts with simple messages on them
http://www.victorystore.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/700x700/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/c/a/candy-heart-pathway-markers-2.jpg

2) Emcee shows a folded white sheet of paper and a half sheet of black paper inside. Tear them up together--and flash restore them with letters spelling out the name of the next act. (Gene does a lot of emcee work, so maybe he's done this already.)

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
David, Thank you for asking. I sent you a PM. My e-mail address is illusionesse@hotmail.com .

By the way, for those who bought this from me - I recently made photos of the moves to suppliment the original instructions. Since many of you have told me that this method is now in your shows, I guess the photos are not necessary. But folks who ordered recently tell me that the photos really help. Anyway, you may want to add them to what you already have. If you bought the PAULA PAUL NEWSPAPER TEAR in the past, and would like the photos, just let me know. Please use the same name and e-mail address that you used for your original order
Been using NEWSFLASH 2. It's great! Not everyone will be doing it because of the price. Great instructions.

Bairefoot
Is there any reason the Gene Anderson method can't begin with the torn pieces so I can keep my current patter? I currently use the Tony Stevens No Tear method from Mark Mason but it comes out with sharp creases and is prone to tear easily in certain places.
[quote]On Jan 7, 2017, Maxeroo wrote:
Is there any reason the Gene Anderson method can't begin with the torn pieces so I can keep my current patter? I currently use the Tony Stevens No Tear method from Mark Mason but it comes out with sharp creases and is prone to tear easily in certain places. [/quote]

They all come out with creases, being you tear the paper into pieces. The only ones that don't is the Pat Page, Alan Shaxon, Elmsley, and others that use the tabloid newspaper.

I find that thinking puzzling, that a T&R should come out flat without any creases. Just don't understand why someone would expect that result. I had a friend once ask that question after I showed him the working of the Neil Foster tear. Even though I creased the newspaper before the tear, why would it be expected the crease I made in front of him, should be gone now. The trick was to restore the torn section, not make the crease disappear.

Even torn and restored playing card effects end with creases or joints in many cases. David Williamson was the 1st to perform a top change to restore the playing card perfectly.

Using that as an example, I guess if you find a way to exchange the restored newspaper for a perfectly non-creased newspaper, you would have a final effect.

Most people do fold their newspapers up to carry them around. You even buy them with at least one fold across the midsection, and most people upon picking them up immediately fold them into quarters to carry them under their arm or add them to other things they are carrying.

I can only conclude this is a millennials thinking of never living at time when newspapers were the only way news was obtained. Not until the 1950's was television invented and offered to the masses. Radio was another method for daily news events to be transmitted. Now we have instant news because of the global Internet.

Receiving the daily newspaper on your doorstep was a common event, folded and tossed to you home. Many purchased a newspaper from a newspaper stand on the way to work.

I have tried to explain newspapers the way they were handled when they were the norm. So why would anyone think that a restored newspaper would be free of creases, is beyond my comprehension.

As for you problem in tearing, I suggest you re-watch the video, and concentrate on the final restoration, you are pulling the wrong directions, and moving to fast. It should be a steady smooth action of the arms, out - down - and up. If you still tearing, reinforce the areas with invisible tape on the back side. Practice until you get the action correct. Don't rush, go for smooth movements.

Hope this helps in some way.
Bill,
Thank you for your response. You are correct, sir. I must be living in a dreamworld to not expect deep creases. And on the DVD, Mr. Mason does, in fact, advise taping the critical points. My post was pretty much a waste of time and posting space. Something one would expect from an impatient youngster, not a 60-something-year old.
Time for me to get real and go practice.
I guess you would lessen the depth of the crease if you prepare newspaper, then store it open laid out flat. Then just before you go on, fold the newspaper and do not weight it down or place anything on it.

Newspapers age quickly, so preparing a newspaper for each show would be the best solution to the creases you dislike.
Great idea.
Thank you very much.
[quote]On May 3, 2010, Pete Biro wrote:
SOMA's fits his act... I love his presentation, accidentally tearing it to begin. I would guess it's based on Gene Anderson's.

I used to do Pat Page's 10-second Paper Tear, then Alan Shaxon made a simple modification to it (adding a bit of glue stick) which I played with, but dropped it from my act. I had been practicing Anderson's but didn't put it in.

Yesterday I saw, and bought, Andrew Mayne's... he did it in his lecture and to me for a parlor or even close-up situation his really is amazing.

See it at his web site.

No prep, you can ask someone to grab a paper (if there are some handy) Take some sheets, have someone sign the front page, tear it up and re-tear it, handing the paper back to the signee. [/quote]

Mr. Biro,
How did Andrew Mayne's version work out for you? Would love to hear your pros and cons.
I am considering it.
Thank you.
Andrew Maynes is variation (with credit) of Jim Steinmeyers newspaper tear in Conjuring Anthology. Conjuring is one of the best books in magic ever (as are all of Jim's!). If you have that book... You have the basic handling.

Andrew Mayne does make some unique changes that could be a pro or con depending on a performers style and the performance situation. For a stage performance, Jims original version would be best in my opinion, but for "street" magic, mayne's can be more casual.

I have Jims book and the Tear down dvd and think they are both worth the money.
Looking for PAULA PAUL Newspaper Tear, I sent her message but no reply, magicwalsh@gmail.com
I particularly like Ron Wilson's version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7I2bJZITV4
Apparently he is using a method very close to Alex Elmsley's which I purchased, both in writing and DVD, and studied.
Obviously Ron Wilson has added something that allows him to do that final display of two separate pages.
I think that is a killer, especially for magicians.
I thought about it and came up with a possible solution, but I would like to compare it with the original if possible.
Was this published somewhere? Anybody would know?
Yes it's in "Ron Wilson, The Uncanny Scot" by Kauffman. It's oop but you can find it in the used market. I got mine a few months ago for $70.
Great book! And yes that clean display at the end really seals the deal.
I recently picked up a copy of Gene Anderson's new book and it is fantastic! Any magician wishing to learn his fabulous tear should invest in a copy.
Yes Leo! I almost mentioned that book as well. Great book, with excellent real world routines and great thoughts on performing magic.

Gene Anderson - the Book! Get it.. You won't be sorry.
Thanks Thomas and Leo for your suggestions.
Geoffrey Durham's torn and restored is my favourite.
[youtube]ztam4wj3fKE[/youtube]
[quote]On Jul 30, 2017, George Alexander wrote:
Geoffrey Durham's torn and restored is my favourite. [/quote]

Geoffrey Durahm performs Gene Anderson's version.
[quote]On Jun 1, 2018, Pop Haydn wrote:
[youtube]ztam4wj3fKE[/youtube] [/quote]

BTW, this surprise ending is from Billy McComb.