(Close Window)
Topic: GREAT Scissors for a GREAT PRICE
I don't know if any of you guys have a JoAnn's Fabrics in your area, but if you do, they're having a sale on Gingher's. I got a $70.00 set with case and sheath for $36.00.

If you don't know about these, they're about the BEST scissors on the market for cutting rope! One snip and your done! EVERYTIME!!! Hands down, the Royals Royce of Scissors. I bought two pair....was almost like buy one get one for that price!

Christopher
Christopher
I must agree with you the JoAnn scissors in the plastic sheath are the best working and looking scissors. I also took my scissors to a knife sharpening service and they ground the point off for safety purposes.
Christopher is correct.
Those are the best scissors. Just DO NOT ever cut paper with them.
Just rope or fabric.
Well now I'm mad!
The one day I DIDN'T go to JoAnn fabrics!
I have the same scissors. I bought them because, the clerk at the fabric store said, "They were the best" and I liked how shiny the handle and blades looked. I never used them for magic, because they are too sharp. I keep them hidden in a drawer and use for trimming my clothing or anywhere a precise cut is required on cloth. After I bought those I saw a review of a pair of rope cutting scissors in the Linking Ring. They sold for $20. The handle is symetrical so they will cut no matter which way you hold them. The points are dull when you buy them. The best part they give a clean cut every time. I am still using them and have never had to sharpen them. They are also very light. I hand them to the child and let them cut my rope for C&R. That's how easy they are to use.
I've had a look at joann.com, and can't see anything in the $70 bracket.. do you have a part number/stock number for them? Or do they have a particular name?

Also looking for cut/no cut scissors, anyone..

Tks

DCB
DCB
I don't know how much the scissors I purchased at joann's cost me, but they were scissors that a professional seamstress would use. Go to joann's and buy a pair of quality scissors, but get a pair that comes with a case, and don't forget to have the points ground down.
Al,...

Have you SEEN how MANY scissors they stock in that shop??? There are 3 pages...of them!..many of them with cases. But.. I'll have another look and I'll contact them.
Do you have any knowledge on the best cut/no-cut scissors? I think it's best to have a pair that actually cut the rope. I', looking at the Argentinian ones right now.. they seem to do the business, but I read on here somewhere that they DON'T cut the rope. Again.. I'll have to check.

Tks for the advice!

DCB
DCB
If there's a joann near you? I'd go in and pick out the best shape, and you know that joann sells professional quality scissors. I have two pair of them, so after I purchased the second pair I took the original pair to the knife sharpener to have them made as dull as possible. The bottom line is that I start my C&R with the dull pair, just for a laugh, and I finish with the good pair.
Al is back. Hi Al.

Best pair I ever got was from Staples, don't laugh. They cut any rope and have lasted over seven years and still work.
Harry
I only post here because my friend Ian asked my opinion about the rope magic that I love.
The whole is equal to the sum of its parts. (I sound like Sanders). When Al stopped posting for a while, the rope section lied dormant for 4 days. No input, no threads, nadda.
Consider the Café like I do. The Big government, with little pockets of freedom popping up here and there. We still pledge allegiance, but dissent is our right and good commentary is what makes up any forum.
There is no magic Café without the likes of Al.
[quote]
On 2008-08-02 22:38, nucinud wrote:
Al is back. Hi Al.

Best pair I ever got was from Staples, don't laugh. They cut any rope and have lasted over seven years and still work.
[/quote]
You know, that the best magic comes from the hardware stores. And, most apparatus was something else that triggered a moment of inspiration. Consider Joe Karson and the toilet float.
When I was in the New York area, I always went to the National merchandise show. I used to meet Bob Little, and sometimes see Dushek, and Petrick of Petrick and Mia. We all went down the aisles and found a unique box (Petrick), piece of jewelry (Little), unusual magnets and toys and silk novelties, glowing object that fit in tips etc. So, the scissors in hardware is no shame..buy it before it gets to the magic shop and doubles the mark-up.
Ian is right the rope section is one of the few places at this forum without big brothers interferance, and my new friend Jeremy has hooked me up with some soft multi colored nylon 3/8" rope from Singapore.
[quote]
On 2008-08-03 08:00, Al Angello wrote:
Harry
I only post here because my friend Ian asked my opinion about the rope magic that I love.
[/quote]

Still great to see.
O.K. gang,
due to the very high recommendation of the "Gingher" Scissors
I set out today in search of a pair at JoAnn's Fabrics.

After looking at the many models that the had I ended up selecting and purchasing the:
Gingher 8" Blunt-Tip, Knife/Serrated Edge, Dressmaker Shears.

They were 32.99, however I had one of the 40% off Coupons, so the pair ended up only costing me $21.22 after taxes. Such a DEAL!!!

As a *BONUS* the tips are ALREADY Blunt so there is NO NEED to have them ground down as Al suggests that you do, (and I whole-heartedly agree for safety!)

More $avings right there!

Right after I got to my car I ripped them out of the Package, excited to try them out on a piece of Rope!

All I can say is...WOW!

Do these work AWESOME on Rope!

I cannot praise them high enough!!!

Do yourself a favor and get yourself a set of these for your Rope Routine!!!

You'll kick yourself for not have gotten them sooner!

=Frank=
Online store anywhere Frank ?
WayneNZ
JoAnn is on line, but I don't think that she ships to New Zealand.
Hey WayneNZ!

If you can't get a pair online, let me know and I could pick up a pair for you and ship it to you. You pay postage, and unfortunately I no longer have the 40% off coupon so they would be full price.

=Frank=
WayneNZ
http://www.joann.com
This is the EXACT same pair that I bought:

http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog.jsp?CATID=cat3194&PRODID=prd31918&source=search

=Frank=
Thanks guys.
I only laugh because my wife has used these for years and got me into a pair about 10 years ago. Didn't realize that people were looking for such or I would have recommended them.

Great Post!

Brad
I use a pair of scissors from Clauss. I will have them for sale at the Magic Castle Swap Meet this Saturday OCT 18, 2008, along with my ropes. You can check the ropes on my website at http://www.BaronianTrading.com. But I don't have the scissors on the website yet. Hope to see some of you at the Magic Castle Swap Meet.

Dany
BaronianTrading.com
These Shears work great have a look good price too

http://www.heimerdingercutlery.com/catalog/category.cfm?Category=14&CFID=3489957&CFTOKEN=38790420

Cheers

Mike
Mike
The great thing about cut, and restore is that it is done right before your eyes with every day items. Those garden shears you recommended do not look like every day items to me, they just remove simplicity from the trick.
These are the exact pr of shears Michael Finney uses and they are the same pr that Jay marshall sold ( when you could get them from him) on his web site years ago. That is how I tracked them down If you look at the whole site they have every type of shear all the way to 12" gold plated Ribbon shears I posted more for to help out with sourcing good quality shears rather than suggesting you buy one pr over another.

Cheers

Mike
I got a great pair of kitchen shears from target in the dollar section. They cut right through rope like a hot knife through butter!

That was until I cut something with them, not knowing it had metal in its core, end of those scissors!

I gotta find another set. They don't have them anymore.
Mine cost $25, and yours cost $1. You do not have to be a genius to figure that one out. I highly recomment that you never cut paper either.

You should never use your C&R scissors for anything else, but rope. Mine are several years old and they still work as good as new. The good ones at Joann fabric store come in a nice plastic sheath too.
Finney actually uses Clauss.
Well
On November 2 I will see Michael Finney at the Kutztown magic convention, he I will have a little show and tell that day, and I'll let you all know who's is bigger.
"who's is bigger"? I hope we're talking about scissors
I've contacted Joannes about the Gingher scissors, with no reply.. I'm not in the US, so I don't count, I suppose..

However.. in desperation, I had a friend of mine take an ordinary pair of scissors and cut them down so the blades are 2" long, from the tip to the fulcrum, and the ends were rounded off, making them very likely the safest non-plastic scissors on earth. They work great. They didn't when they were longer. Trouble is, scissors work better when the rope is nearer the fulcrum, but trying to explain this to kids is a waste of time. May as well tell them that smoking cigs is a waste of money.
But.. give them no option, and the rope sits right in there.. easy for them to cut, and they can wave them about till their heart's content.

So.. these scissors were about $4.00 for a set of 3 different sizes.. cheap as chips, as they say..
So.. if you have a pair of useless scissors, why not try cutting them down?
I'd STILL like to get my hands on a pair of those Ginhgers, tho...

Regards,

DCB
They make fine scisors in Germany.
Just thought I would mention that you can find the Ginger scissors at the best price on EBay. I just lucked on one seller who had two pair listed for $14 with $9 shipping. They are not a big priority item so no one else bid on them but me.

Anyway, for a total of $23, I got two pair--That's only $11.50 a pair delivered.
I may have one pair gimmicked, or simply keep them as a spare.

Just type in "Gingher 8" Knife Edge" in the search engine and you will get a lot of hits. There are several different models, and not every seller describes them correctly (like leaving the words "blunt tip" out). However one can simply look at the photo and tell if they are the right ones.

Most sellers are asking about $9 plus $9 shipping, and that's not bad, but you may find an even better deal like I did.

Cheers

P.S. Finney swears by those garden shears that he uses and even recommends them on his L & L videos. They don't look that much out of place and are certainly not way over sized. However, because the blades are so short and close to the fulcrum of the tool they would be as safe as a blunt tip, and most likely they would easily cut through anything.