(Close Window)
Topic: Mentalism for vegans
I am booked to perform at a gathering of vegan men and ladies soon. Does anyone know of any useful sources of effects for this element of person? I want to impress whilst treating them like normal people, I also do not want to offend obviously.
They're just vegans - perform as you would for anyone else. Except do not perfom the Corned Beef on Swiss Psychological Force. Everything else is open game.

Jason.
Do what you normally do, but stay of the topic of meats, burgers, and road kill and you should be safe. ;)
Is your normal performing style heavy on animal slaughter gags? If not - why not just do what you normally would do for anyone else?
I'm pretty sure that all the effects I perform are Vegan friendly (by the way, simply using that phrase "whilst treating them like normal people" could do the very thing you are hoping to avoid. I don't see how someone being vegan is going to effect their enjoyment of the superb routines you will no doubt use..
But I believe Mr Redford is Vegan, why not pm him see if he has any advice, you might want to rephrase your question though.

Andy
Oh...snap! You beat me to the draw. Should've learned to touch type!
Just make sure not to tip that if we ever run out of animals we'll be coming after them. They hate it when you remind them of that. :p
How about Andy Nyman's Diceman, using a small square of tofu instead of a dice?
Stay away from "beef" AND "dairy" references and you're golden.

Regards, Steve
You do realise that this is the patient one posting here don't you? he's not serious guys...he's being "amusing"...
Although any animal-based props might be worth thinking about ditching, if you use any. For example,your favourite exquisite leather gaffed wallet might be worth re-thinking if you think it might draw attention. Or maybe it wouldn't be an issue, but it might be worth establishing those kinds of things
It's an interesting point though...how something that you might hone to perfection could be incredibly out of place because of some aspect you didn't think would be relevant. Vegan or otherwise
1. If going Dangerous Monte, donít do the one with the egg. That might be offensive. Use the one with the spike. And for goodness sakes, donít call it a steak.

2. When performing your Rocky Raccoon routine, donít used whipped cream but use shaving cream when you have him foam at the mouth from rabies. Dairy is not acceptable.

This might be a good starting point...
Why stay away from dairy and animals....

it's a vegan meeting, a meeting with eople who define themselves through their different tastes... so use it... they are together for one reason, and that one reason is the core of their meeting.

I therefore don't see any problem in making it somehow the core of your presentation... can make for some fun....

when you are hired by " microsoft", do you stay away from any "microsoft" references???
By the way, I would suggest you cry little white lard tears until you have enough of them to create a small cow, thus symbolising what we are doing to our bodies, as well as the spiritual side to mass slaughter...

you could then fashion a small Colonel Sanders too out of your lard-tears, and model them into him eating a tramp and carving a circle, triangle and the number 7 into the tramp's forehead...

hope that helps...
Dairy and animals is the one thing they all have in common.... they don't like it....
People, I think what we have here is a "Do Not Feed the Troll" situation.
Psychologically force, 'Carrot.' :)

You'll have a room full of hits, hahahahahaha.

-JF
[quote]
On 2008-06-02 16:47, Rory Raven wrote:
People, I think what we have here is a "Do Not Feed the Troll" situation.
[/quote]

I agree. I never realised that being a vegan or vegetarian makes one other than normal. I find the implication offencive even if I wasn't a vegetarian. I do not think of those who eat meat as other than normal. There are enough problems on our precious planet without getting into implicated insults.

Newsflash!! Vegans and vegetarians are just as enamoured with magic as non-vegans and non-vegetarians!! And guess what?? We don't need or even expect a themed act based on our choice of what we eat. Just entertain!

I invite the OP to PM me to discuss this.

Best to ALL,
Vlad
Vlad_77,

I'm vegetarian and agree with you. We are not different except for what we eat which doesn't matter as spectators.

Patient One,
Do what you normally do. The only thing you should be careful is not making fun of them. We hate it. :)
All should recall that Patient One was affiliated with the We Want Your Soul folks, so take heed. And, he refused to meet with Corona on at least one occasion so I don't think he's from North Dakota anymore either.

Sugar,

--Tom
Folks, please read Abraxus' post above Ė he knows what he's talking about.

The first one, not the lard-tears one Ė though I believe Don Theo III is updating one of his manuscripts to achieve that.
Good old patient one. Always good for laugh. Never serious about anything. Just tries to see who he can get to respond before he gets his next ban.
Rabbit out of the Hat straight to the grill!
Pretending for a second that you really did have a show. And that it was for vegans (we all know you simply don't have such a show, but lets play a long). Would your missing legs present a problem? Also how would they react if you told them a giant Watermelon took off with them?
Also, avoid performing any material by Eugene 'Burger'.
I heard that "Animental" by Danny Archer comes in flavored packs now, so you might want to avoid those, haha :) j/k!
[quote]
On 2008-06-02 18:09, coupcoupdaddy wrote:
All should recall that Patient One was affiliated with the We Want Your Soul folks, so take heed. And, he refused to meet with Corona on at least one occasion so I don't think he's from North Dakota anymore either.
[/quote]

I do not understand this at all as I have never been a part of the group mentioned above, whatever that is.
I have never refused to meet anyone called Corona, I don't know what your talking about.

[quote]
On 2008-06-02 16:34, abraxus wrote:
By the way, I would suggest you cry little white lard tears until you have enough of them to create a small cow, thus symbolising what we are doing to our bodies, as well as the spiritual side to mass slaughter...
[/quote]

This sounds more like bizarre magic than mentalism, perhaps it will be an e-book. If you cry tears of lard Alan, I think it is probaly time to eat a more healthy diet.

I asked my question in seriousness as when I last performed for a radical vegan group they attacked me when I pulled out my leather wallet, which I had not expected.
Cold reading not really your forte?

Destiny
[quote]
On 2008-06-03 09:30, Patient One wrote:

I asked my question in seriousness as when I last performed for a radical vegan group they attacked me when I pulled out my leather wallet, which I had not expected.
[/quote]

I make special wallets from Hemp. They are a peak, card load, etc wallet. I am sure your pretend group would like it.
This is not a pretend group and they would be very angered if they heard you say this. Please provide eveidence or reasoning why you would think it is pretend? Do you simply believe that vegan people do not exist??? That is a little bit crazy Nat.
[quote]
On 2008-06-03 11:05, chichi711 wrote:
[quote]

[/quote]

I make special wallets from Hemp. They are a peak, card load, etc wallet. I am sure your pretend group would like it.
[/quote]

Just don't use them as fire wallets. ;)
[quote]
On 2008-06-03 11:19, Tony Iacoviello wrote:
[quote]
On 2008-06-03 11:05, chichi711 wrote:
[quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Just don't use them as fire wallets. ;)
[/quote]
Well in pretend world there is no fire, so that takes care of that issue. I have had a few of the people try to suck on the wallet, so that of course is gross and kind of slows down the show, but other than that the hemp wallets are great and in Patient Ones pretend world would work out rather well.
My son is vegan and so are several of my nieces and nephews. I'd still do the Rabbit from Hat to Grill! :bat:
[quote]
On 2008-06-03 11:18, Patient One wrote:
This is not a pretend group and they would be very angered if they heard you say this. Please provide eveidence or reasoning why you would think it is pretend? Do you simply believe that vegan people do not exist??? That is a little bit crazy Nat.
[/quote]

Vegans are real. I have a sister that is a vegan and a cousin. You just are not going to perform for any. that's the not real part.
[quote]
On 2008-06-02 15:29, mescalitoeyes wrote:
I'm pretty sure that all the effects I perform are Vegan friendly (by the way, simply using that phrase "whilst treating them like normal people" could do the very thing you are hoping to avoid. I don't see how someone being vegan is going to effect their enjoyment of the superb routines you will no doubt use..
But I believe Mr Redford is Vegan, why not pm him see if he has any advice, you might want to rephrase your question though.

Andy
[/quote]

Vegan's are just like everyone else and eat just like everyone else without the animals. There are different levels of veganism and from person to person extremism may vary. There are radicals in any walk of life that take it to extremes and for this, sadly, veganism has gotten a bad reputation in some circles as we as humans tend to lump things into categories and assume everything in that category is the same.

Some of my best friends are meat eaters and I don't feel the need to customize my show for them. On the other hand, I don't feel the need to customize my show for a Vegan group unless I'm trying to deliver a message on their behalf. This, though, would be my rule for any engagement I work. Now, I am careful about what material is in the show itself as I don't want to offend anyone. The first rule of not offending folks is choosing the material wisely. I'm not speaking about the effects alone but the scripting and bits of business that fall right along side.

In the world we live in, we're all bound to offend someone at some point in time unintentionally or otherwise. While some Vegan's are more vocal and rude than others or are more discrete and polite in promoting their believes, I find the rest of society to be generally consistent in upholding the same strict values.

Something you might not be aware of is that there are some Vegans who don't limit themselves to animal rights alone but extend this to being against cruelty of all living beings.

On the subject of leather goods (wallets, shoes, etc) I personally own and use a genuine leather wallet that I purchased prior to becoming Vegan. While everything else in my wardrobe generally is animal and cruelty free I don't suspect these folks expect you to walk in being anything less or more than your normal show promotes. Now I'm not saying folks wouldn't be offended if you went out of your way to insult. Just be respectful as I assume you would in any like situation. If they hired you, I assume they're familiar with your product. Just relax, we're people and some of us are pretty dang nice too.

Kind Regards,

George Tait

p.s. If you'd like to talk more, send me an email or PM.
[quote]On Jun 3, 2008, chichi711 wrote:
[quote]

[/quote]

I make special wallets from Hemp. They are a peak, card load, etc wallet. I am sure your pretend group would like it. [/quote]

I know this was a long time ago and you might not have been serious, but are these wallets real? I'm vegan, and a new magician, and I don't want to buy something cheap or something leather