(Close Window)
Topic: Taking care of nails for human blockhead
Those of you that do this regularly, a few questions;

**How do you take care of/store your nails between use?
I ask since I have found if I don't use the nails for a month or so, they get tarnished and kind of rusty.

**Do you just use nails from your hardware store?
I just pick up a few at the store, but I know some use specially made ones that look identical to hardware store nails, but they are in fact surgical stainless steel - do you use these?

**Do you disinfect your nails?
I never have, but I know I should.
When I did this in 7th grade, I just sold the used nails to other kids for $5.00 each.
Message: Posted by: thegreatnippulini (Jun 11, 2008 04:27PM)
That's just plain horrible... in every sense of your post. Doing blockhead in school to show off how "cool" you are... you earn ZERO respect from me at this point.

Auktionman, PM me about purchasing hand forged custom surgical stainless steel nails from me. I'm sure this thread will explode with a lot of truly experienced professional sideshow performers to help.
I just pound mine into a pine block between shows...
It's softer than my head and the natural disinfectants in the wood solve the rest of my ills.

Nips nails, however, don't even need that treatment... always in my pocket ready for a sudden unexpected performance.
Talk to The Great Nippulini his nails are the best, you won't have to worry about rusting or anything like that. They are true works of art and I would never use anything else.

Also I don't really understand the point of bragging that you would shove nails in your nose in 7th grade, a lot of people in this area of The Café will end up finding that pretty demeaning to what we do. Don't think that was your intention but figured I'd give you a word of warning.

I'm assuming from your screen name that you are a mentalist, so I'll forgive you for that too :) jk
When I've done it, I used isopropyl alcohol prior to the insertion. I do not know for sure but I do not think a little rust will cause any damage (as long as its clean rust:)
Before a show, I wash mine off (if they look dirty) with soap and a sponge, then dry them carefully. Repeat until nothing is coming off on the drying towel.

I used to be a stickler about wiping them down with an alcohol swab, as well as flushing my nose with saline solution before and after, but I've slacked off that. So far, it hasn't caused a problem. So far.

You could put a very light coat of cooking oil or perhaps petroleum jelly on the nail before storing it; that should delay the formation of rust.

Harley and Todd will probably have the most definitive information on this.

I have heard nothing but rave reviews of Nip's nails. The only reason I don't use then is that I give my nail to my volunteer after the routine.
Thegreatnippulini,

I'm 42 years old. That happened when I was 15. Nobody was hurt, so I can laugh about it now.
And incidentally, I had to stay after school for a week. So I've already been punished thank you very much.
In 7th grade they punished you for it ... now they PAY you!
Thank you Starrpower.

Seriosuly gents. It was meant to be a tale of youthful folly 27 years ago. Not "bragging" (sheese).

I also joke about getting arrested at that age. That's not bragging either.

(To think that people say mentalists take themselves too seriosuly.)

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread.
Heh... trying disinfecting every nail before and after every show doing a grind show with 15 shows a night. Not saying it's a bad idea, but unless your nicking up your nasal cavity or using completely rusty nails I don't see getting an infection being very likely. Nothing wrong with being safe but a disinfected nail is not my top priority.

PS Licking the nail to lubricate it gives some sterilization.
Good point, Erik - I don't wash the nails before each performance, if I'm doing multiple shows, just before the first one.
Message: Posted by: thegreatnippulini (Jun 12, 2008 08:23AM)
Sorry Experiman.... I checked your profile before I posted so as not to make this mistake, but your profile shows nothing about you so I assumed the worst. I just HAVE to hear how you got arrested in the 7th grade. Still trying to figure out how you were 15 in the 7th grade tho...

Candini... "cleean rust"? My blacksmithing buddies are gonna LOVE that one!

Erik, licking the nail does NOT give it ANY bit of sterility, you need an autoclave for sterilization and running a regular nail through one of those would rust it out instantly. Your own saliva IS helpful in healing wounds though. Licking a nail is good lube though.

One of Auktionmans questions got ignored.... STORAGE, one of the most important things regarding metal items. Eliminate moisture by getting a waterproof container, similar to a travel toothbrush container and keeping only your nails in it. Even my patented stainless nails will rust if stored improperly. Stainless can't rust "on its own", but store it next to some rusty tools and it will spread, causing a permanent rusty spotting here and there on the nail surface.

One more thing (yeah I know)... if you happen to use a blowtorch in your act, I highly recommend that when you are done your show, you heat the nail just so it evaporates any liquid. Let it cool slightly, then generously rub petroleum jelly or beeswax into the metal. This does two things: 1. it kind of lubricates the surface, nice. 2. the wax/jelly will form a thin protective layer that will keep your mild steel nail from rusting, even in adverse conditions. Alcohol strips the oils on the surface of the nail, exposing the raw steel thus making it EASIER to rust so avoid doing this. You don't need to worry about sterility unless you break skin.
OK whatever age you are in 7th grade. That's when it happened. I think I had the bizarre idea that the blockhead bit would impress the chicks (it didn't).

And I was busted for breaking into one of those claw machines with the stuffed animals. I have absolutely no memory of why I would have done such a thing however. Just a misfit I guess.
Message: Posted by: thegreatnippulini (Jun 12, 2008 12:44PM)
Heh heh... I run the office at work and keep track of the time clock. One day while at a local watering hole I "accidentally" found that the time clock key fit into the skill crane's front window lock. Needless to say I soon found myself gifting cute stuffed animals to my loved one almost on a daily basis.

We're all misfits.
There are a lot of misfits here on the Café. But the only places we admit it, are here, and in the bizarrist threads. Honesty in everyday life!
Maybe "Sterilizing" was not quite the word I was looking for, what I was trying to point out is that Saliva has anti-bacterial properties and licking the nails removes a lot of dust and dirt on the nails. [quote]
On 2008-06-12 09:23, thegreatnippulini wrote:
Sorry Experiman.... I checked your profile before I posted so as not to make this mistake, but your profile shows nothing about you so I assumed the worst. I just HAVE to hear how you got arrested in the 7th grade. Still trying to figure out how you were 15 in the 7th grade tho...

Candini... "cleean rust"? My blacksmithing buddies are gonna LOVE that one!

Erik, licking the nail does NOT give it ANY bit of sterility, you need an autoclave for sterilization and running a regular nail through one of those would rust it out instantly. Your own saliva IS helpful in healing wounds though. Licking a nail is good lube though.

One of Auktionmans questions got ignored.... STORAGE, one of the most important things regarding metal items. Eliminate moisture by getting a waterproof container, similar to a travel toothbrush container and keeping only your nails in it. Even my patented stainless nails will rust if stored improperly. Stainless can't rust "on its own", but store it next to some rusty tools and it will spread, causing a permanent rusty spotting here and there on the nail surface.

One more thing (yeah I know)... if you happen to use a blowtorch in your act, I highly recommend that when you are done your show, you heat the nail just so it evaporates any liquid. Let it cool slightly, then generously rub petroleum jelly or beeswax into the metal. This does two things: 1. it kind of lubricates the surface, nice. 2. the wax/jelly will form a thin protective layer that will keep your mild steel nail from rusting, even in adverse conditions. Alcohol strips the oils on the surface of the nail, exposing the raw steel thus making it EASIER to rust so avoid doing this. You don't need to worry about sterility unless you break skin.
[/quote]
Message: Posted by: thegreatnippulini (Jun 17, 2008 07:31AM)
[quote]
On 2008-06-16 16:18, erikkloeker wrote:
Saliva has anti-bacterial properties and licking the nails removes a lot of dust and dirt on the nails. [/quote]

Nope, still wrong. Each persons saliva has ENZYMES that are beneficial to each ones own wounds. That's it. Spit will NOT kill bacteria, matter of fact it actually provides what is referred to as a "reservoir" for bacteria to live and multiply. Saliva also contains the HIGHEST concentration of bacteria found anywhere in the human body. Be careful what of you say without knowing what it is that you mean to say.
We all have potty mouth. And enzymes.
Message: Posted by: thegreatnippulini (Jun 17, 2008 08:45AM)
Harley, if you have potty in your mouth you're gonna need all the enzymes you can find!
That's potting it mildly. Shall we can this one, before it overflows?
It's his potty, and he'll cry if he wants to.
Here we go on a royal flush!
Saliva is the watery and usually frothy substance produced in the mouths of humans and most other animals. Saliva is produced in and secreted from the salivary glands. Human saliva is composed of 98% water, the remainder of which includes electrolytes, mucus, **antibacterial compounds**, and various enzymes.

- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saliva

Saliva contains Antibacterial compounds including thiocyanate, hydrogen peroxide, and secretory immunoglobulin A.

Yes Saliva contains a lot of bacteria, but not a lot of bacteria that would be considered harmful to a human, the vast majority of this bacteria exists to help break down foods, this is unique in the sense that most mammal digestion does not start until the food reaches the stomach, ours however starts immediately. Little or NONE of the bacteria found in a humans saliva under normal circumstances is harmful to humans.

In ancient Egypt the wounded would have dogs lick their wounds, some people say that this quickened healing because the dog's mouth is cleaner than the humans, and although the dogs mouth does have less bacteria than a humans... this is not likely to be true. Another hypothesis to the speedy healing is a substance found in a dogs saliva called "NGF" or nerve growth factor which has been proven to speed healing when Saliva is used on the wounds of the same species. The bottom line is that a dog has substances in it's Salvia that are infectious to humans and the Egyptians having dogs lick their wounds likely only helped because it removed dirt and foreign substances from the wounds.

[quote]
On 2008-06-17 08:31, thegreatnippulini wrote:
[quote]
On 2008-06-16 16:18, erikkloeker wrote:
Saliva has anti-bacterial properties and licking the nails removes a lot of dust and dirt on the nails. [/quote]

Nope, still wrong. Each persons saliva has ENZYMES that are beneficial to each ones own wounds. That's it. Spit will NOT kill bacteria, matter of fact it actually provides what is referred to as a "reservoir" for bacteria to live and multiply. Saliva also contains the HIGHEST concentration of bacteria found anywhere in the human body. Be careful what of you say without knowing what it is that you mean to say.
[/quote]
Store your nails with a stick of chalk. In a small zip lock bag. Try to get most of the air out before you zip it up. The chalk will absorb any moisture that gets in.

Trey
Message: Posted by: thegreatnippulini (Jun 17, 2008 01:58PM)
Erik, I have no idea why you desire to keep this going. You're young, so I'll cut you some slack. Regardless of Wikipedia (which is NOT based on textbooks, but relies on whoever contribute information), I have over a decade of experience (15 years to be exact) with the biomechanics of body fluids and superficial wound healing and stand by my "based upon experience" professional opinion that saliva is NOT antibacterial, in fact it would be close to impossible for it to be, if it were we would all be dead. Cut copy and paste is NOT research, I have multiple certification for BBP and CPR, learn by doing not reading. Yes, the bacteria in your own saliva is harmless to you, but if it is introduced into ANOTHER persons system it can wreak havoc. Look up "trenchmouth"... this is why we do not share toothbrushes and used floss. Making out is risky business which is why teenagers are at highest risk for mononucleosis. You have a cut or wound in your mouth? You can get/transmit HIV and Hep B and/or C. I'm not trying to flame you here, but I notcied that each and every time you posting something, you are saying WAY inaccurate info... to the wrong reader, this could be deadly.

I'm waiting for Jeremy Sweiss to comment as he has a doctorate... BTW, what certifiactions do YOU have Erik? Diploma? GED?
Keep nails shuved into hard sponge for transportation and absorbtion. When I remember which is not often, dip them into dissinfectant before use,,,lick and shove it in.

When doing this for a living the niceties of the job are forgotten.

Ken (Qualified B.U.M.) British Underground Magician !!!
Message: Posted by: thegreatnippulini (Jun 17, 2008 02:07PM)
BUM? You shouldn't store your nails THERE!! It would interfere with the potty.
It's his potty and he'll. . .

. . .oh my life is soooo empty.
Nippulini,

I'm not seeing where you are going with this... I'm glad you have a decade of experience piercing... I'm not coming from that background. I am coming from the background of common sense and a working performer who performs the stunt in question over a 1000 times a year. That being said I do believe I am qualified, regardless my age, to comment, give suggestions, or even teach (which I don't) the stunt in question. Furthermore what I am saying is not as you put it "WAY inaccurate info" I have infact said absolutely nothing inaccurate. I don't understand how you can sit there and say that Saliva "in your professional opinion" has is not antibacterial, when I just stated that Saliva DOES have antibacterial agents in it and gave you those specific antibacterial agents.

Please remember I mean no harsh regards, and to all who are reading I could careless if you take advice from me or not, that is your personal desicion. I will not however sit here and be called wrong by someone who does not even perform the stunt professionally.

[quote]
On 2008-06-17 14:58, thegreatnippulini wrote:
Erik, I have no idea why you desire to keep this going. You're young, so I'll cut you some slack. Regardless of Wikipedia (which is NOT based on textbooks, but relies on whoever contribute information), I have over a decade of experience (15 years to be exact) with the biomechanics of body fluids and superficial wound healing and stand by my "based upon experience" professional opinion that saliva is NOT antibacterial, in fact it would be close to impossible for it to be, if it were we would all be dead. Cut copy and paste is NOT research, I have multiple certification for BBP and CPR, learn by doing not reading. Yes, the bacteria in your own saliva is harmless to you, but if it is introduced into ANOTHER persons system it can wreak havoc. Look up "trenchmouth"... this is why we do not share toothbrushes and used floss. Making out is risky business which is why teenagers are at highest risk for mononucleosis. You have a cut or wound in your mouth? You can get/transmit HIV and Hep B and/or C. I'm not trying to flame you here, but I notcied that each and every time you posting something, you are saying WAY inaccurate info... to the wrong reader, this could be deadly.

I'm waiting for Jeremy Sweiss to comment as he has a doctorate... BTW, what certifiactions do YOU have Erik? Diploma? GED?
[/quote]
Deja vu.

Didn't an argument about spit come up a few years back?

Brett.

Oh and let me add to the praise of Nips Nails. "They're great!"
Perhaps this is just a tomato/tomahto kind of thing--

From World Anatomy and Physiology:
"Because saliva contains an antibacterial lysozyme that lyses bacteria (ruptures bacterial cells), adequate amounts of saliva in the mouth also reduce the amount of bacteria in the oral cavity."

From Pathophysiology of the Digestive System:
"Saliva also contains lysozyme, an enzyme that lyses many bacteria and prevents overgrowth of oral microbial populations."

Sounds like saliva contains an enzyme (like Nipps said) that destroys bacteria, and is therefore antibacterial (like Erik said).

So you're both right! Isn't that great? So, hug it out, guys.

Of course, none of this means that it necessarily has any effect on bacteria outside of the oral cavity. . .
Stephon,

Good enough for me! :)
Message: Posted by: thegreatnippulini (Jun 18, 2008 07:09AM)
[quote]
On 2008-06-17 17:15, erikkloeker wrote:
I have infact said absolutely nothing inaccurate. [/quote]

Did you or did you not say that you can use saliva to sterilize?

[quote] I will not however sit here and be called wrong by someone who does not even perform the stunt professionally.
[/quote]

Now THAT was uncalled for.... you obviously do not know me. And I stand by my words as Stephon echoes it in his final comment.... the antibacterial qualities of the ENZYMES means nothing outside the oral cavity.

Oh and by the way Erik, I never said ANYTHING about your experience as someone who can put a nail in his head, something I'm sure only you can do... right? Otherwise you are a piece of paper flittering down the highway.
Maybe it's time to let spitting dogs lyse?
Or lieing dogs spit !!
Message: Posted by: thegreatnippulini (Jun 18, 2008 11:11AM)
Your puns are so drool.
Yes I did say sterilize, was it the word I was looking for? No. Was it incorrect? No.

"sterˇilˇize (str-lz)
tr.v. sterˇilˇized, sterˇilˇizˇing, sterˇilˇizˇes
1. To make free from live bacteria or other microorganisms."

"Anti-Bacterial" kills bacteria... therefore sterilizing. Nuff said.

As a final statement on this subject, let me say something that you can relate to, In my line of work as a sideshow performer would I use spit to sterilize and lubricate a nail that is about to go into my nasal cavity, where it will not be puncturing the skin or entering the bloodstream? Absolutely. Would I use spit to sterilize a needle or piercing instrument I am about to pierce a customer with? HELLLL NO! Nippullini I believe we are coming from two different worlds on this subject, we are however not far from common ground.

I (and I'm sure the others on the magic Café) would very much like to let this go, it is frivolous, pointless, and is not unnecessary on a forum where people enjoy learning things and making new friends or keeping in touch with old ones.

Sincerely,

Erik Kloeker
Message: Posted by: thegreatnippulini (Jun 18, 2008 11:46AM)
You're right... I am completely wrong. Everyone here should store their nails in a jar of spit.

I will throw away my autoclaves, ultrasonic machines and gluteraldehyde tool baths and replace them all with antibacterial soap.

Look out.... a strong gust of wind is coming

Whoooosh!
Dude... did you read a thing I just said??
Message: Posted by: thegreatnippulini (Jun 18, 2008 12:39PM)
Whoooosh!!! (piece of paper flittering down the highway)
Message: Posted by: thegreatnippulini (Jun 18, 2008 12:41PM)
I like this.... I am getting a serious post number boost with this crap.... I will be in the "Inner Circle" anytime soon!

Whooooosh!
Message: Posted by: thegreatnippulini (Jun 18, 2008 12:42PM)
I also notice how you're doing this pi$$ing contest to see who gets the last word.

Whoooooooooooosh!! You have now turned into an empty styrofoam cup once used as an ashtray.
Message: Posted by: thegreatnippulini (Jun 18, 2008 12:44PM)
Of course I am also ignoring my own advise about not arguing with an idiot.... I always lose and risk being confused with who I am arguing with.

Whoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooosh!!
Message: Posted by: thegreatnippulini (Jun 18, 2008 12:46PM)
Oh, and Erik... check your pulse. I assume by the gross amount of spelling and grammar errors that this is increasing your heart rate and blood pressure. I on the other hand do not have shakey hands while typing.

Whooooooooooooooooooooooosh!!!
Shoot if speeling is anythgint to do with pulse myne moost be in the larte 90s may be even over 100?

Nips just to add .......

as a microbiologist (althogh I have grown recently .... groan) and a cahrtered member of the institute of biology and teacher of science - I have to say that you are right here - going on true defenitions of words (and not what some snot noes twit has put in to wikipedia (i edited it once to say I was hte best thing since sliced bread! Must be true then!) Antibacterial and sterile are NOT interechangeable. And antibacterial has several meanings - you can get bacteriostatic and bacteriocydal. But if saliva was an uber antibacteria and killed off all the bacteria there would be less need for acid in our stomachs.

What saliva does have is antibodies. But again not useful outside the body!

Saying that I still lick my nails .... I'm trying to give up biting them adn a lick every now and hten keeps me going ;)

I like kens ide of keeping em in foam - it keeps em clean and organised as well! I can take them out of my case and offer htem to a volenteer ready to go - no problems - easy peasy adn then it goes back in the foam so I know I aint lost it and ready for next gig.

IN terms of after show - of if you dry them fully - not oly wil it slow rust down (happens fastewr in precensce of water). But the one thing that will kill ALL vegetative bacterial cells (notice I am careful with my workding because of bacillus sterothermophylus and other spore forming bacetria) is descication. that's lack of water Ken :) not htat you would know anythign about that being an ex plummer ;) one of the best ways to kill bacetia is dry them out - the need water to survive without it they die.

Although as nips said earlier autocalving is great for steralizing (removal of ALL bacetia and other forms of lif).

Question nips if a nail is infected with a small animal - say a dog or a cat - will autocalving get rid of the dog as well? can it be surved up after? Mmmmmm steamed dog.
Message: Posted by: thegreatnippulini (Jun 18, 2008 01:10PM)
Depends on what part of Chinatown you are in
OK to clarify,,,stick nails in cavity B.U.M. then lick nails before pushing into smaller cavity.

Take applause, then lick nails clean.

Replace in foam.

Then spew up,,,,, this clears all the nasty bugs out of the system for sure.

For the serious pro,,,who likes his nails warmed up,,,then dip in the sick and carry on as directed above.

Didn`t meen to divulge these secrets on a pubic Forum but there ya go.

Ken.
Ken .....

remember we are talking to Yanks! we may need to drop it down a level or 10.

May be we shoudl explain that Spew means the same as:-

Blow chinks,
throw up,
sick up
be sick

or to put it neatly vomit!
Message: Posted by: thegreatnippulini (Jun 18, 2008 03:10PM)
Sometimes here in US we refer to it as:

Driving the porcelain bus
The technicolor yawn
Talking to Ralph
Talking to Earl (hurl)
and yes, we say "spew" as well.
Um ... it's blow CHUNKS, not chinks ... but if you are vulgar AND racist, blowing chinks can lead this conversation into an entirely new toilet bowl ...

At the risk of opening a new can of worms, what's wrong with simply wiping the nails with alcohol (which, in my case, would make the saliva argument moot)?
As a blacksmith and "metalculturalist", it's not good for the steel. Common nails are made of low grade mild steel. It rusts real fast, so wiping with alcohol strips the surface oils (from handling, etc) exposing the metal to get oxidized more rapidly. This is why I started making stainless nails for the sideshow industry as you can pretty much do anything to them and they won't rust (on their own). It's all in the steel, I use 316L steel. Put THAT in a search engine, you'll be amazed at how much the steel is used for its anti-corrosive qualities.

I'm in the process of putting together a page for everyone to order items. It's
http://greatnippulini.com/sideshow.html
It'll be ready by 6:00 PM EST
[quote]
On 2008-06-18 00:04, Stephon wrote:
Of course, none of this means that it necessarily has any effect on bacteria outside of the oral cavity. . .
[/quote]It appears science has answered this question.

A report has come out of the Netherlands identifying the component of saliva that aids in healing. An article about it is [url=http://esciencenews.com/articles/2008/07/23/licking.your.wounds.scientists.isolate.compound.human.saliva.speeds.wound.healing]here[/url].

The relevant quote is, "Specifically, scientists found that histatin, a small protein in saliva previously only believed to kill bacteria was responsible for the healing."

It also appears that it does not have to be your own saliva, but that anyone's saliva is both antibacterial and curative.

However, this still does not address such factors as time and environment as related to using spit to clean your nails.
So, we should get an audience member to run our nails around in their mouth.

I thought that public sharing of bodily fluids was generally frowned upon, in this day and age. But what do I know about polite society?
[quote]
On 2008-07-26 15:17, Harley Newman wrote:
So, we should get an audience member to run our nails around in their mouth.[/quote]

Only after we use them.

so if we get a cut we should get eveyone in teh area to spit on us? :) Ewhhh

I agree with stephon though - get the specs to clean our nails after we used them...... I am sure we wont getany voleneteers!

But you could offer 14 pounds ....... and give them a stone. (oviously don't work in america).
Message: Posted by: The Village Idiots (Jul 27, 2008 02:22PM)
I like bullies less than know it alls.

Buy cheap nails at the hardware store and have them chromed for fifty cents then give them away to prove they are real. Don't buy expensive nails that you worry about losing unless you want to put the nails on display and not yourself.
[quote]
On 2008-06-17 17:15, erikkloeker wrote:
Nippulini,

I'm not seeing where you are going with this... I'm glad you have a decade of experience piercing... I'm not coming from that background. I am coming from the background of common sense and a working performer who performs the stunt in question over a 1000 times a year. That being said I do believe I am qualified, regardless my age, to comment, give suggestions, or even teach (which I don't) the stunt in question. Furthermore what I am saying is not as you put it "WAY inaccurate info" I have infact said absolutely nothing inaccurate. I don't understand how you can sit there and say that Saliva "in your professional opinion" has is not antibacterial, when I just stated that Saliva DOES have antibacterial agents in it and gave you those specific antibacterial agents.

[/quote]

You need to check your information. If anything licking the nail is just going to add more bacteria to it. Just because you haven't gotten sick doing the stunt doesn't mean it's because your saliva sterilized the nail. A doctor would have a fit if somebody tried to sterilize a needle or any other surface for that matter with saliva.
I'm not sure who you are "Maestro" but if you knew anything about the human blockhead act, you would know that it is common practice to lick the nail before insertion for lubrication purposes. Furthermore when done by a professional the nail does not cause bleeding or enter the bloodstream therefore the blockhead instrument does not necessarily have to be as sterile as an instrument used by a piercer. Also the Nasal Cavity is connected to the mouth and throat therefore much of the same bacteria is present in both locations. I don't understand why this has become such a heated issue, I am not discouraging anyone from sterilizing their blockhead instruments, only pointing out that it is not always practical to sterilize before and after each insertion therefore licking the nail helps keep the nail clean.
Apparently you did not read the article Stephon posted maestro?
It's hard to take someone seriously when the occupation listed on their profile is "boobs"
So he is twice as much o a T!T as I am then?

Why list it as that - it not like its "funny" like boob inspector or something (theyused to have theat on hats in blackpool when I was a kid - always wondered what teh qualification was - obviously beeing a boob is a good start).
Message: Posted by: thegreatnippulini (Jul 28, 2008 08:10AM)
Wow!!! What has happened here? At first I thought Erik was giving me more sh!t until I checked out "Maestros" profile. Boobs?!?! If ANYONE can use that as an occupation, it's me! Actually, it IS my occupation, both on and off stage. I've pierced over 5,000 sets of nipples in my career... maybe not boobs, but even so, the guy is an idiot... I can't believe I'm saying this, but way to go Erik!

It would take a village idiot to expect to chrome plate a nail and expect to pay only $0.50, obviously someone doesn't know the first thing about metal and how it works. The cleaning cycle prior to nickel plating costs more than that, let alone the Nickel process followed by the Chromium process. This doesn't even come close to what electro plating companies have to deal with by the government for the HAZMAT laws they have to abide by. The toxicity of the materials they use are deadly! Plus the cost of chromium is going up, as is the plating process due to these laws. Also, ALL electroplated chrome items WILL flake and chip the chromium layer off, revealing a nasty soft tissue cutting edge... not to mention an underlying mild steel (A-36) that will rust like cancer on a kid living near power lines. Your chrome plated nail also would fail in an autoclave. If you don't have to worry about giving away your nail, go with what will outlive you: my hand forged surgical stainless steel nail.

Message: Posted by: thegreatnippulini (Jul 28, 2008 08:15AM)
From one of my blacksmith buddies:

"Step 1 is to check with your local, state and federal EPA folks. The requirements for even a tiny chrome plating setup are tough. You will have to have a fume scrubber to legally plate. This scrubber must be tested before you startup. This test is about $5,000 per test. Next is waste treatment: very expensive and all of your tanks including rinse tanks are considered hazardous waste material. Disposal runs over 500 per drum. You need a generators permit before you start. Typical fines for even minor labeling violations are $500 to $5000 per offence per day. There is a great amount of technique in chrome plating. Where do you plan to learn this?? For decorative chrome, you will need a duplex nickel undercoat. If it will require buffing, you will want a copper first layer. You will need a rudimentry laboratory to control each of the tanks. Are you a chemist or a technician? In short, plating is not a suitable hobby and chrome plating is a terrible hobby. You have a very very tiny probability of making a buck. Existing chrome shops are going out of business each month."

$0.50 per nail? In short, a chroming set up fee could cost you between $5 to $15 per nail... close to what I charge for a far more superior product. The 316L steel I use is the same steel in nuclear facilities, I'm sure some arrogant douch3bag didn't pop his head in a board meeting and say "Hey, why not just chrome plate everything?" ....guy, stop trying to interfering with my business.
Message: Posted by: The Village Idiots (Jul 28, 2008 08:41AM)
6 years ago we had 200 nails chromed in St. Louis MO and they were 50 cents per. I used 100 of them for the outside rows on my BON (makes the BON look fantastic and aids in cleaning the apple off) and the other half for blockhead. My fans say they are as shiney as the day I gave them away.

The price may have went up since then but I doubt that drastic. It may have jumped to a dollar! Still a cheap give away and if you give them away they know they aren't "trick" nails.

I don't tell anyone what to do.

Regards,
Will
Message: Posted by: thegreatnippulini (Jul 28, 2008 08:48AM)
Dude, you said this:

[quote]
On 2008-07-27 15:22, The Village Idiots wrote:
Don't buy expensive nails... unless you want to put the nails on display and not yourself.
[/quote]

So, you basically did tell people to not buy my nails for stage use. I think your idea is great for a give away, but my nails are forever and will stand the test of time for PERFORMERS! If you want proofing, have a volunteer whack one into a 2x4.

$100 for a box of nails is normal, but that is the set-up cost you'd have to pay if you even wanted only 10 nails chromed. It's done by the job, not by the quantity. You'd be surprised how much things have gone up in price in the metalworking industry.

Buy expensive nails, they will outlast YOU!
Then you can be fixed to your crusifix with them / coffin nailed shut with them / metletd and your urn made form them / have it put in your noes at your funeral (that would be great! - if in 300 years time a new version of Tony Robinson is with a group diggigng up stuff and find a skull wiht a nail in the nasal cavity with the nail as good as new :) )

keep the ideas comming - how to use your nails after you die.......

used to nail a plaque in to the tree next to your grave saying here lies block head.