(Close Window)
Topic: Smoke chamber
I have some questions about building a smoke chamber,

Do you think its practical to build a smoke chamber? Do you think its a cool trick ? Is it really hard to build?

Thanks
-Max
I recently bought the Osborne smoke chamber plans with the intention of building one; however, due to time constraints & other committments, I have decided to buy one instead. If you are fairly proficient with bases, the building part of it should be no problem. The small, battery operated fog machines that Osborne suggests will cost you a pretty penny; probably be the most expensive part of building it yourself....however, you can use a standard fog machine(s); just depends on whether you are close enough to an electrical outlet and don't mind being tied down to the electrical cord. Under the right staging conditions, I think it is a really neat effect.
Max,

The Smoke Chamber is a great illusion and a very magical way for the magician to make his appearance.

However, unless you are constantly performing in theatres and performing arts centers, you will rarely be able to use it as the amount of smoke (even in a double walled model) will set off the smoke detectors consistently in most every venue you work.

Even when we perform for large corporate gala events, often held in large ballrooms, we can't use the Smoke Chamber for that very reason. We have a few illusions that will sub in for the Smoke Chamber in those situations.

Sincerely,
David
Dear Dbearden,

I would like to know where you bought yours I am considering buying one too.

Thanks
-Max
Send me an email: dbearden@otelco.net and I will be happy to share the info.
David
David Garrity I have heard that there is a smoke machine that doesn't set off smoke alarms, but I forgot where I found it.
Found this on the web (posted in April):

[quote]"Basically (and I hope you've got this message from the other responses) there is NO smoke machine that you can buy or hire that won't set off smoke detectors.

So assuming you're going in to a venue which HAS detectors, you have just two options:

1. Talk to the venue WELL in advance to see if they have any set procedures that will allow them to turn off the detectors in any way to help you out (you will NOT be able to do this yourself).
or
2. Don't use smoke/haze.

Simple. [/quote]
But I thought the smoke is produced by a special type of liquid... or is this just a fogger? Are we talking about the same thing here... a smoke machine or a fogger? If they are different it doesn't seem likely that a the special liquid would set off smoke alarms because it is what DJ's use for lighting effects in clubs and parties. But if they are different couldn't you just use a fogger?
As a note, most of our major hotels here will not even allow dry ice. I guess they don't want to have ANY issues.
B