(Close Window)
Topic: Dances with ropes now has it all
The Dances with ropes routine is an evolution of moves that stemmed from my 33 years of lectures. Magicians who have been buying the DVD had been getting different versions each month as I keep adding effects and new moves.
The June version was pretty much the difinitive DVD, but fans and buyers wound up getting my older DVD on rope effects from my lecture as well.
I have decided to publish Dances with Ropes as a compilation of all of my rope effects. Beginning in Mid July, the edit will be complete and ready for shipment.

The final DVD will include:
Dances with Ropes routine where four new and original methods for Professors nightmare are combined into one logical and non-repetitive effect, then enteres into linking ropes and then has the surprise finale moves.

A second Dances with ropes routine where there is no setup but includes the Professors nightmare effects with Linking ropes.

Loops- where the specator does the cut and restored for the magician.

Professor Ian's nightmare- a non gimmicked professors nightmare where the long ropes are tossed out into the audience. This also is done with red, white, and blue ropes.

The cut and restored and subtleties from the lecture will be added to the DVD along with a change bag technique.

Plus, a simple ungimicked linking ropes, using only standard rope.

The new compilation is $50, unadvertised, and includes a set of linking ropes.

Those of you who do Fiber Optics and Tabary rope will be able to combine my moves with theirs, as the new professors effects are fast and unexpected.

E-mail me for your reserved copy.
Oh my! We have been waiting for this Ian.

By the way, Ian's email address is: MagicIanS@aol.com

It will be a bargain!

Andy
I am happy I waited - this looks great!
Buy Ian rope stuff. You will love it.
Forgive my ignorance, but what are "ling ropes"? I am not a rope person (but am interested in learning). Is this a typo or is it a term that I am not familiar with?

Thanks
Dan
Slartibartfast,

It should read "linking". I fixed it.
Thanks, Andy..by the time I caught the typo..I couldn't get back to edit it.
I talk funny like that too.
---------
The original effect was devised due to requests from Magic Café rope afficionados. I kept adding moves and it evolved into really cool components.
Then, as I said, most guys who got the Dances DVD wound up wanting the rest of my rope effects.
I hope to be completed with the last effect over this weekend.
-Thanks to all
Thanks for the clarification. I figured it was a typo, but sometimes specialties have their own jargon.

Now, would this video be appropriate for a total beginner in rope magic, or should I start somewhere else first?
Well, I have been known for simplicity. And, there will be a mix of easy, medium and just plain slick. There is even a slightly impossible in there (just kidding).
I include my own basic version of cut and restored and that is good for a beginner because then they don't have the bad habits of doing it the standard way and relearning it.

I have the standard professors nightmare, plus 3 magicians foolers, plus 3 additional methods that are simple, different and just great.

Then, I include "loops" a simple cut and restored that allows the specator to cut and restore the rope in their hands.

There are three methods for linking ropes, and you get a set of them with the deal, then an experimental version of Walking knot..ungimmicked.

There will not be anything that is covered elsewhere so Daryl, Tabary and Sanders methods are NOT in the DVD.

There is some repetition of teaching, as I am not reshooting the DVD, just combining my lecture with the Dances with Ropes. I am adding one additional effect which is why I am still working on it this weekend (12th/13th of July).

This will be ready to send on Tuesday if all goes well.

Thanks,
-Ian
Just wanted to update. The latest and most likely last version of Dances with Rope and the Bonus material has been going out to rave reviews and DVD satisfaction (pixel glitches are gone).
If you are new to rope or an old timer, there is something new in this DVD for all.
This is not a rehash of someone elses work, 5% derivation, 95% original.
I teach technique, and you become the star.
You can fool magicians and layman alike.
Thanks for all your support.
Kindly list reviews here!!!
Magic Ian,

Your routine won second at SEAM in the Stage Competition. Nothing would have beaten the routine (Indoor Lighting) done by the winner. The rope routine fooled a lot of the old timers. It is a killer.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Was it Dorian LaChance in the senior? If it was, Dorian was one of the first buyers of the effect way back in January. He hasn't gotten the updated final version, so I am impressed.
Recently, I watched a video of Dan Sylvester pulling rope through his ears. I was completely baffled until today I had an idea for a version using ear plugs. Although visual, this version requires set-up and you start out the trick with the rope hanging out your ears. I'd really like to find a better version if there are any. I'm just wondering how many of you can pull rope through your ears. For those of you who can,did you figure out how Dan Sylvester pulled rope through his ears, did you make up your own version of the trick, or did you buy the trick off of a website? For those of you who maybe bought the trick off a website, could you tell me the name of the website and the name of the trick?
[quote]
On 2008-08-27 17:28, dabah2014 wrote:
Recently, I watched a video of Dan Sylvester pulling rope through his ears. I was completely baffled until today I had an idea for a version using ear plugs. Although visual, this version requires set-up and you start out the trick with the rope hanging out your ears. I'd really like to find a better version if there are any. I'm just wondering how many of you can pull rope through your ears. For those of you who can,did you figure out how Dan Sylvester pulled rope through his ears, did you make up your own version of the trick, or did you buy the trick off of a website? For those of you who maybe bought the trick off a website, could you tell me the name of the website and the name of the trick?
[/quote]
Well this is on point. but maybe I can help.

There is the gag gimmick where you wear a "hearing aid" style head band and the illusion is perfect.

As far as Dan Sylvester, its alimentary my dear friend. Of course your question is how many can pull rope thru their ears when it should be why would anyone pull rope thru their ears.

In truth, most novelty shops sell this, the most likely to have that is Daytona magic, if you have to find one online. But any shop can order this item. Now, I could see a way to do this impromptu, but you still must wear the bracket. I would have the rope almost all the way thru so that one side can't be seen. Have the other end really long and tucked behind your ear and under your hair. Or wear a hat.
Show the long rope and have it on a holdout so as it comes out the other ear, it vanishes into your sleeve.
---------
I have a book 50 tricks with a ear-rope-pull coming out in May (just kidding).
----------------------
Seriously, I remember the effect is called mental floss (not to be confused with the mac King trick).
I can not recommend Dances with Ropes enough. It is an outstanding routine. I took second place at SEAM this year and I feel this rope routine was largely responsible for that. I knew when I saw the demo video that I wanted the effect and so I purchased it straight away and I haven't regretted it for one second. The feedback I got after the competition was priceless.

Dorian
There's a testimonial! Second place against some classy talent first time doing the effect. And, he doesn't have the updates yet!!
Truthfully, if you do even the basic effect, the magican's and layman alike will be blown away. The new version has more moves and extra effects as well.
Good job Dorian!
I received my DVD today. I haven't watched it all yet, but I've seen enough of Ian's material to know I'm gonna like it. I want to add what a class act I believe Ian Garrison to be and what a pleasure it's been to deal with him.
Hey Gordy using the same method as on the DVD, try this: Patriotic Professor
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1et1WA1xp4
Those of you who got the combination DVD with the updates and extra rope effects received a lot of content. In trying to put everything on one DVD I ran into some glitches which caused pixelation on some of the DVD's that went out.
The bonus package for $50 will now be a two DVD set. Putting it all on one DVD was just too much for some DVD players.
The Dances with ropes DVD now includes: ONLY routines updates and methods relating to doing the unique effect, 55 minutes of instruction. That will still sell for $39.95, and include a set of Linking ropes, postage included.
----------
My lecture rope effects: loops, tango, cut & restored methods, and other rope effects will be on a bonus DVD for an extra $10 if you buy Dances. My rope lecture will still be available separately for $20 to Café members.
---
Thanks to all those who were patient while I got the glitches out.
Loved Patriotic Professor.......I havent had a chance to sit down and look at the new DVD. I sure hope Patriotic professor is in there........ :)

Dorian
[quote]
On 2008-09-24 16:00, dlachance wrote:
Loved Patriotic Professor.......I havent had a chance to sit down and look at the new DVD. I sure hope Patriotic professor is in there........ :)

Dorian
[/quote]
Dorian,
The Patriotic professor works exactly the same a the opening effect on the DVD. Just use three colors instead of white.
-Ian
After a few techno-glitches, and some quality after sales support from Ian, I now have the 'Dances with Ropes' routine.
I have Tabary, Sanders, and Daryl. Up to now, my Fiber Optics based routine was what I used for close up work.. but 'Dances' is a real beautiful head-buster of a routine. Not hard to perform, - although I am not yet using commercially (until I get the fine detail perfected, this deserves the practice).
Well done Ian, I should be using this commercially in the next few weeks.
Want a superb, super visual, clever routine? Read the comments above, read this, watch the demo, then buy it.
Charlie
I too just recently received Ian's updated Dances With Ropes, what great material! I too am using a some inspiration from Tabary and Sanders to combine with moves from Dances. You are right Charlie...this material deserves a well thought and well practiced routine that just screams ENTERTAINMENT! I am so looking forward to incorporating more of Ian's moves into my own commercial act. Well done AGAIN Ian! And yes, Ian's service and response time is impeccable.
Recently received the DVD and several other items from Magic Ian - all great stuff! And Ian threw in some extra stuff because he's that kind of a guy.

I fried a few Cub Scouts last week when, after giving them ropes and walking them through the classic Professor's Nightmare routine (which is in the Cub Scout magic book), I shifted to a few moves from Dances, without showing them how it was done. They were all staring at the ropes in their hands afterwards saying "what the heck!?"
[quote]
On 2009-01-09 11:38, John Bowlin wrote:
I too just recently received Ian's updated Dances With Ropes, what great material! I too am using a some inspiration from Tabary and Sanders to combine with moves from Dances. You are right Charlie...this material deserves a well thought and well practiced routine that just screams ENTERTAINMENT! I am so looking forward to incorporating more of Ian's moves into my own commercial act. Well done AGAIN Ian! And yes, Ian's service and response time is impeccable.
[/quote]
John, you mention Tabary. At the creation of my Dance with Ropes effect, I had never seen the Tabary rope routine. I did view it about a year ago and fell in love with it. Thank goodness, none of my moves were in his teachings.
I bought the DVD yesterday, as there were two moves I really wanted to learn.
-------------
So, I watched the lesson and felt fantastick for two reasons. One, the fact that Tabary starts his effect with the same secret I use for starting Dances, and second, he has an alternate ending which use a similar move that I use in my lectures. That move (Tango rope), was what I thought to be an odd handling, but when Tabary did his version I felt vindicated.
---------------
I can now see where some of the clients of mine have combined some Tabary with some of my moves as they truely compliment each other at times. Now that I have studied the video, I will be doing transitions from tabary to my Dances, so as to make it easier for some to combine some of the moves.
----------------
I also just recently bought Sanders Fiber optics, and find similarity in the two effects (just a matter of speed). However, I am in love with the Tabary routine as it completes some of the Sands moves that I have been doing for years.
-----------------
Thank you all for your kind words on Dances with Ropes, I have more rope effects in the works. Dances has sold several hundred copies so far, and it has not gone National yet.
"not gone National yet"?

really? Wow..
[quote]
On 2009-01-14 00:00, yin_howe wrote:
"not gone National yet"?

really? Wow..
[/quote]
The ONLY buyers of this effect have been at my lecture on this (shown in Daytona, Orlando, and Tampa Florida), and on themagicCafe.com. It doesn't hit the stores til some time in March or April.
Close-up, surrounded, and with full lighting, I had the opportunity to do some walk-a-round magic for a group of 500. The partial routine of "Dances" resets itself after 6 minutes, but the effect does not look like it had a beginning or an end. I found it to be a perfect routine for walk-a-round or busking. I worked the crowd with the effect for over a half an hour and it never looked repetitive. The audience could drop in or leave at any time, or I could stop and then keep going from virtually any point of the routine.
I was also able to branch out into some George Sands methods, Garcia moves, then go back into "Dances" with flawless transitions. This is getting me really pumped up into making a video of the walk-a-round. What was cool, was that it was professor's nightmare on steroids. I started with familiar ground for layman and blew the roof off the place with the new methods.
I actually ruined the gimmicks and made an un-interrupted transition into an un-gimmicked version of the effect. The Dances effect was designed for parlour or stage and now I am confident of a solid close-up effect.
Ian, I'm looking around for rope tricks for on the street. I want the rope/s to be examinable, and ungaffed. Any suggestions?
What was first a request on Magiccafe, worked out to be a solution. In practice, I use linking ropes. Some of the moves I do are extreme for the basic apparatus. During the surrounded walk-around, my linking ropes gimmick became useless. I then reverted to the un-gimmicked routine I worked out so I had been prepared. To those of you who have my DVD, I include the ungimmicked method on the back of the DVD.

The great part is, the routine consists of several parts which can be combined or separated or switched around. THAT was why I could continue the routine. The "Dances with Ropes" like any dance, has steps. The opening is a series of three different methods for Professors nightmare, and all methods are ungimmicked. Then there is a transition from nightmare to three equal length ropes which stay equal. Then one of the ropes vanish and winds up in the pocket. In essence you have three equal ropes, that change to two equal ropes, then you retrieve a third rope from the pocket.

Next, you do linking ropes (standard) or ungimmicked (degree of difficulty), but it looks identical to an audience. At the end of linking ropes, you place one of the equal ropes in the pocket leaving you with two equal ropes. They instantly become three equal ropes again WHILE the spectators watch. Then the ropes go back to small, medium and long.

You are completely reset at that point and can do it again. The break in the routine, so that you can make a crowd transition, can be at any one of four places in the routine. Each segment can be its own start point.
----------
Lastly, at one point in the routine, you can segway into Fiber Optics, or Sandsational, or a Tabary move or two, then seamlessly go back to "Dances".
All of the above can be done with or with the gimmick.
------------
There is one part, however, that really is too tough to expect anyone to do without the gimmick (but it can be done), that is the routine on the DVD that goes from the nightmare to three equal length of rope that can be shown separate. That method requires the linking ropes which eliminates the need to find the third rope in the pocket. The cool thing is, that you do that method at the start of your routine, then on the "repeat" of the set, the "start" will look similar but use the pocket method. Those of you who have the effect will understand this more clearly.

If anyone is going to Fab magic in August, I decided to do the ungimmicked version during the busking street event.
Ian-

Just quick thanks and kudos for your DVD. I have shied from the gimmicked rope, but your handling (on this and other things) is so creative and sure-fire that I am putting it into my act asap. Combining with an idea I got from either Sanders or Tabary, I end up with one long rope, completely examinable! Very Nice- thanks again!

Regards,

Jim
[quote]
On 2009-04-20 12:27, mandarin wrote:
Ian-

Just quick thanks and kudos for your DVD. I have shied from the gimmicked rope, but your handling (on this and other things) is so creative and sure-fire that I am putting it into my act asap. Combining with an idea I got from either Sanders or Tabary, I end up with one long rope, completely examinable! Very Nice- thanks again!

Regards,

Jim
[/quote]
Thanks Jim,
The premise of a one-rope effect is entirely possible with "Dances". You can not only end with one rope very easily by adding a compliation of some simple moves, but, you can start with one rope as well. That was not the intent of "Dances". As all of my effects, I prefer to include only the original moves on my DVD and suggest that you can add moves from Tabary as ethics dictate that I not teach the the transition to other artists work.
I found that "Dances with Ropes" techniques fulfill the puzzle between many other rope routines. I have used the moves from "4 nightmares" from Japan, Hen Fetsch "Quadropelets", and "Endless rope" (which is really a Sands effect).
If you do Tabary, Sanders, Sands, and some Daryl effects, my "Dances" can compliment those effects without duplication of their methods.
I feel, that "Dances" stands up on its own, of course, but it also allows you to improvise and think on your feet, as it recognizes transition points to branch off into complimentary moves and then back again.
Ian handles rope with a naturalness, which comes only from understanding rope work and its subtle nuances. He is one of the most creative rope workers I know today. It is a delight to watch him present his routined effects.
Dances With Ropes is a must have DVD

Kotah
This one is a "Must Have"!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Well, I am preparing a final cut release of my Dances with Ropes for National distribution. The last segment takes some elements of the main routine and uses un-gimmicked rope to achieve a very similar effect.
Once the original effects are learned, this last treatises will be very easy to learn. I have done this for magic clubs, and for walk-around and have the spectators handle the ropes before, after and during the effect.
Hope you like it, please comment on the site. Anyone who has the original "Dances", please contact me for the "update download".

http://magicians.podbean.com/dances-with-rope/ordinary-rope/
I have been chatting with Ian and comparing our approaches to doing a complete routine based on ropes. Buy his first -- I'll make learning mine easier when you get it later ;-)

Some new ways of doing old things -- pretty simple, heh?
I just got done with the editing of the newest version. Man, do I hate to give up the older footage but the new stuff was shot in super clear video. Post production was extremely tough.
Murphys magic will be getting copies by the end of the month.
Thanks to all for the success of this item. Lots of Euro buyers, don't know why.
Over half of what I sold went to every country, it just amazes me.
Ian,

My copy is here on my desk. I can see why it appeals to magicians outside the USA. It is extremely visual magic very well suited to people who can't depend on a common language except sight to communicate what's going on.

You know that magic is not an American invention! We are certainly "Johnny come latelies" to magic. Most cultures enjoyed it many centuries before the western world was discovered. They did not give up their magicians just because some people moved west. A good product sells there too. Often, it even sell better there. I have learned it with Silk to Egg and Walk-Around Silk to Egg.

Keep up the good work. We are looking forward to your lecture in Colon, MI in August. The time is nearly here.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
This new segment looks fantastic - great stuff!
I am pleased with Dances With The Rope. I purchased it last year.
[quote]
On 2009-08-06 00:14, Dynamike wrote:
I am pleased with Dances With The Rope. I purchased it last year.
[/quote]
What are you doing up this late? Dancing with ropes? Hope the lecture helped.
Yes, you are right. I wanted to review Dances with Ropes after learning from your wonderful lecture. Seeing you in person inspired me to put more time into Dances with Ropes. Thank you, Ian.
Ian, thanks for giving me the new updated one at the get together in Colon, MI.
The update is a great bonus. The original was a real deal.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Don't forget, if you guys have a club or shop, I have a complete lecture and workshop on this and my other rope effects available. About 2 hrs of moves and techniques. From Sept 8 thru oct 8th, I can come to your area (without having to have other lectures near-bye). As little as three days notice. This coming month ONLY!!
Great fundraiser for your club as well, and it can be on a non-meeting night. All you need is any location and as few as 20 attendees.
Otherwise, I will be available all year as well.
Just passed the 500 sales mark on Dances with Ropes. Sold 218 so far thru Murphys magic, and over 300 thru my own site and Caf� members.
Thanks for your support on this.

Very popular in the UK.
just type in Dances with ropes on any browser for video and info.
Great job Ian!
Love it Ian!
Although it is a popular choice, it will remain to be seen if it lasts the test of time. Many effects I re-issued recently have surpassed the rope effect volume. ie: my diminishing sponge ball is pushing 300 in 3 weeks, and Coin balloon-acy will hit the market with a new DVD in a few weeks and I expect it to have smokin sales.
I make every single item I sell, with the exception of "A little slice of hand" which is in production now after a 20 year hiatus.
The best seller I ever had was "dependelite" match pull, with over 30,000 pieces sold since 1977. That sold 15,000 the first year.
It never made me rich, it only sold for $2 and I sold it to jobbers as low as China could make it. (30 years later it still only sells for $3 2/$5.
I have several new items coming soon.

Coming soon:
linking ropes DVD $10
Ring and spring mini dvd $5
coin balloon-acy DVD (with extras) $20
Pen prediction effects $10 each.
Haunted Deck DVD
Ball and Tube DVD
Ian- Think "downloads" fellow...
I have and sell about six downloads. I have them for over 5 years now.
Haunted Deck: book of revelations $10
Coin Balloon-acy $10.
Professor Ian's Nightmare- $10 (over 200 downloads from Café alone).
Diminishing sponge ball $10
Plus most of my DVD's have downloads for european buyers who want the items fast, or if files on a DVD are corrupt

Thanks Mandarin- I have been ahead of that curve before it was fashionable.
I just viewed the sample vid clip of Ians shrinking sponge ball, on the Murphys site. Very clean, clear, and impressive. You want something magical? You'll want this

Kotah
The service and quality of what I received from Ian was outstanding.
Your accolades, Ian, are well earned! Keep up the good work.
Ted L
What happend to Ian..?
He passed away unfortunately.
What a loss, of Ian. I only wish I could have known him. He contributed so much to magic.
He must have been a great pal, the kind of guy who helped make magic a fun wonderful interactive
fellowship. Getting dances with ropes.
I got Dances with Ropes. This is a must buy. He does not only think out of the box, he destroys the box and thinks without the box. hehe.
He is something else. Rope magic sometimes seems like most of it is just variations of the same routines.

Ian really helps you to think creatively. This is a must have for those who want to make something really happen in their rope magic.
Very creative. Just his tip on the change bag handling helps to elevate things you can do with it to the magical status.