(Close Window)
Topic: Rabbit tear stains
Hi,
I have a dwarf rabbit and for some reason, one of his eyes, gets what seems to be salty build up. The other is fine. Any ideas why?
Thanks!
It may just be "weepy eye". I'm not sure if that is the correct medical term or not, but it's a condition where rabbits eyes tear up and water. It's usually nothing to worry about and clears up on it's own. This is the time of year when shedding is worse in my area, and usually my bunnies eyes water some during shedding periods. I guess hair among other things can get in their eyes and irritate them.

Is it worse at certain times of the year? I can't judge how bad the problem is from your post, but if it does not clear up within a few weeks, or if it worsens, then talk to a vet. I had an eye salve for my bunnies that I used in the past, but it's been years ago.

By all means seek other advice. I am only making a suggestion from my experience. Hopefully someone with more knowledge about those symptoms will chime in.

Good luck!

Regan
I hear runny eyes are a bad sign. I'd take it to a vet, or at least a breeder. . . Rabbits don't really get diseases, as I understand it, but they can be terribly impacted by colds.
Find a very successful person who shows dogs. There is a product called "Angel Eyes" that is specifically used for that. (The winning eyes have it!)

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander