(Close Window)
Topic: Big fat liars!
I am currently putting together a study to find out which profession are the best liars! (not the biggest, or the worst, or the most unethical but the BEST!)

http://honestconman.blogspot.com/2008/07/some-of-people-some-of-time.html for more information.

Which profession do you think are the best at lying?
Politician
[quote]
On 2008-07-31 03:39, Pakar Ilusi wrote:
Politician
[/quote]

Hands down, politicians!

Lyndel
Things that come to mind for me from myown experience, are car salesman, insurance salesman, lawyers, ...
It's been the most requested by far with 3/4 of people putting politicians top of the list!

Any other professions you'd like to test?
Prostitutes & Strippers.
Lol
I think Psychics, Clairvoyants & Mediums should come on top of the list.

I good liar needs to have a very good memory.
Commissioned Salesmen by far. Politicians don't lie as much as they pander so that you like them.
Lawyers don't lie as much as they exploit emotion over reason.
Politicians LIE through their teeth...if their lips are moving they are lieing...they are pandering they are twisting reality to fit thier staying employed...they are the lowest of the low...they are not the BEST liers...they are the MOST liers...the best liers are Actors.

Not all sale folks are crooked Kregg. I was a commisioned salesman and so was my Wife...both successful at it for many years. I NEVER lied to get a sale. 1st rule. Do not lie. Sorry Kregg, you lie, you LOSE a customer...lose a customer because you lied, your an idiot.

I had a very simple formula...#1. Don't lie. #2. Dispell Misconceptions. #3. Ask for the deal.

#2 calls for Knowledge not creativity. Commisioned salespeople who 'Chase' the deal rarely succeeed.

Politicians are a foul bunch who exist on lieing (and pandering) which is why Term Limits are so important...remove the impetus.
Lying takes not only a good memory but education as well (thanks, Twain).

Suprised no one's mentioned contractors yet, so I'll do it. ("Two more weeks, maybe three. Coupla grand, tops.")

If we know or suspect that the groups mentioned are liars, are they really that good at lying? If their "tells" outweigh their words, they're not doing it right, it seems to me.

I would hope Magicians are the best liars.
Ninety nine percent of the Journalists employed by the major television news networks: CBS, NBC, ABC, CNN and their cohorts the Washington Politicians, then the pharmaceutical companies.
Magicians!

Every penny we make is predicated on "I have here an ordinary silk handkerchief and a regular deck of cards."

Times about 10 per show, times number of shows.
Clergy.

No doubt in my mind.

They've been lying since day two.

On [i]day one[/i] they (collectively) might have actually talked to their god(s) -I'm willing to give 'em the benefit of the doubt... But, ever since then, they've been the most dishonest, deceptive and destructive forces within the human experience.

The most honest ones of the bunch don't even know they are lying, they just repeat and believe the lies they've been told.
Gaddy, I'm glad you're omniscient so that you can know, without a doubt, that all religion is just a crock. Thank you for sharing your infallible insights with us.
[quote]
On 2008-07-31 14:16, airship wrote:
Gaddy, I'm glad you're omniscient so that you can know, without a doubt, that all religion is just a crock. Thank you for sharing your infallible insights with us.
[/quote]

You're reading a lot more into what I said than what I actually said. I do concede a "day one" in my [url=http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/opinion][b]OPINION[/b][/url]... This thread is about [url=http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/opinion]opinions[/url], right? Just checking...

I suppose I wouldn't have rocked the boat with my [url=http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/opinion]opinion[/url] if I would have said basketball players are the most dishonest, but that's not what I [url=http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/believe]believe[/url] to be the case.
I can tell you from direct experience that Hollywood agents should be at or near the top of that list, followed by Hollywood producers.
Yeah...Hollywood Agents, just Politicians in training. But yeah they do suck.

I refuse to admit I agree once again with Gaddy....I refuse...grrr.

But at least I think the Clergy have other's welfare in mind for the most part, and it's a means to a happier ending for their adopted flocks.

Politicians only have their own self interest and welfare to them is just a power base to exploit.
Politicians (actually the Government in general)
Agents...I'm not sure which level of Dante's hell they're from but sometimes I wish they would go back!

I would also agree with Gaddy, clergy (I don't think they count though because they don't realize they are lying...well maybe the ones at the Vati...oops I digressed)

Used Car Salesman
Lawyers (never mine)
Insurance companies (never mine)
Psychiatrist (The do have couches in their offices...people lie down for them all the time!)
Is 'husband' considered a job ("Honey what do you think of this outfit...?")
Cable Companies
Phone Companies
AOL (I don't use them anymore but man o man have I heard the horror stories!)
While it would be interesting to test, I'm not sure that clergy would be good liars. Even if we assume that religion is all a pack of lies, the people who practice it tend to believe it (making them more delusional then deceptive).

Under the pressure of having to knowingly lie, I think they might crack!
1) Politicians (who a great majority of are attorneys, go figure)
2) the Media (they are based on making a profit you know)
The Media is just ignorant of their mission and history of their profession and it's place in the world and of history in general.

Testing Clergy...I think it might be very interesting to test them at different stages of their practice...jaded wins me thinks as the beat goes on...not counting the ones who are in it for the money (Plenty of hypocraps there) it must be a tough road to preach what one has come to not really rely on as truth...if the belief gets stronger then the job would be much easier.
I don't think the media is ignorant of their mission. It is to make money and entertain, not to inform. Inform in small doses maybe. Theoretically, I do agree Doug - I just think it's been quite a while since that ethic has been promoted. Hey, maybe these talking heads on tv really do deserve million dollar salaries; they look so informed!
Gaddy, I am with you. mr. bartlett, you forgot FOX, the place were all lies start. watch bill o for a bit, and them tell me in your heart that he is a nice, smart guy...
[quote]
On 2008-07-31 19:58, kcg5 wrote:
Gaddy, I am with you. mr. bartlett, you forgot FOX, the place were all lies start. watch bill o for a bit, and them tell me in your heart that he is a nice, smart guy...
[/quote]

bill o show is an editorial, not a news program. He does not present himself as reporting the news, just commenting on it. I have only watched his program a few times, and he seem to promote class envy a little to much for my taste.
I entered broadcasting in late 1968. We knew the 'mission' and what was not only expected of us but the consequenses of prostituting a free press. Somewhere about the Clintonian age of parsing it got skewed and lines were drawn...coincidently schools started turning out morons as a rule rather than a misfire. I'm not at all saying it was Clinton's fault...it was just the time to happen.

There are still some excellent journalists if you look for them...you'll play hell trying to find any of them on TV...there are a few though.

Calling out Fopx aside from the other lousy channekls is a bit cheezy and and easy since everybody does it. You will see stories on Fox the others wont touch...O'Reily is an entertainer...his ratings are for a reason. The hour with Brit Hume and Krauthammer etc. is some of the best news and commentary on the tube. If there is a farce it is MSNBC...the others are what they are..a piece of the pie...and it's getting stale, Fox included.
I think professionals that register with a licensing board of their professions are not suppose to lie. So professions such as psychiatrists and lawyers can be sued by patients/clients if they intentionally tell a lie or withhold the truth.
[quote]
[/quote]

I don't watch O'Reilly on TV, but I listen to the radio show fairly often. He's clearly a smart guy, and he also strikes me as a nice enough guy (though you can't always tell by someone's public persona). He's also very willing to call it on both sides, unlike most political commentators on the left OR right; as an example, while Sean Hannitty and Rush Limbaugh were minimizing the Scooter Libby situation, O'Reilly was saying that if he had done it, they should nail him. He's also been highly critical of the war, and he credits Obama on numerous issues pretty much daily.

In contrast, I also spend time listening to the local liberal talk radio station (AM 1150 in L.A.), and I have yet to hear any of its hosts make positive remarks about McCain, or acknowledge when the situation in the Middle East gets better (e.g. the post-surge improvement). Of course, that's not unexpected from the "nice guys" who called General Patraeus a credible source on the war when he said what they wanted to hear (it was going badly), and "General Betray-Us" in a large NYT ad when he told them things they didn't want to hear (it was going better).

He's certainly more conservative than I am, but he's also far less a partisan cheerleader than the vast majority of people I hear doing commentary. Then again, as most people have discovered, you can do very well in this country preaching to the choir.
[quote]
On 2008-07-31 20:39, LobowolfXXX wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]

I don't watch O'Reilly on TV, but I listen to the radio show fairly often. He's clearly a smart guy, and he also strikes me as a nice enough guy (though you can't always tell by someone's public persona). He's also very willing to call it on both sides, unlike most political commentators on the left OR right; as an example, while Sean Hannitty and Rush Limbaugh were minimizing the Scooter Libby situation, O'Reilly was saying that if he had done it, they should nail him. He's also been highly critical of the war, and he credits Obama on numerous issues pretty much daily.

In contrast, I also spend time listening to the local liberal talk radio station (AM 1150 in L.A.), and I have yet to hear any of its hosts make positive remarks about McCain, or acknowledge when the situation in the Middle East gets better (e.g. the post-surge improvement). Of course, that's not unexpected from the "nice guys" who called General Patraeus a credible source on the war when he said what they wanted to hear (it was going badly), and "General Betray-Us" in a large NYT ad when he told them things they didn't want to hear (it was going better).

He's certainly more conservative than I am, but he's also far less a partisan cheerleader than the vast majority of people I hear doing commentary. Then again, as most people have discovered, you can do very well in this country preaching to the choir.
[/quote]

I'm not so sure he's so very willing to call it on both sides, as you imply. Billís stand on the war and his position about Libby is still based on his personal belief system, his point of view. If he believed the war was just, his comments would be different, as well the politicians he chooses praise.
He is also being real easy on Obama since he want's him to appear on the show...so he's rather appologetic at times and it's getting a bit too obvious that he doesn't want to rock Obama's boat.
Doug, I think Bill O would like to see Obama in the White house, not just on his show. You have to remember the war is a big issue with Bill and he and Obama share the same point of view of it.
I don't think he wants Obama in the White House, but he could probably be convinced. I also don't think he's being Obama-friendly to get him on the show; he rips a lot of people he'd like to have on the show. When I say "calls it on both sides," I didn't mean that he takes both sides of every issue. Obviously, as a commentator, he offers his opinions. What I mean is that even when doing so, and also when reporting news stories, he doesn't frame the issue in such a way as to make the Republicans look good and the Democrats look bad (as Limbaugh and Hannitty do). Or vice versa. By "both sides" I meant left & right, not his positions and positions he doesn't hold.
People who test Lie Detectors! Must be a Job like that somewhere...

:)
And Actors.
[quote]
On 2008-07-31 23:58, LobowolfXXX wrote:
I don't think he wants Obama in the White House, but he could probably be convinced. I also don't think he's being Obama-friendly to get him on the show; he rips a lot of people he'd like to have on the show. When I say "calls it on both sides," I didn't mean that he takes both sides of every issue. Obviously, as a commentator, he offers his opinions. What I mean is that even when doing so, and also when reporting news stories, he doesn't frame the issue in such a way as to make the Republicans look good and the Democrats look bad (as Limbaugh and Hannitty do). Or vice versa. By "both sides" I meant left & right, not his positions and positions he doesn't hold.
[/quote]

Bill does frame it to slant the way he see it like in the Libby Case.
You seem to be responding to something I'm not saying. My point is that most political commentators frame their presentation to be favorable to the political left, or to the political right. As a guy who is pretty clearly more conservative than liberal, and who works for Fox, the reputation that O'Reilly has is of someone who will frame or present every issue in a pro-Republican way, which is what Hannitty and Limbaugh do an overwhelming majority of the time. The Libby story is an example of O'Reilly not doing that.

In conjunction with, for instance, the Sandy Berger story, it's even more clear. Just about every liberal host blasted Libby's conduct, and said that Berger's wasn't a big deal, and just about every conservative host blasted Berger's conduct, and said that Libby's wasn't a big deal. And you can pretty much tell that just about all of them would have gone the other way had the characters in the story been switched. Ditto, for instance, Clarence Thomas and Bill Clinton, with respect to the Anita Hill and Paula Jones stories. Of the people I've spent the most time listening to, O'Reilly is one of the ones I believe would be most likely to comment the same way on the conduct, regardless of who happened to be involved.
Hannitty and Limbaugh have been very critical of Bush for his refusal to veto pork barrel spending and passing liberal bills put before him. They have only defended Bush on the handling of the war and the appointments of Supreme Court judges. They say that they feel like most conservatives do about the up coming election is between a candidates that defend this country and one that will sell it out to the U.N... Bill is all for the cut and run policies of Obama, I guess that does make FOX fair and balanced.

:spoon:
[quote]You're reading a lot more into what I said than what I actually said. I do concede a "day one" in my OPINION... This thread is about opinions, right? Just checking... [/quote]

Gaddy, you're right. Please accept my apology.
No prob, Airship... It's a hot-button, I know, but I thought it'd be more compelling than another vote for lawyers and politicians...
Wow! Way to hijack a thread kids!

You'd all make terrible scientists! You get distracted REAL easy!
[quote]
On 2008-08-03 20:56, Nicholas J. Johnson wrote:
Wow! Way to hijack a thread kids!

You'd all make terrible scientists! You get distracted REAL easy!
[/quote]

I'm guilty as charged, but there have been a lot of scientific discovery made by accident. :juggle:
Personal injury lawyers, sleazy used car salesmen, politicians.
I given this a lot of thought and I would have to say, since con men permeate every profession, the best liars are with out a doubt CON MEN.
[quote]
On 2008-07-31 14:11, gaddy wrote:
Clergy.

No doubt in my mind.

They've been lying since day two.

On [i]day one[/i] they (collectively) might have actually talked to their god(s) -I'm willing to give 'em the benefit of the doubt... But, ever since then, they've been the most dishonest, deceptive and destructive forces within the human experience.

The most honest ones of the bunch don't even know they are lying, they just repeat and believe the lies they've been told.
[/quote]
In order for it to be a lie one must know that what they are saying is untrue. Therefore, they are either all liars or none are. Having been a member of the clergy I take great umbrage at this comment as I never once lied to a congregation or anybody else.
By universally calling them destructive forces, I assume that you think it was a bad thing when they were fighting against slavery in the US (unfortunately against some of their own colleagues).I take it you also thought (Rev) Martin Luther King was more of a pied piper who got people all worked up, not for an ideal, but to make himself look good?
As to the guys on TV who hold telethons every other month, you'll get no argument there.
Surprisingly, as a retired clergy person, I would have to agree with Gaddy. I, too, think that clergy are somewhat a dishonest group of folk.
BUT, it is not quite that simple...
Some people simply state what they "believe" whether it is the truth or not.
SO... if a person promulgates the Virgin Birth, is he/she being dishonest if he/she believes it to be true?
If someone "believes" that prayer changes things, is he/she lying when that viewpoint is stated?
If we agree that the clergy is a dishonest bunch, then surely, philosophers would fall into the same category.
I find this to be an intriguing line of thought.
Peace,
Parson
Edit
Chessmann,
I understand what you are saying about being over the top with..."they've been the most dishonest, deceptive and destructive forces within the human experience."
But if we take into consideration the widely and wildly diverse beliefs that are held, it seems to me that there might be a bit of wisdom in taking a closer look.
I live within a mile of two churches. One has a woman serving. One has a man serving who says that God does not allow women to speak for "Him."
So many wars fought in the name of God and both sides saying, "God is on our side."
If they are not lying, then they must be at least... confused.

Parson
[quote]
On 2009-06-18 00:12, Parson Smith wrote:
Chessmann,
I understand what you are saying about being over the top with..."they've been the most dishonest, deceptive and destructive forces within the human experience."
But if we take into consideration the widely and wildly diverse beliefs that are held, it seems to me that there might be a bit of wisdom in taking a closer look.
I live within a mile of two churches. One has a woman serving. One has a man serving who says that God does not allow women to speak for "Him."
So many wars fought in the name of God and both sides saying, "God is on our side."
If they are not lying, then they must be at least... confused.

Parson
[/quote]

Parson, PM'd you.
[quote]
On 2008-07-31 06:17, Lyndel wrote:
Prostitutes & Strippers.
[/quote]

Bad experience? LOL!

Anyway, I think any person in sales. Especially if they're working on commission
[quote]
On 2009-06-17 23:49, Parson Smith wrote:
If we agree that the clergy is a dishonest bunch, then surely, philosophers would fall into the same category.
[/quote]

The greatest con man I ever knew personally was a preacher. The greatest con men in all history have been theologians and philosophers.
Doctors and the AMA are really making great strides in the field of professional dishonesty these days, too.

I suppose you can lump in the big drug companies, too if you really want a slam dunk.
I don't think politicians can be called the best liars because we are all on to them.

Prostitutes are, I think, quite honest, because one way or another, you come away from them having got what they told you you'd get. Politicians, on the other hand, make no promises to screw you, but do, and we all know they are going to do it.

I would nominate the various models and actresses who promote beauty treatments in infomercials, and who variously fail to mention their long marriage to a plastic surgeon, or promote their line as a viable alternative to the supposedly painful and potentially dangerous botox injections that they themselves get.
I don't think anybody would dispute politicians as the first choice.
Telephone salesmen are up there on my list (including the ones who do political surveys.)
Lawyers.
Police.
Used car salesmen.
Bodybuilding supplement makers.
Actually, most professions have liars in them. People who hate their jobs will lie to you to get you to leave them alone. They will tell you that you need to go to a different office, or to try their trick to fix your computer and call back.
How about "alternative medicine" practitioners who sell expensive crap that even they know has no health benefit?
They're the same ones who make bodybuilding supplements that don't do anything.
How about me?
You're not fat.
Politicians and lawyers are the biggest liars.

I'm a commission only salesman and I don't have to lie about my product, it's the best system in the country and I have the proof.
Jeff, politicians are the worst liars- as has been said already, it's easy to know when they're lying: their lips are moving. Find a ventriliquist politician, and we might be in trouble.

I once offered to show a product I was testing to someone in the marketing department. They told me they didn't want to see it, or know anything about it beyond their bullet-point sheet, since it might make it tougher for them to sell. (Granted, it was a shoddy product, but...)
Actually, customers probably lie more than most salespeople do.
"I don't have any money." - "I will think about it and call you back." Etc, Etc.

I agree, politicians would have to be at the top of the list.

Tom
Nobody has any money these days. Sounds legitimate to me:)

[quote]
On 2009-06-18 13:02, TomBoleware wrote:
"I don't have any money." - "I will think about it and call you back." Etc, Etc.
[/quote]
[quote]
On 2008-07-31 06:15, daffydoug wrote:
Things that come to mind for me from myown experience, are car salesman, insurance salesman, lawyers, ...
[/quote]

Lawyers, at least during trials, generally ask questions. They make arguments of law, but they don't present direct evidence. My first job as a lawyer was in Worker's Comp, and the managing partner (who, coincidentally, is a magician (Magic Castle member)), used to say that he found it really curious (and annoying) that lawyers got a rep for being shady, while doctors are generally extremely well-respected, yet in all of our cases, it was the doctors giving the testimony that swung the cases is one of the practice areas that fosters some of the most cynicism about the legal profession.
[quote]
On 2009-06-18 13:02, TomBoleware wrote:
[/quote]

That is a very good point.

Some of my worst experiences have come from interactions with Time Share salespersons.
OOOOOOH. Time share salesmen. Got to calm down. Got to lower blood pressure.

Think nice thoughts.

Log off now and nobody gets hurt....
LOL!
I know the feeling Chessmann.
We take the bait, then we try to be nice,
not be rude and say, you a big fat liar.

I guess thatís what we get for trusting
them in the first place. :)

Tom
[quote]
On 2008-07-31 03:27, Nicholas J. Johnson wrote:
I am currently putting together a study to find out which profession are the best liars! (not the biggest, or the worst, or the most unethical but the BEST!)

http://honestconman.blogspot.com/2008/07/some-of-people-some-of-time.html for more information.

Which profession do you think are the best at lying?
[/quote]

Well, maybe they're not the BEST at lying, but the most amusing are the many posters here who say they're professional performers.

*jeep! and God Bless
---Grandpa
[quote]
On 2009-06-18 17:17, mormonyoyoman wrote:

Well, maybe they're not the BEST at lying, but the most amusing are the many posters here who say they're professional performers.

*jeep! and God Bless
---Grandpa
[/quote]

Funniest of the lot. Thanks!
[quote]
On 2008-07-31 09:36, Doug Higley wrote:

I had a very simple formula...#1. Don't lie. #2. Dispell Misconceptions. #3. Ask for the deal.

#2 calls for Knowledge not creativity. Commisioned salespeople who 'Chase' the deal rarely succeeed.

[/quote]

Great thought process Doug. I like it.
Check out this salesman...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-AXTx4PcKI